Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #1  
karrier

S/C/G: 265/239/130

Height: 5'3"

Exclamation Help I need some advice on safe places to eat

I am leaving (on a jet plane) on Sunday and will be in L.A. on Monday. That begins a month long vacation (most of which I hope will be low carb). Chicago is next then Orlando then Greenville SC.

Can someone out there give me some good LC places to eat in all cities as we will be eating out every day. I know I can make most menu choices better but I have heard that there are some restaurant chains that are LC friendly. When I was there 4 yrs ago (1st time doing Atkins) I found it really difficult to get some places to make even the slightest changes.

I want to come back slimmer.

karrier
karrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:02 AM   #2  

I can't give you specific restaurant suggestions, but it is very easy to eat out when doing Atkins. Every restaurant will have steak and salads. My usuals are grilled chicken caesar (no croutons, please) and grilled fish or steak. Most restaurants will substitute extra veggies for the potato or rice. Breakfasts are very easy when doing low carb -- eggs (scrambled, fried, poached, omelet), sausage or bacon (hopefully it doesn't have too much sugar in it), and depending on what Atkins phase you're in, fresh fruit.

I suggest you have some emergency rations -- boiled eggs, pepperoni, raw veggies -- on hand to stave off any munchies that might result in eating something you shouldn't.

Good luck.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #3  
Haley

karrier, are you on Atkins or just trying to eat low carb? Can be VERY different on terms of what good things to eat are...
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:10 PM   #4  
refreshingly unoriginal

Ruby Tuesday (national chain) has an Atkins-friendly diet I believe...Applebees also offers something similar in a sub-menu. I'd say your best bet is to go ahead and ask the waiter what they have that is "light." Who knows, you could have IBS or something and can't eat anything too heavy with too much salt, etc.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I shouldn't think you'd have a problem in LA - it's a very health-oriented town (well they do have a little bit of everything).

And it would be a shame to limit yourself to chain restaurants when there are so many options. Keep in mind that most restaurants (at least here and in LA) are very accomodating with dietary requests.

Here's a good place to start your research:

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/fin...taurants.html?

Also try the LA Times website - check their food/restaurants section for reviews and such.

You can also use CitySearch to check places in Chicago!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote