Weight Loss Support - So what am I doing wrong? Take a peek please

~lookin for lean~
06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
I finished griping about how I can't loose weight..maybe you can tell me what I should be doing (or not be doing)

BF: Kellogs smart start w skim milk

lunch: salad with a little bit of dressing and a tiny piece of chicken or sometimes the amount of chicken you get in a wendys salad. ANd if I can get ranch dressing I will use about 3 tablespoons.

snack: cup of yogury, low fat

dinner: about 6oz meat or less and a steamed or boiled vegatable like brocoli or string beans. If its string beans I might put a little shed spread on it

snack: skinny cow

sometimes a second snack, bag of 110 pop corn or a bannana or a sugar free jello

About 96 ounces of water

I do best eating the same thing pretty much every day. WHat do I need to eliminate or add to make this work?

I have to loose over 100 pounds... Haven't been able to loose one yet.

I exercise too, not a ton and not as much as I would like to. I get so discouraged and quit.. usually because when I exercise every day I gain weight.. and not just 6 pounds the scale just keeps going up.

IF this looks right and my body is just exteemly hesitant to let the pounds go, I will keep eating this.. but please tell me if I am doing something wrong. All this suffering should lead to something good. I would rather suffer more and actually loose something :mad:

CoolMom75
06-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Some good information, to get started, would be:

How many calories you are eating per day?
Height and weight?
How active you are? (ie. what kind of work, how often/how long you exercise)

This will give you/us a better idea of how many calories your body needs to maintain and how many to lose, and then we can compare that to how many calories you are actually consuming per day.

almostheaven
06-23-2005, 11:58 PM
What CoolMom said. Seems to me that if you have 100 lbs to lose, and from that sample menu, my "first" guess would be that you're not eating enough calories and your body is holding onto them. But without all the info, that's just a guess. And you're very likely going to gain a bit when you exercise. If you quit and start because of the gain discouraging you, you'll really not be able to break the cycle. If you continue, that small gain will start decreasing eventually.

MrsJim
06-24-2005, 12:54 AM
I finished griping about how I can't lose weight..maybe you can tell me what I should be doing (or not be doing)

IMO - not enough 'healthy' food, too many refined foods w/sugar....

BF: Kellogs smart start w skim milk

You don't say what your portion size is (I know cold cereal is defnitely a 'red light' food for me because I can sit down and eat nearly an entire box if I wanted to - it goes down very easily). According to Kelloggs' website, there is a BUTTLOAD of sugar in that (not so) 'smart' cereal:

Ingredients:
Oat bran, sugar, oat clusters (sugar, toasted oat [rolled oats, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, molasses, honey], wheat flakes, crisp rice [rice, sugar, malt, salt], corn syrup, polydextrose, honey, cinnamon, BHT for freshness, artificial vanilla flavor), rice, high fructose corn syrup, malt flavoring, salt, potassium chloride, baking soda, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), niacinamide, zinc oxide, reduced iron, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1), BHT (preservative), vitamin A palmitate, folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin D.

And just a CUP of this cereal contains 200 calories - BEFORE the milk. As far as protein - even the 'soy protein' doesn't have all that much protein in it - 10 grams of what I suspect is fairly low-grade soy concentrate. And how satisfied does a bowl of cold cereal get you?

Here's some alternatives you might think about:

If you *MUST* have cold cereal - there are plenty of other (healthier) options that actually taste pretty darn good-my favorite being Quaker Corn Bran (tastes great AND has lots of fiber).

Of course IMO oatmeal is the king of healthy breakfast cereal - hot oatmeal out of the microwave. I usually add a few frozen blueberries before nuking. What I eat with it (for protein) is an omelette made with 1 whole egg and 4 or 5 eggwhites - I don't usually put anything in the middle though, sometimes a bit of low-fat or fat-free cheese if I have any (maybe a tablespoon just as a condiment). That keeps me going for awhile.

Around 10:00 I'll have a piece of fruit (right now it's peaches as they are in season and at their peak at this point).

lunch: salad with a little bit of dressing and a tiny piece of chicken or sometimes the amount of chicken you get in a wendys salad. ANd if I can get ranch dressing I will use about 3 tablespoons.

What do you mean by 'a tiny piece of chicken'? It's been awhile since I've been to Wendy's so I really don't know how much chicken they put on their salads. Generally a 'woman's' serving should be around 3.5 oz, preferably of white breast meat. You don't mention if that dressing is regular or reduced calorie - if it's regular that can really pack a whallop. I have a salad almost every day - one I assemble myself at the salad bar. What's in your salad - I hope not just some iceberg lettuce with carrot shavings and a 'tiny piece of chicken'. A salad can be a great, filling, healthy meal but I'd reduce the amount of dressing (and use reduced-calorie type - also try a different type of dressing - rather than a thick creamy dressing, try one a little more liquidy - one that will cover a large amount of salad ingredients while using less. (I add my own dressing when I get home from the store - put the lid back on the container and Sh sh shake it until the dressing is well blended).

snack: cup of yogury, low fat

There are a lot of "lowfat" yogurts on the market that are pretty high in calories - good national brands to use are Dannon Light & Fit and Yoplait Light. The thing about yogurt (at least for me) is that by itself it is JUST not that satisfying - it runs in and out of the stomach in no time flat - plus it's pretty low in protein (I keep harping about protein - not that I'm an Atkins or low-carb advocate but if you're trying to lose weight, protein is really great at filling you up and keeping you satisfied for a longer period of time). The solution to that? Add COTTAGE CHEESE to your yogurt - just mix them together and chill (better yet - get a hand blender (like a Braun) and blend it into a smooth mixture - then put it in the fridge (you might want to add a drop or two of vanilla and maybe a little Splenda). It is SO filling and tasty!

dinner: about 6oz meat or less and a steamed or boiled vegatable like brocoli or string beans. If its string beans I might put a little shed spread on it

snack: skinny cow

sometimes a second snack, bag of 110 pop corn or a bannana or a sugar free jello

First off - ace the skinny cow. Instead - have a healthy complex carb with your dinner. Not just meat and veg. (I know a lot of people trying to lose weight will tell you to cut out all carbs except for green veggies at night but that's not me). A bit of sweet potato (like 1/2 cup mashed) would be perfect IMO. Or have a piece of fruit after your meal. (Watermelon sounds good right now!). The SF Jello isn't a big deal, what is it, five calories?

I have to loose over 100 pounds... Haven't been able to loose one yet.

I exercise too, not a ton and not as much as I would like to. I get so discouraged and quit.. usually because when I exercise every day I gain weight.. and not just 6 pounds the scale just keeps going up.

Exactly WHAT kind of exercise are you doing? What is your intensity level - is your heartbeat increased, are you breaking a sweat? I'm sure that most of the regular exercisers would agree with me in this - you have to be dedicated and CONTINUE on to see results, while exercising effectively.

IF this looks right and my body is just exteemly hesitant to let the pounds go, I will keep eating this.. but please tell me if I am doing something wrong. All this suffering should lead to something good. I would rather suffer more and actually loose something :mad:

The thing is...even with whatever I (or anyone else) says here - we aren't THERE with you. We can't gauge by watching you eat or exercise what you're doing wrong, all we can do is guess by what you've written.

My best guess for areas that you might need to work on are:

Motivational - getting your motivation up
Portion control - not knowing 'exactly how much' you are eating (even a 'healthy' (or so-called 'healthy') food can make you fat if you eat too much of it).
Lack of essential nutrients (too many simple carbs, not enough protein or complex carbs)
Exercise - consistency and quality (find something YOU enjoy doing and KEEP doing it - adding in new stuff as you go along).

Whew...someone else can add their two cents.

gray eyed girl
06-24-2005, 01:10 AM
My first thought was also that you weren't eating quite enough. I think the 2 previous posters know way more about this than I do, considering how much further along they are in their weight loss efforts, but that was my first thought. I've also seen it suggested here to switch up what you eat so that you don't get the same # of calories every day. Your body can "get used" to having a certain amount of calories and will start merrily storing calories as fat, because it has the same amount of calories to work with every day. So although you mentioned that it's easier to eat the same thing every day, you may want to switch it up a little bit - have an extra snack one day, an extra glass of milk another day, skip a snack the next day. Just to keep your body guessing a little.

MrsJim
06-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Okay - after I posted the above I did a search and found this post from you which was posted a few days ago (14 June):

BF: Kellogs smart start cereal and skim milk
Lunch: That awful mediteranan salad at wendys with just a little bit of the vinegette dressing.
Snack: To kill the taste of the salad... Popcorn 110 calorie pack SOuth Beach bar
Dinner: Baked Salmon, angel hair pasta with a sauce, broccoli, Crystal light Peach ice tea
Snack: bannana, skinny cow, a second popcorn 110 cal pack
I also rode a mile and a half on my exercise bike.

Okay...since you said 'you eat the same thing every day' I can assume this is par for the course...yes?

I just added all that up on Fitday - comes to over 1700 calories - all you really need to do is get rid of the pastas and most of the evening snacks (keep the fruit - but I'd have a lower-sugar fruit like a peach, personally) and ramp up the exercise and you will most likely start to lose weight.

Oh and DON'T weigh yourself more than once a week!

kykaree
06-24-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm so glad one of the "holy trinity" of maintainers posted here (Mel, Meg and Mrs Jim) that's my nickname for the three of you. I may not reply to your posts often, but I read them all. You three really know what you are talking about!!!

I wouldn't have said it as well as Mrs Jim, but they were my thoughts. I know I am still just starting out, well a third of the way there, and I have over 100 lbs to lose as well.

I eat quite a lot of complex carbs, I no longer eat bread (well once a month - as a special treat when I buy the best bread in the world at our farmers market) and very rarely eat pasta. I also no longer eat snack food. When I started out I ate mini rice cakes or other "low fat" 100 calorie snacks, but decided in the end it was 100 calories wasted, when I could be eating fruit, cheese (often cottage cheese after exercise - I thought I hated it, but after reading the Ladies who Lift threads decided it better get into my diet) or meat protein rather than cardboard.

For breakfast it is always oatmeal, with a teaspoon of honey and berries. I have three lunches!!! For my first lunch at 12 ish I have protein, either a portion of lean chicken or salmon, for my next lunch at 4 I have salad (usually with either couscous, burghul wheat or bean salad for the complex carbs) and then at 5.30 have a bit more salad and some fruit. I have started weight training and am really hungry all the time, so though splitting the lunch was the best way to go. For dinner it's fish, chicken or lean red meat, plenty of veg, and a modest serving of brown rice, quinoa or other complex carb.

I eat tiny amounts of good cheese every now and then. I was eating skinny cow, but decided it was too high in mysterious additives and I would be better off having a controlled portion of good cheese instead. I cut out all cheese for 5 months, so that when I re introduced it, a tiny portion was enough. Dairy was my great downfall before starting this eating plan.

I keep playing with my diet and exercise, and change things up every 8 weeks. It's working for me so far. The thing about losing a lot of weight, is that it has to be slow. I get frustrated, especially now that I feel so much fitter, that some exercises are hard because of the fat roll on my stomach, and I just want it gone......yesterday, but life and weight loss isn't like that. Slow and steady, don't panic, and enjoy your food, your exercise and your life, don't put everything on hold until you are slim. And stay positive!

You'll do it, just hang in there.

Ilene
06-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Geez MeL , MeG and MrsJim, I think all your informative posts are finally sinking in YAY :dance: .... So way to go :high: Kykaree for being a lurker who learns....

aphil
06-24-2005, 08:42 AM
On one note of the calorie content, there are two kinds of South Beach bars, the meal replacement ones that are around 220, and the cereal bars that are around 140 each.
There are also no portion sizes listed for the angel hair pasta, cereal, and so forth-so you could be eating 100 calories of those things, or 400. It is really hard for us to estimate when we don't have all of the information.

Ahealthierme
06-24-2005, 10:22 AM
I agree with MrsJim...basically what I would do if I were you- ditch the cereal, instead have an egg white omlet with some veggies and a few slices of lean turkey bacon or oatmeal. The only cereal I ever eat is Cheerios (110 cals a cup) or raisin bran (which I ONLY eat if Im in dire need of fiber, if ya know what I mean.) The only reason I nit pick about your cereal is that breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day, after a long fast your body needs complex carbs and protein.

then I would start measuring everything out according to serving size. I didnt see "well I have a cup of this, or a tblspoon of that" you didnt list any measurements and that's dangerous. I used to think a cup of cereal was the whole bowl- a cup of cereal is less than half the bowl!! I was taking in twice the calories because I never bothered to measure things out!!

I would also suggest looking at food as healthy versus junk...for example strawberries versus a skinny cow. Even though a skinny cow is low cal/ low fat it really doesnt provide a lot of tangible nutrition, they should be reserved for every once in awhile or occasional treats...if you had a bowl of strawberries with a little ff cool whip on them I think you'd get that same sweet tooth satisfied and have given your body a satisfying antioxidant rich treat.

You also shouldnt be eating the same thing every day. Your body (and tastebuds!!) need variety!

Other than that I think you're on the right track and working hard! Good for you, I think with a few tweeks (mainly counting every calorie out and recording it) you will see the results you deserve! Good luck!!

Trudi
06-24-2005, 11:20 AM
MrsJim - excellent, excellent, excellent.

Lookingforlean - for one week, weigh and measure everything you eat and enter it into fitday and determine exactly how many calories you are consuming and expending and if you're getting adequate protein/fat/carbohydrates in your daily diet. What we think we are eating and what we are really eating can often be 2 very very different things. "a slice of bread" means nothing. A 1 oz slice of high fibre bread varies greatly from a 3oz slice of regular bread.

http://www.thecolumn.org/how-many-calories-do-i-need.asp
That site will help you determine how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. subtract 500 calories per day and you'll lose 1lb each week.

Eating too little is as detrimental as eating too much. Our bodies know when they are not being nourished and they will hold on to every single calorie in reserve to prevent starvation. You need to teach your body that it is getting what it needs, so it can burn fuel efficiently and steadily.

All the best! Keep coming back for support!

aphil
06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I want to note that you may want to use a different calorie guide if you are in the US, this one goes by kilos instead of pounds.

paperclippy
06-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Just to add one thing . . . the same diet doesn't work for everyone. A lot of people have said to ditch the cold cereal and eat eggs or oatmeal or both, but I find that for me at least, eating cold cereal in the morning (I eat smart start too) is one of the things that keeps me going. I usually have 1C cereal, about 3/4C skim milk, and a handful of blueberries or strawberry slices in it, and it has worked perfectly well for me (as you can see by the fact that I'm still losing). Some people are still hungry after eating that breakfast (like my bf, who can eat a whole box of cereal and still be hungry), but I think if it is enough for you, it's fine. I think it totals somewhere around 350 calories or a little more, but I'm not positive. Cold cereal works better for me than oatmeal, because the only way I can stomach oatmeal is with a ton of brown sugar on top, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I also use Lean Cuisine to help me with portion control, so I know my lunches are low-cal, and I always eat Dannon fruit at the bottom yogurt, which isn't as low-cal as Lite and Fit or some of the others, but IMO tastes way better (and is still only like 140 cals).

As for carbs . . . I think everyone knows that whole grains are the best, but it's not like you're going to suddenly gain 50 lbs or die or something if you eat some white rice or regular pasta or a piece of white bread. It is possible to lose weight while eating white rice and regular pasta, which I know because I am doing it. I have switched to wheat bread though, but I could never cut bread out entirely. Some people can, and for them, great, but you have to find what works for YOU.

The key, IMO, is to pick a plan that you can follow for the rest of your life. If cutting carbs is going to make you obsess about how much you want them, then cutting carbs is not the plan for you. Same for a low-fat diet, or any diet that cuts a particular thing. Maybe eating the same stuff you always have, but modifying the portion sizes is what is right for you. Everyone is different and different things work for different people. Hang in there, and I'm sure you will find what works for you. I'd suggest using fitday.com to find out how many calories you're actually eating, and like the above people said, find out how many calories you should be eating to lose weight. Stick with the exercise too, because IMO it's even more important than eating right.

Good luck!

Lizzyg
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I understand how frustrating it is to loose weight. I've tried so many times before. I am NOT an expert at all, and everyone has given you such great advice.

One thing, as others have suggested, measure out EVERYTHING! Its a HUGE surprise when you start measuring out your food. I was so shocked when I realized how much food I was eating before. And keep track and write down what you are eating every day. I just made a quick MS word document and type in each day and what I ate.

I'm doing WW, so I'm still able to eat foods that on other diets aren't allowed, and for me that helps. At this point, for me, it would be too difficult to completely give up certain foods, and I know I'd end up failing.

I also still eat cold cereal for breakfast. Right now, its Special K (mainly because that was one of the 'healthy' brands on sale last week). Its getting to the point where 1 cup IS satisfying and filling for me, where as before I was measuring it out, I'd eat a huge bowl of cereal. I also add fresh strawberries sometimes. Today instead of milk, I put the cereal on one cup of Dannon Light and Fit strawberry yogurt.

Like Paperclippy, I haven't cut out bread either, but for my sandwiches for lunch, I use a whole grain wheat bread now, instead of white bread. I still eat rice and pasta, but not as much as I was before. I measure it out, and have a serving size.

I was getting into the habit of eating pretty much the same thing everyday for breakfast and lunch, but I'm trying to switch it up. And that helps me to not get bored with what I'm eating.

As everyone has said, you have to do what works for you, and stick with it.

~Liz

~lookin for lean~
06-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Wow, What a response! I am 5'4 and have to loose about 120 pounds. You guys are being really great and I am being really stupid. Denial I guess. I just wish I could lay this out into something I can do every day.... because I can eat the same foods everyday. I can't start thinking about all my meals because that throws me off and I start obsessing about every little thing... and get nothing done and loose no weight.

Ok... I can eat the same thing everyday.. I stopped eating the carb with dinner, it was a small amount (about 3 tablespoons).

I started eating the Kellogs because I saw so many of you eating it here. I prefer eggs, but egg whites only... eech! What a waste of a good yolk! I like oatmeal but I understand the instant microwave type I prefer gets my blood sugar going for the day.

When I say tiny piece of chicken I am talking one small bite of chicken. A tiny piece abut an inch long. But on occassion I go to Wendys and get one of their salads, if I use their dressing I put a few drops on.. if I bring it home and use mine I use about 3 to 4 tablespoons.

By the way, my exercise has not been much to speak of. Like posted earlier, a mile on my bike. I want to increase that but I need to know I have the diet down first.

~lookin for lean~
06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
By the way... the yougurt is Axelrods fat free. 90 calories, 17 carbs. Do you think that is a good choice? Would that be good for a breakfast instead of cereal or eggs?

LHB1977
06-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Hmmm.... I am certainly no expert or anything, but it seems to me that you aren't eating enough food. When I went to LA Weight Loss, they told me that the main reason I was overweight was because I didn't eat enough. When I started eating more throughout the day - and healthier - the weight started melting off. Also, something I found that helped me was having protien for breakfast instead of a carb - like cereal. I would have 2 scrambled eggs and an orange - sometimes a piece of 40 cal Wheat Bread toast - and I noticed that I lost more weight the weeks I had this for breakfast. Also, just eating more protein in general helps. A proper serving size of say, chicken, is about the size of your fist. And veggies are your friend! From my experience and IMO, the way you are eating - and especially since you say this is what you eat everyday - you won't stick to it. At least I didn't! You can't put yourself on a diet - you just have to make healthier food choices. Diets never last. Trust me. Eating like that gets very old very fast - you are more likely to binge or just quit. Variety is the spice of life! Try different veggies instead of salad everyday. Experiement with different salt free spices. One of my favorite dishes on LAWL was I took chicken breast and ground up Melba toast (one of the breads you could have) added some garlic powder and Italian seasonings to the crumbs, stuffed my chicken with it, brushed the meat with balsalmic vinegerette and baked it. YUM YUM! And I had that with fresh veggies and a salad. You just have to get creative with what you eat to keep you from getting bored!
As far as excercise goes, even just walking around the block is better than nothing. You don't have to run a marathon or bench press a million pounds to get excercise! Even little things like taking the stairs, parking further away, walking to your co-workers desk instead of calling/emailing - every little bit helps. It's so easy to sit on the couch and tell yourself "Oh I can't lift weights or do a gym workout because it hurts!" But you can do SOMETHING! Since I have gotten my dog, I have lost 6 pounds - and I know most of that is because of walking her everyday. Even just to the mailbox and back. So get up and DO it! I am the queen of excuses! I can excuse away ANYTHING! That's why I am almost 100 lbs overweight. I've "excused" myself for it and just sat on my butt and felt sorry for myself. NO MORE! No one forced us to get fat - and no one is going to force us to lose the weight. You have to do it for yourself - and no one else. Nike is right on the money with their "Just Do It" campaign..... you have to just do it. I have whined and asked "Well, how do you do it? What do you do? How do you get the motivation?" And it's finally clicked - YOU JUST DO IT. You want to lose weight? Quit whining about it, get up off of the couch, and DO IT! (you said we weren't being hard enough on you! :^: )

BIGGIRL27
06-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree with what a lot of folks are saying, but I've just got to chime in :)

Yes, if you have about 100 lbs to lose, you're not eating enough. Also, your morning cereal may be letting you down due to it's sugar content - it's a high GI food which means it will raise your blood sugar and make you feel hungry sooner - and the body doesn't have to really WORK to get rid of it. I would replace that with some oatmeal w/ fruit or fruit conserve (like low sugar preserves... it's got chunks of real fruit in it). If you don't like oats, I would suggest fruit and yogurt in the morning or a fruit smoothie (no sugar or syrup, use juice).

The second thing I would do is increase your protein. I work tuna/chicken/salmon into my salads.

Lastly, I would eat as much leafy greens I wanted to and chill out on starchy stuff like baked potatos and white bread, etc. THIS DOES NOT MEAN DON'T EAT CARBS. Eat more wholegrain/complicated carbs like wholemeal breads, wholemeal pasta, brown riceetc.

I learned this stuff from the GI Diet - it's not really a diet. Have a look. Basically, I eat what I ate before except I don't eat white breads, rice, or pasta very often. I buy lean meats and make them with 'healthy oils' like olive oil. I eat fruit, yogurt, and leafy green veg to my heart's content! I find that I lose weight even when I have a 'slip up' basically because of these changes.

About exercise. I think you are gaining lean muscle mass when you exercise. The fact that you're gaining 'a lot' could indicate a few things. First, do you eat a lot more fatty foods or carbs when you exercise? If so, this could be it. I find that when I'm really into my exercise I get hungrier, but what I try to do is have an apple before my meals or after exercise. The second thing I think the gain could mean is that your body craves or needs to have more muscle mass so it builds it quickly. Don't get discouraged when your diet is on track and you're exercising a lot but you're gaining weight (I know it's hard, but try reminding yourself you're building that muscle up and muscle weighs more than fat). In the long run, having more muscle mass definitely increases your metabolism and burns more fat. So, you may show gains at first, then sometimes maintenance and sometimes a loss. I would encourage you to take your inches when you begin exercise, so that even if the number on the scale rises, you'll know that your body is in fact shrinking.

I think your water intake is excellent. Hope this helps.

FYI, I had a lot of trouble losing weight in the past when I just 'cut way back' - I seemed to just maintain. When I started the GI diet for real, I lost 7lbs/week for the first 2 weeks and my progress since is below. I maintained twice - once Flo was in town and the second time because I was on holiday and went on a 'maintenance break.' Also, I once did LA Weight Loss but gave up b/c I couldn't deal with all that measuring. I don't measure my food and yet I lose weight. I do know that a portion of meat looks like a deck of cards or a fist size, but I tend to eat all the leafy greens I want, and if I'm hungry all the fruit I want (except I refrain from too many bananas - my downfall!). I make sure that my pastas/breads/rice, etc are only taking up about a quarter of the plate - most of the time. Sometimes I have more. And I still lose weight. Just like paperclippy said, different things work for different people. I'm just sharing what has worked for me since I used to 'diet' just like you seem to be dieting and never lose weight.

Good luck and keep your head up!

LHB1977
06-24-2005, 02:03 PM
BIGGIRL27, do you have a link to the GI Diet? I would like to look over that! :)

snappy
06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Ok so I haven't read ALL the reply posts, but just to chime in...

Keep an eye on your SALT intake. I know it sounds archaeic and so 1945, but if you happen to be a major H2O retainer (like moi,) it can pay to limit your salt, AND drink more water, AND talk to your doctor about a diuretic (I know I spelled that wrong--can't remember. bah!)

There are a few giveaways that you're retaining water. Obviously one part of you can swell up massively (like your legs, ankles, etc.) or if you're like me, just your middle (skin feels spongier than usual and clothes that fit last week won't close around your new bulbous midsection.) A quick test is the "ring" test. If rings are really tight on your fingers or more difficult than usual sliding over your knuckles, you could be retaining water. Make a fist and see if it feels like your skin around your fingers and palms is tighter/pudgier than usual. That's a telltale sign.

But...no home remedies I know of...just less salt. More water may or may not help for some people. The surefire way to tell is to see your doctor and see if a diuretic helps shed 2, 5, or in my case, 13 pounds.

Well I'm off to excercise now I guess...cheers!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/heartbar/cartoonfish01/lb/200/145/195/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

WastedThermos
06-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Everyone has given really really good advice about the nutrition and that is a vital part of weightloss and a healthy lifestyle.
However I think you really need to make exercise a part of your everday life too. It is easy to put off working out until you really get the diet down, or lose a few pounds but you are doing your body and injustice this way.
I have found that treating my body to exercise and sweating and sore muscles is a reminder to me when I think about the foods I'm going to use as fuel.

Basically what I'm saying is...Don't wait to incorporate exercise in to your life!! Don't make excuses to put it off!

snappy
06-24-2005, 02:28 PM
One more thing...it's better to graze all day on greens, veggies, and fruits, than to limit your snacking all together. That will keep things "moving" through your system.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/heartbar/cartoonfish01/lb/200/145/195/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Ahealthierme
06-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I prefer eggs, but egg whites only... eech! What a waste of a good yolk! I like oatmeal but I understand the instant microwave type I prefer gets my blood sugar going for the day.

It's me again- anyways I eat the Eggbeaters (my fav flavor is Southwestern- spicy, and yummmy) eggs I think it's 50 cals per serving, no fat or cholesterol IMO tastes and looks just like real eggs...sometimes I also sprinkle a little cheese or cut up my own veggies and turn it into an omlet. I've also read suggestions of two egg whites and one regular to make really fantastic eggs.

As far as oatmeal I eat the Instant kind, I just make sure I get one that says "LOW SUGAR" or flavored with Splenda or Aspartame...I know Quaker Oats sells a variety of the low sugar kind.

These are just suggestions though, you'll find what works for you and what doesnt!

BIGGIRL27
06-24-2005, 02:41 PM
LHB... www.gidiet.com I got the book published here in the UK. I imiagine they are all the same. I'm sure there are plenty other GI websites out there. When you read the book (it's an easy, quick read I did it in one sitting), make sure you don't get scared off by the strict tone. I did, at first, but now that I follow it mostly (i.e. I do eat some of the red light foods, but follow the advice on the green and yellow almost to a T) it's worked wonders for me. It's taught me a lot about nutrition (didn't grow up in a nutritionally aware household) and it definitely taught me that I could eat this way for life at a NORMAL weight. Also, there are menus, recipes, and a whole section devoted to maintaining. Charts, etc. I hope you enjoy what you read!

WastedThermos
06-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I agree with ahealthierme ...Eggbeaters, especially the Southweastern kind, are really tasty and easy to make. While I sometimes eat cereal in the morning because its easy or because thats just what I want, having eggs with some fruit or veggies helps me get through the morning with more energy.

almostheaven
06-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Kathy, I agree with others in that it doesn't look like you're eating enough and too many of the wrong things. Replace all those food substitutes in your snacks, like the Skinny Cow and popcorn, for natural foods, like fruits and veggies. Skinny Cow and popcorn should be special foods for when you feel a need to just splurge a little. Fruits and veggies should be the everyday choice. Try snacks like string cheese, low fat cottage cheese, ham, peanut butter, carrots, cucumbers, fruit of any kind, etc.

I also agree with others that you're probably not exercising enough and should find ways to add it daily and stick with it.

As for the oatmeal, you can microwave regular oatmeal. I use Quaker whole grain instead of the regular oatmeal. Tastes the same. Just add water and pop it in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. It's the kind that comes in the cardboard canister...not instant. But the cooking directions give both boiling and microwaving. I toss some raisins in mine instead of sweetener, for the natural sugar, or you can use a bit of honey. Then I add a drop of skim milk to flavor it.

MrsJim
06-24-2005, 03:21 PM
About the egg whites and 'wasting' the yolks - I used to buy the Egg Beater type products myself, until I figured out that the egg subsitutes cost a LOT more than the 'real thing'. Eggs are one of those products that are ALWAYS on sale (here anyway). I typically pay around $1.00-1.20 a dozen for eggs. Now I like the yolk too - that's why I include one WHOLE egg in my morning omelette. One whole egg, four whites usually does it for me.

About the "Smart Start" - like others have said (and I think I pretty much said it myself) it's NOT a good idea (IMO) to start your day with a big hit of sugar (or as Oprah calls it "the white stuff"). And about those instant oatmeal products - I gotta tell you that they are very processed - a lot of the fiber is stripped away and there is 'stuff' like sugar and salt, added. I'd recommend the old-fashioned oats that come in the round box - I have them every morning - I measure out a 1/2 cup of oats into my big bowl, add some frozen blueberries and Splenda to taste, pour some water in, stick it in the microwave and nuke it for 3 minutes (I put it in just before I get in the shower - by the time I'm ready to eat it's cooled down and the consistency I like). Not to mention that the regular oats are WAY cheaper than the instant crap.

Speaking of crap - Skinny cows and meal replacement bars and "Smart Start" and etc - that's ALL crap. It doesn't matter what marketing 'spin' the manufacturers put on it - crap is crap is crap. Unfortunately most people just tend to look at the name of the product: "Skinny Cow" - which equates to "if I eat this, I'll get skinny!" "Smart Start" - "it says 'smart' and there isn't a cartoon character on the box, so it's good for me!" (I think of Smart Start and their ilk as kids cereal marketed to adults.) Flip the package over and really read the nutrition facts label - check those ingredients, the calories, the SERVING SIZE (that's where they get you so often - by making the portions for that 'only XXX calorie' product so miniscule'), sugar and fat grams, etc.

I wouldn't go as far to say that 'your're not eating enough' though - I would say 'you're not eating enough of the RIGHT THINGS' and eating too much of the wrong things. You will probably say that 'I just have ONE Skinny cow a day' or 'those SBD bars are supposed to be healthy' but the thing is...it doesn't take very many calories to eat more than you burn. And the basic way to lose weight is simple: Reduce intake, increase output or as Suzanne 3FC would say: Eat Less, Move More.

Something I also noticed (but forgot to mention last night!) is that you are eating a helluva lot of calories at NIGHT - your menu from the 14th (which I posted on my last response) shows that you had your dinner, then ate another 300-400 calories afterwards. One habit that absolutely KILLS weight loss - that you want to get rid of right off the bat - is eating at night. I do happen to be one of those people who believe that you should have at least a 2 hour 'lag time' between your last meal and your scheduled bedtime (that doesn't mean you eat something at 9:30 pm and decide to stay up until 11:30 pm to make the lag time though!). I like how Oprah does it - per Bob Greene:

My question to you is, how do you not eat past 7:30 p.m.? I have no will power.
— Rebecca, Park City, Illinois

"Oprah on several shows has said no eating past 7:30 p.m.," Bob Greene says. "That's what worked for her and it really has. But that's her bedtime [10 p.m.]. So it's two to three hours before bedtime and a lot of people struggle with this. Start at two hours, and then go to two and a half hours. This is about managing your day. If you say 7:30 p.m. without question and you happen on that day to stay up until midnight, you're going to have a problem, and you're going to eat near your bedtime.

Night noshing will KILL your efforts. Trust me - I've been there. :(

You didn't say if you'd ever been tested for insulin resistance, but that could be part of your problem. If you ARE insulin resistant, you will likely have real problems as far as eating stuff like white bread, Smart Start, and Skinny Cows are concerned. I would suggest going to your doctor and asking to be tested (not sure on the particulars of the test but we do have a PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70) Forum here - the gals there could answer any questions you might have.

The "GI Diet" has been recommended - I'd like to recommend a recent book by Pamela Peeke, Body for Life for Women. Educating yourself on health, exercise, and proper nutrition is paramount if you want to lose the weight safely and permanently, and BFL for Women is an excellent place to start. And as others have said, I absolutely do NOT think you should put off the exercise until you lose weight - exercise is part and parcel of the whole deal. Even the US Government, in their 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, included exercise as part of the recommendations! IMO I think that while LOSING weight, nutrition (including proper food intake, portion control, etc) is around 75%-80% of the weight loss equation - but if you want to keep the weight OFF, and keep it off PERMANENTLY, regular DAILY exercise is absolutely, positively a key factor! (not to mention that including exercise while losing weight will help you LOOK better - you'll lose in the places you WANT to lose - and you'll FEEL better when you get those endorphins going).

You might want to go down to the Maintainers Forum and see what the folks there are doing to keep off their lost weight. The "diet" is never over, you guys - you just make it a PART OF LIFE. And the Maintainers make exercise a PRIORITY in their daily routines as well.

Bottom line on prioritization - again from Oprah (March 2005 O Magazine):

I've been trying most of my life to lose weight, but when I do, I can't keep it off. Now I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror. I work full-time and go to school, so it's hard to get to the gym. Could you tell me what has helped you, besides hiring a personal trainer, which I can't afford?
— Maribel Jiminez, 27, Texas

You say you can't bear to look at yourself in the mirror. I can relate. I felt that way every day I was more than 200 pounds. But I also know that you do not need a personal trainer or a gym to get fit. You need a decision. A decision on your part to take action, which means educating yourself about what to eat and making a commitment to start moving—a half mile, then a mile, two miles, one step at a time. My point is this: If you can't find time to work out, then you don't want to lose the weight. It's simply a matter of physics. So ask yourself what you're willing to do. And if you aren't prepared to exercise and cut down on your volume of food as a way of life, stop wasting time feeling bad about your weight and move on to something else.

aphil
06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Great points MrsJim! :)

I agree that you are eating enough calories in general for your current weight, but it is more of WHAT you are eating that needs changing.

I think it is totally fine to occasionally have a Skinny Cow, or a 100 calorie mini bag of popcorn for a treat now and then, or even a bowl of cereal every once in a while.

I think the problem is that you are having all three in the same day, and only having a bite of the chicken breast. It should be the other way around. Nix two out of the three "snacky" foods and only have one-and use the 200+ calories instead on the real food like a real serving of the chicken breast instead.

If you do want to stick with the cold cereal over the oatmeal, then choose a brand with less calories per serving. (Actually, for a cereal that is marketed as a diet cereal, Smart Start has about double the calories of Special K.) So, if you want to save calories go for the Special K, but it would be an even healthier step to go for something more lasting.

As far as the snacking at night-I agree it can be a killer if you don't watch it. I do often have a snack at night, but it is absolutely portion controlled. (I often have to eat a pretty early dinner, and have a 2 hour evening dance rehearsal, go for an evening powerwalk/jogging interval, or help teach a dance class-so I need to refuel a bit when I return home.) Depending on my calorie intake for the day so far, it is usually between 45 calories (1c. of berries for instance) to 200 calories at the most. On the higher days I adjust the rest of the days eating for that.

FerretNose
06-24-2005, 05:02 PM
It really sounds like you're not eating enough, and what you do eat isn't quality enough to keep you going. Don't worry, i did the same thing for like 4 months before I finally figured out what was right for myself. It's like an outfit. Anyone can wear it but to make it fit right you have to cut a little here and add a little there. It's just important you do realize that you are in the middle of a *process* of learning your body.

It definitely helps having all these smart people around who know what they are doing. If I go off my "perfect" plan for one day, it's like I've stepped into no man's land, and have to spend like 2 days re-learning. I've been at this for about 1.5 years and can't stay in a groove for more than a month at a time, it seems.

LHB1977
06-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks so much fo rthe link, BIGGIRL27! I'll read up on it!

MrsJim
06-24-2005, 06:25 PM
It really sounds like you're not eating enough, and what you do eat isn't quality enough to keep you going. Don't worry, i did the same thing for like 4 months before I finally figured out what was right for myself. It's like an outfit. Anyone can wear it but to make it fit right you have to cut a little here and add a little there. It's just important you do realize that you are in the middle of a *process* of learning your body.

I had to step in again (after my novel in my last post) because I keep seeing this "you're not eating enough". "you're starving yourself". Not just in this thread, but in a lot of other threads.

First off, let's talk about those 'calculators' you find all over the 'Net that supposedly use your bodyweight and height and age to figure out how many calories you should take in per day. IMO they work...up to a certain extent (maybe up to 140-150 pounds). But the calculators are just using an equation that was programmed into the site - they use the same calculation whether the data is for a 98 lb person or a 198 lb person or a 298 lb person - in which case they'll tell you you can eat over 2000 calories a day and lose weight or over 2500 to maintain weight. IMO that is total bunk and it's no wonder that so many obese people who use those calculators as a guide for eating end up frustrated - because they aren't losing weight.

IMO and from my own personal experience - if you are 100+ pounds overweight, and not exercising or exercising very sporadically, and eating 1700 calories a day, you are NOT starving yourself. One of the things about being obese (and again, I HAVE BEEN THERE) is that your body has become very, very adept in squirreling away those extra calories "for future use". I'm not a personal trainer, but I would expect that if you were to see a personal trainer, he or she would likely start you on what I would consider a fairly moderate exercise program (brisk walking on the treadmill, some weights and stretching) and put you on a nutrition plan with a max of 1,500 calories a day. MAX.

As far as the "gaining lean muscle mass when you exercise". That is probably true - but the thing is from what I've gleaned in your posts, you're not really exercising enough to make any real measurable difference in muscle mass...a mile and a half on an exercise bike isn't much in the way of exercise (I'm not trying to be mean here, and I *know* that ANY exercise is better than NONE at all...but ya gotta KEEP going. One of the keys to weight loss is persistence you have to find the right thing to do and keep on DOING it!). From experience and also from my reading (I might have to ask Meg or Mel to chime in here) it takes a long time and a lot of work to gain even a pound of muscle (granted, people who are new to weight training will show initial muscle gains that are greater than average) bicycling is primarily a cardio activity and not really a weight-bearing activity per se, especially if you're using a stationary bike. Again the key is consistency and persistence, if you really, really want to get the pounds off and KEEP them off.

And lastly - regarding the 'healthy' crap food - personally I DON'T keep that stuff around the house. Remember Dr. Phil's Weight Loss Challenge in 2004? Whether you like the man or hate him, he had some great practical advice - one of the best pieces of advise was about controlling your environment. What that means is you get all the crap food OUT of the house - kind of like giving up booze or ciggies. You wouldn't keep a pack of smokes in the house if you were trying to quit the cancer stick habit would you - because you KNOW what would inevitably happen. It's the same with crap food. (and again, I've BEEN there - back in the mid-1990's when I got caught up in the "Snackwells Phenomenon" along with everyone else - as long as something was fat-free or ultra-low-fat, then I could eat whatever I wanted with impunity - so I was buying and eating those "healthy" Fat-Free Fig Newtons, that "healthy" fat free cereal and other 'healthy treats' like fat-free Red Whips licorice and meantime wondering why I was gaining weight!)

Personally, if I have a package of, say, Skinny Cows in the freezer, they become EATEN Skinny Cows in a very very short period of time. Same with stuff like Wonder Bread, crackers, microwave popcorn, peanut butter, etc. It doesn't mean I DON'T eat that stuff on occasion (very occasionally) it just means I don't keep it around the house. Sure, there are times when I want an ice-cream-like treat - so what I'll do is go to the frozen yogurt shop across town and get a SINGLE serving of my favorite flavor which I make sure I enjoy.

What I would suggest you do is be HONEST with yourself (not saying you're NOT being honest though). Start measuring your portions and tracking your food/caloric intake (fitday.com is a great free site to use) and your exercise - what kind of exercise you do, the intensity, how long you exercised.

But to say that you're not eating enough...I don't think so. I definitely think you're eating too much of the WRONG things and not enough of the right things, and you're taking in more calories than you're burning off.

I'd also recommend being tested for insulin resistance as well. Even if you're not insulin resistant, it's almost always a great idea to cut way way way back on the sugar, IMO ;)

Meg
06-25-2005, 08:54 AM
My own personal weight loss experiences back up everything you're saying, MrsJ. ;)

I started at 257 pounds and never ate more than 1600 calories per day. I coupled that with weights 3 times a week (eventually 5 times a week) and daily cardio. Within the first month, I had worked my way up to an hour on the elliptical every day and did that for the whole year I was losing weight (I probably only skipped cardio 5 or 6 times in that whole year). And it was pretty intense cardio - the machine said that I was burning over 800 calories per hour (not that I believe the machines but that's how I gauged my intensity). On most days, I did between 90 and 120 minutes of exercise per day.

As my weight dropped, I was forced to drop my calories in order to keep losing. You see, as you lose weight, you don't need as many daily calories because you have a smaller body to feed. So whenever I hit a plateau, I dropped my calories and started losing again. The last four months or so, I stayed at 1200 calories per day (and continued to lose at the rate of about 1.5 pounds per week).

Just like MrsJ said in an earlier post, the winning formula for me was/is really simple = EAT LESS and MOVE MORE. We all have to create a calorie deficit in order to lose fat. That's all it is, folks - there's no secret and no tricks.

I honestly think it's going to be pretty tough to create a calorie deficit at a fairly high calorie level with little or no exercise. Weight loss is going to be excruiatingly slow or nonexistent unless you take in at lot fewer calories than you use in a day. So once again successful weight loss boils down to a combination of eating less and moving more.

I know there's talk on the boards about starvation mode and how that can stall weight loss. I personally never ran into a problem with starvation mode, even when I spent months at 1200 calories per day (and occasionally lower). From what I've read, it's really not a factor to be concerned about unless you go way below that 1200 calorie threshold for an extended period of time.

As I read the posts here at 3FC, it seems like people are too eager to jump on the 'need to eat more' bandwagon when they're not losing. It's an enticing thought, for sure - 'oh wow, I can eat more AND lose weight!' Kind of like having your cake and eating it too. :lol: But, unfortunately, that's usually not the way it works. Our bodies are all different in how they react, of course, but my humble opinon is that usually people need to eat LESS and do MORE exercise when they're not losing weight. Honestly, we all tend to underestimate how much we're eating and overestimate what we're doing for exercise. My advice when someone's weight loss stalls is to really be honest about what you're eating, cut back the calories a bit, and do a minimum of 60 minutes of intense exercise per day (weights and cardio).

To anyone who's stalled - why not give it a try? Just try cutting your calories and increase your exercise. :) I lost 122 pounds in a little less than a year -- despite being hypothyroid and 46 years old :p -- with the 'eat less, move more' formula - maybe it will work for you too?

Meg
06-25-2005, 09:28 AM
One more thought and then I promise I'll shut up :D ... MrsJ's right about the exercise and muscle building. Cardio exercise - like riding a bike, the elliptical, running etc - is fantastic for burning calories but isn't going to build muscles. In order to build muscle, you have to be lifting weights. :strong: So if you're doing cardio and gaining weight, it's NOT due to adding muscle - sorry!

Muscle weighs the same as fat, of course. A pound of muscle is a pound and a pound of fat is a pound. Adding muscle will only cause you to gain weight if you aren't losing fat at the same time - if you add a pound of muscle and don't lose any fat, your weight will go up exactly one pound. But it's surprisingly hard for us women to add even a few pounds of muscle and it certainly doesn't happen overnight or in just a few weeks. If you're not lifting weights hard and still seeing the scale go up, it's due to something other than additional pounds of muscle.

When you hear people saying that 'muscle is heavier than fat', they usually mean that muscle is smaller and denser than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up a lot less room in your body than a pound of fat. Check out this photo (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17582) of five pounds of fat versus five pounds of muscle for a vivid illustration.

We WANT to add muscle because muscle is what burns calories (you burn 50 calories per pound of lean body mass every day). Think of your muscles as the little furnaces that suck up the calories that you eat every day. And it's denser and firmer and looks so much nicer on our butts and thighs than FAT! :) Yay, muscle!!! :cheer:

aphil
06-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I agree!!!! I LOVE my muscles!!!!! :D

BIGGIRL27
06-25-2005, 05:27 PM
FYI, about 'eating more to lose weight'

I eat a lot more food now that I'm LOSING than I did when I was consistently gaining. There's a difference between numbers of calories and the amount of food. I eat fewer calories now, but a heck of a lot more food. I just wanted to chime in and clear up that when I said our friend here is 'not eating enough' that's what I meant. One cookie can take up a lot of calories, but it just doesn't fill the void like a cup of spinach for example. :)

kykaree
06-25-2005, 06:59 PM
That's a good point Tammara, when I eat my previous eating regime (which I shudder to think about) the calorie count must have been (gulp) 2500 - 4000 calories a day, but the volumes of food were quite small. No breakfast, a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps at midmorning, soemthing suitably unhealthy for lunch, more snacks in the afternoon, and far too much rich food for dinner. If you laid out my weekly food intake on a big table I think the food I eat now would fill the whole table, but the food then would fill about 3/4 of the table, looking purely from a volume, not calorie point of view.

Now I eat a lot more fruit and veggies and healthy carbs, and my actual volume of food is a lot higher, although the calorie count is a lot lower. So many people, at least that I know here in this country, when they "diet" eat commercial "low fat" convenience foods which are often high in sugar, and whilst they may be "calorie controlled" the portions are so small, people wonder why they are hungry all the time, and end up breaking their "diet". I try to keep my food as unprocessed as possible, so I know what I am eating.

Meg
06-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Biggie - that's an excellent point and what you said makes a lot of sense. :) I completely agree that even though it all comes down to calories, the quality of the food in those calories makes a huge difference to our health and eating satisfaction.

You're so right that you can eat much more REAL food for the calories -- fruits and veggies give us so much more 'bang for the buck', as it were. Right now, I'm sitting here eating a popcorn bowl full of salad with low-fat dressing - all for about 75 calories. It takes forever to eat and totally fills me up. For the same 75 calories, I could have ... four McDonalds french fries ... one bite of a Krispy Kreme donut ... or two tablespoons of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

:chin:

Meg
06-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Kykaree! :wave: We posted pretty much the same thing at the same time. :lol:

kykaree
06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
LOL!!!! I always say I had good teachers, there's proof!! ;)

almostheaven
06-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I think that's why on past diets, I was always starving. I'd eat a lot of salad to make up for having one "decent" meal. But if I had made that meal into lean meats and veggies, perhaps even a little starch, I'd have had just as much with fewer calories and been just as full and not had to eat salad the rest of the time.

dona
06-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Ladies.. I just gotta tell ya there is some awesome information in this post.. Thanks so much!!

KIMMIFIER
06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
I'll second Dona's reply. Great info! Thanks everyone.

I have a question though. I have followed a low-carb (no sugar), low saturated fat, high protein diet for almost 3 months now and think I'm doing pretty well. As I lose weight and up my exercise.(Now that I actually enjoy it!) I notice I am hungrier and am eating more calories. Esp. after a workout. I watch my calories and was eating 1200-1300 pretty consistently but now find myself around 1400-1600 more often than not. And always on the days I exercise more than I used to. I am still losing so I guess I don't have a problem. Just curious why it is I am hungrier and should I be listening to my body and feeding it when it is hungrier or should I be sticking to my plan of 1200-1300. I really dont mean to sound stupid but ya'll have the experience and I'm just wondering what you do.
thanks, Kim

aphil
06-27-2005, 08:44 PM
1400-1600 is still in weight loss mode, and if you are experiencing actual hunger on the days you work out intensely, then you should listen to your body and eat at that level on those days, and 1200-1300 the other days and you should be just fine.

Ilene
06-27-2005, 09:10 PM
I agree with Aphil eat good healthy foods when you are hungry specially lean proteins and unprocessed carbs as soon as you can after a workout... Have you upped your weights during weight training lately, if you have, this may be why you are hungrier... EAT it's good for ya!

Meldiggety
07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
I agree with the fact that we aren't starving ourselves by eating 1500 calories per day. However, I do know that if you go from eating 3000 calories per day to 1200 calories per day, your metabolism will slow down significantly and it will take your body longer to lose weight. It is advised by nutritionists/dieticians to slowly drop your caloric intake and also to fluctuate your calories by 200 -300 calories every 3 days so that your metabolism stays at a high functioning rate. They also recommend you do not eat 500 calories below your caloric maintenance level. If you are in the high 100's (lbs) and above, your body can afford to eat more calories while still losing weight. This is implemented in WW - the more overweight you are, the more calories (points) you are allowed while still losing weight. As you lose weight, of course your body doesn't need as many calories to sustain itself.

There are many women who have posted that they were eating 1200 calories per day and were experiencing a plateau - they got advice to eat a few hundred more calories and then they later post that it took them out of their "slump" and they were able to lose again.

Everyone's body is different and burns calories at a different rate - each person should do what works for them.

IMHO
Melanie

LovesBassets
07-27-2005, 11:17 AM
I haven't actually read all the posts on this thread (I have to head to the gym soon :) ) so I may be repeating what other people have said -- sorry! I agree with what BigGirl 27 said about protein. It is absolutely KEY. Plus, it keeps your body more satisified than fat or simple carbs -- and therefore, you're less hungry throughout the day. Also, exercise is VERY important. It really is the only way to lose the fat. And after awhile of doing it regularly, you'll find that your body actually starts to crave it. Maybe instead of one of your evening snacks, you could get out and take a 10 minute walk or something.

I don't actually count calories (I can't be bothered :)), but I pay very close attention to getting as much protein and as few carbs and fats as possible. And when I do crave fats, I have something that is high in protein as well. Almond butter on whole wheat toast is a good option.

I'm also VERY anti-scale. I only weigh myself once a month. That way I ALWAYS see results -- sometimes quite significant results. I know it's tough, but try to avoid the scale. As many people have said all across the 3FC forum, your weight can fluctuate during the day due to many factors. Also, I gain weight after exercising. My personal trainer told me this was normal -- example: I weighed myself Saturday AFTER cardio and I was 155 lbs. I weighed myself BEFORE cardio on Monday and I weighed 152 lbs.

From many of the posts I've seen throughout this forum, the scale seems destructive to morale for many people. I'm into "weighing myself" based on inches, how my clothing fits, and how I FEEL! Your body LOVES to be fed right...and you'll really start to feel better when you treat it the way it wants/needs to be treated.

Don't give up! You can do it! :cb:

diamondgeog
07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Meg and MrsJim,

Thanks so much, great, fantastic posts in this thread. I have been getting back to good lifestyle habits for about 3 weeks now and I feel great. I am very excited about making changes and what I am doing. I completely agree with the burn more than you take in as being the bedrock of weight loss. Of course the ways of doing that well is what this board is about.

I was a tennis player and basketball player my entire life. I will be joining a fall tennis league for sure and I am excited that a house me and my wife are having built is within a half mile of a big regional park with tennis courts. Just within 3 weeks I have so much more energy which is a great motivation to keep going.

I get my 'gazelle' tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. I know it is only useful if it gets used and I am sure it will. The most amazing thing is that in about 3 weeks my cravings for all the fast food I use to eat are almost non-exsistent. I haven't had a burger in 3 weeks and just 2 trips for a grilled chicken sandwhich which I am going to cut out eventually.

My next step is going to be taking my food to work on a more conistent basis. I have been going subway these past few weeks (one of their low-fat choices, full veggies, no cheese, mustard only, baked chips, ice tea) but for money and for even better nutrition I want to take food.

I guess the word for me is excitement. It is exciting to take charge and to start to feel better. For me the feeling better is even more exciting than changes in the scale. I know those will happen, but having more energy and just feeling all around better is such an incredible reward for doing things better it is going to keep me going. Who knows maybe I will revise my long-term goal to 200 at some point. But for now 10lb goals for me along the way.

srmb60
08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm just posting here to bring this thread back to the top. It has some fabulous advice in it.

curlylocks
09-04-2005, 09:16 AM
i would recommend the south beach diet, in phase 1 it really rids your body of the sugar and carb cravings.. and and u also really get a lot of foods to choose from... so u never have that hungry feeling..

its more of a life change.. not a diet..and after a few months it just comes naturally.. you dont even want pasta, or bread.. it just doesnt appeal to you anymore.. just my suggestion..

most of us ended up heavy becuz we have always ate the wrong foods and we need to make changes forever...

i see it in myself.. i would always tell the dr " but i dont over eat!!" which i didnt BUT.. I ate all the wrong things.. hardly no protein... and all carbs and sugars..

amazing that now i am probably eating more food then before.. but no bread since march and no pasta.. and i eat only low gylcemic foods

oh and ya gotta get out there and move.. I do the ladies workout express (curves clone... more stations) 6 days a week then come home and walk 2 miles everyday..

ladynredd
09-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm going to be REAL brave here and post what I ate the other day. This is a fairly typical day for me. I will add that I'm on Weight Watchers and losing at a good rate for me.
Breakfast @ 8:00:
1 C. yogurt (Dannon Lite & Fit)
1/4 C. Grape Nuts
7 big fresh strawberries, sliced
Snack @ 11:00:
1 mini bag microwave popcorn
1 C. sugar-free, fat free pudding (made with 1% milk)
Lunch @ 2:00:
5 oz. lemon pepper tuna (so flavorful, no dressing necessary!)
1 big handful fresh spinach
1 big handful steamed green beans (left over from night before)
Snack @ 5:00:
1 C. 1% milk
1 package graham crisp snacks
Dinner @ 8:00
1 thin-cut pork chop
2 little new red potatoes and
1 big zucchini, grilled in oven, brushed w/ olive oil

I resisted WW for a long time because I didn't want to "do all that weighing and measuring." What's working for me is just measuring those foods that past experience has taught me can be problem areas: cereals, grains, pastas. I know I had 1 C. pudding because the recipe calls for 2 cups milk and I make it into two servings instead of four. That way I count it as one of my milks *and* I have enough points allowance to do this. Since it's summer, I'm trying to eat more FRESH vegetables instead of canned or frozen. My primary focus the last couple of weeks, since I started visiting this board again, has been getting in my water every day and increasing my exercise.

I'd like to really thank those of you who are regular, long-term posters to this board. You share an incredible amount of experience, strength and hope with others travelling the same road and I, for one, really appreciate it.