Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 11:15 PM   #1  
Soon to be Lifetimer

Unhappy

I started WW the week before Thanksgiving. I lost 15 lbs. by New Years. Now I am still playing with the same 4 lbs. I do EVERYTHING right. Journal, water, exercise my butt off and can't seem to budge. I haven't even lost inches lately.
Does anyone know whether Birth Conrol pills would do that to you? Do they just keep the weight on and inches too.
Anyone else have this problem and what did you do for it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Old 06-03-2001, 09:01 AM   #2  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

My experience with birth control pills have been horrible. The first time I started on the pill, I gained 30 pounds within the first six months. I ended up pregnant anyway, so I went off of it. 6 years later, I went on the Pill again, and gained another 30 pounds. So, YES I think the pill can definatly cause you to gain weight, and not lose inches. I hope my experience doesnt become yours. Good luck to you

Angie
Old 06-04-2001, 08:57 AM   #3  

I don't know what kind of birth control pills you are using, but for me, they have never been a problem. When I first made lifetime (November 1989) I was on the pill and lost 75 lbs in 13 months.

The reason I am back at trying to get to lifetime is my own fault and I really can't blame my birth control pills!! Mine are low dose, so maybe that is why.

This program really works if you work with it. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Why don't you try "mixing" things up a little. Like maybe change what you are eating for breakfast or try to eat more fruits and veggies and less carbs. If you have always eaten at the low or middle range, try eating at the high range for a few days. Keep up with the water..oh...and I was told that we should drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day, then for every 25 lbs you are above your goal another glass! Try it!!

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 06-04-2001, 01:26 PM   #4  

Interesting question, but I don't think your pills are your culprit. When I went on the pill several years ago, my doctor told me I might gain a pound or two. Above that, it was what was going in my mouth other than the pill. Well I gained steadily after that, but the weight increase certainly hadn't just started with the prescription! And since I joined weight watchers, I've lost 109 lbs - all the while on the pill. Some medications can cause substantial weight gain, but it's my understanding that the pill isn't one of them. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2001, 09:32 PM   #5  
Soon to be Lifetimer

I saw my Ob/gyn today, he prescriped the new low dose pill, Alesse 28. Does anyone know about these??? I have been on Orotho Tri-cyclen and don't have much of a problem, just hate taking hormones, period. I will see if the low dose helps. My leader did think it may be the pill because of all the synthetic hormones in them.
I will let you know and thanks so much for the help.
Old 06-04-2001, 10:21 PM   #6  

It could be birth control pills depending on the type. The first ones I took I gained alot of weight. The second time I took them was about 10 years later and was put on a low dose and didn't have any problems.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:52 PM   #7  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I went on the pill for the first time at age 35 - gained 12 lbs in less than 2 months (ALL WATER WEIGHT).... I even had to cut the bands of my knee high stockings and buy larger shoes. I was absolutely miserable ... but I had to stay on them until I had a benign tumor removed because the hormones stopped it from growing. So after the surgery - I immediately got off the pill and dropped 12 lbs in ONE WEEK! - Again - all water.... my shoes flopped off my feet and no longer need to cut the knee highs. Neither of my sisters has ever had this problem though so I think it's just something that happens to a few women. It was horrible and I will never use them again.
Kim
Old 06-07-2001, 07:48 AM   #8  

Hi, Jilly's Mom!!! I also take Alesse 28 and have for a few years. I am almost 45 and I take them mainly because I have a horrible history of osteoporosis in my family and also for the obvious birth control thing. I have not had the difficulties I had with the older higher dose pills.

I have always been prone to overeating more at that time of the month, with or without the Pill, so I don't think I can blame that. At my age, I think it is more a case of slowing metabolism and "hand to mouth" disease.

Elaine
Closed Thread