Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2005, 06:50 PM   #1  

Question The scales are stuck!

ok... been two weeks since the scales moved.. haven't been doing anything different.. just flatlined.. How do you get past a plateau?? Gotta be some ideas out there!!
Hugs! dona
dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #2  
I believe in Futures

I would like to hear suggestions as well! I'm the QUEEN of plateau's and it has caused a lot of yo-yo dieting in the past. But I'm through gaining and losing the same 30 lbs! I feel like I've tried everything to get off my plateau, but nothing has worked.
purplebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #3  

The only cure to plateaus is patience. They are a fact of dieting life. Unfortunately, for most of us weightloss is not linear. But the plateaus are a good time to re-evaluate whether you have gotten lax in your eating or drinking water or exercising. And then, usually within a few weeks the scale will unexpectedly move again. I hadn't lost anything since the middle of May, and then yesterday I was down 2 pounds.

I hope that you have taken your measurements -- because plateaus are often a time when your body is getting used to the changes. Many will advocate staying off the scale. For me, however, I need to see what it's doing (even though I might lose and gain the same pound or two for weeks on end).

Keep eating right and eventually the scales will cooperate!
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 PM   #4  

I have made it through a few plateaus on this journey. Each time I hit a flat spot I looked for new ways to help boost my metabolism. The fact the you said nothing has changed is probably the reason for the plateau. Your body is too smart and it adjusts to what you are doing. If you aren't already weight/strength training that is a great way to give your body a boost. Just 20 minutes two times a week can start to make a difference right away. I also make sure I get at least 20 grams of fiber a day, but usually more. The extra fiber helps increase your metabolism because the fiber takes longer to digest and makes your body work harder. Also, green tea is known for helping increase your metabolism among other great health benefits. You can also search the internet for plateau buster type diets. They are usually a two week plan to jump start your system. Good luck!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #5  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

hi dona. i am right there with you too. i have stalled for almost 2 weeks too. even gained a pound despite adding more exercise to my routine. i upped my water intake too and nothing budges that scale. frustrating, i know. just keep remembering how far youve come and how great youve done. you did it for you and sabotaging your eating or exercise habits now would not be for you. it would only make you feel even worse afterward.

i wanted to say thanks for your reply on my post as well, about my neighbors and the nasty comments. i am feeling better, went out and went shopping for a bit and believe it or not went for another walk just didnt go by their house. im not gona let someone else ruin all the work ive done and you and i both are not gona let a little scale (that can be thrown out the window if need be) get the better of us!

hang in there, there are lots of us hanging with you!!!
hugs!
kim

END OF SUMMER CHALLENGE

KIMMIFIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I plateaued for several months. I was comfortable enough where I was that I wasn't in any rush to make the scale move again for those last few pounds. Eventually, after I'd just maintained for several months and felt like putting forth extra effort again, I played with reducing my calories and increasing my exercise again and the scale began moving downward again. Unfortunately, it moved down 3 pounds before I discovered I was pregnant the whole time I was knocking off that 3 pounds. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #7  

I actually stepped on the scales (shame on me.. not supposed to be weighing again till next Wed..) but I'm down 2 pounds!! YEAH!!! 1st 20 so I'm about a fourth of the way to my goal!! I'm SO happy!

Mellissa.. The green tea and fiber are both great ideas and I know I'm not getting enough fiber right now.. I know someone who is drinking decaf green tea before everymeal and she swears it's helping her. If nothing else it's another way to get more liquids.. I'm having a tough time drinking enough water and trying to cut my coffee down so that would be a great alternative!

Nancy.. the measurements are important and I wish I would have taken them when I first started.. I took them two weeks ago.. I was SHOCKED that I let my butt get that big!! lol! Took them yesterday as I was so frustrated that the only thing I've lost was an inch off my bust! I'm gonna be pretty lopsided if the bottom don't start going down too!! I always have lost though from the top to the bottom.. Face first than bust than waist.. etc. Thank you so much for your insight!
Almost Heaven.. Congratulations!! When are you due?? do you know what your having?
My daughter has a new baby boy due in August!! Can't wait!
PB.. Don't give up! You are SOOO close to your goal!! How exciting!
Hope everyone has an awesome day and thank you so much!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dona
Almost Heaven.. Congratulations!! When are you due?? do you know what your having?
My daughter has a new baby boy due in August!! Can't wait!
I'm due September 23 and he's a he. My daughter wishes she was having a new baby boy due and not me. She'll be 21 about 2 1/2 weeks after her brother comes along.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #9  

Well.... she can borrow her baby brother and give you a break when she feels like mothering! If nothing else.. you have the mothering thing down with 21 years of practice! My oldest is 23 and I can't imagine starting over again.. Good for you!! and you really don't have much longer!! I hope he is Perfect!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dona
My oldest is 23 and I can't imagine starting over again..
Then whatever you do, stay completely away from green tea. LOL! We've kinda got this idea over in the Pregnant and Nursing forum that green tea helps ya get preggers. Me and another gal there both got pregnant shortly after starting taking it.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #11  

That's too funny.. I had my tubes tied 15 years ago after my youngest was born so I think I would have to drink an awful lot of it!! Maybe that's my oldest daughters problem though.. all she drinks is tea.. this will give her a 6 year old, 2 year old, 1 year old and an infant!

I think drinking green tea just helped you lose so you were so irrisistable that it was just bound to happen!! lol!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

ROFL! If you only KNEW. We were actually taking care of his bedridden mom at the time and she had a bladder infection which had her going to the bathroom every hour...meaning she had to be TAKEN to the bathroom every hour. His dad had some elder rage issues and went into a rage at him one night. In order to avoid his dad having a heart attack, we voluntarily stayed in a motel for a couple of nights. Lo and behold, 2 nights in a motel was all it took. Irresistable wasn't a factor. I think we were just having withdrawal. LOL!

But alas, I signed the consent form for a tubal yesterday. So no more for me. Ahhhhhh