100 lb. Club - Dreams on hold?

View Full Version : Dreams on hold?

Jenaya
06-19-2005, 02:15 PM
I am wondering if there are others that are putting things off because they are waiting for a certain "number" before attempting a new activity? I have a dream of kayaking but I have never done it because I fear that I am too big. Has anyone else with 100 plus pounds to lose ever gone kayaking and how did you find the experience?

What are the things you would like to do but have put off because of weight? Are they things that you could do now? Maybe I can kayak without drowning or, worse yet, going under (yikes). I just need to find a kayak and a deserted island (okay, not totally deserted - one search and rescue person may be needed).

YP1
06-19-2005, 02:23 PM
My big one is scuba diving. My father and my sister are both instructors, running a scuba diving school in Spain. I could dive for free any time I want to. But I never have. I tell myself it's because I don't like breathing under water (I've tried it in the pool). But I know deep down that the reason I don't want to do it because I don't want the humiliation of having to squeeze myself into the biggest wetsuit they have and still bursting the seams. OK, I might not be quite that fat, but that's the image I get in my head.

Anyway, I'm now at the weight where I just might do it. I was talking myself into doing it when I go out there later this month, but my sister can't dive at the moment so I might wait until I'm out there in November when I should hopefully be able to fit into a lovely skinny wetsuit.

kykaree
06-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I have always wanted to kayak or canoe, and now live in a place with a river where people do such things, so once my waist and hips are a little smaller, I might give it a go.

I would love to scuba, but I have asthma and it isn't safe for asthmatics, so that's one dream that I won't be able to pursue, I don't think :(

I also want to do a trek, maybe the great Wall of China, one of my long term dreams, and I would really like to do that in the not too distant future.

lessofsarahtolove
06-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Gone are the days when I put any dreams on hold. :no: I've come to realize that's just completely wasteful. I own my today, and none of my tomorrows -- and I deserve to experience the physical pleasures of today just as much as a heavy person as I would at a smaller size. It's your soul that matters -- not the perception of others -- I say feed it! It takes a leap, but it's so worth it!!

Getting off my :soap: now!

jennie934
06-19-2005, 03:30 PM
I have put things on hold but more like, a trip to the beach. Ussually, I just do it, and don't care even if I am the biggest one there.
I have kayacked and can say, my hips are huge and they fit fine in the kayak. I'm not an expert but, I think most of the kayaks today at least where I am you don't really have to squeeze in that little hole and sit in it its more like you sit on it so don't worry about your size. You won't sink either just try it and have fun.

cecilyisworking
06-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Jenaya, I've been staring at your post for a while now, trying to settle on something along the lines of kayaking, scuba diving, or the beach to share. The only thing I can think of, though, is love.

To be honest, I donít have examples in my life of heavy people in healthy relationships. The statistical expanding of Americaís waistline seems to have missed most of my corner of the country. My world is full of thin friends and family who have paired off, but the very few of us that are fat are still alone. I have friends who have said encouragingly (as something to look forward to), ďWhen you lose the weight, youíll find someone!Ē My mother was really thin when my parents married, and from the moment she gained weight, my father has been cruel to her about it. He hasnít said mean things to me about my weight since I was in high school, but I constantly worry about what he thinks of me, knowing what heís said to her over the past 20 or so years. I fear that the world is full of men who think like him. I have let fear run my life, even though I know better. It's like I'm hoping that the thinner me will be braver than I am.

You all on this site have been such an eye-opener for me. To see so many of you with supportive spouses and partners regardless of your size has shown me a side of life I havenít seen in my own circles. So thank you for that!

Iíve heard people say that you canít expect someone else to love you if you donít love yourself first. Iím sure thatís true, and truth be told, I struggle with doing just that, but Iím working on it.

Gone are the days when I put any dreams on hold. I've come to realize that's just completely wasteful. It's your soul that matters -- not the perception of others -- I say feed it! It takes a leap, but it's so worth it!!
I know with all my heart that you're right, Sarah! Thank you for sharing what youíve learned. Weíd all be wise indeed to take it to heart and put it into practice.

Jenaya, good topic. It's really made me think...

dakotamidnight
06-19-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm waiting to go Rock clumbing on the local artifical rock wall. Gonna have to wait a while, because I'm too heavy at the moment to pass their requirements.

lessofsarahtolove
06-19-2005, 06:08 PM
I know with all my heart that you're right, Sarah! Thank you for sharing what youíve learned. Weíd all be wise indeed to take it to heart and put it into practice.
Hello, Cecily. :) Unfortunately, it took a cancer diagnosis to teach me this lesson! :eek: It's been a long six months, and it felt at times like so many aspects of my dignity and sense of self were stripped away from me, laying bare just the spirit beneath. In addition to a host of other dignity-related hurtles I had no choice but to jump, I was forced also to "give up" some "fat self"-protective behaviors and mindsets and say about going out bald with my freshly returned double chin and no eyelashes, or going sleeveless with fat arms, or snorkeling and swimming with strangers when I'm fat and have lost all my hard-earned muscle tone -- or any number of other things I'd have been a heck of a lot more comfortable doing at a lighter weight, "What's gonna happen? I'm gonna get cancer?" :lol: I mean seriously!! What's going to happen if you do now the thing that you think you're too fat to do? Why wait for tomorrow? You just truly have no idea what tomorrow is going to bring. :dunno:

That said, I do have some fitness-related goals/plans for doing things that I'm physically incapable of doing now. But those are goals for a differently abled body -- not dreams on hold.

Putting dreams on hold is just not something that I want to do in my life. And if that realization were the single positive outcome of having a life-threatening illness, then I'd consider it worth it. (Of course, I know that I learned much more than that as a result of having this experience, so truly I know that I'm a very lucky girl. :yes: )

Schatzi
06-19-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi ladies, I am barely 5 foot tall, and I weighed 215 pounds when I hiked 10 miles down the Bright Angel Trail with 10 pounds on my back in 110 degrees to White Water Raft the Colorado through the Grand Canyon for 10 days. I made sure I was somewhat physically fit ..but the point is that it was my dream since I could remember to do it and I wasnt going to "weight" until I was X pounds to do it.

I have a Dagger Kyack and a canoe to boot. I do WW kyacking all summer - and do overnight canoe/camp trips. It is what I love to do -Do what you love, do it today - embrace your life! We've all heard the snarky ignorant remarks of others..yeah it hurts, but if you are not living your life because of how others will judge you or make a Fat joke, you may have to work on your self esteem . Nobody walks in your shoes...and in the end, all we have is ourselves and the life we choose to live.

SO PADDLES UP! :cp:

Lifeguard
06-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow - dreams on hold - where do I start.....

I dread seeing family or old friends who haven't seen me in awhile. I would love to be a volunteer fire fighter, a white water raft guide, an adventure racer & a fitness competitor - but know all that can be nothing but a dream until I'm thinner &, more importantly, in better shape.

On the other hand I have been kayaking (only river - the white water ones were too small for my hips), white water rafting, biking, hiking, swimming & scuba diving.

taekwondomom
06-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I haven't really put off dreams, just activities I'd really like to try. Like riding a rollercoaster, never been on one, even when I was under 200 lbs. I was afraid I was too fat!
Also, I'd like to participate in a bike race; possibley Tour de Cure (Diabetics Fun Raising Race-numerous members of my family were/are diabetic so this really hits home for me)
I also want to participate in a Tae Kwon Do tournament. Next one is in October or November of this year in Minnesota. I'd like to do pattern and maybe even try sparring. Have to be in pretty good shape for sparring though!

Goddess Jessica
06-19-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm with Sarah on this one.

I really do try to do everything that I want to do. You just gotta take a deep breath and go for it. I know the fears and the anxiety that comes with the "fattest girl who has ever done this" mentality. But A) I doubt you really are and B) if you are, who cares? No one at the end of their life says, "I am so glad that I never did that!"

Carpe Diem, chicas. You got one life. You got one chance to do what makes you happy. Do it.

Jenaya
06-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Dear Sara - As always, your words are full of wisdom and wonder. It is partially due to you and your sharing of your struggles, partially due to circumstances with family and friends in my life and partially due to seeing how precious life is that I am being brave and going to do what my heart desires. It is hard for me - I will be the first to tell you that I am very conscious of what others think and how I appear. I was ridiculed for years by my Mother. She thought she was helping me but she, in all her slim glory, was very hard on me for my weight and consequently, I am hard on myself. I wouldn't say I have a low esteem. I am very successful in my personal life (great hubby and family) and have experienced great success in my professional life. I just get ansy when I need to bare my body and put myself in awkward positions that are more graceful for those of healthy weights. I guess I am better with my brain than my body. I guess I had to be to be a large woman. Kind of a forced issue - you can't only be good, you have to be the best in order to move past the physical crap with people. However, I am turning a new leaf and grabbing a chapter out of the book of life written by people who know better (as in you, Sara). Some great folks over at the Exercise forum have also given me a few ideas.

It is really inspiring for me to see what others dreams are. Neat to see the variety of things people would love to do, some of the reasons maybe why they haven't done them and a bit of a challenge to actually think about doing them. Freeing for the soul, really. It is almost a challenge for all of us to seize the moment. Because, as we know, the moment is truly all that we do have.

YP1
06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
By the way, it's interesting to see how many dreams are based on activity/sport. It seems that no-one dreams "one day I'd like to eat a whole chocolate cake on my own" (or if they do they've not put it on hold ;)) So it seems that we're all heading in the right direction!

Rtael
06-20-2005, 03:02 AM
I've put off even trying to start dating...until atleast 190....I wouldn't even feel comfortable with myself until then, in that kind of situation.

Jen
06-20-2005, 05:49 AM
well this isn't in the light of white water rafting but the dream that I put off for a long time was growing my hair out. I cut my hair short back in high school and it's never been really long since because I think my face looks twice as fat when I have a whole bunch of hair around it. I dream of having Angelina Jolie style hair. So I decided that I would grow it out regardless of how I thought I looked because I'm planning that by the time it is really long I'll be skinny and it won't matter!

jillybean720
06-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I would love to be able to seize the moment and not put anything on hold--to live for today and not have any worries regarding my weight. HOWEVER, as much as I would love to go to Six Flags and ride the coasters, I will not physically fit. I can't do it until I've lost weight. Also, a few weeks ago, Jeff and I went to visit his mother in Middle of Nowhere, VA, and we took a day trip to a mountain where they had horseback riding. I SO would have loved to go--my neighbors had horses growing up, so we would sometime ride them. HOWEVER, there was a sign that none of the riders could be over 250 pounds, so, again, I couldn't do what I wanted. I can't wait to be able to ride roller coasters and go horseback riding again--two things I have enjoyed doing in the past that I just physically cannot do at this weight :(

synger
06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Iíve heard people say that you canít expect someone else to love you if you donít love yourself first.

I'd agree with that. And what's more, the more confident you are, the more attractive you seem to be. When I was in my 20s, and pushing 280 pounds, it was amazing to me. During the times I was "up" and positive and confident in my work and my life and not obsessing over my weight, I had men swarming around me. I had a lot of boyfriends and lovers and such. During the times I was depressed and self-absorbed and worried about what I looked like, my own self-loathing seemed to broadcast loud and clear, and men would not be as attentive or interested.

I am blessed to have found Hunter, who doesn't give a fig for my weight, as long as I am healthy, and is very supportive of my ups and downs. Right now we're going through a bad spat as my self-image is rather on the low side and the whole "How can he want to make love with me" doubt is really loud in my ears. But we've been together 14 years now, and he knows of my ups and downs.

My advice on that front is to cultivate friends of both genders. Go out and do stuff with them and have fun. If something "blossoms" with one of your guy friends, it'll be a really nice surprise. But don't work at "finding the right One". Get out there and have fun, and eventually you'll make the connection you want.

Goddess Jessica
06-20-2005, 11:57 AM
My best advice about dating and love was when I was dating my Cute Boyfriend and it was getting to the point that there was going to be nakedness very soon in our relationship. ;) I was very nervous and anxious and a friend of mine said, "What exactly do you think those clothes hide? Do you think that he thinks you're Kate Moss under there?"

I laughed my butt off and realized how foolish I was being. He knew I was fat and he worships the ground I walked on anyway. He was in love with me because I was a sexy-*** woman in any size.

tolose85
06-20-2005, 12:40 PM
You know, I met my husband while overweight, I lost alot of weight during our marriage, I've gaind most of it back with my pregnancy and you know what? He still loves me...I think now more than ever. You know what? Even if I was a thin, tiny model-esque type I STILL would have picked my husband and vise versa. I think you are born destined for someone.. regardless of size or shape. I wouldn't want anything different. My belief is that no matter what size shape or color you are, you inner attitude and beauty shines through. I know that's what I wanted to use to find my SOUL mate. Yes, of course I care about how I look and I do feel down about my weight at times but we all do, we're human. I guess what I am trying to get at is that feeling beautiful and being able to attract a partner or even fulfilling any other dream you may have all comes from what's inside you. You should never feel you are not good enough for a "person" or a "thing". Feel good enough for YOU!

lessofsarahtolove
06-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Jessica, you rock, girl. Rrrarrrrrrhhh.....you go knowing you're a sexy-*** woman! He's a very fortunate man. ;)

ajwings2001
06-20-2005, 01:51 PM
My slogan for dating was always: "They will like me for me, not because I am a trophy girlfriend." Meaning.. I know I am cute but was never really considered sexy (I look like I'm 14 lol) If the guy I am with can get passed my size, then I know he is really interested.

My first year of College, when I was 19, I met a guy I dated for 3 years. When I met him I was 160lbs... when we broke up I was 220. During those 3 years my mother died, I had knee surgery (hockey injury) and mono. But with my mono I ate and slept like crazy.. most people lose weight. He cheated on me with a girl that looked exactly like I did when we first met.

I joined a chat group online for BBW (big beautiful women) and they would have parties and meet up at bars and hang out.. well one night I went up there and was shooting pool with a friend of mine. There was this gorgeous man sitting at the table right next to the pool table. He was what I would call an "out of my league" guy. He was exactly what I wanted. Bald, goatee, thick, brawny, rugged man. To make a long story short we started dancing together and he gave me his number. That was Sept 8th 2001. On March 15 2003 we got married and have been happily married ever since. I scored my dream guy and at 275lbs.

Anything is possible.. you just have to make the attempt and let guys know you are interested.

Break out of your shell and find your dream man!!

Amanda

ajwings2001
06-20-2005, 01:56 PM
OOOps.. I guess I forgot to mention the dream I have on hold.. (duh)

I dream that one day (after I am thin) I bump into my A$$hole exboyfriend and get to say "how do you like me now" Not that I can't do that now.. but it would be for different reasons.

I'm twisted, I know.

Amanda

frenchiepolarbear
06-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Synger, I think you hit bulls eyeÖself confidence is the keyword here.

For a long time I put obesity as the main cause for my loneliness. Something changed when I saw one of my old buddies from university marry is girlfriend, have kids and live a fulfilling lifeÖThe guy is even bigger than me when I was at my worst in terms of obesity.Ö..so I started thinking. Is there something else beyond obesity thatís keeping me from having long term relationships (Iíve had a few relationships in my life, but none of them lasted) ?

I believe that obesity, in many cases, is not a cause, but a result. It is the result for lack of self-confidence and maybe not accepting ourselves for who we are. It is no coincidence that when obese persons start to loose a lot of weight, they feel more confident about themselves and have more success in their love life.

As for friendships, i also belive that they are essential; and that maybe someday, one of them who always accepted you for who you are will end up to be your loved one.

bonnieangel
06-20-2005, 02:23 PM
Dreams on holdÖhmmmÖunfortunately, Iíve done that more times than I can count. Itís hard, but itís a habit Iím trying to change. My biggest dream is to have a baby. People have told me so many horror stories about getting pregnant at my size. Thatís one reason why Iím trying so hard to lose the weight this time. Iíll be 32 in September, and that biological clock is ticking like a time bomb!

I guess my other big dream is to go to Scotland. Itís been my dream as long as I can remember. I have this image in my head of being too big to fit in the plane seat!

Last (do you get the impression Iíve put a LOT on hold?), I would love to take belly dancing lessons, with a live instructor not off of video tapes. My husband keeps telling me to go for it and not wait, but I canít imagine that my big oleí belly rolling around could possible be attractive. After reading this thread though, Iím thinking seriously about doing it anyway!

Sarah Ė you are such an inspiration! We should all have that same ďcarpe diemĒ attitude, and not wait for a life threatening illness to give it to us!

Cecily Ė I know itís hard to imagine, because believe me Iíve been in that same position, but remember there ARE men out there who love and appreciate a woman, even if they arenít rail thin. I was very much willing to throw in the towel until I met my husband. I know they seem impossible to find, but sweetie they are out there. And the ones you find who canít appreciate the beautiful person that is youÖall of you, not just the outside packageÖarenít worth having no matter what size you are.

Rtael Ė same reasoning applies to youÖgo for it anyway! A jerk is still going to be a jerk whether you are skinny or thin. You still have to weed out the good from the not so good.

Great thread!...it really makes you think, and we all need to do that.

Hugs!

MíChelle

Amanda Panda
06-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I've recently faced up to quite a few size related fears and 'did them anyway' - I was terrified of going swimming, but plucked up the courage to go last year , first by just attending 'women only' sessions, but now I go whenever I damn well please! I've joined a trendy mixed sex gym - on my first week I was convinced I was the only fat person there, but it didn't stop me doing what I wanted to do and now I realise there are people of all ages, shapes and sizes there. My latest 'feel the fear and do it anyway' thing was to attend a spinning class - the night before I was terrified - what if I can't keep up? what if I physically can't get myself onto the bike? what if I am the fattest one there?. Well you know what? I couldn't keep up and I was the only fat person there AND we worked out in front of a big mirror so I could see all my fat bits wobbling, but it didn't matter, I had a great time and worked harder than I'd ever worked before , and experienced one of the biggest highs of my life! Now you can't keep me away and last Friday was the first time that I managed to keep up with 100% of the class which felt amazing! Since then a couple of other fat women have joined the class - I like to think maybe they saw me huffing and puffing among the skinny women and I encouraged them to give it a go!

I am still a very fearful person in lots of ways - and I know my achievements are just stuff that most people do every day, but to me they were like climbing Everest and my confidence has soared! I think if you can find small things in your life that you have always felt fearful or too self conscious to do - and JUST DO THEM then you will only gain in confidence to try more and more things!

Love Amanda x

barbygirl43
06-20-2005, 02:42 PM
I can honestly say that I've never put in dreams on hold because of my weight--no money for them, yes but never for my weight.

There've been times when I may have felt a little foolish doing it (bungee jumping for one) but I did it because it's something I wanted to do. I didn't care at the time that I looked like a big ole tick on a string.

tolose85
06-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Big ole tick on a string.............. LMAO :rofl: :crazy:

dakotamidnight
06-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Amanda, You've inspired me!

I'm going to go to my College gym, jocks and skinny girls be da*ned. I was about to pay for a fitness membership elsewhere just to not workout in front of them.

tchrnow
06-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I feel like my whole life is somehow on hold. Not that I'm not "doing stuff"....I'm married (22ys to a thin man), I have 2 kids, I'm working at a job/career I love, however, I feel as though I'm outside looking in a lot. I feel as though I haven't arrived anywhere yet..... I feel stuck in the fat zone....I don't go out, I don't feel connected to friends, I stay away from pictures, I don't shop unless I have too. I know it's crazy to wait "until" because "until" may never happen, but I'm wondering how to get out of this rut....to feel different inside about me, regardless of the outside. I guess I feel I don't deserve things until I'm like everyone else around me...a normal weight. Even as I write these feelings I know they are foolish.....how do you get past the mental challenges as well as the physical ones surrounding losing weight.... ????

taekwondomom
06-20-2005, 06:12 PM
well this isn't in the light of white water rafting but the dream that I put off for a long time was growing my hair out.

I have the opposite plan, I plan to cut my really long hair! Currently my hair is down to my bottom. For my next reward I'm going to have it cut to a bit below shoulder length and donate the rest to Locks of Love.

Good luck growing out your hair, long hair is fun and it isn't as much work as people think. At least IMHO. :D

MoveMoveMove
06-20-2005, 07:21 PM
There are so many things I put off doing because of my weight. I have definitely changed my mind about one thing though.

At the beginning of this year, I had AAA send me brochures on Hawaii and the Caribbean. Every since high school, my best friend and I have said that we were going someplace tropical for a vacation. Well, itís been more than 20 years and we havenít made it yet :shrug: .

Since Iíll be turning the big 4-0 next year, I decided I am going with or without her. Then I realized that since I had stopped exercising and had never started a healthy eating plan, I wouldnít be at a ďgoodĒ weight to go by the time my birthday arrived. That meant I probably couldnít go until I was 41. I told a lady I work with about this and she looked at me like I was crazy. Now that Iíve thought about it and thought about it, Iíve changed my mind again.

If God agrees, on my 40th birthday I will be on a Jamaican beach enjoying the sun, sand, and water. If I do something else Iíve always wanted to do, I will have learned how to swim before I leave for the trip.

About two weeks ago, I was thinking about my Mother (not a pleasant thing for me) and realized that, when she was my age, she didnít know her life would end in 11 years. Sometimes I wonder if I will die young like she did or live a long life like her mother. Now I know that it doesnít matter how long I live, Iíve got to start doing the things I want to do. Regardless of how much longer I have here on earth, the years wonít be good if Iím just existing instead of living.

So look out Jamaica here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cecilyisworking
06-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Is there anything better than laughter through tears? You all are the best! Some of you made me teary (in a good way) and others cracked me up (Kate Moss and a tick on a string?! :rofl: )

Thanks for caring enough to comment on my post. What great words of wisdom. If I find someone, I find them, but I know I need to stop doing so many things to hide myself away (as my best friend says, "What? Do you think they deliver and he's just going to show up on your porch?"). And in the meantime, I have a such lovely life otherwise that is better than anyone could ask for.

Thanks again. I feel so lucky to have found this site.

Jenaya
06-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Okay, I have done it. With the great support of you guys and the people on the Exercise forum, I have been brave enough to book the Kayak. I am going on August 18, 2005 at 10:00 am. Now, how is that for being firm about a goal? I am so excited I am giddy!! So, I have a month and a bit to get my upper body strengthened up and get my *** slimmed down.....My friend has a lakefront home and a beautiful dock so I am going to ask to borrow some of her dock space. The DH is also coming along (I've booked him a kayak) and the kids are going to the childminders for the day. OMG- it is actually going to happen. Watch, it will rain or something ...Anyway, this site and you folks have inspired me to reach one of my little dreams - Thank you!!!!!

The kayak queen,

Lifeguard
06-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Good for you!!!!! :cheer:

cecilyisworking
06-21-2005, 12:41 AM
That's awesome!!! I'm so proud of you!! Can't wait to hear all about it! :cb:

barbygirl43
06-21-2005, 12:47 PM
WTG Jenaya. You'll have so much fun

Amanda Panda
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Good for you Jenaya - you won't regret taking this step!

Dakota - You join that gym girl! It won't be as bad as you imagine - like I said, for the first week I was convinced I was the ONLY fat person there - then about a week later I saw a fat girl coming out of the pool and I was so pleased to see her - I wanted to hug her! Now, although there are lots of muscle men and skinny girls there are quite a lot of big people too - and at the end of the day I just go there and do my thing - I'm not there to win a beauty contest (thank goodness!). Good luck - just remember you have just as much right to use the facilities as any skinny person!

Tchrnow - You said it, it is a rut that you have to force yourself to climb out of - it's not easy, but you just have to take on small challenges. Most of my life I have been crippled by fear, and I still find alot of 'normal' situations very challenging - but I am getting better with each new thing I try. My fears have always been - 'what if I look stupid?, what if I can't do it?, what if I am the only fat person there?' etc etc - but I soon realised that in terms of exercise, the only way that I wouldn't be the only fat person there was to bite the bullet and exercise. After my first swim I was hooked - there has been no stopping me! If your fear is people looking at you - I can honestly say that people are too busy getting on with their own business to be staring at us. In my first spinning class I saw myself in the mirror and thought 'I look such a state, I'm so red and sweaty' - then I looked at the slim girl next to me and she looked exactly the same! It's not easy, but you have to force yourself to do it the first time - it is an act of will, when everything inside you is screaming ' I can't do it!' - DO IT ANYWAY and you won't regret it! Good luck!

Love Amanda x

Sea
06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
This week DH got me a new bicycle. I'd wanted to bike again as I did when I was young. I couldn't find a simple one speed. He got me a 15 speed. I'm not waiting. I'm riding again! It is a bit scary, more than I'd expected, but I intend to get comfortable with it, again. A year ago I couldn't have done it, physically. I'm going after all my dreams, big or little.

Amanda Panda
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Good for you Sea - that's what it's all about!

Love Amanda x

alphabetsoup
06-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I really TRY to get past not doing things because of my weight - but I do always hear that voice in my head. I'm aware of the fact that I'm often the biggest one at the party - or the biggest person in the store, etc. It's hard to change that midset but I do try to just go for it and just do it no matter what. As I get older (:cry: I'm old! :lol: ) I find that I'm more able to do things even though I'm still self-conscious.

Cecilly ~ Let me add to the chorus. I was 220 when I met my husband and 235 when we married. I was 250 when I got pregnant with my first child and 270 when I got pregnant with the second. (Sad how we always connect our weights with life events - isn't it?) I have an AWESOME marriage with a loving and supportive husband - he's seen the ups and downs of my struggle with my weight in the 6 1/2 years we've been married and he loves me no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT! He loves me now just as much (maybe more since love grows in time) as he did when I lost weight and was under 200 pounds! There are great men left out there - get out there and do what you want and make friends and you will find your love that you deserve! :grouphug:

Bonnie ~ As I said above, I was overweight when I was pregnant with both of my children. I did have a ton of complications - BUT I would have had them no matter what my weight! I know people who have been pregnant and overweight and had NO problems at all. The end result for me is that I now have two healthy and beautiful (if I do say so myself! :) ) children. Don't wait - seize the moment - a child is such a gift - you'll be FINE and your babies will be fine! :hug:

Sarah ~ You are so eloquent - I've gotten the chance to read several things that you've written and you are so good at putting an inspirational message into words.

(Kate Moss and tick on a string! :lol:)

Great thread!

suunflowrr
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
The dream I've put on hold is riding a horse. I decided that would be my reward for losing 70 lbs as I would be under 200. I'll be there soon. I guess I could do it now that I'm under 250 (thanks to whomever posted that about the rider being under 250) but I'm just so scared I would hurt that poor horse and then it would be blamed on my being fat. I just don't think I could take that at this point. We have it all planned. My husband knows a man with horses and as soon as I say the word, we're going! My poor husband doesn't even know how much I weigh or how much I have to lose altogether. He's been an awesome cheering section though. I wish everyone luck on living out your dream!

dakotamidnight
06-29-2005, 01:20 PM
okay.....does anyone here know the general weight requirement for artifical rock wall climbing? I soo want to do it now....but can't remember the requirement and don't want to sound silly and call {plus it's long distance}.

jillybean720
06-29-2005, 01:43 PM
I would think it depends on the facility and their equipment. Different places probably have different harnesses and cords for safety--different sizes and materials and such could make them all have different capacities. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

lessofsarahtolove
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks, alphabetsoup! You made my day! :)

frenchiepolarbear
06-29-2005, 01:55 PM
I believe the requirements for wall / rock climbing are less based on the equipment than the person who will ensure safety. The person who holds the cable while you climb and restrain your fall if you ever loose grip has to be heavy enough to keep both feet on the floor.

dakotamidnight
06-29-2005, 03:17 PM
ah I see, thanks for the answers.

Well...I'm going to try to rockclimb this fall {every fall the ROTC group brings a portable rock wall}. Hopefully they will let me....and hopefully I should be low enough weight by then.