Weight Loss Support - I rule BECAUSE...
06-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Over in this thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59424&page=2&pp=15), the question came up: "How do you just wake up one day and like yourself? How do you believe in yourself?".
It's a big, honkin, multi-layered question, and my best answer is that I don't always, but I'm working on it. The question reminded me of a discussion I had with a friend nearly a year ago where I was asking this exact thing. At the time, they made me stop in my tracks and start listing stuff that I love about myself, telling me it was one way I could outrun the negative with the positive. I was all "uhm...huh? I can't do that, I feel like too much of a dork". But I was instructed to give it a shot anyway, and you know what? It still works when I let it. Those times when I'm doubting myself, it really helps to become totally egocentric for five minutes and feel amazing on the inside. It truly does radiate and make a huge difference.
So with all that said, tell us what you love about yourself. I'm hoping people will be able to peek into this thread and smile. Maybe it'll even help to make them feel a little empowered.
06-17-2005, 02:26 PM
So in the spirit of starting this thread and realizing I actually have to answer it...:) here goes:
- My hair is crazy thick and curly, and right now it's this burgundy red that looks amazing when it catches the light just so.
- People always comment on how unique my eyes are, because they are so very dark that from certain angles they almost look black. And I have wicked long eyelashes. I like that.
- I have this weird, encyclopedic (I made that word up, I think) mind when it comes to music and lyrics. I walk around with an awful lot of really cool useless knowledge.
- I'm a good person, I'm fiercely loyal, and I have a huge capacity for love and support.
- I'm funny. At least I think I'm funny. I crack my very own self up all the time! :lol:
06-17-2005, 02:55 PM
I am a noted hummer, humming show-tunes at my desk throughout the day.
I never cut off Yankee fans on the road, even though I want to.
I always use my blinkers.
I have a positive nature. I smile a lot and use good manners. I am loyal to my family and friends. I am a Big Sister.
I have great blue eyes, blond hair that is blonder when the whim hits me and I'm tall.
These are good things!
06-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Wow you sound awesome!!
I've been having a lot of good days lately with one or two pretty awful days scattered in there as well. When I have bad days I have a tendency to run to people who love me so that I can try to see reasons why I should love me too. It doesn`t always work and it is tricky relying on other people.
I need to start reminding myself of reasons I don't suck. I should love myself anyway!
Good things about Me:
- I am kind, and I try to be patient even with people who aren't so kind with me. Along with this is honesty. I try to think of the least painful way to be honest with the people around me.
- Actually I think I'm pretty hot despite everything or everyone who suggests otherwise. I have good hair, a pretty face & a strong body.
- I take risks in a positive way. I'm motivated, curious and I'm not afraid of making myself look dumb.
- I love dancing & laughing and I'm really good at both.
06-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Okay....love the thread. Awesome idea, girlie! :)
And I PROMISE I will provide my own answer to it.....I'm just having a hard time seeing the good today. :^:
06-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Right... I'm still thinking... :lol:
1. I am a PATIENT and POLITE motorbike rider/car driver, which is very important for EVERYONE'S insurance! :rofl:
2. I have weird hair (which is nice sometimes!)
3. I can do all sorts of things very well when I put my mind to it!
4. I laugh a lot
5. I bake mean cakes and cookies and things... not necessarily great everyday ;)
Awesome idea for a thread!
Positive things about me:
*I have wicked "pixie" eyebrows that make all the Goths out there jealous (they point up at the ends).
*I have gorgeous green eyes.
*I'm very good at keeping the secrets my friends and family members confide in me.
*I always go the speed limit in residential areas and school zones.
*I almost always notice when somebody has had a haircut.
*Before my DD was born I volunteered at a thriftstore that helped support the local homeless shelter, soup kitchen, and safe house.
gray eyed girl
06-17-2005, 11:55 PM
I rule because:
- I made two beautiful, smart, healthy, happy children and am doing a good job as their mother if I do say so myself ;).
- I value my marriage deeply and make sure my husband always knows how important he is to me, which makes me feel happy too.
- I have very pretty gray eyes (hence the username) with dark eyelashes. I get a lot of compliments on my eyes.
- I am an active, informed, and involved citizen, and I speak out and do what I can to try to make the world a better place.
- I am a good friend and am there for my friends any time in any way I can help them.
06-18-2005, 01:52 AM
* I am Polyanna, I can see a good side to everything, and I face the day with a smile on my face and a good word for everyone.
* I have a wacky sense of humour and I make people laugh, a lot.
* I have a very caring nature, and people often comment on the way I make them feel better by the things I do and say.
* I don't drive, so I take care of the environment by walking everywhere and catching public transport.
* I have never let being fat stop me from doing anything, but now I am losing it, I feel able to do a lot more.
* I have swum every week since February, proving to myself that I can stick at something if I put my mind to it!!
06-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey, I like this thread! Let me just gather my thoughts together for a moment...
OK, here goes.
I am an extrordinarily considerate and selfless partner, and have been unflinching in my love and support for my partner through his 10+ years of severe health problems.
I'm a hard worker, and strive always to be a good employee and kind, supportive boss.
I'm short and small boned, and I carry my excess weight pretty well as it's spread evenly across my whole frame, so when I finally shift my remaining 80-or-so excess pounds I'll be petite (yowzer!) and well-proportioned.
I have a good (filthy!) sense of humour, and can usually be relied upon to see the funny side of every situation. Plus I'm almost always in a good mood -it takes a lot to put me in a bad one. (The last two days have been an exception (but I blame TOM and hayfever!) - hey, its a woman's prerogative to be unpredictable!)
Kind regards, Janey :D
06-18-2005, 10:22 AM
LOVE THIS THREAD! Love reading everyones replies too. We all need to re-affirm our worth every day and though I certainly don't do that, I am going to make a point to keep these things in my mind all weekend long.
I rule because:
I have stuck with my new way of eating for 2+ months now and lost 47lbs! I have done it without starving myself, with exercise and lots of water, and without support until just recently when I found you guys and gals!
I am a wonderful mom to my 6 year old. I spend quality time with her every day and everyone notices what a happy and smart child she is.
I am pretty despite the fact that I still have over 100lbs to lose. I can't wait to turn some heads once the fat is gone!
I tan really well and have a killer tan already. Like someone on the board said yesterday, tan fat looks better than white fat.
I am an awesome baker. Love to bake for friends and family. Oatmeal raisin cookies and pumpkin cheesecake are my specialties.
I will leave it that and leave room for someone else! Have a great weekend all and remember why you rule!!!
06-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Oooh, what a great thread...We all need positive self affirmations..Like that Al Franken character on SNL, something "Smalley" .. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and darn it people like me" LOL
I Rule because:
I can keep any secret
I am very intuitive- and can read people quicky and pretty acurately
I am very pretty
I am one of the funniest people I know
I can make anyone feel comfortable and make friends easily
I am adventurous
I am a loyal, loving friend who can always be counted on: I am a "Horton": "I mean what I say, I say what I mean, an Elephant Faithful 100 percent"!
I see the good in people - and will not tolerate Catty people.
06-18-2005, 11:54 AM
I love my hair. Its straight for the most part, and I can usually get it to do what I want, and rarely have a bad hair day.
I have 'perfect' eyebrows :) I've never had to pluck them or shape them in my life, and they look good :)
I love my skin tone. I don't HAVE to get a tan in the summer, I have one year round :) and I never sunburn.
I am a very caring person, and will do anything for the person I love.
I have a nice smile.
I have great lips. They are full and I never have to wear lipstick, thanks to the great natural color they have.
I love laughing, and love making people laugh.
06-21-2005, 02:01 PM
It's too bad this thread has become less active . . . Not that I should complain, since I haven't posted on it!
I saw this thread and thought "Wow, that's a great idea!" but I could not for the life of me come up with a list of good things about myself. After a few days of thinking about it, and since I am feeling better today in general, I decided to give it a shot . . .
- I am a good cook, and I'm particularly good at taking regular recipes and making substitutions and changes to reduce the calories, fat, and sodium content without sacrificing taste.
- I am usually pretty good at giving people advice.
- My eyes are really interesting in color, and look different each time you look at them.
- I am adventurous, but not to the extent that it's risky.
- I am a VERY fast learner and can pick up almost anything very quickly.
- Uh, this is kind of the same as the previous one, but I am an excellent student and have always done very well in school.
Well, that's all I can come up with right now. I think it would be awesome if this thread was resurrected every few months, so we can see our progress in terms of accepting ourselves and being positive about ourselves.
06-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Wow this is a great thread:
Things that I rock at:
Singing - I am a praise and worship team singer in my church and I have been anointed and gifted with a beautiful voice or so I'm told.
I am a great Mommy - I do things with my kids that I can't even remember my mommmy doing with me that are absolutely great
I am a sunday school teacher to 7-8 yr olds and nursery teacher and I love doing crafts with the kids.
I have always been very athletic-- Too bad I've never been successful at eating healthy :lol:
I have great legs - Hubby LOVES Them
I am a good cook - Although I hate to cook because I hate to cleanup afterwards LOL.
I have a beautiful smile - I inherited eyes that sparkle from my grandma so when I smile my eyes look like they sparkle.
I have a very caring personality and I don't befriend people easily until I get to know them but once your a friend you've become a friend for life
I have a great sense of humor.......sometimes LOL
And I have great hair!! I am a black woman that wears her hair naturally and it ROCKS!!! I don't have baby fine hair either, I've got an afro that you can see a mile away ;)
Oh Yeah!! And I am a great motivator on any situation in life :D
06-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I am a very caring and supportive parent who is bringing up my child to think not only of himself but of others in the world.
I am a very supportive and loving wife
I am very proud to be pop free for over two years now and theres no looking back.
I am very proud to be 76 pounds free of my formal self and that I have stayed on track and im on my way to my goal.
Thanks for this thread I needed to say thiese things to myself this week, Its been a rough one already.