Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #1  

Default Flexer doing Core....I have a question...

Hello all! I have been doing WW for 12 weeks, this week I have decided to try Core. So, I am on day 2 of Core...and have had a major headache since yesterday afternoon. I feel like I am eating plenty (eating before I get to hungry...stopping before I get stuffed) Do you think this is just coincidence?....Or do you think it may have something to do with the food I am eating (or rather NOT eating) on Core?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #2  
Athlete in Training

Hi Sherry,

A bunch of things might be happening. Here are a few thoughts.

-- When you were on flex, did you eat a lot of bread / wheat products? Some people are sensitive to wheat in a way that's almost like an addiction and if you're one of them, you may be going through a type of withdrawal. Use your WPAs to get a slice or two of hearty wheat bread or a small wheaty bagel and if you feel better, you'll know this was the problem.

-- How about prepared foods with sugar substitutes? Are you eating more or less of those? Some people have sensitivities to these products and can react to suddenly having them or suddenly ceasing from having them.

-- Have you changed anything with regard to the quantity or type of caffeine you're drinking?

-- You said you're eating plenty. Is it possible that you're eating plenty of veggies and light fare and not getting much by way of calories? Too few calories in a day can give you a headache (and sleep problems).

-- Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration causes headaches.

-- Are you getting enough fat? The healthy oil on the core plan is important and it's easy to inadvertantly skip it. If you're not using oil in your recipes or frying with it, try making your own vinegar and oil salad dressing or marinades.

Hope that helps. I can't think of anything in the Core plan that should give you headaches. I hope you can figure out the cause because I think the Core is excellent and really works well.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #3  

When I did the first phase of South Beach, which cuts out most carbs, I had a headache and fatigue the first couple of days. So, yes, if you were eating a fair amount of simple carbs and sugar with your points, you could feel that way. Maybe try using some of your weekly points to add a treat or two back in? If you are eating fruit and dairy and good grains, though, it should pass. I feel better when I'm eating Core.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Ditto - when I was lowcarbing (Atkins) I had a really bad headache for the first two or three days due to sugar/carb withdrawal - you sure start appreciating what an addict might go thru!

Same thing happened after my vacation in Jamaica in march- where I indulged in more carbs and sugary alcoholic beverages - I had a heck of a time getting back to Core and suffered another couple of days of headaches as my body readjusted.

I'm sure it should pass soon - good luck!

Frouf
Old 06-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #5  

You guys ROCK!! Thanks for the ultra-quick responses!! I am drinking plenty of water, but am wondering about the whole sugar withdraw thing, and/or calories. I dunno.
I have been eating lots of fruit...I kinda thought the "natural sugars" would help.
I just feel like I want to do this program right, so I am almost afraid to eat anything not strictly on the Core list. While I was on Flex I tried to eat as good as possible, always getting in my fruits and veggies and milk. But, I do believe I ate more calories. Well, this is only day 2, so I am not giving up on Core yet!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Hey Sherry, if there's one thing we can do right -- it's give advice!! We live for it!

Good luck on Core. Look at Angela's stats (aghiowa) ... she lost 35-40 of her 50 pounds (or something like that) on Core. It CAN be done!!
Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #7  

Yep, I lost 12 on flex, and the rest on Core. It can be done, and I am managing to maintain on Core too. I love this program, because it's so liveable, even for the rest of my life.

Angela
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #8  

I have to agree with you, Angela. I think as members become closer to goal WW should really encourage them to do Core. Chances are you are not going to figure up points and write down everything you eat for the rest of your life, but Core is totally do-able. Atleast, I think...you know..for my second day!
Old 06-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Sherry, I have to agree with everything said here. Great posts, you guys! I always say that you need to give Core at least a month. I started feeling better after about 3-4 days. Sugar is a SERIOUS addiction. Don't be afraid to use your WPA's. Core is a delicate balancing act. You need to stop at satisfied but you have to be careful that you eat enough. I've found that I am most succesful when I get in all my dairies and my water. I drink at least 80 ounces of water a day in addition to other decaf beverages. I've been on Core since late September and have lost 41.2 pounds. I'm very happy with this since I'm 49 and have a horribly sluggish metabolism. I've got another 108.8 pounds to lose. If you're going to stay on Core stop by and visit with us on our Core Support Board thread. We're on number 20 right now. We also have a profile thread where you can read all about us. If you'll be staying, think about adding your profile to ours.

Good Luck!
Old 06-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #10  
Melissa

Sherry, I'm a little behind but ditto for me. When I was doing low-carb (south beach) I went through serious sugar withdrawal (headaches, fatigue) the first few days. You can always use your wpas to get some carbs/sugar in! Hope you join us!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:11 AM   #11  

I really appreciate everyones support and advice!
Closed Thread