South Beach Diet - Torrid Tuesday Beach Chat - June 14

Ruthxxx
06-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Wow! It's not even officially summer and we are in a heat wave. It's raining right now which is not cooling us off - just increasing the humidity. :(

I planted half the Fairgrounds yesterday but will leave the rest until I get a longer hose. I refuse to lug pails of water - too Third World!! :lol:

Today? I need to do a financial report, do some bills and phone calls, visit Harry and then have two meetings tonight - Mill Society and Cemetery Bored. The last is not a typo!

Stay cool - unless you need to stay warm like Sweet Tooth! Crazy weather!

Iced coffee, anyone?

Schatzi
06-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Good Morning Chicklets! Well I'm back from visiting my DF up past Scranton PA. I stayed OP and helped her to eat healthy and often. In just a week there was such a difference in her. I hope she keeps it up. I managed to get my walking in every day as well. Today I need to get in my walk before it gets toooo hot. Already here in Jersey it's a hot and humid 78 degrees - AUGH , I don't do well in humidity.
Today I write the ad to put our townhome up for sale. I hope that it sells quickly so that we can start the next chapter of our lives in North Carolina.

I missed visiting the boards every day .. Hope everyone is doing well!
Ruthie - Hope your Harry is getting better every day!

ellis
06-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Schatzi, you're a good friend... I hope she continues to do well.
Good luck selling your house! :lucky:

Ruth, I can't take this much longer. It's supposed to be cooler today, but it's already 86F with the humidex. :(
I'm so envious of Sweet Tooth. The thought of cozying up under a blanket in cold weather sounds wonderful. :lol:
Thanks to the heat, my stomach has been queasy for days. I had a lousy sleep last night, and I'm going back to bed... :wave:
Hugs for you and Harry... :grouphug:

anchor weight
06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Morning chicks!

We are expecting relief from the heat at some point today! Severe thunderstorms then the highs are expected to be in the high 70's. That is more like Michigan weather!

Last night I broke down at around 9pm and had some cheese and Wasa crackers. I'm just so nervous about the mamogram today. I'm not even sure why - cause as we all know - they don't tell you anything today. Some Doc has to read it and then then they tell you. :?:

I'm hoping to stay OP today. This weekend was so busy that I kind of forgot about it (mamogram) for awhile.

fl_mom
06-14-2005, 09:12 AM
It's so different to see so many warm places. It's only 78* so far here this morning, feels like 83* cause of the humidity. I think it's supposed be in the mid 90's this afternoon. I want to go grocery shopping (I'd love to try the taco bake!) but my air conditioning in the car stopped working yesterday and the kids can't handle the ride without it.

Mamacita
06-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Morning, Chicks~~

It's sweltering here, too. Supposed to hit 90* with a heat index of over 100*! :fr: :hot:

Scrounged all over the kitchen trying to find something to eat that I didn't have to warm up. Came up with some whole grain crackers, some lf cheese, hearts of palm and a lc protein bar. I'll wash it down with water. I've been tuna saladed to death lately. Ugh.

Okay, I'm running late, as usual, so I'm outta here.

HAGD everyone...stay cool!

Mamacita

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Morning ladies! Hot here too!!!!

I had the most wonderful thing this am -- BREAD!!!!! One of the pepperidge farm brands with some brummel and brown. DE-LISH!

Got my personal cooler from Target last night as well as some snacks and such.

Back down to 193 so I am happy I extended Phase 1 one more day :) I leave for my conference tomorrow so I will be out of commission for 2 days.

See you all on Friday!!! Wish me luck.

Ruthxxx
06-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Jen, what the heck is brummel?

beach bum
06-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi Chicks:)

I'm back, from visiting with my grandchildren. We had a wonderful time.The granddaughters were exceptional at their ballet recital.I'm glad I didn't miss that.

Stuck to the SB:beach: somewhat had too much beef :moo: as we're not meat eaters. Fish & poultry:chicken: is our game. Won't W-I until Wed of next week.Hoping for a good reading:goodscale:

Ruth-We having it Hot :hot: & humid :flame: on Cape Cod ,even tho the temps are low the the humidity is sky high. We going to to buy our tomato plants going to get the early girls. Hope they grow,but my dad use to say that tomatoes LOVE:love: the hot weather.

Anchor- Sending some good vibes:goodvibes: for your mamogram. Its has to be done,so you can prevent having trouble in the future

Mammacita-Eat Lite on the hot days of summer. Lots & Lots of SALADS :eating2:

Have a wonderful day,Have to go out and won't be on-line for most of the day. Hugs :) BB

beachgal
06-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Amen to the iced coffee, Ruth! We've had such heat here...it's been a chore trying to keep us, the dog, and the bunnies from heatstroke, especially as we don't have a/c. Lots of ice and fans! I can't believe you did all that planting in this heat! :faint: I went to the nursery and got plants, but they are waiting until it cools off (supposedly this week) to go in the ground. How's Harry doing, hon? I hope the lung has healed and the ribs are doing much better! :grouphug:

Schatzi, sounds like you have a lot going on! Good that you were able to get your DF (friend?) doing more healthy things...it's so great to share what you've learned with others. :goodvibes:

Ellis, get a good fan and settle in for a good nap, hon. :grouphug: I hear you...this weather is terrible. Wasn't it just last week that we were all complaining of how cold it was and how much we wanted spring to arrive? :?: I want to know who ordered summer early??? :lol:

Anchor, our thoughts and prayers will be with you today, girl. :grouphug: Stay away from the extra food...that just gives you one more thing to worry about! :nono:

Hey, FL mom...welcome! :wave: Wow...we never had a/c in the car when I was little. We had what my DH likes to call 2/65 air conditioning...2 windows down, drive 65 mph! :lol: Hope you can make it to the store somehow...

Mamacita, I find it's so easy to eat off a big bowl of 3 bean salad or broccoli, cheese, and bacon salad. You can just scoop some off into a small container and go to work! :D Stay cool, girl!

Jenn, sounds delicious! :T Enjoy your conference...sounds like you are well prepared. Can I tell you how much I envy you living near a Target! <drooling> Congrats on the loss! :cp:

Ruthie, Brummel and Brown is a butter-type spread made with yogurt. Yummy! I never thought to look at whether it's SBD safe...but I wouldn't be surprised.

Me:
I had some trouble zero-ing the scale this morning. I have a dial scale (only kind I could get that would weigh me in the beginning! :o ) and usually I just tap it with my foot and it lands right on zero. Today it wouldn't do it, so I used the dial to rezero it, then weighed twice. 208.5 and 207.5! Wow...I was a bit surprized. When I went to step on again, it wouldn't zero, so I messed with it again and then it kept weighing me at 210. Not sure which is correct, but can I tell you the thrill I got from seeing those low numbers??? :cb:

We had our party on Saturday...lots of work to clean up the house and cook, but fun in the end. I made coleslaw with splenda, a pasta salad with WW pasta, and 3 bean salad. DH grilled brats and hot dogs and burgers. I made the chocolate and PB cake, and put a Reese's SF PB cup on each slice. It was almost gone at the end of the night..1/4 of a slice was left! :D Tons of people who don't need to eat SF loved it and insisted that I was lying when I told them that it was almost SF! (1/4 cup of brown sugar is in it) You should definitely give it a try...it's to die for! :T

Sunday was a lazy day...church and grocery shopping, bought plants, and then hung around the house. Watched a movie with DH, etc. Yesterday I drove three hours there and three back to a meeting for a teacher career fair consortium I'm in. It was my last meeting with the group and so very sad. They are so much fun...I'll miss hanging out with them!

Got my grade report and I did fine in my last class in spite of the late assignments! <whew!> Not too much else going on. Better start getting some work done...have a great day, chickies and stay cool!!! (we need a smilie with a fan!) :beach:

Bamiegurl
06-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Morning chicks! Looks like it's hot in here this morning! It's 78* here heading to the 90's today! I'm off to the shower and het ready for work. Tomorrow i start goin in at 8. Oh I gotta jet I thought I turned the alarm off but I musta just hit snooze cause I hear it beepin.

Anchor...It will all be good! Take care today and don't undo all your hard work!

Have a great day all!

beachgal
06-14-2005, 10:11 AM
BB, we posted at the same time! So glad you had fun with the kiddos! Ballet recitals are so special. :love:

wenchybritches
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Ruth, Brummel and Brown is a kind of whipped butter you get here in the states.

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Ruth -- it's a "spread" made from yogurt -- it's margerine like but no trans fats and such. It's from the makers of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter."

PHinsUP!
06-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Hey Gals!
I feel like it's been forever since I posted here. I worked all weekend again, and yesterday, I merely lurked about the threads.
Yesterday, I didn't stay OP...I ate a bowl of ICE CREAM after lunch, and another one after supper. I was really surprised that my DH didn't even try to stop me! I didn't even head to the gym yesterday! Oh Well!! I just laid around like a slug. I'm sure that the heat has something to do with it. Today we're heading out to my Dad's house, he lives on the river..so we're gonna spend the day chilling off in the cool water.
Last nights supper was spaghetti..and I used the regular pasta that I had in my pantry. I didn't add any meat and the sauce was a garden veggie one with huge chunks of zucchini in it. Today it's back to the plan! It seems that I always start running out of the good foods just before payday!
I made a pizza on a whole wheat pita for lunch yesterday! It really does make a good crust! Next time tho, my toppings will be all veggies!
I love that when you slip off plan, you can just pick right back up where you left off, and if you need a boost, just go back to P1 for a bit.
Well, I am gonna get outa here and see if I can get some stuff done before we head out.

fl_mom
06-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Laurie - my scale used to do that also but a few days ago DH got me a digital and I LOVE IT! It's hard not to weigh myself everytime I see it though, it's like a new toy and since you can save your weight, it's addicting.

I can handle the heat and having the windows down but the air doesn't seem to circulate very well in my van. My 1.5 yo was sweating so bad yesterday that his shirt was soaked. With how high the temp is going today I don't want to risk him or my other (5yo) getting sick. I think my compressor is out of oil and I will have to take it somewhere to get it fixed, I don't think dh can do it himself.

Jenne- How much is a serving of Brummel & Brown? I have never had it but my g-ma says it's the only thing she will use. I am guessing 10/17 is your b-day? It's my dh's and 1.5yo's also :)

Does anyone know an alternative store to Trader Joes? I have shopped there other places we have lived but they don't have them in Florida.

wenchybritches
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
My heart truely does go out to all you chickadees that do not have A/C!!! :cry:
Growing up in Savannah, it was a requirement to have A/C. I just don't like it that is it is broken in the car. The summer weather is the same here in St.Louis that it was at home. It rained last nite, so the air is a little cooler today. Only getting up to 82.

Dont know how bad I was with supper last nite. We went to IHOP and I had 3 eggs, 1 patty of turkey sausage (did not care for it, had to much poultry seasoning), and 2 Nut and Grain pancakes. No butter, but Smuckers Sugar Free Syrup.

Anyone ever tried the Smuckers syrup? Its made with Nutrasweet.

angelshine90
06-14-2005, 10:36 AM
ITS SO HOT OUT! yes and i realize that all of you know this already..but AHHHHHH!
anyways.. not too much going on..at work like usual I have class tonight..GROSS....

So happy lisa is back yey!!!!!!

<3
chels

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Laurie- No A/C in my car. It sucks. It's going to be 100 by the time I get out of work (or around there) and my poor shirt will be soaked by the time I get home. I feel you girl! Scales are so finicky. I won't jump back on mine until after this weekend (TOM). Although I should since today I ate my first piece of bread...

Angela -- Yuppers! Oct. 17th! I've only met one other person in my life with the same b-day. Happy early b-day to them ;) Us Libras have to stick together! The serving size is 1 tablespoon I believe (I never use that much usually). I love the taste and no rigid aftertaste like margarine. It's smooth!

Wenchy -- never used that syrup. I use Mrs. Buttersworth. I like to complain to "a person" when I have to use SF syrup on my MOCK french toast... :lol:

mama.dragon
06-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Wild Child and I are back from a long weekend with my sister and friends. It was hot and humid and very busy. :dizzy:

Ruth: Iced coffee sounds great. How is Harry doing? Sounds like a very busy schedule for today. How are you holding up?

Schatzi: I'm glad to hear that someone stayed op while on vacation. I didn't :devil: but I knew I wouldn't. That was good news about your friend. It sounded like you were really worried about her.

Ellis: How's the stomach doing?

Anchor: You know the deal...It's not about hoping it's about planning. ;)

Beach Bum: Glad to hear that you had a good visit with the grandchildren.

Beach Gal: WTG on the good grade. :cp:

Me: I'm up a little. 3 1/2 pounds. :o I'm going back to phase 1 for a week. DD did very well in spite of the the crazy stuff going on. We did lots of walking so I think that helped. It's good to be home. :hat:

Lydia, who is now ready for breakfast and :coffee:

soon2Bfab
06-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Good Morning ladies....lots of post in here this morning.
I'm off to exercise since I did NONE yesterday! Ugh!
It's hot here too.....everyone try to stay cool!!!
I'll peck in later!

Barb0522
Sounds like it is hot in most of North America! It was sure hot yesterday at Twilight Camp. First we stood in the sun for almost a half hour with announcements and a flag ceremony. Then Brian had a nature hike followed by soccer before he got to take a break during dinner. My teaching schedule got all switched around because the bird houses didn't come in. I have been told that they should be here today with the holes pre-drilled but they will be bird feeders rather than bird houses. Oh, well, I'm going to get there early enough today to make sure I know how to build them before I have to teach groups of 30 kids. Yesterday they made invitations which didn't take them long. I think most will like the bird feeders better. Luckily I am set up at a picnic table under the trees where there is shade. I sunburn really easily.

I did good on the food. I brought a little cooler with three bean salad and a pack of drained crab along with some grapes. I had lots of water to drink too. I KNOW I enjoyed my dinner more than the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and chips that most people had. And my weight is back down to it's lowest this morning again - 139!

I need to take Brian to get his teeth cleaned this morning and drop DH at the dealer to pick up his car (new battery) but he's sleeping in since he was off his CPAP machine last night due to bad storms and a long power outage.

wenchybritches
Hey you chickens! I just went downstairs to see what spagetti sauces we have....we have the Classico Tomato & Basil!!!!!!!! :cb:
We are Sam's shoppers, and she got it at Sam's. Amen!!!!!!
Happy camper today!!!! :D

gofishin50
06-14-2005, 11:54 AM
:wave:Hey 2all u BEACHIN BABES!!!!

No time to post ystrdy:comp: and:tantrum:bk 2work again 2day:tantrum:.....

Just 2hot:flame: 2eat n TEXAS,but getting plenty of fluids:cheers:,,,,Changed my June ticker:kickcan:,seems this is going 2b a slow upstream battle 2make:sumo:....Like the fish better anyway...:smoking:

WHOOPS, :dizzy: HIT THE WRONG BUTTON,wasn't finished posting!!!!!

Hope uall hv a great BEACHIN day on ur BEACH TOWELS:beach:,,,try 2chck bk in later b4 go to work:crazy:,2much 2do,:rolleyes:so little time!!!

.........................GOFISHIN:dancer:

soon2Bfab
06-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Lauri:
When we had rabbits, we use to use our old milk jugs & 2 -liter bottles from soda & fill them with water & freeze them. Then we would but the frozen bottles in their cages and the rabbits would lay near them/on them. One of my bunnies, Leroy would jump like crazy when he see me with the jugs...he always had to be the first bunny with a frozen jug! :lol:

kissyjoy
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Aloha Chickies!

I'm back from my oh-so-difficult vacation in Hawaii! :cool: :beach: I think I probably gained 20 pounds (or at least that's how I feel). I haven't had the nerve to get on the scale since I've been back! Mom and I seemed to eat and drink just about everything. On the plus side, we kept pretty active. Between the swimming and hiking....and reaching for those big boat drinks, I think we got plenty of exercise! :lol: We did some really great activities while we were there including an ATV ride to the most beautiful valley I've ever seen (on the Big Island), went up to 13,796 feet to the summit of Mauna Kea to watch the sunset then came back down to 9,000 feet to stargaze where we could see 100% of the northern and 70% of the southern hemispheres, and my personal favorite......ziplining on Maui! Basically, I hung like laundry on a clothing line and zipped across gorges. We got to go on 6 different ziplines each getting bigger in size. Our last zip was 750 feet where you get going to between 50-60 mph!!! :dizzy: It was soooooo much fun and I can't wait to go back again!!! I'm hoping I don't have to wait another 2 years to go!!!

I am buried in work and don't have too much time to post but I will try to get back in when I can! I hope you all have a wonderful day! Will somebody please kick my a$$ back OP????? :lol:

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Cj it sounds amazing. I want to go to Hawaii on my honeymoon!! And I totally want to zipline!!!!

Schatzi
06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh Kissjoy, it sounds like you had an absolute BLAST! Good 4 U!!! I think Iwould love to do tht Zipline thingy - wow soaring over beautiful Hawaii, can't get much better than that!...

Welcome back ! and considered yourself Kicked! :p

wenchybritches
06-14-2005, 01:49 PM
That sounds totally awesome CJ. That zipline things sounds like a blast!!!Now I just have one request.
Put me in your suitcase next time you go! :rofl:

ellis
06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry I'm not responding to all of you individually... I'm just sitting here whingeing. :lol:
It's 32C with the humidex (89F), and it's raining. I feel like a hot wet rag.
One good thing... I just had a three hour nap! :hat: I was tired and dizzy this morning. I'm hoping I'll have lots of energy tomorrow, because it's suppose to be a little cooler, and I have some MAJOR cleaning to do in here! I haven't turned the light on in the kitchen in days... I'm afraid of what I'm going to find. :lol:

beachgal
06-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Lauri:
When we had rabbits, we use to use our old milk jugs & 2 -liter bottles from soda & fill them with water & freeze them. Then we would but the frozen bottles in their cages and the rabbits would lay near them/on them. One of my bunnies, Leroy would jump like crazy when he see me with the jugs...he always had to be the first bunny with a frozen jug! :lol:

LOL...that's exactly what we do, too, Soon! I love that jumping! Unfortunately, my buns are not nearly as excited at the sight of the jugs. They scare them, I think! I have to be very cautious so I don't scare Denali to the other side of his enclosure (he's in while Bella's out) while putting the jug on his shelf! :lol: DH turned on our mega floor fan (this thing sounds like a jet airplane when it's on low!) and positioned it to blow through the baby gate to the bunnies. They were both lying on either side of 'Nali's enclosure wall, noses pointed to the wind and feet stretched out in back like two torpedo bunnies. :lol: So darn cute!

I know...that oughta be in the pet thread, but... ;) Are everyone else's pets doing okay in this heat?

KissyJoy, sounds like you had a fabulous time!!! :cloud9: You deserved it, too...after such a tough couple of months and all that work! Hope that you have some time to grab a breath before it all descends on you again! I found that though it was fun being able to eat whatever on my vacation, I felt yucky, unhealthy, and out of control when I got home. Jumping back OP was a relief. Hopefully you'll feel that way, too. :)

Schatzi
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
My 2 fur babies (Darby and Casey) are "Schlubbing" ... I've been getting them out early for their walk early, cuz the heat really bothers them. In the middle of a walk Casey ( my little kookoo broad) is known to just lay down and looks at me as if to say " That's it I ain't going no further ".. I either have to wait till she is ready or pick her up . :lol:

kissyjoy
06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Laurie - I wish I could say that I don't have a bunch of work to jump back into but I do. I've got weddings coming up from the end of this month through October! I'm a little bit slower come November/December. My next one on the 25th is a MOBFH (mother of the bride from ****) :devil: .....and I'm not being sarcastic. I'm also helping my mom move my grandma into an assisted living place. She had to go into the dementia unit because she's hallucinating and she's not on any medication.

I do feel very unhealthy right now (as do my clothes). I haven't had time since I got back to go to the store so I'm still eating a bunch of junk. Today is my mom's b-day and we're going to have big 'ol nasty cheeseburgers with grilled Maui onions and taro rolls I brought back. She's dying to see our video we took while we're there. I promise I'll get back to eating better. It just seems like there's some type of event I have that I don't have too much control over what I eat every weekend. I'm going to get back on it...I will, I will, I will!!!!!

Thanks everyone else for the well wishes! It sure was tough coming home!

Bamiegurl
06-14-2005, 10:23 PM
CJ...Glad to see you back with us! Sounds like you had an awesome time over there. I'll make it over there one of these days! lol

Another day another dollar! lol Tomorrow is my first full day and I have to go in early. I have to help one of the bosses get all the invoices for a job together for billing. Or something like that! haha Today was the last day of the girl I am filling in for. Well it's 8:22 and I am beat! It will take a bit to adjust to working again! lol Oh here comes DH he has to do some soccer stuff. Gotta go!