South Beach Diet - ...need help in subsituting...

View Full Version : ...need help in subsituting...

angelshine90
06-13-2005, 07:34 PM
ok i found this recipe and I was wondering if anyone could help me make it south beach friendly....besides the obvious...

12 NUTTER BUTTER Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies, divided
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tub (12 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

CRUSH 8 of the cookies in resealable plastic bag with rolling pin. Mix cookie crumbs and butter. Press onto bottom of foil-lined 9x5-inch loaf pan.
MIX cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Gently stir in 3 cups of the whipped topping. Spoon 1/2 cup of the cream cheese mixture into small bowl. Stir in melted chocolate until well blended; set aside. Spoon half of the remaining cream cheese mixture over crust. Top evenly with chocolate mixture; cover with remaining cream cheese mixture.
FREEZE 4 hours or overnight until firm. Invert onto plate. Remove foil, then re-invert onto serving platter so that crumb layer is on bottom. Coarsely break the remaining 4 cookies. Top dessert with remaining whipping topping and cookies.

any insight would be helpful!!!

THANKS

Ruthxxx
06-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh! You've got to be kidding! I wouldn't even attempt it! There is a limit to how many substitutions you can make in a recipe and have it remotely resemble the original.
Good luck!

jenne1017
06-13-2005, 10:46 PM
lol Ruth!!! :lol:

ellis
06-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Angel, there's no way, hon. :lol: Can't you find something else to make?

Suzanne 3FC
06-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Take the easy route :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/sb-bar.gif

aphil
06-14-2005, 08:01 AM
:rofl:

angelshine90
06-14-2005, 09:30 AM
oooh that makes me sad...:( i actually figured it out though it obviously wont taste the same!

beachgal
06-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Angel, it does sound good, but honestly, some recipes would take so much work to change it's better to let them go! Why not think of another way to eat something like it? You could make a PB cheesecake and put semi-sweet choc chunks in it...or try the chocolate PB cake recipe I put in the forums. It's excellent! :D

angelshine90
06-15-2005, 09:24 AM
good idea!..i was grumpy about it cause J's mom made it for everyone and I really wanted some..but I thought i could make my own....thanks Laurie for being so nice about it :)...I will def try the PB cake :)

mrce
06-15-2005, 09:56 AM
How about this:

1/2 cup nut flour (peanuts?) mixed with 2 TBS ICBINB and 3 TBS Splenda
2 Tbsp. canola oil or ICBINB
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Fat Free Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup NATURAL creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup splenda or other sweetener
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tub (12 oz.) COOL WHIP FREE Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
2 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted OR 2 TBS cocoa mixed with 1 TBSP canola oil or ICBINB.

angelshine90
06-15-2005, 10:02 AM
oooh there we go....!!! THANK YOU...I will give this a shot tonight...see how it turns out :)

mrce
06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
(Just make sure that you adjust your Splenda to suit the Cocoa--some times, it isn't sweet enough..)

Good Luck

Sheba's Mom
06-15-2005, 10:40 AM
OK dumb question what is ICBINB?

angelshine90
06-15-2005, 11:04 AM
I cant beleive its not butter :)

Sheba's Mom
06-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks angelshine

angelshine90
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
noooo problem! this looks yummy I cant wait to try it!

NillaWafer
06-15-2005, 12:31 PM
I was thinking it might be worth it to try and sub for this recipe. I myself was wondering if I could use the mock peanut butter cookie (from P1 recipes) as a crust for a OP cheesecake.

So, I would suggest subing the crushed up cookies with the mock peanut butter cookies. I think with their texture you don't even need to add additional margarine.

Let us know how it turns out if you make it!

angelshine90
06-15-2005, 02:07 PM
yeah you know I thought about that...the SB cookies though were really crumbly (spelling lol) for me...i will experiment ...:) but i KNEW something could be done :)

beachgal
06-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Good thinking, chicks! Some recipes are worth working with, but each person has to decide it for themself. ;) I think that there are very few, if any, things that can't be made SBD safe...it's just a matter of how much work you feel like putting in!

I'm wondering, personally, how to make old fashioned chocolate wafers so I can make chocolate cookie crusts. But I know it'll be a ton of work, so I'm putting it off for now... :chin:

NillaWafer
06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Exactly Beachgal, not everyone has the desire, time or cash to experiment with recipes. I love to cook so I find it fun to try and come up with mock replacements for the things I miss. If they don't work out then I either throw them out or have a little trying to figure out what I can do next time to make it better.

I can't wait to try your PB cake recipe, it looks really good. I just found a brownie recipe on an "EggBeaters" package that looks like it might work if I substitute WW pastry flour for the regular flour. I have to make cookies for my kids to take to summer camp for treat day, so making these brownies might keep me from the temptation of licking the spoon or :doh: eating a cookie.

ellis
06-15-2005, 03:50 PM
You posted that KNOWING that someone here is going to figure it out for you, Laurie! :lol3:

beachgal
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Ellis! Shhhhh....how'd you know? :s:

angelshine90
06-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I tried your CAKE and AHHHHH SOOO GOOOOOD!