General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #1  
I'm lovin my scale

Default Crochet Anyone?

Hi all,
I just wanted to find out if anyone else out there crochets and ask for some ideas. I've been doing it for maybe five years, still basically a beginner, but that suits me. I make afghans, they're flat and square and don't really require too much thought. I've got a box of yarn odds and ends that i don't know what to do with. I don't have enough of any one of them to make something, but i'd sure like some ideas of what to do with the mess of them. Any are welcome.
Thanks,
Christine
Old 06-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #2  

You can do a granny square throw. These are easy, and you can use up all the leftovers.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #3  
Scrap-aholic

I don't but I love being crafty. What about pot holders, with the left overs?? Can you do things like booties or hats...maybe a scarf??? I realize in AZ you might not need many scarves (is that the way you spell it?) but it could be fun to make and give as a gift to someone. Using the left overs would make a really unique scarf...I think...but I'm not really a "go with the flow" kinda gal.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you look in the crochet pattern books in your local store, there are some great patterns for afghans that are made up of a bunch of different squares. There is a pattern that I have in particular, where each square in the blanket is in a different "stitch" such as single crochet, double crochet, triple crochet, popcorn stitch, etc. The pattern made them all out of one or two colors, and then used a plain color like white/ivory to edge them and attach them all, and do a nice edging. But, to use leftovers, you could make each square from a leftover fabric instead. It would make one of those great, homey throws that are great for watching a movie on the couch with.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

I'm a crochet junkie. Leftovers? Either Granny Squares or I donate them to a local VBS or some kids craft thing.

I make afghans mostly...and some baby sweaters and matching booties and afghans. My favorite tip is to always crochet with two strands and an N sized hook. The afghans work up really fast and they are thick and cozy. I have two favorite books I got at Michael's 101 Afghan Stitches and 101 Ripple Stitches. This book gives you the multiples you need to make this pattern and it's up to you to decide what size yarn/hook you want and how big you want it. Also, I have 99 Granny Squares. I make an afghan for each of my neices/nephews when they graduate HS for them to take on campus at college for their dorm. I think they like them. They'll appreciate them when they least expect it. I'll try and take a picture of the one I'm working on now and post it. It's an olive green/ivory ripple pattern for my nephew that needs to be done by Sunday Thank god for air conditioning!!

Okay..gotta run.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #6  

I have a pattern book that has afghans specifically done with more than one string of yarn at a time, and with a larger hook. There are patterns in it for using 2-4 strings of yarn at a time.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #7  

Lightbulb crafty crafty crafty

I love crocheting... knitting... sewing... anything that involves making something!! I have always been crafty... but last year I decided to quit smoking... and my crocheting and knitting have sprung into full gear... its very therapeutic ! I've crocheted a great warmer-winter poncho... now i'm working on another one for summer... another idea is to make yourself something nice... a sleeveless sweater for summer... etc. You could always use your talents for xmas gifts.. I crocheted my mom a great shaw... she's recently been going thru chemo treatments for cancer (fully recovering now!)... and loved having the shawl to keep her warm.

There are also a lot of charities that accept knitted and crocheted items for children and families that have suffered from a long term illness, cancer, disaster. You may want to keep plugging at afghans and consider donating them.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #8  

Yes, you can donate new baby afghans to Crisis pregnancy centers, full size afghans to homeless shelters, and many other places.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I like to crochet as well but I'll usually start something and then never finish. If you do a search you can find a lot of free patterns online and many of them call for scraps.
Closed Thread