Exercise! - Cool Runners #10 - June 13 - 19

View Full Version : Cool Runners #10 - June 13 - 19

Ilene
06-13-2005, 08:12 AM
G'morning Runners :wave:

Thank you so much everyone for the well wishes for my Dad, he is doing very well....

I had a good weekend. It was quiet. I ran Saturday morning 7am to 8am and it was already almost 30c very very :hot: ... Sunday I ran on the :tread: and it was all good, only 5k though...

MrsD -- Congrats on the improvements, you are on your way!!

Ellen -- :high: on the 10K and your time...

It's still hot here and I am loving our new central AC newly installed this year...

Today will bike to the gym and work legs...

MrsDawsondn
06-13-2005, 09:35 AM
hello everyone sorry but I posted this in the old thread so I'll repost here

Hi ellenwu I was excited to hear about the race and it sounds like you've accomplished the run even with it being hot and sticky out which is great Kudos!!

Congrats on the scale victory Leannem83 sounds great!!

Paperclippy thanks so much for the compliment! I have actually been training myself to run since September 2004 so it's an advance but it definitely has not been an extreme advance. I started out with the walk/jog program the 8 week program then it started getting cold outside and I stopped running for a while. Then I started going to the Gym and working out on the treadmill and by the time March and april rolled back around I would experiment with running outside but I didn't get serious about it until May so It's actually been a long complicated journey lol So pace yourself and you'll be there in no time.

Only me congrats on getting out there even when you didn't feel like it! that's a great accomplishment. Also I was wondering about that exacct same issue that you were talking about to allie. I know that I am alot bigger than you guys but when I run afterwards I am very hungry and most times I'm pretty consistent with eating clean but sometimes my appetite is out of control and I am on a serious plateau that will not budge for anything. My hubby on the other hand doesn't have to work out half as much as I do and he loses weight with no problems! I may need to consult my doctor about a balanced diet because I have Hypothyroidism and I wonder if that is what's making it so hard for me to lose this 5 lbs that I've been fighting for a month. I guess I'll find out soon enough after my weigh in next saturday. Well i've decided to up my daily runs/ walks to 2 miles in the morning instead of 1.6 miles. I did pretty good today I ran it in 25:38 so I'm happy. hopefully this will shock my body into losing weight lol. Last week I ran a total of 11 Miles.

paperclippy
06-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Good morning everyone! I think I will be getting longer runs in now that I have switched to running M/W/F and strengthening T/Th instead of trying to do both in one 1-hour workout. 5K this morning in 42:30 -- I'm wondering what is a good goal to set for my time. Ultimately I would like to be able to run 5K in 30 minutes, but that is a really long-term goal (considering I'd have to do better than 10 min/mile, which seems really hard to me). Is it too small of a goal to aim for 40 minutes?

AnneWonders
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
MrsD you are doing just so awesome! You should be proud of yourself.

Paperclippy, you'll have to let us know how the new workouts go. 40 min down from 42:30 is more than a 5% improvement--a goal well worth setting.

Ilene, my thoughts are with you and your father.

I had a hard time getting going this morning, so I settled on a short walk 1.5mi, which turned into 2.5mi by the time I was done--I just enjoyed myself. Saw a beautiful red cardinal on my walk this morning. I found out this week that one of my triathlon friends is also pregnant, due a couple months after me, so I'm hoping we can motivate each other to get back to racing after the babies come. Maybe some trade-off sitting so we can do a long run or ride once in a while.

Hope everybody has a great run today.

Anne

skinnyjeans
06-14-2005, 10:11 AM
HI everyone! Spent a long weekend in the UP and was able to fit in a great couple of runs. It was so quiet up there.

I just promised to run a 10 mile in August with a friend so I need to start training for that if I am going to be ready. I have 10 weeks which is a good amount of time, I think. Does anyone know of a 10 mile training plan? I haven't seen one and am thinking of modifying a 1/2 marathon to fit my schedule but thought I would ask anyway.

Paperclippy-I think 40 mins is a good goal to work for. Big enough to take some time to reach, small enough to be encouraging that it won't take forever.

Anne- I'm glad that you have a Trithlon friend who is pregnant also. It will make getting back into the swing of things more enjoyable. Also you have someone to commiserate with while you are missing your rides and runs.

Ilene- I am so glad to hear your Father is doing well.

SJ

Only Me
06-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Ilene, I've been reading about your heat wave and I'm rather glad that we've been right on the edge of it and it's always cooled down at night. Seems to be over for us now, as it's cool and rainy today and until friday.

Paperclippy, 40 minutes sounds like a good goal for now.

Anne, your friend and you will be out together pushing jogging strollers or pulling bike trailers before you know it.

Skinnyjeans, I'm not how much you're running now. Hal higdon's novice half marathon training is pretty gentle and only goes up to a 10 mile long run, so that might work as a training program for you; it's a 12 week program, which might be too long. Alternately, he does have a 10mile/15k training program on his site too which is only 8 weeks. It's www.halhigdon.com.

BrunetteChic_2000
06-14-2005, 12:13 PM
HAPPY FLAG DAY!!! :balloons:
Heat index today is about 100 degrees, I am totally stupid for going out for my little walk/jog/run in the middle of the day??????? :?:
I am a new runner, sort of. I have come back to it, because it has always proven to be the fastest way for me to lose weight and tone up my legs.
So, here is my issue today, do I go out at 1-2ish, or weight until this evening when it might be 5 degrees cooler?
Also, have I mentioned how much I hate living in the Deep South? No offence to all those Southern Belles, but I was not made for this kind of weather!!!:cry:

skinnyjeans
06-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the link OnlyMe. His training schedule looks to be pretty much what I was hoping to do.

SJ

MrsDawsondn
06-14-2005, 04:15 PM
hello everyone hey brunette chic 2000 "waving". I think when you run depends solely on what is a better time of day and how it fits into your schedule. 1-2ish may actually be a not so good choice especially if your in the south because usually the hottest time of the day is between 3-5pm so it may start to get a bit hot at that time. My preference is in the Morning because I have children and a husband and I work 8-5 and I'm kinda like a soccer mom(Driving kids to practice and games and going to church) LOL. Plus my whole day runs just a little bit smoother when I run in the mornings. Some people like the evenings because you can wind down and relax and the sun is going down so it's much cooler. It just depends on you and your schedule.

Update I walked my 2 miles this morning at 39:55 so that was cool. I am gaining weight though and I have no idea why!!! Can someone please explain to me how to curb these hunger episodes that I have like 2 hours after I workout or run? It's hard to diet AND run :( i need help!!

ellenuw
06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Brunette - welcome to the gang. I agree with the advice you got from Mrs D - you need to figure out what works best for you. Ase you doing your run inside or outside? That could have a huge impact on what time, especially in "code red" days.

Mrs D - you are doing awesome and are an inspriration to me. Your dedication helps me get my sneaks on. I feel like we are "doing this together".

Anne - friends make all the difference. My "workot buddy" just left for a writer's workshop for 6 weeks and here at "Day 2" I am sorely missing her.

Paperclippy - 40 min was my goal for my first (and only) 5K - I came 9th out of 13th in my category and felt like a million bucks at the end. I started training in Feb and ran it at the end of April, so you should have no problem. If it turns out to be too "easy" of a goal you can cross it off your list and set a lower one. That is the beauty of the goals - did that one, on to the next!

I had a running assessment yesterday at a local physical therapy studio. Here is a "copy and paste" from my post in LWL. All in all, it was a great experience:

... Also, yesterday my trainer and I went to a physical therapy studio to have my running assessment done. It was a very thorough and interesting session, and I highly recommend it. The therapist examined my feet, ankles, legs, knees and hips. He had me stand and walk barefoot and again with shoes. Immediately he turned to my trainer and pointed out the problem and why my ankles were hurting so much. I have a severe pronation (sure hope I got that right) in the heel section of my foot, but not mid-foot or front. It is very dramatic. He then took me outside and video taped me walking and jogging on a trail from front, back and side and did the same inside on the treadmill. He said that most people have a different gait on trails vs treadmill, but I, surprisingly, was consistent on both. He also pointed out that I go too vertical in my stride - mostly from the hips. He then gave me and my trainer a list of exercise I could do to combat both issues and walked us both through them. I am so glad I took my trainer with me, as he asked a lot of good questions and worked with the PT to make sure we were doing them correctly. The PT also gave me a list of things to look for in shoes (and I thought gray was just a color). It was well worth the time and money.

Today I went into the gym to do my hill run on the treadmill and realized I was too hot and tired, so I did a hill walk instead and concentrated on things the PT told me - like pushing off from my big toe and engaging the glutes more.

I could feel the difference.

paperclippy
06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will definitely make 40 minutes my goal!

Mrs D - I find that if I have some kind of protein about 30 mins after working out, I don't get as hungry later. Usually I have a yogurt right after I get out of the shower, and that works for me pretty well. I also make sure I eat something with protein and carbs before working out (but if you get cramps, you need to be careful about that), usually cereal and milk, but I know a lot of people recommend eggs (or egg whites or eggbeaters or something). If I skip my post-workout snack, I will be starving all day long! :lol:

Brunette - If you run in the middle of the day, make sure to bring a BIG water bottle along! I know what you mean about the weather -- I'm in New England, not the South, but after growing up in the super-dry desert-y heat of Los Angeles, the humidity around here is killing me! I'd rather be parched at 105 degrees than sweating like a pig in humidity at 90 degrees!

Ellen - Wow, that sounds really interesting. Was it really expensive? The closest I've come to having something like that done is that when I bought my running shoes the guy at the store made me run in a few different pairs to find out how much arch support I needed! :lol: My whole family has this issue where our arches are really high, so without arch support we roll our feet toward the inside and have this sort of "waddle" . . .

Ilene
06-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey Gang !! :wave:

I ran inside tonight because it is just too hot out 25-30C and humid, yuck !! I ran 6.4K in a little less than 50 minutes so that was good for me I'm no speedy Gonzales...

Yes, Paperclippy, a 40 minute 5k is a very honourable goal!! Go for it...

MrsD -- I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours this keeps my cravings at a minimum, because I am always planning a future meal :lol: ''Oh good in 30 mins I can have a salad and salmon or cottage cheese and strawberries or oatmeal and eggwhites... I have a portion of protien and a portion of carbs at each meal... Usually before a run I have 1/3c oatmeal with 1/2c eggwhites the eggwhites either in an omelette or mixed in with the oatmeal (yes, I have weird taste in food) I will often have the same when I come back from a run too but first I drink a lot of water as soon as I walk in the door... Eating often though takes a LOT of planning, but I really like it this way now... When I BBQ for the family I always make enough for leftovers for a few meals so I don't have to think all the time of what to make and just grab what I have...

I ran at 7PM tonight, I really enjoyed it but the downfall is that it's 11:30 and I'm not tired, I'm gonna pay for this tomorrow :faint:...

TTFN:wave:

WazzuGirl
06-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Hi gang,

Looks like everyone is doing great! I've been hanging in there chipping away at the C25K program -- working on week 5. I'm going to have my first big challenge on Thursday. I'm supposed to run 2 miles without stopping. I'm scared but I'm gonna try my darndest to do it. I should be done with this program by mid to late July depending on if it takes me a little longer to reach some goals. My goal is to enter my first 5k by early to mid August.

I'm finally starting to "feel" like a runner now. When I first started about a month ago, I felt clumsy out there but now I'm starting to get into a rhythm. What a great feeling! :D

Only Me
06-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi All, I ran 7k this cool and rainy morning (better than hot and humid!), including 3 hill repeats. But I think the hill was a little shorter than it was supposed to be, so I'll have to find a longer hill that's about the same distance from my house for next week's hills.

Wazzugirl, good luck with week 5 day 3. I did it last summer and I still remember the feeling of accomplishment when I finished it. If you feel like stopping early, take stock. Can you still breathe? Can your legs keep going? Any other physical reason to stop? No? Then don't let your brain stop your body from moving.

AnneWonders
06-15-2005, 08:46 AM
MrsD, I also had trouble controlling my hunger when I stepped up my running. I never found a really great solution to it. It helped somewhat to eat an all-carb no-fiber snack (I have a finicky tummy when I run and if it isn't easily digestible, I'll pay) about 30 min or so before, and have a carb/protein snack IMMEDIATELY after I finished, before showering even. Chocolate milk works great for that, since it helps to rehydrate too. Adding (or just rearranging) a few more calories right around a workout can sometimes help ward off a bigger indiscretion later when you are just starving. Having said that, while I dropped a lot of sizes after I took up running (18W down to a 10/12), it didn't seem like the weight came off as quickly (30 lbs in about 6 months, where I'd been about 10lb/month before). I also felt really sick anytime I ate anything resembling lo-carb, and felt a lot better once I balanced my diet at about 60% carbohydrate, mostly the low glycemic load kind, i.e. lots of fruit, veggies, legumes, and whole grains, except right before and after running where high GL stuff was better. Remember, everybody's physiology is different so what was/is true for me, may not be true for you, but that's what I experienced, in case it's helpful to you.

Ellen, sounds like you had a very cool experience with your PT. You'll have to let us know how it works out long term! Do your shoes fit your running style and help with your pronation issues? Some shoes are better for that than others and can make it easier.

WazzuGirl, I'm so excited for you on your 2 miles. Breaking new barriers always makes a person feel great about herself. I know you can do it!

Ilene, Only Me, humidity is terrible. It may be 100+ here, but at least it's dry and the mornings are great. When I visit my parents in Missouri, I just want to curl up and die. So unpleasant. Take care of yourselves, that can be dangerous!

My goal for the day is about 45 min of step aerobics this evening. I'm starting to bring myself around to the conclusion that I need to get off my butt, even if my chosen activities (run, swim, bike) are out of reach for me now with the pregnancy. Stop moping about it, so when the time comes to start up again, I'm as close to ready as I can be. Funny that I didn't realize I was moping, until I'd been doing it for 3 months!

Run strong, everybody!

Anne

NillaWafer
06-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I am still hanging in there doing all of my planned workouts. I do have a question for anyone you can answer. Since I am following this structured plan what happens if I don't follow it exactly for a week? Do I just go back a re-do the week that I altered or do I skip that week and immediately go to the next week?

My sons have been sick these last couple of days and I have been taking it a little easy on my runs just in case I catch what they have. My running plans works on increasing increments and I didn't increase like I should have this week. As of right now I am just repeating the week and then going from there to increase it instead of just skipping the gradual increments and going to the higher one...does this even make sense? :?:

The end result of the plan is to run a race but there isn't any close by the weekend so it might work out that I did have these slip ups and repeats.

ellenuw
06-16-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi all - I highly recommend the running anaylsis if you have such services available. I know there was some discussion on LWL that similar anayses are available at podiatrist's office. I used the form suggestions on my tradmill hill run on Tues and yesterday my trainer incorporated some of the ankle and hip exercises into my workout, and I swear I feel a difference. Today I have a 30 min run planned and hope to use the form suggestions then. I plan on buying new shoes Mon (waiting for the paycheck to cross), so I will answer Anne's shoe and pronation question next week.

On new shoes: how long to break them in, and when will I know? If I buy shoes on Mon and use on short runs Tues, Thurs can I use on my long run Sat (10 miles) or wear my old shoes and give them another week? Also, if I am doing 3 short runs a week and 1 long run can I get by on one pair of running sneaks or do I need 2 to alternate? Thanks

LeanneM83
06-16-2005, 09:07 AM
UGh, I AM sick right now, but I am not going to let it get me....I rarely get sick even though my kids get sick what seems like very often...so when I am sick I workout twice as hard because I can't get sick, so if I pretend I am not sick it only lasts a day or two....hahaha, denial eh?

Alright, I will try to run today but dh is on overnight army duty so I may not be able too...but I will definitely make up for it in cleaning my house....haha

sniffle sniffle

Leanne

MrsDawsondn
06-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Hello all I went out and did my 2 mile walk todayin shorter time 34:39.

But I may make a doctors appointment to see what the issue may be as to why I am gaining instead of losing. I need to get my thyroid levels checked. I have Hypothyroidism but I've never really felt the effects of it. Regardless, I am sticking to my workout schedule and eating tons of fruit and veggies. I eat lots of carbs to stay energized actually my eating consists of more than 50% carbs in a day. I eat protein as well. I drink a smoothie in the morning for breakfast and I try to drink half my bodyweight in water in ounces and i workout consitently. Actually for one whole week I ate between 1500-1800 calories and worked out consistently then weighed myself and my weight didn't budge so I am going to have this checked out. I run farther and faster than I ever have, but I see no difference in inches or the scale. I feel stronger but I want to see it too. Maybe my body is going through a stage of holding on to my weight then dropping a bunch of weight I dunno. Please excuse my rant guys I know I should take this to the support forum but I don't really know those guys LOL. Thank you all for your support you guys are really great!! :D

Ilene
06-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Ellen -- The first time I got my new runners in December I did 8K right off the bat because they were so comfy and I have never ever gotten a blister... Lucky? Maybe? I dunno :lol: ... Maybe some of the other gals can give you suggestions... But your initial plan sounds good...

Leanne -- Take your Vit C ... I swear by it ... and rest if you can with 3 kids :faint:...

MrsD -- Good idea to get your thyroid checked... I find if I eat 1500-1800 cals/day I stay the same too... I have to eat closer to 1300-1500 to lose weight, which I'm having a difficult time doing these days......

No running or any formal type of exercise today...My bad but I really had no time, honest!

skinnyjeans
06-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Hey, all well here..I ran yesterday and today is my day off. Sounds like everyone is doing a pretty good job of keeping up.

Leanne-Sorry to hear you are sick. Hopefully it will pass quickly

Ellen- Usually when it comes to shoes I just listen to my feet. If they feel OK after your first two runs then go ahead and wear them for the long run. If in doubt take a break and wear the old ones one more time. Better that then a blister. Also if you are taking a day off between runs (which you pretty much are by running 4 times/week) I don't think you need to alternate your shoes. Alternating shoes is for when you run on them every day to give the shoes a chance to have the cushioning spring back. By running every other day you are pretty much doing the same thing.

MrsD- Frustrating spot to be in, but keep up the good work.

Wazzu-How did your two mile run go?

AnneWonders
06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi everybody,

Nilla, I usually just continue on the training schedule if a single week gets messed up. If I miss any more than one, I'll try to back down a little. It might depend on how comfortable you are with your plan--if you were cruising right along, it's probably OK, but if you're struggling to keep up, maybe doing the week over isn't such a bad thing.

Ellen, I usually try to run my new shoes on short runs (<5 mi) before I take them longer. Getting a blister at 6 with 4 to go just is a risk I don't want to take. That also goes for new running shorts, sports bra, or anything else that could chafe or blister. When it works out, its just wonderful, and when it doesn't, OUCH!

I can't believe I just called a 5 mi run short when I huff and puff getting around the block now!

I'm 4 for 4 days on the exercise this week. None running of course, but I did a nice 2.5 mile waddle on Tues. I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'll run again after I have this baby, and do what I can in the meantime. So far, in addition to waddling, I've been able to swim (sort of), ride a stationary bike, and do some modified step aerobics. Not like I used to of course, but not bad for a preggo.

Anne

LeanneM83
06-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey everyone...still sick here, but not bad, I really can't complain it hasnt been too bad!....My dad is coming up for a visit this weekend, and hubby has to work all weekend so at least I will get to workout...I am going to run todaysee how far I can go...since I am still in the early stages of my training program part of me says NO, I can run further than that...but the other part says, JUST FOLLOW THE program...(hahah- get with the program) Either way I owe running A LOT...I am loving the way I look and how I feel- so all the pain is DEFINITELY worth it!!

Happy Friday everyone!

Leanne
CW 119.4 YAY ME

Only Me
06-17-2005, 03:56 PM
9k for me this morning to make up for not getting out of bed yesterday when I was really tired and it was pouring rain. Rain didn't really start up today until I got home.

Nilla, I wouldn't worry about one week getting messed up. But since you don't have a goal race, you could repeat the week if you prefer or if you find the next week too challenging.

Ellen, I think if you wear the new shoes a couple of times during the week without problems, you'll be ok for a longer run on the weekend. Last pair of shoes I bought I wore them for one shorter run before running 16k in them, but they were identical to my previous pair which were pretty worn out.

MrsDawsondn, good idea to check with your dr. The women in my family have a huge history of thyroid disorders, which seem to hit most around the time they hit 40. My sister was only a teen though, and my mother was in her 50s before it was noticed. They need their medication levels re-adjusted periodically. I know I should have my levels checked every couple of years, but I'm bad about getting around to it.

Ilene, I hope your Dad's treatments aren't too hard on him (or you). Make sure you take some time for yourself this weekend and go to the gym or run. You'll feel better for it.

Leanne, hope you're feeling better soon. I hate having a cold. I do keep running though unless I'm coughing. I find running clears my nose temporarily when it's just a head cold.

Anne, 5 miles will seem short to you again soon!

MrsDawsondn
06-17-2005, 04:44 PM
skinny jeans, ilene, only me, thank you so much for the advice.

Wow Leannem83 hope you feel better I know it can be awful to be sick this time of year.

Nilla I am by far no expert but it sounds like as long as you stick to your schedule if you want to start another week over to get comfortable with that running pattern sounds fine to me.

Ellen I bought my running shoes back in sept but i wasn't running like you guys do but mine were pretty comfortable when I got them. Maybe you have to break them in I dunno.

Ilene I pray that all is going the best with your father and when you get the chance then you worry abvout getting back on the ball.

Wdranne I think it's awesome that you are out there active even during this time of carry another little person LOL. You go girl I give you the utmost respect :D

Paper clippy you are the sweetest person thank you so much for the words of inspiration they really help me when I'm out on the road pounding the pavement. Your an inspiration!!

I am making a doctors appointment for my hypothyroid levels to be checked now . I also REALLY want to have a body fat measurement done, I wonder if they do that in the doctors office :dunno I've been incorporating weight training with my running and I feel much stronger but I don't know if there is lean mass building up under all this fat LOL. I also want to understand why since I've started running consistently my appetite has gone completely out of whack and I now need to eat more to get full. And it's not bingeing either, I really don't fill satisfied when I eat my snack packs from home :( I feel like I have to compensate with some form of Carb to fill me up. I did my two miles on lunch today because I didn't get up this morning to run it. Tomorrow I'm gonna try for a 3 miler like i did last weekend. Run two miles and walk/jog the last mile and then come on in LOL. I've docked 10 miles this week so far so that's awesome and tomorrow that'll make it 13 miles. I finally went back to the library and picked up the complete idiots guide to running and read it for a second time. I LOVE this book it breaks running down so simply. In this book it says that you burn roughly 100 calories per mile. ANd if you run 10 miles in one week that's 1,000 calories, 3,500 calories equals 1- lb. Mind you this doesn't even calculate reduced caloric intake which may be a 500-1000 caloric deficit. So that you can expend more calories than what you take in. All equaling weightloss :D. man i wish this logic would go into effect on me. But then again I have been having out of control hunger episodes this week........ I dunno regardless we are doing this running girls let's keep it up!

paperclippy
06-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Leanne, I hope you feel better soon!

Sounds like everyone is doing really well with the running! My bf and I are planning a nice long run for tomorrow morning, if the weather permits it -- maybe about 4 miles (haha, short for you marathoners, but long for me!).

Speaking of which, I have a question for you ladies about long runs and that time of the month. When it is that TOM, and you are planning a long run, do you use tampons or pads? I'm asking because I haven't used a tampon in years, but I'm worried about chafing from my pad. Do you think wearing tight shorts is enough to prevent chafing? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Ilene
06-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Paperclippy -- I always wear tampons so I can't help you there...Sorry :(

MrsD -- If you have incorporated some weight training and you are training fairly heavy your hunger may be caused because you are making muscles and you just need to eat more protein. I try to eat between 100-150grams of protein/day, I weight train a lot and run... I eat 5-6 meals/day with a portion of carb and protein at each meal.

Only me -- Thanks for the thoughts for Dad and I... He's quite the strong ole guy he amazes me... as for myself the traveling got to me this afternoon because I had a 2 hour nap! It felt really good too, this was instead of working out unfortunately but tomorrow I will go to the gym and get in a good 2 hour workout... Plus TOM started so now this weeks tiredness/laziness should be all gone very soon...

Anne -- Your waddling talk reminded me how much I waddled when I was prego :lol:, I was a true duck so much so that I ruined 2 pairs of shoes each pregnancy... Ah, the memories!

Anyways hope everyone has a great father's day weekend!! TTFN :wave:

Only Me
06-18-2005, 08:37 AM
Paperclippy, I normally just wear tampons for tom, but (tmi ahead) last Sunday was day 2 of my first post-baby period, so I knew I'd need more. The pad didn't chafe at all for me, although it wasn't all that hot compared here to other places. I do wear fairly close fitting shorts to avoid the riding up problem.

MrsDawsondn, that 100 cals per mile is based on a 150lb person. So if you weigh more, you burn more (good for you) but if you weigh less, you burn less (not so good for me). Just something to keep in mind.

KristinP
06-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Hi Runners!

I've been MIA, but busy busy... so much to do... so little time. So that's why I have to run FASTER!

Anyway, I ran my very first race today! 5K in 34:04. I think I went too slow because I was fine after the finish. Next time I'll make sure to pick it up a bit. It was so great! I even won a door prize! Manicure and Pedicure. How awesome is that?

I was going to wait until tomorrow to post this, but I was too excited and had to share right now!

MrsDawsondn
06-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Ilene sounds like you had a great time with dad And i know that nap must've been wonderful!

Paperclippy I only wear tampons, Sorry I can't give any info about that either but good luck on that. And 4 miles sounds great! you go girl!

Hi Spanky nice to meet you and glad so see you back at it :D

Hey guys thanks so much for the words of encouragement and especially the tips.

Ilene I don't get alot of protein in and I think that is what I am lacking I have actually been eating ALOT of carbs. And this past weekend I thought I was doing alright but I guess I was out of control if you look at my ticker below you will all will see :(. In my mind sometimes I want to give up but my body is like " NO WaY" This feels too good to give up. Why, just this morning I woke up and I wanted to lay down but my body was so energized and rearing to go I went on ahead and put on my clothes and headed out the door half sleep but my body was so insynch? Crazy right? And I went shopping yesterday and I am able to fit into smaller clothes than I ever did when I was this weight just 3 months ago! Weird right? I am comfortably fitting a size 18 now and I thought I would have to get down to like 220-2teens to even think about wearing that size but they fit!!! Yippee. I did my 2 miles today in 26 minutes which is slower than usual but it was good that i got up I did my run right?

I did my 3 miles Saturday morning in 34:55 and that totaled my weekly running for June 13-19 at 13 miles. Oh yeah and thanks for the weight reference for the calories @ Only me I sure hope that means i burn more than 100 calories per mile.

paperclippy
06-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the advice and encouragement, everyone! In case anyone was wondering, wearing the tight shorts solved the problem. :) No running for me today though, my knees were bugging me so I did the stationary bike instead.

Only Me
06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
9k for me this morning, with 4k near my 10k race pace. It was a bit tough today; probably because I was walking a lot yesterday.

Spanky, Congrats on your first 5k! Better to finish with a bit of energy than to start out too fast and crash at mile 2, especially for your first race. Next time you know you can go out a bit faster.

MrsDawsondn, my body and mind are constantly battling each other. As my brain was telling me to crawl back into bed this am, my body was getting me dressed and out the door. About 15 minutes into the run, my brain came out of it's early morning fog, stopped protesting, and I had a great run in the early morning sun. And it sounds like you've been having some non-scale victories. Isn't a smaller you (represented by smaller clothing sizes) better really than a lower scale number? No one other than you and your dr. know the scale number, but everyone can see your new and improved body!

Paperclippy, glad to hear the tight shorts worked for you.

Ilene, I hope your week is going ok.

MrsDawsondn
06-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey ladies,

This morning I did my usual 2.0 mile walk and surprisingly I finished in 34 minutes again. I was sometimes walking leisurely and feel like I didn't get my heart rate up enough I guess or maybe the walking is just getting too easy :LOL I did a bonus weight train this morning after working out and THAT felt great!!! I used to lift in High School while in Track and Field (ran and did Shot put and discus) and I forgot how good it feels to accomplish lifting some heavy poundage and doing things with more ease the more that you go along. I lightened up on my eating yesterday and did pretty good and I feel better physically today :D.

Only me you are so right the clothing does feel better than to look at that old ugly scale as a matter of fact I'm trying to stay away from that bugger and weighing in every 2 weeks instead of every 1 week.

Paperclippy glad you found something that works for you.