100 lb. Club - Bikini area question

View Full Version : Bikini area question

barbygirl43
06-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I know this is a very personal question and if the guys don't want to be embarrassed or want to know about that area, I would stop reading here.

So how do you groom your bikini area? I noticed over the weekend that the "hedges" needed some major trimming in my new bathing suit. I thought I would attempt to shave the area but my darn belly hangs over so far it was almost an olympic sport to get my belly up and out of the way with one hand, stand just right and have the razor in the other.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated since I do plan on spending lots of time in that bathing suit, soaking up the sun. :D

Jillegal
06-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I guess if we wore those "plus size" bathing suits with the huge *** flowered skirts we wouldn't have to worry about it ;)

I have a Remington Smooth and Silky that works great - never had any irritating razor burn or chafing.

Sigh...guys have it so easy. :tantrum:

fitbyforty
06-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Give waxing a try and be hair free for weeks

treefrogtoes
06-08-2005, 05:30 PM
I keep everything trimmed down there with a "man's" beard-moustash trimmer. I just recently started to be able to do it without the use of a cleverly placed mirror. As for the strays... I don't have those to worry about, but Samantha always has me wax hers. So I say enlist the help of your hubby and go for it! ( and ya never know... it could lead on :o )

barbygirl43
06-08-2005, 05:45 PM
LOL Sara you are too funny. I was going to try waxing next time. I usually nair my legs now but I don't want that stuff anywhere near that place :)

jerkitout
06-08-2005, 05:53 PM
The Remington Smooth & Silky.. is that a razor or an electric shaver? I shave, but can only do it once a week as I get bad razor burn otherwise. I always try to shave neatly no matter what time of year it is but I eventually get little red bumps everywhere.

I naired once, but had no good results since my hair is pretty thick. I'd love to have it professionally done, but it seems to frivolous for my budget :(

teapotdynamo
06-08-2005, 06:14 PM
I have shaved successfully before, BUT... I hereby present:

Jen's "Lessons Learned" for Shaving DOWN THERE

1. Use a new razor, preferably NOT of the cheapest-in-the-store variety. No exceptions. Trust me.

2. Use an emollient shaving cream rather than soap. I especially like my husband's gel stuff, although I'm sure I smell like a lumberjack after. Hm. Odd associations there!

3. Don't get overzealous! One summer I actually shaved off the whole thing, but I will NEVER do that again. When it grew back, it itched furiously for a couple of weeks! For some reason, I haven't had that problem with "edge trimming."

4. Copiously baby powder the area afterward to avoid chafing.

Goddess Jessica
06-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I shave it all off with an electric razor (I use the blind woman's method of shave.feel.shave.feel.shave.feel), then I use a regular razor of the edges. Waxing is sooo the way to go but I haven't found anyone here that I trust to show them my naughty bits.

kykaree
06-08-2005, 07:15 PM
I do a variation on the Jennifer technique. Now this is going to sound stupid, but since doing crunches at the gym, shaving the private area is easier. I can suck my tummy in a lot better, and still breathe, and this lifts the offending overhang. (goodness me, I do hope there are no guys reading this!!!!) No longer do I have to hold up my tummy with one hand and shave with the other!!!

lucky
06-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Waxing is the way to go. Not long ago I worked up the courage to make an appointment for a Brazilian wax. This was my first professional wax of any kind so it was a big leap for me. I expected to be completely humiliated. But, when I got there the "technician" was about 8 months pregnant - not quite as intimidating as a perky skinny minnie. I braced myself for the first yank and just as she let it rip she held up the strip and said, "And THAT is why they call it SNATCH!" I thought I would die laughing and all of my modesty just rolled away.

One tip: if you do decide to go for a wax use an electric razor to trim everything down a bit first. It is a lot less painful if the hair is more of a stubble. I'm telling you, once you wax you won't go back!

Reaferg
06-08-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm sitting here cracking up because everything you guys are saying I've done. And yes Jen's rules are the way to go. I'm crying over here :rofl: :goodvibes

Jillegal
06-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Here you go, jerkitout:

http://www.remington-products.com/usa/products/hairremoval/ep1000.html

Some of these posts are reminding me of a time (long, long ago) when I made an entirely unsuccessful attempt at shaving a certain area into the shape of a heart for Valentine's Day... :twirly:

Jessie_777
06-09-2005, 01:17 AM
This subject came up on another message board I frequent :lol: One of the ladies swears by using dove's unscented deodarent after. Some girls tried and agreed that yes....that was the way to go for an itch free shave :)

SuchAPrettyFace
06-09-2005, 01:30 AM
I use a combination of the Jennifer/Jessica methods. Jessifer? Jennica? :lol:

I have a bikini trimmer, and trim & feel until there is almost nothing, then I finish off w/the Venus & a hair softener called...Coochy. (http://www.coochyshave.com/) Yes, it's name is Coochy. Accidentally leave it on your bathroom counter during a party for all sorts of commentary. :lol: This stuff is DA BOMB, and can be used to shave legs, armpits, and even as a hair conditioner in a pinch. I got mine @ a 'naughty party' (Slumber Parties), but I've seen it at the...um...adult book store, too. *cough* :angel:

Noxzema makes these cute lil bikini razors, but they're really made for a mouse or something, they are tinyyyy.

SwimGirl
06-09-2005, 02:14 AM
This is too funny, I am laughing.. it's interesting being a plus size gal trying to get rid of hair down there! I usually go with the rule "if I can't see it I can't shave it", however swimsuit season that becomes a problem (unless you get a swimsuit with a skirt! ;) ). I trim with a pair of sissors I got when I was in grade 6 (I don't even wanna think about that.. ), and then I use the bf's gel shaving cream, and his razor (I use a fresh blade ONLY got that region). I discovered using firming lotion helped with the itchy feeling, and made it look more pretty. There is nothing like proping up the belly .. lol.. makes me giggle!

-Aimee

taekwondomom
06-09-2005, 02:35 AM
So happy to have found you guys, err I mean gals! LOL Where else could you have a discussion regarding your bikini area and have total understanding about 'lifting the tummy out of the way"!
:grouphug: You all rock!
BTW, I use the feel and lift method myself. I also trim with a small scissors. :o :D

SuchAPrettyFace
06-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Nair for Bikini Area works, too. Smells like vanilla, you have to carefully apply it though, and not leave it on for too long. That's one place you don't want a chemical rash. :eek:

BethC
06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Boy, this is a more interesting topic than my egg whites...

I wax, usually a Brazillian ;) that way I don't have to worry about it for weeks...

jerkitout
06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I've tried the shave into a shape thing several times.. but not only is it a weird area to see, from upside down mind you, and hair is not easy to work with.. so it never really worked. However.. I tend to shave it in what becomes a small triangle I guess, not by choice.. must making sure I get the edges for some of my pretty panties. My husband the other night though remarked how it looks like a tree.. gee, isn't that romantic? ;-)

ingrid
06-09-2005, 11:52 AM
This topic is great, chicks. But I am wondering how odd I must be compared to the rest of you. I have never had to shave/trim for a swim suit or my bikini/thong panties. I have thick hair on my head, but not on my 'area,' as my hubbie likes to call it. I guess I should be thankful. I have been swimming 3-4x a week for the past month with nothing peaking out of the suit. And I prefer the higher cut suits to the conservative ones to elongate my legs.

barbygirl43
06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I used to not have to worry about it either but the adventurous side of me decided to go bald a few years back and ever since then I have a few runaways and have to take care of it or look like chewbacca in a bathing suit :D

josie4
06-09-2005, 12:30 PM
3. Don't get overzealous! One summer I actually shaved off the whole thing, but I will NEVER do that again. When it grew back, it itched furiously for a couple of weeks!

I did that once, too. STUPIDEST thing I ever did!!! :o

tolose85
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
This cracks me up. You know what I do? Especially since I'm pregnant and can't see a damn thing... Once a week, ole hubby gets out the clippers, shaves it down then he gets a fresh razor (his) and shapes it up for me. While I lay there on the floor and relax! He warms up the shaving cream and everything and follows it up with a dusting of baby powder. I look forward to it every week! lol!!! Now if THAT'S not sharing too much info.... Oh and I TOTALLY agree with the shaving it all off thing.. It's a no no unless you like to scratch down there!! :) This has been a very fun topic to discuss!! What shall we talk about next??/ :)

famograham
06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
AWWW, Gretchen, that's so sweeeeeet in a TMI sort of way :lol:

My hubby used to trim for me a looong long time ago...but relationship and self image issues have made that a thing of the past. You're so lucky! :)

Linda

kykaree
06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Wow, my dh would be more likely to run to the store naked and fetch a pint of milk than help in "that" department!!!!! Perhaps I need a new model, dh.ver.3.0 instead of the old model I bought!!!! LOL

I now know more about you girls and your relationships than my closest IRL (in real life) friends!!!

SwimGirl
06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Gretchen - that is TOO cute! I need to talk to my other half about doing that!

I am pretty... open... with most of my friends, we talk about the most ODD things, ranging from our other half's.. "self pleasure" frequency, to the hair down there.. it keeps things fun! TMI probably.. you just have to forget it when you see their partner .. lol..

-Aimee

Goddess Jessica
06-09-2005, 10:08 PM
My Cute Boyfriend did the exact same thing for me once because he thought it was sexy. The entire time I was clenched up, trying not to wince and trying not to think about this inexperience man with a razor near my friggin' temple of Goddess Jessica. Afterwards I was like, "Yeah, we're not doing that again."

howie6267
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I was not going to post to this but after seeing Jills post of a heart shaped doo I could not resist. I'm here at work and it's a good thing no one else works second shift because I am laughing my a## off.

This thread comes at a good time for me. Because I get to go home and shave down there tonight. I go for the big SNIP tomorrow. So they want me to shave tonight. Now I'm thinking of how I could be creative in shapes for the doctor. Hey doc you ever done a vasectomy to a guy with a heart shaped patch. :D :o :lol: :devil: :love: :angel:

famograham
06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
LOLOLOLOL :lol:

HOWIE, that would be awesome!

yikes!, the snip...big decision...good luck and godspeed! Do you guys have kids?

xox
Linda

howie6267
06-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Don't have em don't want em. We have our dogs and cat and that's plenty.

Jillegal
06-09-2005, 11:00 PM
I figured you'd make your way into this thread sooner or later, Howie! :lol:

Good luck tomorrow - here's hoping the surgeon has a keen eye and a steady hand :s: Although I don't know why you're bothering with a doctor, I've heard "Gardenwife" is very handy with the shears and weedwhacker! :devil:

DishyFishy
06-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Hey, Howie! Why don't you and K make a night of it and do each other? Oo-er! :o You know what I mean! :rofl:

howie6267
06-09-2005, 11:32 PM
She's a little to handy. She keeps saying she will cut my hair (on top get you mind out of the gutter people) and I won't let her do that. So what makes you think I would trust her in more delicate area's.

Gardenwife
06-10-2005, 12:48 AM
First off, this thread's cracked me up to the point where I nearly peed myself laughing...Even the replies crack me up!
AWWW, Gretchen, that's so sweeeeeet in a TMI sort of way

Howie, tell the doctor it's your lucky patch. :devil: Delicate areas? Oh, don't flatter yourself...You, the delicate flower.

Seriously, now, surely you can trust me to shave down there at least; no one but you, me, the doctor and a roomful of med techs will ever see it. That's assuming Discovery Health isn't doing some special filming or something. (I did ask the nurse who called if anyone ever asks to observe and after a slight pause she said, "I'm pretty sure you have to arrange that with the doctor ahead of time...").

I tried the Total Shave a couple of times. The razor cuts are baaad news! Even if you're careful, it's just tooo darned easy. And it ain't worth the itching when it starts growing back in.

Yeah, and you WONDER why we don't want kids? :lol:

lessofsarahtolove
06-10-2005, 01:10 AM
OMG I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Too, too, too funny!! I may just send all my Hodgkins galpals from the Hodgkins list over here just to laugh their asses off!! (Laughter IS the best medicine, right?) Ok, so I won't actually do that....but I have to say, this thread has given me so much pleasure! It's also reminded me that this particular aspect of my chemo-related hair loss has proven quite convenient and welcome! I've got what we call over at the Hodgkins board (yes, pubic hair is an ever-popular topic there as well! :lol: ) The Moustache but not The Beard. (I'm proudly sporting the John Waters, thank you very much. :yes: ) Makes life quite pleasant, actually. And it should be easy to maintain once we have "resproutage!"

As for my own technique, I share the Jessifer/Jennica plan of attack, with a bit of what we'll call "abdominal manipulation" and some Kama Sutra-like contortions. Not pretty. :o I must say, Gretchen, I think you've got yourself a keeper there in Jeremy! ;) Never let that guy go! Now promise me you'll commit to one another TONIGHT that you're going to maintain this sweet weekly tradition when little buckaroo arrives, ok? Lorraine has frequently offered to "assist" me in this department, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the Jessica camp on this one. "Mmmmm, no thanks." Ok, so we're both chicks, but you gotta draw the line at that same-sex bonding somewhere, don't you? ;) :lol:

Howie, you killed me with the thought of you going to that appt. with a heart-shaped patch! Man, that's funny.... :lol3:

Dawnyal, you're so cool bringing this up, I swear. What started out as a simple question has turned into a real community service! :p

howie6267
06-10-2005, 01:22 AM
I was thinking I could do the Monster Garage logo or something like that.

Gardenwife
06-10-2005, 01:26 AM
"Resproutage"! :rotf:

By the way, I read once that shaving the nether regions is easier if you're seated. Also, shave with the direction of the hair.

lessofsarahtolove
06-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Howie, I want to respond to you, I really do. I simply have no words. Monster Garage logo.....it sounds more complicated than a heart, but I wish you godspeed, man.

As for Kimberley's tips to sit and go with the grain: I sit, I stand, I prop a leg up over my shoulder....when I'm doing it, I do it all. I also approach the thing from every imaginable angle. I count it as cardio. :yes:

SuchAPrettyFace
06-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Oh good lord. :lol: :lol: :lol: Howie you made me laugh out loud w/a mouthful. :rofl:

***WARNING: TMI ON THE WAY***

And you reminded me of something. I usually let it grow in for gyno appts. A few years ago my b/f at the time asked why, I said, "I don't want to my dr to think I'm freaky!" He says, "You think she's never seen a freaky *&%$# before?!?!?" I SAID, "No, she could probably tell YOU a few stories." & he said, "What's her name?" I told him & he says, "You should shave her name into it--can you imagine the look on her face when she starts your pelvic & sees that?" :rofl: :lol3: :rofl: :lol3: He was a lot of fun.

My nickname: Cue Ball/Vin Diesel
My best friend's nickname: George Michael/The Shadow

Jessie_777
06-10-2005, 03:21 AM
"You should shave her name into it--can you imagine the look on her face when she starts your pelvic & sees that?"

OMG!!! :lol: :lol3: That is too funny!

Jen
06-10-2005, 05:40 AM
Very interesting thread gang!

I sit in the tub sideways with my legs bent so that my feet are sole to sole in front of me. FYI I have been doing a total shave for years and years and the itchiness goes away after awhile. I have about 1 day when it is a bit itchy and that is it.

nweisha
06-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Yeah, that whole having your guy help thing would be great, but my hubbie NEVER finishes anything he starts,:rolleyes: so I would just look like I had male pattern baldness in my downstairs region:lol:

tolose85
06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
This is great and is totally making my day! Very theraputic! I love to laugh!

Great Thread you guys!

BethC
06-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I actually kept mine waxed most of my preganacy (up until the end, pretty much) and then they wound up shaving it in the hopsital for a C-section.

I think my OB wanted to make a comment, but they're not supposed to do that.... :o

DaisyMaisy
06-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I have often thought about shaving but I have an interesting appendix surgery scar that leaves a huge gap where a swimming suit does not cover and I don't think shaving will help enough for me to feel comfortable in any swimsuit that does not have a skirt or short on it. LOL But now I feel I have some great tips if I ever feel like shaving. DM

DaisyMaisy
06-10-2005, 10:17 AM
PS the scar would also need to be treated gently since it is in the shaving area.

jillybean720
06-10-2005, 10:55 AM
oi vei--I'm lovin' this thread! :lol:

When Jeff and I started dating, I didn't shave down yonder at all. Then one day, I just randomly shaved it ALL. I've kept it that way ever since. I'm not any itchier than I was when it was all there (fat tummy hangover creates some itchiness anyway, so I've always had to powder up!), and I only shave once a week (Friday morning, since I only see Jeff on the weekends). He'll be in for a bit of a surprise when we move in together :p As for positioning in the shower, I've become quite the contortionist--razor in one hand, stomach in the other, leg propped up--it's not a pretty picture, but it gets the job done! and I always use a moisturizing shaving cream--no need to dry out the skin with regular soap :dizzy:

howie6267
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Well it's a done deal. No special doo for the doctor. I did try to do the vasectomy myself last night. Got a nice gash with the sisors. LOL

treefrogtoes
06-10-2005, 01:08 PM
You used a siscors!?! Did we not teach you anything on this thread!?!

Oh well, as long as it's still functional...

DishyFishy
06-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Seriously, now, surely you can trust me to shave down there at least; no one but you, me, the doctor and a roomful of med techs will ever see it.Phew.... I'm kind of relieved I won't accidentally drop across it in the Progress Pics! thread!! :p

I sit, I stand, I prop a leg up over my shoulder....when I'm doing it, I do it all. I also approach the thing from every imaginable angle. I count it as cardio. :yes: :rofl: That's hilarious!

Inca's Momma
06-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Geez Howie are you and Kimberley afraid of getting bit by the pregnancy bug around here?!?!?!? :lol:

barbygirl43
06-10-2005, 05:30 PM
OMG Y'all have definitely made my day laughing.

Howie, it looks like it all went well with your procedure.

In my overzealousness to get the bikini area done, my grassy area ended up getting smaller and smaller so Now I have one small line and a few spragglies here and there. I finally talked Jeff into helping me trim it up and he's supposed to it tonight. We'll see how that goes. So far it only itched that first day. The powder has really helped and I'm going to pick up some moisturizing shaving cream. I used his and I think it had menthol in it or something, quite the cooling sensation. :D

howie6267
06-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Yep no chance of that now. Or at least after 2 months.

Amanda Panda
06-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks Dawnyal for having the guts to post this thread - not only is it very informative, but also hilarious!!

LMAO @ Sarah - cardio! You crack me up!

HOWIE - Good luck with your 'snip'!

Love Amanda x

boiaby
06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Oh my goodness!! :o What a rowdy bunch! You guys crack me up! :lol3: I'm a good old electric clipper girl myself. No muss, no fuss, just a quick buzz and there you have it, no unsightly peek-a-boo. One problem I've encountered due to the excess skin though, (and I'm sorry if this is TMI but) I've found that the, um... area :D has become increasingly difficult to deal with. This, along with much of the rest of my poor, damaged body is quite droopy and saggy, thus requiring some interesting maneuvering to ensure the job gets completed. I also still have the belly issue. Although it is mostly deflated at this point, it does still get in the way. Ya know, I have to wonder what all those naturally thin people would think if they only knew the kind of stuff we have to go through just to accomplish normal, every day things. Ugh! :dz:

Beverly

Sheila53
06-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Well, up until now I haven't had anything to contribute to this thread (except a lot of laughter) because I don't do a darned thing down there. Never even thought about it until I started reading this. But I was at my eyebrow waxing appointment today, and I asked the waxer if she ever does bikini waxes. She said she's done them, but she doesn't like to because she's pretty modest. She said she doesn't mind just doing stray hairs, but when you get into designs (designs? DESIGNS?) and "the sphinx," (yes, I had to ask her what that meant) she's not too great.

She then told me that when she and her partner were starting their salon, they had two girls come in and ask for a bikini wax. Since the partners had never done one, they asked the girls if they would mind being practice models and they'd only be charged half price. So the partners started in and after a few minutes realized they made a big mistake. They forgot to trim the hair before putting on the wax so they had this gooey mess of hair and wax. It took them an hour to get all the hair and wax off. My waxer said she and her partner felt like Lucy and Ethel in a bad episode of I Love Lucy! :lol:

Frankly, it's all too much for me! :o

ekka
06-10-2005, 08:44 PM
lol.

Well, I know what ya'll were doing last night. Great thread!

Jen
06-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Howie and GW - it can take up to a year for you to be sterile. Fred from OneFatMan had it done recently and that's what he said on his site if I am remembering correctly. So don't toss the birth control just yet!!!

Okay I have to ask this question...when you go for a bikini wax what exactly do you wear? An actual bikini bottom, underwear or your bare bum?

artist
06-12-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm with Sheila.....have never taken a razor/wax/hair remover to that part of my anatomy......now, of course, I'm a-cursing you all, because I am starting to think about it......well, there are plenty of handy tips on here to help me make a good job of it.....question is, what kind of job? I'm quite grabbed by the heart idea.....

Jillegal
06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Well Claire, in my case (not being exactly artistic or agile) the heart idea was a dismal failure. How do I know? After I "presented" myself to my bf he exclaimed "For heaven's sake! It looks like a pine cone!" No, it wasn't the most romantic of Valentine Days... :(

howie6267
06-12-2005, 01:18 PM
LOL Jill. He was just pining away for you. LOL

Yes we no about not being sterile for a while. That poor man though if it took him a year he must have a lousy sex life. They say it takes 10 to 30 times to get rid of the swimmers as my doctor called them. He said to bring in a sample in about 2 months. Now theres a fun job for a doctor.

kykaree
06-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Oh Howie, it's one thing to foist yourselves upon a female oriented conversation, but to leave a pun like that on it.....shame on you!!!!

My hubby had the snip twenty years ago, and he and his then wife were careful for two months, no accidents. Now he wants it reversed!!!!!! Men!!!!!!

Jillegal
06-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Yes, Howie, shame on you! And fir your information, I was just trying to spruce myself up, so stop needling me! :devil:

Gardenwife
06-13-2005, 12:36 AM
LMAO at that, Jill. That's WAY worse than Howie's puny pun.

howie6267
06-13-2005, 12:39 AM
LOL I was just wondering do you add lights at christmas?

lessofsarahtolove
06-13-2005, 01:34 AM
LOL I was just wondering do you add lights at christmas?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SuchAPrettyFace
06-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Okay I have to ask this question...when you go for a bikini wax what exactly do you wear? An actual bikini bottom, underwear or your bare bum?They have little paper panties for you to wear, but if you're getting a Brazilian (cue ball), then sometimes the waxer will smirk & ask you to take them off once she can't work around them anymore. Wear ratty ones of your own there, though, just in case they don't have the paper ones.

Well Claire, in my case (not being exactly artistic or agile) the heart idea was a dismal failure. How do I know? After I "presented" myself to my bf he exclaimed "For heaven's sake! It looks like a Pine Cone!" No, it wasn't the most romantic of Valentine Days... :(Someone has a new nickname!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gardenwife
06-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Oh, yeah, like I'd want a technician to think those ratty drawers represent my typical day's underwear fare!

SuchAPrettyFace
06-13-2005, 02:49 AM
No, she will drip wax on them!!!!! :eek:

kykaree
06-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Wear your pretty silky ones over the top of your "practical ones" and then take them off, but let the techinician see them first, so she knows that you're really a classy dame and not someone who wears once-were-white-now-are-grey undies (not that I own any of them no siree, expensive and silky all the way - - - pah!!!)

Jillegal
06-13-2005, 12:02 PM
All I'll say about the "lights" inquiry is that I particularly enjoy it when G turns me on! :p

Aimee, if you ever call me that I'll have a choice new nickname for you! :s:

barbygirl43
06-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Jill too funny.

I let Jeff finish the trimming. Not romantic at all. He nicked me three times and swore he would never go near there again with a razor and that I should leave it to the "professionals."

I found that the gold bond powder worked best for the itching if you don't mind the brief tingling.

Betani
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
Good grief, you people are going to get me in trouble! It's all I can do to keep from falling out of my chair laughing at work!

I've tried home waxing kits, which my skin does NOT like. If the bandages on my legs are any indication, I'm not the best hand with a razor, so that's out. I bought one of those little mini trimmers, but it doesn't get close enough. Good enough for my ankles, but nothing sensitive. Professional wax is out of my budget, so that leaves that hair removal cream.

I tried a different kind last night (can't remember the name of it at the moment), and so far, no ill effects. Worked pretty fast, too. With all the acrobatics it took to keep my thighs and tummy from rubbing up against the applied area, I'm bushed!

Br00klyn
06-14-2005, 01:38 AM
:rofl: :rofl: And, THIS is what I've been missing?! Did I ever pick a great time to jump back in?! ;)

I'm loving this forum... I've spent the last 5 mins reading through it and have been howling!

As for me, I'm in a dilemma of what to do and have got some new ideas. I used to always shave down there but I've always found the "re-growth" period SOOOO painful and itchy that over the last little while, I've just neglected it and didn't know what to do.

I think I will try the electric razor, sounds like there's been success with those..Any other tips to avoid the "itch"?

Oh, and just had to hear a funny story... My best gf tried waxing with hot wax down there for the 1st time about a year ago... anyways, she ended up making it too hot.. and I get a phone call from her frantic that she's burnt her "_____" She was laughing about it at the time, that's why its okay now.. Anyways, I ended up having to drive her to the clinic, and she had to use cream and ice for blistering. So, now I'm sure you can understand why I'm a little hesitant with the waxing... AND, I just can't imagine the pain. Although, I'm sure the few mins. of pain is worth it for the "maintenance-free" lifestyle down there for awhile.

Gardenwife
06-14-2005, 01:43 AM
I thought my little 2nd-degree coffee burn on my forearm was painful. I can't imagine getting a wax burn there. Oh, my! Sure couldn't spritz with Bactine!

SuchAPrettyFace
06-14-2005, 03:05 AM
I think I will try the electric razor, sounds like there's been success with those..Any other tips to avoid the "itch"?

Welcome back!

You can use the Coochy shave lotion I posted about to keep the new growth soft.

Jillegal
06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Celina, my luv, I'd been wondering where you'd gone - glad to see you back - NOW STAY! :s: By the way, your new avatar pic is lovely! Oh and have you talked to Raelynn lately? Isn't her wedding on the 25th? We must get hold of her and suggest a "heart shaping" for the wedding night! :devil:

Sandi
06-14-2005, 02:04 PM
I found some templates for you guys!!!! :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/kahuna23/shavingshapes.jpg

Betani
06-14-2005, 02:06 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jillegal
06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
:rofl: O.M.G., Sandi! :lol3: Now you just have to find a Monster Garage one for Howie!

BarbaraAnn
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: OMG!!!!, Sandi! I actually snorted! :o

jillybean720
06-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm particularly fond of the downward-pointing arrow ;) :o

Sandi
06-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Jill - That down arrow actually had a saying to go with it that I had to delete!! ;)

howie6267
06-14-2005, 03:42 PM
That's great Sandi but beleive me I'm never shaving down there again. Some things are never meant to have a razor close to them and I've seen enough for a lifetime this last week.

marbleflys
06-14-2005, 04:19 PM
my asst. just came into my office to see if I was choking........

Here's another thing NOT to do....never use VEET and leave it on too long when you are on the phone.....it BURNS.... :fr: then don't be dumb enough to wear pantyhose the next day......

I went running down the hall to Plastic Surgery offices :o (I work in a large med. facility), and told one of the nurses what pain I was experiencing.....she went to urology, got a specimen cup and we went to same day surgery area to pilfer the prescription burn cream and get gauze bandages applied in the ladie's room with a plastic butter knife...(bandages got held up by my pantyhose). :sp:

Now I use Sally Hansen *cold-wax* strips and have a big glass of wine first.

I still shudder everytime I see a tube of VEET...... :fr:

artist
06-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Hmmmmmm. Thanks for those 'templates' Sandi... ;) ;) ...I am going away with dear bf for a very romantic Caribbean holiday in September... :dizzy: :dizzy: ...am just figuring out which one to choose for the perfect surprise..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SuchAPrettyFace
06-15-2005, 02:04 AM
At first I thought Sandi's signature was a part of the patterns. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Amanda Panda
06-15-2005, 04:52 PM
:lol: :rofl: :lol3: :lol: :rofl: :lol3:

Love Amanda x

djs06
06-16-2005, 01:51 AM
OMG SANDI, that is AMAZING! :rofl:

and has anyone tried that venus vibrance razor? seems to me it's a hidden excuse for something else... snort snort giggle

Gardenwife
06-16-2005, 02:08 AM
I've wondered the same thing!

Seriously, though, what is your favorite razor? Do you you prefer disposabl razors, or those with replaceabl cartridges? Which stay sharp the longest (assuming we're talking mainly leg shaving here, LOL).

kykaree
06-16-2005, 02:42 AM
I do like the replaceable cartridge ones for sharpness, but I do find the thingamys on the end that the razory bit clicks into go rusty quite quickly and you have to replace the base thingy anyway, which annoys me. I find I get a better shave and no cuts. I am quite lucky in that I get very light growth of hair on my legs so I don't have to shave often, and besides, no sees me pegs much anyway!!!!

taekwondomom
06-16-2005, 02:59 AM
My favorite razor is the Schick Intuition. Triple blade razor and "skin conditioning solid" all-in-one. Makes shaving in the shower super easy and quick because you don't need shave gel, soap, ect.!
Love it-only problem is the replacement cartidges are $13 for 6, but it is worth it for me. I can usually shave legs and under arms twice with each cartrige so it averages out to a little over $1 per shave.

jillybean720
06-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Twice per cartridge?! oi vei-I'd go broke! I use the same razor (I have a Venus with the replaceable cartridges) for at least a month at a time. I use a moisturizing shaving gel, and I very very rarely get any nicks (unless it's the first time with a new blade). Like I said, I only shave once a week, so for me, the shave gel isn't too time-consuming. I also like the Venus because of the pitoving head, which disposables don't tend to have. This makes it easier to shave my knees, ankles, armpits, and *down there.* :)

synger
06-16-2005, 10:24 AM
I have been enjoying reading this thread, and have finally decided to take the plunge.

As to the OP's question -- now I usually just trim with scissors by feel when I get a bit... overgrown. I don't worry about anything showing around my bathing suit. It someone is looking that closely, they can deal with what they see. Hair is normal. When I was younger I had a BF who wanted me shaved, so I agreed, as long as he did it. So once a week we'd get out the towels and warm water and he'd lay me back on the bed and go to it. As long as he did it every week, the itch wasn't too bad. But I agree that once you stop shaving it, the itching is MIND-NUMBING. Powder definitely helps. And don't wear silk panties during the first bit of the growing-out. My short, wiry hair tore my silk panties up.

As to legs and underarms -- I have very fine, fair body hair, and a tendency toward breakouts of psoriasis, so I don't shave my legs very often. I have tried a lot of "women's razors" and always end up using a man's instead. I use the Mach 3. Then we got that Intuition razor free in the mail -- with the solid around the razor head. I figured it was free, might as well give it a try. Wow! It was SO easy to use, and so nice to be able to do it in the shower and not have to use separate gel and get my hands all slippery and.. well, needless to say, I think I've finally foudn a woman's razor that I can deal with. I might even start shaving more frequently, since it's not such a big production.

Betani
06-16-2005, 10:56 AM
When I started using the Intuition, I never went back. I love not having to use gel! Plus, I think I nick myself less with it than any others. I use the one for sensitive skin, but I think I'd like to try that new cucumber one.

BethC
06-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I use the Inituition too! Not for the Bikini, but for everything else. My company used to make it, then we sold off that part of the business. Once I tried it, I bought one for every female that I knew. :lol:

imsexydamnit
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
I like this thread. Hmm, when i shave the bikini area it's all gotta go. I just use a lady daisy and shaving gel. As far as reaching hard to reach place, i usually shave while taking a bath, being in a prone posistion makes things alot easier to reach. I'll do maintenance in the shower, but for the whole deal, it's definitely the bath. I've found that bikini zone works pretty well for any razor bumps and there's not much problem with itching so long as i keep up. Well, that's me.
Christine

barbygirl43
06-16-2005, 01:03 PM
I've been using nair to take care of the shaving legs portion. So much easier to do. I have a gillette mach 3 razor I've been using since they came out. Jeff has one of the nitro or whatever that has the vibration in it. I just don't like the women's equivilant of the razors they come out with--too big and bulky.

SwimGirl
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
OMG Sandi, thats is literally the most funny things I've seen lately! No.. I'm not going to print that out... honest ;)

My bf tends to get razors for christmas, and since he has an electric razor that he always uses, I steal all of his and use them. I also use the shaving gel he gets for christmas. When I went to Seattle in the fall I bought my OWN shave gel as it was only 1.19!! Here the same stuff is 5.99, completely insane. I do prefer the venus shaver with replaceable razors, however it comes down to price again. I just can't cough up 10 bucks for 4 replacements!

-Aimee

Jennifer 3FC
06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
With all the acrobatics it took to keep my thighs and tummy from rubbing up against the applied area, I'm bushed!

Is that another pun? :lol:

Goddess Jessica
06-16-2005, 06:47 PM
I thought the same thing Suzanne.

I use Gillette's Venus (which is te same as the Mach 3 - in fact when I run out of my own razors, I just steal the Cute Boyfriends). Man, couldn't they just dip me in wax up to my waist and rip it all out.

I used to work for a Laser Hair Removal clinic. In case you want to know, yes it hurts like ****. Yes, it's supposedly permanent but only after many, many treatment and if you're on hormones, they'll void the "permanent" part. It only works on dark hair and light skin (at least the model we used). I had three treatments on my arm pits and my chin and I still have a ton of hair. Although less on my left armpit than my right... weird.

DaisyMaisy
06-18-2005, 09:28 AM
When I shave my legs I use disposible razors in the shower. No gel etc. If I do - I nick my legs all up, if I just keep the legs wet I am fine.

Still haven't tried the bikini area - I am fighting a case of heat rash. My dr. told me to use the stuff for athletes foot but I didn't start early enough to use as a prevention tool but it does clear it up pretty fast. DM

Jillegal
06-18-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm not the best hand with a razor, so that's out...With all the acrobatics it took to keep my thighs and tummy from rubbing up against the applied area, I'm bushed!

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who thought that comment was very punny. Seeing as you're not very good with the razor, I'll presume you've suffered from razor burn and I know there's nothing worse than a burning bush. :p

Gardenwife
06-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey as long as no voices come out of it, you're okay (Old Testament joke there, LOL).

lessofsarahtolove
06-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Ha! Kimberley!

Jenaya
06-19-2005, 01:45 AM
Oh goodness. I have read this thread and giggled at least five pounds off. My husband came to see what I was giggling about. He asked if I was on a joke list and I said "No, I am just reading about shaving my vaginal area with very sound advice from the three fat chicks site". Poor darling man - his eyes widened, his mouth dropped open and not a word fell out - he just turned and left the room. I'm still howling. What a great thread.

I waxed my chin a couple of weeks ago - decided that those few PCOS hairs had to go. Well - it was late at night. The carton said to start this activity when there was NO INTERRUPTIONS. Okay, the only time I have that is when the kids are asleep so this put me at 11:30 pm. I stumbled to the microwave, heated up the wax and applied. A little too warm but I can cope. Applied the strips and rrrippp. Hmmm - doesn't seem to work. I better apply a couple more applications. Rip, Rip, Rip . The next morning, I awoke to a face that looked like it had been dragged down pavement. So, bikini waxing - not really an option. I can't imagine traumatizing my precious petal petunia in that way!

Ah, Jill - I am too late in reading this thread. I see you already have a little nick name here...giggling outloud now!

Jenaya

Have a good one.