South Beach Diet - And ode to the Ladies Bathroom Scale

jenne1017
06-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Yes, I am addicted.

I weigh in every morning. Unless I somehow, miracle upon miracles, forget and eat first. I get disappointed and come up with possible explainations --whether the number goes up or down, I try to rationalize with it.

I am a scale 'ho.

I weigh in at work.

There is a tiny scale in the corner of the ladies' bathroom on our floor. Where it came from (other than the 1920's), I will never know.

But while I know that the scale at work, like at the doctor's office, is off and not a true read, can't I love it for just a moment???

:lol:

I got on it all last week -- almost every time I went in to pee (which is a lot now that I am drinking water) and when there were no other ladies in the room ( :o ). And each time it put me at 199 or so -- a fairly accurate read after eating breakfast/lunch with all my clothes on...

But just now??? After breakfast AND lunch??? With all my clothes and shoes on?

194!!!!

Oh how I love thee, Ladies Bathroom Scale. Even if only until tomorrow afternoon...

;)

mama.dragon
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Jenn, you really are strange. I guess I've come the the right beach. Congrats on the loss.

Lydia

beachgal
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Jenn! :D I can totally relate. Sometimes, when the 'karma' feels right, I try weighing in on the scale at the gym. I know it's not an accurate reading, but sometimes it surprises me and I feel 'super skinny' for the rest of the day. ;)

xJennJennx
06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
LOL Jenn, I'm a lot like you....I get on the scale at least 2 times daily, my DH says he's gonna toss it out the back door, lol since what the scale says sets my mood for the day. Don't ya just love it when it gives you a smaller number!

ellis
06-06-2005, 09:23 PM
I only weigh once every morning, but I have a special way of leaning to one side while I'm standing on it. It takes practice.

twiceblessedmom
06-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Ellis!! :rofl:

Wellllll, I started off I was only going to weigh in once a week...but now my 'official' weigh in is once a week and I have a daily weigh, :lol: ...I also weigh first thing in the morning.

jenne1017
06-06-2005, 11:36 PM
If I lean forward on my home scale...I can BEAT the digital!!!!!

Now, the challenge: beat the 20's scale!

nweisha
06-07-2005, 05:45 AM
I am a scale 'ho.

:rofl:

I have the SAME ISSUE! Recently I have been trying to break the habit, but it's hard! At one point I would weigh myself before & after going poo just to see the difference! IT'S A SICKNESS, I KNOW :o

jenne1017
06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Ok -- so I am weird. Never said I wasn't and never tried to allude you to believe anything else ;)

Going to weigh now...I pray for 195!!!!

ellis
06-07-2005, 09:48 AM
I pray for 195!!!!
You and me both, baby.

beachgal
06-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Jenn...what'd you get? <waiting with baited breath>

I lean back on my heels, but that means I have to squint to see the dial. ;)

jenne1017
06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
195.8 - which I will gladly take :)

losing .4 oz. a day ain't half bad :) I just kind of wish I hadn't done the pre-SB diet before I started!! I wanted my Phase 1 to show more of a loss. I can't figure it out, other than eating breakfast and lunch SB friendly (and up in the air for dinner) and drinking lots of water the week before Phase 1, why I haven't lost that much.

I mean, in 3 weeks it's been 9 lbs, but only 3 since starting P1 for real...

jen4806
06-07-2005, 11:26 AM
I tend to weigh in everyday too. I have a chart I made hung up above the scale in the bathroom. The only days I don't weigh in are the days I wake up too late (which is actually pretty often). I notice the .2 of a pound too. I round down though. If one day the scale says I weigh 185.2, and the next day it says 184.8, I count that as 1 pound lost, lol, at 184 on my chart. I got to 184.0 the other day, and I have not weighed since. I know it's not there right now because I have had my TOM this past week. I am going to wait a few days to not suffer from Scale Shock.

Islander
06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I weigh in every morning. ;) I can't wait a week...too afraid I'll gain more weight. Congrats on your weight loss!! :high:

Ruthxxx
06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
I weigh every morning and have been known to weigh before and after a poo. It should go down afterwards but never does. :(

I have discovered that I weigh less if I rest my boobs on the towel rack just over the scale. :rofl:

jenne1017
06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Ruth, I ask HB to hold them for me so I can take that weight off. BOY WOULD I LOSE!!!

(ps. I poo and pee in the AM, THEN weigh. only I do weigh less after :lol: )

LesnarsTXF5Diva
06-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Jenne1017, I do the same thing. I don't weigh all day, just in the mornings and it's always after I pee because when I first stand up out of bed, it's like all that water in my body just hauls it to my kidneys. *LOL*

jen4806
06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
You all CRACK ME UP!!! I ONLY weigh in the morning, and it has to be right after I pee, before I shower or take a drink of water or anything. If it is higher than the day before, I say its just water weight and try to avoid the salt. I block those days out of my mind, but I try not to be crabby. I can really really feel my belly shrinking. FH is always touching my belly now. It's flattening out! Most of my weight is in my boobs too. If I rested my boobs on the towell rack, I bet it would show 20lbs less at least! (I'm a 38DDDD but they're going down!) I am going to try that tomorrow. I'll let you all know! ROFL!!!

Hotmom
06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
So, may I am not as sick as I thought I was. I weigh every chance I get if I do not stop myself. I am on day 5 of p1 lost 3lbs so far this time. I too have noticed belly fat gone! I think that is the first place I lose on SB. I want to keep losing dose anyone have advice about p2. To tell you the truth it scares me to leave p1! :dunno:

Thanks for any ideas!

Hotmom

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-day/slider-but5/lb/176/145/167/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

sweet tooth
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Confession of a Scal Ho...

OK, I wiegh every time I go into the bathroom at home...actually I weigh at least three or four times every time I go into the bathroom. That's a minumum of 20 - 30 times per day (at home). Then there is the scale in the nurse's office at work...that would be at least once per day. And, of course there is the scale in the weight room at work. That weigh-in occurs every time I walk by the weight room, which is often. Soooooo, I am well weighed.

I have convinced myself that I weigh so often to make sure that I monitor my weight. Works for me. :lol:

beachgal
06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Peggy, you are way too much fun! :)

Tammy70
06-07-2005, 06:18 PM
I weigh every morning, but after I shower (to get any funk off) and after I dry my hair (water weights you down)!!! But the bad part is that it does dictate how your day will go. This morning it showed I gained 2 pounds--- that's 2 pounds!!!!--- All day long I have been a bear.
I am so glad I came here, I'm among my people who understand!!!!!!

beachgal
06-07-2005, 06:57 PM
I have discovered that I weigh less if I rest my boobs on the towel rack just over the scale. :rofl:

:lol3: Ruth, I just love you, girl! :grouphug: I need to try that sometime... :s: These suckers have to weigh at least 5 pounds... :devil:

38DDDD? A friend of mine was upset to hear that I never got up to an F. I didn't even know F existed. :eek: I was a 40DDD before I started SBD. I didn't know there was a DDDD...do you have to special order your bras? :?: I agree...these suckers do weigh quite a bit... but they will get much smaller. I'm a 36 D now. :D

I do work really hard not to let the higher numbers hurt me. I use them as inspiration to stay on plan. When I want to cheat, I think about how much I want to see the numbers go down the next day. But I am also honest with myself. If the numbers go up and I know I was messing around the day before, I use it as a good reason not to mess around again. You know? :)

ellis
06-07-2005, 07:01 PM
huh! :snooty: I guess MINE only weigh about six ounces, Laurie! :snooty:
:lol3:

beachgal
06-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Ellis, I wish! My dream would be to be a 32 A. :cloud9:

ellis
06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
I am a perfect 32AA when I'm slim. Practically not there. :rofl:

Bamiegurl
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Laurie...I was watching Oprah the day she did the your wearing the wrong bra size show and one lady needed a G! Yes a G! She didn't look that big either. Ain't no tellin how far up the alphabet they go! lol

Ilene
06-07-2005, 09:13 PM
:lol3: I'm crying from laughing so much reading all these weigh-in rituals, but Ruth's gotta be the winning one :queen: ..... I would've never thought of putting my boobs on a towel rack, but then again I'm a 38 inbetween an A and a B ... You girls are too funny ...

jenne1017
06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Hey Now !

I was an H at one point. Now I squish 'em into a 38DDD.

My cup runeth over!

Pickle Chick
06-07-2005, 11:23 PM
LOL at the boobs on the towel rack!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that weighs in at least once if not more each day. I'm also glad I'm not the only before/after weigh-in person around. I thought I was the only one in the world who would do that!

Barb0522
06-08-2005, 10:40 AM
You gals are so funny. Okay, I have to admit I weight first thing in the morning after I pee and then again after I shower and dry off and potty again. I count whichever is lower as my official weight.

As for my bra size, I used to be a 42DDD and am very glad to say that I am now a 36C. It is great especially for exercising. They only downside was having to buy so many new bras! EXPENSIVE!

jenne1017
06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I am loving my self AND my home scale this AM!!!

194.6! A new record!

I should run into the ladies room and read what IT says!!! :lol:

jenne1017
06-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey Barb -- I hear you on the expensive deal. When I bought 4 new 38DDD bras I was overjoyed. macy's usually has a buy one get one so I did ;)

It's time to get new ones though -- as I buy lower cut shirts because I can now ;) I need lower cut bras. They NEVER carry 38DDD in Lane Bryant although I like their cuts and since I have their shirts (although 14/16 is getting big in the shoulder area), you'd think they would carry bigger bras. But they start at 40DDD :(

LOVE2C135
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh my gosh you guys are too funny! I am a WAY compulsive weigher. However, after no loss this week, I decided to pout at the scale and not weigh this morning. It's killing me! I know when I get home I'll weight everytime I go into the bathroom, which puts me at close to 10 times a day!

On the boob front, my should give me a NEGATIVE read! If only I could take part of my butt and put it in my bra...

beachgal
06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Ain't no tellin how far up the alphabet they go! lol

:lol3: :rofl: Bamie, you kill me!!!

I'm so jealous of all your A/B ladies. I would love boobs small enough that I could go without a bra from time to time, and that wouldn't hurt my shoulders and back. I'm all about boob reduction surgery, but I want to breastfeed, so I have to wait until after we have kids. Of course, it'll be nice to be able to have someone put them back up where they belong after all that, too! ;)

jenne1017
06-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I found a picture of me both at my heaviest and in this very dress 6+ years ago.

Now, if I can only find a flattering one of me now ;) Maybe when I get home I will ask HB to snap a shot before we go to the gym...

jen4806
06-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Wow! Way to go Jenn!

beachgal
06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Jenn, you look so young in the dress pic...wow! The one of you at your heaviest just doesn't look like you! I can't believe how much you have lost...and how far you have come. YGG!!!

And BTW, meaning no disrespect, and as one 'well-endowed' woman to another, I can see why you put the girls on the towel rack! ;)

jenne1017
06-08-2005, 03:08 PM
:lol3: Laurie you slay me!

I actually did ask HB to hold them last night and well, it was 10 lbs gone BUT she was like, "Hon, no offense but they weigh more." :lol:

Part of the reason I hate to exercise is because they bounce too much and I am afraid I will knock either myself or better yet, someone else around me out :stars:

twiceblessedmom
06-08-2005, 05:14 PM

Jenn, you look great girl, that pic in the dress is beautiful...you're doing an excellent job!

beachgal
06-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Part of the reason I hate to exercise is because they bounce too much and I am afraid I will knock either myself or better yet, someone else around me out :stars:

:lol3: Jenn, I SO know the feeling! :rolleyes: I haven't found a great sports bra yet. Some are better than others though. :dunno: I keep looking.

I'm with you. Mine have gotten much smaller, but they still weigh at at least 10 pounds if not more. HB was so nice to hold them for you. ;) I tried flopping mine on the scale by themselves once...but it didn't work. :lol:

Sadiepies
06-09-2005, 02:28 PM
I do it too!!! :lol: I weigh everytime I go to the bathroom, and that's a lot! I even weigh at work sometimes too and my kids (students) tell me "You're too obsessed with your weight. You need to gain some!" :listen: What, I didn't quite hear ya', say that again??? :lol: I love it when people say that! That just means I'm doing well in my opinion! :spin: I even add about 2lbs everytime I weigh with clothes on to make it "right." I think my students are right...I am obsessed! :lol:

jenne1017
06-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Hmmm, that makes me think about body image and kids.

Do you weigh in front of your students?

Sadiepies
06-09-2005, 11:22 PM
There is a scale in a part of the room that is enclosed and considered a "teacher's work area." I don't have a regular classroom of kids like what you are probably thinking. I work in an alternative school and I am the one that interviews them, tests their skills, and transitions them into the school. I become "friends" with a lot of them and I'm there to talk whenever they need me. So, they know I'm on the diet because they know that I can't have certain foods and stuff like that from when we eat breakfast and lunch together. ;)

BellyDancer
06-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Laurie, Jenn, and other larger-breasted women--have you tried the catalog Title Nine for sports bras? They are a great, women-owned & run company; their sports bras are a little pricey but they have the best size selection I have ever seen, up to 44DDD.

Here's a link to their bigger-busted bras page. Check out the "Last Resort" bra and the "Frog" bra.

http://www.title9sports.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=479

jenne1017
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

I am afraid that without underwire, being smooshed won't work at holding my girls down

akihega
06-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I hate my scale! I think it's stuck on 205! Every morning, I get dressed in the downstairs bathroom, just so I can weigh. You would think that wet hair after a shower would weigh a lot, but with my hair dry, it's still the same!

DD and I weight at the gym, but I rationlize no loss as just being extra sweaty.

I'm obsessed. I'm afraid to get a real scale, because how do you rationalize standing on the same scale, everyday, at the same time, completely naked and it not changing!

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Speaking of bathrooms -- I was going to start a new post but my curious mind wants to know...

When you go into a public restroom, is there any stall that you prefer to go in?

Like, I've heard not many pick the first stall, so I go in there thinking it's less used. When I was at my heaviest, I would use the handicap (or biggest) stall because I needed the room to move around in. I try to avoid the middle thinking it's the dirtiest and more people use it.

Am I just crazy that I think about these things???

Barb0522
06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Okay, Jenn, now that is a weird topic but I'll admit I pick the first stall at work. But I think I do it just because it is closest to the door. I've never really thought about it.

jen4806
06-14-2005, 11:37 AM
LOL!!! At work, I pick the 2nd stall for #1, because it doesn't automatically flush every time you move, and for #2, I go in the the very last stall if I can't wait till I get home, ROFL!!!! This would be a very interesting survey...

mamaeli
06-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Belly Dancer--thanks for the post about bras. Just today, like an hour ago, I was complaining about no good sprots bras and how no one with big boobs must actually wear them. I'm a 42DD, and let me tell you, jogging in place or real jogging HURT. I can see myself in the mirror at the gym and it's like something from a slow motion scene in some movie, right before the main character goes, "ahhhhhh!"..........
Anyway, good post. I only jump on the scale in the mornings, preferable wearing only a nightgown or undies. After the shower, wet hair (should try drying it, may get better results) , before any coffee, but with teeth brushed. That is the only wiegh in that counts. If I do get on in the afternoon or evening, or after working out, it's all water weight. It will go up at least 2 lbs during the day, if not 5! So, none of those count. I only do it to say, "I don't really weigh that much."

beachgal
06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
:lol: Jenn! Great topic...I read somewhere, too, that the first stall is the cleanest, so that's the one I like to use. :dunno:

mamaeli
06-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Bit the bullet and got the "Last Resort" bra from Title 9. Kinda expensive, and I've been fighting that......but these babies were/are hurting. Just a warning, though, for the rest of the site, their large is a 12/14. :(

soon2Bfab
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Jenn & Lauri...dom't you guys ever watch 20/20? They did a show & the first stall is always the cleanest.....I think we have all heard this & perhaps now it's not the cleanist? Oh NO!

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Mam -- let me know if it works. If so, next month sports bras it is!!!! :)

jenne1017
06-14-2005, 01:44 PM
:lol: soon2b

I'm weird that way. I would also ask Coke or Pepsi -- but don't want to have to go defending my choice, lol

sweet tooth
06-14-2005, 03:48 PM
On picking a bathroom stall...

I read a study a couple of years ago where there was testing done on the germs and bacteria, etc. in different stalls. As you suspect, the first stall is usually avoided and came out on the study as consistently cleaner than any others.

I can't remember where I read it, but may have been a Reader's Digest article.

ellis
06-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Okay, so now that everyone knows the first stall is the cleanest, any bets that the first stall is no longer the cleanest? :lol3: