Weight and Resistance Training - LWL # 206 June 6 - 12

View Full Version : LWL # 206 June 6 - 12

Mel
06-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Good Monday Morning, LWL!
Halleluljah, I go back to lifting today :D There's definitely an endorphin connection that I was missing last week. Cardio doesn't do it for me. I was mentally off, food was off since Thursday...I sure hope that's the reason :dizzy:

It's finally summer here. It went from cool and rainy to stinking hot in one day. I spent yesterday wilting, washed my car, discovered that my favorite used book store had finially gone out of business, hacked at the jungle landscaping for a while, and dreading 4 more months of steamy weather.

Back to my old split today :strong: If it's Monday, it must be chest day :)

Mel

tikanique
06-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Ha Mel, you beat Ilene!!! Glad you are back on with the lifting. Don't hurt anybody slinging all that iron around the gym. As for weather, I LOVE steamy, stinking hot! It was 93 degrees here yesterday and I was in HEAVEN!

Got up this morning at 5:30 and spent so much time trying decide WHAT to do for cardio, it got to be too late to get in a good hour so I cleaned my house instead. Mopped, did 2 loads of laundry, got everything in order. This evening when I get home from cheer practice, I can go straight into working out. I grilled enough food yesterday so the crew can feed themselves. I'm thinking its gonna be a Billy Blanks day.

Tiki

ellenuw
06-06-2005, 09:15 AM
'Morning. Ilene - good luck with your Dad. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Glad you are lifitng again, Mel. Tiki, you and Billy seem to have something serious going on - are you to exclusive yet? :D

I did my run this morning, now off to do the Costco shopping with a stop by the running store. Now that it has gotten hot my feet are ready for some body glide. The shoes I was wearing yesterday must have rubbed the wrong way and I was feeling it today. Then an appoinment with the derm and a weight session this afternoon. Whew. Laundry will wait until Wed as tomorrow is just as packed. Have a great day.

Ilene
06-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Yep, Mel beat me to it this morning :coffee:

Went to the gym did legs but I was weak for some reason and my right knee was bothering me so I didn'T do as much as I wanted but I had a decent workout just the same...

I may bike later right now I'm going to water the flowers, it's HOT here... Love :love: it!!

TTFN :wave:

WaterRat
06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Morning LWL :) I think I'm back in the land of the living. I've been without cough meds all weekend, and am a much lower dose of decongestant. At last!! I have my gym stuff in the car and am planning on a legs session tonight. I'll do a little cardio too, working myself back up to a reasonable amount.

We had a very atypical weather weekend. Both days started out sunny and warm - we ate breakfast and lunch on the deck - then some huge thunderclouds built up and we had rain both afternoons. Yesterday's was an immense storm!! Lots of lightening and loud thunderclaps (even startled the sleeping cats :lol: ). The rain came down in sheets for over an hour. We had standing puddles of several inches on the lawn. Wow! I've lived most of my adult life in river valleys, and experienced this weather pattern on the east coast, but seldom in Alaska. Must be global warming, eh? :)

Sending good thoughts to your Dad, Illene. And yes, keep up the workouts and taking care of you - it's all that kept me sane when DH was going through treatment.

Mel
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
It felt GREAT to lift again :D I think I lost a little strength, but not much. I didn't try bench pressing because I still feel some tendonitis in my elbow, but other wise did a complete chest workout. Then my last morning client talked me into taking the noon spin class with her :faint: This passed weekend the Wachovia USPRO Cycling Championship was held here in Philadelphia. It is supposedly the fastest pro race in the world, and features the "Manayunk Wall": a 17 per cent grade climb for 2 miles up and 1.5 miles down. Men ride the course TEN times and women ride it four. For the spin class, we emulated it ONCE. I was dripping. Here's a link to the course: http://www.wachoviacycling.com/course_map.cfm/race_id/6
Note the little box with the race "profile"; that's the vertical profile of the course. It's a good thing I've been doing those insane treadmill workouts because that spinning class would have had me on the floor a few weeks ago! :o

Mel

4rabbit
06-07-2005, 04:58 AM
Hi LWL,
I'm going throug a bit of a rough patch right now, so i am mostly lurking. I do try to keep in the cardio and lifting, but the food is definitely suffering.
From previous experience I'll just have to ride this out again, and hope that I will not slide as bad again.

I' m glad of the support of this group, just reading about what everyone is doing keeps me motivated to at least keep up the workouts.

Have a great day,
rabbit

ellenuw
06-07-2005, 06:22 AM
:grouphug: *hugs* for all ... Mel, glad you are getting back, but what a course to come back to, yikes ... Glad you are feeling better WaterRat, one day at a time and soon the decons will be gone, too ... Rabbit, I know you will ride this out and be back in full-force-mode soon. Know we are here for you ... Ilene, take care of yourself while taking care of your Dad, too ... and one more hug to anyone who needs it right now ...

tikanique
06-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi all, Mel, great job on the suicide course. Ilene, how's it going lady? Keep your head and your spirits up, okay?

I just gotta say I MISS JACK!!! Meg, when you talk to him, tell him I asked about him and am really missing him in this forum. He was so crazy when it came to discussing sports and since the WORLD CHAMPION DETROIT PISTONS are in the finals again there is MUCH to talk about. Everybody thought Shaq and the Heat were going, but our defense shut them down!! Whoo hoo!! I am one tired chickie today - game didn't end until right at 11 and I was back up and in the gym by 5AM, but it was worth it.

DETROIT BASKETBALL!!!! GO PISTONS!!!!

Okay, I'm thru - for now. :s:

Tiki

Sashenka
06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi,

When I read about your exercises, I feel like I am doing nothing... Well, let's see - biked to work yesterday and back home. Forgot to drink my protein shake before heading home - crawled last 1 km uphill like never before - so protein shakes do work! Will never forget it again. Also, did UBW yesterday at the gym, today stepped on the scale and it has mover UP 2 pounds!!! Go figure. I am blaming it on medication against asthma - I take more when I bike home and it seems to cause some weight gain.

Biked to work today - I finally got into timing plateu - I started with 1 hour 4 min to work and 1 hour 15 min home, now it is consistantly 49 min to work and 55-59 back home which is fine with me. Sometimes I made some challenges and did it in 46/52min but I was puffing so hard and could not sleep all night due to the asthma attack - so what I have now have to stick...

Tomorrow is tape day - I will probably do some power yoga and pilates. Walk the dog for an hour.

I scheduled swimming for Thursdays in summer - prepare for my first triathlon in August - will do 1 hour every Thursday during lunch - by boss signed up with me and goes with me to the swimming pool - which makes it all much easier...

Sandy.

tikanique
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
That's cool Sandy. I wish my boss would sign up for cheerleading with me so then he wouldn't be mad when I take off at 5 on the dot each day!

Tiki

ellenuw
06-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Today was a 40 min hill training run on the treadmill and a yoga session.

I am in a bad place and having problems shaking it. How many of you have been here and what did you do to get out of it?: Yesterday my trainer did my measurements - 1st time since Mar - lost inches but gained 1% body fat (caliper). Last measurement was in the morning and this one was in the afternoon. Does it make a difference? Man, what else am I supposed to be doing? I'm not saying I would do it, but I sure see how women go into eating disorders over crap like this. How do you move away from the numbers and concentrate on _____ - what goes in that blank? I am usually so good at shaking this stuff, but am having a really tough time of it. So much for all that inspiration I was giving out - sure hope no one catches this crappy mood (Sorry, I will be better tomorrow). Rats, rats and double rats. And compared to some of the things you ladies are going through, this makes me feel even smaller. I'm sorry

Ilene
06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Ellen and Sandy -- *snap* out of it girls!! WE including ME, all have those days and they are just ONE day in the 30 days before that we did so well on... So heads up everyone and, ''This too shall pass''... :soap:

Ok, I haven't gone to the gym yet today!! Not sure if I'll have time or energy either, we'll see!!

TTFN:wave:

Mel
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Ellen- It's the running. When I did a half marathon 2 1/2 years ago, my trainer (now my boss) was dismayed and kept telling me I'd lose muscle and gain fat. I told him he was crazy. How could I possibly get FATTER by running? Well, he was right. By the time I finally ran the ^&$# race, my body fat was up 2.5% even though my weight was down a few pounds. Your body adapts to the kind of training that you are doing, and right now you are not training for muscle mass. You may still be doing resistence training, and that helps, but long distance runs (or any other endurance sport) chews up muscle. You can't be all things at once. Don't worry about it, and go for what you enjoy. You are losing weight, you're healthier, and you enjoy running and meeting the goals you've been setting. Your body fat % isn't tatooed on your forehead.

My last food fall was over a body fat reading. I was basing my muscle mass on a reading taken 6 months ago when I was 12 pounds heavier. Dumb- of course I lost muscle, too. When I was re-calipered and the number was higher than I thought it was based on my calculations, I went into a 3 day tailspin. Why? Nothing change...the same clothes fit me (ok, not after those 3 days!), I was as "fit" after I knew the real number as when I was living in la-la-land, but it took me a while to get over it, too. It's the same as the scale. You know now not to get upset by daily fluctuations...what you are seeing is body composition fluctuation to to the training effect. Hang in there!

I went to the gym this morning intending to do shoulders and cardio, but found a lifting buddy about to do legs. She's crazier than I am (and a whole lot younger) so I couldn't pass up the chance to have a partner for a change :dizzy: Since I'm starting back from a week off, I figure it really didn't matter whether I did legs today or tomorrow. OMG, am I ever going to be sore :D

Ilene- I've looked all over and can't find the post where you talk about your Dad, but I figure he's sick. I hope all goes well.

Tik- Now that the 76'ers are OUT we don't get much BB news in Phila. Larry Brown is not on anyone's favorite list in this city.

Sandy-You are braver than I am for biking to work! I like my exercise where there's a "way out" :lol:

Pat- Welcome back to the land of the living!

Mel

ellenuw
06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Ilene and Mel - thank you both so much. I am feeling better already and will hopefully be back to myself tomorrow. I must admit I took a long hard look at the soft pretzels at the Baseball game tonight and almost caved. What stopped me was the realization that they would never taste as good as the ones from the street carts in downtown Philly and that is what a pretzel sohuld taste like. Gee Mel, do they still do that in Philly or are theirs frozen and tasteless, too?

I have a session with my trainer in the AM and Pilates in the afternoon tomorrow and I plan on going into both with my normal gusto. Sandy, I'll be thinking of you while I am there - we can get back on track together.

Tiki - if you want to talk about baseball, I am in - my Nats are in 1st place!!

4rabbit
06-08-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi LWL,
Crawling out of my bad patch here.
Ilene- good luck with your dad.
Ellenuw, Sandy- Keep it up, hang on in there, this also will pass and one bad day out of 30 is NOTHING !!! Much better than the 80% that pamela peeke says you should do !!
Tiki, Pat - you sound like yopu are still doing great !
We have a cool and rainy summer here sofar. Today I did 7 km run on the treadmill and I plan to keep this up for the rest of the week.

Have a great day,
rabbit

tikanique
06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi all,

Baseball doesn't enthuse me. The Tigers suck and Tennessee doesn't have a pro team. I wish they did because then I would follow it.

Ilene, hang tough girl!

Ellen and Sandy, are we back up to speed yet?

Rabbit good to see you out of the patch.

Morning Mel and e're body else.

So yesterday I had a good bad food day, or should I call it a bad good food day? I stayed under 1500 calories, I had the ratio of protein carb and fat close to correct BUT it was not the best choices. Instead of grilled chicken and fresh veggies, I had chicken, more chicken and then 3 South Beach Diet bar thingys. I knew when I bought them they were a bad idea. At least they are all gone now and I won't pick them up again. I got in a 50 minute bike ride this AM and I have NO Money so I won't be able to feed the carb cravings I know I'm gonna have due to yesterdays mini-binge. I also have my fav lunch - turkey chili and plenty of fresh veggies and fruit so hopefully the rest of the day will go well.

Tiki.

4rabbit
06-09-2005, 04:16 AM
Hi LWL,

Still slowly crawling out of the bad patch. food wise things are not yet back to OK, but at last I have not binged yesterday. Tiki, I know what you mean. I can go some time without a special food, then when I get one taste of it again, I know i am in for a week long struggle NOT to keep eating the stuff. And this NEVER happens with stuff like lettuce, only with chocolate, ice cream and the like.

Excercise for today: I did 6.4 km on the treadmill. Contemplating to lift again but I'll have to be care full because my elbow is again sore and last time this lasted for months.

Have a great day,
rabbit

Mel
06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
Rabbit- keep crawling, we're betting on YOU! No hole is so deep that you can't see daylight at the top :sunny:

Couple of real good days here. Today I have back, abs and cardio on tap. Clients sprinkled throughout the day. Just enough to really chop up the day so I have to spend most of it at the gym, but not really working all day :( I think summer is going to be like that. A couple of my "regulars" have shore houses and disappear for 2 months, and everyone has erratic schedules.

Tiki- I've had a box of bars in the house for months. Every once in a while, they get the better of me and I treat them like candy bars. I should just throw them out since I don't eat them as "food".

Ellen- Haven't had a soft pretzel in years, but they still SMELL good!

Have a good day, LWL!

Mel

ellenuw
06-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Good morning. Thanks for cheering me on. I have decided to give myself an "off" day today (but only for one day) exercise-wise. I am following the "rabbit" plan and crawling back. I figure it took me close to 6 weeks of "showing up" to get back from shingles. Maybe I can "show up" and be through this by next week. Amazingly, food has been good through all this. I know I feel like "junk" when I eat "junk" so have been very care ... she says eventhough her Fitday log shows a Nabisco 100-calorie pack last night. Hey, I was tired and needing a treat and these individual bags are a saviour for me. I know my triggers and am learning how to deal with them. I also have plans "out" for both lunch and dinner tonight, but I know that I am the one in control.

So, an "off day" - last night I sent DH to the baseball game without me and hit the pillows by 8:45. It was the right thing to do. I was not only emotionally exhausted, but also physically exhausted. I did too much in the last few days: Tues: 45 min hill run, 1 hr yoga, 35 min hard elliptical to work off stress and anger ('nuff said). Wed: 40 min elliptical hill program, 50 min training session, 45 min pilates class with 10 min of elliptical before. Boy, were my ankles killing me. I am feeling much better today. Tomorrow is back to an elliptical cardio day followed by pilates and a weight session. My trainer is switching up my sessions, too - moving faster and more sets of fewer exercises. He hopes that will help some of the body fat issues. One of the owners also said to make it a point to measure in the morning next time, and he would like to do it. Additionally, one of the other trainers who used to be a competitive body builder has offered to look at my food log (why I went back to Fitday PC). One thing is for sure, between 3FC and my gym I can't complain that no one is helping me :)

Oh, and let us not forget my 10K on Sat - how horrible would it be if I missed that! Yes, I am addicted and need to find a new hobby. What do you think of skateboarding? :lol:

Thank you all for being there.

ellenuw
06-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Ellen- Haven't had a soft pretzel in years, but they still SMELL good!

Probably a good thing I am no where near Philly or the shore. Those are more than a trigger for me - I bet they are the whole gun!

I started talking about them (OK moaning about them, with longing and passion) to my trainer who is from Philly, too. I think he hates me now :devil:

Sashenka
06-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Hi,

My yesterday was OK exercise wise but bad food wise. Did 30 min cardio on treadmill and about 20 min abs and push ups. Also did my agility with dog - was accessed by agility trainer as doing "fine" for puppy 18 month old - my hubby went with me for the first time and we watched pro dogs doing agility and he watched our puppy and said even though it is far cry from professional champs the hard work pays off and it is obvious that our dog will be ther eventually.

Foodwise I sucked majorily. My husband lost his job on Tuesday - they simply closed his project because CEO is leaving the company and doing "clean-up"... 55 people out of jobs with market for this field not so booming in the Western Canada. Hubby still reporting for some time as they just made an announcement that they do not know how long they will keep people. That means he is in search for job third time during this year... He also surprized me by making decision to move to greener pastures (like States?) - like now he wants to stay in the same field... Which means what? It upset me so much that I started to eat everything in site (thanks God it was not much left in the house but still I finished a package of cookies and baked one more tray of chocolate chip and made egg salad and ate half - you see the picture). I am still on the bad wave as I am not yet figured out what my reaction should be. Good thing I am going swimming today and bike to work tomorrow (probably in pouring rain but it does not matter).

Mel - about being brave biking - I noticed that I have more time to think and my thoughts are a bit sunnier when I bike (even when it rains) - seems like it fluches blood to the brain and stress is gone... I am sure I won't be able to use stationary bike for over 1 hour in the gym - it would be too boring.

Rabbit - good to get to good days, ehe?

Ellen - happy to hear about good days! Have a good run on Saturday...

tikanique
06-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Sashenka, I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby. I wish you both the best in the upcoming months. Now get out of the kitchen. If you put that weight back on it will only make you feel worse.

Soft pretzels, used to love them with cheese and mustard but they no longer appeal to me thank goodness. My machine gun is Pop Tarts. They arent allowed in the house anymore - PERIOD!!!

I finally broke down, had my binge, got it over with, feel like crap today but am not even remotely craving anything bad today. I know what started it - lack of sleep - and what pushed me over the edge - dumb EX - so hopefully I can avoid combining those two in the future. I didn't work out this AM - was due in for a chest workout and cardio. I can still get the cardio in tonite but don't have heavy enough weights at home to do the chest workout. I guess I will have to slide it into Saturday.

Tiki.

Ilene
06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Hmmmm interesting posts girls...

Sandy -- So, so, sorry to hear about your DH ... :grouphug: to you, hang in there and get out of the :censored: kitchen !! That :devil: food will only make you feel worse and you know it!!

Ellen -- I think you are the athlete of the year !! I'm tired just reading about your workouts... Between you and MeL :faint: I can't take it anymore :lol: Can I just read about the great workouts and burn calories :?: , please ;) ...

MeL -- My dad has prostate cancer and will be undergoing 38 radiation treatments for the next 7 weeks Monday to Friday ... So I'm going to be quite busy driving them back and for to the Cancer Centre which is 1 hour 15 mins away... It's going to be an interesting summer. I am not doing all the driving but most of it....

Tiki -- I'm like that too when I binge the next day I don't want to see any unhealthy food !!

Soft pretzels, I've only had one in my life and I wasn't impressed, thank gawd!!!!

I finally made it to the gym for a quicky workout this morning... I almost talked myself out of going but didn't *whew*... I only did 30 mins chest and triceps and 25 mins on the :tread:.... not long but it's all the time I had...

Hope everyone else is well, take care all TTFN :wave:

tikanique
06-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Ilene, so good to see you on here. That's a lot of driving, there. Hang tough and take advantage of ANY workout you get in.

Tiki

Mel
06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Sandy- I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job. What field is he in? The states aren't greener pastures for everything, unfortunately. We've been through the same situation several times in the last few years, too. And I have to admit, I ran straight to the kitchen quite a few times. It doesn't help :grouphug:

Ellen- A day off sounds like a really good idea. If your ankles are hurting, maybe you are overtraining. You need to be able to run on race day :D Has your weightloss slowed/stopped or just your body fat gone up? If a different person is doing your caliper readings, you won't get an any more accurate picture. What you need is consistency, not an absolute number. 1% is within the margin of error for the same person...1-3% is considered the error range when used by an experienced trainer.

Ilene- Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. My father is going through the same, except he's doing the very accelerated 8 day radiation right now. It's the second round for him. My thoughts are with both of you.

Tik- Good idea to keep lack of sleep and the dumb ex on different days ;)

Hi Rabbit! Pat, how are you? RavenToy?

Mel

4rabbit
06-10-2005, 05:31 AM
hi LWL,

Wow, what a posts yesterday!!!

Mel-thanks a lot for the encouragement. I'm crawling AND simultaneously hanging in here. I think I see some licght at the end of the hole.

Ellenuw - incredible workouts ! I can imagine that you were tired, you probabely just needed all that sleep. Please be carefull not to injure yourself with your ankles! And have a good run on saturday.

Sandy - What a bad news abour your husband loosing his job, especially as i remember you just moved house. I hope you'll get out of your bad patch soon. Fortunately you still have your job to keep afloat. And whatever happens YOU still have this MAJOR accomplishment under your belt of doing the job, caring for the kids AND keeping yourself in shape. I very much admire you for that.

Ilene- I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Tons of strenght in the next time. Sounds like you're in for what Pamela Peeke calls "treading weight".

Tiki - great that you found out what caused the binge.. lack of sleep & ex combo does sound like a bad idea. Better luck next time !

As for me, I'm still crawling out of the hole. Food wise things are a bit better, no binges now for 2 days. Excercise ways I did 7 km run on the treadmill. My elbow is still sore but less than yesterday.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

tikanique
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

It's Friday, Shake ya Groove thang, It's Friday, twist ya bootay!! I am in an incredibly GREAT mood today. So what I didn't get up in time to exercise and also missed my workout yesterday? So what I didn't pack ANY food to have at work today? It doesn't matter. All that matters is that my two kids got up an HOUR early this morning to straighten up the house because they know that I am about to come unglued trying to work, workout, coach, care for them and clean! They even cleaned out the car! They love me, they love me!

All silliness aside, I am going straight to the gym after practice this evening. I also will grab some healthy food at the grocery store on my way to picking up my daughter for a field trip so I will be fine.

I hope that everyone else has a great Friday as well. NO matter what's going on, let's all try to find at least one positive thing in our life and then focus on that when other things try to bog us down.

Keep your eating clean, ladies and your workouts dirty!!!

Tiki

Ilene
06-10-2005, 11:24 AM

What a quote, I love it!! Your post was infectious, so thank you and your kids...

Today I will workout tonight, not much else to do so may as well get a workout in...

TTFN :wave:

Mel
06-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique

:rofl: I love it! I certainly qualify :D I just got home from the gym after a few clients, then quicky "legs lite", then crazy cardio. I was doing the walk-lunge-run-increase incline treadmill routine today. The end is supposed to be a 10 minute walk with NO incline. After my last interval at 10% I discovered that the treadmill I was on was broken; the decline button didn't work :yikes: soooo my cooldown walk was slightly slower, but at 10%. Not much of a cool down. I'm definitely dirty :lol:

Off to find some clean eats....

Mel

WaterRat
06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm still here. Having some time/stress/DH health issues, but I think they're getting resolved. While I haven't been to the gym as much as I want, I'm trying to keep my eating "clean" - like the rest of you I tend to run for the kitchen to alleviate that stress. . .

Sandy, sorry to hear about your husband's job. Hope something better comes along soon.

Rabbit, glad you're crawling out of that hole. I'm right below you pushing you up - then you can reach your hand in for me, okay? :)

Ellen, I love reading about your workouts. Makes me smile to hear how much you like running!

Ilene, be sure to get some time for yourself. Can you do anything while your Dad is having his treatment? I know that radiation treatments themselves don't take too long, probably less time than all that driving time! Be careful on the road.

Hi to the rest of you! I'm exercising vicariously through you! I'll be back to it tomorrow or Monday I hope!

ellenuw
06-10-2005, 02:24 PM
(Warning - this is VERY long post. I won't be hurt if you skip it)

Thank you all.

Sandy - sorry to hear about DH. I hope it gets easier. You know it will just take time but opportunity will appear. Meanwhile, be sure to take of yourself so you can be there for him.

Pat, Ilene, Mel - you all take care of yourselves, too through these times of stress.

Tiki - those kids are amazing. Can I borrow them? And I love "keep you eats clean and workouts dirty". When I use it I promise to give you authorship.

I need to work on defining my "off" days to include "goofing off". Yesterday I did no formal exercise, but (for those familar with DC) walked 3 times through the areas around Metro Center and Dupont Circle picking up my race packet for Sat and wedding dress shopping with a friend. Yep, ankles still hurting. Then Friend1 drove me to Friend2's house for a "girls night" and we went to see Mary Chapin Carpenter - great concert, food out of my control as the other ladies brought strombolis and wine. Maybe I needed a break like that to get me back on track(?). Came home hot, sticky and in a great mood (hmm, must of been the music or the wine - who cares?). Took a while to wind down, but finally went of to sleep with my achy ankles.

Got to the gym by 8 for a Pilates class and session with trainer. Then I took my trainer out for coffee so we could talk about my (really bad) reaction to my measurements and tried to set goals for near future. Lots of questions, but no real answers. I think a lot of this is the fact that he has never been female or unathletic or overweight. He is also relatively new to the field - probably a year to 18 months. He even mentioned that he doesn't do the calipers often enough to have the confidence that his measurements were right. On the other hand, he sure is bending over backwards to help me. I am not trying to make this his fault - it must be something I am doing wrong, either though my workouts or expectations. He feels that I have 3 issues that I am trying to work all at once: weight loss, endurance and strength training. He asked if I could only do one which would it be? Then he would work that side harder and continue the other two, but not with as much intensity. He has also offered to work with one of the other trainers (the ex-body builder who has been doing PT with overweight clients for years - and has had some amazing success) to help me establish realistic goals. I am tired, very tired, of trying to lose weight and wish I was done and in maintenance. When I went to the GYN this week she commented that it was great I had lost 20 pounds since last year. I think it sucks that it took me a year to lose 20 pounds. Oh, and I lost 5 pounds in the last 3 months. So, Mel, I would say my weight loss has slowed considerably over the past year. See the dilemma? On the other hand, I am happy that I have a few stretch marks (stomach, breasts, upper arms) and the only excess skin areas I have are on my neck and inner thighs. I do believe it is the strength training that has made that true. And (because that is not enough) the endurance is important to help me get ready for the marathon. And Hillary Swank (Million Dollar Baby)/Linda Hamilton (T2) arms would be awesome.

So, I have lots of random thoughts, but no firm plan on goals. I am thinking it makes sense to make the weight loss my first priority. The only bad thing is I know he will put me on the bike for that, but I can learn to suck that up and move forward, I guess. I don't want to give up the running and I think it would help as that is cardio - right?

I also need to get back and remember the other changes - especially to my health. I know I am much better now and out of a lot of danger areas. I like the way I look (most days) and enjoy wearing clothes in "normal" sizes. I like that "look" my husband gets on his face when he looks at me (OK, I like that a lot). So I think I have worked this out - have my trainer start to include more cardio in my training sessions but include some lifting, continue with the running 4x a week and shooting for the marathon, elliptical 1-2 times a week and keep the yoga and Pilates, just because I like them.

The other question he asked it how often we should look at measurements (weight, inches and body fat). I know the weekly weigh-ins at WW made me nutty - especially as I lose so slowly and it makes me feel like a failure. Based on my reaction to the body fat this week, quarterly may be too long. What do you do? (Ilene, I hear you - I thought the pants-o-meter was working until the calipers and scale stepped in).

Thanks for listening and reading my whines. I'm going to ice my ankles and mentally prepare for tomorrow and lay out my clothes.

Greekgirl
06-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Hi girls!

I see you have all been busy this week and getting back to training (Mel and Ilene).

Ilene, I'm sorry about your father, and I hope he will get through the therapy well, I don't know what else to say, my mother went through the same (although of course not with her prostate).

Sashenka, hang in there, and don't get any nasty food in the house.

Ellen, I read your post whole and saw a lot of things I recognized. I have been working for the last year on losing weight and training at the same time. For me, many reps seem to work in combination with a lot of cardio and Aero. My main problem, however, is not training, first it's food and then my thyroid, which I have to have a good look at soon.
But the food does me in every time. I think the issues you discussed with you trainer are to the point. Apart from that: How do you keep yourself clean foodwise? My friend, an athlete, always used to say that eating is 70%, the rest is done by weights and training. Seeing how I eat and train, that's probably true.
You are on the right track in putting serious thought into the matter, so I know you will find the right answer for your own body to deal with it.

It's been a good week for me too, not as hot as in some of your hometowns, but nice enough. Training went well, food was BAAAAAAD!(PMS???).
The Chippendales turned out to be 3 Frenchies, according to my friend they were not as professional as the real thing, but basically I had to laugh so much about the local french ladies (all ages, to about 75!), all primped up and screaming hysterically in front of the stage in our local dance hall (which is painted an institutional brown and beige dating from the seventies), that I basically had too many tears in my eyes to see much detail on stage.
The rest of the week was comparatively tame, of course.

I also miss Jack, where has he gone?

DBF bought us a badminton net and two rackets, we've been playing in the garden at 23.00 at night yesterday because he wanted so badly to try it out, it felt like we were 12 again, that was fun!

No more news for now, oh, yes changed my program again as it is getting too easy FAST!

From Lyon,

Lieke

Mel
06-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Ellen- I have a lot of thoughts about your post, which hopefully I'll gt to post later this weekend.

Hi GG! :wave:

I just got ack from the gym...2 client, then crazy cardio for me. :dizzy: This one was a real doozie: 2 minutes on the stairmaster at speed set at 60, then 30 seconds of pop-ups on the left leg, 30 seconds on the right leg, 30 seconds standing lunges w/ 10 lb dumbbells on left leg, 30 second on right leg, then back to stair master. Keep repeating for 40 minutes, alternating the starting leg each time. I wasn't sucking wind at the end, but there were puddles all around me that I had to mop up :lol:

Mel

Zapphire
06-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Heyyy,I'm back.I haven't been lifting for like 2 weeks.It all started when I was sick for a week,and all **** broke loose.I broke every single weight loss rule and I've been inactive.And I was doing so well!I gained a couple of pounds too( I was at 155 and I'm now 158-159).I'm going to fool myself a bit and say it is intestinal contents.Yeah! :dizzy: Well,it could have been much worse!

Now I have to find the motivation to lift again.I will read your posts and visit stumptuous.com because that is what motivated me to start in the first place.

ellenuw
06-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I promise to make this post shorter. ;)

Did my 10K this morning. It was hot and humid, but I finished in 1:24:38 as it was my first really hot and humid day and I did not want to push it. it is all good.

Mel - I look forward to your comments. This race really did help me with crawling out of my hole. Now, the issues have not gone away, and I have made no real decisions on my goals, but I did get them back in their proper perspective by taking away some of the sabotage self-talk and realizing I could have never done something like this a year ago. Progress is not always a statistical measure. I am sorry to have been so down about all this. What a roller coaster!

Lieke - thank you for the validation. It is good to know I am not alone. The primary reason food is not too much of an issue for it is because I am wrapped really tight and have control issues :dizzy: I also know that I feel bad when I eat bad and really have to limit the indulgences. I also know that wine beats chocolate every time and one drink is OK but more hurts me the next day. That being said, I did "treat" myself after my run - we went out and I had a crabcake and salad (nothing wrong with that) but took limits on the other things: 6 french fries, one Bloody Mary and 2 demitasse spoons of a sinful pina colada pudding. This is living and I am willing. I remember something my WW leader said once.. "the 6th bite tastes as good as the 2nd - the first bite is always the best, then they kind of run together." So I make it a rule to stop after the 2nd bite. I know it sounds silly, but it works for me. I also do not have any convienence foods in the house, cook most of my own meals. If I want something, I have to go out and get it. Like I said, I have control issues. But the biggest thing is understanding that I make enjoy the taste of something for the moment but will pay for it over the next day. I also know that as much as I love to drink, my body does not metabolize alcohol well and it will take me 3-5 days to get back to where I was before the drink. It is about learning ourselves.

Zapphire - good to have you back, girlfirend. You know you have a place here on the treadmill next to mine. By showing up and posting, you have taken the first step to get back to your goals!

WaterRat
06-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey, Ellen! Way to go on the 10K. Congratulations! I'm watching the Nationals/Mariners game, but I can't see you!!! :lol:

ellenuw
06-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey, Ellen! Way to go on the 10K. Congratulations! I'm watching the Nationals/Mariners game, but I can't see you!!! :lol:

Thanks Pat - I was right there behind home plate (and three sections back). I was waving to you. Wow, my Nats are still in first place. Nothing like a home team. :lol:

4rabbit
06-12-2005, 03:59 AM
hi LWL,

hi Ilene- i hope you are still hanging in there, and I wish you strenght from here with your dad

Hi Mel - I always am absolutely amazed at your cardio workouts. No - way that I could match that intensity, but i do have 1 thing in common: after my workout ( i usually aim for 1 hour) I am dripping wet. So i think that is a good thing.

Ellenuw- congratulations on the 10k. I hope you are doing Ok on the other issues. You sound like you are in a bit of undecisive dip. Just keep hanging in while you make up your mind what goal to go for.

Sashenka - are you out there and OK ??

Tiki- LOVE your post. keep the food clean and the workout dirty. And I think you have great kids !

Pat - I feel your push in getting out of the hole. i hope you see my hand reachting out for you !!

Hi to greek girl !
All in all, we are getting reall support in the group, and I really find this very helpfull.

Excercise wise I did 7 kms on the treadmill again yesterday, and I plan to do some yoga or stretching today to get rid of a lot off muscle tension and creacking joints.

Have a great day,
rabbit