100 lb. Club - Would you drink it?

View Full Version : Would you drink it?

SuchAPrettyFace
06-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Ok, so I have made the switch to soy milk, light soy milk even. I like it in my morning coffee, and occasionally at night. It doesn't taste that much different & is lower in sugar & carbs than cow's milk.

Now.

I bought some on a short ($7) trip to the grocery store the other night...and left it on my windowsill overnight. I stuck it in the fridge as soon as I realized.

Now for the big question--would you drink it, if you were me? I am poor & really can't afford to throw it away. Then again, a trip to the ER b/c I am deathly ill from left-out soy milk would be more expensive than replacing it.

Such decisions. *le sigh*

missaprylj
06-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah, soy milk can be kept out as long as you want (like in a pantry) until you open it. *Warning* The brand I drink says this anyway!! Look on the box. It may say "refridgerate after opening" then you're A-ok.

Jillegal
06-05-2005, 09:02 AM
You know I'm just coming off a bout of food poisoning and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy (well, perhaps my ex-husband :devil: ) but I got it from food that still smelled and tasted yummy (nasty, deceitful food! :mad: ) Soy milk, on the other hand, neither smells or tastes yummy when its gone off. If it smells okay, I'd go ahead and drink it. Believe me, when soy milk has gone rotten, you know it as soon as you open the carton. You wouldn't even be able to get it near your mouth let alone swallow it, that's how bad it is! :barf:

djs06
06-05-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm all about the taste test! :lol:

SwimGirl
06-05-2005, 12:02 PM
It all depends on the type of soy milk, and if it was open. I don't keep my soy milk in the fridge until I'm about to use it, and I recall buying a case of soy milk with my mom when it was on sale, and we didn't use some of it for a year, but it was fine. So, I think you are fine, if it wasn't open. What kinda soy milk is it?

-Aimee

Sandi
06-05-2005, 04:30 PM
So....what did you do??

Jen
06-06-2005, 09:24 AM
If you bought it at the grocery store and it was in a refrigerated case and says that it should stay cold then no I probably wouldn't drink it.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Ok guys.

I spoke to my friend who is a nurse & she said as long as it wasn't opened, there was no air to get in there for bacteria to grow, etc.

I will be having a small glass/amount tonight.

Thanks everyone for voting. :dance: