South Beach Diet - TGIF - Beach Chat - June 3

View Full Version : TGIF - Beach Chat - June 3

Ruthxxx
06-03-2005, 07:19 AM
A week of long hard days culminated in a really bad night last night.

When I was at a meeting, Harry fell and really got a bad "cut" on his scalp. The amount of blood was really shocking - think Manson murders! I could not get it stopped myself so called 911 and we were at the hospital until three this morning. Needless to say, I'm wiped and also worn out. I'm hoping to get back to sleep after doing my doggie duties.

Harry has a big white turban covering 11 stitches and is dressed in scrubs as his clothes were just soaked. I take back the scrubs on Tuesday when I go for my cortisone shot. He seems OK. I got him some peanuts for a snack on the way home as he was crabbing about being hungry.

By the way, my neighbour Liz spotted the ambulance and came down. All she said was, where is your pail? She took care of the blood cleanup which certainly was appreciated. I have never seen anything like it and the room at the hospital was almost as bad.

So that's my tale of woe. I am going to try for a restful day so play nicely!

Schatzi
06-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Sorry to hear about Harry's head, Glad he is alright! It's times like that that make you more grateful to have good neighbors. Hope you have a nice quiet day today.. no trauma or drama

Enjoy

jenne1017
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
WOW Ruth!!!!!!!!!

How horrible. I hate the hospital. Hugs to you AND Harry!

It's a crappy/rainy/cold/gray Friday today. Luckily I can wear jeans today to work. I am a bit bummed -- got on the scale this am and all it moved was -.2 -- UGH!!!

So maybe I go to the gym by myself tomorrow? I do know that when I work out I always GAIN!!!!!!!! And shouldn't the pounds come off during P1??? I know, I know. But I am still frustrated.

Off to shower and get dressed. Leaving so close to 9a is what I love about working so close to home now :)

Have a good Friday!

jenne1017
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
HI Schatzi!!! :) We posted at the same time!

angelshine90
06-03-2005, 09:13 AM
ooh wow I am sorry! I hope that Harry feels better!
way to get him some nutts when he was hungry !!! even in a crisis you are thinking about being healthy!!! :)

as for me...I could't be happier that its FRIDAY! gonna do a little shopping tomorrow and enjoy the Sun...it is suppose to be in the 80s today! woohoo! Too bad i am stuck in here :( ah well!!!

*question....How long does it usually take to lose ONE pound of weight???

Lots of love

Eleni
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Ruth What a terrible night you had.It sounds like you have a wonderful neighbor. That's what real friends do.Hope you get some rest today.
It is another rainy dreary day here in "sunny" Florida. It will gradually will get better tho.
I am still doing good on SB. I am losing slow but steady. That works for me. Those 1/2# losses are adding up. Plus I feel better not eating the white potatoes,bread,pasta.

ellis
06-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Oh, Ruthie! :( I'm so sorry, sweetie. I hope you're sleeping now... you must be exhausted.
I'm so glad you've got good neighbours... sending you and Harry lots of love and hugs... :grouphug:

Hi to the rest of you girls! :wave:
Just working on my first coffee... :coffee:

RNMOM
06-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Ruth, sorry about Harry. There's nothing like a head wound to bleed like you've been out hunting! Hopefully you were treated well and Harry doesn't have too big of a headache today. I wish I had been your neighbor, I would have cleaned up for you.

angelshine, send some of that warm weather this way! Freezing cold here today :(

Ellis, wake up lovey! You certainly have more to say! How's the kitchen? (or do I dare ask?)

Eleni, congrats of the 1/2# losses. They do add up and you should feel very proud of yourself!

jenne, enjoy your day at work, it would be fun to wear jeans to work. I get to wear pajamas.....OK it's my own fault that I wear scrubs to bed....

We leave for the bike trip today. I still can't believe I got pressured into doing this. I haven't had the time to dedicate to train for it. It should be fun to just have some "female bonding" time together. We all have pretty strong personalities (we have to, we deals with less intelligent life forms...ie doctors) Anyway, it should be fun. We are eating at a famous Mexican restaurant tonight......I'll make good choices!

Well, TGIF, the weekend is almost here. Tie a knot in the end of that rope you're swinging from and hand on!

mama.dragon
06-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Ruth, hugs to you and Harry. Glad it wasn't anything more serious. Terrific neighbor. She gets a hug too.

Jenne, I'm still stuck. Sheesh!

Ellis, are you behaving?

I grey and going to rain again. Gotta love summer in the south.

Lydia

ellis
06-03-2005, 10:15 AM
RNMom, you're going to have SO much fun!! I hope you'll be wearing a helmet, girl! :yes: I can't wait to hear about the trip! :grouphug:

Lydia, why are you stuck? Do you need to post a day of eating so we can pass judgement on you? ;)
I've started Phase I again. I'd gained back the four pounds I lost, but I'm on day 4 now, and I've lost three pounds. :)
Come on girl... we can do this!! :hat:

DH has the morning off, and we're going to have breakfast together. I always ask them to leave the toast off the plate so I don't have to look at it.

I have had the busy week from !@##. If one more person drops in on me or demands time of me, I'm going to cry. (Ruth, you call me anytime, hon. :yes: )
I was just settling down for a little "me time" last night when one of my best friends called. His ex-boyfriend is dying of colon cancer. :( I told him to come right over, and he bawled his eyes out in my arms. Poor love.
I know he'll be calling me again soon, and that's okay. I'll just have to kill someone to relieve the tension, that's all. :lol3:

DH is bathing before we go out, but I'm damned if I am! :lol: Maybe I'll brush my teeth. Maybe...
And then I may crawl into to bed and shut out the world for awhile.

Love you all... hope you're doing okay. :grouphug:
Continuing prayers for those that need them...
Bamie, how's your knee? And your son? And your Mom?
Peggy, how are you feeling hon?
xoxo Ellis

mama.dragon
06-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Ellis, I'm glad to hear you're not giving up. I think I'm stuck because I'm constipated. There's probably a few pounds of weight in there. OK TMI. I'll try to get my meal list up when DH goes out. Right now I'm trying to get my computer work done before DH and wild child get up.

Lydia

ellis
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Lydia, DH and I were grocery shopping yesterday, and saw this packet of things in the "health food" part of the store. They were these biscuits, and they were called, "Bowel Buddies". :lol3: :rofl: You just eat one a day. Can't remember the carb count, but when I saw them (after rolling around on the floor in hysterics for awhile), I thought of all you girls who get constipated.

beachgal
06-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Ruth! :grouphug: :grouphug: What a traumatic experience! It must have been hard for even a stalwart soul as you to see all that blood and Harry must have been terrified! I'm so glad he is okay and that you have such good neighbors. Get some rest, sweet girl. ((((((((((((((Ruth))))))))))))

Hi, Schatzi! :wave:

Jenn, I feel you about wanting that scale to move. It does, eventually, but it takes time. It's hard to lose in P1 when you've been on SBD for a while. You never know, though, it may surprise you! If you always gain at the gym, think about what else you do around it. Do you overeat before or after because you are extra hungry? Do you drink less water? It could be extra muscle, but I would be surprised to see it show up immediately. :dunno: Lucky girl on the commute and the jeans...we aren't allowed to wear them to work. :(

Angel, it can totally vary to lose one pound depending on a million factors. It's different for each person. :dunno: Have fun tomorrow...your weather sounds amazing!!! :cool: :beach:

Eleni, good for you on keeping a sunny attitude in spite of the weather! Congrats on the losses...looking good, girl! :D

RNMom, you are going to show those chickies what's what when you do that bike ride! :strong: You are a :queen: and you know it! :D You made me laugh with your comment about doctors... :lol: Enjoy the Mexican food! :T

Lydia, I hear you...it's grey here too. :dunno: But it's Friday no matter what the weather looks like! :D I know being stuck is awful hon, but it will come off...trust me! I'm moving again after three months of being stuck...it does happen! :D

Ellis, I'm so sorry that everyone is tearing and scratching at you. You need your time to regenerate. The world can wait. Turn off the phone and the lights and burrow under those covers until you are feeling right again. :yes: Okay? :grouphug: You are such a dear friend to so many, but we don't have the right to use you up until there's nothing left. :no: :grouphug: So sorry about your friend. Cancer is awful stuff...the older I get the more people I love are taken from me because of cancer. Something needs to be done, but I'm not sure what. :cry:

Me:
Well, still hanging out at 210.5 :cb: I was so scared that I'd bounce back up like I did two months ago after hitting 208. :rolleyes: It's so nice to lose and have it stick, but I'm treading on eggshells for now hoping it doesn't change...

Finsiehed all my stuff in time to hit the picnic for a half hour yesterday. Class ended early and was able to get to the party in time. Jenn, you would have had a fit as it was chip central there. I think almost everyone was holding a party-size bag of something and noshing away... :rolleyes: Thankfully I had a nice glass of red wine to sip and just enjoyed hanging out with friends. :)

Tonight DH and I are going to hang at home. Tomorrow I have an appt. with my therapist, want to do some errands, do some puttering in the garden, and some Pilates/yoga. Tomorrow night is a reception for graduation, and Sunday morning is the ceremony. We'll pop in on a friends' party, and then go up to a winery up north for dinner. They have four course meals and a fabulous view! The only thing I'm worried about is dessert. It's included and I'm hoping they'll either have some kind of sugar-free option or will bring me some fruit instead. I already know what appetizer I'll have...it's a platter with local grapes and local cheeses...a bit too much fat, but other wise fine. Yum! :T

Have a great weekend, chickies! :sunny:

beachgal
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Oh man, Ellis, I could use some of those! :lol3: The toilet and I are not good friends lately. And this isn't the kind of subject I like talking about with my doctor. :p

jenne1017
06-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Lyd -- and Laurie -- I am in the same boat. Even drinking my YUMMY (read that with sarcasm please) Metamucil...

Oh Laurie -- you HAD to say chips???? lol

angelshine90
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
you know what else works? beans!! and black coffee! give it a shot! .....:)

gofishin50
06-03-2005, 11:26 AM
:wave:Top of the morning BEACH BABES! ......... :grouphug:RUTH,Sorry 2here abt Harry, :^: tk some well deserved winks....... ELLIS,,U r truely what friends r for:queen:,It was u who helped me through my MOMs death,,tk some time to recoup:yes:,U TRUELY DESERVE IT:angel:,,.....:goodscale:Lost another lb and 3 1/2 inches since started PH1:dance:,,YAHOO,,.....For all u other losers:encore:,,.....beautiful outside now but storms:rain: on the way,I hv to go to work anyway:tantrum: so maybe it wl keep the:crazy: compulsive shoppers from returning their unwanted goods again :s: Hope uall hv a great weekend:beach:,play nice on those BEACH TOWELS!!..................GOFISHIN:dancer:

anchor weight
06-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi guys!

Happy Friday! TOM finally showed up and my PMS is gone. Thank God the world is safe for another 21 days. :lol:

I've got to tell you guys - I'm trying to sell my DF's race car on EBAY and a guy from Grand Rapids emailed me and asked if he could come see the car. He was just here at work. He's young enough to be my son - maybe if I had him at 16 - and he was hitting on me. :lol: Why does that make smile? I think he has a foot fetish cause he told me I had pretty feet. :lol: We were talking about feet cause DF makes me put a towel on the floor of the race car before I drive it so my feet don't get the carpet dirty. He asked why the towel was there - did the car leak? So I told him about how anal my DF was about dirty shoes in his car. He said I had the prettiest feet he'd ever seen. :lol:

I'm going to dinner tonight at my DM & DF's club. I want to try to catch the shy guy who never talks to me. He golf's every Friday afternoon so I'm hoping he will be there. I'm going to say hi to him and give him my number - so wish me luck.

Also tomorrow is the graduation party for my friends daughter. Remember young hottie with the little baby? He should be there. I haven't seen him since I told him that I didn't want to see him anymore. Wish me luck on that one too!

I'm hoping the scale will budge at the next weigh in. I'm going to meet my 3500 caloric reduction this week too so technically I should be down two pounds once TOM goes away.

Ruth - OMG!!!!! Get rest and hugs to you!

soon2Bfab
06-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Good morning ladies...wow a lot of "potty" talk in here this morning! :rofl:
Black coffee works, but I also like Fiber choice Sugar free chewable orange tablets..tastes better than some. Although I have never triead a "bowel buddy" I don't see myself putting anything in my mouth with a name like "bowel" in it!!

RUTH: Sorry about Harry. Glad he is ok...get some rest!! Hugs to you & Harry!!

JENN - I'm off to do crunches....my weight isn't moving either (but at least it didn't go up!)

Angelshine - losing a pound for me takes about 4 times longer than it did to gain a pound!!

Ellis - good morning....bowel buddies....you're silly! It sounds like you're a great friend also...hope things work out for your friend.

RN - Female bonding...sounds like fun!!! ENJOY!!!

Laurie - You beat me in here today!! The weekend sounds very busy for you & the hubby! The winery sounds wonderful.....have a bite of cheese & grapes for me!!!

Me - Work yesterday was awful. The other managers sat on their behinds or called off so I was stuck doing all of the work. Afterwards I went to Como's in Ferndale & sat on the patio & had a glass of wine & 2 slices of pizza (I didn't eat the crust....just the toppings) But I had fun...hanging out with 3 mid-aged gay men....very fun. They kept hitting on the bartender. I came home & went to bed! Tonight I work -again!!! And I work all weekend! Tomorrow night, I think I'm going to make a special dinner for me & my DBF....you inspired me Laurie!! Well..I'm going to read some email & then workout!!
Have a great day!!!

soon2Bfab
06-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Go fishin & anchor - hi....I was busy writing my post I didn't see you!!!

beachgal
06-03-2005, 11:41 AM
:tape: Oops, Jenn! ;) Sorry about that...as long as no one mentions french bread, we'll be fine. :lol:

2BFIT1
06-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Ruth~I'm sorry to hear that Harry and you had such a horrible time last night but very happy to hear that Harry is OK. What a scare, huh?

Ruthxxx
06-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Still worried as he is very weak and BGL is too high. I'm waiting to hear from my doc.
I guess I'm not an emotional eater because I'm still OP! :shrug: Maybe later!

jenne1017
06-03-2005, 12:10 PM
or chocolate cake.

and I don't even like chocolate!

beachgal
06-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Ruth, did they figure out why he fell? I hope that he feels much better soon. Did they give him a transfusion in the hospital? Losing that much blood would make any of us weak, I would think. :grouphug:

Ruthxxx
06-03-2005, 12:59 PM
No idea why he fell. May have been another stroke. He's dozing right now.
I am in wait and watch mode. If he does not rally by around three, we will be back to the hospital for reassessment and evaluation over the weekend.

The Girls are really worried and are being quiet and very cuddly! Animals know what's happening.

jenne1017
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Animals are good like that Ruth!!

soon2Bfab
06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Ruthie....you & Harry are in my thoughts & prayers today! Please keep us updated!!

:grouphug:

kissyjoy
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi Ladies! :wave:

I wanted to get this in before I get completely buried and then am off for the week!

RUTH - I'm so sorry to hear about Harry's fall and hope he gets well soon! :grouphug: You have a really great neighbor!

I've been trying to get all my work done before I leave for Hawaii tomorrow. In between all of that, I've been slowly packing and went with my mom to visit my grandmother at the convalescent home. She's still there from her second fall and will more than likely be moving into assisted living on 6/13. It was really sad being there as there are so many people who are in pain. :( Also, my grandma is starting to show signs of dementia. She talks completely fine for awhile and then she comes up with the strangest stories. She completely believes that the convalescent home is running an illegal Chinese immigrant ring and that they are taking some kind of fluid from dogs and injecting it into humans. She went on and on with these strange stories. It really is sad as she has always had a very sharp mind. She has a benign brain tumor that they are going to look into again and see if that might be what's causing these crazy stories. On the plus side, she is walking up and down the hall really well.

I've got to get going on my work today. I wanted to make sure I got in a "goodbye" before I left! :cool: I'll be on my way to the Big Island in the morning (check out the webcam at www.konaweb.com). On Wednesday, we'll be flying over to Maui until next Saturday. I can't wait! It's just my mother and I (WOOHOO....leaving the hubbies at home)! I love these vacations with my mom. We're more best friends than mom & daughter. I hope everyone has a great week and stays OP! I know I won't (oh, those lava flows, chi chi's, and mai tai's)! :T At least I'll be getting plenty of exercise as I have a lot of activities planned including hiking at the volcano's, swimming, an ATV ride, and the thing I'm most excited about....zipline over Haleakala Crater!

And Phins.....I'll be having lotsa boat drinks at Cheeseburger in Paradise in Maui!!! :burger: I'll also try to figure out where I'm gonna go if the volcano blows! :lol: Phins Up!!!!

Aloha ya'll!!!! :beach: :sunny: :beach: :sunny: :beach:

Bamiegurl
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Ruth...Hugs and prayers to you and Harry! Wow you go girl satying OP through this! You have arrived! lol I hope everything turns out for the good and you don't have to spend your w-end at the hospital!

Anchor...UGG! A foot guy! I have a foot fetish...I hate 'em and don't want them any where near me! lol (except my own and they are only to walk on!) lol Looks like you got 'em lined up this w-end! lol Hope all goes well with the number and the baby with a baby! lol

Soon2bfab...Love the new pic of Cloe! Sounds like you had a good time in spite of your work day. Way to go!

Ellis...Take care...and enjoy breakfast with DH and then your nap afterwards! DS is fine now. I hope it stays that way! lol Mom is about the same and my knee well it's good til I get out and about for to long! lol Thanks for asking in the midst of your own drama!

Laurie..Sounds like a fun w-end planned!

No time to post to everyone so a big HELLO and have a great whatever you do today!

Me...I've got to get goin. I have 2 girls in there chompin at the bit to get to Wally World! I have to go to the Co-Op to pick up some Huntsville grass seed. It's a special blend made just for here that DH wants to try. It's hard to grow grass in the shade. Cloudy and rainy here again! I'm off to grab breakfast and a shower and we are out the door!

Bamiegurl
06-03-2005, 01:31 PM
CJ... I hope you have a wonderful trip and all goes well! Hang Ten! lol

beachgal
06-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Ruth, keep us posted if you can. I'll be praying for Harry. I hope it was just a trip and not another stroke. :( :grouphug: Animals definitely know...they can be such a great comfort. You get some hugs and cuddles from the pups, okay? :grouphug: Wish I could be there to sit with you.

CJ, you have a fabulous vacation...you've earned it!!! :D Hawaii is wonderful. :cloud9: Say hello to the cows on Haleakala for me. I don't know that they know where they're a gonna go when the volcano blows! :lol:

beach bum
06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
WoW:) for a Friday 31 posts already,I wasn't here this morn as we bought some select comfort beds :cloud9: for our aging bodies. I think selecting the firmness :wl: of the mattress is whats going to help me with my back and neck disc problems,that caused the pinched nerve.

Have a nice weekend and keep beaching :beach: :beach: Hugs :) BB

mama.dragon
06-03-2005, 05:36 PM
you know what else works? beans!! and black coffee! give it a shot! .....:)

I wish. I already eat beans on a daily basis and drink my coffee black. Maybe we should start a thread where we can stand up and be counted. The group laugh may be enough to get us going.

Lydia, whose 4 1/2 yr old still likes to tell me what kind of poooopie she had

jenne1017
06-03-2005, 05:41 PM
:lol: Lyd!

if worse comes to worse today, I may try eating some sugar free caramel NIPS which get me going ( careful not to go over the 75 calorie limit of course)

coffee, beans, ruffage - nothing is working!

mama.dragon
06-03-2005, 05:44 PM
WoW:) for a Friday 31 posts already,I wasn't here this morn as we bought some select comfort beds :cloud9: for our aging bodies.

That's what we have. DD thinks we bought them so she could have something to jump on. They're good for that.

Lydia

Mamacita
06-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Afternoon, Chicks~~~

I'm sitting here having a little pity party for myself. Doc says there's no tear to the meniscus in my knees (good news!) BUT it is starting to erode on the anterior (outside) edge...plus I have early arthritis. She shot me up with corisone... OUCH!!!!! so now I'm sitting here with frozen peas on my knees. I'm supposed to have some therapy to build up the inner thigh muscles and no more going to the gym. :( She wants me to start swimming and using the eliptical machine instead.

((((((Ruth and Harry))))) Golly what a scary thing to have happen. :fr: Nothing bleeds like a head wound. Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers that it was just a fall and not an indicator of anything more sinister.

Hello to all you Chicks I haven't met...I'm sort of an old timer...but haven't been here for a while.

(((Jenn))) I feel your pain, Sweetie...P1 was a bear for me...the scale wasn't kind to me at all for the longest time. Have you had a check up to make sure there aren't any issues that are hampering your weight loss? I found out that I have PCOS and that I could have dieted and exercised til I keeled over and would never have lost weight without medical intervention.

Hi Ellis, I'm so sorry about your friend's BF....and sorry for you, to have to have the burden of being a "comforter" on your shoulders...sometimes you just want to run and hide!

Hi to Beachgal, RNMOM, Anchor, Sil, and Bamie :wave:

Okay, gotta go figure something out for dinner...chicken and something...broccoli? Cauliflower?

Adios~~

Mamacita

Barb0522
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
I AM going to manage a quick post in the daily even if I have to work late to do it.

Ruth - I'm so sorry to hear about Harry. Best wishes to you both.

Me - This has been a busy busy week. Wednesday Brian and I had an orientation at the animal shelter and then we volunteered for an hour yesterday. Lots of walking back and forth cleaning cages and refilling food bowls. We go back for two hours on Sunday since Brian didn't think we were there long enough. I've got the house to myself tonight since DH and Brian are going camping tonight so they can be at the park for a fishing derby tomorrow. While they are at the fishing derby, I will be jogging in the Komen Race for the Cure 5K. That should be a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Well, I think that is enough for now. I'm heading to the gym that has a pool. I want to be really careful how I work out tonight since I don't want anything to be sore when I start tomorrow. I'll post after the race tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
06-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Been at Emergency since shortly after three! Hary has been admitted. The doc thinks he may have broken ribs and maybe punctured a lung! Oy! The BGL swings amy be due to stress.

I saw him to his room and just got home. I had a half turkey sandwich on whole wheat with no margarine and lite mayo for dinner! The vending machines at the hospital are psuedo South Beach!

Now I am having a Scotch and soda and ain't nobody gonna stop me! Night all.

Bamiegurl
06-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Ruth...You poor thing! Poor Harry! The pain he must have been in all day. No wonder he wasn't coming around. Take care and keep us posted! I hope you are fast asleep after your scotch!