Support Groups - The Zen of Cowness and the Nothingness of Moo

Kiwonk
06-01-2005, 11:33 PM
:moo: Ooooooohhhhhmmmmmmmoo

Painty, yay on the slider movement.

Double yay on the Sarah Mc concert. She is wonderful wonderful wonderful.

The lake sounds like a good time, Wab. You guys have the right attitude. I need to work on that.

Cowp, that is my favorite way to have spinach too. I like to let it sit on the burner with the lid on for a little bit so it gets a tad crunchy around the edges. Fiddleheads are fairly mild for a wild green. The consistency can be pretty mushy if you overcook them, but if they are steamed just enough they are fabulous. A bit like asparagus but milder tasting. I just came across a recipe for "Beer Batter Fried Asparagus". Sounds a little unnecessary, don't you think? But I might try it anyway.

I had a beautiful/awful day. Funny thing is DD and I went to a big band concert last night at the high school--something the school music dept. had imported from the Big City--and we were both a little irritated with each other. Nothing extreme, mostly annoying each other and whining about it, then laughing at each other. Then I realized I had just started my period, and she had started hers the day before. So that all made a certain sense--2 PMS-ing broads in an enclosed space.... So today was gorgeous and sunny and DH had some medical tests he had to go have, then instead of going to work...he hasn't been to work since Friday and not for any very good reason--he's congested :shrug:. I kid you not. Anyway, instead, he came home and when DD got home from school, he suggested we take the truck and drive up to where they were releasing flood water into the original riverbed of the Penobscot which they haven't done in many many years, and there is an impressive falls that has always been dry and would now be running. He assures DD that it will be no more than an hour. First thing I do as we're driving along is put my arm on the back of the seat. Then I discover I have some black tar on me. On my arm, my shirt, the seat-back, my pants AaAAAAAAAAAAAgggggggghh. It was some gunk from around the back window melting in the sun. Well, every time I moved I got it on something else. Meanwhile we're driving into the woods on a crummy road that gets worse and worse and we drove over a collapsed culvert and number of other ditchlike holes. Fortunately we have 4 wheel drive. Finally we stopped because we were not sure which way the falls were and we'd gotten to the river. We ended up walking through a stream and getting wet, and decided it's not that way, got back in the truck and went a little the other way, which just seemed to be getting further from the river. Plus there is another impassable stream across the road. So DH got out to walk down the road and see if that was the way to go. DD and I shut all the windows and sat in the truck and started sweating -- because outside were 497 million mosquitos and black flies looking for their first meal. When DH finally came back at least 20 minutes later, it was already 2 hours after we'd left home and there was at least an hour drive out. DD and I were not impressed and refused to explore any further, and we headed home. I had to find some way to get all the black crap off me and make some dinner because DD had to go to dance. Finally I got done with all that and got on here and then about 9:00 I remembered that I was supposed to go to a boosters meeting at 7:00 and not only that but I was going to spend the afternoon typing my minutes from last month's meeting. So I not only completely missed the meeting, but I didn't do the minutes. I am a complete idiot and I'm going to have to call people tomorrow and apologize profusely. And I'm planning to blame it all on DH's stupid one hour drive into the woods. So there. Then I stood up and leaked blood right through my pants. OH GOOD GOD!@!#%*&!

So anyway, how was your day? :crazy:

Kiwi

Bagzz
06-02-2005, 06:50 AM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! that is not a funny story,by any stretch,but the punchline at the end made me laugh!!!!---so you were lookinf for TOM GORDON in the woods-------your story sounds straight out of Steven King-----your dh is lucky you girls didn't take off and leave him there with the skeeters!!!!----------------THERE IS NOTHING I WOULD HATE MORE THAN DRIVING INTO WOODS WITHOUT A REAL ROAD!!!!---- i was on a school bus with 60 kids back when dd was in grade five---the "@^$@" driver got lost in the woods looking for a Maple Sugar Camp we were going to----he took us an hour out of our way---those bus seats are AWFUL---hard and no springyness to them===the dirt road caused all kinds of bumping and the kids loved it,but i was 7 months pregnant,so i thought i would DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----that was indeed quite a story my dear kiwonk!!!!!!---------------perhaps a "daytimer" would come in handy===i must get one of those myself!

Cowpernia
06-02-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm not going to tell you about my day. I was but I changed my mind. Instead, I'll tell you what I'm having for breakfast right now:

Raspberries which sat out al night but didn't mold
Banana
Ice
Vanilla extract
Cranberry-white grape juice

All blended. Good enough. I shall snack soon.

Wabby
06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
At first I thought it was going to be a happy story. Driving through the woods to find a waterfall sounded like a happy story. wrong. Sorry your day was so horrible, Kiwi, and I would definitely blame anything I could on the DH. :devil:

Bagzie, good good that the weather turned sunny. I was worried about you. I yust go cwazy when it rains endlessly.

Kiwonk
06-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah, Wab, nutty, huh? It did sound like a good idea at the time.

Cowp, are you drinking the vanilla extract for the alcohol content? Did you go out and drive to work? I'm telling.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
My day was refreshingly boring.
A friend from Florida called and wished me well. I haven't talked to her since Christmas or so. I had a meeting about the retreat I'm facilitating Monday/Tuesday. I saw two (not enough) clients. Met a friend for early dinner... and discovered I was quite tired. Then when I got home a friend had mailed me a party in a box.... SO cool.
I must remember to act on ALL my kind impulses... because receiving somebody else's kind impulse feels REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY GOOOOOOOOD.
I am at one with the MOOOOOOOOOOO

SugP
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Anyone miss me?? My computer broke LAST SUNDAY and the guy only came to fix it today. Pthhhhh on that! It was like being stranded on a desert island! And I can't seem to send email to any of yous cows now. Something about needing authorization. Let's hope that sorts itself out soon. Must go marinate something.

Cherry Cow
06-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi!

Kiwi, that's an awful story!

Those are some yummy recipes y'all are throwing around. I'm pretty much relying on my Weight Watchers online meal plan ideas to hold my hand when it comes to making meals. They make sure I get all the fruits, veggies, and fiber I need. All I have to do is buy it and cook it. And I'm getting back on track with exercise.

Of course, school starts on Monday, so it will be back to the struggle again.

Cowpernia
06-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Seventh year?/// BAGZIE, how long have we known each other (except Baby Sister Painty)?

Sugar and I were disucssing swearing which I won't let her do anymore becuase I am a new Southern Baptist. You, however, may continue. You are an idol worshipper anyhow.

painty is going to post a picture of a cat with a big 'roid.

Kiwonk
06-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Woohoo--Party in a Box! :woo:

I just came back from a party. Of sorts. It was Class Day for the seniors at the high school. They put on skits and do music and dance performances; the public is invited. That's one of the nice things about a small town--you can go to most anything that's going on; almost nothing is too crowded to get into.

The junior class, per tradition, made t-shirts for the occasion, to be ripped off on cue when the graduating class declares the juniors to be seniors (underneath most of them had a shirt that declared them a senior). And they sat all in a group up in the bleachers with noisemakers and made a ruckus. DD looked very fetching in her "after" shirt -- she decorated an old undershirt that is quite hideous, worn thin, stained and too small. It looked better with the painted slogans on it.

In other news, almost the entire senior class, including at least 2 (out of 4--don't ask) valedictorians, were busted for drinking at 2 am the other night at a big party out of town. Someone called the police when some kids threw firecrackers into a bonfire and another kid started doing "donuts" in someone's front yard. Dumb sh**s. The party was in the next county over, so the cops who responded were from there and they didn't have an ounce of sympathy for the kids. They all got summonses and fines, they've been kicked off whatever sports teams they were still playing on (the baseball, softball and tennis teams are nearly defunct because of it), and the word is that the valedictorians involved will have to step down, but of course all this is hearsay. I only hope that the junior class is taking notes. It's been assumed by most kids that the cops look the other away on underaged drinking as long as they don't catch you drinking and driving, so maybe there will be some attitude changes after this.

My darling innocent daughter is hard at work studying for her SAT IIs (Subject Tests) and preparing pieces for a coffeehouse performance tomorrow night. I take that back. She's watching King of the Hill.

Later kids. Have a great weekend, whatever you're doing. I will be enjoying the sudden summer weather! :cool:

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-03-2005, 05:18 PM
--your dh is lucky you girls didn't take off and leave him there with the skeeters!!!!-----Ain't that the truth? We did discuss it. DD actually thought that would be mean...

k

PainterWoman
06-03-2005, 07:58 PM
You may visit go here (http://www.journal_to_a_muse.blogspot.com) to see the party in a box. I'll post Puppy cat's photo with a balloon on her butt. She did NOT understand the static electricity stuff. But then, whose cat does physics? Except Shrodinger's... sorry... that's an in joke for anybody who married a physicist. Couldn't help myself. :lol:

I dropped another pound this morning.
THEY MADE ME DRINK BARIUM before a bone scan. NOBODY TOLD ME. Yeeeech. But at least I wasn't the 1 out of 40,000 who dies from the ink they use in the ct scan. That would NOT have been cool.

I should go for a walk. It rained earlier and it may have de-humidified itself outside. Chicken with teriyaki sauce and sauteed veggies.... Before it gets any later.

Sweet dreams all.

Kiwonk
06-03-2005, 10:10 PM
mmm barium :barf:

Cherry, I can certainly see your point with WW. I hope that works for you. Most of the time, I don't really plan meals, I just do something with what I have on hand. It's not necessarily the best option. On the other hand, I don't take direction well either. :shrug: What I need is someone else to decide what I can eat and then buy it and cook it for me. Yep, servants. That would work.

Went out to dinner tonight. I was not too awful bad; I had a salad and then a very small (6") pizza). No dessert. 2 beers. Could've been worse.

I have really nothing intelligent to say. Probably on account of the 2 beers.

Kiwi

Bagzz
06-04-2005, 06:45 AM
OH I HAD TWO WINE SPRITZERS,SOME OF DH'S LOBSTER,A BIT OF DD'S STEAK,AND MY OWN SCALLOPS AT 'BILLY'S SEAFOOD RESTAURANT' AT THE MARKET----WAS GOOD BUT NOT SPECTACULAR-----------HARD TO FIND OUTSTANDING FOOD AROUND HERE.oh painty--that goody box looks yummy--------------- i love lavender too!!! just finished up a whole bottle of bubble bath meself. i also drank barium for a stomach x-ray----tasted like chalk . not as bad as i thought it would be though!----we will be thinking of you all week---when is the actual day for the surgery???HANG IN THERE!!!!!

Bagzz
06-04-2005, 06:47 AM
OH,**** AND DAMNATION!!! I FORGOT I WAS ALLOWED TO SWEAR!!! THANKS COWPERNI-ARSE!!!i only worship ONE IDOL-=---and that's not a catholic statue---- it's KALAN PORTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bagzz
06-04-2005, 06:49 AM
OOPS-----------kiwonkers!!!! that's quite a story about the GRade 12's!!!! you are right---hopefully your dd and her cronies will take note!!!!----the hockey team got caught drinking a few years ago and the principal cancelled the entire hockey season----the kids went nuts they were so upset,but that type of 'incident' never happened again~~~!!!!

Kiwonk
06-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Off to the coffeehouse, tough duty I have as a parent....

ta :woo:

Kiwi

PainterWoman
06-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Better to stick it to the HS kids than have any of 'em killed. I still get chills when I think about the capital "C" CUTE captain of the drill team who was killed while riding in her drunk boyfriend's car after homecoming... or the guy who lettered three times who got broadsided and brain dead by a drunk driver.... Being a teenager is dangerous without having free rein to add bad decisions.

Don't you wonder about the "guards" in Guantanamo or Abu Greve and who forgot to teach them to make "good" decisions? or even ask "What WERE you thinking? :?:

I finally finished preparation for the work/conference/retreat I'm facilitating Monday and Tuesday... Then i have a couple of appointments Wednesday (am skipping staff meeting).

Thursday's my engagement with the scalpel and dye (did you know I might be all blue?! :( :( :( :( I am looking forward to Tylenol with LOTS of codeine, long naps and seeing Oprah on the day it was first broadcast (at least on Friday... probably won't be very awake Thursday!

Thanks again, y'all for your rabble rousing support.

Cowpernia
06-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Painty, I wonder about my fellow Americans who are not outraged by the guards in Guantanamo. In fact, I wonder at times if this is another difference between the two political parties.

Blue is nice.

I feel blue but in the other way. Not nice.

Burp.

Kiwonk
06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Blue is beautiful.

I am allergic to June. Not the sleep lady in leopard jumpsuit, the month. I am sneezy wheezy and itchy.

Have a good day.

Sneezy, Wheezy & Itchy

SugP
06-07-2005, 03:11 AM
I am crampy and headachy and just want to sleep but I must go the the library and teach other people's children how to behave. I kicked two boys out of last week's group and it was much more pleasant.

My house is a mess. I am wading in dirty laundry.

Oh, Painty! I can't imagine what you must be going through. We are all behind you and we love you, you know that, right? You've got at least another 40 years in you yet.

Kiwi- haven't had time to read your adventure yet but it looks kind of messy. Will comment later. I'm in one of those "can't concentrate on anything much for more than 30 seconds" phases right now.

Kiwonk
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Sorry you feel carpy, Sug. I feel carpy too. I'm not sure it's just allergies anymore, maybe I have a cold or something. I have to go to DD's end of year school awards program. All I really want to do is take more decongestants and go back to bed.

I think it's great you can kick out the troublemakers from library. How nice. When DD used to go to story time, there were 2 boys that couldn't behave ever. It was very annoying. They had mullets.

Must go blow nose. Bye.

Kiwi

Cowpernia
06-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Do I feel carpy?

Kiwonk
06-07-2005, 04:01 PM
No, you feel fishy.

So I'm back from the awarding. Our little cowlette received 10, yes 10 awards. She got lots of exercise going up and down from the stage. She also had 2 surprises--she got the Williams College Book Award for English and, most shocking, the Society of Women Engineers award for science and math. Apparently her chemistry and math teachers colluded on that one. So, even though she has sworn she wouldn't touch engineering with a 10 foot pole, she has an engineering award. :lol: DH--electrical engineer that he is--is beside himself.

Guess what we decided to give the kid for working so hard this year -- a 4-track recording studio! Well, it's a palmpilot sized device that she can plug in guitar or mike cables to and record onto, and then transfer it to the computer for mixing music. Cool huh? She is very excited.

So what's everybody doing this summer? I got bad news today that I haven't even processed yet. Our sailing friends who have been living on their boat in Florida were heading up the coast this spring and were planning to spend the summer on the Maine coast -- apparently they have decided not to go any further than Washington DC, so we will probably only see them if they drive up here for a week or two. This is very bad news because DH will be done with his job in 3 weeks and I was planning on him amusing himself on our sailboat alongside those 2 for most of the summer. I already know he's not going to look very hard for a job, and if he really does something on our house I will be so shocked I will need CPR, so if he doesn't have friends on the coast to spend time with, he will be hanging around here moping and playing the same 3 chords on the guitar. And I will be going f-ing nuts! I swore I wouldn't go out looking for a job at least until after DD graduated next year, but.....

Here's what I'll be doing this summer: a lot of laundry and a lot of driving. DD has 3 trips back to back from the middle of this month to almost the end of July when we get back from the NC beach. In August I want a puppy. Work on that, eh?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
My only comment (because I am brain-full) is now DD can make recordings like my friend with the website who has sweaty bald pictures on it.

You still proud?

Wabby
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Something seems a little fishy around here.... Hey! speaking of which, DS and gf went to the grocery yesterday, bought halibut and cooked DH & I dinner. Wasn't that nice??? He's been skating on thin ice lately. DS, that is. He wants to behave as if our home is his own personal dwelling. He has many friends who have a problem with boundaries. They chased DH & I out of the house Sunday evening because they just wouldn't all go home!!!!Oh well. I got dinner and a movie out of the deal.

I couldn't even imagine how proud you are Kiwi. My kids were always the ones being called up to the principal's office, not called up for awards. I feel for you if DH is hanging around all summer. That's one of my DH's best attributes. He's very good at amusing himself. Sometimes too good. He was out working in the barn on his car last night until 10:30. He just sold a '71 Chevelle that he restored. Now he's working on a '48 Ford streetrod. And he already is planning on building a '32 Ford 3 window coupe when the '48 is done. It keeps him out of the bars. Kiwi, I got the speakers fixed on my computer finally, but when I went back to try to listen to your DD's music it wouldn't let me into that website. Can you email me directions to the site again?

Peaches, get back here and give us a real post.

Sugar, I can't imagine you being tough with the little library kids. You're too sweet.

Nevermind about DD's music website, Kiwi. It let me listen today. She's really fabulous, isn't she?

Cowpernia
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Here is my real post:

Last night, I was close to being teary-eyed because some people were unexpecetedly SO NICE>

My DS is in scouts and if you make Eagle Scout, you got to do it before your 18th birthday. He's 17 and has NOT BEGUN three requirements. HAS NOT BEGGGUNNN. HAS been supposed to do it for two years.

So I said to him, "I am tired of scouts. I do not want to go. I do not believe you will make Eagle. If you want to go to scouts, you will have to tell me each Monday or I'm not going."

I told some of the parents at the scout meeting this last night and TWO of them saw my seriousness, apprehended DS and told him what to do and when to do it (this week). One signed herself up as counsellor for the two merit badges he needs and she and a man both quizzed and instructed him on the Eagle project requirement. It was a commitment by them, especially her, that no one has made before. There are other counsellors but they're too busy or they put things upon DS that he, being so shy, can't bring himself to fulfill.

Anyhow, it was good.

I'm still not taking him unless he remembers and asks me.

PainterWoman
06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Cowie-- Isn't it great when people understand you AND are nice? Cool. I think you did the right thing by DS, too. It is up to HIM to decide whether to make Eagle or not. If he has other things that are important to him, let him be responsible for the choice... (as long as it isn't CRACK or something!)

Kiwi--
Congratulations on having brilliant daughter who gets her talents recognized. Hope that slacker (?) DH (or is there another explanation for "finishing his job" in 3 weeks....?) manages without on-going project as well as old friends who are planning to be becalmed in DC/Baltimore. Wishing you smoothsailing however it goes!!

I hope everyone is past feeling carpy. Gives a whole new twist to carpe diem, doesn't it?

Didja all read Dear Abby about Marian the Librarian and her need for a PR campaign. I think folks who don't "act right" need to be told firmly (and preferably civilly) exactly what the standards are, the consequences, and then HELD TO THEM. DD was telling me about a TV program with people TRYING to get fired by the end of the day... (if they did they won big cash prize)... and how managers just got frantic rather than setting standards OR firing them... No wonder the service industries are going to H*ll in a H*ndb*sket!

Ya'll take good care of your sweet selves, OK? I've got three clients who think THEY have problems :lol: coming in tomorrow... then I'm cleaning my desk and office, pulling weeds and heading to the hospital so that MD's can help me retrieve my future!

Love to all. (I'll probably be on again tomorrow... so stay calm!!)

Wabby
06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Peach, it's the hardest thing in the world to let our kidlets experience the consequences of their actions (or inactions). You get the good parent award for the month. Hope DS pulls through for you, though.

My accountant lady was just here. I heart my accountant lady. She makes me feel competent. She tells me I'm doing a good job. For some reason I always have the feeling that I'm just not doing a good enough job. Owning your own business is hard. She told me so. She's right. Did I mention I heart my accountant lady?

Bagzz
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
keeeeeee----wonkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMAGINE ALL OF THESE AWARDS IN GRADE 11---SHE WILL BE ON THE STAGE THE ENTIRE EVENING IN GRADE 12!!!! BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!!----AND WHAT A GREAT GIFT!!!!---- get one for dh too ,maybe he will learn three more chords!!! tell him to sail up to New Brunswick----going through the Reversing Falls could keep him busy all summer!!!------PAINTY!!! ALL THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU TOMORROW----------------YOU'LL DO GREAT!!!! TAKE CARE!!!! XOXOXO

Kiwonk
06-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Painty, good luck tomorrow. I know you have a good attitude and I'm sure that will help. We're all behind you with our support. :cheer:

slacker (?) DH (or is there another explanation for "finishing his job" in 3 weeks....?Wellllllll, let's just say his attitude isn't as good as it used to be! When the paper mill went bankrupt and threw everybody out of work, he did not deal well with it and it was a very un-fun 9 months before he got a job in an entirely different field. That job was funded by federal grant and the grant has run out and there just isn't anything more they can squeeze out of it, so the job is finished the end of June. I mean, it's not DH's fault that the job funding is running out, but it's not exactly a surprise either.

Yay for accountant ladies. And insurance. We have to buy our own health insurance starting in July; that will eat up some big $$$.

Hey, good idea, Bagz. Sounds like reversing falls could be pretty much of an endless activity...

I saw that show last night about getting fired, it was sort of amusing. And sort of pitiful. If I had been one of those store managers, I would have been on the phone with the owner asking what in he** she/he was thinking hiring these psychos!

I'm so glad to hear that someone is stepping up to help DS with the Eagle Scout award, Peaches. I know how it feels to get the impression that nobody out there cares enough to actually do something. We are the midst of that right now. We got a letter from the GT program at school saying they recommended that DD place out of Senior English and take college English instead, so DH looked into it and all he gets is a list of reasons why the school can't do that (yes, I know, it was the school that recommended it! :shrug: ). People say they want to enable students but actually getting them to do it is something else indeed!

So. All medical endeavors today and tomorrow are slated for excellent results. Everyone on board? :drill:

Kiwi

Wabby
06-09-2005, 11:47 AM
It's a gluttony record. I've eaten my lunch by 8:45 am.

Cowpernia
06-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Not me. I've only had 8 cookies and 2 granola bars.

Appointment with Herr Docter resulted in another appointment for a ... I don't want to say it and can't spell it anyhow. Xray of the lower torso. Next week.

Kiwonk
06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I believe the medical term is "tummy look-see".

Don't feel bad Wab. I was getting into the habit of taking a nap in the middle of the day, so I was skipping lunch frequently, so I started eating breakfast shortly after I got up and did the kid lunch and/or drive to school, and then eating lunch about an hour later. Then I'd have a light snack in the afternoon, eat dinner and eat a huge snack around midnight. Totally messed up. Not to mention way too much food. I'm looking forward to summer (just 3 more days of school for DD) so I can sleep a little later and stop napping (heaven forbid I just go to bed at a reasonable hour, eh?). Only problem is I'll probably skip breakfast entirely. aaaaaaaaaghhhhhh I have no discipline.

What I do have is an earache. Blecch. Very congested.

8 cookies? Wow. Were they big?

Wabby
06-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Anyone interested in a hilarious but slightly off color video joke email?

Kiwonk
06-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Do you have a url I could go to to see it? My inbox is a bit limited (and slow).

It is so hot here, it's ridiculous. Last weekend the temperature swung 40 degrees in 2 days. Of course, it's always hot for Dance Recital weekend; it's a tradition. The kids put on 3 performances that each last 3+ hours and the auditorium is packed for every one of them. And not air-conditioned. I've quit going to the daytime Saturday one because it's unbearable, but tonight I'm sure it will be a sweatbox too. Yippee. I hope I remember to bring a water bottle. DD is in the last dance number. But I can't stand to miss the little kids at the beginning, so I'll watch the whole durn thing.

I have an earache.

How's everything? I wonder how Painty is doing?

Kiwi

SugP
06-10-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd love to see it but my e mail is really slow too, Wabs.

Nothing new here. Birthday present from my mother finally arrived (bread basket with matching napkins all made by her) and we went strawberry picking today - yum. Have eaten too much and must go to bed.

Sending healing thoughts to everyone who needs them right now.

PainterWoman
06-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Smooth sailing....
I am still a bit dopey, but the surgeon is happy with how my surgery went. She guessed that the cancer hadn't spread because of the way the injected dye didn't spread just all over the place. I DO hope she is right!!!! I have a big eggplant colored bruise in my armpit. It's a little swollen, but doesn't hurt much. The strangest part is how much my abdomen is stiff/sore. I feel like I did situps the whole time... No Way!! Oh, well, they DID give me strong pain killers, that make me sleepy. I think I'll go sleep through Dr. Phil and the evening news. Thanks for all your encouragement.

Bagzz
06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
yayyyyyyyyyyyy for painty!!! imagine posting just for us at this time---you are a serious Trooper!!!! good for you ! naturally we all are still sending out the best cow vibes ever
!!!! xoxoxoxoxo bagzzzzzzzzz who is slightly tipsy,since it's Friday and i had three Baileys with amaretto!!!hey kiwonk----it's still FOGGY and only 13 degrees=-==here is where we part the ways concerning WEATHER!!!!!!

!!!

PainterWoman
06-11-2005, 12:55 PM
The surgeon just called me… on a Saturday morning no less!!!!
My cancer was “only” stage I.

No lymph involvement. And they got it all… although part of the “margin” (which is apparently like a seam allowance when you’re sewing) is a bit narrow. At this point, if they decide to go back for a bigger margin, that’s fine with me.

Thanks for your support ladies...
I think I've indicated that I became a therapist because of a less-than-ideal set of parents... It just occured to me that I haven't felt so accepted and loved until all this happened and I let people know what I wanted/needed... AND THEY RESPONDED. Jeez it feels good to be cared about. Thank y'all so much. :love:

Cowpernia
06-11-2005, 01:16 PM
I can relate to that Painty and I'm THRIELLEDDD that you made it through and got such good news!!! Being accepted and loved is the key for me, too. Hoo ray! ! ! ! !!

Kiwonk
06-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Painty, I'm so happy for you! That's the best news ever!! :cp: :cb:

Birthday present from my mother finally arrived (bread basket with matching napkins all made by her) and we went strawberry picking today - yum. Have eaten too much and must go to bed.As long as all you're eating is strawberries, have at it!! Strawberry season is going to be really late here, they say, because of a cold spring, so we're getting them in the grocery store from other places now and in a few weeks we'll be able to pick some nearby. It could be a strawberry summer! I discovered I can keep them really fresh with my Foodsaver machine. I should go on their infomercial.

I cannot believe you are getting cool weather and fog, Bagz. I am absolutely dying of the heat. DH put a couple of fans in the windows last night, but all it is doing is blowing around hot air. It's not even sunny out, but I can barely breathe. If I sit perfectly still I can almost not notice it. However if I move, the sweat. Oh, the sweat.

Saw a wonderful movie last night. I'm sure you have all already seen it -- The Hours. I hadn't, but I picked up a used DVD for cheap recently and there wasn't anything to watch on TV, so we put that on last night. I warned DH it was a chick flick and sure enough he went to bed about halfway through. DD and I really enjoyed it though. Very thought-provoking. I thought Nicole Kidman was astonishing. So was Meryl Streep, but I always like her. The little boy was really incredible.

The dance recital was fab, going to see it again tonight and videotape DD's performance. Her group is so huge, I hope I can actually get her on camera.

Well, off to sweat a little more (you know, by getting up and walking into another room :rolleyes: )

Kiwi the Sweaty

Bagzz
06-11-2005, 09:16 PM
HOW ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL TO HEAR THIS GREAT NEWS!!! AND YOU HAVE BEEN SO FABULOUS THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE ORDEAL====SO CALM AND ACCEPTING!!!!THIS IS THE BESTTHING I HAVE HEARD IN SOOOOOOOOO LONG!!!! BRAVO MISS PAINTY COW!!!! :bravo: :bravo: :grouphug: :grouphug: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

PainterWoman
06-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Thank you. Thank you very much. You guys are the best! :cp: :cp: :hat: :cp: :cp:
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Kiwonk
06-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Hmph. Have you all noticed that someone's slider is reading in the 130's???? How long has this been going on? Do I need to come down there and take you out for pizza again?
:devil:

Dance recitals over. Heat wave still here. :faint:

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow, I woke up with the worst headache this morning. I can only assume that it's due to the ONE beer I had last night. Now, that's not even fair. One beer could be considered beneficial to a person; it should most certainly not cause pain. It just ain't right. Anyway, I have discovered that a cup of coffee, half a bagel with peanut butter and some orange juice, along with a couple Tylenol, do a good job to eradicate this wholly undeserved penance.

I really have nothing at all to say and as there's nobody here to say it to, I guess I will cease babbling and do something else.

Tata
Kiwi

Cherry Cow
06-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Yay Painty! I'm so glad you got good news!

Bagzz
06-12-2005, 10:44 PM
keewonkers====i have been known to be under the weather for half the next day in order to pay for TWO glasses of wine---indeed this is a travesty and we should report this to the higher power {or does the higher power want us to STOP drinking} let's just let it slide for now---if i drink amaretto or baily's i never get a headache---just a queasy stomach!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HAVING A HEAT WAVE!!!! IT'S EFFIN 15 DEGREES HERE ALL DAY LONG IN THE FOG--------------THIS IS NOT WHAT I CALL SUMMER!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP MEEEEEEEEEEE---------------------hi cherry-----and NO FAIR PEACHERS WEIGHING IN THE ONE THIRTIES----SOMEONE SEND HER SOME CHICKEN BONES!!!!

Cowpernia
06-12-2005, 10:54 PM
I weighED in the 130s. Leave me alone.

Here is the excitement on the homefront. DS has dug in heels and won't join church with me. I get that he is of a liberal persuasion and the conservative things he hears at church don't sound right to him. So I convinced him to go talk one-on-one with the minister. It should be very interesting. The minister, of course, is educated and can "prove" his beliefs with Bible verses. Ds is very analytical and won't be herded into any belief.

My opinion is that DS makes me proud by thinking for himself BUT there's a more mature way to approach this than he's ready for. A person's belief on any issue or set of issues does not make them worth or unworthy. I hope the minister can show him that.

I am thinking of canceling my medical thingie.

PainterWoman
06-13-2005, 02:17 AM
Cowie, Bovine Beauty, you. I am feeling good and FEISTY.
PLEASE do not let down your DS by canceling your medical thingie. You know you were worried. Get some info. Get some rationality. Ask the religious people to ALL pray for you TOO.... but there's that whole G*d helps those who help themselves... right?

I really tried to avoid telling my kids what to believe. I told 'em what I believe and sometimes asked them to come to church just because I wanted their company... but not because I "needed" them to look good, be good, behave, etc. And now, they are always still willing to do that when they're home, they've grown into ethical, moral adults... which is more than I can say for an awful lot of church goers... at least around here.

I hope that Arlene isn't blowing your socks off.

I'd be glad to be at two-thirty-something let alone ONE-thirty something. It's probably the barometric pressure that changed the scale.

Hugs.

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 07:27 AM
God also helps those who don't help themselves.

Painty, on a more pragmatic level, I look at the people who have stayed in church their whole lives and I see people who have had enviable lives. That's what I want for DS. I see people who care about each other (others in the church) and who stay married and who have things to do and purpose for living.

There are also people who have ethical, moral problems but that doesn't turn me off. There are fewer of them .. they're just more noticable ... and it is MY job, as a Christian, not to judge them.

I'll call the hospital today and find out what this thing will cost.

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM
ok I'm going through with it.

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Question: Do the doctors who read x-rays charge more or less than the hospital that makes the x-ray?

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Next question: Why isn't anyone else posting?

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 12:32 PM
OK, I am taking possession of the thread. Squatters rights.

Question: After this procedure, will I be ok to drive or must I take DS along?

Wabby
06-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Depends. does the "procedure" require any anesthesia or sedative?

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Welcome to my thread, Wabby. I called. They said I can drive but promised to make me miserable. "I'm not gonna lie to you. It's the toughest test we do," he said.

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
This is the kind of kitty I have.

fast kitties (http://www.siberiancats.com/race.htm)

SugP
06-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Those are some tough questions, Oh Gorgeously Skinny Thread Owner. I have no idea what's cheaper. I suppose the hospital could tell you. And make ds go with your for moral support and in case you feel queasy or something afterwards.

Sled cats! Wow!!

So glad you're up and running again, Painty!! See? Piece of cake. You're going to beat this with one hand tied behind your back.

I am still fat. And whiney. Can you believe it? The strawberries were fabulous. I ate tons and didn't gain an ounce.

PainterWoman
06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh, Cowie... tell 'em to fix you first and you'll pay later... Or they can HELP you pay.... Money is only a score card, right? But health is all we really have to work with... (well, brain cells too... and you've clearly got good ones of those...).

I think you should kick your doctor (where it counts) and say that it's just your response to his overly generalized (pessimistic) test.... WHAT are they going to do? Morbid, but loving, minds want to know.

I LOVE THE SLED CAT MUSIC. I am trying to get my cat to watch the clip, but she is acting like a Feline Cuisinart where I'm the potential coleslaw.

Do any of you know anything about PDF files? I have a great newsletter to post onto my website, but the darn thing loses it's "cute" illustrations when I try to convert it to PDF. I've been working on it 3 hours.:flow2:

AND I'm not pleased that Michael Jackson got off.... so to speak. Too much smoke (in my opinion) for there to have been NO fire. :flame: :flame:

Cherry Cow
06-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Thread owner, you should have DS drive you because that's what you go through motherhood for-- to have a chauffeur after they turn 16. You probably won't feel like driving anyway. (Congrats on the 130s, BTW.)

I was at Cub Scout Day Camp, so I didn't even know there was a Michael Jackson verdict.

Cowpernia
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
re pdf. "You have adobe acrobat and stuff?" asked DS.

Kick my doctor? I'm talking about the radiologist, a person I'll never meet. A person who will probably never enter Dogpatch. He will look at pictures from his safe haven of Milton, Florida.

Kiwonk
06-13-2005, 11:36 PM
---if i drink amaretto or baily's i never get a headache--Right-o! I'll go break out the liqueurs! Maybe a sombrero slushie? :cheers:

I ate at :mcd: today. :barf: My stomach hurts; serves me right I guess.

I'm glad you're going to have the test, Peachie. Always better to know what's going on than to guess. I think the radiologist is pretty expensive, but I don't know how you'd get any results without him. When I went in for my mammo, they informed me that I could now pay extra and have my mammogram screened by a CAD program (computer aided diagnosis) in addition to being read by the usual techs and dr. Gee, how nice of them to offer 2 levels of care! I declined.

Painty, on a more pragmatic level, I look at the people who have stayed in church their whole lives and I see people who have had enviable lives. That's what I want for DS. I see people who care about each other (others in the church) and who stay married and who have things to do and purpose for living. I totally understand what you're saying. I was brought up as an active church member and did all the sunday school/choir/youth group stuff and I always felt that I got a lot out of it. Mainly in the personal growth and social development sense. By the time I was in college I knew I couldn't be a professing church member, so I eventually stopped participating. I did take DD to church a number of times and supported her interest in going to sunday school with one of her friends, but she also knew where my beliefs lay (generally) and she lost interest after a while. I do think it can be an excellent community, but it's not the only way to be in a community, so I felt that I would just have to provide the values and support to her in another way. She seems to be doing pretty well, so I don't regret it. I can't wait to hear what happens with DS' meeting with the minister. I used to have intellectual discussions with the ministers in my church when I was a teenager--theology is very interesting to debate!

AND I'm not pleased that Michael Jackson got off.... so to speak. Me either. I think he should be locked up anyway. :s:

I don't have the software that lets you make pdf files, just the reader, so I can't tell you what the prob is, Painty. Have you been able to upload other types of graphics? Maybe it's the file type.

Ahem. My father was a radiologist. Youda liked him. He actually travelled between 3 small hospitals every week to read films etc., for most of his career. Course that was before internet. Now he is kicking back watching the sunset and sipping a Rob Roy, in a hammock on his 50 foot yacht in the sky, waiting for some lovely angel to bring him his 5 pound lobster for dinner, with a pail of butter. ;)

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-13-2005, 11:50 PM
I meant to post this picture. I think exams are stressing the poor child out, eh?

PainterWoman
06-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Cowie--
I hope that you get fast, definite results with your tests, AND that there is something simple, cheap and EFFECTIVE that can be done.
In the meantime, I'm sending you all sorts of best wishes!

Tell DS I do have Adobe Acrobat distiller and PDF writer (only "4"-- we're cheap) ... I did a test page and THAT works, but not the "real" document with lots more pix... I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe I'm having a clump of blond moments.

Kiwi... Yes, I think I woulda liked your dad, indeed. A boat, a drink, AND a lobster. Cool. (Have you read secret life of Lobsters... talk about odd ducks!)

I'm sending an infuriating anti-fat article to those whose email I've got... or you can find it in the Journals....Now... to bed.
Don't know where all my energy came from!

Hugs all.

Cowpernia
06-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Kiwi ... that hair ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Fix it back.

Now continuing on our theological discussion, have you ever been in complete, utter, devastating despair and not been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel? If so .. did you find yourself looking for God? In my situations, I did. Always. I'd be curious to learn an alternative.

It is wrong for Michael Jackson to be acquitted. Yucky-poo.

Time for Lushy to pop in.

Cowpernia
06-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Painty, I read that article that THAT'S THE KIND OF THING I mean. This woman is being unjudgemental, unloving and b*tchy. Is she looking at the mote in her own eye and suggesting a b*tch tax? NOOOO. I am DETERMINED to be a liberal Christian. Determined!! Maybe not "liberal" by some viewpoints but Democrat, at least.

Miss-I-Got-An-Idea-To-Help-Those-Who-Are-Not-Like-Me needs to talk to me.

SugP
06-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Now continuing on our theological discussion, have you ever been in complete, utter, devastating despair and not been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Every day, darling. Every day.

If so .. did you find yourself looking for God?

No. Never. My alternative is to look inside myself for what I need. Sometimes I find it, sometimes I don't. I was also exposed to large amounts of religion as a child and teenager but it never stuck. Like Kiweenie I could see the social, commnunity side of it, but the rest? Nope. Not for me. Of course that's not to say that God is not what YOU need, Peachy. To each his own. But I just figure that if you're asking and no one is answering, there's more research to be done.

Painty - that "fat tax" article was SO offensive. Either she was trying to raise a stink on purpose, or she's a really nasty piece of work who needs a good smack upside the head to jar her brain cell loose.

So Michael Jackson is free "man". Now what? I heard on the radio that his family want to host some kind of celebration here in Germany wherever it is they hang out when they're not being dysfunctional. Oh please. There's this case going on here right now where a 32 yr old male kindergarten teacher has been accused of sexually molesting 7 children over 200 times in the course of three years. This kindergarten is only a few blocks away from where we used to live. He has admitted to the abuse and now they're trying to find out what other children are involved. What a sicko. And now all the other male teachers who truly care for the kids are getting a bad name.

I have to go for a p*p t*st tomorrow and I have nothing to wear. Seriously. No flowered paper gowns at this doc's. First you have to take off your shirt and he does the top part of the exam. Then you get to put your shirt back on and take yer pants off and he does the rest. None of my pants fit. The fat squooshes out over the top. What should I do?

PainterWoman
06-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Do y'all know "mel" from the journals? She's in a wheel-chair, has a similarly disabled daughter etc. She actually used the email in the article and sent one hot reply. IT MADE ME FEEL SO GOOD. I am still to much in name calling mode to write her directly. I hope she gets so much e-mail SHE crashes!

When I was most most most depressed, I couldn't find God anywhere. I imagined myself inside a big, bronze statue of some sort... It was dark, and I was relatively small, afraid and definitely lonely. But there was also a "little sprout" of something growing up through a crack at the bottom of the statue... a little bit of a vine or plant or something... and I knew that THAT was enough.

That's as close as I've ever come to "knowing God" when I NEEDED Him/Her.
There's been other times when I felt great, when I knew I was in the presence of Something Amazing. It doesn't happen all that often for me IN church, though. Muir Woods? Every time. Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs, AR? Every time. Listening to Beethoven's 9th? Every time. Taking the time to draw or paint something with curiosity and patience? Most times!!

Kiwonk
06-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Kiwi ... that hair ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Fix it back.:lol: She had her hair in many very tight braids for the dance recital. I think she took them out Saturday morning and washed her hair and then braided them again; then she left them in until last night. When she finally unbraided them, they positively exploded! Hair is back to normal today.

I'm with Sugar. I can't say I haven't looked for the God answer, but my mind is just not built that way. I recognize that religious belief involves a leap of faith--you can't argue yourself into believing, from my experience. And for me, I can't reconcile the inconsistencies.

I'm starving; must go eat. I was so good today so far: I made oatmeal for breakfast, and had half a can of soup with carrot sticks for lunch. So now....

Kiwi

Wabby
06-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Oh my goodness, we're getting so deep here! I'm sort of a heathen. I've never been a church goer. Never raised that way. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt. However, I do have a spiritual side to me, just not into organized religions. I have plenty of friends who have long time marriages, happy families, are well adjusted and are non church goers. I think it has more to do with your philosophy for living and your basic morals.

Dang. I'm late for my nail appt. No time for deep thinking for me.

Painty, you sound absolutely radiant. Isn't good health a wonderful thing???

Bagzz
06-14-2005, 09:30 PM
if there is a God,will He let us into heaven even though we were doubting Thomases???hope sooooooooooooo.

Cowpernia
06-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Good morning. My procedure is in 1 hour and 20 minutes. That stuff they give you makes you lighter on the scales. And hungry.

I think you got to doubt Bagzie. "I believe. Forgive my unbelief," is one of my fav Bible quotes. I'm reading "Stealing Jesus" right now. Fascinating.

Now, I must go see if DS will be willing to act adultish and supportive this morning and not whine about being waked up early.

Kiwonk
06-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Hope it went okay, Peachie. :grouphug:

Cowpernia
06-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Pretty MOOSIEE. I got legs like that, too.

It went ok as long as the results are ok. I don't believe you weigh 195192 lbs. though.

Shall I adjust my ticker to what I weighed this morning?

SugP
06-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Peachy! So glad you got that over with. Did they make you drink that barium stuff? Bleh. I'm sure they will give you a clean bill of health and you'll feel muuuuuch better.

Nothing much to say. Tomorrow is our 15th wedding anniversary. Can you believe it? I can't. We're having sushi. I may get drunk but I'm not sure yet. NOT.

My gyn exam was fabulous. For an extra €25 I got a guided ultrasound tour of my female inner workings. Seems I have the ovaries of a 30 yr old. How exciting.

Cowpernia
06-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Sugar, this means MORE BABIES???? YAYYYY ... Little Sugarettes.

Drink the barium stuff. Well. No. There was barium stuff but they .. uh .. put it where they wanted it by themselves. They were so sweet and the male nurse or whatever he was kept apologizing.

DS has talked to the preacher. I don't get to learn about the conversation, OF COURSE, but his attitude is softened and he has a card in his pocket which you have to fill out to join the church.

LIttle Sugarettes!! i am so excited. Don't name them Paris.

SugP
06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Ah, THAT kind of test, was it? Nice. But necessary.

NO MORE BABIES!! Well at least not with this husband. :D :D You know, The Big Snip and all that. Can you imagined how cheesed off he'd be if I suddenly had twins?

I'm glad ds talked to the preacher. Now he can make an informed decision.

Kiwonk
06-15-2005, 02:48 PM
In kilos, no less...

Hmm, is your weight loss temporary? Will you be discouraged if your ticker is lower than actual? If the ticker reads too low, will your house be T.P.'ed by angry mobs?

Kiwonk
06-15-2005, 02:52 PM
apparently I missed the intervening posts. So I am replete with non-sequiturs. eh, what else is new? So I guess it is a good thing to have a 30 year old's ovaries. Probably delay the onset of chin whiskers.

My kid is cleaning her room. Is this normal?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
06-15-2005, 03:01 PM
My kid cleaned HIS room also. It looks so odd. He asked for a filing cabinet and put papers away. The rest of house looks like always.

Weight loss is temporary unless I continue in a permanent fast.

Kiwonk
06-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Well, then I don't think you should change your ticker. Will only get your house t-p'ed for nothing.

I think that maybe DD's cleaning spree was partly spurred on by my telling her that I would appreciate it if she picked up the stuff off the floor so that I could clean her room while she was gone. :lol: But the fact that your DS is also doing this makes me wonder if it's some 17 year old rite of passage. Is he going away for a long period of time soon? She's leaving on Sunday for a week, will only be home one day after that before going away for 3 weeks of summer@brown and then another week+ at the beach :beach:. So essentially she'll be gone for 5-1/2 weeks.

5 1/2 weeks. :yikes: Reality sinking in. :bb:

Kiwi

Cowpernia
06-15-2005, 04:08 PM
DS leaves Monday (6:25 a.m. .. yawn) to spend four weeks learning Japanese. Then he's home for a week. Then I take him to Gainesville for a two-day thingie for honors students (recruitment) then he goes to see his dad for a few days. It's less than 5 1/2 weeks so you win.

The number this morning was 137.5. That's with NO food yesterday and .. you know.

Wabby
06-15-2005, 06:52 PM
So I'm understanding that the procedure was a success, however not especially pleasant. Gotcha.

The reality sinking in here is that DS isn't going anywhere for the next 5 weeks. Hmm. He is starting to look at houses to buy, though. The only affordable ones are way far out of town in the next suburb further away from Portland. I'd like him to move out, but not too far away.

DD has cleaned my carpets and scrubbed my bathrooms, complete with interior cabinet cleaning and purging of old makeup and hair styling products. For money of course. I don't know who taught her to clean so well - not me.

Sugar, young ovaries.... there's got to be a punch line here, but I can't think of it. :lol:

Kiwonk
06-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Cool. Japanese camp. Hope he likes it. DD is going to political science camp. :dizzy:

See, that's where I've goofed up; I should have been paying DD to clean my house. I wonder how much I'd have to pay her. Too late now, she won't have time until August.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
06-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Kiwi-- Magnificent moose.
Sug... glad your ovaries are young and fresh... so what's that gonna getcha? Sorry that anything was going on that they wanted the ultrasound invasion.... I wonder if they'd charge even MORE if they vibrated.
Hmmm. Must be feeling MUCH better.
CowPeach... keep us posted. The medical tests are surely some of the biggest indignities heaped on venerable older folk.

Cowpernia
06-16-2005, 07:59 AM
older folk? Hrmph

Kiwonk
06-16-2005, 10:17 AM
heh heh

Kiwonk
06-16-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm going shopping today in the "big city". Any requests? What should I get for DH for father's day?

Cowpernia
06-16-2005, 10:25 AM
I'd like some big dresses in subdued colors and, for DH, a new knife and bottle of peroxide for when he cuts himself.

Cowpernia
06-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Just got a call to go into the doctor's office. Somebody hold my hand.

Wabby
06-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Peach -

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Bagzz
06-16-2005, 03:02 PM
peachers---------------come back here -------------we are all holding hands----------and i want some big dresses in loud colours-------------------xoxoxoxox

PainterWoman
06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
The important part was venerable

I'd like more good reads. And healthy take-out so I never ever have to turn on the oven in this @#$%^&^'d Texas summer heat.

Over and out. Off to the surgeon for next verdict.
O CowPeach, my fingers, toes, eyes are crossed.
Puhlease keep US posted when you get results, too, OK.

Cowpernia
06-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I think I'm ok except for a diverticulum.

The doctor, natch, suggested more tests because the xray didn't see some things so well but it saw the diverticulum RIGHT WHERE I HURT so that's that.

You can let go hands now and I AM SO RELIEVED

Cherry Cow
06-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Yay!

Bagzz
06-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh My Grandmother Had Diverticulitus And She Had Terrible Pain From It-------------she Had To Avoid Fried Foods And Nuts----nuts Get Caught In The Diverticuli------------------keep Off The Nuts!!! Congrats On Having That Over With!!! Good Girl!!

Cowpernia
06-16-2005, 08:39 PM
The doctor told me nothing about eating nuts. Or anything. And I ASKEDDDD. Thanks Bagzoie

SugP
06-17-2005, 03:39 AM
YAY!! :cb: :cp: :cb: Boy am I happy!

Wow, I bet you feel 1000 times better knowing what it is. Are they going to do something about it or just leave it?

PainterWoman
06-17-2005, 03:40 AM
CowsiePeach-- Um... so what next? Is this an intestinal issue or a bladder issue? (I did a quick Google.. and my ignorance is greater than imagined :lol: ) Apparently sometimes they manage pain, sometimes they recommend "life-style" (i.e. diet) changes, and other times it's surgery that does the trick. So. What's the rest of the story?

I had good news from the surgeon today.
No second surgery required!!! More details here. (http://journal_to_a_muse.blogspot.com/2005/06/good-news-good-news-heres-basic-update.html)

There's also the opportunity (http://journal_to_a_muse.blogspot.com/2005/06/do-you-know-this-plant-mystery-vine.html) to be of horticultural help.

Here I've done it again. It's nearly 3 am!! and I'm teaching a class tomorrow. Fortunately it doesn't start till 1 pm.
Sweet dreams all.

PainterWoman
06-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey, ya'll, say something!!

Wabby
06-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I'd say something but it would be negative and I'm trying to not be. It's gray. I'm in a slump. It's friday, but it's supposed to rain all weekend. OK, shaking it off....

Peach, YAY!!!!!! Glad it was good news.

Painty, YAY!!!!! No more surgery!

You know how you can be just crazy about your spouse, but every once in awhile you want to choke 'em? I'm having a choke 'em day.

Oh. and another reason I'm pissy - check out my updated tracker.

Cowpernia
06-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Wabby said pissy.

Now, back to religion. I have a dear 3-d friend who is anti-organized-religion and who is getting bent out of shape over my efforts to get DS to join the church. I think it's pretty funny. She tells me that SHE'S proud of him, and his age it's good to be "that way" (anti-authority), and how she found church people to be hypocrits when she was in her teens because they talked about peace but let their kids go to Vietnam.

This is all new to me ... this anti-church rhetoric and very amusing. I'm not turning him over to a cult or forcing him into a locked room with a priest. But I'm not done raising him and this is an experience and a background-component I want him to have.

That's all.

Stop talking about my bladder and don't ever refer to me old again or I'll beat the crap out of you. (I'm glad you're good healthwise though, Paintold.)

Kiwonk
06-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm so glad you have a verdict and are relieved, Peachy! Sorry I missed the suspense yesterday. I didn't get you any big dresses; how about a pair of wide shorts?

Excellent news about the surgery, Painty! Sorry, didn't get any books or healthy food either.

That's either a squash or a melon in the picture. How big is that fruit? The flower looks like a squash flower, but I can't think of any large round squashes except pumpkin, so my guess is that it's a melon, and there plenty of green melons. Does it have a smell at all at the stem end?

Spent a fortune on DD, or at least it seemed that way. Shoes, skirt, tops, bathrobe, rainjacket (okay, I only spent $8 on that..), art supplies, bottled drinks. She couldn't find a single pair of shorts that she liked that fit. That was ridiculous. All the typical clothing stores are showing almost nothing but skirts this summer, and when she did find shorts, they were universally too big. Normally she wears a size 5 pant, but the only things she fit into were 1s at some of these places! If she's now a 1 (believe me, she's 5 or 7 in reality), what on earth are those skinny little 13 year olds wearing -- -3s? Maybe they're coming out with clothes in fraction sizes. How dumb is the clothing industry anyway? They ought to scrap the whole system are go with actual measurements. Yeah, lady, you're wearing size 52 pants; get used to it. :lol:

Oh, I just looked up melon flowers, that doesn't look like it all. I guess Ruthxxx is right, it's a pimpkin. :lol: Did you have a Halloween pumpkin that rotted or got smashed? I have a very funny article about how to grow jack-o-lanterns; I have to see if I can find it.

Hey, look at this! (http://www.traversemagazine.com/photos/gallery/000953E.jpg) Says it's a white pumpkin!

Wow, would you believe there 25 files on my hard drive with the word "pumpkin" in them? And I only searched the small drive that I keep my saved files on (I have 2 much bigger ones). Anyway, here's the story. It's actually called Growing Gourds

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Gee, I'm being neglected. My funny attachment has had 0 views. Perhaps I'll whine.

Didn't buy DH a knife. Bought him a cool short sleeved shirt.

Gosh, Peachie, anti-church rhetoric is really new to you? Wow, not to me. Religion is such a volatile thing, it's bound to dredge up a lot of emotion. I know a number of people who feel that having been forced to go to church as a kid practically ruined their lives. Especially kids who were dragged to evangelical type services and subjected to real fire and brimstone stuff. I was brought up in a very liberal-leaning church and I still found a lot negative to say about it. But at least the fact that they were trying to involve youth and be tolerant of differing viewpoints helped keep me from hating it. Some of the things I hear of and see in other churches make me wonder why they still exist in a free society.

But anyway, you're not joining one of those churches obviously; I'm sure this one is welcoming and somewhat tolerant, right? So I see no reason not to encourage DS to join. Forcing of course would be counter-productive, but if he can see the benefits of the community, it would be worthwhile. Probably. ;)

How I do Babylon.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
06-17-2005, 11:12 PM
So glad that I am not encourage a variation of the "Eggplant that ate Chicago" in my backyard... (do you all remember that phrase?!! Was it a movie title, a song, or what....) The melon picked is cantaloupe sized, smooth and doesn't have any smell (yet!!) I think if I painted it silver I could cheat in a shot put competition......

There aren't any other little punkin's that I can see yet... I love the idea of scratching the names of the books of the Bible into them!! Hosea!! Amos!

Ciao. I have to check and see if DH, recently returned home from corporate travels is done making our reservations for MORE extensive travels next week!!

Cowpernia
06-17-2005, 11:16 PM
Events of today because of church affiliation:
1. woman picked up DS, took him to her and paid him $50 to trim some bushes
2. she bought him lunch at Sonic.
3. church choir director called DS to ask him to help out Sunday night by videotaping something.
4. woman from church called to see how test results were for me.

All good stuff. Getting DS involved in just wonderful.

Kiwonk
06-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Call me when they start showing up at your door when you're not dressed. :lol: Just kidding. I'm glad he's getting involved. 'Sgood thing.

Oh, you picked the thing, Painty? I once had a tomato plant sprout where I had planted a bean plant. The bean plant withered and croaked. I decided it was because I had put compost around the plant and that still had viable tomato seeds in it from the season before. :shrug: Nature is fickle.

Gotta go get ready for the final recital of the season--DD's guitar recital in Othertown. Her little student (age 8) is playing "Amazing Grace" also. Too cute.

Ta Have a good weekend.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
06-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Yes, I picked it... It was just bigger (even for Texas) than any think I expected in my back yard. The preponderance of opinion is that it would have been a pumpking... by October.... I think there were pumpking seeds in some rogue birdseed i bought after my favorite store shut town. There are lots more blooms and teensy "fruit" though... so there might be one after all.

I meant to get up early early and pull grass out of my flower beds. But I slept better knowing DH was home... so we went out for brunch instead. I'm suppoed to be cleaning my office...!! If it cools back down (and doesn't storm), I'll hack at the Dallas Grass later.

DH got plane and motel reservations made so we can go to Boston together this next week. I'm afraid to ask what it cost with such late notice! But I think he's aware that we should do things while we want to and CAN... rather than put everything off. That's the GOOD news about being faced with mortality!!

Kiwonk
06-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Nice! A trip! Next weekend we are taking a road trip -- driving to Rhode Island and back in one 24 hour period. :eek: Okay, that's not exactly a vacation. We have to leave at 2am, drive for 7 hours, get DD checked in at Brown plus have a campus tour and orientation and lunch, and leave around 3pm and drive home. Sounds pretty awful actually. The perils of being pressed for time and cheap as heck to boot.

Got back from the recital. It was very nice. DD's little student did a nice job on her song and DD was a smashing success. She played electric guitar and sang, while her teacher played the electric bass. She did a song by Clann Zu called "Ri Ra". This might work (http://www.goodspacemusic.com/ri_ra_clip.mp3) DD says it means "uproar" in Irish.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-19-2005, 06:26 PM
'sup? I've been to BigCity discarding my kid. I mean dropping her off at Girls State. Then I went downtown, bought a book at the used book store, took a walk, got coffee and a butterfly shaped cookie at Starbux and drove home.

I'm depressed already.

Kiwi

Bagzz
06-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Ohhhhhh Keewonkers----i Feel Bad About You Missin Your Girl====i Know How You Feel ---i Hate It When The Girls Go Away----although At This Point With The House Full I Am A Little Distant From The Sensation=====you Will Cherish This Coming Year Soooooo Much====but I Do Remember Feeling Happy--sad At The Same Time----especially When The Musical Finished----- I Don't Want To Make You Feel Worse,but Let Me Just Say,i Always Cried When They Left---but They Always Came Back---and So Will Your Little Sweetie!!!!xxoxoxoxo

PainterWoman
06-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Oooooh, Brown!!! My son's bestest JR. high friend went to Brown... as did several of my grown up friends... I hope DD loves it....

Having them thrilled at the wild big world seems to make them appreciate home more.

I was soooooooooooooooooooooo bored because I never got to leave my parents that the minute I had a chance, I fled!!

Best to all. Will be in BeanTown all week... and will snitch DH's laptop as often as possible.

I was down 1 more # this am. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Kiwonk
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
~weep~ Just kidding, I got over it. For now. Why don't I just come up and visit you, Bagz?

Way to go on another pound, Painty. Have fun in Beantown.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-20-2005, 03:25 PM
HEY! Where are you? I'm home alone. Rescue meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

SugP
06-20-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm heeeeeeere, Kiwi! Just busy doing stuff.

Hmmm,I can't even remember if my parents missed me when I went off to university. :lol:

I became one with my walking tape on Saturday and this morning but am still fat. Trying desperately to stay under the top number on my ticker. Bleh. Just ate some watermelon. Now I have a stomach ache.

Nice pimpkin, Painty! :D

Kiwonk
06-20-2005, 07:13 PM
I don't believe it ever occurred to me that my mother might miss me when I went to college (my father actually saw me more often than before because I was 1000 miles closer). I've a feeling I heard her say that she'd miss me and it didn't really mean anything to me. Obviously I was a self-centered twerp. I do remember hearing from my sister in law one time that my mom was worried that I was "on drugs" because my letters (yes, I did write home now and then) were "weird". :lol:

Lord, I'm pooped. I've been vacuuming and washing windows. Okay, I vacuumed the first floor and I washed one window. But that window took me forever because I had to clear off the counter and windowsill and a ton of cobwebs and then wrestle with the stupid window (we have horrible stupidly designed windows in this house). And of course, the window is so defective that even though it's now clean, it still looks dirty because there is some cr** between the 2 panes. :rolleyes:

Turns out that DD being gone frees up a whole lot of my time. :shrug:

I also found a flattened dead mouse in the mudroom. MMM good eats. :mouse:

Kiwi

PainterWoman
06-20-2005, 09:31 PM
I think my son had very mixed feelings about being the one kid left when his sister and step-brother had BOTH moved on to college... He tried to relish it... but I think all the parents focused on whoever was most visible. (He hid a lot!!)

My feelings of missing my daughter were based on my intention never to return home after I went to college... Turns out she doesn't want to go back to TEXAS, but she has nothing against me! What a relief!

It's come to my attention that remarks about "old folks" (or something similar) bruised some feelings... It is a defense mechanism on my part, OK? If I call MYSELF old, maybe I'll get used to it... and at 50+.... I'm no spring chicken.

Best to each and all.

Kiwonk
06-20-2005, 10:02 PM
This is what a famous blogger (http://www.dooce.com/) has to say about Canadians:
This is alls I got to say:

1) Y’all Canadians is NAAAAHHHCE. I have never in my life met a nicer group of people. People were nice to us EVERYWHERE, always talking and asking us if we were having a good time. This totally beats out the South when it comes to nice because in the South people are nice to you ‘cause they know they mama is gonna beat them back home if they ain’t. In Vancouver people were nice because THAT’S WHO THEY ARE. Except, they don’t have Super Target or TiVo.

That’s not a joke. You can’t pause live television in Canada.

Plans to relocate to Vancouver: TEMPORARILY DELAYED.

2) Lots of y’all wrote to tell me that y’all don’t talk like that, meaning: aboot! and oot!

Here’s the truth: YOU ALL DO. Stop the denial. I heard ABOOT more than a hundred times and then I lost count. It’s not annoying, in fact, I loved it. It made me want to package you all into little morsels and claim you on my customs form while going through the airport.

I just thought I'd share that.

:scooter: :bike: :moped:
Just because.
Kiwi

SugP
06-21-2005, 02:20 AM
I read that one too, Kiwi. Yeah, dooce finally had something to say that didn't focus around the fruit of her loins. :lol: I used to read her all the time but it's getting a bit old now, I find. YMMV I suppose I should learn to write like that first and THEN complain. :D

In one of my alternate lives I once met an adorable sailor from California who laughed his head off when I said 'aboot' and 'boot'. Hmmph.

Wabby
06-21-2005, 12:04 PM
In my loyalty to Plain Jane I don't read Dooce. Jane doesn't care for Dooce because she goes on and on about her adorable child. I've never read Dooce, so I really don't know.

Since I didn't go to university, or college as we Yanks call it, my mother didn't go through all that you moms are. I simply moved out when they asked me for rent when I turned 18. I figured if I was paying rent, I wasn't about to have a parent telling me when my curfew was. I remember feeling a little bad that I was leaving my younger brother and sister in the middle of my parent's battlefield. Out of 6 kids, I was the only one my parents charged rent. In fact my younger brother lived with them until he was 34, rent free. Do you detect a note of bitterness???? Naaaaaahhh. Moving out at 18 was the best thing that ever happened to me. I bought my first house when I was 21 and have managed just fine ever since.

Kiwi, I'd be happy to send you a new insulated glass unit. You don't have to replace your whole window, just the sealed unit. See? I know a thing or two about a thing or two. Of course, I have a fogged window at my house too. Just hasn't made it on the job schedule. You know what they say about the shoemaker's children...

No one has mentioned Father's Day doings. My DH must be right - he say's Mother's Day has Father's Day beat. All the hype is for Mom's Day and all the husbands know they'd better not forget it. Heee. He may be right. Actually he had a nice Day... gifts and cards from the kiddos, bbq ribs and yummy dinner from the wife, and no one asked him for any favors or money all day. ;) The weekend was a big eatathon for me. Friday night we went out w/ friends, Saturday I went shopping and out to lunch w/ gal friend, Saturday night we went to a bbq at some other friends, plus the Father's day food extravaganza. I been baaaaad. :devil:

I've been working on a headache for a couple days --- think I'll go down a couple more Advil.

Kiwonk
06-21-2005, 02:04 PM
So glad that I am not encourage a variation of the "Eggplant that ate Chicago" in my backyard... (do you all remember that phrase?!! Was it a movie title, a song, or what....) Believe it or not. (http://imagination.org/lyrics/the_eggplant.html)

Ah, Plain Jane or Dooce. No contest for me. I read both, but I read Dooce every day and I read Jane when I get around to it. Jane is funny and smart, Dooce is funny and smart. Jane is mean-spirited and doesn't recycle; Dooce is full of love and generosity.

Father's Day vs Mother's Day -- well, let's see, I got a hallmark book/card signed by DH and DD, packed in my suitcase that I discovered in Charleston. DH got a shirt that DD and I picked out together. Both involved forethought, but not a lot of commitment, but he got the better gift. Can you tell I'm feeling cynical?

Kiwi

Wabby
06-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Why do I not read Jane as mean spirited???? I just think she's honest and she makes me laugh. I :love: her.

Apparently the "procedure" I had done didn't work. I had to run home to change my clothes. Aunt Flo is vicious. Wonder if I can get a refund of my co-pay?

Kiwi, did you read The Mermaid Chair? Was it good? Should I go buy it? I just finished The Life of Pi. I highly recommend it. Didn't think I'd like it but I did.

Kiwonk
06-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I was trying to think of examples of Jane being mean, but I really couldn't think of any. I agree she is screamingly funny sometimes. She just rubs me the wrong way now and then.

Did they tell you you were done with Aunt Flo? What a bummer!!! Malpractice Malpractice :rollpin:

I started The Mermaid Chair, but I haven't gotten into it very far. I keep starting new books. I must have about a dozen partially read. Maybe I have Attention Deficit Disorder.

Well, I did a couple of chores this afternoon. Still haven't been outside. It is beautiful and sunny out. Really must go out and enjoy it. :sunny:

Kiwi

Cowpernia
06-21-2005, 04:56 PM
I didn't like or finish The Chair but I bought it because Wabby said we'd have a book discussion group so I feel she ShOULD read it.

When I read Jane, it bothered me that she talked so openly about her son's problems.

Mine is in Minnesota. They say he's having fun.

Kiwonk
06-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Still haven't talked to him, Peaches? DH had to go down to the coast today for a meeting and he called on his way back to see if I thought he should drop by Girls State where DD is, to drop off a document they needed for a scholarship application she submitted to them. Gee, you don't think he misses his little girl or anything? She'll be not thrilled to see a parental unit, I'll bet.

What did you not like about Chair?

Kiwi

Cowpernia
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
They won't let the kids use the phone. He COULD"VE called from the airport but that was his last chance. They did call all the parents today to let them know the kids arrived and are having fun. Everyone is having fun. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Mermaid Chair .. didn't like the voice. Stuffy to me. Talked down to reader? Didn't care about or like the narrator. Did enjoy the ONE chapter (before I gave up) that did not involve the narrator/main character but realizing that, put it down forever.

Wabby
06-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Well now I have to read it. Then we can discuss it. Or you could all read The Life of Pi. Did I tell you it was good? Since Peach has been on the organized religion subject lately, we could read The Red Tent. It's supposed to be good and it's been around long enough that you could get it from the library.

What I like about Jane is that you can tell that 1. her kids drive her crazy. and 2. She so poignantly describes her love for them that it can bring me to tears. I've had children who have not been easy. I know how screamingly crazy it can make a person. I admire Jane for being able to admit how difficult it can be. She doesn't sugar coat it.

mmmm. sugar coating. I'm hungry.

Kiwonk
06-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Wabbit, you make me laugh.

How very odd that the camp called all the parents. That one I've never heard of. Some places let kids call home and some places don't, but calling home for them is a new one. I suppose he can write letters? :lol3: About as well as DD can... I gave her a prepaid phone card--she's in a college dorm, so I know there are pay phones, but like I said, I'm not holding my breath. She will be having an interesting week, I feel sure. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Girls/Boys State programs, but they have them in every state. The whole idea is for all the girls to learn about government by forming their own. They are divided into towns (each wing of the dorm is a town) with dorky names like "Happiness" and "Charity" and they are also assigned one of 3 party affiliations. I think the parties are Federalists, Populists and .... hmm I don't remember. They run for office and hold an election for positions from local things to governor, and then run a legislature and courts. All this in 5 days. It must be a miracle of organization. The other thing is that it's all sponsored by American Legion chapters and other local organizations -- completely free for the kids! When we registered, DD got a big packet of information with schedules, rules, words for the daily singalongs. :rolleyes: When we checked in at the dorm, they gave her a key, and ID on a lanyard, a name tag, and a water bottle. We arrived on her floor, they gave her a sheet of poster paper on which she was supposed to make a sign for her door indicating a store or business, so that the hall will look like a town street. And that was in the first hour. That night they were going to hear from one of Maine's senators and tomorrow I think it is, the governor of Maine is speaking.

Sounds exhausting, doesn't it? Maybe DD will be elected something funky. I suggested she run for czar.

I had lovely packet chicken for dinner tonight. Marinated in garlic/shallot/lemon,OO,oregano, baked in foil with potatoes, green beans, mushroom and onions. La de da it was good.

Kiwi

SugP
06-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Yes, yes! I can contribute to the literary conversation - I have read The Red Tent and I LOVED it. Beautifully written and you learn so much. That's all.

Packet chicken sounds divine.

SO glad that Peachy's ds is safe and sound. Our ds12 is going off to camp for two weeks when school is out.

I like both Jane and dooce (and the other 57,000 blogs I MUST read every day) but I got a bit bored with dooce there for a while and only check in sporadically. She's a brilliant writer, though. Jane makes me spit my tea all over my keyboard sometimes. OK, most of the time.

Did Leslie again yesterday. That's three times since Saturday. My legs feel firmer but the rest of me is still jiggling. Bleh. Wabby - do you think that Adria chick in the back on the 3-mile-walk got that six-pack from Walking Away the Pounds? :lol:

Cowpernia
06-22-2005, 07:42 AM
What is DD's store?

What is the red tent?

What is OO?

When military people go to the chapel and put money in the collection plate, what happens to that money since the military pays all the bills?

Has anyone tried the Zone diet?

What kind of camp is Sugarboy going to?

What kind of person would restrict their 23-year-old engineer son to one hour of internet a week? (my boss)

I love my pink earrings.

Wabby
06-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I have big news. Huge news. Exciting news.

I'm going to be a Grandma. DS will be the papa. And yes, we're all ecstatic. No, it wasn't planned, but he couldn't have picked a nicer girl to be the mama. Yes, they're getting married asap. Yes, they're looking at houses to buy starting this weekend. No, this doesn't make me feel old - it makes me feel lucky.

Kiwonk
06-22-2005, 02:04 PM
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
GRANDMA WABBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hat: :woo: :cheers: :balloons:
Congratulations!!
It's our first grandbaby.
How totally cool will that be!!

I'm very excited for you (duh). DH's nephew is doing the same thing; getting married in August, having a baby the next day or something. I think they're even about the same age, graduated h.s. about 5 years ago?

What is DD's store?
What is the red tent?
What is OO?
When military people go to the chapel and put money in the collection plate, what happens to that money since the military pays all the bills?
Has anyone tried the Zone diet?
What kind of camp is Sugarboy going to?
What kind of person would restrict their 23-year-old engineer son to one hour of internet a week? (my boss)
I love my pink earrings.
I would not know, not having heard from the Darling D, as predicted. Perhaps I will find out on Friday at "Graduation"
In the Holy Land -- This is a must read -- I have a copy of it; it belongs to my mother, but if you want to read it, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you borrowed it
Olive Oil. I was too lazy to type it out.
I know nothing
No
I would like to know too -- my bet is he's going to good old German outdoorsy camp where he will hike and take in lots of fresh air
A controlling clingy person
That's nice.

La. It's 2pm and I've done nada today. Toodles.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-22-2005, 02:06 PM
And yay to Sugar for Leslie-walking. I went on a bike ride yesterday (almost killed me)

Wabby
06-22-2005, 02:15 PM
He's 22. She's (gulp) 19, will be 20 when baby arrives. They are in luuuuuuv. Crazy about each other, good to each other, I think they'll do fine.

SugP
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Wow, Wabby! That's excellent. You must be so excited. And what a great grandma that baby is going to have. You'll have to give us play by play details so we can live vicariously through you until it's our turn.

Kiwonk
06-22-2005, 02:21 PM
I know it sounds terribly young, but if they are well-suited to each other, I'm sure they can make it work. When's the due date?

Wabby
06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
The due date is February 26th. One month before DS's 23rd birthday.

Cowpernia
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
A baby !!!!!!!! Are we all remembering when ours were new and sooooo sweet and tiny?? Yay Wabbo.

Bagzz
06-22-2005, 10:07 PM
oh my gawwwwwwwwwwwwd!!!! what a great piece of news i have just read about our dear wabby!!!!!-----------------we shall all be cyber grannies to this baby and CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT WEDDING PLANS AND MENUS AND NEW BABY NEWS!!! CONGRATULATIONS DARLING WABBY FAMILY!!!

Wabby
06-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the congrats, Cowsies. Its funny - I was looking at baby furniture w/ my friend on Saturday who is a proud gma herself, lamenting about how I would probably never get Grandbabies, and poof! there you go. Just shows you gotta be careful what you wish for..... :D Of course you realize this is all I can think about, fret over, obsess about. I'm sure to drive you all batty.

SugP
06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
*runs off to knit some booties* :D :D :D

Kiwonk
06-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh goodie, someone else can drive us batty besides me.

Did I mention that my DARLING DAUGHTER CALLED HOME LAST NIGHT? Not to rub it in or anything. Apparently she tried the payphone and couldn't hear a thing or something, so she borrowed someone's cellphone.

I forgot to ask her what her storefront is called. She was running for State Representative from her Town and, never one to shy away from controversy, she had already drafted a bill calling for sexual orientation tolerance education. :lol: Yep, that's my girl.

MMMM I'm having broiled salmon and baked potatoes for dindin. And asparagus. Mmmm. You could have some if you stopped by.

Kiwi

Wabby
06-24-2005, 06:01 PM
MMMMMMMM. Just got back from going to lunch w/ my mom. She's waaay to young to be a great gma - again. We went to a little italian restaurant, shared a Baked Ziti, and made up for it w/ Creme Brule for dessert. Do you know why desert has only one s and dessert has 2? Because dessert is twice as good. :hun:

We're headed off to the lake this weekend w/ friends. It's supposed to be sunny and warm. This is what I'll be doing: :beach: and eating and reading.

Kiwi, I'm not surprised at all that DD called. They really need their mommas more than they like to let on.

Can you believe that next weekend is 4th of July???!!! Not that it means much to you international types. For youz Canucks - Can you believe next weekend is July????!!!! :sunny:

Kiwonk
06-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Ah, sounds like a lovely weekend, Wab.

Just got back a while ago from picking up DD from Girls State. She had a great time, made a lot of friends, totally got involved in everything. It seems to have been a great experience. She is utterly exhausted; her floor stayed up half the night the entirely week :rolleyes: . Now she has one day home to get ready for her 3 week long course at Brown. By Monday (after driving her down there) I will probably be so tired I won't be able to move a muscle.

I am very mad at DH for something he did this afternoon: He was driving down to the big city -- only an hour+ drive -- and when we got out of the car, he casually announced that he'd fallen asleep "a couple of times". I thought he must have been talking about some other drive; he'd had to do the same drive this morning because of a dr.'s appt. I couldn't possibly believe he meant he had just fallen asleep twice on the way while I was sitting right next to him! But that's exactly what he meant! Not once: twice. I mean, we were listening to the news on the radio, so hadn't talked for a while, but I had no idea. And what the **** was he doing continuing to drive, for God's sake???? I may never let him drive while I'm in the car again! I'm really pi**ed. I mean it's not as if we were both tired and I wouldn't have been in any better shape to drive than he was! I swear sometimes I think he's turned 80 years old instead of just 48.

Oh, by the way, if anyone has tried to email me since yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, my (stupid :censored: ) isp is having some horrible email problems and I haven't gotten any email since then, and may not for who knows when, so if you want to send me something, send it to my hotmail address.

And how are you?

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-25-2005, 12:35 AM
I want Creme Brulee.

Kiwonk
06-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Still here. Still no email. DD is having cramp-filled day. We're getting nowhere with her packing. Helllllllpppppppppppppppp

Cowpernia
06-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I cannot help. DS has been gone since Monday and the mail has come today and I have not heard from him. I am unhappy about this. PLUS the camp has a website where they post pictures and news each day. But in reality they posted news the first day and not since and no pictures.

I am mad mad mad. Does mad rhyme with fat?

Kinda, huh?

Cowpernia
06-25-2005, 01:26 PM
kiwi since you can't get email, I sent you one. Thought I'd let you know.

I'm watching the Sopranos.

Kiwonk
06-25-2005, 03:26 PM
In the middle of the day, you're watching The Sopranos? I'm telling.

Thank you for writing to me. I didn't get it.

It is beastly hot today. I washed the car. It did not cool me off. And I got big nasty bug bites. I'm going to go find pictures of the bugs that bit me. Because naturally I have nothing else to do.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
06-25-2005, 03:39 PM
mad rhymes with egad. And plaid. and triad. And Vlad the Destroyer. Mail takes a really long time from the northern states; we have to use dog-sled, you know, and when there isn't any snow, they are really slow.

Here we are: The Miserable ******* Fly (http://www.cals.ncsu.edu:8050/course/ent425/text18/deerfly.jpg)

Kiwi

Bagzz
06-25-2005, 06:07 PM
No Way I Am I Clicking On A Picture Of A Fly---i Hate Them Sooooooooo Bad~!!---hahaha ---everyone Is Suffocating With The Heat But Here On The Coast --noooooooooooooooo----i Am Chilly And Need A Sweater---20 Minutes Out Of Town It's 30 Degrees,here It's About 16------------fat Rhymes With Me.today I Ate A Falafal Wrap---very Yum,i Bought Taziki {???} Hummus,and Tabouleh From The Turkish People In The Market---just Ate That Right Now----i Guess I Must Smell By Now-----------i Sent Peachbutt's Ds A Card---hope He Likes Old Lady Cards!!!!!

Cowpernia
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Bagz you SHOULD look at the fly. Kiwi photographed it as it sat on her .. chest or something. Kind of x-rated. Speaking of which, why are all the Sopranos episodes populated by unclothed dancers?

Thanks for the card Bagzbutt and thanks to Kiwibutt for defending DS when he may have sent a card by chihuahua sled.

I am home and lonely. Remember the old codger I shared an office with? He passed away years ago and he had a brother but I never knew the brother and old codger made the brother sound like someone not worth knowing. Someone just told methe brother IS worth knowing. Now, I want to know him. Someone go catch him for me.

I ate hummus today too. And yoghurt. And ground flax seeds. And turkey. And mushroom cooked in OO.

I hope it's chilly where Ds is so I can be right about the 3 blankets he had to take. He said he only needed 2 but the literature INSISTED on 3. My Michigan friend says 2 is enough. I want to be right.

Cowpernia
06-25-2005, 06:34 PM
this happened where I would go to the beach if I went to the beach. Very sad for the child.Place to click (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050625/ap_on_re_us/shark_attack)

Kiwonk
06-25-2005, 11:41 PM
That's right, it was just about to bite my big hairy chest. :rollpin:

In answer to your question about the Sopranos, the unclothed dancers are there to entice men who would be likely to think a show called "The Sopranos" was about opera.

How do you eat flax seeds? Make them into linen, fashion a lovely bonnet out of it, and then eat your hat?

That's horrible about the shark attack. Don't go swimming there anymore, Peachie. I know it's hard for you to resist, but really, safety first. ;)

Is old codger's brother younger than old codger I hope?

I would say I'm sorry about your cold weather, Bagz, but I'm really more jealous than sorry. Hard to believe it's such a difference between the coast and nearby inland. We had a thunderstorm this afternoon/evening, so it cooled down a bit. I have to start driving to Rhode Island in 2 1/2 hours. I don't really see much point in going to bed. I think I will just take a shower and wake everyone else up and go.

How come I don't have DS's address to send stuff to him? Oh yeah, I would procrastinate until August. I missed one of my nephews' birthdays because I keep putting off looking up the date. I am not a very reliable person apparently. However if you need me to get up at 2 in the morning and drive for 8 hours, I'm your girl.

My stupid ISP seems to have email back working - after 2 1/2 days of no email - but my mailbox is flat empty. Seeing's how I'm on a voluminous mailing list and My Friend Peaches wrote to me, I think they are hiding bags of mail somewhere.

There is a gnat in my water glass.

I had manicotti for dinner because DD likes it, but I cooked it too long and it was a little blah. And I had bought some portabello mushrooms, so I sauteed them too. But the only way I know how to make them is to marinate them in teriyaki before sauteeing them, so we had Italian with Japanese. They don't go very well together.

Tomorrow night when we get home from the marathon drive, I know just what I'm going to make for myself for a snack. I have about one serving of fresh asparagus and a little container of lemon butter in the fridge. Mmmmm

Kiwi, the Babbling

PainterWoman
06-25-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm baaaaaaaaaack. We flew through thunderclouds and it was awesome and barely bumpy. I visited 3 yarn stores in Massachusetts, had a "lobster tail" in the North End. (they are totally worth blowing your diet for!! Crispy pastry that is shaped like the tail of a lobster, but which is then filled with a creamy, sweetened combination of 3 creams.... probably moscarpone, whipped cream, perhaps alittle ricotta... anyway... YUM) as well as tortellini bolognese at a sidewalk cafe kind of place only 1 block from DD's new 2nd floor flat. Also got to hug DS who came to Mass with his girlfriend to see his father et al and grab a couple of leisure days near Damariscotta, ME. She's cute, he's growing up more and more and more.

I wish I didn't have to come back to "the real world" and contend with dust, bills, dirty linen, etc. I could easily live in a hotel and have daily maid service!! Especially when there were artists colonies within an hours' drive in every direction.

Cowpernia
06-26-2005, 08:21 AM
WB Painter.

Kiwi, I am resending you DS's address and the other thing I sent you. I hope you appreciate the trouble I'm going to.

Since getting my diagnois a week ago and deciding to handle this by eating right, I've put on three lbs. Egad.

Cowpernia
06-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Flax seeds are ground and I mix them with yogurt or soup or anything. They have no flavor. The Codger Bubba is younger. However, I don't know him.

It's time for breakfast now. What can I have that won't make me rounder in the pants?

Bagzz
06-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Yogurt And Fruit ------------------ I Eat It Almost Everyday Now And Even Timmy's Is Selling Berries In Yogurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!poor Kiwonk---i Hate Driving So I Would Go Bonkers With All That Travelling While Tired----hopefully She Won't Pay Back Dh And Go To Sleep On Her Turn!

Cowpernia
06-26-2005, 03:18 PM
KEEWEE . I resendeth your email this a.m. It was not delivered and here's why:

Recipient address rejected: No such user