100 lb. Club - Anyone else have/had 200 lbs or more to lose?

kaplods
06-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I can't wait to "only" have 100 lbs to lose. This is my last ditch effort before pursuing weight loss surgery. I've been trying to give up white flour and sugar almost entirely (it's hard when they're in almost everything). I've noticed that I'm not as prone to uncontrolled binges on a moderately low carb (whole grains whenever possible) diet, and my pain and fatigue from my fibromyalgia are much reduced. You would think it would be easier to stick to a diet that makes me feel this much better, but old habits are difficult to control. Yet if I had a deadly nut allergy, you would bet I would be able to give up peanuts rather than eat that pbj and have to be rushed to the hospital. It seems just as illogical for me to eat dessert two days in a row, knowing I will feel really sick the third day, but I've done it. Back on track now, but this is ridiculous.

Gardenwife
06-01-2005, 07:49 PM
My hubby, Howie6267 here, has lost 202 so far. His original goal is to lose 245lbs and then take it from there.

Instead of giving up flour, you're doing well to switch to whole wheat products. Carbs are not bad in and of themselves, for our bodies need them. The thing is to eat the right kind (unprocessed ones) as much as possible, like whole grain pasta, brown rice, bread, veggies, potatoes.

I bet Howie'll be along here before too long. He and I sometimes wish we were allergic to pizza. I hear ya!

treefrogtoes
06-01-2005, 08:02 PM
I have 142 to lose to be at the high end of my ideal height/weight range. I've lost 57 pounds so far, since Jan of this year. It's no joke when you hear 'lifestyle change', rather than diet. You really need to change your thinking long term. There are many inspirational people on here and we're here to help! Good luck on your journey!!!

Solus
06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I have more than 200lbs to lose. It's hard to be happy about the 16lbs I've already lost when I have so far to go.

I have also cut back refined carbs and sugars. I have not entirely eliminated sugars, but I am trying to stick to natural sugars like what is in fruit and veggies. I also go for whole grain type products. The less refinement the better.

It really is a lifestyle change. My main goal is to be healthy, and fortunately the desire to lose weight coincides with that goal.

PS. even though it will be a small victory, I will be glad when I have "only" 200lbs to lose.

howie6267
06-01-2005, 08:18 PM
It is hard when you are looking at the big picture. I broke mine into 10% segments and tried losing 10% at a time. It worked a lot better that way and the pounds added up really quick. Just keep at it you can do this. Before you know it you will be at a 200 lb loss.

kaplods
06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
It's good to hear from those in the same boat. I started at 393 and am at 368 now. I've been on the super low carb diets, and they're insane, and I don't buy the premise. Come on, no one ever got fat on carrots. I eat any fruit or vegetable I want, try to keep protein in normal portion amounts. If I get hungry between meals, I try to eat fruit, veggies, yogurt. If I get a "hunger" headache, I make sure there's at least a little carb in the snack, but otherwise eat no more than one serving of carb per meal (starchy veggie or grain - preferably whole grain).

So far it's been working really great for me. now I just need to start making sure I get more than one day of exercise in per week.

howie6267
06-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeh the exercise is a hard one to get going. I still strugle with doing that. Sounds like you have good plan in place and are doing great. Keep up the good work.

kaplods
06-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I am off to a good start, I think. Keeping it going is going to be the trick!

djs06
06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Not here, but I wanted to pop in and wish you good luck on your weight loss journey! Tell us some more about yourself :)

ArmyGirl1974
06-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am wishing you good luck with your journey. These boards are a great place to help us put our "problems" into perspective. At 300 pounds, I am the heaviest peson at my place of employment, the heaviest person in my family and usually the heaviest person around wherever I am. It is good for me to see posts from people who have more weight to lose than me who are handling their own sitations with grace and dignity. I usually handle mine with a lot of whining and complaining. There isn't a doubt in my mind that I could weigh 400 pounds or more, it just hasn't happened to me yet. (I remember the good old days when I would think to myself "I'll never go over 200 pounds!") I am, for once, trying to set a modest, attainable goal for myself...4 ounces. I want to lose 4 ounces today. 365 days of losing 4 ounces a day is about 90 pounds. I can live with that. Pam

Jo
06-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I started out at over 350, got down to about 215, now I'm back up to 284 :( I'm starting over again . . . seems like this has been a pattern my whole life. I have seriously considered weight loss surgery because a) I've never been able to get down to a normal weight and b) I've never been able to maintain a loss for any amount of time. My brother is getting married next June and I'm going to be one of the bridesmaids. I would really, *really*, like to be under 200 by then. Anyway, I can totally relate to your struggle.

Inca's Momma
06-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I hit my all time high of 340 last June. I was down to around 300 when I got pregnant and still hanging at around 305-310. Hopefully once this baby gets evicted I can continue to lose and get down into Twoterville again :p But in answer to your question I don't have 200 to lose but at least 170 to get to a desirable weight. Good luck and stop in often.

Keillynsmom
06-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Hi, Kaplods!

I started out at 374 and have managed my way down to 276 (as of this morning). Two more pounds and I've knocked off the first hundred. I've done Optifast before (3 times) and always gained the weight back. Now I'm working out ~5 times a week (alternating upper and lower body for 8-10 exercises), walking 3-5 miles a day, and going low carb. I plan to shift the diet soon -- go from Atkins, transition with South Beach, then go back to low fat/balanced diet (still probably a little heavy on protein because I want to rebuild the muscle I lost from Opti). I've been working on this for a little over two years so it hasn't been an amazing weight loss story but I'm more confident that this is the last time I'll be doing this.

So I still have ~136 lbs to go. At the end of the journey, I hope to have lost 234 lbs. This is doable.

Sheila53
06-03-2005, 02:27 PM
At my Weight Watchers meeting where I used to live, there was a woman who had lost 254 lbs. the last time I saw her, and she had about 80 more to go. Losing all that weight changed her life significantly. Even just the "little" things like being able to walk a few feet without oxygen was a major triumph. She had numerous health problems, obviously, and after losing so much weight, she started college and was on her way to a career in the medical field. She was quite an inspiration to everyone.

You CAN do it!

barbygirl43
06-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi and welcome. When I started out I had about 145 to lose. Still have over 100 to go. I too had to start breaking it down from the big picture over well over 100 pounds to lose to concentrating on even 1-2 pounds at a time.

kaplods
06-03-2005, 08:30 PM
djs06 - I did submit a profile on the profile page. I'm 39, married for 2.5 years, currently staying at home, but have a master's degree in psychology and a certificate in computer programming.

It is so inspiring to hear other people's stories. It can be hard to relate to someone who has 10, 15, or even 75 lbs to lose. I know their struggles are real, but it's like having cancer and trying to sympathize with someone with a cold. The last couple days have been a challenge.

My husband is wonderful, and tries to be supportive, but he's been unintentionally sabotaging the last couple days. He brought home crescent rolls (my absolute favorite guilty pleasure in a tube), and lemon pastries. Just when I had finally rid the house of almost all unnecessary carbs. I did well resisting at first, but ended up eating my share. Frustrating!

I know he is a carb junkie himself, and although he is eating far fewer junk carbs than he once did, he couldn't stand the house being snack carb-free.

I'm getting a bit scale obsessed. The daily fluctuations are driving me crazy. I know I shouldn't weigh daily, but it's become such an obsession I end up giving in. Knowing that I'm not going to resist, it's been better to weigh in at the beginning of the day before meals and fluid intake affect the number.

I'm hoping the metformin that the doctor prescribed for insulin resistance is helpful.

Part of me wants to try for the WLS, but I know that if I can lose without surgery, I might be able to one day be completely free of health concerns. It's a big prize to shoot for.

howie6267
06-03-2005, 11:28 PM
You can do it Kaplods. One thing I've seen with the WLS is people lose maybe 100 to 150 in the first year. I've done that without the surgury. I know everyone does not lose that fast but give it a try. I think WLS is great if you have too. I also think a lot of people give in to it to soon though too. They are looking at it like a quick fix instead of a last resort. I just would not want to go through that. That's a lot of pain and suffering that can be avoided.

On the scale issue I would just try weighing once a week. We go to our doctors to weigh in. I know how addicting that can be but give it a try.

Sandi
06-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Does 181 lbs to lose count????

Yes, having so much more to lose than others can make it hard to relate. That's what I love so much about the 100 lb club - we all have so much in common!!!

the scale thing can be a big trigger in mood for me, so I weigh in once a week at WW and that's it. Otherwise I stay off completely!

Welcome to our group. Keep it up - I know WE can do this!!! :D

Jillegal
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
There's a lady at my Weight Watcher's meeting who joined less than two years ago. I'll never forget her first meeting - she arrived needing to lose 223lbs. and was wearing a teeshirt emblazened with "Does this shirt make me look fat?" Grace has been a source of humour, motivation and inspiration ever since. Yes, she's now lost over 200lbs. and has 20lbs. to go to reach goal. She looks marvelous and says she feels fantastic. She still has that teeshirt and wears it to meeting every so often, but you can't read it anymore because the shirt falls into folds and pleats because its sooooo darn big on her. If Grace had a computer I'm sure she'd come here, post and tell you not only does she know it can be done, but that she has no doubt you WILL do it! C'mon, prove Grace right! :D

Gardenwife
06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Wow, what a cool story, Jillegal - I love it!

kaplods
06-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Yes, JacobsMommy, Close enough! Wow, this thread has really helped. When I see those idiotic diet ads on tv where someone loses 15 lbs and NOW can be seen in public in a bathing suit, I want to scream. It is terrible that in our culture 15 lbs can keep a woman from enjoying the water. but personally, I will be tempted to wear a bikini when I hit 200 lbs (ok, probably not - but at least I'll pick be able to pick a suit that doesn't cost more than my highschool prom dress or have six inch flowers and a skirt to my knees).

cecilyisworking
06-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Amen, Kaplods! What is WITH those ginormous flowers?!! Obviously someone forgot to tell the larger-sized bathing suit makers that BLACK is slimming...

animequeen
06-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I had 170 pounds to lose and I couldn't agree with Howie more. You have to break it down - set small doable goals for yourself and when you reach them make another.

I've lost 47 lbs now and I have 123 more to go. Right now I'm looking at 10 more pounds.

Good luck on your journey. I know it seems like it will take forever to get the weight off but what else have you got but time in that regard. Whether you are working on getting rid of the weight or just living with the weight the clock keeps on ticking.

You can do it!!!

dowsx4
06-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Hello, I am an oldie returning after a very busy few months. My starting weight was 344 lbs and I am hoovering right now between 155-160 lbs. I started my weightloss joureny in january 2003. It is possible and I was very overwhelmed to think of all I had to lose so I also broke it down into 10 lb incriments. Good luck on your journey and you can do it!

Gardenwife
06-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Wow, dowsx4 - good for you! Welcome back!

kaplods
06-09-2005, 01:37 AM
cecilyisworking - It seems each manufacturer has one or two attractive suits, that are limited to one per size. These also have the highest price tag. The big flowered suits are punishment for being too frugal or waiting too long to be able to buy the "prom dress" swimsuits. Also because there are so many hideous suits and so few nice suits, they can charge twice as much for the nice suits knowing women will pay the outrageous prices out of fear that if they wait only the hideous suits will be left (which is true).

boiaby
06-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi Kaplods, I've managed to lose close to 200 lbs. through good old diet and exercise. And while I realize that WLS may be the only viable option for many people, I also know that WLS is, by no means, an easy way out and it is an extremely hard road to follow. I am truly relieved that I was able to accomplish my goals "old fashioned way" For me, it really is all about choosing a new way of life. I don't believe in giving up anything and since this is something I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life, the idea of never allowing myself to have certain foods again is just out of the question. We are not trying to punish ourselves here, in fact just the opposite. Think of all the rewards we'll reap from living long, healthy, active lives! So remember, no matter how you do this, as long as you just do it and in the healthiest way possible, is all that really matters. Everyone has to find their own way, and you will find yours. Good luck and remember, this really can be done!!

Beverly

starcity
06-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi Kaplods,

I have just joined this site and am starting my last weight loss journey also. I am 24 and weigh 340 pounds. My goal is to cut my weight right in half and reach 170 pounds. It's going to be tough, but aren't all of these people inspiring? Let's link arms and do this together! We both have a community of people here for support and encouragement, and that excites me!

I couldn't agree more with your comments about swimming suits! Over the last several weeks I've undergone a horrible time at trying to find a swimming suit to cover all that needs covered. At the beginning of June I joined a water aerobics class with my mom and sister -- and just finding a suit that would allow me to do the workouts was a challenge in and of itself. Ohhh at last, however, I found one. Water aerobics is one of those activities that I've always wanted to do, but fear of people seeing me in a swimming suit has always kept me from taking the leap. My family, however, held my hand and took the leap with me -- and it's been fantastic. And once your in the water nobody knows the difference! I highly recommend water aerobics if your looking for a form of exercise. It's so much easier on your joints and it's wonderfully fun!

I truly wish you the best! You're doing great so far -- keep it up! We all can do this, I sincerely believe so. And for those who have already been successful... thanks for being shining examples! I'm proud of us all for being honest and coming here to share both our fears and successes!

~Kristy

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro6/fireworks01/lb/340/170/340/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

cecilyisworking
06-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Welcome, Kristy!! You seem to have a terrific attitude! I look forward to hearing more from you! Good luck!

kaplods
06-22-2005, 05:15 AM
hi starcity,

water aerobics sounds fun. I've been wanting to join the fibrocise water class (an adapted class for fibromyalgia sufferers) in my area, but the times are never convenient.

I love the water, and it's one of the best exercises when you're overweight. We criticize the middle east where women must be covered in public, but is it really that different than some of the "unwritten" rules in our society. It's really a shame we have a cultural belief that you must be thin and perfectly proportions in order to have earned the right to expose skin in public. No matter how hot it is, we must wear tops with sleeves and pants that come to at least mid-knee, and never, ever show any stomache. I'm not saying I want to parade around half naked, but I don't remember a summer that I didn't sit around in heavy jeans and t-shirt, sweating my big butt off, wishing I were thin and could wear shorts and a halter - or wearing shorts and a tank in the privacy my backyard ready to bolt indoors if any of the neighbors came outside.

SuchAPrettyFace
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I'll never forget her first meeting - she arrived needing to lose 223lbs. and was wearing a teeshirt emblazened with "Does this shirt make me look fat?"I have one that says I BEAT ANOREXIA. ;)