General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #1  

Talking lane bryant models....

Ok, just thought this was kinda funny and wanted to point it out. I was always under the assumption that Lane Bryant catered to larger women (14W-44W to be precise), but I couldn't help but notice when I looked on their online catalog today, that all of there models look like regular sized models (under size 14 that is) and they just look like they are swimming in the clothes that they are modeling. I mean really is that supposed to make us want to by these clothes??? Are they saying to us "hey if you buy these look at how tiny you will look in them" hahahaha, yeah just wanted to rant about that to someone.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:21 AM   #2  
Future Goddess

I hate that!! As if there arent plus size models out there they could be supporting!! I have a love/hate relationship with Lane Bryant... they have cute stuff sometimes, but its so expensive! Who wants to pay 15 bucks for a pair of panties??
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM   #3  

Many times LB is the only show in town for younger styled clothes. I personally think the quality of much of their stuff is crap, but some of the foundations pieces are good. People are willing to pay their prices...good ol supply and demand. If I had any business savy, there is a HUGE (pun intended!) market out there for size 12+.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Okay, so I'm not an expert on modeling or anything, but what I've picked up from watching America's Next Top Model (I know, a great source of info ) is that similar to "regular-size" models, who are waaaay smaller than normal people, plus-size models are smaller than plus-size people. A regular model probably wears a size 0 or a 2, while the clothes they are modeling are sold to people who wear size 6-10 mostly. A plus-size model wears a 12 or 14, while their clothes are sold to people wearing 18-22 or thereabouts. Also, the plus-size models have to be in good shape, be kind of muscular, and not have blobs of fat hanging out.

I wish we could just have models who look like normal people, but the industry doesn't seem to work that way.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #5  

Perhaps Lane Bryant should be like Walmart and use their employees....it would certianly make me feel better!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

lane bryant is so goofey even their maniquines and dress forms in the stores are a size 12 but they don't even sell size 12 so they pin the clothes tighter and they always look nice. but then you try it on and its l ike so unfitted and gross. but I do get my jeans there because their boot cut low rise jean is pretty nice.....what can you do.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #7  
PR Aug 2005

Good Morning,

As I used to work for LB many, many years ago and this was one of my biggest pet peeves. I couldn't help but smile at this comment. I was one of the loudest voices while working for them about this same issue. They use to claim that people out in the market (which in my opinion they should have only cared about the people shopping in their stores) did not want to see big size models. I stopped working and shopping at LB many years ago because I felt they did not care about their clientele but only the money, I then started shopping at Ashley Stewart who uses full sized models that look gorgeous in their clothes. Being able to see what something is really supposed to look like on you is very important to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #8  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker
Who wants to pay 15 bucks for a pair of panties??
I ditto that one! And I find that when I go into their stores, the sales people are "over-the-edge" pushy."

Granted, if I want something nice to wear, I will typically go there, a they do have a bit more selection for overweight gals.

On occasion, I will find something nice at JCPenney.

I have to say, my husband has even made comments about their catalogs having skinnier women modeling the clothes. He's like "that's not what it's going to look like on someone bigger."

Also, 2 more cents I must add: I've bought a few "lemon" items of clothing there, as well.

Anyone shopped at Catherine's???
Old 06-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #9  

DISCLAIMER: This post is ONLY MY OPINION!!

I must admit that the ONLY clothing I will buy from Lane Bryant is the underwear!! The panties ARE outrageously expensive, but they're almost always buy 3 get 3 free, plus they used to have good coupon deals on top of that (although I've noticed lately that their coupons suck).

But, and I'll probably get jumped on for saying this, their clothes are too "slutty" for me. I guess I'm just a prude, but I don't like shirts cut down to my stomach. I know I should be proud of my looks, but sheesh, Lane Bryants (or at least the ones around here) carry clothes that show so much skin.

Before my friend lost all her weight she shopped for WORK at Lane Bryant and I was just amazed at some of the clothes she got there to wear in her profession (she's a chemical engineer). They were so lo-cut and showy.

I much prefer Catherine's to Lane Bryant because the clothes are more "mature" and professional to me. BUT BUT BUT I do like the clothes that are carried in the Lane Bryant catalog!!!! Sears has also improved their plus-size clothing in the last few years. I like some of the larger Dillard's stores, too (actually, I'm a Dillard's shop-a-holic), if they carry Tommy, Ralph, etc. My local Dillard's, though, only sells "old lady fat clothes." I still find stuff there I like!

And since this has turned into a soapbox ramble, I'll sign off now!

P.S. This old prude (yes, I realize how I sound) is 29-years-old.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #10  

Cool

I'm not fond of LB using thin models for plus sized clothes. I feel a little sorry for the models sometimes trying to make mother hubbard clothes look good. My beef with LB is the tacky fabrics and styles and their poor workmanship. Also their pricing games. They often try to make you feel something is discounted when it isn't, then add "shipping and handling" charges. I do buy from them from time to time, usually when they have free shipping or some other kind of discount. For better quality, I order things from Making It Big, a plus size catalog. Their somewhat pricey, but they use "real" plus size models and their clothes are high quality. There's another Plus Size catalog, Plus Woman, that's worth checking out. They use real models and will make clothes to order. They adjusted the sleeve length on one item I ordered. That's a real plus for me.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #11  
Almost There..

When I saw this post, I thought you were talking about Torrid, lol.. I'm still half-asleep.

I've never been to a Lane Bryant, but I checked out the website. I assume some of it's the retouching on the photos, but it's still annoying. I just wouldn't shop there, it's too expensive anyway. Worse than Hot Topic. :P

4MySelf: I agree with you on the slutty thing. I can't stand any of it, especially when I try to go shopping. All I ever see in the junior's section are cleavage-bearing, transparent tops and super-low-rise short shorts, not that many of the people that shop in the junior's section even have cleavage. And then there are those shirts that say things like, "Tell your boyfriend I said thanks," lip & heart pattern included, and "Hottie." Ahem. Sorry. I'll stop.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #12  

I agree...LB has lots of slutty looking clothes. They are far from flattering on larger people. From what I know of Torrid, they are even worse. And the cheapest crap of all is at the Fashion Bug. Talk abotu poor quality! My gripe with Catherines and LB catalog....those clothes are all old lady looking bags! You rarely find anything with any real cut to it. They are all so shapeless. I will shop all over and mix and match pieces, but have most luck with Nordstroms, Dillars and Foleys.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #13  
Almost There..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid
From what I know of Torrid, they are even worse.
Oh yeah, Torrid's pretty bad. I don't shop there, just heard of 'em 'cause of Hot Topic. They've got entirely sleeveless shirts, Playboy merchandise, short skirts.. I hate it all. >:(
Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #14  
The Prettiest Mud Puddle

Thats the one thing I always disliked about LB. Now Torrid is a company i can respect as a plus size woman. Most of their employees (about 90%) are plus size, and they only use their employees as their models. Sometimes they'll get Mia Tyler as a model or some other professional, but not often. They even have contests for their customers to be a model for something.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #15  

Some day I'm going to buy the Wonder Woman underwear/sleep set from Torrid I also like their character t-shirts. Torrid's sizes suck, though. I wear a 2x (well I did) and when I bought a cookie monstor T from Torrid I had to buy it in a 3x and it was still too "fitted." In retrospect, I think that was how it was supposed to be, but, in addition to being turned off by cleavege baring clothes, I also hate to show off my fat rolls.

Of course, now that I've grown out of all of my clothes but have no $$ to buy new, I'm wearing skin-tight all the time

Ich.

Last edited by 4myloves; 06-06-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Closed Thread