Old 05-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #1  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Smile ~*~*~*Lifetime of Independence Challenge*~*~*~

Ok chicks, here we go!

Summer is here, and the 4th of July (Independence Day, for those of us in the US) is fast approaching. This is the season of bathing suits and cookouts, which can both motivate us and make dieting harder. In any case, we've got to keep moving and keep working towards our goals!

With our recent talk of physical problems caused by excess weight, let's focus this month on making and keeping our bodies healthy and capable and strong for everyday activities, whether it's carrying laundry up and down a flight of stairs or playing frisbee with the dog. Remember to warm up before working out, and cool down afterwards, and stretch and move your body as much as possible. Eat the right foods and drink plenty of water to keep yourself nourished and hydrated. Treat yourself and your body well. Getting fit and taking good care of your body will not only make you feel better now(physically and mentally), but it will allow you to lead an active, independent life in the future.

So let's start getting healthier right now, for the summer, and for the rest of our lives!
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:54 PM   #2  
Bound and Determined

Default Exercise Challenge

Here it is, a repeat of last month's minutes/miles challenge!

This time, no complaining that there's not enough time left in the month, no complaining that the goals are too high! Set your own goals, work at your own pace. Make sure your goals are realistic, but still challenging. If you wear a pedometer on a daily basis, set your miles a bit higher to make sure you're getting in your aerobics too. If you only count aerobics, 15 minutes = 1 mile (unless you have some other measure, i.e. miles on a treadmill, etc).

For example, I'm setting myself a goal of 100 miles, including pedometer miles and aerobic miles. I made 50 miles in 3 weeks with only 2 or 3 aerobic sessions this month, so if I add in more aerobics and another week of walking, 100 miles should be no problem for me. But I wear a pedometer all day every day, so my miles are rather high.

The point is to get moving, and stay moving. Go at whatever pace you want, just make sure you GO!

Who's with me?

~Elisha
Old 06-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #3  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Wednesday-Hump Day!

Good Morning everyone!

Elisha...thank you for doing this challenge! First of all, it's what I need right now, that's for sure! And secondly, I really didn't have the time or energy to put into starting a new one...so thank you!

I've had a rough couple of nights. I did ok yesterday during the day, but as soon as I got in my car to drive home, the pain started getting worse. Sitting is really rough! Thank goodness I don't have to sit at a desk all day! I'm considering calling my Dr. again, but I did so some research on the internet last night and really there isn't a whole lot that can be done for nerve problems, except anti-inflammatories, stretches and rest! Which I am doing all three. They say that the pain will usually subside within a MONTH!!! I don't have a month!!! I want to start working out again! But I also know that if I do, I may risk the chance of injuring it worse...so, alas....I will just do my stretches and some toning, what I can stand and just hope this pain goes away soon! And I will concentrate on my eating habits and try to get that back under control by joining Weight Watchers this week. It probably won't be until Saturday because I just don't have a free night this week!

Ironic, isn't it..that when we are ABLE to work out, our minds tell us we don't need to or dont' want to, but when our bodies are out of comission, our minds are telling us just the opposite!!! Interesting thought...interesting these humans and how they work!!!!

Comments everyone!!!!

Donna...I'll be rooting for you during your surgery! You do have a wonderful positive outlook about it...thats wonderful! Gotta keep the spirits up! And of course...we want you to join in on this challenge! We can't do it without our cheering section! And besides...you don't have any excuses now with that new LAP TOP!!! You go girl!! You deserve it! Yea hubby!!!!

Elisha...I found my old pedometer, but I also bought a new one and it's in my work bag. I just need to remember to put it on when I get to work! And I will do my best to walk each day, but I'm gonna take it kinda easy for the next week or so! I'll figure out a goal soon! Sitting idly is not a problem for me! I wish I could!!!!

Lisa...you pack some healthy food along with your junk camping food, girl! Asparagus is in season up here! I love that stuff!!! MMMMMMMmmmmm! Have fun!

MsRD...you and I need to concentrate on our eating for the first week or two of this challenge, it sounds like...your foot, my foot, my back! We are a wreck, aren't we??? LOL! Well, it's going to get better for both of us! You take care of your foot and let's do something about our weight this month. (a little personal challenge for both of us!)

I will post my goals later today or tonight! But primarily, I'm working on dropping some pounds this month! There's a thought, eh? I'd like to drop 10 by the end of this month. It sounds a bit unrealistic, but I am going for it! I know that not working out is going to slow my metabolism a bit, but it's already slow, so I have to do something! I'd love to drop 20 lbs before I go hiking, so that's what I'm shooting for!

Chickies have a beautiful day. It's gonna be here! High near 80 today! Woo Hoo!!!!

Take care!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #4  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

I hope more of you found your way over here!

Yesterday didn't turn out too bad, and today is going to be even better. I'm incredibly tired today though. And we might go look at another house this evening.

I keep planning on getting up in the morning to exercise, but I'm just too tired. I know, if I exercised more I would have more energy, but mornings are just so hard. I'm not a morning person anyway. I can never seem to get enough sleep. I need to work on that. And not exercising in the morning makes me less likely to get it done. You all know how it is--other things shove exercise aside in the evenings, and it doesn't get done. It did get done last night--30 minutes on the exercise bike, which isn't a lot, but it's more than I have been doing.

I've decided that I need to workout longer than I have been. I know, that takes even more of my time. But it's not really that I don't have the time to do it. I just don't do it. Yes, right now I have lots of things going on, especially with the house-hunting, but other than that I'm not an exceptionally busy person, and I like it that way. In any case, I don't think my 20-30 minutes a couple of times a week is going to cut it. Starting now I'm doing a minimum of 30 minutes, and I'm aiming for 45-60 minutes on most days. I've got to increase the exercise. And I've got to step up the toning. Something's gotta give.

You would be proud of me today. Cereal for breakfast, carefully measured. Lunch is a salad with 2 tbsp of dressing (again, carefully measured) and lots of fruits and veggies for snacks. I did bring a little LF cheese and pepperoni for the salad to add a bit of protein. I don't know what dinner will be, but it will be something healthy.

Steve and I had a chat the other night, and apparently he's been gaining weight too and is starting to get concerned about it. We've agreed that we need to eat more whole grains and vegetables and lean meats and cheeses. When we get our house, we're both dieting. I think it will be a lot easier when he's fully on board. He tries to help me now, but it's hard to cook a healthy dinner when all you've got in the apartment is frozen pizza and macaroni and cheese.

As for the dramatic rise in my weight, today is my official weigh-day (1st of the month). I'm up to 209.8 this morning, which is definitely good. I've been gaining weight since August, and now I'm done. It has made me realize, however, just how easy it is for me to gain weight. I'm going to be watching my weight for the rest of my life. That's ok. It's just the way it is.

Steve bought me a new computer for my birthday, and he should have it set up for me either tonight or tomorrow evening. I can't wait. I'm ready to get back in the habit of using my DietPower software--I'm lost without it. And I'll be able to check the board from home again. I need all the motivation I can get. I need to start journaling. I used to journal every day, but I haven't really felt like it in months. I need to do it anyway. It just seems that there's not enough time for both journaling and posting.

OK, I'll stop rambling now. Oh, btw, I got in 1.22 miles plus 2 aerobic miles yesterday, so that puts me over my goal of 50 miles for the month of May. I'm going to update my signature to reflect that, and also add a miles update for June.

Have a great day, chicks!
~Elisha
Old 06-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #5  

Hey, I hope you don't mind if I join. I don't have a pedometer yet, I'm going to go to walmart tomorrow to get one. What is a good starting goal to start with, since I don't kno what I usually walk in a day yet? Is there anything I should be looking for in choosing a pedometer?

Also, you might want to check out www.americaonthemove.org
StarAngel2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #6  
Bound and Determined

Welcome to the Challenge, Jessica! Of course you can join, the more the merrier!

As far as pedometers go, you can get as fancy as you want, or you can get about as cheap as you want. It's up to you. I got the basic $4 one at WalMart, and it's pretty accurate. To judge the accuracy of the one you choose, wearing your pedometer, count 100 steps, then see how close your pedometer is. The $4 one did fairly decent. As for how high you need to set your goal, that depends on the type of lifestyle you lead. A few weeks ago I was working retail and on my feet all day--I averaged about 4 miles a day. Now I have a desk job and I'm lucky if I get over 1.5 miles. Also, miles depend on the size of your actual stride. I'm fairly tall, 5'10", and my stride is proportionately long, about 2 feet per step. The instructions with your pedometer will tell you how to measure and set your stride length. Many weight loss resources will say to aim for 10,000 steps per day, which for me equals about 4.64 miles, but that too is different for everyone. If your stride is shorter or longer, your miles will vary.

Since you currently have no idea, it might be a good idea to wear your pedometer for a few days before setting your goal. You can still keep track, just don't set a goal until you know what is realistic for you. Just make sure to set your goal high enough so you're sure to get in your aerobic exercise too (in addition to everyday walking). For the challenge, you can set a minutes goal if you prefer (example: 30 minutes X 20 days = 600 minutes). If you prefer to stick with miles and add your aerobic exercise to your tally there are different ways to do it. The most accurate way is to figure out how long it takes you to actually walk a mile. At a brisk pace (4mph), it takes 15 minutes. Therefore, 15 minutes of any aerobic exercise at the same intensity counts as 1 mile.

As a side note, bike miles don't count the same as walking miles (for obvious reasons). You can count whatever you want, just set a goal to make sure you're moving.

Now I feel like I've just given you a bunch of really confusing information. If you have any questions, or if I haven't explained myself well (which I have a tendency to do), feel free to PM me, or post, or whatever. Someone else may be able to explain what I mean better than I can! In any case, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps!
~Elisha
Old 06-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #7  

I think I'm just going to set a goal for WATPs Miles and count 15 minutes of Yourself!Fitness as 1 mile.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #8  

Doing ok so far, I eat Oatmeal for breakfast with dried grapes 1cup, 1cup milk, water and oatmeal, and I ate some left over Macrobiotic brown rice yesterday. When I grill it I cup it out 3 cups for two to watch portion control.

I am going to do what "O" does and try to get those fab abs, 300 sit ups (not coming up fully exteneded really uses those mucles) and although they are hidden, as the pounds shed I hope the peak out by the end of summer and not more will I have to suck in when trimming the bikini line!!!

I do about 30 minutes of serious aerobics, not everyday but I will for at least 5 days, a nice 500 calorie burn.

I really thought about the "All so famous Frozen Hot Chocolate" for dessert but with a mock up. Now, it is time for me to buy an Ice Cream maker and make my own fat free ice cream with fat free milk...

Digital Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 PM   #9  
Bound and Determined

Evening chicks!

I just finished my workout! 1.54 pedometer miles today, 2.5 with WATP Walk & Jog, plus another 15 minutes of calisthenics. Calories came in at 1594 (but I'm hungry now), and water at a whopping 106 oz. And I may actually get to bed at a decent time (although I'm not holding my breath on that one). I think I'll get something else to eat, since I am actually hungry. Not sure what though. Depends on what we have. I really want some Cheetos, but I know we don't have any of those (if we did, I'd have eaten them already!).

I'm getting my new computer set up tomorrow, unless we go look at the house we didn't go look at this evening. It's ok though, it gave me time to workout, which I really needed to do. There's lots of stuff I really need to do.

But in any case, I feel better about myself because I made healthy food choices (for the most part) and exercised today. Now all I need to do is go to bed.

Have a good night, chicks!
~Elisha
Old 06-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #10  

Hello All!

Whew! Just sat down for what seems like the first time today! I worked all day......7am - 5pm today.......it was AR statement day and end of month reports. So, I came home tired and ready to put my feet up.........until DH told me that the family room carpet was scheduled to be put down TOMORROW! We had to clear the room of everything......stuff is now piled up in the living room, dining room, kitchen, and even a couple chairs are out on the deck. Making morning coffee is going to be a challenge tomorrow!

Elisha.....Thank you for setting up a new challenge! As usual, I am in dire need of a kickstart. I have been backsliding long enough and it is time I started to get serious about taking care of myself.

Julie.....Be careful and don't over do with your exercise! We both should let our bodies heal and concentrate on the food and water. I want to start the 1-mile WATP.....maybe the new carpet will be cushy enough so I don't hurt my foot.

Jessica.....Welcome! So glad you're here! Did you get your pedometer yet? Set your goals with something your are comfortable with.....maybe a little challenging, but not impossible.

DigitalGirl......Did you say 300 situps? Oh, girl, you are raising the bar for all of us!

OK.....now where is everyone else? Mud? Jennifer? Joy? Mary? I know you are out there lurking......check in and let's all do this together!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #11  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Elisha, thank you so much for putting up this new challenge .

I'm in!!!!!!!!! I have a lot of work to do..a lot of un-doing to do. I don't know what in the world is the matter with me- I am doing just terrible, and I don't know why. Why would I sabotage myself when I have come so far?? It's so puzzling and frustrating. I am an emotional eater, plain and simple.

Oh well, nothing to do but just DO IT!!! Right, Julie??

Welcome to all the new faces. Actually, I am sad to not see some faces here. I hope you gals are all doing good, but just too busy to post.

Blessings to you all. Have a great evening and a fabulous day tomorrow!!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #12  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

I'm feeling good today. I think it's because I did well yesterday and exercised. I didn't eat anything else last night, so that is good too. I plan to exercise when I get home today too. Steve is coming over tonight, but he's got stuff to do first, so I will have time to work out.

I hope I get stuff to do today at work. I haven't had anything to do all week, and while I'm glad I'm getting paid for sitting around playing online games, I'd rather be actually working. At least it gives me time to journal during the day.

My breakfast wasn't that healthy today--fried eggs, ww toast-dry, 2 c coffee-1 w/creamer, 1 w/FF 1/2 n 1/2--but I brought a salad for lunch with LF dressing, an apple for a snack, some SF jello, and FF pudding. I don't know if I'll eat it all, but if I feel like eating, at least it's healthy. And water to drink.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. Have a great day, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #13  

Talking

Hey chicks! Great news... I'm down 2 pounds this week! Only 3 more pounds and I'm offically in One-derland. Geez, I haven't seen that 1 on the scale since I was a sophmore in High School.

I did really awesome yesterday with eating, except I ate a brownie before I went to sleep. Oops. As for exercising, I did WATPs 1 Mi., Yourself!Fitness and did that exercise machine thing that has leg press, arm pulleys, chest press, etc. (what is the term for this machine? I'm not sure!) But anyway, I added a weight to the leg press and I'm feelin' it today!

So far today, I did Yourself!Fitness, "Exercise machine" and I'm getting ready to do WATPs right now. So Later Chickies, Have a GREAT day!

*Edit* I forgot to mention, I ordered a Curves Pedometer from Avon. It comes with 2 weeks free visit to Curves. It won't be here til next week.

Last edited by StarAngel2528; 06-02-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #14  
"workin' on my fitness"

Ok, let's see if anyone remembers me, and will be willing to welcome my lard butt back.

When I last posted, things at work were beginning to hit "frenzy" and things with the house were falling apart at the seams. Well, so did I. No exercise, food was crap, fast food, takeout, garbage for lunch & dinner- the only thing I did right was my zone bar for breakfast. And now, all I have to show for that is tight clothing, bras that dig into me, aches, pains, swollen feet, and a return trip right back to the beginning, where I started. No excuses. I blew it. I gave up my control. I did- I not only admit that, I'll yell it to the mountaintops. I let the situation, and my stress level make my decisions for me.

So, now with a new world order at work, and a pissed off loan consultant who finally saw the light & realizes what Cindy/Roid has been doing these last 5 full months- wow, now things are different. No longer am I wasting an hour to 2 hours a day going over files & her pricing, and following up on her things. No more lunches together- (I planted that seed in the managers' head) we have to split up for "full coverage of the team" which means I have finally reclaimed my life. We were told we could have lunch together 1x per week, but I am going to conveniently have plans, etc, any time. And as soon as I do my grocery shopping, I will be bringing my super-healthy lunch again, and get back to my dang weight loss.

I can't believe I blew it. Well, I can believe it, but it sucks sooooo badly, I feel like Super Colossal Moron for sticking my head in the sand, and thinking that falling back on what got me this fat in the FIRST place wouldn't do the exact same thing this time.

Anyone willing to turn that tazer to "lobotomy" and zap me until I get back with the program?

Goals for me-

Start back slowly.
Water. More water, every single day.
Get my food back on track
Move this carcass.

I have missed you all so much- I have thought about you all, and just like before, I need you all, because I can't do it alone. ((((((((( chickies ))))))))

And I promise I will get back here either after dinner, or first thing in the morning, to read & reply!

(((((((( Missed you all! )))))))))))
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #15  
Bound and Determined

Welcome back, Jennifer! We missed you too! We *all* need to get moving again, so let's get to it!

Today was a bust for me. My best friend wanted to go to lunch today, and it was her birthday, so I did. Wendy's, and not the healthiest of choices (of course). Then there were the Cheetos on the way home. *rolls her eyes* And now it's time for dinner, and I have no idea what to have, but I know that we don't have healthy food in the house. I dunno. I'm tired. I don't think there will be any exercise today, as I'm super tired, and my legs hurt for some unapparent reason. I need to clean my room, especially my desk, so Steve can set up my new computer.

Anyway, I'm going to go for now, try to find something edible. If anyone finds anything with a negative amount of calories, please let me know.

Have a great evening, chicks.
~Elisha