Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #1  

Default losing weight while pregnant..

is it doable? I'm 30 lbs overweight. half of that gained during my first pregnancy where I gave in to just about every craving in had. (lotsa mcd's) Instead of trying to lose it before #2, I dont' want to yoyo my body but is it possible to losea portion of it (maybe 10lbs ) while pregnant?

thank!
-Tania
tmmgeekette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Some women do lose weight during pg - from morning sickness or a switch to healthier eating. I think OB's usually discourage intentional weight loss (i.e. dieting) during pg. It's best to check with your dr.

I started WW shortly before becoming pg (about 1 month) and OB said not to follow it (even the modified version for nursing mothers) while pg. Basically I'm to make sure I'm eating a balanced diet (5 fruits-veggies, milk, whole grain...) and stay active.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #3  
resident lactivist

It is an incredibly bad idea to diet during pregnancy. Good, proper nutrition is what you need to be focusing on while pregnant, not the scale. I am very much against keeping strict track of weight gain during pregnancy, as it's not actually an indicator of anything (except at the tail end of the last tri, when sudden weight gain can be a sign of preeclampsia). You're literally making another human being, and you need to eat well to do that. Not to mention that IMO the "typical" American pregnancy is a stressful enough occasion that you really don't need to be taking on anything more to worry about!
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I have to agree with the previous poster. I did lose weight for the first week or so with my second pregnancy because of morning sickness, and my doctor was pretty unhappy. Your baby needs those calories and nutrients to grow healthy. If a woman is obese, she may be told to keep her weight gain down to about 15 pounds, which is hard but doable. However, that should be a recommendation by your doctor. On average, a woman should expect to gain about 30 pounds during pregnancy, and it's all necessary gain for a healthy baby.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:03 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well, I kickstarted my diet back in January to try and finally lose the last few pounds I was hanging onto. I managed to lose 3 pounds that month. I was so proud! Then I found out that I'd been pregnant since Chrismas. ::EEP:: So I went totally opposite. I went on the cheesecake and donut diet for a few weeks.

Once I got past both of those hurdles, I realized that I needed to stay on track with my dieting/exercise. BUT...there of course had to be some changes for both mine and the baby's sake. I wasn't going to be able to eat low calories now. So I stopped counting cals, but I keep eating healthy. And I wasn't going to be able to do 60 to 90 minutes of exercise a day. I still exercise daily but only 30 to 45 minutes. That will keep me on track and I can increase my exercise time and decrease my cals AFTER the baby arrives. That 30 lbs ain't a going nowhere while you're pregnant. But if you eat right and exercise throughout the pregnancy, you'll stand a better chance of losing it afterward because you'll already be set with an exercise regime and accustomed to healthy eating.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I was 8 lbs away from goal when I found out I was pregnant. I have had a hard time not being so restricitve on myself. I was only eating aroun 1000 cal per day. SO when I increased my calories, I way over did it and I've gained about 30 lbs already and still have 3 months to go! It's a hard to get to happy-medium. I've leveled out, and I think I am making better selections although, I still have a sweet tooth!

I would not recommend trying to lose weight, however, its best to consult your physician. good luck!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolose85
I was 8 lbs away from goal when I found out I was pregnant. I have had a hard time not being so restricitve on myself. I was only eating aroun 1000 cal per day. SO when I increased my calories, I way over did it and I've gained about 30 lbs already and still have 3 months to go!
Sounds so familiar. I was just a couple pounds shy of my goal and let my sweet tooth totally take over for the first 3 weeks after finding out. Doing better now, eating healthier again, but I do still grab for the sweets on occasion. I figure I'm gonna gain it anyway, and the cravings are harder to combat at this point. And I've also gained about 30 pounds with over 3 months left to go.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

OK, I feel better. I'm at about 25 lbs with 4 months left to go. Trying to eat well, and exercise regularly, but it's just not really happening. I'm just doing my best. I figure that there will be plenty of time to lose it later, and I'm just trying to survive and keep the damage to a minimum.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #9  
Kat

Default Had baby on feb 16 2005

I actually lost 15 lbs when i was pregnant and had an 7lb 15 oz son, at first i couldn't figure out why because i ate whatever i wanted to eat. Then after i started thinking bout it i worked up to the day i had my some anywhere from 10 to 15 hrs a day so i think that is why i had a loss in weight
Kat0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 PM   #10  

I didn't mean to imply I would put myself on a diet while pg. only to cut out the junk during pg.. But, yes I agree thta it is more important to be healthy than to worry about weight one way or the other.

I will ask my ob if it is safe to start a light exercise routine during pg. thanks for the replies.
tmmgeekette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

I lost weight during my pregnacy, but didn't realize how much until after I delivered. I gained 10 lbs with my daughter and I lost that 10 plus another 40 after delivery( she was 7lb, 11oz). I kept it all off until my daughter stopped nursing (boo hoo for me). I have now gained back 30 of it and am totally angry with myself that I didn't compensate for the calories I was using during nursing.... During my pregnacy sweets made me throw up and in my last trimester I had gestational diabetis and had to follow a strict eating plan to manage my sugar. I'm sure that those are the reasons I lost during my pregnacy. My doctor was not concerned about my lack of weight gain because I was/am obese and the baby was gaining and doing well. My daughter is 11 months old.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote