Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-31-2005, 01:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default Article...

http://www.normaleating.com/women.php for the entire article

Fat Can Serve a Function
Most people, when asked if they want to be fat, will quickly say no. But it's important to realize that nothing is black or white, good or bad. Everything has an upside and a downside. Being attractive has disadvantages, and being fat can serve a positive function. This is especially true for women, whose bodies are the target of such excessive focus in this society.

Special Challenges for Women
Being fat serves a positive purpose of some kind for virtually every overweight woman, and it's very valuable to try to figure out what that is for you as an individual, how being fat has made your life easier. This insight helps you to realize that your ambivalent, push-me-pull-you behavior isn't completely crazy.

You may wonder why you continue to eat if you want to be slim. One reason is that a part of you doesn't want to be slim. This is why many women will eat more when they've weighed themselves and noticed a weight loss. They are ambivalent about being slim. It's being at war with themselves that keeps people fat. There's a part that wants to be slim, and there's a part that does not.

Being fat...

Prevents unwanted sexual attention and advances.
Focuses workplace attention away from a woman's appearance and onto her performance.
Allows women to define their own role, instead of being forced into becoming wives and mothers.
Makes friendships with other women easier because a fat woman is not a threat.
Allows women to bond with their mothers and other women over a shared problem.
Allows women to test a man's affections and make sure they are based on substance.
Is a way to rebel against and reject women's role in society.
Makes women feel less vulnerable and "easy to push around".
Reduces discomfort with sexuality that sometimes occurs after becoming a mother.
Is a way to express anger towards your partner by refusing to look how he wants you to look.
Reduces anxiety in women who fear their own tendency toward promiscuity by removing opportunity.
Takes away the feeling of being "invisible" when men can't see past your appearance.
Is a way to symbolically develop "thick skin", reduce a sense of vulnerability.
Can be a manifestation of low self-esteem, a way we tell ourselves and the world we are no good.

Food Bandaides
When we feel terrible and don't know how to take care of ourselves, one solution is to self-soothe with food, apply a "food bandaide", so to speak. But in fact, the only real need that food can satisfy is hunger. Eating cannot solve problems such as a job you hate, financial crises, a troubled marriage, or sick children. After the fifteen minutes or so of having the food in your mouth and enjoying the taste, what you're left with is a stomach ache, self-loathing, and all the same problems. It can be difficult to take the necessary action that effects real change. Usually this involves uncomfortable self-assertion and facing internal demons. But in the end, the effort is worth it.

The next time you are hungry, ask yourself what is really bothering you, and see if you can come up with some action to take towards dealing with the problem, no matter how small a step it is. Think of something you can do that takes no longer than 15 minutes. Tell yourself you will try this first, and then eat the food afterwards. Even if you take only one small action—for example, make one phone call—the effect on how you feel can be profound. When you no longer feel trapped and victimized by life, you don't need food bandaides.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Thanks for sharing the article, ellis You know, yesterday I was telling my mother about a speaker I'd heard awhile back that mentioned: "Why do so many people want to have surgeries, diets, etc. to look like their favorite celebrities so they can get that man/woman they are wanting to date? If looks were what made a marriage last, why are there so many divorces in Hollywood?"
LesnarsTXF5Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #3  

Oh... very good point, Diva!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #4  
Steph

Wow! Thanks so much for the article Ellis.
Blessed and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:32 AM   #5  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi!
I'm new to this forum (I just come in and read sometimes) (Hi ellis!), but just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the article too.
I’ve always known I use fat for good reasons like protection and strength (feeling big and strong), but reading this got me thinking that I also use fat to bond with other women. And sometimes I use fat to direct other people’s focus toward my performance (and not appearance).
It’s a bit weird, because I’ve been fat for so long that I can’t really say what’s the fat and what’s me anymore. It seems to me that fat becomes part of your personality and the way you go through life after a while. At different times in my life I could have answered yes for most of the items on the list, I think (except for the ones about being a mother – I don’t have children).

I did look around a little on the website you linked to, ellis (http://www.normaleating.com/), and I really liked it. I also liked that Sheryl Canter, the creator of the site was inspired by Fat is a feminist issue: my favorite book about food and obsession ever!!!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #6  

Mette, it's so good to "see" you, sweetie!

That's interesting what you said about fat becoming part of our personalities.
I remember years ago, a friend of my sister lost a lot of weight. She'd been fat all her life. When she lost the weight, people kept saying to her how good she looked, and that looked like a whole new person.
She got really fed up with the responses, and would reply, "I was the same person then as I am now! I'm not any different just because I'm slim!"
And I can understand that. People SEE us differently because of our body size. They think we're disorganized, unable to "get a grip", lazy, unmotivated...
It's really disconcerting. Other people may have real problems in other areas, but ours are visible, and other people judge us by our appearance, and sometimes feel obliged to comment on it.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote