100 lb. Club - New here - Don't want to be a lurker

2mel66
05-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone,
I just joined the forums, my husband and I have decided to do something about our weight and will start our plan tomorrow. We are both really heavy and unhealthy and know we have to change.

I have joined web based forums before and just end up being a lurker, I guess it is that fear of even committing over the internet to people you don't know that you are really going to do it this time. I have tried so many times to lose weight before. Like so many others, I would be moderately successful and then gain it all back plus some. But I am committed this time. I now weigh 275lbs, the biggest I have ever been. I am having physical/medical problems including a bulging disc and aching knees and feet. I am miserable and I have to do something.

I am 37, live in central KY, and work for the state govenment. I live with my husband, two cats and a big, hairy dog. My hobbies include beekeeping, middle ages historical re-creation and crafts.

I am really looking forward to coming here to this forum. I have other friends that talk about needing to lose weight but they are talking about 20 or 30 pounds. I think that is a great thing and not an easy thing to do but it is drastically different than wanting/needing to drop 100 or more. I glad there is support here.

Thanks everyone,
Melissa

Jen
05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
I know what you mean when you talk to people who have 20-30 lbs to lose. It's like they are living in another world!

Welcome to this group. It is a great bunch to come and share your problems and triumphs with. Everyone is very supportive and helpful.

missaprylj
05-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes! Welcome, welcome!

Please join in our June Points challenge. Check out that thread to hear all about it. It's a neat way to be accountable and stay OP.

Also, check out our Weekly Journal Buddy Thread where many of us post what we eat each day. If you're honest, it is extremely helpful in your journey.

Good luck!

Goddess Jessica
05-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Melissa - I LOOOOVE Lexington, Ky. I'm from Cincy and my boyfriend is from Lexington (we live in San Diego, CA now). Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Jillegal
05-31-2005, 03:06 AM
Welcome Melissa - jump right in and post to your heart's content! We all know the journey's longer for our kind, but as long as you're on the road that means you're heading in the right direction - we'll all get there together! :)

Gardenwife
05-31-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi, Melissa - WELCOME! My hubby (Howie6267 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/member.php?find=lastposter&t=57866) ) and I are both members of 3FC and love this place. Howie and I can be each others' best encouragers or worst enemies when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. 3FC and our dual accountability here has helped us a lot. It's a great group of folks from all over, and I'm glad you're joining in.

Here's to not lurking! :D

SuchAPrettyFace
05-31-2005, 04:42 AM
Congrats on taking the plunge! We are a great group, if I do say so myself. ;)

artist
05-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Welcome, Melissa, you've found a great place for lots of support, encouragement, wisdom and advice. And inspiration - there are some great people having lots of success in losing many many pounds, and keeping it off - helps to know that when its a long journey ahead of you!

Do join one (or all!) of the accountability threads....its a bit daunting at first, but is a great source of support.

barbygirl43
05-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi and welcome. You've found the right place.

Laurmom
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new here too. Just feeling my way around. I had WLS in July of '02 and I'm down just over 140 lbs. Not sure how people around here feel about WLS, but I'm jumping in anyway!
I am about 20 lbs from my personal goal and I started WW 3 weeks ago to get there. I am finding it fairly easy to follow so far.
If I ever find my way back here I'll see you around the boards!

2mel66
05-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks for such a warm welcome! Today was the first day on our new eating, which is South Beach. It was a good day. I am not sure how things are going to work with me and my husband, he really expects me to spoon feed him through this process. He even said he will read the book "if he has time", did I mention he is a school teacher who is out for the summer? I have to admit that he does frustrate me now and then :dizzy: , but I love him so I will help him through this and hopefully he will be able to help me.

Laurie, I sure did consider surgery but knew someone who had serious complications (which really scares me) so thought I would give it one more try the old fashioned way. I think you are very brave! And congrats on your lose.

Lexington is a great place to live. I moved here in '89 from a much smaller town in KY and can't really imagine living anywhere else! Although the summers do get awfully hot!

Thanks again for the great welcome!

Melissa

~~Sunshine~~
05-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Hello and Welcome!! Good luck with your weight loss!! I know you can do it!!

howie6267
05-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Welcome Melissa,

Tell your husband to come in and join us too. It's not all women here and there is great support for all. If he needs any help and wants to talk to a guy he is more than welcome to email me. He can find the email link on my web site that is below in my signature.

2mel66
05-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Howie, that is so awesome of you to offer, I will let him know. It is nice to have someone to do this with. I b**** about him sometimes but he is a good guy and I want us to be together for a long time :lol: so we really need to be on top of this stuff.
Thanks!

Laurmom
05-31-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey Melissa! Thanks for the warm welcome! I really wasn't sure how I would be recieved. As for your dh, girl you're LUCKY to have him at least willing to work on it with you. Mine has a very hard time with anything but Atkins. He does great on it for a while, but then he gets in the same room with a piece of bread and it's all over with!
Surgery is a MAJOR decision and if you even THINK you have it in you to do this any other way then you MUST try! I have many friends who have had horrible comlications as well and it IS scary!
You have a great path ahead of you! I KNOW you can do it!

howie6267
06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Welcome to you too Laurmom. We are all on the same journey. You took one path some of us took another but we all need to end up at the same place. Your more than welcome to post here. There is also a WLS fourm if you have not already found it. Nice to meet you.

Laurmom
06-01-2005, 12:23 AM
WOWOWOWOWOWOW Howie! How the HECK about YOU??? That is AWESOME! Well done!
Thank you also for the warm welcome. And you're right. It's where we all really need to end up to be healthy. And healthy is what it's all about. As you know, looking good aint bad, but feeling good, man there is just NOTHING like it!
Congratulations to you on your amazing successes!

Reaferg
06-01-2005, 12:41 AM
I'll just say I lurked for a while myself. And I still don't post as much as I read. Most of the time everyone here just reads my mind, so why just say the same thing twice :).

Welcome Laurmom

howie6267
06-01-2005, 12:44 AM
Thanks, It's been a long haul but well worth it. I just looked at your profile. You have a wonderful looking family and your looking great. You ought to post some before and after pics in the progress picture thread.

kykaree
06-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Welcome Melissa and Laurie. I don't know how I would have coped without these forums. I don't know anyone who has 100 lbs to lose, and I felt so alone and hopeless until I joined here, and started feeling positive and excited about the journey instead of just plain scared!!!!!

Use the forums, what you get out is what you put in. Everyone here is super friendly and fabulous, many times I have been dragged out of a rut and plonked on the straight and narrow by these guys.

Congratulations on your loss Laurie, I don't think it matters what you journey looks like. I couldn't do the surgery coz a I am a wimp, b I have a massive scar from gallbladder surgery and don't want any more and c could not afford it!!!!! So the old fashioned way it is for me!!!!!

DishyFishy
06-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Welcome, Laurie and Melissa. :wave:

Laurmom
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Good MORNING everyone! You really are a very welcoming bunch! Good to know!
Well... I have my WW weigh in tomorrow. I snuck and weighed on my own scale this morning and I wasn't thrilled with what I saw. Hmph. I have been super vigiliant too. I have heard from some folks that they have to eat fewer points than they are given when they do WW after surgery. None of that makes any sense at all since we have malabsorption issues. Heck. I dunno. I'll see how I do at my WI tomorrow and go from there.
Howie, thanks for the wonderful compliment on my family. They are pretty wonderful aren't they?? My boys are really the main reason I had surgery. I will find some B/A pix to post here pretty soon.
Kykaree, thanks for the warm welcome! I hear you re:scars. Since I had my WLS ( not a very big scar btw) I have also had my TT and Mastopexy. You wanna talk about SCARS?? LOL. Hey... I'm old. I figure what the heck. The only person who will see 'em is my husband and he saw me nekkid at 334 and stuck around. LOL.
You guys are a lot of fun and I look forward to getting to know you and hanging out a bit.
P.S. If you look in the upper left hand corner of my Avatar you'll see my before pic. It's tiny.. but it's there.

barbygirl43
06-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Hi and welcome Laurie. You look great!!

Melissa--I commend your hubby for giving it a try. Every time I ask my hubby to try something with me he flat out refuses. I challenged him to give up regular sodas for two weeks and you know what? he dropped almost 10 pounds!!! But did that keep him off the sodas? Nope he slowly went back to the regular kind.

hautbois
06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Welcome Laurie and Melissa! This is a great board! I came here in Feb, determined that 2005 would be "the year" to finally get serious about losing weight. Well, by March I found myself pregnant, so 2006 will have to be "the year". :lol: I stick around even though I'm not allowed to lose weight because the folks here are wonderful and friendly (as you've probably already noticed). Also, just reading everyone's success stories and NSV is great motivation for eating right and staying active.

I wish you both great success and look foward to reading your success stories!

Amanda Panda
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late, but I wanted to say welcome Melissa and Laurie! :wave:

I completely agree with Kykaree - before I came here I didn't even think it was possible to lose 100+ pounds - now thanks to the wonderful people who come here and offer great support, friendship and advice (and kicks up the butt when necessary! :coach: ), I KNOW that not only is it possible,but I am going to succeed at losing it!

One of you is right at the start of your weight loss journey and one is nearing the end - but you are both most welcome!

Love Amanda x

glynne
06-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Welcome Melissa and Laurie ~ glad you've joined us. Great group of people here ~ encouraging and understanding.

Sea
06-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Laurmom and Melissa - You will find people working all sorts of weight loss strategies here. We are all working toward improving our health (and our families' health). Wander around the boards here. There are specific areas of concern, such as for the WLS, different age groups, different food plans, etc. We may all be going toward a similar place, but we often choose different paths. If it affects your support, it is probably here with other people on a similar journey. Enjoy! We are here for you.