Weight and Resistance Training - LWL - # 205 - May 30 to June 5

View Full Version : LWL - # 205 - May 30 to June 5

Ilene
05-30-2005, 08:13 AM
I guess I'll start the weekly thread, Mel must have had some early clients or she's just plain sleeping in :coffee: ... (just kidding Mel I know you don't sleep in!!)

Today I am washing walls and doing legs :strong: ... hm an upper and lower body workout, all is good then !!

TTFN ... :wave:

Mel
05-30-2005, 08:14 AM
No, Mel was trying to start the thread. :mad:

Mel

Ilene
05-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Hey you gotta be quicker than that !! nea nea :p

ellenuw
05-30-2005, 11:12 AM
All right you two, don't make me stop this thread :nono:

Yes, I am having memories of past holidays in the car with my sister and brother. Hard to believe we all made it to adulthood with families of our own ...

I had a great morning. I went out for a 35 minute run and then did an UBWO with my trainer.

Then something happened and my whole attitude changed. I started to doubt and feel bad about myself. My trainer gave me a good talking to, as I am starting to stress about being able to finish the marathon course in 6 hours if my time right now is around 13.15 to 13.30. Then I had a bit of a meltdown trying to get dressed to go to this afternoon's baseball game - I wanted to look "hot" and kept feeling I looked "dumpy" and every one of my 45 years. I know I need to lighten up on myself and learn to see how far I have come. DH just put my "before" picture in front of me, and that helps. Can I blame this on hormones? Oy, why am I doing this to myself? I will not allow a self-sabotage cycle top start, especially how far I have come.

*deep breath*

OK, I am over this now and back on track. Thanks for letting me vent.

Have a great day - it is sunny and warm and I get to go see my Nats play!

Ilene
05-30-2005, 11:49 AM
ellen - YES blame it on hormones, what else could it be ... :grouphug: hang in there I know you can do it!!

tikanique
05-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Yes, hang in there AND give your DH a big hug for showing you the before picture! That was probably about the best thing he could have done.

Ilene and Mel, you two are funny racing to start the thread!

I am back from a great leg workout - well almost great! I almost dropped a 30 lb. dumbell on my foot while doing lunges. It was my gym boyfriends fault for speaking to me mid-lunge. This guy is so funny. He is about 65 yrs old, about 5'4 tall and he wears these oversized tank tops and struts around like a peacock. However, I have noticed that he NEVER lift weights. Instead he goes and sits on machines or apparatus' next to where woman are working out and flexes up like he is about to lift. He is so funny.

Tiki.

ellenuw
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
*Tiki has a boyfriend, Tiki has a boyfriend" :lol: Actually, he is in my gym, too, in short-shorts and a muscle shirt. Ahh, to have such confidence.

Thanks for your encouragement. I am fine and back on track now. It is amazing the power of eating a snack. Weekends just wreck havoc on my schedule, especially long ones.

Ilene
05-30-2005, 12:25 PM
I have a gym bf too, actually 2, one I like he's a real hoot and a runner too the other one gets on my last nerve, I just smile and walk real fast by him...

Mel
05-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey Ellen- you're YOUNG!
Tiki- We have a guy like that at my gym, except he's big. We call him "Talky Tom". He spends about 2 hours every morning at the gym and manages 2 sets of curls (light), and a set or two of bench presses, also light. I avoid him as much as possible since I can't stand his politics or his constant "don't hurt yourself, Mel" refrain.

Mel

semmens
05-31-2005, 08:57 AM
<delurking>

Why is it that men seem to think a woman *must* be interested in what they have to say? :lol:

I had a guy I've never seen before tell me yesterday that I must have a personal vendetta against "someone" since I was doing a lot of tricep work, which in his mind translated to "big arms."

Hi to anyone who remembers me! I'm back at the gym after a long absence due to work, stress and injury. All better now . :)

Laura

Ilene
05-31-2005, 09:04 AM
Welcome back Laura :wave:

Today I am biking it's gorgeous out with no wind :dance: But on my way out for my ride I will drop by at the gym and do legs. YEsterday I worked chest and tris because I could not take the van to the gym it was stuck in the driveway because they are doing construction on my street, so I jogged there instead.

tikanique
05-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Ilene, that's crazy. I think my neighbors would KILL someone if they couldn't get their cars out the driveway.

Hi Laura!

Today is a cardio only day so I will either get down with Billy or sneak off to the track after work. It's another pretty day here so I am hoping I can pull it off. It helps a lot that my boss is on vacation today!

Tiki.

Meg
05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi Laura! It's wonderful to have you back with us again! :D

Ilene
05-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Tiki -- :lol: They did give me fair warning that I would not be able to get out for a few hours and to move it right away if I needed to go anywhere... Road construction must be a guy thing :lol: every single man on the street has gone out to check the holes and talk to the construction guys at least once since the whole process started :rolleyes: ...

I just came back from an awesome workout did legs and went for a 20K bike ride after which when I came in my legs, for the first time in a very long time, were ready to buckle from weakness... I needed food and water pronto, yea I had forgotten water!!!

Meg -- BTW these new orthotics are totally awesome!! Even when I was biking my toes didn't get numb...

Sashenka
05-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi,

Monday I skipped my bike ride to/from work as after the hike on Saturday I could not use my legs properly. So I went to the gym and did abs and upper body. Also, in the evening went for agility class with my dog and did jumps - tell you, this is aerobic exercise as my dog is a foxhound which can run 2 hour non-stop, hence he is never tired. We had to do jumps and it is like jump-jump-jump and over and over again, so it was something - the good thing my wuads stopped hurting me today.

Did not bike today to work either - pouring rain and I do not like to bike in rain. So I plan to do gym during lunch hour today.

ellenuw
05-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi Laura, nice to meet you :wave:

It is a beatiful day in DC and I am trying to get a sense of routine back. How can having DH home for 3 days get me so off track?

I did my first "hill" workout this morning and it was a toughie. 45 minutes running up an incline by my building and walking back down. I have no concept of distance, so I can't tell you how far. I can tell you it involved 4 speed bumps, because I counted each time I went over one. So, rest assured, I can count to 4. Then I went to yoga and snapped sometihng in my neck - nothing serious, more like it froze up and released. It was a simple warm-up move I have done a million times (threading the needle), but enough for my instructor to stop. We spent the rest of the session talking and getting to what was really "bothering" me, and, needless to say, if this training/yoga instruction thing doesn't work out, she would make and excellent psychiatrist :lol:

So, I took back control and called the person who is making me this crazy and told her I cannot do it anymore and she needs to take control and stop playing the victim. She is writing this drama and I refuse to be an actor in it. Somehow, something lifted from my shoulders and I am at peace. Of course, I stink of Ben-Gay, but even that smells good to me right now. I should have done this weeks ago! Yep, I really need to learn to listen to my body more.

DH and I had a great time at the ball game yesterday. One of our friends was handed 4 tickets at the last minute and took 2 friends with him yesterday - couldn't get a 4th on such short notice. Turns out they were in the first row behind home plate. He came by and asked if one of us wanted to come down. I sent DH and he has been floating ever since. I love seeing my man with the joy of a 7 year old on his face. I am closing the door on negative thoughts and back on my roll. Tomorrow is elliptical and weights and I am looking forward to it! Oh, yeah, watch out Vegas, I am going to make it!

Have a great day

Mel
05-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Laura! :wave: Still got abs?

I did "Bust-a-lung" cardio this morning: intervals of 2 minutes walking, 1 minute lunging, then 2 minutes running on the treadmill. After each "set" you bump the incline up 2 degrees. The speeds are supposed to be 3.6 mph, 2.0 mph and 6.0 mph. Start at 2% incline and end at 12% I only made it to 10% and kept it there for the last 2 sets :p Then a 10 minute no-incline cool down walk. My knees aren't happy at all. Anybody who says that the treadmill isn't much of a workout hasn't tried this.

I have another treadmill workout with intervals of running and pop squats for when my knees recover from today's fun.

Food is back on track...finally all the week-end leftovers are GONE!

Mel

ellenuw
05-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Gee Whiz, Mel, that cardio does sound like it would bust something - a lung would not have been my first guess. :lol: I'll have to try it some day. One set would pretty much do me in. You really are my hero!

RavenToy
05-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Hiyas - I've been a bit out of the loop. My finally nicely scheduled life got turned all upside down by people actually wanting me to trim their horses' hooves. :yikes: Imagine that. I had my first paying customers. So I spent every day this weekend hunkered under horses for many hours. I suppose the most fun I had was doing the pony. That ended up with me kneeling... He was SO adorable. Thank god for pilates.

I know transitioning from doing the regularly scheduled job to doing trimming for a living is going to be rough. I need to have a minimum of 20 horses per week before I can quit my 'day job.' That means I'll have to do both for a while. I certainly hope it doesn't take too long. My family will never see me. *sigh*

ANYway.. it's a great workout. Now I just need to figure out where I am when it comes to all my other workouts. :)

Mel - I'm with Ellen ... ow.

Ellen - Nice rerouting of thoughts. :) I'm glad you finally were able to get that weight off your mind.

Tik - *lol* I'm sorry .. I didn't drop a weight on my foot, but I did have a horse stomp on one and nearly break a toe - does that count? Gah.. I will NEVER not wear my boots for trimming again.

Ilene - Stuck in your driveway?? Well, I guess if they paid me for the lost wages... I'd take a day off. :D

semmens
05-31-2005, 06:28 PM
:lol:

Uh no...my abs are in hibernation, or on hiatus, or something...they're under there somewhere ! Perhaps in another 15 pounds you may see them again.

Nice to meet you too Ellen...I have been enjoying your posts while in Lurkerland.

Laura

4rabbit
06-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Hi LWL,

Just zooming through. I'm still hanging in here.
yesterday I did 6 kms on the treadmill
today i did 3 kms treadmill and UBW.

Mel, your treadmill workout sounds awesome !
Tiki- You do lunges with a 30 pound dumbell ?? WOW !!

have a great day,rabbit

teapotdynamo
06-01-2005, 08:43 AM
[Quick break from lurkdom]

Mel, I love reading about your medieval torture routines! Of course, I'm too chicken to try them myself. :lol:

Sure you don't want to move to NYC? ;)

tikanique
06-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Mel you are one crazy lady! I was reading your post and was like DANG!!! You put me in mind of one of the trainers at my gym. When he is working out, I often stop and just stare at the creative ways he tortures and grows his muscles. He was doing squats on Monday and I swear I felt like I ought to pray to him. His rear was almost touching the floor!

On another note, today I had to go buy a brown belt because I am now slim enough to wear my shirts tucked INTO my khakis instead of outside hiding the tummy!!! YAY!!!!

Hey Rabbit and Teapot! Come out of lurkdom more often! Hey everybody else!!!!

Tiki.

teapotdynamo
06-01-2005, 10:08 AM
We have one of those trainers at my gym, too. In addition to being, well, hot :lol: , he puts people through the most intense, labyrinthine workouts I've seen. But one day I actually saw him working out himself, and I thought, "Damn... he's even HARDER on himself than he is his clients!"

I'll try to be better about posting... I've just been sorta plateauing with my strength training lately, so I don't feel like I have much to contribute. :shrug:

p.s. Tiki, congrats on the tuckage! I hope I'm there soon myself!

WaterRat
06-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Well, I'm around, but frankly still feeling too punk to exercise. :( I finally - at the insistence of my DH - went to the doctor yesterday. Just as I thought "there's a nasty virus going around, lasts about 3 weeks." Sigh. GUess I just have to ride it out but dang, it's draining and annoying!! Hope to be back doing something by week's end.

ellenuw
06-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Oh, Pat, I hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

I had a GREAT workout today. I met with PT in the afternoon - took the morning to myself and went to an art gallery. Went to the gym after lunch. Did a hard 40 min on the elliptical, then really pushed it with a legs and Bi/Tri workout. I am pumped and ready to have fun tonight (another ball game). Of course, this is my third morning up at 4:30 am, so I hope I make it past the 5th inning ;)

I don't know if it was getting my life back in control or the afternoon workout to "change things up" or getting in the swing of the DCFit run schedule and ready to push again in the gym or the fact that the weather is so nice here ... but I really don't care and I hope this upswing lasts a good long time. I did notice that my "low" this time did not go down as deep and did not last as long - must be something to those endorphins y'all keep talking about :lol:

Oh, and I finally found an energy bar I actually like - it is caled a Larabar. The one i had was "apple pie" and contains dates, walnuts, unsweetened apples, almonds, raisins and cinnamon. Hmm - I have heard of everything in it! 190 calories, 9g fat (1 sat, 3.5 poly, 4.5 mono, 0 trans)23 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 4 g protein. I got it at Whole Foods - worth checking out. I have not liked any of the others - not a fan of real chocolate, so fake choc is even worse for me. Try this. Yum!

Ilene
06-01-2005, 10:30 PM
ellen -- So glad to hear that you're back on the UP swing again... Yes, the endorphin high is an awesome thing, gotta love that... That bar sounds good but there is 16g of sugar in there and that sounds like a lot to me. I find energy or protein bars just make me crave sugar no matter what the label says there is in it, unfortunately...

I had a good run tonight, 6.2k, not long but it was good. No time for the gym though :( , tomorrow is another day...

Mel
06-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Ugh, cardio AGAIN today. Did I ever mention I hate cardio? I think today's torture will be intervals on the cross-trainer. I feel yuck...I'd say it was somethine I ate, but I'm just eating the same old, same old.

Ellen, I wish your "up" mood would rub off without me having to go out and run :lol:

Pat- Sorry you are still under the wather. Hang in there.

Tiki- :high: Belts! Wow! Took me ages to get there psychologically even after I was there physically. Good for you :D

Hi Teapot, Rabbit, Laura, Laura, Meg, Ilene, Sand, Raven...and sorry if I've forgotten you...

Mel

tikanique
06-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Mel, so sorry that you hate the cardio. But its part of the trinity dear so get out there and move your stuff!!!

Ellen, can you bottle your mood and sell it on Ebay? You would be a very rich woman if you could.

Today was cardio and shoulders. I made it into the gym by 5 which is a major accomplishment since I have been getting to bed so late since the time changed. However last night I went to my room, locked the door and MADE myself go to sleep at 10:30. I should do that more often.

Tiki.

Ilene
06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Mel -- Like Tiki said it's the trinity :lol: , but YOU are good just the same for doing it even if you hate it, because when I hated it I did NOT do any cardio at all... Yea I was tired just reading yesterday's workout...

Ellen -- If they can sell old breast implants on e-bay you can certainly sell positive attitude babe!! :lol: Just put it in a nice bottle and you've got it made in the shade :smoking:...

Anyways, I didn't go to the gym today but I will go biking later... TTFN :wave:...

ellenuw
06-02-2005, 05:38 PM
You LWL are so incredible. Don't you realize this Positive Mental Attitude (PMA) is all because of you? I sure don't make it, but get it from watching you do things every day, day in and day out, regardless if you like it or not because you know it needs to be done. Look at your posts - props to all who have done their day, hugs to those who need it, then a description of your exercise that day, or eating or any other victory or place you need an "assist". I have just tried to keep a poitive spin on this exercise thing, and make it a habit so I can do it every day. Sepcifically, experimenting to see what I like (running) and don't like (biking), Audible.com and ripping CDs are my tickets to success. I also think of how I will feel AFTER. We are all in this together. So, since I am not the Artist, who is up for the bottle design (hey, Artmaker - are you lurking? I miss you)? I can manage a program if I am on the right team and we are IT! Watch out e-bay, LWL Inspiration in a Bottle!!

tikanique
06-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Can one of the ingredients be Tequila? I LIKE Tequila!!!!

Tiki.

Ilene
06-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Can one of the ingredients be Tequila? I LIKE Tequila!!!!

Oh the buzz the peeps would get! LWL could make millions!! :lol:

Greekgirl
06-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Hello everyone!

Had a really stressful week, too little sleep and too much work.
DBF is off again to Algeria, so I'm just a little anxious for him to get back om Sunday.
Exercise went well, although I had trouble with staying clean on food.

Hi Laura, nice to meet you too! I know what it is to be lurking, I seem to do it too often, yet the ladies keep forgiving me every time.

I have been invited to go see the Chippendales this Saturday at one of the nearby villages. This is an absolute first for me, but it should be funny to watch how all those French ladies will react to the show. there is one but: it is only 10 Euro's (13 $), so they might be the same guys that started the show over 20 years ago, which would make them about 50 right now...

See you soon all,

Lieke

tikanique
06-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Chippendales??? Those guys are still around? Have fun and if they are cute have even MORE fun.

I got this AM, worked out, made a REALLY healthy lunch and a healthy snack for work today and LEFT THEM ON THE FRIGGIN KITCHEN COUNTER!!! I am so mad. The cafeteria downstairs has the nastiest food on the planet and I have to leave work early today so I can't take a lunch break and go home to pick up my food.

DRAT DRAT DRAT!!

Okay enough fussing, got a question - on days I work triceps and chest, should I work the triceps first or the chest first? Same thing with back / biceps.

Tiki

teapotdynamo
06-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Tiki - I'd love to hear the advice you get, because I'm looking to break down my split some more to kick my weights workouts up a notch (or three!). Right now I just do upper body (all of it -- and it takes forever!) twice a week, abs and lower back twice a week, and legs once.

Had a GREAT UBWO this morning. I've been feeling so weak lately for some reason... I think I may not be eating enough protein to keep me from losing a lot of muscle with all the fat. But today I felt like superwoman (and now my arms and shoulders feel like rags -- love that feeling!). Funny how some days you're just *on*.

Anybody have any favorite sites (other than Stuptuous, which I already read faithfully) for split ideas?

semmens
06-03-2005, 12:13 PM
It's best to work the biggest muscle groups first...tris are "helpers" for chest and if you exhaust them early you won't not be able to do your chest work as well.

I would think the same applies to back and bis.

Laura

Mel
06-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Laura is right. Work chest (or back) first, then tri's (or bi's). It's nearly impossible to do a pushup or bench press if you've already exhausted your triceps.

In general, work larger muscle group to smaller no matter what your split.

My week is degenerating. I did such crazy cardio yesterday that I was in agony by the evening, and had to work late. No workout today, and I'm having a food rebellion. :mad: It's not pretty. I can't wait to get back to lifting next week even if I still have tendonitis!

Mel

tikanique
06-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Mel, Rebel against the Rebellion!!! Thanks for the advice. My chest day is dips, incline press, bench press, skull crushers and abs. I have tried doing this various ways but wasn't really sure which was the most effective because I am also doing this at two different gyms so the different machines seem to weigh differently. For instance I can tricep press more on one gym's machine than on the other so I wasn't sure if it was the order causing all the problems, the machine's weight being off or a combo of the two.

Tiki.

ellenuw
06-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi all - Happy Sat! Ilene, hopw all went well in your Relay for Life. Wow!

I did 7 miles this morning in 1:31:30 (or so). Not exactly sure because we crossed with the Race for the Cure folks pretty much at the start of their race, stopped for a few minutes to let them get by, etc. Since I am not training so much for time (except to finish before the course closes) as endurance I am OK with this. It was a good push to see so many people out besides our group. So far so good, but my ankles are sore (as is par for me on long days).

Thurs night I went to a seminar on core strengthening and conditioning for runners. It was sponsored by DCFit and put on by another group here in town that seems more geared the physical therapy and sports/dance training. It was informative and they let us try each of the 6 exercises they were discussing and came around and checked us for form. It was a great session. They also offer a running assessment where they put you on a treadmill and video tape you and give you a bunch of recommendations for form and posture as well as exercises to improve time and stamina and information to take to buy shoes. It is $125 with the discount and I think it makes sense for me to do this. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but it would be even more costly if I hurt myself. My trainer has agreed to come and listen and ask questions so he can incorporate their recommendations into my sessions (wow, what a guy). I find the thing that has made the biggest difference for me must be the Pilates. I am thinking about trying to do a more even split and do Pilates 2x a week and yoga 2x a week, at least through the summer, or as long as my scheudule and stamina allows. Yoga certainly clears my mind and makes me more limber but the Pilates really seems to help in the running. I thought about "scooping" a lot today and it made the 7 miles much easier.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

tikanique
06-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Ellen - you are doing so great! 7 Miles is very impressive.

Oh yeah, the scales are 4 pounds down. Its so weird how it doesn't do anything and then does a CRAZY jump.

Tiki