Exercise! - Cool Runners #8 May 30-June 5

View Full Version : Cool Runners #8 May 30-June 5

Ilene
05-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Hey Runners Wassup this week??

Last week I ran a total of 25k only so I'm going to bring that up to at least 30k!!

Today I may do treadmill intervals for a change...

TTFB :wave:

LeanneM83
05-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey COOL RUNNERS

Well, I DID IT!! I did my VERY 1ST 10km race on Saturday night! WOW, it was AWESOME....AND I did it in the EXACT goal time I had set for myself....I did the 10km in 65 minutes! YAY YAY YAY I am soooooooooooooooo happy!

WHAT AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE....I can honestly say this was my first race, but the FIRST of MANY...I think it is in my blood now, and I can only get better at it!
Okay here is a pic of me stretching before the race, and then me with my boys after I had finished!(my daughter was sleeping-haha)

ANywho,
Happy MONDAY everyone!
Leanne
10km race FINISHER....hey, I wasnt even last I was in the MIDDLE

MrsDawsondn
05-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Wayto Go LeanneM83
:cb: :cheer: :dancer::cb::cheer::dancer::cb::cheer::dancer::cb: :cheer::cb::cheer::dancer::cb::cheer::dancer::cb:

:tread:

How awesome are you!!!! Great and you finished in the middle as well Woohoo I am vicariously living my own 10 k marathon through your accomplishment LOL. I'm happy for you and you look absolutely AWESOME in the streching and race pictures as well. The kids are a beauty. When you get a chance show the baby as well I'm sure she's a beauty although she was sleeping.

Ilene
05-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Leanne -- Way to go :high:, you look glowing in your pics...

LeanneM83
05-30-2005, 10:25 AM
HAHAHAHA, MRS DAWSON...here is sleeping beauty....

Leanne

MrsDawsondn
05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Wow Ilene I never really tally up how much I've ran in one week but I'll be sure to start doing that now. Unfortunately I didn't run this weekend because I'd overslept but I have been doing my exercise dvds and vcr movies. I feel a little guilty because I haven't been running though. I am getting back on the wagon after 2 days and I'm going to run tomorrow morning as usual. Atleast I have been exercising :dunno: LOL.

LeanneM83
05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Oops, Sorry to post again...but I really was "glowing" partly because this was the most athletic thing I have EVER done (besides giving birth to my three kids) but ALSO, because I spilled MORE gatorade on me than I got IN my mouth....hahaha

Thanks, Leanne

MrsDawsondn
05-30-2005, 10:29 AM
HAHAHAHA, MRS DAWSON...here is sleeping beauty....

Leanne

Oh she is a beauty is that red hair or strawberry blonde? Anyhoo she is just too cute! Congrats.

Ilene
05-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Oh , so that's what the glow is sticky Gatorade :lol:

ellenuw
05-30-2005, 11:20 AM
this was the most athletic thing I have EVER done (besides giving birth to my three kids) ...

Thanks, Leanne

Oh, Leanne, ROFL ...

Congratulations on an amazing finish! You give me the incentive to go forward. I KNOW I can do this, too, maybe not as fast, but I can get it done. Wow! 65 minutes. Woo Woo!!

I went out for my 30 minute run this morning - actually ended up at 35 min plust 10 minute walk to get home. Then I did an UBWO with my trainer. Off to the baseball game this afternoon. Hope everyone has a Happy M-day.

paperclippy
05-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Great job Leanne!! :cheer:

My bf and I had a nice Memorial Day jog this morning . . . there were LOTS of joggers out! I had to walk partway -- we missed our turn, went farther than we were expecting, and as usual I couldn't handle the hill. :p But I recovered once we got to the top of the hill and made it the rest of the way home. I think the total was about 5K. Our weather is finally BEAUTIFUL instead of freezing or raining! I think it will be getting hot pretty soon though. Next time I run outside I need to remember to wear a baseball cap so I don't burn my scalp!

WalkingGal
05-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I DID IT!! I did my VERY 1ST 10km race on Saturday night! Happy MONDAY everyone!......I wasn't even last I was in the MIDDLE

Leanne ~ That is just AWESOME news. Thanks for sharing how well you did. :cb:

Exercise today: 2.22 miles on the treadmill...half jogging. Getting better everyday.

Have a super day everyone!

~ Nat

Only Me
05-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Leanne, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so glad your race went exactly as planned. Was there a finisher's medal for your kids to fight over (ok, maybe that's just my kids)? And your kids are adorable. I've seen their b-days in your sig., but looking at them I just realized that wow, they're even younger than my trio, and you're running 10k!

Anine
05-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Congrats, Leanne, great job!

I did my last "long" run yesterday, before my first marathon next Saturday. Stockholm, here I come! I've been doing a walk/run program, so I never really run for a long time without walk breaks. Yesterday I decided to see if I was able to run for 5 k without stopping, and I did it! 5 k at marathon pace (40 min) without walking. That convinced me that I will infact be able to finish my marathon, and do whatever I decide to do. It's more a mental race than anything else after all, and if I think I can do it, I will be able to finish too.

This week, I will take it very easy, maybe go for a short slow run on Wednesday, so that I'm well rested for my big day on Saturday. Wish me luck!

WazzuGirl
05-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Leanne,

That is a great time for a 10k! It sounds like you had a great time too -- you look so happy in your pics! :D

I have a silly question but I have to ask - does anyone know how many laps around a track equals 1 mile? I think its 4 laps but I'm not totally sure about that. I have been running on the high school track lately because it's nicer to my feet than pavement. I've been running for the past two weeks but I haven't been able to guage my distance -- I'd really like to know the distances I'm running. :p

Have a great Monday everyone! :)

Anine
05-30-2005, 01:15 PM
does anyone know how many laps around a track equals 1 mile? I think its 4 laps
1 lap is usually 400 meters, and 1 mile is 1609 meters, so 4 laps should be a mile ;)

LeanneM83
05-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Aw, I am blushing thanks so much everyone!

Only Me...Yes, there was a medal and yes I let them wear it for a "short" time...luckily, my hubby did the 1/2 marathon yesterday (in an awesome time too-1 hour 38 minutes--20.1km)So we have 2 medals and my boys keep wearing them..!!!

Leanne

WalkingGal
05-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I am so excited!!! I finally bought my first pair of 'official' running shoes and some running socks. I'm going to shoot for 3 miles tomorrow. Wish me luck!! :flow1:

On another note. I have been on another forum for 1 1/2 years now. I started up a Walking Group and do everyone's weekly totals. Well, I'm having some mixed feelings about some of the girls not getting along and I think I am going to leave. Since I am not doing much walking anymore this might be the perfect opportunity for me to make my move. Thankfully, I am fortunate enough to have a good friend who will take over the group for me so that is a huge relief. Maybe I will not leave but just take a 'vacation'. We all need one of those sometimes don't we? Thanks for letting me ramble.

p.s. I added a pic of me if you are curious who is behind this post. :crazy: This little dude is so cute......can anybody say weird sense of humor??? ;)

Ilene
05-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Leanne -- What will you do when DD gets older, run the marathon twice to get her a medal too :lol3: ?? ....

Walking Gal -- Nice picture in your profile... What king of ''official'' :lol: runners did you get, I'm due for a new pair I think.... They are going on 600k, is it time for a change yet girls ??

Today it's a beautiful day here, so I'm going to give my knees a rest and bike to the gym for LEGS :strong: then go out for a good ride :D...

TTFN ,,, :wave:

Only Me
05-31-2005, 11:46 AM
Anine, good luck with your marathon this weekend!

Walking Gal, good luck with your new shoes and your 3 miles!

Ilene, my way of telling that I need new shoes is that my knees start getting sore even after easier runs. For me, it was around 600km. But, some people can wear shoes longer. If you start getting new aches and pains, buy some new ones. Or try on some new ones and if they feel much better then it's probably time for new shoes. But they cost so much that I know I only want to replace them if I need to.

10k total for me this morning, with 4 1k intervals at a much faster speed than normal for me. I'm not sure if the intervals are helping me or not. Guess I'll get a chance to find out on Sunday.

LeanneM83
05-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Ilene- honestly I am hoping as my kids get older they will get involved in this too, we will do those family fun runs, and that should get them used to it, so when they are old enough they can do this too (if they want)but for now I could give her a plastic lid and she'd be quite happy...hahahaha

I ran 5 km yesterday in 30:20 YAY...so I wont be running today but I will do some other cardio/weight training, I think I have decided my goal is going to be to run the 10km in UNDER 1 hour....I think that is a FAIR goal...and not going to take too much time away from my kids to start...once I master 10km in under an hour, I may move on to bigger runs...who knows....but the possibilities are endless!! Which is exciting!

hAPPY DAY EVERYONE

Leanne :lol:
CW 120.6

slimmingsi
05-31-2005, 12:12 PM
howdy everyone i yesterday got round to starting my training for next years london marathon i was supposed to start traing 10 days ago but i fell up the stairs and twisted my knee. so i at 266 (fatboy!) managed 4.2km on the tread mill in 35mins including about 1km walk for a warm up. and 1km in the pool in 40 mins. my only problem is that i have within the last 4 years dislocated both ankles more than once so i have them both heavily strapped and that hurts my feet after 20 mins or so anyone any ideas how to stop it or is it one of those things you just get used to

WalkingGal
05-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Annie ~ Big cheers are headed your way for Saturday's big event!!

Leanne ~ My motto has always been 'Think Positive' so that is sort of like your 'The possibilities are endless' Keep dreaming big and keep basking in your glory....YOU EARNED IT!!

Ilene ~ King of official runners huh? Cute. Well, I recently went shopping for shoes and I swear I tried on about 8 different kinds only to leave the store empty handed. I was so disappointed. Sunday....I decided to try one more time and ended up at a new store in town. I was fortunate enough to get some help and someone who took the time to listen and she found out what was causing me to 'not buy'. I guess I have narrow heels or something because every single shoe I tried on 'slipped' really bad. Apparently there is a shoe designed for women by women called Rykas. All I can say is WOW!!! I knew in an instant that they were the pair for me. I'll let you know after my run this afternoon how they work out.

Slimmingsi ~ OUCH!!! Sounds like you are hurting. I am too new to give you some tips but I'm sure one of the others will be along shortly. Take care.

Monkeypoodle
05-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi everybody!

Hope the weekend was fun for you.

I did 9 miles on Sunday. My knees were pretty sore yesterday, so outside of shopping, gardening and cooking, I didn't do much exercise. I'm back to daily runs today. And looking forward to 10 miles this coming Sunday!

WalkingGirl, I hope the Rykas work for you. It's really tough to find the perfect shoe. I used to run in Sauconys and loved them for many years. Somewhere along the way either they changed the shoe or my feet changed (or both), but I just didn't have the fit I used to. I'm now running in Brooks with orthotics for my arches (or lack thereof), and I'm feeling pretty good.

Sometimes it takes awhile to break in the shoe. My Brooks hurt at first, but I think I tried to go too far in them too quickly. I broke them in slowly and now they feel good.

Anine - good luck on the marathon. It sounds like you are totally ready. I hope you have fun. I'm doing the walk/run thing too, although my marathon isn't til October.

Everyone else, have a good one!

NillaWafer
05-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Should I be posting my daily workouts, which are centered around trainking for a k5, here or in the accountability thread?

LeanneM83
05-31-2005, 02:23 PM
*As far as shoes, I have my New Nike Shox to run indoors and my awesome New Balance for running outdoors...I have been wearing the new balance for 2 years now, but they are SOOO awesome and in GREAT shape but the Nike just do not compare...they are nice, cute and comfy but my NB's fit like a GLOVE....Sometimes breaking in shoes is better done in moderation...hahaha one step at a time...
I love hearing about everyone's runs and accomplishments, it is wonderful, but also great to know that other people feel similar aches and pains to mine...

Leanne

WalkingGal
05-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Monkeypoodle ~ Awesome job on the 9 miles miles. WHOOHOO!!

I bought Ryka's because the heel is slimmer and the toe box is bigger. My plan was to buy New Balance but my heel slipped A LOT. Same with the Nike, Saucony, Avia and Reebok.

Well....I just finished 3.13 miles. WHEW!!! That is the most I have ever done on the treadmill. I may not be able to do it again for another year...just kidding....I think....LOL :dizzy: My jogging the last two days has been at a speed of 5.0 (YAY). Baby steps.....yep.....baby steps. ;)

Ilene
05-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Walking Gal -- Well that was a typo and a half :s: Sorry 'bout that I meant to say what 'kind' of official running shoes did you get yourself, Nike? Adidas? And I see you've answered my question... After your run did your Rykas still feel good? My very first official pair of runners were Nike Pegasus and they fit like a glove from the get go...

Nilla -- Here is a good place as any to post your 5k workouts because it's all about running in here :D...

Anine -- You go girl we'll be :coach: e-cheering you !! Think of us!

Monkeypoodle -- 9 miles way to go :high:

Leanne -- My goal for the moment is to run a 10k under 1 hour, my 10k in April was 68mins, which i thought was excellent because most of my 10k pre-race runs were like 1h20 :o ...

slimmingsi -- Go see a doctor about your feet and ankles and knees don't run through the pain you could injure yourself beyond repair....

tikanique
05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Wow! Everyone is doing so great! 9 miles and couple marathons runners complete with couple marathon medals, a race this Saturday, its great reading this thread.

Slimmingsi - I hope you get to a doc and get some help quick. Injuries are NO fun.

My outdoor all-terrain running shoes are New Balance but for the indoor track and the high school track, I love Nike Max Air along with the padded running socks. Feels SO good. I hit the high school track after work and learned a valuable lesson - do NOT go after work. There were the high school team practicing, the evening walkers and about 3 different kids track teams out there. It was like running in rush hour. I ran / swerved for 2 miles and then headed home. However, tomorrow is supposed to be bright and sunny so I will hit the track at 6 AM when the joint is not as crowded.

Tiki.

paperclippy
05-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Ilene -- my running shoes are Brooks brand - I got them at a running store. The guy who ran the store would yank out a pair of shoes and have me run around, then find better shoes (more arch support, etc). I think Brooks specializes in running shoes. I'm very happy with them, but I don't put on the kind of mileage that you do! :)

MrsDawsondn
06-01-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm doing alright over this way I think LOL. I am sooooo tired today I was so sluggish this morning it was hard to pray, walk, get the kids together this morning, everythang LOL. I took a cold rag to my face, mouthwash and everything. I took my vitamins this morning and everything but I just cannot get into the swing of things. I broke down this morning and have a cappucino in front of me . I haven't drunk coffee, or cappucino or hot chocolate since January :sp:. And i was a coffeeaholic LOL. I had to cut it out cause of acid reflux. I pray this doesn't get addictive No it won't get addictive I have control over this. I'm just wondering why I can shake this tiredness that I have. I was like this yesterday too. This morning I had my running attire set out in front of me but I was so sleepy I couldn't even rise to get it. I hate this stupid dangon flesh. While it was weak my spirit should've been willing my big lazy butt to get up off of the couch!!! Ugghh I am so sick with myself I haven't ran in like 4 days. And I know when I finally get up the nerve to do it it's gonna be twice as hard. I hate this time of month my hormones are all out of wack (TMI SOrry Guys), my eating habits have been a mess as well and I'm not talking about pigging out on sweets either, I've just been eating to be eating. I am so disgusted with my undisciplined behavior these past couple of days. But I'm going to get it together. With the Holy Ghost as my witness, I will get this togeva!!! Other than that I'm doing well? Got any inspiration? I need it LOL. :^:

LeanneM83
06-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Mrs Dawson- lol, I know sometimes during those crampy times of the month it is HARD to think of running, but I swear to you it HELPS...when ever I am crampy and dont WANT to run, I do and I really do feel better!!

Ilene- 68 minutes is a GREAT time, and 12 minutes FASTER than you had run before, that is GREAT!!....With my race I found the HARDEST km was actually the FIRST...everyone was Bunched up, harder to get into a pace and I thought for SURE I would be over 65 minutes, but something kicked in at 9km and I swear my legs were going faster than I have ever seen these short things go (I am 5'2, my legs arent long) So my LAST km was my fastest-lol!

Just wondering what everyone wears while running??? I wear my adidas running PANTS (summer or winter-pants/capri's always) and a t shirt or tank top...
Happy Day everyone!

Leanne

NillaWafer
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Congrats on the great 10k Leanne!!

Monday did my usual 10 walk/20 run/10 min walk. Since this is my second week back into running I have been breaking up the 20 & 10 min runs. I broke up the 20 by doing 4 and 1 run walk but I can already tell it is coming back to me pretty quick. After my first round of 4 run 1 walk I felt like I could have gone longer.
Tuesday didn't go as planned. I was scheduled for an easy 30 minute walk with 30 minutes of strength training. I completed my walk but never made it to strength training due to tummy troubles :mad:
Today went much better! 10 min brisk walk then 10 min run (broken down to 4 min run, 1 min brisk walk and then 5 minute run) ending with a 10 minute brisk run. It felt great!

MrsDawsondn
06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
okay quick update. Thanks Leanne for your encouragement i did a good workout on my lunch in the fitness center next door and I'm feeling tons better. I hate these hormone highs and lows I tell ya LOL. I'm back in the race and I'm not giving up and I still realize that the hardest thing about working out or running is starting. Starting is the hardest thing to do. Once you get started and keep at it for 1 full minute/ 60 seconds your hooked and you don't wanna stop. I guess I was agonizing over it when all I really needed to do was to be like Nike and Just do it. Well i did it and I feel much better.

Oh yes and my running attire consists of some sweat pants, a t-shirt a sports bra and a sweat jacket zipped up over it. I am very heavy chested as well as big all over right now so I pretty much cover up so as not to distract too many drivers into having a wreck while watching a big black woman run down the street :rofl:

tikanique
06-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I wear stretchy capris, t-shirt and a sports bra that would hold back Niagara Falls. As I lose weight, the girls are getting "flappier" and I don't want to shake what's left of their tone out.

Tiki.

paperclippy
06-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Leanne - I usually wear workout pants (I tried shorts, but my thighs chafe too much -- I'm thinking of buying bike shorts or something to stop it), a sports bra (my bf calls it "the super-bra" :lol: ), and a small T-shirt. I don't have any tank tops that I could wear without my super-bra showing ;) so I stick to T-shirts for now. And of course my running shoes and my running socks. If it's cool out I'll wear a sweatshirt too. Now that it's starting to get hot, I need to remember to wear a baseball cap or something too so I don't burn my scalp!

MrsDawson - you are so right, getting started is totally the hardest! I'm also big-chested (though my boobs have finally shrunk a size thanks to all this dieting, woohoo!), but I found a sports bra that's sized in bra sizes (instead of just S, M, L, XL) and has an underwire so that running isn't painful!

I feel like I've been slacking on the running lately -- I've only been running twice a week and cross-training on my third workout day. But I just signed up for a circuit training class on the days I usually don't work out, so maybe that will motivate me to just run on the other three days. I think I've also been starting out too fast, so that I run out of energy after one mile. :p I keep seeing everyone's great times around here and I think to myself "I should be able to run two miles in 24 minutes" but the fact is that after one 12-minute mile I'm exhausted! :rofl: I guess my speed and endurance still need a lot of work!

Ilene
06-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Paperclippy --Just keep improving your time and nevermind ours, you will eventually get up there, I'm a fine one to talk though I'm not even ''up there'' myself, and I really don't mind I just run for fun...

Nilla -- Your workout sounds really good keep it up...

MrsDawson -- Yes, those damn hormones are a pain in the you-know-where, but you're absolutely right like Nike says :coach: JUST DO IT! Good for you for going out there today ... It's one foot in front of the other , one minute at a time....

I bought 2 pairs of these shorts this year http://www.shop.runningroom.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=695 and I love them... When I went to the Running Room I was a bit embarassed to ask the VERY young man behind the counter if they had shorts that didn't give you a wedgy, he laughed and said I wasn't the first to ask that and these shorts where selling very well ... I do love them! Sports bra of course, I got a Champion one at the Running Room the same day I bought the shorts, I also wear sunglasses and a baseball cap ALL the time in the hopes, no one will recognise me :lol: ... I wear a sleeveless dry weave t-shirt, I also have a long sleeved one for cooler days. I've been wearing shorts since it's been 12C outside.

It's very warm here today 28C :dance: we even put the air condition on, we're new at this and it's the first time we turn it on.... I love it, the other added bonus is that it keeps the windows closed against all the dust that the construction is stirring up...

I may be running tonight around 7:30 with the teacher from school, I hope it won't be too hot then...

MrsDawsondn
06-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Clapping yayy for me I did it. I finally got up and took a wonderful run. My times are getting faster and faster. My last recorded run was 1.6 miles in 21:39 today it is down to 20:52. Woohoo I am shaving my time off by second. And also I have to walk up 3 flights of stairs to get to my apartment and I did that after running no sweat, so this is just awesome. I'm just waiting for the Rocky song to play so I can jump around with my hands up in the air LOL.

ellenuw
06-02-2005, 07:21 AM
MrsD - do do do diddy-do - run up those steps :D

As for me, I run in pants (no confidence for shorts) a long sleeve cool-max shirt or one from Sun Precautions (I have sun allergies), and a baseball hat - mostly to keep myhair out of my face and sweat from pouring down.

LeanneM83
06-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey everyone...

Yes, I forgot I ALWAYS wear a hat when running to keep the hair out of my face...I didnt run yesterday because I had a VERY hectic day...so that was very tiring so I will make up for it today on my run!...
Tiki- lol, now that I have lost all my weight, my chest is QUITE flappy...thank goodness for push up bra's...

I am searching for a new running schedule that will help me run my 10km FASTER...I am still trying to determine which one will fit into my daily schedule better. I have a jogging stroller so I can take my young ones in that and my oldest can ride his bike, b/c some days ANY run is better than no run!

Last night I got 2 great compliments....#1 my dentist (who is a military dentist and a runner) said " you have a great build for running, you should have no problem getting faster at it...lol, made me feel good he could have said, your short and your legs are short, dont kid yourself...lol (glad he didnt) and #2 was a girl at the dentist asked if she could have teeth like mine...lol...and others agreed I have great teeth...lol...again, made me feel good...if they only knew all the $$$$$ to keep these teeth nice...hahahaha

Ok, so today is going to be another great day....hope everyone has LOTS of sunshine!

Leanne

laura_on_a_bike
06-02-2005, 09:43 AM
hello everyone. i have been MIA for quite some times. i see a lot of new faces around here. i guess i will briefly catch those who remember me up on my progress. i was training for a marathon before i disappeared. i got the flu and training completely stopped. then i got a puppy. training never really resumed. recently, the doggy and i have been going for runs. i'm not focussed on long distances anymore, just getting out and having fun running again. my downhill mountain bike race season has started, so i am trying to focus my efforts on getting ready for that. missed the first race because of a car accident (everyone is fine).

i've been really running and watching what i eat because in two weeks i go to miami/ft. lauderdale, and key west, and i will be sporting my first 2 piece ever. i'm excited. well, its good to see that some of you are still running. i love seeing all the new names around here. i plan on keeping in touch for a while. who knows, maybe i'll get motivated to train for that marathon yet.

-la

tikanique
06-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi all,

Leanne, I totally agree on the ANY run is better than No Run. That was me this weekend with all those 2 mile runs I got in. However this morning I got into the gym at 5AM and ran for 50 minutes. I think I got in about 4 miles. Its so hard to keep count of the laps when you are singing along with the Ipod Mini!

Tiki.

Only Me
06-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Leanne, lately I've been wearing Dash shorts from MEC and a coolmax tshirt I picked up at costco. I wore Dash pants in late winter/early spring and found them pretty comfortable. But I get overheated easily, so I bought a pair of the shorts this spring. They're long enough and I bought them small enough that they don't ride up and they go most of the way to my knees. I want to get a sleeveless dryfit or coolmax shirt soon too after running this morning in 20C temps with sun; at least there was a nice breeze. Some people can't deal with running in the cold weather, but I'd pick 0C over 20C+ any day.

Mrs.D, sounds like you're speeding up!

Laura, welcome back. Glad to hear you're running and enjoying it again.

8k tempo run for me this morning. Last run of any length before Sunday's 10k race. I'll probably do an easy 3-5k on Saturday am if I have time, but I'll force myself to take it really easy.

WazzuGirl
06-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Mrs D. Glad you got your run in -- Starting is the hardest thing for me too, but once I get out there it feels amazing :)

Leanne -- I usually just wear some black shorts I got at Ross, I think they are Champion. I don't think they're running shorts but they work anyhow. :D I want to know more about those coolmax shirts I keep hearing about. A lot of runners say they are wayyy better than cotton. What do you guys think??

Today I walked/jogged about 10 laps around the track. I actually jogged for one whole lap without stopping. :lol: BIG accomplishment for me. I can slowly begin to feel my endurance building. My breathing feels like it's getting under control -- I think I can actually do this!

Sweater Girl
06-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi all,

Sorry I have been MIA. My running has been great, although I got sick two weeks ago and had to take a week off which included the Nordion 10K which I had paid for in April:(

Anyway I am still group leading 10Ks and should be starting my half-marathon training soon. I wasn't officially going to train for it since I might need surgery in the fall, but I decided "why not". If I need surgery, I need surgery I figure.

As for shorts... Winners, Sport Mart... I got my last pair at RR... I can't wear loose shorts due to being large thighed and chafing issues, so I wear the tighter ones that don't ride up.

Leanne: Glad you did well in the 10K! I am also blessed with great teeth, my dentist says I have the perfect bite and teeth arrangement and was shocked to learn it wasn't through wearing braces but through genetics... As for getting faster, there is always Running Start to Finish by John Stanton which has programs with times to strive for for runs. Also on your long runs go slow. It really does increase your speed by building your cardio base.

As for distance running and losing weight.. anybody trying to balance the two. I have gotten smaller (well in may my nutrition wasn't the greatest so I stayed the same or even put on a little), but if I eat too little I am exhausted. I know losing weight will take a little longer. It's hard to balance sometimes (and I am a libra:)).

Take care!

Ali

Ilene
06-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Wazzu -- I wear only Coolmax stuff now, got rid of all my cotton stuff... Coolmax never feels wet and dries in not time at all ... I love it needless to say!

I'm not running today just walking alll night :eek: ... I registered for the Cancer Society Relay Walk for LIfe and it starts tonight at 6PM and finishes at 6AM :faint:... I'm worried cause I'm not a night person at all I hope the time flies by FAST ....

WaterRat
06-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Yay, Ilene!! I'll be cheering you on from here. My DH is a 5 year cancer survivor, and usually walks in our RFL (we were gone this year). :D

ellenuw
06-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Anine and Ilene - best of luck to you both this weekend. I will be thinking and cheering you on!!

tikanique
06-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Gee, I wonder how Ilene is doing. Assuming we are in the same time zone, she has two hours down and 10 more to go.

We're cheering for you Ilene! And you to Annie! I know you are gonna do great.

Tiki

ellenuw
06-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Ilene - did you make it??? Huh? Huh?

Annie - I know you did a great job! How do you feel?

You ladies rock!

I did 7 miles today in 1:31:30. I feel pretty good now - about the same as I did after 6. I think these mid-week runs and slow build ups will help me make it to 26.2!

Did you hear about the Lakeshore Marathon in Chicago last weekend? They measured an extra mile into the course. I feel for those runners :(

Ilene
06-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Hey Gang :wave: ... I made it, sort of ... I found out that I didn't really need to stay ALL night but as long as I walked my 1 hour with my team of 10 for a total of 10 hours it was all good ... So I stayed there from 5:30 to 10:30pm walked an 1.5 hrs and had to leave because of the dust. They were walking on a semi dirt/gravel track and my contacts were dry as a bone and putting my glasses on is not an option for me because I had driven there and I cannot see when I wear my glasses ( I have eye problems, it's a long boring story ) ... I really enjoyed it though and there were many people there that I didn't even know had cancer and were survivors... It was very emotional and it touched home for me because my dad starts radiation therapy this week, he's been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Thank you so much for your encouragement...

:coach: GO ANNIE GO !!

Here's a link to last years WFL http://www.nfandlab.cancer.ca/ccs/internet/standard/0,3182,3543_361967_98857169_langId-en,00.html

tikanique
06-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Ilene,

Too bad about the dust but GREAT JOB on hanging in there. I hope all goes well with your dad and his upcoming treatments. He and you will be in my prayers.

Go Annie, Go!! We're looking for an update girl!

Tiki.

Only Me
06-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Good job Ilene!

I ran a 10k race this morning (about 6.2 miles for you Americans). My dream time was 53:00 and I ran it in 52:51.7. Hooray for mainly downhill courses and cooler temperatures! Although I could have done without the last 2k being mainly up hill after 7.5k of down. The only thing that got my time under 53:00 was seeing the clock for the last hundred metres or so and realizing that if I sped up a little, I'd break my goal. I spent a good portion of the first 6k running at about the same pace as the only 60+ year old woman in the race. Dh tells me she finished very close behind me. How inspiring. I hope I'm still running in 30 years time!

I hope Anine's marathon went well.

WazzuGirl
06-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Wow...good for you only me! You beat your goal time -- woohoo! :D

I just did my training run for C25K. I am starting week 4 -- I walked/ran 2 miles on the track. Slowly building my endurance...I'm really starting to enjoy this running thing. It's so challenging!

Ilene
06-05-2005, 06:31 PM
Ran 11k this morning it was an excellent... It felt much longer than 11k though maybe it's because a lot of it was hills, it took me a very long time though 1:31, but hey I enjoyed it and it wasn't a race :D...