South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #1  

Default what foods on the phase 1 list DON'T work for you?

i'm sure there are certain foods that make people stall. i'm getting a lot of flack in a different forum over hummus- which is on the list. i don't even finish the 1/3 cup that comes with my serving of veggies. are there other foods that, although on the list, are things to watch out for? just curious! thanks!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Magpie, I've never heard of anything on the P1 list making someone stall. I ate buckets of hummus during P1 when I did it and I lost 26 pounds. My blood pressure went down, I was no longer incontinent, my cholesterol went down, etc. It didn't affect my loss or my health.

Not sure why people would be yelling at you for eating hummus. Personally, I'd ignore them. And remember, if the people in another forum are Atkins devotees, that we don't care about the number of carbs. Atkins people often are shocked to see me eating bell peppers or tomatoes. Personally, that makes me feel lucky to be on this plan.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #3  

I can plan on not losing weight anytime I eat nuts.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:32 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 2"

Same for me with the nuts.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Ditto on the nuts. I had a hard time sticking to the 30 limit, and would down the entire bag of pistachios. Now I can't stand the things.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #6  
Cat Lover

Phase I was easy as long as you stick to the portion size! Absolutely the nuts could take you into a stall!!! Now the enemy of success on P2 is (for me):

wine & SF stuff

Fortuneately the SF stuff doesn't work well in my intestines and thus I don't eat too much (plus check out the thread on artificial sweeteners...makes you wonder).

I found P1 to be really simple. I love SB because veggies are good (which they are).

Sandi
Old 08-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #7  

nuts as well
Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Peanut butter and nuts because I wasn't careful about portion control. I could easily go through 1/2 a jar in one day, just by taking a spoonful whenever I got hungry. Hmm, and you know how much you can put on a teaspoon? Peanut butter doesn't fall off the spoon .

edited to add: Some forums focus on different aspects of SBD. Some do see it as a low carb way of eating and get really upset to see anyone eating beans. Others are into low fat and see hummus as a fat laden food. Is that the case with your other forum?

Sarah
Old 08-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #9  

Oh, wow. How did I skip the fact that we can eat hummus??????

I also tend to go overboard with the peanut butter. I think that has stalled me in the past.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #10  

PB, nuts, and cool whip
Old 08-03-2005, 06:55 AM   #11  

Yeah, that delish PB Cup gets me every time. And nuts. Hummus and beans in general slow me down a bit too, but not too much.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #12  
Kyemom

Why would this stuff slow people down? If it is part of the plan, I thought it was ok to eat? I am still new to a lot of this...help.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Kyeman,
For many items it's portion control problem, if you can eat only 30 pistachios or 2 t (?) of peanut butter a day then there is no problem. What many of us are saying is that we lack the self control to only eat the single serving or nuts or peanut butter a day. It's better not to eat it at all.

Everyone is different, some people can eat certain foods and have no problems with them and other people can eat the same foods and stall or develop cravings. It's part of the learning curve, we learn what works and what doesn't as we go along.

We have learned to think historically and not calorically and tend to box out certain foods (I've been brainwashed by that book I'm reading-The Thin Commandments, I posted a thread about it a while back.)

Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-03-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #14  
Kyemom

Thanks Sarah...I read your Thin Commandments posts..they were great. I think I got it now!!!! mine would probably be crackers & cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #15  

Yeah, cool whip for me too. For me a "serving" is about 1/4 of the container!
Closed Thread