Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #1  

Question Crystal Light and SF Jello?

I love crystal light and sugar free jello and while i am on atkins i tend to live on the stuff. But do you think that eating eight servings of jello a day and almost two quarts of crystal light are REALLY adding up to too many carbs?!!??
Help!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

What is the carb count? Remember that a carb count can be listed as 0 if it is less than 1 per serving. For example, something with .9 carbs would be listed as 0. When you have 10 servings, you would have had 9 carbs although you are thinking 0! Be careful!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #3  
gothicbbw

dr. atkins recommends not consuming products containing aspartame as it slows down weight loss in some people. sugar-free jello, crystal light and diet colas all contain aspartame. just keep an eye on your weight loss and if it isn't effected by your aspartame intake then, good for you! i have to stay away from it as it makes me lose weight slower. if i could have aspartame i'd have alot more food choices in the way of treats.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #4  
I believe in Futures

Jessiekins,

Aspartame slows weight loss? Wow, that's news to me! Isn't aspartame in all 0 calorie flavored water? Essentially most diet or sugar-free products?
Old 05-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #5  
gothicbbw

yes, it's in the "dr. atkins new diet revolution" book. i have the paperback and it's on page 189:

"avoid aspartame. although the cause is as yet unknown, clinical observations show that certain individuals find weight loss slows with excessive intake of aspartame, the atificial sweetener sold as Nutrasweet and Equal."
Old 05-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #6  
I believe in Futures

Hmm, interesting...THANKS!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #7  

I myself have never had any problems with aspartame. I drink anywhere from 2 to 4 cans of diet soda per day and an occasional treat that has it in it.

Now... I am a big guy, so perhaps I am not as sensitive to it. However, in years past, even when I got down to a much more "respectable" weight I never really worried much about it.

BTW... concerning the label saying 0 grams even though there could be up to .9. That may be true, however many times I have seen a label and it will say carbohydrate grams = LESS THAN ONE. I guess it's whatever they want to do with that.

Thank You

TEDDYBEAR
Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Some people have problems with artificial sweeteners. Some don't. If you're not having a problem losing weight with the jello and crystal light I'd say keep going
Old 08-24-2005, 12:20 AM   #9  
low-carb forever!

S/C/G: 206/137/137

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells282
I love crystal light and sugar free jello and while i am on atkins i tend to live on the stuff. But do you think that eating eight servings of jello a day and almost two quarts of crystal light are REALLY adding up to too many carbs?!!??
Help!
I count Crystal Light as one carb per 8 oz. and SF Jello as zero. But don't live on the stuff. Keep it to one or two servings a day. I eat SF Jello daily, but normally just 1 cup. That much artificial sweetener is not good for you and will hinder your weight loss.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:51 AM   #10  

I think the problem is when the sweetener is powdered. Powder is bulk and probably has carbs. Things like Splenda are liquid and carb free but once they put the liquid on the powder so you can "measure like sugar" you have carbs.
Watch out for liquid drinks that you can buy- they may have been made with bulk sweetener or liquid sweetener. If you have probs with a drink cut back.
Personally, I think 2 quarts of sweet drink is a crutch you need to break. Try drinking 2 quarts plain water (or more) before allowing yourself a soft drink. Craving carbs can be physical and psychological as well. Get used to not having sweet things all the time. You'll do better for it.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #11  

Default Carb Addict

I agree about the sweet drinks being a crutch. Although I am new to the WOL, I know that I, myself, cannot have things that are sweetened, even with artificial sweetners. When I first began LCing I was drinking flavored water, no regular plain water, just FLAVORED! And it was sweetened with Splenda. I love splenda. But whenever I have just even a little bit of something sweet it triggers bad bad cravings in me. I am very carb addicted and the smallest thing triggers me wanting sweets and junk! I am starting over LCing this week for the first time in about 3 months ad this time I am going to do it, at least for the first while (month maybe) with no type of sweets what so ever! Including diet sodas, flavored waters, etc....just plain old water! Good luck to every one!

Devilchild
Old 10-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

I just bought some pre-packaged Sugar Free Jello cups and they say 2 carbs per serving. <1 g sugar alcohol, <1 g fiber.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

Alot of people slow down and stop losing when eating artificial sugar so be careful.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 AM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down Aspartame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells282
Help!
Powdered Crystal Light contains the artificial sweetner, aspartame. Dr. Atkins discouraged the use of aspartame. It is a common staller for most people. Despite what the label may say, powdered Crystal Light does contain carbs. One tub contains 10 carbs. Its the bulk filler that has the carbs, similar to powder sugar substitute. 1 cup of Crystal Light contains 0.8 carbs...may not seem like very much but,if you are consuming a lot of this, it quickly adds up.

Bottled Crystal Light is made with liquid Splenda and therefore contains 0 carbs.

As far as the sugar free jello is concerned...again, this also contains aspartame. You can make your own sugar free jello with Splenda.

Hope this helps.

All the best to you,

Kim
Closed Thread