General Diet Plans and Questions - Nutritionists

View Full Version : Nutritionists

SqueakyBirds
05-24-2005, 04:40 AM
I've been thining about seeing a nutritionist to help guide me (and maybe push a little more ;) ) with my weightloss and all. How can I find a good one? I'm guessing my g.p. might know a good one; can i call the office and ask for a reference? Or can i find one just as well on my own?
ty

aphil
05-24-2005, 10:05 AM
I would recommend talking with your physician.

AmberM
05-24-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree, your doctor will probably know a good person to refer you too. Also, you might look for a dietician as opposed to a nutritionist. The only reason I say that is that a dietician has taken 4 years of school and has to be registered. They take a test and have to requalify every year. Whereas a nutritionist is anyone who wants to say they know about nutrition. I went to college for nutrition and graduated (6 years ago....ack I'm getting old) but didn't take the exam so technically I'm a nutrtionist but that doesnt' mean I remember much from my school days *smile* You don't even really have to go to school to say you are a nutritionist.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are some really good ones out there and there are others who have their own ideas about things.

Amber

Vegan Vixen
05-24-2005, 11:02 AM
^^ I second the suggestion for a dietician :) Please know that your average medical doctor has only about 4 hours of nutrition training out of thousands and thousands of hours of education! That is truly pathetic :(

Best of luck :), from another one who didn't "take the exam" :D however, I will be taking the exam and then be registered, as I remember (and use daily with clients) what I have learned and have supplemented it with over 1000 hours of holistic education and training to round it out ;)

SqueakyBirds
05-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks, going to talk to the doctor about finding a good dietician.
: )

Vegan Vixen
05-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks, going to talk to the doctor about finding a good dietician.
: )

Good luck! ;)

I was just refrencing the possibility that, since most Doctors know very little about nutrition themselves, they may not have the greatest resources for locating a *good* dietician or nutritionist themselves either. I wish you the best of luck in finding a good practitioner!

SqueakyBirds
05-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Ah ok....thanks for the heads up. :)