Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #1  
Crazy Housewife

Question Walk Away the Pounds - Cals burned?

I bought a couple more of the Walk Away the Pounds series (w/ Leslie Sansone)... and after doing 4 miles... I really started to wonder how many calories I'm burning doing this.

She said. somewhere on the DVD that I should be burning around 125 cals per mile... but I'm guessing that figure is based on a 140-150 lb person. Would I be over-estimating if I assumed that I was burning around 575 cals over the course of 4 miles, holding 3 lb weights in each hand and weighting in at 199 lbs?

I hope that's about right... because, MAN!, does it feel great to know that I'm burning off both what I ate for lunch AND breakfast! *bounces around* Plus, this extra energy is nice!
MrsThallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Mrs.Thallium -- Here is a calculator you can try....http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc2.htm
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Since you do more than just walk, it's hard to get an accurate assessment. I always enter it into Fitday as high impact aerobics. But I don't slack on it, I put a lot of effort into it, and usually do more than required by adding jumping jacks or twists, etc. during the walking segments. And Fitday still only gives 343 calories burned for 1 hour. I would personally feel that to be about right. At your weight, and with adding the weights to the workout, if you're doing it strenuously, I would also feel that your 575 calories estimate would be somewhat accurate. There's no way to know exactly what you're burning. But one thing about keeping it low is that you're motivated to do more. If you opt for higher amounts, and they turn out to be inaccurate, you're not getting as much as you thought. I'd opt for the lower calculations just for the motivation.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:22 AM   #4  
Crazy Housewife

Yeah, I thought it sounded like it might be a high estimate... but all I had to go on was her little interview segment on the DVD.

Still, like you, I put a ton of work into it. I keep up with her pace and often do extra arm exercises during the "boring stuff".

Still, even at my lowest estimate, of around 400, its a very good workout for me! Two weeks ago, I had trouble getting through the first mile of the workout (on the Power Walking System DVD, which seems a bit more exercise than the 1, 2, and 3 mile VHSes that I have), but now I can easily get through all three miles, do 60 sit-ups, and continue onto the 1 mile VHS. It's nice when you start getting energy back! Plus, my DH is starting to get jealous! He sees me work so hard to exercise, so he joined a gym to keep up with me!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Not my hubby. When he started getting jealous, it was because he was afraid that I was looking too good and wanted to try and keep me home so guys wouldn't try to pick me up. But him exercise? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #6  
Crazy Housewife

Heh! I'd love it if my husband would get jealous like that! I don't think he ever has!