PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Insulin Resistance and Fibromyalgia

My doctor suggested that I almost definitely had Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X and that metformin might be helpful, but then didn't prescribe it or give me a definitive diagnosis. I've been reading up, and have realized that I need to push the issue with him.

I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and weigh 369 lbs (394 was my highest). For the last couple of weeks I began experimenting with a relatively low carb diet (plenty of fruits and vegetables, a little potato, brown rice, and whole grains), and I've found that the difference is dramatic. My pain is so much better, and I have so much more energy that I've been able to reduce my pain medication and so have been able to become more active, almost without trying. Probably the most dramatic, though is that I have been able to nearly eliminate my binge eating. The first things I eliminated were sugar and white flour, and noticed right away that the ravenous sensation (that often persisted even when my stomach actually hurt from being too full) was gone.

A couple days of eating more starches (not even back to my "old" level though) on vacation last week and all the pain, fatigue, and hunger were back). I'm back on track, and feeling pretty good. I can't believe how incredible the changes have been, and pray I can keep up the enthusiasm and motivation to stay on a limited carb WOE
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:00 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Good for you!!! I'm glad you found the right combination for your body. If he thinks you have metabolic syndrome, the met is definitely a good idea. I actually just read an article on it that I'm getting ready to post. It basically says that met is very important for getting it under control, and that exercise is also very effective. Add some regular exercise to your day and I bet you'll see an even bigger improvement!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've noticed that too. At my size, even walking can be a challenge, and even though I know that exercise helps the fibro and arthritis, it's hard to mentally override the instinct to stop doing things that hurt. Thank goodness, I don't have swimsuit phobia, and there's a warm water therapeutic pool in our area. The pool has nice wide steps entering the pool, and even a ramp into the pool (for wheelchairs, walkers...), so if the joints are too painful, I don't even have to navigate the steps.

I also use a tai chi video, and just bought a couple yoga books/tapes, and my husband and I geocache on the weekend. Talk about a fun way to get some walking in. Using a Global Positioning system, you hunt for "treasures" (keychains and other trinkets) that other geocachers have hidden usually in a park or wooded area. Getting to the treasure motivates me to push myself rather than give up as soon as I get tired!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote