Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - How bad is pizza for you, really?!

hunbun
05-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Ok. So.. I'm an OUTRAGEOUSLY picky eater. I would bet that I'm more picky then anyone on the board. Here are a few examples:
Only animal i eat is chicken. And it has to be boneless skinless chicken with all the yucky bits removed (ie: cartalidge, fat, viens...)
I don't eat any other animals at all.
I don't like anything even resembaling a bean, or onions, or wierd textures. I have to strain my spagetti sauce because I don't like little bits in my food. (did i mention im nuts?)
There are very few vegitables that I like. Corn and potatoes of course are yum... And I'll eat a baked potato but not mashed potatos....
I LOVE cheese... but no blue cheeses... and I dont like cold cheese. And what I mean by that is I can eat cheese cold after its been melted.. But cold cheese straight out the fridge, ah no. cant do it.
Used to be able to eat egg whites (i've never liked the yellow part) but recently just looking at it makes me gag, so that's off the menu as well.
The things that I LOVE are pizza and fried mozarella sticks (particularly from Denny's).....

So, as I've started this whole new eating better being healthier lifestyle, you could say my eating choices are quite limmited. Even more then before.

I can't live without eating pizza though. it just isnt going to happen if I'm to go through this life as a good productive caring human being that doesnt shoot herself in the face. :)

With that said... How bad is pizza really??? How about if it's just two slices... maybe made on wheat bread crust?!? Im not really on a specific diet. Just eating sensably, higher protien then norm cause I'm lifting weights, no sugar really (I dont even care for the sugar, cheese sticks on the other hand...) No soda.. Just basically oatmeal, protien drinks, chicken and veggies, bread like once a day, and little to no carbs at night.

michelle / hunbun

lucky
05-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Pizza in and of itself isn't bad at all. It comes down to how much you eat, how often you eat it, and whether or not you are active enough to burn the calories. Incidently, this is true of ALL foods.

Suzanne 3FC
05-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm a pizzaholic! I refuse to give it up. I like the new South Beach Diet frozen pizza. The cheese variety is good, has a whole wheat high protein crust, and has just 290 calories and about 30 grams protein. As far as carry out pizza, regular cheese pizza isn't very bad, as long as you can limit yourself to a slice or two. You can request half the cheese. I also like to make my own from scratch, and top it with high flavor, healthy toppings, like roasted garlic, porcini mushrooms, fresh tomato slices, yellow squash, grilled veggies, and so on. I use very little cheese at all, sometimes just a little fresh shaved parmesan, or goat cheese.

beachgal
05-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I haven't tried the SBD pizza yet, Suzanne. I was turned off when the ingredients on one of them was pork fat. :barf: I'm not sure what Dr. A was thinking...but that's a different issue! ;)

Hunbun, watch out for sugar in pizza sauce, as well.

In general, I fully agree with the signature one of the mods (is it KarenK?) has: "If you want it, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find excuses." I found tons of excuses when I didn't really want to diet, even though I thought I did. When I finally decided that I was actually going to do this, NOTHING could stop me.

I have hated veggies (other than the ones you mentioned and things like onions and peppers) for my whole life and refused to eat them. On this diet, I eat everything but Lima beans and brussel sprouts. Today for lunch, I had chicken salad and steamed broccoli with lemon. To have done this over a year ago would have been UNTHINKABLE for me. At first, I literally had to squeeze my nose shut, chew, and down a ton of diet soda after each bite. But I worked through it, and in time, came to actually enjoy veggies. :faint:

If you really want to be healthy, you'll realize that most pizza, made with a simple carb crust, high-fat cheese, sugar-filled sauce, and high-fat meats, is not going to help. Yes, you can make your own at home from time to time and enjoy it, but it's not the healthiest choice for daily life. Those cheese sticks have to go, no matter how much you love them. You are basically packing your arteries full of saturated fat. :yikes:

If you want to make changes in your diet, you can. :strong: Make some healthy pizzas like Suzanne suggested, and try incorporating more veggies on them to start out with. Then move to eating them without the pizza. In time, you'll not only feel better but look more healthy too...and I bet you'll be VERY proud of yourself! :bravo:

Suzanne 3FC
05-20-2005, 04:51 PM
I don't use pizza sauce, but just use crushed tomatoes. I prefer the fresher tomato flavor over highly processed pizza or spaghetti sauces. Yuck.

Great idea on the veggie toppings, making a pizza could be a great way to get started learning to like new vegetables and flavors! You should work on learning to like more veggies, if you ever want to be truly healthy. There are so many foods that I eat now that I wouldn't have touched 10 years ago. I didn't realize what all I was missing out on.

Meg
05-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I love your story about broccoli and diet soda, Laurie!! :lol:

Humans instinctively are drawn to the tastes of sweet, salt, and fat. Food manufacturers cater to our love of sweets, salt and fat by by creating artifical foods that are mega-times sweeter, saltier, or fattier than anything ever found in nature. So our taste buds become corrupted and real foods just don't 'taste good'. It's hard for Mother Nature to compete with Doritos!

Over time, you can re-educate your taste buds away from highly salty, sweet, and/or fatty foods and back to natural flavors and textures. It's amazing how sweet an apple or carrot actually is! And how wonderful a huge fresh salad that's bursting with fresh veggies can taste. Believe it or not, you'll actually start to crave food that's good for you (nope, I didn't believe it either :faint: )

But it takes time, like Laurie said, so we all need to just start small. Try to focus on eating foods that are as close to nature as possible - the way they come from the tree or grow in the ground. Minimally processed, with as few additives as possible. Like Suzanne's idea of fresh tomatoes versus tomato sauce. And I'll take a sprinkle of real Parmesan over globs of mozzarella any day! :T

MrsJim
05-20-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't eat pizza very often but here's what I do:

Generally - we don't even order a whole pizza - there's a couple of places that sell slices. A slice is good enough for this gal! (of course, if the entire PIZZA was in front of me, well, that would be a whole 'nother thing. :lol: )

I avoid the pizza places where I KNOW that the pizza is going to be higher in calories (usually fat calories). Round Table Pizza, Pizza Hut, and Domino's are in that category (personally, if I'm gonna splurge on pizza I want the BEST so I wouldn't go to Domino's or Pizza Hut anyway - our faves here are North Beach Pizza and Pizza My Heart).

If I DO order a whole pie, I place the following order:

EXTRA light on cheese and sauce - for me, the best part of the pizza is the CRUST anyway.

A lot of places add olive oil to the crust before applying the toppings - (Round Table is REALLY greasy). Keep that in mind when ordering.

I'm a one-topping at the most gal - I don't care for 'loaded' pizza or deep-dish - too gloppy IMO. Some of my favorite toppings include chicken, artichoke hearts, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggplant.

If someone else ordered the pizza and I just gotta have a slice, I'll generally peel off most or all of the cheese.

Just a few tips :)

deleted
05-20-2005, 09:45 PM
I say, if you love pizza, once every week or two, have two slices of your favorite at the restaurant .... :-) DON'T bring a whole pizza home! Count it as about 600 - 700 calories, savor it, don't worry about the exact number of calories.........

You're only going to do it now and then................. It's working me me. I like to get one of the huge slices at Sbarro's at the Mall, 500 calories for that size slice, and I'm a happy girl. 44 lbs. off so far......... and I'm still having my pizza!:D

jbbm
05-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Pizza can be healthy. Make it at home with whole wheat crust and you can make your own sauce or buy some healthy stuff, use low fat cheese, and veggies if you like.

icecreamjunkee
05-20-2005, 10:20 PM
funny you mention pizza because I just had some for dinner :lol: and boy was it yummy! I live at my university so I have it in the dinning halls where it's buffet style, but I just grab one piece and then pile on the veggies next to it, never ever do I go back for more :D my motto is if you love don't give it up, just get thinner crust, no meat, less cheese ... there are always ways to shave off a couple of cals ;) Enjoy!

Invidia
05-21-2005, 04:36 AM
I've never had a problem with pizza. =D I usually eat alfredo pizzas, which are a lot less fattening than the normal kind, and two slices stuffs me. You can get 'em with chicken, though I don't suppose you'd like the mushrooms and stuff.

By the way, I'm the same way with chicken, so don't feel weird.

jiffypop
05-21-2005, 09:54 PM
the one think i LOVE about pizza is the combination of tastes, so i sometimes duplicate them elsewhere.

current favorite: split a zucchini, and scrape out most of the seeds. top with some oregano, basil, small slices of tomato, and bake or roast until it's soft. [ok, some garlic if i feel ambitious]. then top with some shredded mozzarella and grated romano and let it all melt in ... THAT'S the combination i want when i want pizza. the crust just doesn't do it for me -

laura_on_a_bike
05-22-2005, 06:17 PM
i make pizza at home with wheat tortillas as the crust when i have a craving. the tortillas have only 120 calories a piece. i go light on the sauce and load them up with veggies. some times i put a little bit of cheese on them, but i'm not a huge fan of it. i usually have to eat them with a fork in the end but they are great, tasty, cheap, and low enough in calories to eat as a lunch. if i have one with dinner, i can afford a couple of beers or a glass or two of wine.

Rtael
05-22-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm going to Little Caesar's tomorrow. And getting a whole large pizza. And crazy bread. And I'm eating all of it. Sorry. :p

hunbun
05-22-2005, 10:36 PM
HAA HAA HAA HAA HAA HAA HAA..... that's awsome. bad, but awsome.

ok. there's no way i'm not eating pizza. just not gonna happen. gonna go learn to make it at home. i'll make my own sauce.. we'll see. if it comes out good i'll let you girls know the reciepe. :)

Rtael
05-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I know, bad. I just have this horrible craving right now, and it's not going to go away until I get some pizza. I can get back ont rack after I do that! :p

beachgal
05-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Rtael, look at how much you've lost! :bravo: Why spoil it when you are SO close to ONEderland? :grouphug: Think about why you're having this craving. Find a way around it, over it, under it, but don't go eating a whole pizza. You know how your body and your soul will feel afterwards. :cry: You deserve better. :grouphug:

Hunbun, there are lots of great recipes out there for whole wheat pizza crust. If you live on the east coast (I forgot to look! :o ), Wegman's now carries WW pizza crust. They keep it with the premade pizzas in a bag. It comes frozen, but the store may have put it out and let it defrost. It's super easy to use--you just open the bag, toss the dough ball in a bowl greased with olive oil, put a damp towel over the top and put it in a warm place to rise. When you are ready, just punch it down and roll it out. The directions are on the bag. You can keep these dough balls in the freezer and take one out to defrost/rise when you leave for work if you work all day. Very easy and very yummy! :T

For sauce, think about mixing canned tomato products...a little crushed tomatoes, like Suzanne suggested with maybe some tomato paste to thicken it, add fresh or dried herbs and garlic. Use minimal cheese and think about using really pungent Italian cheeses like asiago and parmiagiano reggiano to up the flavor while using less. Then pile on TONS of veggies. I actually learned to love mushrooms and zucchini by eating them on pizza first. My best friend as a teen loved veggie pizzas and I was too embarassed to say I didn't. I found they weren't half bad! Zucchini is really mild and you may find it easy to eat. Just keep experimenting, hon, and know that you can do whatever you put your mind to, okay? :cheer: :grouphug:

Ruthxxx
05-24-2005, 08:37 AM
I make pizza using whole wheat pitas - works fine if you like a thin crust.

galinva
05-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I have Fit n Free pizzas in the freezer for when I want pizza. They are only 4 points. I usually add a point of Mozz. cheese and a point of pepperoni and then veggies for a 6 point pizza that nearly fills up a plate. However, when I'm really CRAVING pizza it just doesn't do the trick! :lol: I have to get the full fat version usually I like Little Ceasers and I eat two slices, one bread stick with sauce and a salad (14points total). It kills the craving and I've stayed within points and can continue on eating like I need to. I can stick with my diet so much easier knowing I can have the foods I really want on occasion. :devil:

Just my two cents. ;)

ingrid
05-24-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm going to Little Caesar's tomorrow. And getting a whole large pizza. And crazy bread. And I'm eating all of it. Sorry. :p

Nothing like eating like a fat person! Guess that explains a lot!
:o

Seriously, if that's how you choose to deal with your craving, enjoy every last unheathy bite, but get back on track. I used to make excuses about cravings and how I needed to ingdulge them before moving on. You are just satobaging your efforts....lying to yourself. I commend you on your honesty, however.

To comabt a pizza craving, I have used pitas and real parmsean...wonderful. Also, I have used little canned biscuits. They are an automatic portion control and you cannot load them with much.

Tealeaf
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I sometimes have the urge to eat foods that I know aren't really part of healthier lifestyle. And I sometimes do just that. But even when you are eating that pizza or fried chicken (my personal nemensis!) or whatever, you can still try to use a bit of self control.

I had pizza this weekend. An extra cheese deep dish (with hot sauce on top, yum!). In the old days, I would have eaten half the thing, letting hubby eat the other half.

This time, I ate just a quarter of thing, two slices. I had the other two slices several hours later, for a second meal. Oh, I still ate half a pizza, but over a greater period of time, and thus had fewer calories than I would have back in the day. And I don't feel at all guilty about having had it, either.

I think "giving up" on "bad foods" is just setting yourself up for disater. Eat what you like, but use a bit of common sense as you do.

funniegrrl
05-24-2005, 03:52 PM

Don't apologize to US ... we're not the ones who will be consuming 5000 calories in a single sitting.

There are two sides to the whole "feed a craving" issue; each works for different people. Personally, I had to go through a period where I did NOT give in to cravings in order to teach myself that I'm the boss of me, not my dinosaur brain. I also knew that giving in only kept it alive -- if I went through a period where I did not eat it, I grew to crave it less.

If you are the type that rebels against restrictions, and giving in helps you reduce binges and stay on track, then all means do so. HOWEVER: If you feel that the ONLY way to feed the craving is with exactly the same fatty unhealthy foods in exactly the same enormous quantities -- in other words, if you are simply alternating your binges with "dieting" -- you will never progress. You are still eating by whim, you are still making no effort to curb your impulses, you are still letting the food rule you.

There have been a million excellent suggestions here about how to satisfy a pizza craving (if one CHOOSES to give in) and still maintain control and balance. Whether you make a mini-pizza on a pita, or eat takeout, or anything in between, you can integrate the pizza into a healthy, balanced lifestyle. If you choose not to do this, then you are really no better off than before you started "dieting." It is extremely difficult for anyone engaged in this type of behavior to reach goal, and if they do it comes back very very quickly.

Rtael
05-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Nothing like eating like a fat person! Guess that explains a lot!
:o

Seriously, if that's how you choose to deal with your craving, enjoy every last unheathy bite, but get back on track. I used to make excuses about cravings and how I needed to ingdulge them before moving on. You are just satobaging your efforts....lying to yourself. I commend you on your honesty, however.

I ate it. I lost weight that day. Thanks for the needless preaching though.

Allie Abbott
05-26-2005, 08:28 AM
It's great to realize that you can splurge occasionally and still lose weight! Every other diet I was on, I would quit after a couple of weeks, because I felt that I had failed when I ate one big meal. Now I realize that was a totally unrealistic way to think.

Pizza is one of my MAJOR weaknesses, too. I didn't see this suggestion yet, which is a quick and easy way to deal with pizza craving:

Whole wheat English muffin, cut in 1/2, a spoonful of tomato sauce on each (I use a prepared FF pasta sauce for maximum flavour), low-fat mozerella, and pile on the veggies, diced chicken breast, and pineapple. Bake. YUM. If you prepare a whole bunch of chopped veggies all at once, you can even have these a couple of days in a row.

deleted
05-26-2005, 09:30 AM
With all due respect to those who disagree with me, I still say........... if you badly want pizza, eat your REAL PIZZA!!! Not a whole pizza but a couple of slices at the restaurant so you're not tempted by a whole one. To me, something like a whole-wheat pita half, toasted, with tomato sauce and some low-fat cheese sprinkled on it does not say PIZZA to my body and brain. I can eat that, and it's a healthy snack, but IT IS NOT PIZZA! Now if you can eat that, and not miss pizza, MORE POWER TO YOU! I'm just saying, for me and most real pizza lovers, pizza is what you get from Pizza Hut or Papa John's or Sbarro's, and I am not satisfied until I've had the real thing!

JMHO............. who would think pizza could rouse such strong emotional responses??? :-) ;-)

funniegrrl
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
I absolutely agree that there's no harm in splurging every now and then.

HOWEVER, I think too many people go straight to the "real" pizza without giving themselves a chance to learn to like healthier alternatives or doing without altogether.

And, I still say that eating an entire takeout pizza, plus sides, is not a healthy way to live, even if you do still "lose weight."

deleted
05-26-2005, 12:28 PM
funniegrrl, I DO like the healthier alternatives also. I love food, period. Sometimes, I just have to have the real thing............... the pizza, the hot dog, the fries at Bojangles. But only now and then......... and I never eat like I once did (half a pizza, plus the breadsticks dipped in garlic butter!)

But, of course, the right way for anyone to do it is the way it works for THEM!!! So far, I've lost 44 pounds doing it this way, so I know it's a good way for me. Whatever way you succeed, God bless you everyone!!! :-)

funniegrrl
05-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I feel like I'm speaking in Chinese ...

Again, YES, everyone should do what works for them. HOWEVER, I am simply advocating that you give yourself a chance to BREAK those cravings rather than give in to them from the get-go. If you try and you still need the real pizza, fine, have at. I certainly splurge on junk every once in a while. The difference is that I no longer feel CHAINED to those foods because I spent a couple of years teaching myself that I could live without them or use healthier substitutes most of the time. Also, my tastes are more discriminating. I loved pizza, Pizza Hut specifically, and I got a delivery at LEAST once a week. Now, it seems REALLY greasy and bloated and salty and ... blech. If I'm going to have pizza I much prefer one of the small gourmet pizzas from the local upscale bar or brew pub, and I usually don't even eat the whole thing. That change never would have happened if I'd visited Pizza Hut once a week or whatever to keep myself from feeling "deprived."

Yes, yes, do "what works for you" -- all I'm saying is, spend some time exploring and trying out how to develop healthier ways to "make it work" rather than simply falling back on old habits and preferences. I've been at this a long time, and I have found that the people who put a greater POSITIVE effort in shedding those old tastes and developing new ones are the ones who are most successful in the long run. I am simply trying to share what I've learned and point out that there may be a better way if you give it a chance.

There are times when I really do want some real, rich, premium ice cream, and all the sugar-free yogurt and milk-and-fruit smoothies in the world won't cut it. So, I go out and enjoy a little real B&J or Haagen Dazs. But, the difference is that I cut down those "have to have" times to a couple of times per year rather than every few days. If I had gone running to the B&J every time I "wanted" it in the early part of my program, I never would have gotten where I am today. Sure, I might have "lost weight" but I'd still be chained to the ice cream. And, I might add, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much as I do now, because it wouldn't be so special.

I believe that if you are really going for the "lifestyle makeover" rather than just "dieting" that you have to put up with a little deprivation and sacrifice to change from the inside out. That's not to say you should suffer unduly, or set yourself up for binging. But, you have to give yourself a chance to prove that you're stronger than the food you crave. If you give in at the first sign, the food wins. And is that any way to live?

ingrid
05-26-2005, 03:07 PM
I ate it. I lost weight that day.

I call BS on that one!
;)

Just trying to motivate you in a more direct way. I hope that hit a nerve on some level. No sugar coating the hard work needed to lose weight and become fit. It is eating an entire pizza and cheese sticks (3-4 days worth of food for most people) in one sitting that is a sign of your old 'fat' ways creeping back to the surface. Don't let food cravings control you...fuel your body with the best nutrients, don't puncture your tire for no good reason to impeed your progress.

ingrid
05-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Well said Funniegrrl!!

deleted
05-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Funniegrrl, if you are talking (are you shouting? :D) to me, then I think you are misunderstanding me. We are in complete agreement........... I wouldn't have lost the weight I have, had I not been doing it in a sensible way. How often one should splurge is a very individual thing............ everybody knows what's best for them. If I had not "given myself a chance to experience healthier alternatives," I certainly wouldn't be as successful as I have been! I will make no comment on what "Rtael" has said. There are sometimes postings on this Board designed to get a rise out of people.......... I'll reserve my opinion on that one!

Vegan Vixen
05-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Let me just say that I agree with a lot of what I have read here about LIFESTYLE changes and making healthier choices. Making a LIFESTYLE change and making healthier choices is the only natural and balanced way to permanent fat loss.

Also, what a person eats on the day that person weighs themselves has not had a chance to turn into fat yet. For example, if a person ate an entire loaf of white bread with a stick of butter and then weighed themselves, their weight would only reflect the 20 or so ounces of the actual product consumed; the food would have not been digested, metabolized and turned into energy with the excess stored as fat at that time. It wouldn't show up as fat or energy until later.

Just a little perspective.

:)

laura_on_a_bike
05-26-2005, 07:59 PM
pizza hut, papa johns, dominos etc is not REAL pizza. thats like saying burgers from mc donalds, burger king, and wendys are real hamburgers, gross.

deleted
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
laura on a bike, I couldn't disagree with you more. I love the Burger King Whopper with cheese, the cheeseburgers at Outback, the burgers at Hardees....... (recently chosen the best burger in the Triangle, here in N.C.) AND the Bubba Burgers that I do on my own grill at home. Because food is fast and convenient does not mean that it isn't the real thing........... IMHO .... :-)

laura_on_a_bike
05-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Because food is fast and convenient does not mean that it isn't the real thing........... IMHO .... :-)

it has nothing to do with being fast and convinient. its over processed and mass produced. it may be the real "fast food" version, but there is very little that is real about convinience food.

deleted
05-26-2005, 10:22 PM
laura, how can you say that the food is overprocessed in all these places when you can't possibly know whether they use frozen patties or do fresh ones, etc.? I honestly think you're assuming too much ............

jennie934
05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
this thread is very funny. so much heated discussion over pizza. it does play a big part in our everyday life and obviously represents a lot of choices we make about things.
A lot of times I get stuck eating pizza with my studnts and I used to eat 2-3 pieces, now I try to eat just one and I bring an apple. Because really its not that good. I used to think is was so good I had to get seconds but really I was jsut eating it because it was easy and it was there.

My favorite pizza is this place that this guy from Italy opened. Yes a real Italian making pizza. Everything is fresh. You can list the ingredients just by looking at it. I get a pie that is the dough, arugala, parmesian, and crushed tomatoes. its more like a salad on good bread than a pizza. My son gets a margerita and it is so good too. yumm, I want to get some right now. I ussually reserve it for a once in a while treat.

I'd say if you really want pizza, count the calories or points or what ever and eat it. but its hard to get filled up on pizza a lone and stay in your calorie range. The 3 pieces I used to eat at lunch were like over half of my daily points allowence now. Its all in the portion control and if its really worth it.

Fitchick
05-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Here's my favorite pizza (I actually prefer it over store bought or restaurant bought):

1 whole wheat pita
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
Garlic salt to taste
Crushed red pepper to taste
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese (I use full fat - only 6 grams per 1/4 cup)

You can also add vegetables and lean meats if you wish.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10-14 minutes. Try it - you'll love it!!!

To the original poster - I know how difficult it is to try new things. As many others have said, I eat things now that I wouldn't have touched a few years ago. One thing that helps me is to chop up vegetables where they're not so "chunky". I also like to dip cold vegetables like cucumbers and carrots in lite ranch dip. It really helps.

laura_on_a_bike
05-27-2005, 09:06 AM
laura, how can you say that the food is overprocessed in all these places when you can't possibly know whether they use frozen patties or do fresh ones, etc.? I honestly think you're assuming too much ............

i assume very little when it comes to food that i may put into my body. i research. I have friends who have worked in plenty of the aformentioned restraunts. I use the internet and books. i find out whats up with food. and i find, more often than not, especially in the chain pizza joints mentioned, that the food is overprocessed, and mass produced. hamburgers are a different story. ground beef is just a way to use up extra beef and fat. pizza from pizza hut is junk food, a burger from burger king is junk food. the products used in this food are low quallity. thats why you can get a burger for a buck and a half. liking the food is no big deal ( its painfully obvious none of these places are going away anytime soon.) I couldn't care less what you enjoy eating. but food is fule for the body, and many of the items discussed are no kind of fuel. they are fule for cravings but that is it.

i believe that funniergirl and i are on the same page when it comes to food.

fast food addiction is a nasty habbit to break.

deleted
05-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Laura on a bike, possibly, no one has researched nutrition, restaurants, etc. more than I have (my doctor tells me I know more about the subject than he and his nurses.) I am almost 61 years old, have friends who own restaurant franchises, friends who own independent restaurants, and I'm familiar with the way many function. I find it interesting that you feel I know nothing about these subjects due to the simple fact that I disagree with you. As for assuming something is better, by the way, because it's fresh............. it is simply not always so! For instance, vegetables flash-frozen on the spot are FAR better for you than fresh vegetables that have been riding cross-country in a truck for a week! Now, I much prefer to walk out into my brother's garden, and eat the vegetables that I pick that day but most people can't do that.

I respect everybody's opinion on here but an opinion is not a fact. I try to remember that............ and I'm outta here! Have a great weekend............

Vegan Vixen
05-27-2005, 05:26 PM
For instance, vegetables flash-frozen on the spot are FAR better for you than fresh vegetables that have been riding cross-country in a truck for a week! Now, I much prefer to walk out into my brother's garden, and eat the vegetables that I pick that day but most people can't do that.

I couldn't agree more! That's why I buy fresh, local, organic and sustainable produce straight from the farms and from the co-op, where the transit time is less than an hour from ground to my hands :)

Rtael
05-28-2005, 10:31 AM
I call BS on that one!
;)

No, really....I was down a pound the next day....