1 CAN RINSED & DRAINED BEANS
(black or small white beans work well)
3 EGGS or egg substitute
3 TBS. OIL
4 TBS COCOA POWDER
A PINCH OF SALT
1 TSP. VANILLA
½- ¾ C. SWEETNER

MIX INGREDIENTS TOGETHER IN A BLENDER/ FOOD PROCESSOR UNTIL PUREE. POUR INTO A GREASED 8x8 CAKE PAN.
STIR IN SOME Sugar Free CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND NUTS
BAKE 350 APPX. 30 MIN
VERY DENSE CHOCOLATELY BROWNIE…

----------
http://www.***************************/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25072&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
credit to above

I know you're probably thinking....BEANS?!?!? But it's really excellent! Give it a shot when you're feeling brave!

mrscharleston
05-20-2005, 07:42 PM
I do not like beans...so I guess my question is...does it taste like beans at all????

AdiaFaith
05-25-2005, 05:04 PM
NO. Listen, it may take hours of staring at this recipe and repeating over and over

"It's SERIOUSLY made out of beans?",

but once you try it, you'll be amazed. I brought some in to work (family business) and my dad and brother ate 4 each! Dad kept asking if they were really made from beans and how they could be so moist. Chad kept trying to get the calorie count out of me (he's a health nut).

Really, when you get the guts, try them. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Country Charm
05-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Oh, can't wait to make these. They sound yummy! :)

sarahyu
05-31-2005, 04:51 PM
What's the best way to get the beans smooth? I tried making refried beans with a can of black beans once in the blender and it was ok but on the chunky side. Should I add a little liquid to make them smoother or something? That's why I haven't tried the bean cake/brownie recipes yet.

Sarah

AdiaFaith
05-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Depends on how old your blender is....I put these in my blender and it was like frosting in consistency. My blender is a cheapy from Wal-mart (like 10 bucks), but it's relatively new.

sarahyu
05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Hmmm, well I splurged and got mine at Kmart last year it was something like $30. Maybe I'm not doing it long enough or high enough. I'll give it a try soon. See what happens. Hey, if it's not smooth enough, I'll just add some spices and make them ff refried beans. ;)

Sarah

soon2Bfab
05-31-2005, 11:38 PM
AdiaFaith - When I first saw this recipe, I thought you were crazy. I just tried these & they are pretty good. I did put a little bit of frozen cool whip free on top of it - very good. Thanks for the recipe!!!

kaplods
06-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Ooh, these sound good. The beans didn't throw me because I love oriental sweet red bean paste deserts. I first had it in ice cream. It was a pink ice cream, with red beans swirled in. The beans had a pinto bean texture, but a berry flavor. Weird, but good. I've got to give these a try.

AdiaFaith
06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
AdiaFaith - When I first saw this recipe, I thought you were crazy. I just tried these & they are pretty good. I did put a little bit of frozen cool whip free on top of it - very good. Thanks for the recipe!!!

soon2Bfab - You hit the nail on the head with your first thoughts! :lol: I'm glad you tried them and enjoyed them! They are much healthier than the kind made from butter and eggs, and I think they taste better too!

angelshine90
06-01-2005, 04:07 PM
very skeptical and WOW very good! even the boy liked them!!

two thumbs up

AdiaFaith
06-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Thank you ladies for posting your opinions. Hopefully it will inspire courage into other skeptics!

Jupe
06-20-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm making them tonight - I'll be sure to report back with my thoughts ;)

Jupe
06-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I hate to say it, but they really weren't that good. Maybe I didn't do something right. I followed ther recipe to the letter, but they were gewpy and tasteless. :(

nefarious_wytch
06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
i loved them (and i'm not even really a big chocolate fan -- in fact I hate chocolate) but these were great and far from tasteless.

pearshape
06-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I made these, they were OK. Maybe I didn't rinse them good enough or didn't add enough vanilla. They had a nice thick consistency but had sort of a "beany" taste. I put about a tsp of light cream cheese and a little bit of sugar free, fat free syrup and they were good. I would recommend this dessert and next time am gonna try them with light coolwhip. I added up the calories of all ingredients and if you get six servings then each serving has 170 calories. Not bad and they are very filling.

darlingchick
07-17-2005, 09:43 PM
pearshape- is that calorie count with the cream cheese?

darlingchick
07-17-2005, 09:46 PM
anyone tried this cupcake style?

Callalily
07-18-2005, 09:30 PM
I made these tonight. I used 1/2 c. splenda and instead of sugar free choc. chips I broke up some mini Sugar Free Hershey bars that we had and also stirred in some walnuts. I also used a little more than 1 tsp vanilla...maybe 2 tsp instead.

I threw all the ingredients in a blender and ran it on high until the whole thing was a pourable mixture. Then I poured the mix into a baking dish and then lightly stirred in the chocolate pieces and walnut pieces.

I was really surprised. I told my husband that I made some and he tried one and couldnt believe that there was no flour and all bean. LOL!

Im not really fond of the splenda aftertaste in splenda stuff but these were pretty good. Would definitely be good w/ some whip cream but we dont have any.

Pickle Chick
07-26-2005, 12:35 AM
OK, I've tried these also. The beans didn't taste bad but I just CANNOT stomach the taste of Splenda in baked goods. Any suggestions?

djett626
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM
:yikes: I fixed them today!! I am impressed. I never would have guessed it... beans!

I fed some to my Aunt and MIL they were both surprised. I told my MIL before she had a bite. You should have seen the little bit she tore off. Then after the first bite, she started getting more. :lol:

healthy4good
08-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Made these last night....in a nutshell....AMAZING!!! I could have eaten the entire pan. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!!

Honeybean
08-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I made these today...they are amazing! I also frosted them using the recipe for cream-cheese frosting that I found in the sb forums here. A few things that I think helped make them extra good: I used good beans (Whole Foods 365 Organic), and goooood cocoa (Lake Champlain). Plain old Nestle just won't give you the same rich chocolate flavor. Even the batter tasted like real brownies! My only complaint is that they're a bit crumbly, so I'm going to try adding 1 T more oil, and cooking them a little less. Thanks for the great recipe!

Sweet Tea
09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I gotta say that after making them tonight I am now a huge fan of the beanie brownies!!! :D:D I made them with well rinsed Goya black beans and added a tsp more oil and 2 tsp of a very nice vanilla to the mix. I used 3/4 cup of splenda but I could have cut back a little bit. I loved them with a bit of ff cool whip on top.

I served these to my dh and did not tell him about the beans. He hates beans and will not touch them. He ate the brownie and liked it. I don't think I will tell him my secrets :D. My 2 1/2 year old liked them too and he is a chocolate junkie in the making. My dd was the only one not impressed and I think she would have eaten them if we had added the chocolate chips. Maybe next time...

thank you for the brilliant recipe!!!!

beachgal
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Okay, taken from a daily thread where it was hiding (no fair, chickies! :nono: ), here's Kara's (tomandkara) famous adaptation of the brownie recipe!

Kara's Fabulous Beany Brownies
1 can navy beans (see below for other bean suggestions), drained and rinsed
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
about 1 t vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 c nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar-free caramel syrup (Target brand)
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped fine (I think it would be better with sugar free chocolates, chopped - I'll have to look harder for those next time.)

Mix ingredients together in a blender/ food processor until pureed. Pour into a greased (i.e. SBD-safe "grease") 8x8 cake pan. Stir in some baking chocolate (or sugar free chocolate chips) and nuts (if desired).

Bake a half hour at 350*F, plus a couple minutes.

Kara's Review:
THIS IS THE WINNING RECIPE!
I think Great Northern beans would be fine. I prefer white beans over black beans. They have less inherent flavor. Usually I use cannellini beans, which are the same as Great Northern. I just didn't have any in the cupboard this time around.

Also, I would inform people that they are made with beans. My father-in-law has diverticulitis and ate someone's "pumpkin" pie made with kidney beans once and it made him really sick. Not a lot of people go around announcing that they have intestinal issues, so you might not know.

This recipe is GOOD! The first one I tried was an interesting bean-y concoction. This one passes for "brownie".

tdiprincess
05-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Has anyone made these with Dried black beans? I try not to use canned beans. And I have a baggie of black beans. Should I cook them after sitting them in Water overnight?

Ruthxxx
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Give it a try and let us know.

Schmoodle
05-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't see any problem using dried beans. I'd just soak and cook them as normal and then use the same amount you'd have in a can.

zeffryn
05-12-2008, 11:06 PM
tdi - I've converted you into dried beans!

I'm trying Kara's version tomorrow night. I like that her recipe uses agave nectar instead of Splenda. I find that baked goods made with 100% splenda have a funny taste - it must be a palate thing, because most people don't taste it. The sugar blend is pretty good, but a no-no.

I'm excited!

Salma
05-12-2008, 11:50 PM
You are an ANGEL! Just found out I have Celiac Disease, so anything with regular flour is out...and that meant no more brownies. Until now. :thanks:

tdiprincess
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Zef: Yes you did, especially because I was able to find a bunch of beans in bulk at a local Co-op grocery store/oraganic food store. The prices are awesome on produce and bulk goods.. everything else is a bit pricey.. And I was able to find Agave Nectar, I hadn't been able to find it anywhere before this place :D So I think I'll also try Kara's way too. I'd like to try the recipe once before I send it out to a family dinner or something. Maybe I'll make some this weekend and if they taste good I'll take them with us to the parents house to try. I will not be mentioning the bean thing... I've noticed that people shy away from baked goods that are healthy too.. :(
So I just soak and then cook normal then? And about 2cups or a little less do you think?
Salma: that is nice that you've got a recipe for brownies now!!! I'd be excited about it too!! :D

errantbehavior
07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Yum! These were really good. I might cut down a little on the splenda next time too. Half a cup would be good to me.

ctran
06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
OH MY GOSH... Thank the heavens i found this. it saved my diet. these are soo good.

Thighs Be Gone
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
dayumm! my kinda cooking! thanks!

jenne1017
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I made these tonight and they weren't sweet to me. They were ok, just not sweet. Perhaps it's because I couldn't find SF chocolate chips? They were pretty thin too...

1-10? They get a 6. But if I add some more sweet to it (maybe some SF syrup?) it might work...
http://pics.livejournal.com/thatgaychick/pic/000h7hcb

sarahyu
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I made the orginal recipe the other day for my dh's work. It got really mixed reviews from "taste like crap" to "wow, this are a wonderful European style dessert, so rich and decadent and not very sweet" Another person said they were great because it hit the spot for a chocolate craving but didn't trigger you to want to go and eat the rest of the pan the way regular brownies can. many people were just trying to be nice and said "they taste very healthy" and "who wants healthy if I'm expecting a brownie?"

Sarah in MD

It does have a different texture, one person said it looked like fudge and they were greatly disappointed in the taste.

I may try it again using the baking powder & baking soda.

mustangheidi
06-24-2010, 08:34 PM
I just made these, I used ground flax seed verses oil, so mine are a bit more (cakey) which is how I like my brownies, I sprayed the pan with smart balance verses just a plain cooking spray. They came out good, I think you can tell it is made from beans, but when you put a little Fat free whipped cream on top it makes a difference ! I also couldn't find SF chips, so I used SF baking squares and just chopped them up, no I'm on a cocoa high :)
I also don't have sweetner in bulk so I had to open about 25 packets (I worked for my brownie )

Porthardygurl
02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Do you think its possible to make these brownies using chickpeas?

Lexxiss
02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I googled and found recipes out there for chickpea brownies. Instead of just substituting in this recipe you might do an online search and find a recipe specifically designed for them and make and SBD alterations needed.

janis
04-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Loved the bean muffins, had one for breakfast. Now I'm hoping the black bean brownies are as good.

jenne1017
05-14-2013, 04:09 PM
I subbed coconut oil for the regular oil. I also made them in muffin/cupcake sized. Finders crossed. Will be back in 30 minuted when they finish cooking!