South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:26 PM   #1  

Default first day!!

hi there! so i'm here at lunch time on my first day! any words of wisdom as to what i should expect over the next few days? fatigue? bathroom problems(sorry eww)? more energy? water weight? i drink a lot of water to begin with- will i see a drop in that? how much did everyone lose in the phase 1 porion of the diet? do you stay on it longer than two weeks if you want to lose more? thanks! good to have found you guys- i belonged to another site that doesn't have a lot of chatter, so i'm glad i found you!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #2  
Working for the Cruise!

Magpie - Welcome! Usually this place is not this quiet........I'm starting to hear crickets in the background.....

Continue to drink your water. Expect to be a bit phased out the first few days, fatigued and dizzy possibly. Your body is adjusting. Drinking the water and filling up on veggies and legumes will help with any bathroom problems that may occur. Some people take OP supplement for that as well.

Definitely check out the FAQ section and the thread below for some help getting started.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58182

Oh, and reading the book is essential!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #3  

Welcome to you tooo AdiaFaith
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #4  

Default thanks!

i read the book up to the end of the first phase last night, just so i could get prepared to start today. thanks for the advice- i'll be aware. see you around!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #5  
A Lily from my yard!

Welcome to the beach!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Magpie, welcome! I must say that I think it's much easier to succeed on SBD (or any plan, when you give yourself a week to get things ready. I hear about so many new SBDers who fall off the wagon in Phase 1 because they got busy and then got hungry and didn't have any good food in the house but had (insert incredibly tempting food here) sitting on their counter or in their fridge.

Since you've started already, in the next day or so, make sure you do the following, okay?
  • Read the rest of the book...tonight if possible. You'll need this info to do everything else on this list.
  • Get anything not on plan out of your house. Toss it, give it away, but get it out of the house. It really helps. Tell your family that your health is important (and frankly, their health is too...) and that if they want to eat off plan food, they can get it on their own and eat it outside the house.
  • Fill your house with tons of OP food. Cut things up, make them ahead of time...do whatever you have to do, but make sure you never find yourself at a loss as to what to eat. Having several desserts for dinner just because they are easy to grab won't help you lose or get healthy.
  • Read the book again and make sure it makes sense to you...if you are reading the hardbound version, check the updated food lists to ensure you know what's OP and what's not. Ask questions here if you aren't sure...but check the FAQ sticky posts to see if your question has been asked before. If not, we'd be glad to help!
  • Plan out your meals for the week to make this easier on yourself.
  • Create a game plan for any events that cause temptation. Decide what you will bring and what you will do to avoid eating foods that will mess up Phase 1.
  • Dedicate yourself to doing Phase 1 without any cheating. Don't get into situations that lead you to go hungry...bring enough food with you to ensure you have enough to eat even if they have nothing. You can do this! Cheating spoils Phase 1 and you need to start the 2 weeks over. Who wants to do that? (I know...it's not that bad, but really, why do something over when you could be moving on?)

You'll do great if you set yourself up for success this way.

You definitely want to keep drinking your water...it'll help with your detox, which should last anywhere from 3-5 days. You'll feel a bit like you have the flu, be tired, maybe cranky, and just uncomfortable. The worse it is, the more addicted to sugar and simple carbs you were. You'll make it through! Don't try to exercise, but do drink lots of water and eat good carbs, like beans (try the roasted chickpeas!), bell peppers, and tomatoes to help you get through. You may get constipated...consider taking metamucil and stool softeners to help, but beans and veggies with fiber (not iceberg lettuce) will help.

We're glad you're here and excited to see your success...congrats on the 20 pounds you've already lost!!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:20 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 2"

Hi Magpie!! Welcome to the beach...
Old 05-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #8  

Default laurie- thanks so much

the night before i started, i made sure i had breakfast covered and my snack. i got my salad at work and on the way home, i stocked up on what i needed. planning out my meals is the best thing fo rme, too- it really takes the pressure off when you're beat and you just stare at the fridge wondering what is the quickest thing to make- that's when the cheating happens. so i'm definitely NOT going to let that happen! i read the rest of the book last night, too and i had also taken the cookbook out of the library. we had chicken capri last night and it was FABULOUS!!!! i'm gonna check out the recipes on the forum right now and put together the rest of the week. thanks agin for your support- it helps so much!
Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #9  

Welcome Sounds like you are well on your way!
Closed Thread