Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:51 PM   #1  

Default Disappointed with my WW meeting leader!

Yesterday was my second WW meeting. I was feeling pretty good because I lost a couple pounds my first week on the Core program. Our meeting leader is an EXTREMELY peppy upper-middle age woman. She lost 30lbs in 1981 (or so her badge says). I've noticed that she doesn't mention the Core program at all while she is going through her 30 minute cheerleading routine. I told myself maybe its because she is an old school program person. I decided to stay after to the meeting to re-listen to her explain the programs to new members. I'm still a bit confused about Core. It would figure no one was new last night. So, I decided I would ask her some questions on my own. I wanted her to explain the sample menu she gave out. She speaks incredibly fast and immediately starting going on and on about points. After a few minutes I was able to cut her off and said "I'm doing the Core program, I'm really excited about it! My husband is a chef and my daughter is just starting whole foods - so we are all working on it together. I'm still a bit confused though because we haven't really discussed it in the meeting." Her response to me was "oh." That was it, just "oh." -- the cheerleader completely left her body. She paused for a few minutes and very flatly said "why don't you buy a cookbook?" So, I smiled and repeated "well, my husband is a chef and honestly we have about 4000 cookbooks." She said "well, you don't have this one." I just sort of stared at her blankly. At that point I realized she was not going to be any help to me at all. I just thanked her and left building. I'm still shaking my head about it. I thought they were supposed to be cheery and supporting of all the programs. I don't know. Maybe its me and I just took it too personally, but I felt pretty disappointed. Just had to vent.

Last edited by WooChx; 05-19-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #2  

Yes, I think there isn't too much of a groundswell for the Core program yet. My leader explained it pretty well and she goes out of her way to answer questions or find out the answers if she doesn't know herself. The emphasis is definitely on Flex, though, partly because the vast majority of the members are on that plan. One thing my leader does is to refer Core people to each other for advice--not on the plan itself--but for information on shopping and cooking, etc. Generally it doesn't come up too much in the meetings, though, except in the context of paying attention to hunger levels.

I hope this doesn't discourage you too much. I've found a lot of the emphasis in meetings is on motivational tools that apply to everyone. People around here are pretty well-versed, too, and we love to hear questions.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #3  

Can you go to a meeting at another time w/ someone else who's leading? I like to try to go to different meetings each week when I can as different leaders have insight or suggestions you'll never hear from other leaders.

Or try another WW center? Not sure where you are, but it's a big city there tend to be more than one lying in opposite directions of where you are.

I'm doing Core and am frustrated myself as I don't think I'm losing any weight on it - we'll see when I weigh in on Sunday.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #4  

I'm enjoying the plan and I love this bulletin board - so I'm not discouraged. I'm doing this for me and so I can be healthy for my daughter. I will try some other meeting times, because I like your suggestion about getting different perspectives. You shouldn't be discouraged either. The weight took a long time to get there, it will take a while to come off. Most importantly you are probably being better to yourself than you have been in a long time. Be proud of that! It's a huge achievement!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #5  
Athlete in Training

Hi --

I know what you mean about leaders who aren't well-versed with core. We have had two temp leaders in the 9 weeks I've been doing WW, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the permanent leader will be a little more knowledgable.

Our leader has actually said some things that are wrong about core, making core sound much more restrictive than it is. She seems amazed that I'm core and I'm losing weight as well as I am. So far I'm the only person in a group of about 20 that is doing core. However, I talked to a newbie last week, and she sounded like she was interested in core, so there might be two of us (unless the leader talked her out of it after the meeting).

I think that core is new and most of the leaders have lost their weight counting points - so that's what they're most familiar with. Hopefully as more of us start reaching goal, there will be an influx of core experts becoming leaders.

This group has been, and continues to be, my source of information about the core program.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:04 PM   #6  

Yes, I agree. Usually, only my Mom and I and maybe one other person in my meeting are doing Core. Our leader usually refers all Core questions to us, instead of answering them herself. I can tell she's more comfortable working with Flex, but at least she's pretty positive when questions do come up. I think interest has gone up since everyone saw me getting my Lifetime - maybe it really DOES work!

I have to say, I've gotten way more Core information here than at my meeting.

Angela
Old 05-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #7  

Thanks, Woo. You're right - I can't get discouraged and I agree that this board is one of the main sources of information and encouragement for Core. Even the WW site doesn't have a board strictly for Core. There are threads for Core, of course, but not one dedicated board like 3FC.

By going to different mtgs. in the past (I just restarted WW about a month ago) I learned of new low-point foods, other ways to cope and whatnot. I just switched to Core because I was hungry all the time on Flex. If Core doesn't work for me I may switch to the Wendie Plan to see if I can jumpstart the weight loss again.

Hey - here's news of encouragement. There is this one girl in my Sun. mtgs. and she lost 40 lbs since January on Core. That's 10 lbs a month!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

You could probably do the Wendie Plan while still on Core by varying your amounts (food intake) each day. I've done it in the past and it works.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #9  
focused and aiming

i am getting my core support here, too. i haven't been on core long but i love it. it reminds me of how my mother used to cook when i was young. good old country cooking.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

My WW Leader is very supportive of Core and actually did it herself for about a month. I think she told me that WW made them try Core so they would understand it. Maybe that was only her Region. Whenever new members have questions or are considering Core she sends them to me. I think you should shop around. Maybe you can find a Leader that is supportive of Core. In the meantime, we'll help all we can!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 PM   #11  
Closed

Question: Is Corn Beef Core?? I thought I saw in the CFC that it is NOT checked Core.
Anyone who has a CFC would you mind checking. I saw a great recipe Angela posted that is a Corn Beef Meal. On page 25 it lists, Corned Beef No Core check mark, but 1 slice, 4 oz = 4pts?? Wow, if that is correct.
Anyone??
Thanks.....

Last edited by L.J; 05-19-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #12  
Southside White Sox Fan

Linda, my CFC says Corned beef is not Core. 2 oz is 4 points.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #13  
CIN

WooChex
I am so sorry you are not getting what you are supposed to at WWers from your Leader.

Leaders are to support both plans equally and show it sincerely in the meeting.

While the minority is Core.........the Leader should be able to answer all your questions about it.

Perhaps your questions WILL PROMPT her to "study up" like she needs to on the plan.

If you like her............give her time and express to her privately you wish to hear more about it in the meeting.

As a Leader myself I KNOW what is EXPECTED of her......................she is letting you and others down no matter how peppy she is IF she isnt answering your questions!

I am a Core Fan! I have to admit! It was a welcome change since Flex has been around a while. I maintain so easily on the Core Plan and no longer have to think about points.....................!

You can request a confidential evaluation form WITHOUT signing it..expressing how you feel Good & Bad.why not ask for one! It is the only way WWers can work on areas that need improvement!

Hope you hang in there and stay on Core.I have a member who has lost 51 pounds on Core.never tried Flex before! Isnt that awesome?

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Old 05-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

What good advice! Who would have ever thought about asking for the evaluation form? Not me!

Thanks, Cin!
Old 05-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey,
I'm not on core but my meeting leader loves it. There are probably only about 4 people at my meeting on core and she is always asking them to talk about it. And they all lose weight so much faster than us flexers. It makes me kind of jelous. so I would definatley try other meetings and see because there are some core cheerleaders out there and some peole who know how to answer questions right.
Keep it up.
Closed Thread