Dieting with Obstacles - Diarrhea Dominent IBS

View Full Version : Diarrhea Dominent IBS

rmjheat
05-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Hello All,

I am new to 3fc. I am a 34 yo mother to 1 dd. I have been happily married for almost 10 yrs. I have had diarrhea dominent IBS since high school - I was finally diagnosed about 12 years ago. I have finally figured out alot of my triggers....I no longer have caffeine, high-fat fast food (i.e. McDonald's), lettuce, spinach or broccoli. In the last year since I figured all this out, I have probably had 10-20 incidents where I was RUNNING for the bathroom. It used to be a daily thing and more than twice a day!

I just started on Oprah & Bob Greene's plan. It is ALOT like the South Beach Diet. I am on day 2 and doing ok. ;) Hopefully I won't have a hard time since I can't eat lettuce. I've been eating egg beaters, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, bananas, cantaloupe, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, pineapple, etc. I guess the good thing about it is, it is getting me out of my comfort zone of white bread, refined sugars and stuff! The last two days I have been eating more veggies and fruites than I had in the last month!

I am a stay at home mom and in home daycare provider to two kids so my lunch routine usually consisted of whatever the kids were having or whatever I could eat standing up! No wonder I've gained weight!

Thanks for listening!
Michelle :lol:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;10722;120;0;0/c/0/t/-47/k/72c8/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

cher123
05-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Hi, I have the "morning rush," with occasional afternoon "emergencies." I'm doing Weight Watcher's Core program, which is similar to South Beach Phase two. I've noticed an improvement in my IBS. One thing I've noticed is that when I eat some of the high fiber/low cal. breads that WW has I do even better. I know that SB recommends using Metamucil as part of the diet. Have you tried that? It's sold as a laxative, but actually can have the effect of normalizing things. I've also been taking fish oil and flaxseed oil for a while, and they seem to help, too.

Alethea
05-17-2005, 06:21 PM
My mom had the same issue until I told her to talk to her doc about taking fiber. She hasn't had an "incident" since, she can even eat lettuce again. He reccommended Konsyl.

Don't know if it'd help either of you folks, but hey there it is.

thebooklass
05-19-2005, 01:44 AM
You know, for years they told my sister she had IBS, but hers turned out to be a wheat intolerance. When she cuts the wheat/gluten out, she is fine.