The Maintenance Library - need fictional weightloss novels

View Full Version : need fictional weightloss novels

MrsDawsondn
05-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a fictional book about weightloss? I am loosing weight and an avid reader. I have come across some really funny books as well as touching ones. Someone on one of these threads said something about a book called diary of a fat housewife and I'm going to pick that up now but I was wondering if anyone else knew of any good reads that were more than just a self help book. Reading and inspiration for entertainment if you get my drift? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Meg
05-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi MrsDawsondn! I'm an avid reader too, so can't wait to hear what everyone recommends. Diary of a Fat Housewife is non-fiction and you said you're looking for ficton, but it's well worth the read. The only novels coming to my mind right now are Jemima J by Jane Green and Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner.

Do you have any recommendations for us? :)

MrsDawsondn
05-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Oh yes ofcourse I read a wonderfully humorous book called somethings wrong with your scale, I can't remember the author. It was the funniest book I'd read yet, I just got back from the library with a book by Helen Fielding call Bridget jones Diary that I'm anxious to read. There was a book entitled fruit by I think his name was Peter cailman I can't remember because I put it back Sorry. I found diary of a fat housewife so I'll be picking that up later today. Oh and the book called The me I knew that I Could be by Krystal Phillips is a good read. If I come up with more I'll be sure to update you guys on this.

Gladdy
05-16-2005, 03:54 PM
I give thumbs up to Meg's suggestion Jemima J ; that was a fun read.

Mrs. D, is the book you're referring to Tales from the Scale ? The author is Erin J. Shea and she has an entertaining weight-loss blog called "Lose the Buddha". http://www.ejshea.com/buddha/index.html
(I haven't read the book yet.)

This is a fun thread; I hope we hear lots of good suggestions! If I think of any, I will post them.

Sashenka
05-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Jennifer Weiner "In her shoes". Interesting and fun to read for both young and old, slim and not slim...

MrsJim
05-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Jemima J is great. I've read Good in Bed it was good but a bit depressing for my tastes.

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood is good!

No one else read Blubber by Judy Blume? Another book I read when I was a teen was One Fat Summer - it was about a fat boy who spends summer at a lake.

Gotta run but I'm sure I'll think of more :)

WaterRat
05-16-2005, 06:10 PM
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, and Night Swimming by Robin Schwarz both deal with weight loss issues, and are good reads.

sapphire9
05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood. It's about anorexia but it's bitingly funny.

MrsDawsondn
05-18-2005, 11:31 AM
I give thumbs up to Meg's suggestion Jemima J ; that was a fun read.

Mrs. D, is the book you're referring to Tales from the Scale ? The author is Erin J. Shea and she has an entertaining weight-loss blog called "Lose the Buddha". http://www.ejshea.com/buddha/index.html
(I haven't read the book yet.)

This is a fun thread; I hope we hear lots of good suggestions! If I think of any, I will post them.

It's called somethings wrong with your scale by van whitfield and it was by far the funniest book I've read on weightloss yet. Oh and just an update for all the bridget jones diary is a pretty good book. The author and narrative character is european so sometimes I am struggling with understanding the lingo but all in all it's pretty funny and I'm sure everyone that has ever struggled with juggling weight and life can relate. You'll get a chuckle here and there from it.

Gladdy
05-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Totally OT, but I had to share the title of a newly-published book:

"Be Honest--You're Not That Into Him Either..."
by Ian Kerner

:lol: :cool:

Sophie2B
05-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Some books that deal with weight loss issues are:

Fat Chance, by Deborah Blumenthal
Slim Chance, by Jackie Rose
In Her Shoes, by Jennifer Weiner (also deals with weight loss issue of one of the sisters)
Life in the fat lane, by Cherie Bennett (Young Adult fiction)

I can only recommend "In Her Shoes" though I will be reading "Slim Chance" any day now.

Happy Reading,
Sophie2B

Universityprincess
05-25-2005, 05:13 AM
I read Something is Wrong with Your Scale, and I have to say that I did not like it.

Savin4Disney
06-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Here are some books I have read:
I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure
The Weight Loss Diaries by Courtney Rubin

Trixie14
06-12-2005, 06:59 PM
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, and Night Swimming by Robin Schwarz both deal with weight loss issues, and are good reads.

I'll Second She Comes Undone, what an AWESOME read that was!! I loved that book, I have read a few others called 'Fat Chance' by Leslea Newman, 'Insatiable' by Eve Eliot, 'Life in the Fat lane' by Cherie Bennett and some others I can't think of, try going to Chapters.ca and searching for 'weight fiction' or 'weight loss fiction' that is what I do...

Mel
06-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I'll "third" She's Come Undone and second The Edible Woman. Both fantastic books!

Mel

Sheila53
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
I enjoyed Night Swimming, although she must be doing hours if she can lose that much weight. I do hydrofit water aerobics four times a week and two full-body workouts a week and haven't lost nearly that much. I know. . .it's fiction!

4myloves
06-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Mrs. Jim,

I didn't really think Blubber was as much about weight loss as it was about how cruel kids/teens can be (there was no such thing as a "tween" back then).

Other teen books, though:
Me and Fat Glenda
Hey, Remember Fat Glenda? (best)
Fat Glenda's Summer Romance

When Mirrors Lie (about EDs)

Usless in remembering authors from that long ago! Sorry.

Lizzyg
06-19-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm going to 4th She's come Undone by Wally Lamb. Its one of my favorite books.

~Liz

tikanique
06-29-2005, 07:45 AM
5th right here. I LOVED that book.

I also loved Blubber, by Judy Blume. My daughter just finished reading it and she loved it also.

Tiki.

slimcharm
09-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Just Desserts...by Patti Masserman (sp) is a good fiction read.

TMunday
09-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Now this is a totally awesome topic! Thanks for starting it!! I love to read... and yes for some reason I like to things that pertain (sp?) to life's issues.

Unfortionately I cannot recommend anything. All I have read are cookbook, diet books and stuff like that. OH... I was told about a book called Losing It awhile ago. I have it... but I have yet to be able to read it. :(

I made a list of the books you all mentioned. I am going to check them out. Thanks.... and if I can find any good books I will let you know. :)

TMunday
09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
By the way... Blubber was AWESOME!! :)

iowasteph2
09-17-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm all for Jemima J. I loved it!!

lizzbabe
10-02-2005, 10:46 AM
LOVED Jemima J. Also just finished Life in the Fat Lane and Diary of a Fat Housewife. Both were good but I was disappointed in the abrupt ending of the latter. I found a great website to swap old books (www.paperbackswap.com) and I just searched for these ones people recommended here and got to check them out. If anyone is interested it is a free service where you earn credits by swapping your own books out. Feel free to use me as a referral name (regan_liz @ yahoo). I got a couple good cookbooks and exercise books so far too.

MrsDawsondn
11-01-2005, 08:30 AM
I just finished she's come undone, wow that was a very good book! Thanks for the recommendation guys. For some reason I just couldn't get through diary of a fat housewife, It was too depressing or something I dunno I'll maybe have to try something else. Thanks for the great reads guys I'll check out blubber too.

TMunday
11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi ladies. Has anyone checked out Coming Home To Myself by Wynonna Judd? I got it and started reading it, however I have had to set it down for a little bit because I have been reading health (diabetes) books instead right now. But from what I read it seems like an awesome book! It is all about her struggles with weight and depression and everything in her life!!! It seems like an awesome book! I can't wait to read it.

crd43123
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I can't remember who wrote this but "Just desserts".

phantastica
11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I really enjoyed this book, although I think it's based on a true story: Passing for Thin: Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0767912918/103-6147861-3483054?v=glance) by Frances Kuffel.

Meg
11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Yep, Passing For Thin is an autobiography - Frances Kuffel is a real person who really lost all that weight. :)

MrsJim
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I can't BELIEVE I forgot to mention this one - which is one of my favorite trashy novels :)

The only catch is you MUST read the first of the two books...both written by Kathryn Harvey.

The one having to do with weightloss is titled Stars (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595347797/104-3701717-4179944?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance) which is the sequel to Butterfly (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595347800/104-3701717-4179944?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance).

Both delightfully trashy, engrossing, and fun to read with absolutely no socially redeeming value ;) and a weightloss theme to boot (at least in Stars.

KO
11-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Good in bed was depressing!
There was a Paula Danziger book I can't remember the title But the girl was fat and she wrote Ofcourse in the sequel she was thin
that paperbackswap sounds good!

MTHead
11-16-2005, 01:57 PM
The Danzinger book was "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit" and the sequel (where the main character was thin) was "There's a Bat in Bunk Five."

shrinkingchica
11-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Ok. I am seriously not liking Jemima J. At 204 # she says that she is a "lump" with several chins and can hardly move. Also, the calories that the character is consuming in a day at her highest 217 sounds to be about 4,000 which is impossible and then at 210 she loses 10# in 2 weeks.
That is all impossible and unrealistic. And I am seriously insulted that the author describes a 204# woman as a gross lump who people can hardly look at.

ElisabethCK
11-16-2005, 11:53 PM
"The Next Big Thing" was good. Sorry I can't remember the author.

Elisabeth

Goddess Jessica
11-18-2005, 02:16 AM
I flipping hating Jemima J. Hated. HATED! :)

But I loved Good In Bed.

jillybean720
11-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Ok. I am seriously not liking Jemima J. At 204 # she says that she is a "lump" with several chins and can hardly move. Also, the calories that the character is consuming in a day at her highest 217 sounds to be about 4,000 which is impossible and then at 210 she loses 10# in 2 weeks.
That is all impossible and unrealistic. And I am seriously insulted that the author describes a 204# woman as a gross lump who people can hardly look at.
I haven't read it, but have you ever tried to eat 4000 calories in a day? If you pick the right foods, it's not really all that difficult :devil: Also, when starting a diet, a lot of people lose the most in their first couple of weeks--I've seen people lose 8 pounds in a week, so 10 in 2 weeks isn't so far-fetched. I do agree, though, that describing a 204-pound woman as being so unsightly is quite frustrating, although I do know that even at only 204 pounds, that is how some people truly feel inside about themselves, so maybe that was the idea?

shrinkingchica
11-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I haven't read it, but have you ever tried to eat 4000 calories in a day? If you pick the right foods, it's not really all that difficult :devil: Also, when starting a diet, a lot of people lose the most in their first couple of weeks--I've seen people lose 8 pounds in a week, so 10 in 2 weeks isn't so far-fetched. I do agree, though, that describing a 204-pound woman as being so unsightly is quite frustrating, although I do know that even at only 204 pounds, that is how some people truly feel inside about themselves, so maybe that was the idea?

Jill-- It is not just how the character feels about herself, it is also how the narrator describes her. I found it to be extremely insensitive. Also, the problem I had with the calorie intake and weight loss was with her weight. At 204, if one were to eat 4,000 cal. a day you would gain like mad! Also, at 204 she loses waaaayyyy to much weight for it to seem feasible. I calculated it and she would definately have to be eating under 1,000 cal. a day and that doesn't seem to be what the narrator describes as her daily food intake. I mean, the character Jemima loses 100# in 6 mos. (from 217-117). Maybe 100# in 6 mos (from 317-217) might be a reasonable plot line, but I am not buying this whole story.
If anyone who is/was much over 217# wants to feel badly about themselves, I would recommend this book.
I just really found the book to be personally insulting. But, then again, that is just me. Plenty of people seem to have enjoyed it.

Lissa68
12-13-2005, 05:17 AM
I adore paranormal romances and one of my favorite authors has a book where the heroine is overweight and the guy she hooks up with this muscle bound hunk! Lovely romp! He thinks shes hot and loves her no matter her weight *awwww* (reminds me of my hubby in that aspect!) *grins*

Sherrilyn Kenyon http://www.kinleymacgregor.com/were/niplay.htm to read an excerpt, if you are into a thrilling H-O-T read... then check this book out that features a real woman.

Bride McTierney has had it with men. They're cheap, self-centered, and never love her for who she is. But though she prides herself on being independent, deep down she still yearns for a knight in shining armor. She just never expected her knight in shining armor to have a shiny coat of fur...

Deadly and tortured, Vane Kattalakis isn't what he seems. Most women lament that their boyfriends are dogs. In Bride's case, hers is a wolf. A Were-Hunter wolf. Wanted dead by his enemies, Vane isn't looking for a mate. But the Fates have marked Bride as his. Now he has three weeks to either convince Bride that the supernatural is real or he will spend the rest of his life neutered--something no self-respecting wolf can accept...

But how does a wolf convince a human to trust him with her life when his enemies are out to end his? In the world of the Were-Hunters, it really is dog-eat-dog. And only one alpha male can win.

NowOrNever!
12-20-2005, 06:26 PM
shrinkingchica, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. For pure entertainment, I enjoy Weiner's books. BUT...as a Big Woman, I think that a LOT of what she says in all her books reinforces many societal images of overweight/fat women as being undesirable and that you must lose weight in order to be accepted/loved/liked/successful, whatever.

NOT about weight loss, but featuring a hysterical Big Woman who doesn't lack for confidence are the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. Lula plays a secondary--but not to be forgotten--role in bounty hunter Stephanie's escapades. For pure fun, this series is hard to beat (and hey, evey my MOTHER cracks up just talking about the books). I think Lula first appears in the 2nd book, but treat yourself at a used bookstore to the series--in order-and have a good laugh.

ladyinweighting
01-22-2006, 06:02 PM
2 books (I haven't yet read either) are The Afterlife Diet by Daniel Pinkwater and Thinner Than Thou by Kit Reed.

Lynn

KimberlyinMN
01-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Just Desserts...by Patti Masserman (sp) is a good fiction read.

This is a GREAT book! As I was reading through this thread, I was trying to remember the name of this book. I just looked it up online at our library and the author's name is Patti Massman. If you do a search at Amazon, you'll find the book faster by searching for the author's name. I wonder what ever happened to my copy??

Kimberly

telemetrynurse
02-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I enjoyed Pretty Woman by Fern Michaels. The story depicts a woman who struggles to lose weight, gain self esteem and deal with an abusive relationship.

maegdaeien
02-06-2006, 07:49 PM
I absolutely loved Lady Oracle; I think it did such a great job of showing that sometimes overweight people have a reason for being that way-- emotional insulation, needing to blend in, etc. Such a complex character.

However, I absolutely loathed She's Come Undone. I thought every single character was absolutely dispicable and I felt no sympathy or compassion for the main character.

Anyone notice how Nora Robert's characters are always willowy with subtle curves? I think once she even gave the weight and height of her female lead: 5'7" and 115. What is it, Nora? Only freakishly skinny women can get the guy? Honestly, someday I'm going to have to write the Fat Girl's romance novel.

canadian*girl
02-09-2006, 07:49 PM
'she's come undone' is a wonderful read. so are 'edible woman' and 'lady oracle by margerat atwood.

for a good funny read i like erma bombeck. i don't think there's anything specifically about weight loss but it's all tied together with family, raising children, sububarn living and weight issues. any of her books are a good laugh indeed.

Less of Lena
02-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Sorry to ressurect such an old thread but I couldn't let it go without mentioning Thinner by Stephen King. It's rather old -- I think it may have come out in the 80s? Interesting read, though, at least it was back then! :lol:

Basic premise: Morbidly obese man finds the Magic Bullet and voila, weight just starts dropping off! Woohoo!!!!! Life is GOOD! However, as is generally true with Stephen King novels (at least, for the older ones), it's not all good news and things take an odd turn for this guy.

Can't go much further without spoiling it, so I'll end there.

I'll have to pick up some of the suggestions made in the above posts. Thanks, al!

MagentaMaMa
02-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I will also have to pick up a couple of these reads. They sound interesting.

sli
05-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi MrsDawsondn! I'm an avid reader too, so can't wait to hear what everyone recommends. Diary of a Fat Housewife is non-fiction and you said you're looking for ficton, but it's well worth the read. The only novels coming to my mind right now are Jemima J by Jane Green and Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner.

Do you have any recommendations for us? :)

I read both of these books and they were great! I loved them both!
Jennifer Weiner has alot out there that are good. I have only read the one by Jane Green and it was great!

sli
05-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Oops I just noticed the dates of these posts but I thought that it was a great thread and I am planning on getting alot of the books suggested.
Thanks

Meg
05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks for pulling up the thread - it's a good one. :) Anyone else have any book recommendations?

shrinkingchica
05-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Conversations with the Fat Girl is good. I just read that recently and it was loads better than Jemima J or others.

sli
05-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Conversations with the Fat Girl is good. I just read that recently and it was loads better than Jemima J or others.

Who wrote it?

shrinkingchica
05-17-2006, 10:39 PM
liza palmer

Biancaneve
06-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I think someone mentioned this earlier, but said they hadn't read it yet - Losing It, by Jane Asher.

It's a good read. It has several interrelated plotlines, one of which is about a young (late teens from memory) British girl preparing for and going through RNY weightloss surgery, and her communications with her online weightloss buddy, who lives in America.

One word of caution - if you're the type of person to take all portrayals of overweight people personally and be insulted, maybe steer clear of this book. It's a very warts-and-all portrayal of the character, and while she has many positive qualities, she's by no means a lovely, perfect character who we'd all want to identify with. All the characters are like that to an extent, not just this girl, and for me this was a positive feature of the book - I liked the way the author took a group of not-totally-lovable characters and created her story so skilfully that I could still sympathise with them despite their faults.

** Biancaneve **

Rachey
06-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I just found this chick lit site that has a list of bigger girl fiction with many of the stories about the main character trying to lose weight. I hope this helps some of you.
http://chicklitbooks.com/all/biggergirllit.php

sli
06-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I just found this chick lit site that has a list of bigger girl fiction with many of the stories about the main character trying to lose weight. I hope this helps some of you.
http://chicklitbooks.com/all/biggergirllit.php
Hey, thanks!

Libby1972
03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Water with Lemon (WWL) by Zonya Foco, is AMAZING! Highly recommend it.

nelie
04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't know about weightloss fiction anymore. I read Jemima J and was really turned off by it. Not sure if I could venture out to the weightloss fiction arena anymore :)

sportmom
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I checked this out to read and after 7 chapters, realized I have read it before, but not sure when. But once she met the LA fitness guy online, I remembered definitely having read it - before it just sounded like any of the Shopaholic novels to me. But what specifically turned you off about it Nelie? I've been trying to figure out what, but can't put my finger on it just yet - maybe I haven't gotten to that part yet.

nelie
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Fran,
If you haven't finished or got further in the book then I really can't say :)

sportmom
04-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Hmm.......I'm only about 1/2 thru now. Is it:

* where she meets with her trainer who says, let's burn off this fat with some cardio first and then we'll start working with weights...... LOL - we LWL hate this idiocy!

* where she gets "obsessed" and starts skipping meals and surviving on lemon water bc she is so "motivated" HA! Like that will last long.

Am I close? I'm guessing that even tho this is bad it's something at the end of the book based on when you wrote it. I did read the epilogue already, is it that?

nelie
04-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Keep going Fran. I was actually thinking of that book this morning and it was pissing me off. Maybe this is why I don't read "girly girl" books.

sportmom
04-15-2007, 06:29 PM
OK, I'm done. Tell me. Is it the binge eating/purging in the end? The way he only recognized that he loved her thin, or the "fairy tales do come true" ending in the last paragraph? (Hmm...so many choices, can't believe I read it twice! Really only did bc I couldn't remember the plot, but once it was revealed it was painful to the finish)

nelie
04-15-2007, 08:59 PM
- The fairy tale ending bothers me a lot. I would've much rather seen her get with some other guy than the guy that ignored her when she was overweight.
- The fact that she went from "fat" to "perfect"
- The whole "secret" GF thing where the guy can't possibly have an overweight GF

Maybe I just don't like girly books but it just rubbed me wrong. I think there were other things that bothered me but I can't remember. I just know I was annoyed after reading it and throughout it, certain things annoyed me.

sportmom
04-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the plot was bizarre. I kept thinking he would be gay, but esp in LA, that would not be a hindrance to being a successful business owner, kwim? I had to keep reminding myself tho that the book was written in 99, so maybe then, I don't know. THe internet references & having to "learn" it were certainly funny - internet cafes, etc. Are there even any more of those? I think everyone packs their own laptop now and ic's have been just replaced with hot spots everywhere. But the fact that he couldn't be a gym owner and have a fat girlfriend and went to these lengths for a trophy girlfriend made no sense. I mean, hello, fat girl WORKED at the gym - how damaging could it have been. 2, he could have gotten fat girl healthy in the amount of time it took JJ to get across the ocean, if he really cared that much. 3. He never really took JJ out that much to public events, so who even ever knew he had a girlfriend, or even if he was gay/straight - no one cared. Much like the reader, hmmm?!!

KnitALisa
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Another hater of Jemima J here. Found it totally unrealistic and insulting. Being over 200 lbs does not automatically equal being a sexless fat lump with no spine any more than being under 120 equals being a shapely sex goddess with a firey personality. Boooo!
Anyone notice how Nora Robert's characters are always willowy with subtle curves? I think once she even gave the weight and height of her female lead: 5'7" and 115. What is it, Nora? Only freakishly skinny women can get the guy? Honestly, someday I'm going to have to write the Fat Girl's romance novel.
I KNOW! I seriously love NR, have tons of her books, but this is one of my pet peeves about her. Come on, Nora, lets have a little diversity! She occaisionally writes about a character that isn't tiny and "delicate" but with underlying strength (ugh, whatev). If you read the "In Death" series (written under JD Robb), Peabody, a secondary character, is described as being all curves and desirable, but constantly worries about her body and the size of her butt (still my fav character in the series, easily). But please do write the Fat Girl's romance novel. I'll be the first in line to purchase a hard back copy. :)

cagesorwings
05-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I thought Jemima J was a great read, very entertaining.... certainly NOT realistic though! And her weight loss method was definitely not healthy. That was mentioned in the writing a bit though, but I thought it was ODD and kind of a bad writing style that the author would say, "Perhaps Jemima is eating too little...?" or something to that effect, kind of suggesting that there will be a plot turn where she is anorexic or something, but there was no follow up. I do have to admit that I've read it quite a few times though, [SPOILER] I love how she gets together with the guy at the end :)

Sarah Dessen, a teen fiction writer, has a book called "Keeping the Moon" which is a great one about teen weight loss issues, discovering/embracing inner & outer beauty.... I really enjoyed it! In fact, I think I might reread it now, its a perfect summer read because it takes place in the summer :)

I LOVE chick lit, especially these sorts of books!

tucsonchris
05-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Just finished a book by Fern Michaels "Pretty Woman"

It is a semi-weight loss story. A good read, sort of ran close to my life. She gave the main character real feelings and real thoughts, things I used to think when I was heavy.

This was a good Sunday afternoon read for me

Chris

elmuyloco5
07-27-2007, 02:57 PM
X

ANOther
08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I second Thinner than Thou. Earlier this year, I also read Alternate Beauty by Andrea Rains Weggener. Cute premise, (it's about a size 28 gal who manages a plus-size boutique, not only does her rail-thin mom get on her case but her plump boss threatens to fire her because she's too disturbing to the customers: she goes to bed wishing the world would be more accepting of fat people, and the following morning wakes up in a world where big is desirable and skinny is frowned on; but then she starts losing weight like a shot ...) but I might have preferred if she'd run more with the alternate-reality angle and less with the standard-issue chick lit

:book2:

Runundefined
06-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to bring this back up to the top.
I am looking for more reading and I figure more of you are too.

steph324
06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie is one of my favorite books of all time. The heroine is constantly harrangued by her mother about needing to lose weight. She figures out how to be happy with herself (not by imbracing the "I must be thin to be loved" mantra that was my reason for disliking Jemima J) and finds a man that loves her who never even notices her weight except to talk about how much he loves her curves. The book is funny and sweet.

Amy8888
06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Has anyone tried typing these titles into Amazon to see what other books they recommend? I find tons of stuff that way.

This is not a novel but it certainly reads like one: Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. It's a little bawdy, but I thought it was hilarious.

s rosa
07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
The "Size 12 is not fat" series by Meg Cabot is pretty good. It's not really about weight loss but the heroine is a size 12 (size 14 in the second book in the series) and is really hilarious if you're into chick lit. I read it when I'm sick of reading books with waif-like heroines but don't need a lot of serious introspection.

knitsforfive
07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
After reviewing this thread, I checked out I am Not The New Me and Diary of a Fat Housewife from the library. Both were compelling reads. I thought that Diary could have been shorter. She goes on and on and on about how miserable she is. I do think she covered how it feels to be fat and how it feels to overeat, despite your best efforts not too, in a very realistic way.

I found it interesting that neither author reached their goals. I appreciated how the author of I am NOt the New Me handled this fact -- it was very raw and realistic. I was frustrated that the author of Fat Housewife had been yo-yoing with an 800 calorie/day diet throughout the diary. There was no mention that this is dangerous and probably the reason she would binge every few days. In fact, at one point, she footnoted an entry about eating under 800 calories by saying that she would never go below 800 these days, but always stays right around 800.

New Me follows Weight Watchers, successfully until near the end. Diary follows the author through 800 calorie days cycled with massive amounts of bingeing. It is not a diet book.

I recommend New Me over Fat Housewife, though thumbing through Fat Housewife and reading occasional entries would be interesting.

Just my 2 cents.

Sylvied
07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Thank you steph324! Bet Me was the first book that came to mind when I saw this thread but I couldn't remember the name of it.
You're right, it isn't really about a weightloss journey but her self acceptance process does make it a good read for someone doing the weightloss/maintaining thing. And it's funny... and her mother is so incredibly despiseable and yet funny.

BiancaRose
08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I've read Articokes Heart
its such a cute book although it is teen read it just makes me laugh and is so cute because its something every girl wants for herself i defiantly recommend it.

PeanutsMom704
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I just happened to notice this thread - what a great idea, and I'll definitely be going back and reading some of these suggestions.

One that I didn't see mentioned was The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer. It was recently made into a Lifetime movie called Lying to be Perfect. You can read an excerpt from the book on the movie website

http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/lying-to-be-perfect/cinderella-pact-excerpt

CharlieBaby
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
What a great thread!

I read Jemima J, and I agree that it seemed unrealistic (in the fairy tale ending, particularly) but I did enjoy reading it.

I remember reading "Scruples" by Judith Krantz (hi, my name is CharlieBaby and I'm addicted to trashy chicklit) and the main character undergoes a serious weight transformation in the beginning. The entire book isn't about that, but I really liked that part of it.

And "Big Girl" is a new release by Danielle Steel - I haven't read it yet but the premise looks good (on amazon).

zamzam
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm reading "Such as a Pretty Fat" and it is hilarous!

Runundefined
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I wanted to bump this thread. Read any good books to add to these lately? I NEED inspiration as I'm sure we all do.

patchworkpenguin
04-01-2010, 08:25 PM
'Bridesmaid's Reward' by Liz Fielding is a favorite of mine. My local library has it in the large print section. Its published by Mills and Boon, and is set in England. Its about a overweight woman who's perfect moviestar sister {I'm not kidding} is getting married and Dodie is under orders from her Mom to drop some weight so she can be the perfect Maid of Honor. Its a romance but deals with issues such as emotional eating, lifestyle changes, and family issues.

I check it out and re-read it everytime I need a re-start or have hit a plateau.

ParadiseFalls
04-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Jennifer Weiner has alot out there that are good.

I LOVE Jennifer Weiner!! I almost never go for the "beach read" type books, but hers are wonderful. I've read everything she's written just finished "Best Friends Forever." They're not all about losing weight but the main characters always are heavier (or once-fat) women.

I'll also second "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. Beautiful book.

Amy8888
04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't know, I've generally found non-fiction and memoirs to be more compelling than fictional weight loss novels. The most recent one I read was Confessions of a Carb Queen by Susan Blech. I could not put it down.

Eumie
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
I didn't even finish Jemima J because it was so poorly written.

As for Good in Bed, I absolutely loved the book, and then at the end after all of the walking she says to the doctor that she's finally thin! So I'm wondering how someone who was described as sooo overweight got so thin in so little time. And then she states that she lost something like 40 lbs. Perhaps it's because I started my journey with more than 100 lbs. to lose, but based on her descriptions of the character in the beginning, she just seemed way too heavy to be "thin" at a 40 lb. loss. So that disappointed me. I couldn't even finish the sequel, though. Boring.

She's Come Undone was well written, and I liked a lot about it, but it sure was a painful read.

BeeOfTheBird
04-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm cheating a little bit here because these aren't fiction, but I really enjoyed I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure. INTNM is essentially a collection of personal essays and stories she compiled about her on-again, off-again weight loss struggles. Wendy is a contributor to BUST magazine and the Television Without Pity website, as well as her personal blog. Her writing style is really easygoing and her stories are SO easy to empathize with, like the one about getting stuck talking to a skeezy guy in a bar who tells her how attractive she'd be if she just lost a few pounds...something a lot of us can relate to, I'm sure! Plus it's pretty funny, to boot.

I've also heard good things about The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl, also originally based on a blog, but I've yet to read it. Too much school work is interfering with my treasured reading time! :mad:

ivygirl19
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I am currently reading secrets of a former fat girl by Lisa Delaney. It isn't fictional but it is written in a humorous way that doesn't make its seem like too serious of an autobiography. I have found it really motivational and relatable.

sotypical
05-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Awesome thread! After going through the posts I ran down to the libary and grabbed "She's Come Undone" - I remember seeing a copy when I was there on Friday and it was still there. I just started a book this morning so it will be a few days before I get to it, but I am looking forward to it.

I really enjoy Jennifer Weiner, Good in Bed was the first book I picked up by her. And I was so surprised when the main character was overweight - I have read more of her books since then and they have all been fantastic!

vertigoskyy
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Water with Lemon by Zonya Foco & Stephen Moss was a good read!

Alicia87
08-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Someone said earlier about paranormal romances, and the Sherrilyn Kenyon book...I'd like to second that! It's my favorite book by her, I love how the character is a bigger girl and her man loves her for it :)

Also, Heather Wells mysteries by Meg Cabot are great! They aren't about weight loss, but they are really funny and feature a character who is realistic about weight.

love114
08-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Someone said earlier about paranormal romances, and the Sherrilyn Kenyon book...I'd like to second that! It's my favorite book by her, I love how the character is a bigger girl and her man loves her for it :)

Also, Heather Wells mysteries by Meg Cabot are great! They aren't about weight loss, but they are really funny and feature a character who is realistic about weight.

I LOVE the Heather Wells mysteries! Very enjoyable :D

ETA: Oops I realized this is in the Maintainers forum, I just saw it pop up on recent threads. sorry!

Serval87
01-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Bump!

Wondering if anyone else has any titles to add? I've been making a list, and am deciding to find some of these. :)

BTW, thought you gals might enjoy a little excerpt of something that this thread inspired me to write (so excited, because I've had the worst writer's block, and although it's FAR from perfect it's seriously the most I've written in weeks!) I hope this isn't inappropriate.

"This is it, thought Santana as she marched up the driveway, arms weighed down with plastic bags, I'm finally going to do it!

She had been in town all day, hopping from one store to the next. Sure, there had been many temptations … especially when she had passed by the bakery and gave one fleeting glance at the warm, flaky rolls and doughnuts with their sweet fillings, but it was much easier to say no when they didn't belong to her, when she had to pay money in order to get them. Santana's main problem lay in her inability to refuse food offerings from her friends and family.

Although Santana never felt her friends and family purposely sabotaged her diets, they certainly never made them easy. Once she had brought up the topic of dieting to her mother-- she occasionally visited her through the week when her husband was at work--who had immediately curled her upper lip and made condescending remarks about how she could still eat the same foods, but just in smaller portions.

“Even good food can be bad if eaten in big amounts. Portioning is the key to success. You can't eliminate everything,” Santana's mother would say, sighing. “What's life without the little pleasures?” Then she would pass Santana a plate of cookies, and of course she would accept.

“Well … it is only one,” Santana would say with a timid smile, but she could never just eat one.

Yes. Food was definitely a pleasure for her. She had used it for stress relief, as a reward, and to relieve boredom. She even found it hard to enjoy a movie without a bowl of chips, a slice of pizza, or even a couple blocks of chocolate at her fingertips. She just needed that fix, something to go into her mouth, something to chew and swallow. How she loved the process. It filled a void inside of her that nothing else could reach.

Suffice to say, food was definitely a pleasure for Santana, but its hold on her was far from little. Apparently her mother knew nothing about her struggles. After all, her mother had never dealt with obesity.

Santana could only hope that this new plan would work. She had dreamed of being skinny for so long, ever since she was in school. One of her favorite fantasies was to envision her new toned, whittled body clad in some tight outfit. She would move with a dancer's sashay as if she had been fit and graceful all her life, and attract the stares of both men and women as she passed by.

But Santana knew that these fantasies were just that: fantasies. She only envisioned them; she didn't actually get off her butt and work out, and she never ordered salad or fish when her husband took her out to eat. Sometimes it felt hopeless. She never had energy, so she only sat there, eyes far away, focused on the visions in her head, visions that would never be.

But that was all about to change, or at least Santana hoped it would. She had read numerous forums and blogs online about how the desire to succeed had suddenly clicked into determination for some people, allowing them to go through the process of shedding their extra weight. Santana could never recall a time when anything like this had happened with her, but that desire was there. She hated the way her body looked. She wanted to change. She just hoped that was good enough.

Santana pushed through the doorway, her arms at their breaking point. Come on, she urged, clenching her jaw, you can do it; Just make it to the kitchen table.

At last, she heaved the bags onto the table, and gave a relieved sigh as she stretched out her arms. The 8 bags sat before her, catching rays of sunlight from the nearby window that exposed the bright-colored vegetables and fruit inside of them.

She frowned.

Tonight's dinner would be vastly different than what she was accustomed to. She just hoped the task of preparing and cooking it wouldn't be completely draining. It was so easy to just pop a pizza into the oven at the end of the day. She couldn't remember the last time she had even looked at a recipe, let alone chopped up fresh ingredients.

Santana dropped onto one of the kitchen chairs, and let herself cry. She was so afraid of failure that it was instinctual for her to turn away before even taking the challenge. She felt overwhelmed, and Santana had only ever found one cure for that: eating.

“No,” she said, knowing that she had to hear the rejection aloud. It was like talking to a child, telling them that they can't have a sweet before dinner. Santana squeezed her eyes close, and took in a deep breath. “This is going to work. I'm not going to let myself fail again.” "

Runundefined
04-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Avery,

I really enjoyed reading that and wanted to bump this thread again!
I love reading anything that motivates me to stay on track. I am re-reading "Stop The Insanity" again.. although I believe from what I've learned over the last few years that the "low fat" movement in dieting is mostly wrong, I love how this book makes me WANT to exercise. Every time I read it I get back my motivation to move my body more.

Serval87
04-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Thank you, Runundefined.

suzie76
04-14-2011, 08:42 AM
The book "He Loves Lucy" by Susan Donovan was a story about a woman losing weight. It looks like a romance novel, but it definitely had more depth, exploring self esteem issues of the main character. (who was extremely likable)

Sherry

MercuryFiver
01-22-2012, 03:41 PM
There's an older novel (late 80s?) I like called The Dieter, by Susan Sussman. The main character starts off thin, then starts gaining weight after she quits smoking and suffers a personal tragedy. I don't remember her getting that big, maybe just enough to bump her into the "overweight" BMI category. But I found her struggles to be very relatable.

I love this topic!

veggiedawg
03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Old thread but, I really enjoyed "Night Swimming" by Robin Schwarz.
Fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Swimming-Robin-Schwarz/dp/0446694584