Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Chocolate Meringue Kisses: From the 5/16 Daily Dish

You can mess around with the flavor by changing the extract (though I'd add a little vanilla to any other flavors). My grandmother made amazing choco-mint ones of these (which are delightfully pink!) by adding some unsweetened cocoa powder with the sugar and using mint extract. Yum!

Quote:
Chocolate Meringue Kisses
From the 5/16 Daily Dish: Don't be afraid to use a pastry-bag — once you get the hang of it, it's really easy. These cookies will keep for a week, tightly covered. Wait to sandwich the cookies together until just before serving.

Ingredients
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar substitute
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, lumps removed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Light whipped topping (1 tablespoon per sandwich)

Instructions
Tip: Make sure your bowl is completely dry and clean of grease or the whites will not whip up enough.

Preheat oven to 250°F. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a clean bowl or electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Whisk at highest spped until whites form soft peaks that hold their shape when you lift the whisk. Add the sugar substitute, 1 tablespoon at a time; whisk until whites turn glossy and form stiff peaks that hold their shape. Do not underbeat. Whisk in cocoa and vanilla until blended.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Fit a large star nozzle into a pastry bag. Fill pastry bag with meringue. Pipe 20 meringue kisses onto prepared sheets. Bake 30 minutes, until crisp and dry. Turn oven off, let cookies cool in oven for 30 minutes. Remove from baking sheet. Sandwich pairs of cooled cookies together with whipped topping.

Makes 10 cookies.

Nutritional Information:
19 calories
1 total fat (1 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
2 g carbohydrate
1 g protein
0 g fiber
11 mg sodium

Last edited by beachgal; 06-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 02:46 AM   #2  

I love these and they are so expensive to buy at the store...I am going to try making some tomorrow...thank you! I wonder how they would be with other extracts....almond etc...
thanks again!!
shortiemetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:39 AM   #3  

BeachGal and Shortiemetoo, yeah If these are what I think they are I use to be addicted to the Chocochip Mint ones.... so I think I might add mint extract...
Thankyou Beach Gal, you are always so giving and sharing of your recipe finds! And PS.. I visited the Gallery and saw your evolution... SUCH an inspiration-- You LOOOK MAHVALAS DAHLINK!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #4  

Thank you, Thank you!!! These were great!
djett626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #5  
krazy binging insomiac

2 comments. Keep in mind i was doing these by hand and i assume most of you have an electric blender. [Note: The problems this member had are, undoubtedly, due to not using an electric mixer. You need one for egg whites--it's very difficult to whip them up properly without it]
1. This was disgustingly weet... I could really taste the splenda as opposed to sugar. quite gross actually.

2. adding the vanilla killed the meringue. it became flat and no amount of whpping will bring it back up. i tried the recipe twice to se if i had done something wrong the first time but nope, it screwed up again the second time to. perhaps adding the vanilla in the beginning would change that.

i hope others have more luck than i do.

Last edited by beachgal; 06-29-2009 at 11:58 AM.
nefarious_wytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #6  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

These are excellent! Don't let the post before mine stop you from trying them. You cannot properly whip egg whites without an electric mixer- just not gonna work!
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #7  

Yummm these look yummy i cant wait to try them
Thank you
shorebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/155/135

Height: 5'6"

I think these sound amazing and can't wait to get to the store tomorow so I can make them!!
marie718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #9  

Is the nutritional info that is given for the entire batch?
texasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

I am going home and making these TONIGHT! Thank you!
NurseKim112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #11  
Beautiful Underneath

S/C/G: 220/211.8/110

Height: 5'4''

I made these today! Found the recipe in a SBD cookbook I borrowed from the library. Yummy! <3 The boyfriend loves them as well!
Bellissa is offline   Reply With Quote