Exercise! - Cool Runners #6 - May 16-21...

View Full Version : Cool Runners #6 - May 16-21...

Ilene
05-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Good Morning :coffee: Runners !!

Last week I ran 25k... This week I'm going to try for a bit more :yes: ...BUT no running for me today because it's leg :strong: day!! I always look forward to doing legs !!

:coach: Next !!

AnneWonders
05-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Well, no running for me last week, but I did get out of the house and walk 3 days in a row. Pretty nice. I'm getting to be a lot more consistent now that I'm out of my 1st trimester and feeling better. I'll probably do some kind of aerobics video tonight--it's supposed to be 100 F here today and it just won't cool down fast enough to get outside after work, and I didn't get a chance this morning.

My goal for the week: 5x exercise and at least one each of swim, bike, and run. Ok, running is actually run/walk/waddle these days, but hey.

Anne

skinnyjeans
05-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone. Thanks for the Congrats. Had a great weekend and the damage was not that bad when I got on the scale, refreshing change. Going for a run after work today since I stayed up too late last night to go this morning. Oops. And painting our bathroom also, great arms workout!

My goal is to get in 5 workouts this week also. Good luck Anne.

SJ

paperclippy
05-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone! I don't think I'll be able to run much (if at all) this week -- I had a couple warts on my toe frozen off, and pressing on it hurts! :lol: Hopefully I can get back into it in a few days, before I go to get them frozen again next week. :p

Keep up the good work everyone!

ellenuw
05-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Ok, running is actually run/walk/waddle these days, but hey.

Thanks for the laugh I so desperately needed today :rofl:

LeanneM83
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
HI Ladies

Wondering if I can join you all in this thread...

I will be running my first race on May 28th.YAY!! 10km, and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!

I am 26, Stay at home mom of 3. Ages 4, 22 months and 8 months....I have been back running now for about 7 months and jus had my longest and best run on Monday...I ran 10km in 68 1/2 minutes...which is a HUUUUGE improvement from my previous best of 74 minutes...

Leanne

skinnyjeans
05-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Welcome Leanne. Looks like the running is paying off for you. Good luck on your first race that if very exciting.

Ilene
05-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Leanne fellow Ontarian :wave: WELCOME!!! I'm in Eastern Ontario ...

Arizona Sunset
05-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Another newbie here. I was wondering if you might mind if I join this 'cool runners' thread.

Right now I am walking about 30.4 (or so) mpw (just walking)
Then I run 1/2 of a mile every day. (or at least try.)

I am new to running and can't wait to get started!!

:D

God Bless

LeanneM83
05-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Ilene- gotta love Eastern Ontario, sometimes with this weather here feels like WAY UP NORTH ONTARIO...lol...

Leanne

Ilene
05-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Hey Arizona :wave: WELCOME... Keep up the gradual work and in no time you'll be running a 5K...

Leanne -- I ran my first 10k in 1:08 a couple of weeks ago :D... It was sooo much fun...The adrenaline keeps you going...

MrsDawsondn
05-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi I wondering if I could check in on this thread? I am run/jogging about 1.6 miles in the mornings (i just started being able to run a complete mile without keeling over LOL) and wanted to check in because I'm trying to train my body to do the whole run comfortably in the mornings. This thread is motivational by far. As you can see I weigh alot and I'm trying to get this weight down and yes running a mile is an awesome accomplishment for someone my size but I want this to be the tool to alot of the weight coming off.

Ilene
05-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Welcome MrsDawson :wave:... I see that you've lost a good chunk of your weight already :high: , keep up the great work and keep running that'll definitely melt the fat away...

LeanneM83
05-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Yes, running has always worked for me at literally melting the fat away...I have to run today, I am trying to take it easier on my runs for the next week, I am afraid of over training and therefore not be 100% for my race, but I used to dread running in front of people, I live on an army base so there are a lot of "buff army guys" here. It used to intimidate me to run in front of them now it motivates me. My hubby is a natural athlete and runs too and he'll be doing his first race too after mine. SO it is one of those "sports" that works for everyone, can be done everywhere and gives awesome results...when I say I "ran my butt off" I really mean it....lol

Leanne
SW 204 (9 months preg) Sept 21/05
SW 190 (lost 14lbs with delivery/baby) Sept 25/05
CW 121.6
GW 121-124, but where I am comfortable..

Only Me
05-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Good morning all! It's a beautiful spring morning here and I was out the door at 6am, ran 9k, and was home and drinking coffee by 7am. A great start to the day.

wndranne, I admire you for just leaving your house when it's 100F. Any time we get close to that sort of temp (only for a few days at most in July) all I want to do is sit in a pool all day and drink diet coke. Of course, not having air conditioning except in the car doesn't help. I've been known to go to the mall just for the a/c. And I love the run/walk/waddle image.

paperclippy, hope your toes are feeling better by now!

leanne, welcome! Good luck on your upcoming race. I have to admire anyone who can run 10k 8 months after having a baby (and back at your goal weight already too!). I think my youngest was about 8 months when I started attempting to run and it was several months later before I was going 10k even occasionally (she's now almost 16 months). I wish running melted off fat for me; it seems that my increased hunger compensates for the extra exercise and I really have to pay attention to what I'm putting in my mouth. Buff army guys must be a nice bonus motivation though.

Welcome Arizona! Keep working at it slowly, and you'll be doing more running than walking before you know it.

Mrs. Dawsondn, welcome. If you can run a mile now, you must have amazing leg strength. Even gaining about 5lbs over the winter/early spring slowed me down a bit.

Anine
05-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Good morning all!

I was supposed to run 20 miles last Sunday, but due to an injury in my hip I only got in 11. That was supposed to be the longest run in my marathon training program, but I had to stop at 11 or I wouldn't have been able to walk this week! Yesterday I ran 25 minutes at marathon pace on a treadmill just to see what my hip would feel like, and it was OK. Probably I'll rest today, and go for a short run outside on Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to run 10 miles or so without too much complaint from my hip on Sunday.

It's so inspirational to see the posts from all you runners, and know that we all face the same problems and can get inspiration from eachother. You guys are great!

Monkeypoodle
05-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi runners -

This weekend we'll be up to 8 miles in the marathon training schedule. Ten is just a couple weeks away. I'm psyched.

I did something to my knee on Tuesday, so I rested Wed and did the stationery bike today. Tomorrow I'm going to bike and hopefully by Sunday the knee will be okay.

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I am terribly prone to blisters. I get them regardless of the shoe I'm wearing (athletic shoes, work shoes, house slippers, sandals, etc.) and the best I've been able to do is use blister bandages. In previous marathons, my feet have ended up quite bloody from blisters.

I've worn the double-socks, tried waxy blister powder, vaseline, Glide, changed socks at the half, but nothing seems to make much difference.

Has anyone had success preventing blisters? What did you do?

Thanks!

paperclippy
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
OnlyMe -- thanks, my toe is feeling much better and I managed to get in some running this week after all (4K Wednesday and a mile today)! I'm going back Tuesday to have it frozen again, so I'd better make Monday's run a good one ;)

This morning I set a new personal record for my timed mile -- 11:27! I'm so excited, 11:30 was the fastest timed mile I ever had in my life (and that was a walking/running mile, not running the whole way, in like 8th grade). Now I just need to figure out how to keep up that same pace for more than just one mile -- I pushed myself because I knew I was only planning one mile instead of 2 or 3, but I was about ready to keel over after that first mile! I even sprinted the last section to try to cut down my time further. I'm so impressed by people who can run a mile in 10 minutes or less. The rest of my workout was weights today!

I hope you all are having good runs this week!

MrsDawsondn
05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
I ran today and I think I did pretty good but there is only one thing for some odd reason I feel like I'm going to run out of energy 1 or 2 meters short of my mile marker so i will speed walk to compensate has anyone ever done that? Also yesterday in stead of running I did my calisthenics and some stairmaster workout for about 15 minutes and squats and combined with the running my inner thighs are just a little sore when I walk. Is this normal? When I first started running i had most of the problems out of my back but as I look back on my pictures and my profile http://public.fotki.com/MrsDawsondn/weightloss_documentary/weightloss_progress.html
I can see that my back went down alot. I hope this means that theses thunder thighs are going down as well. My shoulder blades are a little sore as well but I have been doing a little weight training so that's expected. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks guys

Ilene
05-20-2005, 03:19 PM
MrsDawsondn -- When I go to the link you have in your post I need a password :(...

I haven't run yet today...I hope I have the energy to run later on...I often don't later in the evening. I ran yesterday only 4.2k because that's all I had time for...

MrsDawsondn
05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
oh sorry about that it's winter I forgot it's a password protected album :dunno: what was I thinking?

LeanneM83
05-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Mrs D- Awesome pics....you may think it is not drastic but sometimes we are the last to notice...2 sizes, you should be VERY proud of yourself! GREAT JOB!

Well, today is my day off running...I am trying NOT to overdo it so my legs will be GOOD and STRONG for my race, so up until then it will be a few shorter runs (5km or so).....Busy weekend for me, my inlaws are here putting up a new play-thingy for the kids, it is HHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE....

Happy Friday everyone!

Leanne

blues4miles
05-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Hey gals, I need some advice. I am basically starting from nothing, and don't have plans for any major runs yet, just trying to increase my stamina and all. The other night tested my baseline at being able to jog 3 minutes, then had to alternate 3 minutes of walking and 1 minute of jogging the rest of the way (not sure the distance, will clock it later). Anyways, when I came inside and stopped I got a huge pressure headache. Is that normal for just starting out? Or anything I should watch out for? Thanks!

Ilene
05-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Welcome Blue :wave: ... The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was were you well hydrated during your run, before your run, even for a couple of days before, it makes a heck of a difference. Also if you're dieting you may not be eating enough, up your carbs on the days you run...

MrsDawson, those pis are awesome, I see a very big difference :high: keep up the good work...

MrsDawsondn
05-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys. Today i didn't run I try to split up my running days to gain some energy for some reason I feel as if I'll burn out when I try to run everyday

Ilene
05-21-2005, 06:49 PM
MrsD -- It is a very good idea not to run every single day when you are first starting out, every second day is more than enough...

Today I only did a 5k this morning at 8AM, it's all I wanted to do, it took me 30 mins and I was happy with that...

LeanneM83
05-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Ilene- 5km in 30 minutes, that is AWESOME!! How long have you been running??? I am averaging about 32-33 minutes for 5km....lol, I dont know how fast my short legs can go...hahaha

I have a longer run planned for this morning....it will be my last longer run before my race, I will do a 5km on wednesday, but I do not want to "burn out" or worst of all strain anything...I am soooo eager for next saturday to come around...I finally found out my bib number "5118"

When I started out running...I would just run for as long as I could without stopping, then I would take the van and check the distance I ran and increase my distance a little each time or a lot depending on how I was feeling...my hubby and I have created different routes around the base here for different distances and people call and ask us all the time...."whats your 5km route? whats your 7km route??" it is kind of funny. Although my hubby is an awesome runner and is now up to 18-20km routes...lol, oh well I dont have long long legs like him...hehehe

Happy Weekend EVERYONE...Keep up the running, it REALLY pays OFF

Leanne

Only Me
05-22-2005, 09:36 AM
MrsDawsondn, I see a huge difference between the two pictures. Great work! (And I know what you mean about the thunder thighs; I've come to the conclusion that I'd have to be a stick everywhere else to stop my thighs from rubbing together, so I've given up on that idea.) I think it's better to run every other day when you're starting out. I know my knees are happier with me when I run 3-4 days a week instead of every day.

Paperclippy, congrats on the new one mile PR! I think that's one of the best things about starting to run as an adult--all your PRs are still ahead for you.

Ilene, 5k in 30 minutes, it sounds like you're getting faster!

I skipped a short run yesterday am. It was rainy, windy and miserable and my mood matched the weather. Stupid, because I know I'd have felt better if I'd run even for only 20-30 minutes. After listening to the wind from about 4am onwards, I forced myself out the door around 7am this morning and followed a bike path part way across the north of the city before cutting back down toward home. I'd planned for a slow 16-18km, and did 17.6 in about 1:45, so I guess I accomplished my goals. The wind and hills made my pace all over the place from one km to the next, but the overall average is exactly what my long runs normally are. And now I'm having my usual oatmeal/berries/yogurt and coffee for breakfast.

ellenuw
05-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Mrs D - keep it up - you are doing great. I also agree with the every other day suggestion.

Only Me - you got out and did it! Yay for you!

Ilene - 5K in 30 min? How excellent! I can dream ...

I did somewhere between 5 and 6 miles yesterday in 1:20:17. The course was supposed to be 5 but some of the organizers were saying it was closer to six. Makes me feel better about my 1:20 time. I hope to be at at least a 12 minute mile by the fall. 11 would be awesome and 10 a secret dream ...

Ilene
05-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks guys :D I guess I am getting better, I hadn't even thought of it...

LeanneM83
05-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Yay, I ran 10km today....It took me 65 minutes and 10 seconds, YAY me....I am very happy and will be sore tomorrow, I felt like my legs were going at super speeds but I was NOT going to give up.....so I guess the rest of the week is HILL training ....
Ilene, congrats on getting faster what a wonderful feeling eh?

Take Care everyone!

Leanne

Ilene
05-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Leanne a 65 min 10K :faint: very good... I've been running for a year and a half...

KristinP
05-23-2005, 05:36 AM
Hello All,

I am training to run my first 5K June 19th. I know that I can run 5K without stopping, but I'm not exactly sure how fast.

Leanne, I live on an army base too and I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN about feeling intimidated running in front of people. But, then again the people on base always say hi when you run by them and the 30km/h speed limit on base makes for a safer running place.

MrsDawsondn
05-23-2005, 06:42 AM
I just got back from my morning run and i have reached a milestone. I actually ran for 17:30and I started out running uphill instead of down. Normally I would run for about 9-11 minutes and then run out of energy or endurance. My morning route is about 1.6 miles and it usually take me about 23 minutes to jog/walk the whole thing but today I did it in 22 minutes!! woohoo I feel like doing a rocky dance :lol: But seriously I am soooo happy yall really I am! When i felt like giving up I just kept telling myself, it's just one foot in front of the other you can do this.

MrsDawsondn
05-23-2005, 07:03 AM
You guys are great thanks for the awesome advice.

congrats leannem83 on the 10km in 65 minutes wow I am striving to run faster and that is definitely motivation. I have adopted the exact same of method that you mentioned. Doing the run then getting in my car and tracing the route while clocking the mileage.

Only_me thanks for the advice I appreciate that. I heard someone make a comment about NOT dieting while trying to create a program? Is this correct? I know that I need carbs for energy stores when I run but I have cut out alot of unhealthy foods and such. The reason I ask is because I stopped drinking coffee about 4 months ago for health reason but I've heard alot about runners drinking coffee before or after their race runs or morning runs. Should I be eating clean right now as opposed to allowing some sweet snacks here and there? Oh yeah and congrats for willing yourself out to run even though the weather was terrible and you didn't want to.

Ilene I don't know how your progress was before but your running stats that you have posted are awesome to me as well so I say way to go!

Ellenuw congrats on the 11 minute mile woohoo!! that is great!

ellenuw
05-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Mrs Dawsondn - big hugs and congrats to you, too!! I am not at an 11 minute mile yet, but seriously striving to get there ... There are others a whole lot smarter than me who can help you with the food end. I just try to eat clean and not worry about it too much. I do know low carb makes me cranky.

This morning I ran 4:1 intervals for 30 minutes and feel pretty good. The runners I meet on the bike trail are all smiling and say hello - it is almost like I have joined a special club.

AnneWonders
05-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Mrs Dawsondn - I'm so impressed with your 11 min mile. Congrats. I'm a big believer in having a sweet treat once in a while--keeps a person sane. But there are lots of healthy, or maybe I should say nutrient dense, ways to get carbs too, so it's all a matter of balance. As far as coffee goes, there may be a slight performance enhancing effect of caffeine, so it isn't necessarily bad for a runner without other health issues, but my guess is that the truth is probably that runners are very much like the general population and are just feeding an addiction. Now where is my cup? :)

Ellenw, sounds like you had a great workout this morning. Feels great when that happens doesn't it?

Leanne, congrats on your 10K time. Have fun with hill training.

Spanky, when I started running I was convinced that everyone was staring at me. Now I just don't much care. You won't be intimidated for long--soon you will feel powerful!

Well, all my goals just fell apart this week. It hit 110F here and I just hid. Didn't even do a nice step video in the A/C. I did attempt to ride my bike on my indoor trainer, but a) my hip bones are now too wide for my saddle and it was very painful, and b) the baby is in the way and I coudn't bend over properly to reach the handlebars. Didn't last 15 min. I had a nice big crying fit about it! I'd like to say I'm going to do better this week, but it's going to continue to be 100+ and I have to travel for business the 2nd half of the week and these days it is going to be enough of a challenge just to survive that.

I'm basically going to have to start over from scratch after the baby comes! I'm determined to do that, but so glad I have you guys for inspiration. I was there not long ago, and I'll be there again soon! Sometimes I read the Runner's World preggo thread on their forums, but I have a hard time relating to people who've just graduated from XS to S clothing, whine about how size M running shorts make them look fat in their 2nd trimester, have reduced their mileage only down to 20 mi/week in their 3rd, and their slow jogging PG times are still better than my PRs. Happy for them, and yeah, jealous, but it is so far outside the realm of my experience it just isn't helpful.

Everybody have a great run today! Run an extra couple yards for me--I'm now basically running vicariously through you.

Anne

LeanneM83
05-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Anne- when I was pregnant (all three times) I gained soooooooooooooo much weight....partly because I ate terribly but mostly because I stopped working out....so I was an XL/XXL body trying to run my way to a SMALL....lol, it would have been so much easier if I hadnt stopped, but seeing as I did, after having my daughter I had to start from square 1....1km at a time....

Spanky- are you/or hubby in the army?? where?? I am always wondering what other bases are like, but I guess there are a LOT of differences AND similarities with the military way of life...Congrats on training for a 5km race, that should be LOTS of fun!!!

Alright, I should be taking today off, but thankfully I am not nearly as sore today as I thought I would be...SO, I am going to take my kids out for a rainy day walk!

Happy Monday everyone!
Leanne
CW 121.6