Old 05-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #1  

Default Question from the Big Book

I'm reading the Big Book through for the first time. I jumped around a bit at first, and read probably most of the stories, but now I'm seeing I need to read it start to finish.

Today in my reading in "There is a Solution" I read this about a man who was an alcoholic

Quote:
But this man still lives, and is a free man. He does not need a bodyguard nor is he confined. He can go anywhere on this earth where other from men may go without disaster, provided he remains willing to maintain a certain simple attitude.
I'm confident the rest of the book will give me enough of an answer to hold onto, but does anyone have a clear understanding of what that simple attitude is?

Thanks for your help and thoughts.
CackyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #2  
Steph

CackyDoodle,
This is such a wonderful book. In working with my sponsor and even when I work with my current sponsee's, "There is a Solution" was and is a reading directly connected to a fuller understanding of Step 2.
Step 2
Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

"There is a solution beyond ourselves. This is what sanity is: the ability to see the truth. And if we can see the truth, then we will be free from the problem."(Joe McQ The Steps We Took)

It says on page 28 (4th edition) "(this program is)..a design for living that really works." How awesome is that? In these pages (specifically the first 164), are the answers to all my problems, details on how to take the steps, what to do on a daily basis...how to live life without being driven by this insane and deadly disease.

When reading this chapter, the question that I was asked by my sponsor and the one I ask my sponsee's is this:
"How have your ideas about God and religion changed over the years? The paradox of Step 2 is that the compulsive overeater doesn't have to believe in anything. Action comes first, belief follows. Belief is something other than self, larger than self, as a Higher Poer, (is progress enough to go on to the next step?). They (the sponsee) are urged to let go of old idead and reliance on self. Willingness and an open mind are necessary. Refer to pg 26 in AA 12&12 "Alcoholics Anonymous does no...all you need is an open mind"."

The simple attitude to me, and I only speak for myself, is sanity and clairity which comes from surrendering my will daily (sometimes multiple times) over to God. He guides me to do the next right thing in all of my thoughts and actions for the day, I just have to do the footwork. It took me a while to get to this point, I did a lot of "acting as if" in the beginning.

I hope that this helps you out in your journey through the Big Book!
Blessed and Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Cacky, I can only relate that to something I learned recently from a book I've been reading. It's called, Killing the Buddha.
That is, whatever or whoever your god is, if you think you've "found him/her", you've stopped reaching.
We're never "there". We never actually arrive, and although that sounds huge, it's actually quite simple if we can grasp the notion.

"The idea of "killing the Buddha" comes from a famous Zen line, the context of which is easy to imagine: After years on his cushion, a monk has what he believes is a breakthrough: a glimpse of nirvana, the Buddhamind, the big pay-off. Reporting the experience to his master, however, he is informed that what has happened is par for the course, nothing special, maybe even damaging to his pursuit. And then the master gives the student dismaying advice: If you meet the Buddha, he says, kill him.

Why kill the Buddha? Because the Buddha you meet is not the true Buddha, but an expression of your longing. If this Buddha is not killed he will only stand in your way."
http://www.killingthebuddha.com/manifesto.htm
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote