100 lb. Club - Non-scale victories for May

View Full Version : Non-scale victories for May

Gardenwife
05-14-2005, 02:26 AM
I didn't see a May thread, so I'm starting one. Just had a non-scale victory and wanted to tell you all about it (I know y'all can relate to this "little" stuff).

For the first time in years, I was able to slip my wedding ring off! 'Course, I put it right back ON, but hey. :D

glynne
05-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Way to go Kimberly ~ each of those little things helps keep us going.

DishyFishy
05-14-2005, 05:37 PM
That's great!

I was made up yesterday because I was able to fasten my bra using the next hooks in. :)

Gardenwife
05-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Neat, Ali! I noticed my bras are on smaller hooks now, too. Forgot to mention that one! I'm waiting for the belly fat loss to catch up with the boob loss, though. LOL

kykaree
05-14-2005, 07:22 PM
My big non scale victory this week was my gym instructor, who has been away for a while, bounding up to me and saying how great I looked, and telling me that I had lost heaps of weight and looked so much slimmer. Then he proceeded to give me a heap of weight exercises to do, I told him he was trying to kill me, and he just gave me the kind of sadistic grin only a gym instructor can manage and said in his sweetest voice "would I??" to which I replied very loudly "YES!!!!"

Well done on the rings and bras!!!! I'm in a smaller bra size, a 40D now, which is fab, as there is heaps more choice, and they are cheaper too.

Sea
05-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Of course, that is the first place I always loose, too; too bad I always gain fastest on the hips.

My NSV today was finding my face. I know that sounds kind of weird, but it really changed. I was aware that I had lost some through the face, but just today it really looks more like I did when I was younger. I don't know how to explain, but it is a different face.

Sandi
05-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Very cool you guys. Keep up the good work.

howie6267
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Don't get to used to sliding those rings off. I don't want your husband to start getting worried and find out about us.

DishyFishy
05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Nice going, Sea.

My NSV is that I'm OBESE!! :sumo:

That is, my loss this week takes my BMI out of the "Morbidly Obese" class and into the plain old "Obese" one. :cheer:

SwimGirl
05-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Ali - I love your NSV, I had to giggle.. I can't wait to get to a normal range in weight! I remember being 163 pounds and being told it was too fat based on my height... I suspect this was before they did the whole bone size thingy.

Keep up the great work ladies :)

-Aimee

PeachGirl
05-18-2005, 09:20 AM
My non-scale victory for this month:
I saw my sister in law for the first time since Christmas and she said I was getting skinny :D
She's my favorite now

barbygirl43
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Y'all have some great NSVs going this month. WTG

SuchAPrettyFace
05-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Don't get to used to sliding those rings off. I don't want your husband to start getting worried and find out about us.:rofl: :rofl: :lol3:

Gardenwife
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Peachgirl -- isn't it great when someone notices?? My dream is for someone to just not recognize me at all.

Oh, that Howie's a goofball. ;) We have a running joke...I'll say, "Hey, fella, you come here often?" (this could be at Wal-Mart, the gas station, anywhere).

He grins at me and says, "just to pick up women."

treefrogtoes
05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Everyone has such great NSV's! I'm so proud of you all!!

I have a half of one... I can get on, button AND zip a pair of 22 jeans (non streach!) now if I could only BREATHE!!!!

Also more people from work are noticing that I've lost weight and are commenting on how small I'm getting!

barbygirl43
05-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I know it's doesn't sound like much but for me, at this point, it was a big deal. I made good food choices for dinner yesterday (a McDonald's grilled chicken caesar salad and then an apple and a small bag of chips a couple of hours later), I logged all of my food on fitday (had just over 2100 calories) and I squeezed in my 10 minutes of excercise I'm asking of myself to do daily (of course it was like at 11:48 p.m. last night but I did it!!!)

howie6267
05-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Good for you Dawnyal. It may seem like not much but all the little things we do add up to lost pounds. It's good to see you back at it. I know you can do it.

Gardenwife
05-20-2005, 05:49 PM
That's how good habits are formed, Dawnyal, a step at a time. Good for you!

I maintained this week instead of losing, so I'm really thinking in terms of NSV's to keep me motivated.

kykaree
05-21-2005, 03:06 AM
I'm greedy I've got another one. I had a job interview this week, and wore a blue dress suit (I bought it years ago and it didn't fit around my tummy, but I hung onto it - if I wore a super girdle it was ok) and it fit perfectly. This really cute guy at work said "wow you look so slim in that!!" I alwayslike it when men notice stuff - not because I'm interested, butmen at work have got enormous blinkers on and never notice a thing going on around them, so when a guy says something you know it must be noticeable!!!

Gardenwife
05-21-2005, 03:52 AM
It's so cool that it fit and he noticed! You're right, a compliment from a man is an uplifter.

I had a NSV tonight when I decided to put on one of our full chef's aprons before I dug in and made some salsa. I was able to wrap the apron's ties around my back and around to the front again! There wasn't enough slack to tie very much of a bow, not if I wanted to breathe, but that's the first time I recall ever being able to double the ties around like that.

I felt like a FoodTV host as I diced my peppers and onions, LOL! :chef:

kykaree
05-21-2005, 04:56 AM
I think you should have your own cooking and gardening show Kimberley, I would watch it!!!!

Breathing is optional!!! I bought a great swimsuit the other day, but it has lots of structuring around the tummy, it looks fab, and swims like a dream, as long as breathing is kept to a minimum!!!!

Reaferg
05-21-2005, 01:06 PM
All of you guys have great nsv, so here's mine...
My brother-in-law told me "You look like you lost some weight". While I had been working out I could'nt see anything. And I hate the scale and it hates me, so I try not to get on but once every two weeks.(Good luck with that.) As for now I'm taking what I can get, and trying to have fun on the journey.

YP1
05-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Yay. My Grandmother asked me if I'd lost weight yesterday. :dance:

Gardenwife
05-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Breathing is optional? LOL!! Rea & YP1, great to hear others noticed your efforts!

I had a NSV yesterday when moving some furniture from a neighbor's home (she'd given us a couple things). My dad got ahead of me with the dolly and I ran across the street and up the little hill to our front door. It felt good to run, and it didn't leave me *too* out of breath. While I was jogging across the street, I could feel my legs were stronger than before, and the fact that I was able to do it without huffing and puffing for ten minutes afterward.

Jenaya
05-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Great NSV. I have a "warm fuzzy" one... my little four year hugged me and said "Mommy, you are getting smaller". Even if it isn't necessarily true, it sure felt great!!!

Vegan Vixen
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Great NSV. I have a "warm fuzzy" one... my little four year hugged me and said "Mommy, you are getting smaller". Even if it isn't necessarily true, it sure felt great!!!

^^ That is soooo cute!

I LOVE when my daughter noices that I'm "getting healthier", as we like to call it :p Yesterday, she put her arms around my waist to give me a squeeze and in a big shocked-type reaction, dropped her arms and exclaimed :"Mommy! You're waist is getting sooo small! I can fit my arms around you so easily!" (she's a natural-born actress, mind you, and has really over-the-top responses to everything ;) ) and then grabbed my waist again for a long hug...Oh, that was a sweet moment!

Gardenwife
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Awww, that had to make your days! :)

A few weeks back, maybe a month ago, I was standing at our sink doing something when my mother-in-law put her hands on my hips and shook me, saying "look at how skinny that butt's getting!". LOL!

barbygirl43
05-23-2005, 01:35 PM
You all have some great NSVs for the month.

We had our Relay for Life on Friday/Saturday. One of the games was to play musical chairs. They played it with a twist and when the music stopped you had to run to someone and grab whatever item the caller hollered out. The next round you had to return it. I managed to hang in there for over 5 rounds before losing. Not too shabby for my fat butt and I even beat out a couple of kids. :D

DishyFishy
05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
What a great boost to have other people recognise your efforts. Congrats everyone! :)

YP1
05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Yay, someone else. My boss noticed today. She's off on maternity leave so I haven't seen her for a while. She's also possibly more aware of it because she lost a load of weight a while back. Strangely enough while I was off work with a broken ankle and I didn't see her for a while then came back and she was thinner.

My other victory is kind of a scale victory but still noteworthy. I'm going on holiday tomorrow and the weight I've lost would be heavier than my luggage. I'm standing there picking up my suitcase and imagining having to carry it round all week in the heat. Puts it into perspective!

Jenaya
05-24-2005, 12:06 AM
YP1 - I love it, what a great reframe. Glad you don't have to haul that "luggage" around on your new you! Have a great time and enjoy your hot new work-in-progress body.
Kykaree - you never fail to give me a good giggle. Hope the breathing is alright and you are not as blue as the water. Glad your new blue suit (favorite shade this week?) fits and you are getting the raving regards from the boys at work. Particularly if they are the kind of guys who would not take note of you previously if you walked in with a full-body cast. So you KNOW you are hot when they are taking note of the outfits! Even though it feels like a wolf whistle from a brother - ewwww!! Oh well, enjoy the spirit of it and the fact that you looking awesome! Kimberly, we are all coming to yours for the salsa, yummmm. I enjoyed your NSV stories, joyful uplifts from MIL, how nice! Fatvegan - glad your little actress is noting your healthier ways. They are just such little darlings. We made fruit kabobs tonight because the four year old wanted to cook supper (I could go for this, hope she likes dishes too!). She made a new and creative dessert - watermelon, strawberries, bananas and grapes on a bamboo scewer. No, not FoodTV but it feels like a NSV when my children choose this over other things that I would have gone for as a kid (ie chocolate anything!).

Good week to all!

teapotdynamo
05-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Great NSVs, all! I have one to share, too. Mine is that I was able to fit my troublesome lower half into *SIZE 14s* at a "normal sizes" store twice now -- both a little black dress, which I bought (naturellement! ;)) and a pair of jeans, which didn't look so great -- BUT THEY FIT!!!! I was so excited I nearly cried.

I tell you, I've been waiting for this moment for a long time now. I will always resent most plus-size clothing makers for assuming those of us with a few extra pounds want to look matronly. True, they've gotten better over the years, but it really is a disgusting assumption on their part. Why wouldn't we want to be fashionable like everyone else, not hide ourselves in shapeless tunic tops and grandma prints? Even the names of the brands are sometimes condescending -- I once refused to buy something because the label was "Positive Attitude." :lol:

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I really was thrilled.

Jenaya
05-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Yay!!! Way to go Jennifer. I am with you on the plus size matronly clothes. I am looking for a dress to wear for my brothers wedding and all I can find is the granny looking stuff. I am not into looking like a window fashion and goodness - no round collar neck lines - V neck would suffice. Have the designers not been watching "What not to wear" - obviously not, people who have round shape faces need lower necklines and heh - the girls may as well get a little air too. Floral prints don't assist a big bottom but lovely flowing colours in a straight line style help. I can hardly wait to get to the point where I can shop in a "Normal" store with normal sizes - I haven't been able to do that since I was 16. Sad, isn't it? Anyway, look forward not back. Good for you. I bet you look awesome in that little black number and I would bet the jeans look great too! Thanks for sharing. Have fun...

barbygirl43
05-24-2005, 01:32 PM
That is awesome Jennifer. I'm sure I'm going to have the same problems when I get there.

zoritsa
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Reading all of these posts is awesome! Keep up the good work :bravo:

Mine was this morning when I was finally able to put on a pair of size 16 jeans and not have to lay on the bed to zip them up :cp:

SuchAPrettyFace
05-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Congrats everyone!!

I was one of the skinniest girls there @ a bachelorette I went to on Saturday night. What a switch that was! :lol:

Reaferg
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I Don't quite know the feeling of being the skinniest preson in the room Prettyface. But I being the best dressed yes I know that one. It's a good feeling to know your 100 lbs over weight and can still look good in your cloths.
The stores I shop at for clothes are for big girls so there very fashionable. (ie. Ashley Stwards and sometimes Rainbow or Fashion Bug Plus)

Jenaya
05-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi Rea,

Thanks for the tip on where you shop. Do you know if they also sell online or catalogue? Or does anyone else know of any good stores with lovely clothes that sell online? I am Canadian but want to look at all options on this darn dress I need for the wedding. I better get cracking too, the wedding is in five weeks so if I am going to order I should do it soon.

Any tips will help!

Thanks,

Sea
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
New victory for me. My blood pressure was only 105/66. That is the lowest it has been in 10 years or more! (While this may be low for some, it used to be a norm for me; I ran low until I got really fat.) This is more than 20 points lower, systolic, than anything I had run in the last year.

Also, I actually ran some on the treadmill this morning. For about 3 minutes I was running at 3.8 mph (Yeah, I'm short.) And I didn't have to suddenly end the workout because of it, either. Emotional high. I needed that.

angelinoh
05-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Love reading everyone's NSV's :bravo:

Mine is my daughter(7) and I have been saying we'd walk all the way down the road (3.5 mi. walk total) and we finally made it, we've walked 4 times and each time made 1-2 miles before turning back because it was getting dark or caus we were tired. We plan on walking several times a week :^: was going to tonight but ended up not getting home til late.

Gardenwife
05-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Wow, you guys rock! I'm nowhere near being able to really jog, so walking is my thing. Monday I walked at the YMCA's indoor track for a half hour and could have gone more if we'd not been pressed for time.

The last couple days I've noticed I have a lot more endurance in yard work than I used to; it's easier to get up and down from my gardening seat (a 5-gallon bucket, turned upside-down) and I am not nearly as sore as I would have been last year at this time.

Amanda Panda
05-26-2005, 12:12 PM
Congrats to all on your (wierd) and wonderful NSV's!!

I have a few to update you on.... I've gone down in bra size and top size and my trousers are falling off me because I am just on the cusp of going down to the next size, but not quite - they fit on the waist and hips but not on my big fat thighs!

Also I am very proud of myself (and very stiff) because yesterday I successfully completed my first 'spinning' class! It was as much a psychological success as a physical one as I was so nervous about going and making a fool of myself and the biggest hurdle was plucking up the courage to go (I've just joined a gym and I am one of the biggest people there). But I did it and even though I was the only fat person in the class and it was done in front of a big mirror and I could see all my fat bits wobbling, and I couldn't do the cycling standing up bit as it is too much for my knees, I DID IT and I felt absolutely great afterwards!! It was an intermediate class which lasted 45 minutes and all the way through I was thinking 'this is a mistake, I shouldn't be here!' - but then I heard those four magic words 'only 5 minutes left' and all was well with the world again! I proved to myself that I can do things when I push myself - and even though my thighs are really stiff today, I'm really looking forward to the next class!

Love Amanda x

Jillegal
05-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Great NSV's for the month of May - Good job on shrinking those boobs and butts, walking away the pounds, spinning like a top, lowering blood pressure, zipping up jeans, not dressing like grannies, having noticeable weight loss, beating children at musical chairs, getting "all around" hugs from your kiddies, proving you can eat at McDonald's and still make good choices, becoming obese instead of morbidly obsese, tying those apron strings around twice, finding your cheekbones, and discovering your wedding ring is loose (and I guess cheating on your hubby with your hubby is a NSV too) ;)

Wow, I can hardly wait to see what you'll come up with for June! :D

treefrogtoes
05-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Bought and am currently wearing a pair of 22 jeans!!! Not too shabby for squeezing into 28's in december!!!

Jillegal
05-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I was walking the dog last night when I heard a car draw up behind me - the driver honked the horn, opened the window and said "Nice ***" as he drove by! Okay, it was "only" George coming home from work ...but I liked it! :cool:

angelinoh
05-28-2005, 07:46 PM
had to share this, last month my mom gave me a pair of jeans she had bought but were too big for her. They are a sz. 19 Juniors stretch Jeans, i tried them on then and the didn't fit so i put them in my jeans stash in the 20's pile..lol..so today after i did my weigh in and and measurements(do every 2 weeks and was down .5 in my hips and .5 in thighs) i decided to try on my 20's pile to see how close i am to them and the 20's didn't fit but the 19 juniors did :D they are a little tight but they fit :lol:

Sea
05-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Way to go, Angel!!!

Sea
05-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Non Scale Victory to end month on a good note. Yesterday I stopped by Wal-mart and on a whim decided to try on some pants. My waist is still too big, but my legs and rear are slimming. Though they were elastic waist, I was able to wear not only the 16's, but the 14's!!! Haven't done that in more than a decade. Talk about renewed motivation!

treefrogtoes
05-31-2005, 02:03 PM
I roller bladed!!

have not even LOOKED at my roller blades in over 7 years! I went 2.5 miles in the morning yesterday and another 1.5 miles last night! I don't remember it ever being SO FUN!!!

barbygirl43
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
WTG Sea on the pants.

Sara--what fun. Enjoy the blading. :)

I managed to stay 100% OP for the last day of the month. :D