Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:47 PM   #1  

Default Vela smooth for cellulite!

Have any of you seen the info on velasmooth. Its a technique of getting rid of cellulite and looks amazing!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

What is it? one of those rolling, pinching skin things? or a massage technique? I watched a show on FITTV called "10 years younger" where they change people's lifestyles to promote health and bring out youth, this one woman had lost weight, but had a saggy tummy (not very much extra skin but noticable), there was a massage therapist who worked wonders with her skin....
Old 05-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #3  

No its like laser combined with other massage techniques.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

looks like my steamer for the clothes at my shop....I'd doubt if it would really work. I never buy those before and after pics anyway. I can smooth out my skin to look like the after shots on the computer in about a minute.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:21 PM   #5  

I saw it on the news..it was pretty amazing. They showed before and afters and I believe it! Cant wait for it to come near me!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #6  
5yrs later/70 lbs thinner

Actually you can have that done here in Dallas - I know two people who did and are quite happy with the results. You can google the name Lipolite which is a combo of Velasmooth and the laser.

Not for everyone, but interesting.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just looks like a variation of Endermologie to me.

According to the site, it's not been FDA approved so is unavailable in the US, but I imagine the people in Dallas or whereever just smuggled it in from out of the country.

I just did a brief Google search, and the little I've found suggests to me that this is VERY similar to Endermologie in that it's very expensive and to keep whatever results you get, you have to keep coming back for 'touch ups'. $$$$ Cha CHING.

Quote:
VelaSmooth Cellulite Treatment - VelaSmooth by Syneron is a new effective treatment for cellulite. Velasmooth uses deep penetrating radio frequency energy combined with more superficially active infrared energy to stimulate fat cell metabolism reducing the size of the fat cells and eliminating cellulite. The VelaSmooth device gently kneads the affected area and applies pulsating suction to improve local circulation, encouraging lymphatic drainage and elimination of fat by products. The suction acts to stretch fibrous bands that cause dimples resulting in a smoothing out of cellulite. Patients can resume normal activity immediately following treatment. It is effective for all skin types. So far, clinical studies have consistently demonstrated up to a 50% reduction in the appearence of cellulite with the added benefit of lost inches.

Q: How much does a VelaSmooth anti-cellulite treatment cost?
A: Treatments are priced according to surface area. The average thigh or buttock cellulite treatment will run about $1,500-2,000 for 10 treatments. VelaSmooth cellulite treatments are sold in packages because multiple treatments are required for best results.

Q: How many treatments do I need?
A: Patients will require a minimum of ten treatments to achieve optimal results. Intermittent follow up treatments are then suggested to maintain results.

Q: Does VelaSmooth hurt?
A: No, the gentle vacuum action of the VelaSmooth is actually quite soothing and is akin to a deep tissue massage. There is a sensation of heat and kneading that patients find quite tolerable.
I'm having a tough time finding nonbiased reviews of this product - mostly what I've found are testimonials copied from the company web site, salons and such offering the service, and press releases from the company (on sites such as PRweb.com). It was also featured in the National Enquirer - apparently that's the main reason for all the excitement...

I have yet to find anyone comparing this to Endermologie though...maybe they don't WANT to make the comparision, but damn, just from reading the few things I've read so far it doesn't sound all that different to me. Just more expensive!
Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #8  

I think that I'm always going to have some cellulite, even if/when I get down to my goal weight. But that's okay with me. I don't need to look perfect or anything.

I cannot see paying thousands of dollars for any vanity procedure. I know, I'm pretty cheap.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #9  
prepare for the BEST time

I'm one of those strange people that has very little cellulite.....but i have tiny blue veins around my knees.....to remove them is a simple saline injection done by a plastic surgeon or vascular doc....the price is $600. per leg and fairly permanent....(cheap by comparison)
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #10  

I heard it was much better than Endermologie..and you after 10 treatments you go only once a month..Thats like gettng a haircut. Ok off to buy stock in the company!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:36 AM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcharm
I heard it was much better than Endermologie..and you after 10 treatments you go only once a month..Thats like gettng a haircut. Ok off to buy stock in the company!
You might want to read the quote again. "a MINUMUM of ten treatments". Not just 10 treatments. And the information out there is from the company or a representative of the company (e.g. a place offering the procedure). Nothing unbiased.

So like I said...sounds WAY similar to Endermologie.

Check this quote out:

Quote:
An Endermologie™ session take about 30 to 45 minutes and has been described as feeling like a rigorous massage, Some patients who are new to Endermologie™ may experience discomfort as the initial dense fatty areas are loosened. However, the machines do have several settings which can be adjusted to fit your comfort level. Some patients may even fall asleep. You are "required" to drink a normal to substantial amount of water during the course of your treatments. This allows your body to "flush toxins" and promotes hydration which is essential for skin health.

Endermologie™ also reduces body measurements and many patients report having lost several inches in their treatment area. Changes can usually be seen within 4 to 5 treatments however many patients report significant results after 8 to 10 and even up to 12 sessions. During the FDA clinicals (trials, studies, etc.), patients were required to have 2 treatments a week for a period of 10 weeks. Many of these patients, of course, saw improvement within the first 2-3 weeks. However, packages are usually bought in sets of 8 to 10. Some patients may need more, some less - it truly is individual. Individual treatment sessions are more pricey (from $75. to $200.US) in the long run than packages bought in advance. Packages are usually the best economically but paying that much up front for a procedure you are skeptical of is a hard choice to make.

Just remember that with all things comes maintenance and Endermologie™ results are NOT permanent. Patients must return for treatments between once a month or once every few months, or for as needed to keep the smooth appearance of their skin. So expect this to be a lifelong thing is cellulite is an issue not easily "beat" by diet and exercise.
Similar - price and the maintenance factor. Those $75 and up touchups can really add up...and I bet that the results vary widely among people - some people get great results and others get nada...
Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #12  

If you want a good explanation about the nature of cellulite, check out this article on cellulite creams at CosmeticsCop.com: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=55. Paula has an article on the same site about the bogusness Endermologie: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/ar...FER=SKIN&ID=90.

So, while they don't address your question about this particular technique, this information should help you evaluate it.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #13  

Well I bought it..200 shares and its gone up $10 a share so I guess alot of other people like the stock too!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #14  

Default I've had the Vela Smooth treatment. It's called VelaSmooth where I live.

And, yes... it does work!

I was skeptical... Heck, I'm skeptical about most anything that comes out on the market these days. I was worried it was just a smoke and mirrors thing... you know? But it wasn't. And it was affordable. I think some places charge a lot more than what I had to pay. Anyway, I couldn't get rid of that surface jiggle and the lumpy stuff on the top. And I didn't want to go under the knife, and, besides... I couldn't afford the cost of liposuction. Eeeks!

I love the way I look now. I'm not perfect...but who is? But I'm smoother, lump-free and I didn't have to get cut up or have stitches. I'm a very happy girl!
Closed Thread