Support Groups - We are udderly ridiculous in the merry merry month of Cows

Cowpernia
05-12-2005, 06:56 PM
How's that? Two good ideas are better than one anyday.

Bagzz
05-12-2005, 07:35 PM
i was wokkin in the pawk one daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the mewwy mewwy month of maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay---- i was taken by ser-prise by a pair of golden thighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssssss----or somethin'----didn't bugs bunny {that wascalwee wabbit} sing that???

Bagzz
05-12-2005, 07:36 PM
i hate to bring up such a terrible thing but I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT EVIL PIG IN ILLINOIS WHO MURDERED HIS OWN DAUGHTER AND HER LITTLE FRIEND--------THAT IS ALL OVER OUR NEWS------HAVE YOU HEARD THIS HORRIBLE STORY------ i don't know how to process this one---it's unbelievable-------sorry to bring up such a miserable event but i just cannot believe such a thing.pure evil.

Wabby
05-12-2005, 08:14 PM
That's why I hate to watch the news any more. Are ppl sicker or do we just hear about it more?

Somebody needs to come here and cheer us up. I need someone to come and tell me that I really can lose this weight and keep it off for more than 6 months. I'm back to my starting weight on my tracker thingie. Now that the "procedure" is behind me I can start working on it big time. Also I can now get off birth control pills so the weight should just melt away, right????

Maybe if I got a pedicure I'd feel like a new woman....

Bagzz
05-12-2005, 10:33 PM
wabbbbbaaaaaaitttttttttt--------i mean wabby!!! glad you are back and at em so to speak----I NEED YOU TO READ"FRENCH WOMEN DON'T GET FAT " WITH ME---kiwonk is reading it and hasn't passsed in her book report yet---------so far i kind of like it;;;;;;;;

PainterWoman
05-12-2005, 11:42 PM
I think we definitely hear more about gruesome things than in the past. I am not sure whether they actually HAPPEN more often. (Remember Lizzie Borden! -- I think things had to be REALLY big to catch history's attention in the past. On the other hand, there's more opportunity for interpersonal stress now just because people are closer to eachother... i.e., more friction.

I had a mammogram today. The procedure wasn't scary, but the results were.
Will be back tomorrow for needle biopsy. Radiologist opined that lumpectomy and radiation were likely. She (!) also said I don't have to rearrange my vacation -- and that she predicted my lump (she NEVER said the "C" word... don't think she ever said tumor, for that matter) was totally "curable."

DH is a peach. Let me sniffle, took me to dinner, will take me tomorrow AND financed a new batch of books from Borders.

Will keep you posted. Your happy thoughts are welcome.

Kiwonk
05-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I haven't gotten any further in the French Ho book. Oops I mean the French Women book. I tried to buy leeks today to make leek soup and there wasn't a single leek in my grocery store. :no: I am stymied before I start.

So I'm eating Fritos instead. Actually they are making me sick, so I'm not eating any more. I do need to go get a clean water glass. This one tastes like fish. I made broiled salmon, garlic potatoes, and raw veggies for dinner tonight. And my waterglass still smells like salmon. Blah.

Spent an hour or 2 this evening over at the high school gym helping decorate for the prom! It's quite the big production; there were a couple dozen people there, about half kids/half parents. They are going to continue tomorrow during school. Let's see; I believe that will bring the grand total for this week to 1-1/2 actual school days for DD. Monday she missed part of the day to go perform for AARP, Tuesday she spent 4 hours in AP Chem exam and was dismissed from school afterwards, Wednesday they had a day-long drunk driving prevention program complete with faked accident scene and funeral, today she went to school all day but she watched Ghostbusters during Chemistry (her teacher said it was an after AP exam tradition), and tomorrow she will probably spend the whole day decorating the gym. Our tax dollars at work. It sounds like she's a senior already, doesn't it?

DD has a cold and I think I have it too. I thought it was allergies, but I'm so exhausted even though I'm getting scads of sleep.

Wabby, congrats on pulling through the "procedure" so well. Get outside and do some walking every day--gardening is good, but not all that aerobic!

I managed to get a walk in while in Charleston, but I haven't done anything since. Bad me. The other day while I was in Othertown with DD, I stopped by this person's house who has dogs of my favorite persuasion -- and she had a new puppy!! It was so adorable and fluffy. That puts her dog pack at 3. And I don't have any. Kiwi wants doggy! Below is a pic of one of her dogs when he was a pup.

Kiwi

Kiwonk
05-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Painty!! Oh dear, I hope it all works out okay. How scary! I have a mammo in a week (finally; I hate to tell you how long I put that off). Good luck with the thing tomorrow. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

Kiwi

SugP
05-13-2005, 04:32 AM
Painty!!! Lots of hugs for you. I'm sure everything will be just fine. Didn't you say you've had some iffy results in the past? My doctor hasn't ordered me to have a mammo yet but I suppose I'll have to some time. My mum has had issues with lumps and such but not the big C.

Wabby! They lie - if you go off BC the weight DOESN'T drop off! You get even crankier and even fatter. Just ask me how I know. Or did they remove some delicate bits from your gorgeous person that will prevent you from ever getting PMS again? Cheer up, it's spring and you can get back to walking! I hear Leslie calling.

I'll just mention that I'm 4 POUNDS OVER my starting ticker weight this week and that is truly awful since I'm the SAME weight I was at when I was 41 weeks pregnant with ds9. I'm so ashamed. Did enough whining last night so this morning I got up and did Leslie like you wouldn't believe. Now I'm drinking half a litre of water. It's 9:20 a.m. and I'm finished my exericise for the day!! Go me! Why can't I do that every day???

Kiwi - I will send you some leeks! :D It's green onions you can't always get here - leeks are all over the place. Our neighbour foisted 3 kg of white asparagus on me yesterday and along with the usual boiling it up and eating it with butter, I want to try making a low fat cream of asparagus soup today. It's white asparagus season here now so people go nuts over it. I prefer the green but who am I to argue with the Germans?

There are SO MANY pigs here who kill children or do god knows what else to them. One father killed his two children and himself the other day and there's a serial child killer on trial now for the sexual abuse and brutal murder of at least two little children, possibly 6 more which he hasn't admitted to yet. The guy is married with two kids of his own and a mom who swears that her darling son would never do anything like that. He's going to get life in prison for sure but even that's too good for him. That kind of thing just disgusts me. You can hardly watch the news any more.

Hi Peachy and Bagzie, you skinny things, you.

Cowpernia
05-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Painty, I will pray for you. I do that a lot these days (pray). Keep us close.

The current New Yorker magazine has a full-page cartoon with the caption "France's Secret Shame .. the round up of fat women." It shows a police wagon with fat women being herded toward it. Unfortunately, DS is now studying the holocaust in school and it brings that to mind for me.here it is (http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_details.asp?mscssid=7E6KMVWUVG7M9H5LMBHHVE 9TG9500439&sitetype=1&did=4&sid=120907&whichpage=2&sortBy=popular&keyword=french+women&section=cartoons)

Speaking of praying once more, DS and I have been attending (on and off) a church that I've heard bad things about. That's 3 different stories about how anti-other-people-in-the-community they are. In my experience there, I can't see any of this so I made an appointment with the minister and asked him. He explained everything so openly and seemed very sane. Remember that preacher who wouldn't let me join his church? This one said, "We'd like you to become a member of our church." How nice. I told him the other story about how the preacher wanted to know the moment I knew I was saved. This one said, "I love my mother and father but I don't remember the minute I started loving them." Since then, all this God stuff has been floating up in my mind. Old questions, conceptions, doubts, confusions, etc. I need to go talk to a preacher again and the thing is, I could easily go to a different one .. ones I know or don't know .. but I don't know if I could go back to this one because he was just so nice. I would be confused on whether I wanted to talk to him about religious issues or because I just liked talking to him. That doesn't make any sense does it?

French women don't get fat because they walk everywhere. What does the book say?

I read a while back that 9 out of 10 children who are murdered are murdered by their moms or their moms' boyfriends with the moms doing nothing to protect the child. The other 1 out of 10 is murdered by someone who is not the dad. I figured that dads don't have the stress of caring for kids that moms have but I don't know. It is certainly shocking what these people are doing. I remember that guy recently, Sugar, who was pimping his little grandchildren. I think he was French. He was quoted as saying, "My children, I don't love them." Well, obviously.

What books did DH buy you, Painty?

Kiwonk
05-13-2005, 08:58 AM
It's white asparagus season here now so people go nuts over it. I prefer the green but who am I to argue with the Germans?Ja. You vill eat the white asparagus and you vill like it, ja?

Your latest preacher discovery sounds quite reasonable and intelligent, Peachy. Can't hurt to talk to him about your thoughts and concerns, eh?

Speaking of churches, the church where DH and I got married put up one these signs where they put dopey slogans and sayings and change them regularly. I enjoyed making fun of them on my diaryland site. That was a couple of years ago. Then they got a new minister--a woman, who is married to this big guy with a head full of dreads (she's white, he's black)--and ever since the church sign hasn't been funny at all. Now it says either very boring things or genuinely disturbing things, vague references to kingdoms and whatnot. I disapprove. I preferred the screamingly funny ones that were occasionally accidental double entendres. Nothing like coming around the corner and seeing a whacky inspirational saying to make a person drive erratically.

I wish I knew why my cursor is now vibrating like a demented gnat.

Kiwi

Cherry Cow
05-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi! It's the end of the semester, so I can check in for the next three weeks! I even got an ad-free subscription to convince me to check in when I can.

Painty, I hope your doctor is very brisk and efficient and scares your lump into submission.

Sugar P-- yep... ya don't argue with the Germans!

Hi Lush, Kiwi, Peaches, Bagz, Wabby... after I post this, I will catch up on old threads. Grad school takes a lot more time than I expected!!! I'm so far behind!

I've joined weight watchers online. Because the program works if I just get my rebellious hiney to stick to it. Unfortunately, this month I broke 200 and hit my highest weight ever. Remember when I used to be thin?

SugP
05-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Cherry!!!! Excellent that you'll have time to hang around here a bit. We miss you. You're our Motivator in Chief. I've gained so much weight lately that it's not even funny and I NEED to do something about it.

Peachy - yeah, that makes total sense. What if you went to several different preachers to see how they addressed your questions, doubts etc. and then looked at what kind of a feeling you got?

Ja. You vill eat the white asparagus and you vill like it, ja?

Ja wohl, Fräulein Kiwi! :D Spent an hour this afternoon peeling the darned things.

Must get to bed at a decent hour. Makes me less cranky.

Cowpernia
05-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I was just talking to a friend whose DD married a preacher. She cries all the time and he apolgozies all the time for putting her in the position of living in a glass house. Now, I feel guilty talking to any of them. durn hard job.

Cowpernia
05-13-2005, 09:56 PM
Cherry Cow, tell me how much you think stringers make at newspapers.

Cherry Cow
05-14-2005, 01:21 AM
I think stringers make about 20-100 dollars a story... but my guess is based on very old information. I knew a guy who did three summaries a day, five days a week, and made 800 dollars a month...

PainterWoman
05-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Welcome back Cherry!

Unitarians had interesting signs for their churches. I think you can get them on google. I hate the doom, gloom and satan/rapture ones. I just got this article forwarded for those of you interested in DaVinci code and other catholic sponsored conspiracies.
It's Matthew Fox's response to being kicked off "Hardball." (http://mycatholicnetwork.com/spiritus/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=39)

The biopsy was a breeze. No more news until next week.
I think that since this isn't life threateming in the next few days, I am going to succumb to cleaning.

I've been to too many "unattended deaths" where the person died and LEFT A REAL MESS. I can understand that happening if you had NO warning. Under my circumstances, there's no @#$%ing excuse! Well, at least clear of flat survaces, and do the laundry.

I certainly haven't had much of an appetite.

Hope all are well.

Here are my climbing mermaids.

Cowpernia
05-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Painty !!! In view of all YOU'RE going through, it's remarkable that you made ME laugh!1 Clear off the flat surfaces... HAHAHAHAHAHA.. It's like Harold and Maude.

I am depressed though. I did not get the job I wanted. I may have shared that. Sob sob sob. Blah

Lush
05-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Hi Darlings,
Oh Painty, I hope everything is ok. My boobs look like tic-tac-toe boards from the era of surgical biopsies. I know the needle ones are supposed to be better, but I think they're worse. They hurt more and the idea of the needle wipes me out.
I'm glad to know this is not life threatening, but the stress is still awful. I admire you for venting your anxiety into cleaning.
DD was gorgeous at the prom. Her dress was white and strapless. Her date was a red-headed boy.
Peachie, sorry about the job. Another, better job is in the wings. Finding a church is so hard, mostly because whatever people claim to be is usually exactly what they are not. I hope this one is nice, nice, nice.
I'm off to the grocery store. I have actually GAINED weight since I started my thing that you see below my message. Oh well.

Cowpernia
05-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Lush-tiny-font-person, I sent out pictures of DS in his Tux and I would send them to you and Cherry too if I had your email addresses. Mine is new and I don't have old data.

I would not mind seeing your gorgeous DD. I have seen Bagzette and Kiwizette. They both wore lime sherbet dresses.

Thank you for your kind words on the job. I am waiting for Plan B to materialize. There is no point in saying you (I) believe in God if you are not going to put your faith and trust there.

I have gained weight too. All of us have I think.

Kiwonk
05-14-2005, 01:15 PM
DD was gorgeous at the prom. Her dress was white and strapless. Her date was a red-headed boy. We want pictures!!!

I think those trackers are jinxed. That's why mine doesn't reflect my weight. In fact it's pretty much meaningless. When I put up a weight one, the first thing I did was gain a few pounds.

Darling Peachcow, Kiwiette did not wear lime. She hasn't gone to the prom yet -- it is in 7 hours, and her dress is red. That's all right, you are mourning the d*** job, I'll let it slide this time.

Yesterday at 3:30, DD went to take a nap after decorating the gym all morning (you know, instead of school--who needs school?). I got my little bitty travel steamer going and tried steaming the wrap/scarf thing from her dress to make sure it was going to work. About 15 minutes later, the power went out. I sat and stared at it (the lack of power. In fact I glared at it) for a while and it didn't come back on, so I reported the outage. I waited a little longer and finally went to bed for a nap figuring I'd get up when the power came back on. It didn't. DH brought home pizza and we sat in the living room staring at each other trying to decide how long this damn outage was going to last. At 7:30 we decided it wasn't going to end and DD and I both needed showers (we don't have running water when we have no power), so we started calling relatives. Took the prom dress with us with the steamer, and made DH come too, because I didn't want to keep my in-laws up till all hours steaming the thing, so he was going to let us into his office and we would do it there. So we took showers at the MIL's and by the time we were done and checked our answering machine, we found that the power was back on, so we went home and started steaming the big red thing. Took over an hour, but it's gorgeous and pretty nicely wrinkle free. Friday the 13th indeed.

Painty, you have a great attitude. I wholeheartedly approve of attacking something like your house when there's nothing you can do about the test results but wait. Your climbing mermaids are very artistic.

Cherry, glad to see you back! Did you know that Cookie stopped by for a few days a couple of weeks ago? Remember her? She was in favor of thong underwear... How's the family doing?

My head is a block of congestion. Now DH is feeling sick too. I just hope DD doesn't feel lousy at the prom.

This is my first experience with a prom (no, I didn't go to mine--I avoided them out of a combination of rebelliousness and a dearth of age-appropriate dates). DD is going to a friend's house afterwards with about a dozen kids and hanging out and watching movies. The kids she hangs with now are so trustworthy, I'm not even worried. However I feel obligated to attempt to worry. I'm thinking she doesn't need a curfew tonight. What did you all do with your darlings' on prom night?

Kiwi the Unclear

Bagzz
05-14-2005, 06:37 PM
DON'T GET ME STARTED ON PROM NIGHT!!!!---I WAS A WRECK!!! around here they stay out ALL night long USUALLY at a beach and do crazy things like SWIM----last year dd's prom night ---they took a ferry boat to an ISLAND that has no way to get off of it til the next day unless someone has a BOAT---which some idiot did have---i BEGGED,PLEADED AND ORDERED ----PLEASE DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET ON ANY BOAT WITH A BUNCH OF DRUNK TEENAGERS----- she thought i was a little "excessive" in my demands but agreed to stay on the island-------------of course they were all drinking and whatnot so I HATE PROM NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!----other dd went "camping" on prom night---around here they stay at the Prom for about an HOUR with their five hundred dollar dresses and then take off to party in their jeans--------DIDN'T I SAY "DON'T GET ME STARTED ON PROM NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" this backwoods town! :mad: :mad: soooo Painty!!! i must agree with the others---you are dealing with this very well---besides---there is no proof that this is not just a benign spot ,right?? needless to say,i was "called back" on a mammogram three years ago and things turned out to be okay BUT i haven't been back since---they scared the be-jeezers out of me and i ran scared and still won't try it again!!!!-----health sucks.we will say all the prayer type utterings we are capable of in this crazy world! i am bothered that God decided to visit earth several thousand years ago and expects us to figure it all out based on that one little stopover----i think he should stop by again and refresh our memories-----THERE ARE TOO MANY MESSENGERS AND NOT ENOUGH CLARITY FOR ME TO FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!! peachy can find out for us and report back!----KIWONK AND LUSHBAG WE WANT PROM PHOTOS!!!!HURRY THE **** UP.ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND SUGAR SUGAR-----we all know that hangin around here causes weight gain----SO IT'S A GOOD THING CHERRY IS BACK!!!!! CHERRY---YOU WERE ALWAYS THE MOTIVATOR SO YOUR FATIHFUL SERVANTS AWAIT THEIR ORDERS-------------GOOD FAT CARTOON PEACH!!! :lol: :lol:

PainterWoman
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Oh, Baggz, thank you so much for yelling. I feel better!
Cowie--- I am SO sorry about the job disappointment. Keep writing your writerly stuff.

One think I have discovered is that when I'm stressed, I can't type!
I w.i.l.l. concentrate on my s.p.e.l.l.i.n.g!!

Oh, Kiwi-- I agree with you about prom. If your kids are generally reliable, they'll be "generally" reliable on prom night. I had become generally unreliable for mine (1968 for crying out loud.) It was at the Ambassador hotel the week after RFK was assassanated there.... My bf was allowed to borrow my father's Cadillac instead of us going in HIS dad's beat up stationwagon. There was dinner AT the hotel, and we danced some... then we went to a party at a kids house (bless his parents).... I don't think there was even drinking... though I'm sure there was weed in the far back yard. My parents had almost grounded me from prom because they'd discovered we were, um... sexually active... so that night? there was no real interest... Too scary for me.

My son and daughter (within the past 8 years) went to prom in groups... fancy dinner, then rock and rolling at SouthFork (!)... then heading for a friends house... I think there were all night videos/games/movies and a big morning breakfast.... Neither of them were drinkers then....

I do think the extra lecture on designated drivers is worth it! There was a fatality from DD's HS her sophomore year at homecoming...(Captain of the drill team killed while in the car of her drunk bf, who'd graduated and been captain of the football team....) it impacted us all SO much that everyone I know had a designated driver or didn't drink.

Well, that's glum.
I hope everybody wakes up happy in the morning.

Glad to hear from those of you who've been awol!

Bagzz
05-14-2005, 11:33 PM
peachy!! i forgot to say DUCK HUDDA on the arses who did not hire you---this would mean that something better MUST come along because that is how we are chooosing to think right now-----in a few years your DS will be so wealthy from his brain power that we will all be envying your lavish lifestyle-------or herbie will kick the bucket and you will produce his NEWLY revised will that he just happens to have dropped off at your house-----let's get working on that shall we!----------PAINTY---you sound great!!i am reading a book called Garbo Laughs and the main character just had a biopsy and it was benign----i am calling her Painty. xoxoxoxo cow cow

Kiwonk
05-15-2005, 01:20 AM
What fat cartoon? Did I miss it?

I really hope these kids stay at the prom for a few hours at least! Although on our way home from the "Grand March" (good lord, does any other place on the planet do this?), there were 4 cars peeling out in front of us on the lake road -- I daresay they were "supposed" to be at the prom. The kids looked so great, and they are all so sweet. DD's date came to pick her up about 20 minutes after she arrived home from the BBQ at his house -- honestly, they are funny. It took her another 20-30 minutes to get ready, so DH amused the date by coming down the stairs with his shotgun under his arm. To his credit, the kid laughed.

So anyway, the "Grand March" -- I never heard of this before I moved here. All the parents, and really anyone else who's interested gather at the h.s. gym 30 minutes ahead of time and cram into the bleachers on one side. They line everyone up outside the doors and announce each couple, who walk in on a formal path and end up in front of the crowd where a professional photographer takes a quick shot and parents shoot photos as well. Then they announce the queen/king/prince/princess/court et al, thank all the advisors and parents who helped out and encourage the spectators to leave. At least 15 minutes later they finally start the dancing. How odd is that? When I first heard of it, I thought it was insane -- why would the kids stand for this? But of course now that my kid is out there, I was front and center...

Get this -- the advisors are giving out a $100 cash prize at the end of the night to be awarded to one of the couples who is still there with the person they came with. :lol: Cute, huh?

I'll send out a few pics in a mo.

Kiwi

Cherry Cow
05-15-2005, 03:51 AM
Kiwi, one of my schools did a Grand March type of thing, but the other school bused us to Prom and didn't want a bunch of parents driving there. (Parking was extremely limited.)

I can't wait to see pictures!

Bagzz
05-15-2005, 08:46 AM
kiwonk!!! we have the GRAND MARCH here with the couple coming in under the canopy of flowers----you have described the event that takes here to a tee as well!!!! the difference it----no king or queen thing,but the first dance of the evening---the girls dance with their dads and the boys with their moms!!!! and THEN the parents leave---up until then it's all about parents and kids and photos and marching and what not---but seriously---they only stay atthe dance for an hour---that makes me boillllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Kiwonk
05-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Well, I'd love to tell you how the prom went -- But she's still in bed!!!!!!!!! I'm threatening to make her get up, but after all, I did say she didn't have a curfew. She rolled in about 3:30 am.

Interesting how different prom customs are. I know in a lot of cities, they rent a ballroom -- of course you know where they are usually located: in HOTELS! Now there's a bad idea if I ever heard of one, eh? I love the parent dance idea, Bagz. DD would just die. :lol:

Gotta go get those pics loaded.

Kiwi

Bagzz
05-15-2005, 02:53 PM
DARLING--YOU JUST HIT ON ANOTHER "CUSTOM"=== the dances here are held in HOTEL ballrooms as well!!!! the kids are too poor to rent hotel rooms so they just shack up in Tents on various and sundry islands .poor souls.

DixieAmazon
05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Painty! Hope your results are and negative.

Kiwonk
05-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Who wants peectures?

Cherry Cow
05-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Me me me! I want peectures!

So I'm doing good at the WW thing this first week... down four pounds. But when I check the community there... I just ask myself, what's wrong with these people?

At least the plan works.

Wabby
05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Cherry! way to go w/ the 4 lbs. off!

I too, am at or slightly above what my weight ticker thingie says. Should I change it? nah. I went to bunco on Saturday and noticed that all my bunco compatriots are also overweight. We've all gained since we started the group. There was only one person there at her ideal weight and she was only a substitute player. Maybe it has something to do with our bunco snacks. We were discussing what the fate of the hostess would be if she didn't serve dessert, or heaven forbid, served fruit for dessert. It wouldn't be pretty.

I don't know what the prom customs are around here, thankthelord. My nephew and his girlfriend told me that they had gone to her prom Saturday night. They had her mom babysit their baby. What is wrong with this picture???

Peachez, don't worry, your other perfect job is still out there. Sorry you were disappointed, though.

Painty, I love you. I'm sure I'd start to clean house too if I was ruminating on my own mortality. I'd be soooo embarrassed if anyone had to clean up after me. For sure I'd clean out my underwear drawer. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you until you get the all clear from your doc.

I've worked my fingers to the bone in the yard this past weekend. Too bad nothing else gets worked to the bone.

My Lucas the golden retriever is sick. He hasn't been eating or drinking since friday, so he's at the vet today. After ex-rays and blood tests they've decided he's not in any immediate danger so they're sending him home w/ some thingie under his skin to hydrate him and some medicine to make him pass anything that may be blocking him up internally and probably a huge vet bill to go with it all. I really started to worry about him when he didn't want to eat his dog biscuit. He'll kill for one of those things usually.

I got an invitation to my youngest brother's wedding. He's 45 and marrying for the first time.

PainterWoman
05-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Wabbs-- thanks for revealing your "old" brother's impending wedding date. I have several women friends of similar age, who whether previously married or not, doesn't believe that any single guys of an appropriate age exist... who aren't completely "ruined" by previous marriages or their mother. I see plenty of young married couples who SHOULD have waited until they were "more mature"... and it might take them until they're 45!

I am procrastinating. Need to do business newsletter. Or laundry for vacation. Or something. Even draw. I'd rather just surf the net though. DH will be preoccupied for at least another 36 minutes because he's watching 24!

My friend (http://www.tamarahancon.com) is going to e-mail me her Chinese Doctor's anti-cancer plan. I am afraid it involves way too many vegetables and NO sugar, fats, chocolate, dairy, diet Coke or iced tea. which is pretty much my usual diet. But in spite of all the years when depression made dying seem like a great solution, I am NOT READY TO GO. I want to see grandbabies... Heck, I want to see my kids marry. (Though I wouldn't mind that much if it were in the 'wrong' order!). I'm hoping my DD will start dating guys rather than pining over her first big love, a perfectly nice but bland woman who went to college on a lacrosse scholarship... or maybe it was soccer. Anyway, she was uber athletic and didn't understand the painter-family knitting thing at all!

If the price of diet Coke slides you'll know it's because I'm not drinking it anymore.

Ciao.

DixieAmazon
05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Painty, I just had diet Coke made with Splenda. Yum!

I am going to be gone Thurs. thru Fri. My Stepfather died so I am headed up to Little Rock, AR.

Kiwonk
05-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear that, Cookie. Have a safe trip.

I still have a cold. It sux. My mom is having knee replacement surgery this afternoon. She called last night and I was so stuffed up and preoccupied I didn't realize that it was one of those calls that I was supposed to make to wish her good luck today. Bad daughter. But being my mom, she just told me to wish her luck :lol: so no harm no foul...

Wabby, I hope your doggie will be okay.

I thought about joining the online WW, Cherry. I wouldn't be able to stand a bunch of twittering nutjobs though, if that's the sort of people who are on there. I know what I should really do is join the local WW, but I can't bring myself to. :shrug:

Later gators
Kiwi

Cherry Cow
05-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Kiwi-- I can't stand the boards there (they're free), but WW online has neat menu ideas and the points tracker and weight tracker. Just for the handholding over menu ideas, it's worth it. I can't make it to meetings here, although they were good. Now that I've done the online thing, I'm hooked.

Cookie, have a safe trip!

Wabby, I hope your doggie gets better.

Painty, that diet sounds interesting. I'm cutting back the sugar slowly, as I lose points for losing weight. I've gone from 26 points to 24 points, and I'll have to drop to 22 in a few months.

I exercised today. Yay!

Bagzz
05-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Cherry ---i believe you LIKE excercising---do you still do the Tarts tapes??? once in a while i think about pulling one out to do some weights--------WHERE IS PEACHERS???? STRANGE THAT SHE IS NOT HERE>>>............. WHAT'S UP???? sorry about your loss Cookie-----hope all goes well.sorry about your cold too kiwonk----------this is a gloomy spring up here in canada---all rain and gray days and cool-------------how's the weather down in America???? :dizzy: :dizzy:

Bagzz
05-17-2005, 10:07 PM
peaches is not on page three---tell her to get the **** back here.

Cowpernia
05-17-2005, 11:41 PM
I am boycotting page 3 because I have been called names like posteraamus which I had to cut and paste as it's unspellable and cruel.

First, I must say I'm sorry to read all the struggles we're going through these days. I am not sharing mine. You already know about my butt and how I must get a booth when I eat out so I can take up one entire side. You already know that I am boring.

Well, here's something you don't know. I have the chance to write as a stringer for this newspaper. They will give me Planters Roasted Salted Fatty Peanuts in exchange for hours and hours of work. Well, one day, anos ago, I accompanied Herbie to an annual dinner of men who had worked on a specific airplane project that lasted decades. I pitched this idea to the editor, she liked it and I asked Herbie if I could meet with some of those men.

His reaction was to say it would make a GREAT story and I could make a series out of it.

A series? This man is intolerably bossy and egocentric.

On the religious front, I have been mellowing. I have felt a softening of my spirit, which is to say for those who need this explained that I have felt content and uncomplainy. In fact, as soon as I find myself criticizing someone, I feel a brittling of the spirit. But it is all complex and whatever there is outside our physical senses, we are certainly not in control of it and can't pin it down.

I will continue this sermon at a later time. For now, let me remind you that school is out on Monday. Bye. posteraamus

Cowpernia
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
somebody check out the fitday software that's reviewed on a link from the fron 3FC page and tell us what we think of it.

Cherry Cow
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
I have the Fitday software. It's good. But I like ww online better. The Fitday database is very small, so most of the time, I have to enter information for whatever I eat.

Kiwonk
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
I will continue this sermon at a later time. For now, let me remind you that school is out on Monday. Bye. posteraamusARE YOU KIDDING ME? Insane. School here goes until June 14th. Even in NC, they go into June. Oh well.

Mellowing is good.

As you know, Bagz, the weather here is the same as the weather there.

I'm thinking of rejoining the ACLU because of this (http://dailynews.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050516/ap_on_re_us/abstinence_suit) . I'm wholeheartedly in favor of teenaged abstinence, but if my taxes are going to fund religious conversion, that is just vile and wrong and I am going to fight it tooth and nail. DD read the article and was most disturbed at the idea that they separate the kids into "religious" and "secular" groups -- how damaging is that?

Apparently I am not mellowing.

Kiwi, seeing red

Bagzz
05-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Poor unmellow Kiwonk----- "Jesus --protect me from your followers" works for me!!!----DOESN'T THE WEATHER SUCK AROUND HERE!!!!!-----try this on for size-----school lets out on June 28th!!!!! however we don't go back til the day after Labour Day-------------------PEACHES GOT RELIGION!!!!! let's see if we can tempt her back to the fold of heathen-esque cowdom!!!!!--------[ i really do like Jesus,i just have SO much trouble with some of his "friends"-------------]PTL!!!! gotta go to glass me *** class---later cowpies.---ps-----PAINTY--HOW ARE YOU DOING????

SugP
05-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Get this - here school is out on JULY 13 and starts again AUGUST 24!! Beat that. Pthhhhhp!

My biology student will be here any minute. Must go into smart mode and pretend I know what I'm doing. I know a big word: arabidopsis thaliana. Ten points to anyone who can tell me what it is.

Kiwonk
05-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Judging from your sig, is it a ladybug or dragonfly? I must say it rolls off the tongue. I have nothing to say. I have a mammogram tomorrow. I need to order something or other for my mom who is recovering from knee surgery. I have no brain.

Kiwi

Bagzz
05-19-2005, 05:21 PM
i have nothing to say either but i will say this------------OUR WEATHER IS DRIVING ME TO DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EARLIER THAN USUAL---OH YEAH---AND THE OC SEASON FINALE IS TONIGHT---YAY

Kiwonk
05-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Yay. DD and I saw an ad for that earlier tonight and she said "oh, who died?" and I said "the old guy". And she said "you mean Peter Gallagher?" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAgggggggggghh NO YOU LITTLE TWERP, HE'S THE SAME AGE AS I AM! Boy does she know how to push my buttons.

Kiwi

SugP
05-20-2005, 03:12 AM
No one here is old! We are all spring chickens! I heard that babies born today stand a good chance of living to be 100.

Arabidopsis thaliana, which I'd never heard of until the arrival of above mentioned biology student, is commonly know as thale cress (never heard of that either) and is a model plant for genome work and the most widely used plant in molecular biology (I had to look that up!). Aren't you completely thrilled?

I'm so boring/bored today that that's all I can think of to post for now. I MAY even go exercise.

Wabby
05-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Gone for 2 days and I come back to this melancholy. Hmm. We do seem to be on a roll. Geez, Sugar, I can't think of anything interesting to post either. Guess I'm just not that interesting.

Bagz, our weather is horrible too. Days and days of rain and gray. Tiny little sunbreaks in between downpours. The weatherman has been promising a sunny weekend for the last week, but now that we're down to the line they've changed the forecast from sunny and warm to cold and rainy again. On one of my days off I went to the Schreiner's Iris Farm (www.schreinersgardens.com) to see their display garden. Thank goodness I wore boots because the lawns had turned into mudholes. Poor little old ladies were slogging thru the mud with their walkers. At least the rain quit long enough for me to walk the gardens and be inspired. Then I took a trip to Adelman's Peony Gardens (www.peonyparadise.com) and drooled at al the beautiful and expensive peonys. I bought one $32 plant. Don't tell DH. Of course, I could always tell him plants are cheaper than jewelry.

A Mellow Peach? Unheard of!!! How did that happen? I think working as a stringer would be something nice on a resume and could lead to Other Things.

Gotta go catch up on some work. Hiya to all the rest of youz cows.

Wabby
05-20-2005, 07:57 PM
OK. I'm leaving now.

I left work on my lunch hour. It was sunny and warm. I left my roof open on my car when I got back to work. As I was gazing out the window at the huge thunderstorm, complete w/ lightening, thunder and buckets of rain I realized my car was getting flooded. I hate it when I'm dumb.

OK. I really am leaving now. Youz have a nice weekend. I hope the sun shines on you wherever you may be.

Kiwonk
05-21-2005, 11:27 AM
As I was gazing out the window at the huge thunderstorm, complete w/ lightening, thunder and buckets of rain I realized my car was getting flooded. OOOPS!!!! I did that once on a beautiful sunny winter day -- and it snowed that night. DH got stuck with shovelling it out--BIG OOPS!!

Well, I actually couldn't sleep in this morning. Much. So I'm hanging out here slugging coffee back. Maybe later I'll get going on that mess we call a lawn -- seems like I should clean up the dead limbs and stuff before the grass grows over it....

Y'all have a good weekend, y'hear?

Kiwi

SugP
05-23-2005, 02:52 AM
Kiwi has dead limbs on her lawn???? Eeeeeeeeeeew.

No time to post. Must go downtown and buy stuff. More later.

P.S. My pants are too tight.

Kiwonk
05-23-2005, 03:56 AM
LOL :lol:

Bagzz
05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh---the weather is terrible all over northern us and canada-----rain RAIN rain rainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn i hattttttttttttttttte it---------and colllllllllllllllld to go with it---------------------

Kiwonk
05-23-2005, 03:46 PM
More rain here. Roof started leaking again. We thought we had solved that problem. So now I have an ugly tarp over part of my roof and buckets in the kitchen. Onward and upward...

On a positive note, the kid did rawther well on her SATs. I really can't complain. :woo:

Oo! New smilies -- :barf: and :listen:

Kiwi

Wabby
05-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Kiwi---- that darn roof! Of course DD did well on her SAT's - I could have told you she would.

My car story got worse - when I left work to go home last friday I turned the key in my car and...... nothing. Apparently my car doesn't like buckets of rain being dumped on the console and dash. Up to that point I hadn't shared my mishap w/ DH, but I had to let him in on it when my car wouldn't start. I love the man. The veins on his neck kind of popped out a little but he didn't rant or rave even a little bit. He took apart the console and dried it out w/ a hairdryer, but still nothing. Then he finally got it to start, but it wouldn't shift out of park. When I'd finally given up and called my insurance company and a tow truck my car magically started behaving normally again. I still might have to have the radio replaced because there is water in the lcd display, but I'm going to give it a week or so and see if it dries out. And DH didn't say "what were you thinking???" even once.

It rained all weekend. I gave up and went out and slogged thru the mud in my yard anyway. Now it's sunny because it's a work day. :dz:

Kiwonk
05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Yikes, I guess getting a half a foot of snow through the sunroof wasn't such a bad thing after all!!!

We saw 2 moose on the way home from Othertown this evening. DD usually drives on the way home and she has been the one encountering all these critters, as earlier in the afternoon, when I'm driving, they are less likely to be wandering across the road apparently. It's good practice for her. I barely shriek anymore.....

How's everyone? Awfully quiet around here.

Kiwi

SugP
05-24-2005, 05:51 AM
It's good practice for her. I barely shriek anymore.....

Kiwi

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, where is everyone? I for one am preparing to turn 42 tomorrow. Dh is actually cooking dinner and we're getting away with the in-laws only coming over for dinner. Yahoo. I bought myself a really cute way too expensive tea set yesterday as an early birthday present. It has strawberries on it. And bees.

Kiwonk
05-24-2005, 04:18 PM
I for one am preparing to turn 42 tomorrow. Dh is actually cooking dinner and we're getting away with the in-laws only coming over for dinner. Yahoo. I bought myself a really cute way too expensive tea set yesterday as an early birthday present. It has strawberries on it. And bees.Woohoo, good for you!! That's how a birthday should go -- you get yourself a present you love and someone else cooks dinner!

I hope you have a very lovely birthday! :hb: You don't look a day over 30! :balloons:

I't's a beautiful sunny day here today; nice after several days of rain. I've already made a salad for dinner. I should go outside and do something!! :hyper:

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-25-2005, 09:13 AM
I had no idea you were all posting. Apparently, I forgot to click on one of the email notifications so I didn't further updates. Will read later and reply. Right now, I have to get over the idea we were boycotting.

Wabby
05-25-2005, 01:29 PM
:hb: :cb: Happy Birthday Sugar!!!! 42 is a verrrry good age. I hope you enjoy every moment of it!!!! I'll have a cuppa tea in honor of your tea set. It will be iced tea because we finally have summer weather!!!!! Hope the sun is shining on you on your b-day too.

Kiwi, do you ever have moose moseying into town like in that tv show Northern Exposure? There was a black bear in the news last week because he was hanging around one of the suburbs here. He didn't look ferocious, just hungry.

I have a splitting headache. Got. to. go. find. drugs.

Kiwonk
05-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Boycotting? Nobody tol' me. :shrug: You know I post here almost every day because I haven't anyone else to talk to.

I think I heard of a moose wandering through a neighborhood in town a few years ago, and I know it has happened in a few much larger towns/cities in Maine. It's definitely not common, because the wildlife around here has plenty of wilderness to live in; it's not suffering from crowding at all. Since my house is surrounded by woods and lake, we do get some "traffic" through our yard now and then. Lots of fox use our yard for a thoroughfare and now and then I see moose tracks in the driveway. Once I saw one only a few feet into the woods beside our yard. The other day I scared a white-tail deer when I came out the door. It was next to the driveway in the woods; all I saw was a bouncing white butt crashing into the woods.

Here's what I'm not doing: :strong: :jig: :wl: :tread: :workout: :kickcan: :goodscale :barf:
Here's what I am doing: :yawn: :coffee: :cbg: :cookie: :chef: :jeno: :chin: :soap: :chicken: :cheese: :burger: :chockiss: :comp: :corn: :hun: :crazy: :eating2:

:lol:

Kiwi

Cherry Cow
05-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Happy Birthday Sugar Plum!

Cowpernia
05-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Happy birthday teensy tinnnsy Sugar Plum. I am envisioning a balloon for you. And some dancing middle-aged men.

Bagzz
05-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Sugar!!! Blow Out Those Candles And Party Like It' S Perfect 1999 Hahahah-----wish I Was Forty Two Again!!!! Remember I Said That!!!!----i Am Forty Eight And Pushin Fifffffteeeeeeeeeee---------------enjoy Your "early" Forties!!! Love Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

Kiwonk
05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
HEY! I only have 6 months left in my 40s, so this is getting serious. Speaking of which, did we miss the fact that Lush turned 50 last year???? She must have been ignoring us at the time.

Anyway, how was DH's cooking, Sug?

My mom is at home after her knee operation and a week of ortho rehab hospital. I talked to her last night, and she is doing very well. Now and then while we were talking I could hear her sort of drifting away and getting vague (she's on pain meds, of course). It was amusing.

Gotta go make some dinner for the kid, who's got her spring concert tonight.

Kiwi

Bagzz
05-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Yah!!! spring concert!!! come back with the details!! some spring around here---feels like the Amazon Rain Forest without the heat,

Wabby
05-26-2005, 08:23 PM
We bypassed spring and went straight to summer. It's 91 degrees here today. That would be almost 33 degrees to you celsius ppl. A scorcher as the old folks say, and since I'm getting there, I'll say it too. :cool:

We're leaving a day early for the holiday weekend and going w/ some friends to a lake to do some fishing (DH), some basking in the sun and eating mass quantities of junk food (me). They have one of those party barges. It's my kind of boat - a bathroom, a kitchen, sundeck and couches so I can take a nap when I'm sleepy. I can't wait to break out the Mike's hard lemonade!!!!! I don't plan on thinking about my fat arse once the whole weekend. As Scarlet says "I'll think about that tomorrow." ;)

Kiwi, hope your Mom recovers well and that DD has fun at the spring concert.

I'm almost giddy with the thought of a 4 day weekend!!! See yas cows when I get back!

PS - Hey! I just realized I haven't updated you on my sick dog. I took him to the vet because he didn't eat and drank very little for 3 days. He wasn't his usually spazzy self. He didn't want to pick up every sock left in the floor. He didn't take off your hand when you fed him a dog biscuit. He didn't even want to eat a dog biscuit. The vet x-rayed him and did blood tests and poked and prodded him and when I went to pick him up he was back to his old spazzy self and I had a $220 vet bill. There was nothing wrong with him that they could determine and I think they thought I was a little nutz because he was acting just fine. Damn dog.

SugP
05-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Thank you for the wonderful birthday wishes, darlings. This year's b'day was very nice and I was showered with gifts, flowers and attention. Waaaay too much food. Will report on that later. We are in the middle of completely renovating ds9's bedroom (he chose this colour :p for his walls! Wee!) and it's all I can do to keep from murdering dh. I think I'll let him live a little longer though since *someone* has to bring home the bacon. :lol:

Kiwonk
05-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Howdeee! I couldn't get on here at all earlier. Hope you have (or had, as you won't read this until next week) a good weekend, Wabbit! Glad the dog is okay; that was really mean of him to fake it like that.

Gifts, flowers and attention. Very impressive. I like the paint color -- he must have a highly developed artistic sense.

Bagz, the concert was lovely. The band did 4 numbers sort of sea-related. They always sound much better in the spring than they did at Christmas. DD had a lot of oboe parts, which she did beautifully on (she's the only one playing oboe, and she just started last fall). She also played the clarinet, and sometimes had to switch between the two.

The chorus was fabulous as always. One of the things they always do at the spring concert is have seniors who are interested in it direct a piece of their choosing. One of the band pieces was student directed, and one of the chorus songs was directed by another student. He chose a Phish song called Bouncing Off the Wall. It was really cool. DD had a solo bit in it.

Can't wait till next year -- there will be a whole bunch of kids from DD's class (including her) who will want to direct a piece.

Below is a picture of what we had for dinner tonight. (Along with a very good roast chicken with potatoes)

Kiwi

Kiwonk
05-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Why do people say that someone "gifted" them with something, instead of they "gave" them something? How pretentious. Gifted is an adjective, not a verb, except in the legal sense, meaning to have endowed, or in the sense of "presented", like to gift a library with a special book. Grrrr.

DD and her prom date (still officially just a friend apparently) IM each other in French. Since I do read French, it is not exactly code. I'm trying to decide whether it is a form of flirting or whether they are just irretrievably geeky (they are in the same French class). :lol:

Kiwi

SugP
05-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Mmm...fiddleheads! Haven't had those for ages. Did you pick them yourself?

"Gifted" is a very silly word. Maybe if we ignore it, it will go away.

My university room mate (roommate, roomate??) and I used to write on the message board on our door in really bad French in first year. Must be an 18 yr old thing.

Bagzz
05-28-2005, 09:12 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhh kee wonkers------the concert sounds beautiful and spring-y and nostalgia inducing------------did i mention i was jealous??? thank you for gifting me with that lovely description-----your baby is a true musical personality----and i looooooove her voice that 's for sure!!!! gorgeous---------------i have been eating alot of fiddledee's lately as well----love them too----i gifted myself with several pounds of them last week.i have been overeating lately.Could someone gift me with some good sense.Oh,and glad to hear you were so well gifted on your birthday Sugar!!! love the room colour!!!! xoxoxoxo hahahaha

Kiwonk
05-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Nope, I'm not sure who picked 'em, my MIL bought them from someone she knew, but they were yummy. I already had a big bunch of asparagus in the 'fridge, so we are really hitting the fresh green stuff this weekend! I also bought a quart of strawberries, so our tummies are very happy! I think I could be a vegetarian in late spring/summer, or at least a part-time one!

Kiwi

PainterWoman
05-29-2005, 12:58 AM
We ran into NO moose nor they into us, even though we saw several "moose crossing" signs while in southern Maine. We got to experience three Nor-easters in a row.... They washed out the old folks at the resort... (the geezer types who didn't want to climb stairs to their rooms)... We, who were on floor #3, just listened to the pounding surf.
AND THEN: IT WAS RAINING IN DALLAS WHEN WE GOT BACK. :mad: :lol:
We now have more rain gear than we'll need for 25 years.

Happy Belated BD, Sug.
Hope things are cooler there, Wabby. And glad the dog survived the vet and the vet bill. Critters are sneaky that way.

Do any of you ever check Quizilla.com? I am geeky, even though I don't leave coded messages in french. My Inner personality is French. I have been relegated to the 6th circle of the Inferno... (any body remember if that is 'better" or worse than 1st circle? ) and my Japanese character is "kitty."
Is any of that important, NO!!! Of course not. but I refuse to take much seriously until tuesday when Memorial Day weekend is officially over.

Will stick to business during the week days... meditate. Eat bizarre anti-cancer diet now that I'm no longer "on vacation." :(

Kiwonk
05-29-2005, 12:51 PM
You've already come to Maine and left?:fr: I thought you were doing that in June or something! Oh well, couldn't have hooked up with you this week anyway. Sorry to hear you got so much rain. I'm sure we had sun sometime this spring, but it's been a while. I'm sure it was nice to hang out with your daughter in any case.

Gotta run. Dinner at the i-l's

Kiwi

Bagzz
05-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Welcome home painty!!! we were in Bar Harbour last weekend so i guess three of us were in Maine last week! Cool!!!---we live next door to Maine anyway----backwoods America meets Backwoods Canada!----------KIWONK,I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WEREN'T BAITED BY MY GIFTING COMMENTS---- i was waiting for one of your "slam dunk" comments!!!! hee hee hhs hhs hhs!!!-----;painty---my dad had cancer and went on the "macrobiotic" diet----he lost alot of weight on it,but felt great----lots of brown rice and tomatoes!!---;you must have great produce already down on Southfork!!gotta go clean the dump!

Kiwonk
05-29-2005, 06:59 PM
------KIWONK,I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WEREN'T BAITED BY MY GIFTING COMMENTS-You know why, don't you? I was writing my message at the same time that you posted yours -- I never saw it!!!! :lol: Or should I say "Viola! I never saw it!" hahahasnorksnorksnorkhahaha.

It's a good thing we're so childish, don't you think?

Just came back from the in-laws. Dinner was at 12:30; listening to old paper mill stories went on until I finally got up and started getting ready to go home at 4:30. :rolleyes: Love the FIL, but he can go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Hope everyone has a lovely Memorial Day. Judging from the past 2 weeks, ours will be rainy.

Kiwi

PainterWoman
05-29-2005, 11:32 PM
RAIN RAIN RAIN. Except for the Indy 500, apparently.
DH and I only got as far north as Portland, where I found 2 yarn stores... one was open and the other was closed. We spent a couple of happy hours looking at watercolors and architectural drawings at the Portland Museum of Art. Very nice and well-rounded collection. I loved the down town/arts/civic center area.

I'm not exactly on a macrobiotic diet, but I have switched to the supposed Chinese vegetable mix diet... 6 organic veggies pureed and mixed... 3 tbs before every meal. I must say it rather takes your appetite away. That and some enzyme tablets and "buffered" Vitamin C that are supposed to attack free radicals, digest protein and fat etc. etc. My friend told me it would also improve my hair, skin tone/color and finger nail strength so much that I could go "chase bears with a switch"... if I wanted to. I don't think I do... but it couldn't hurt.

I am in deep grief over a future without Starbucks or chocolate however. But it's now a matter of "Which shall I pick? Pie? or Die?"
L'chaim.
And painting and being of good spirit.
TTY'all soon.

DixieAmazon
05-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Happy belated birthday Sugar! :woo:

Sorry I haven't been around.... again. My life is a soap opera. My stepfather died on the 16th. Had to go up to Little Rock and help my mom (she has early Alzheimer's). I will be going back for another week this coming Sunday.

I met my 2 stepbrothers for the first time. Turns out they were upset the obituary didn't mention their sisters. I said something brilliant like, 'Uh, what sisters?” DSF and my DM never told anyone in my mothers family about the girls, or their mother, his first wife. We always thought his second wife was the mother of the guys. Everyone was really confused.

But wait there's more! At least one of my stepsisters may be planning on contesting the will since he left my DM everything.

I am hoping to wrap up as much paperwork for my DM, get her into a nice assisted living and have an estate sale before school starts in August. Yes, I am dreaming. Yes, I have gained weight. No, I am not changing my sliding thingy.

Kiwonk
05-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh my goodness, what a time you're having, Cookie! Very sorry to hear about your stepfather's passing. Families are so complicated, aren't they?

I can't believe it's 3:00 already. I haven't done anything today except print out some photos. I can easily spend an entire afternoon formatting and printing out a few photos :rolleyes:

CU later
Kiwi

PainterWoman
05-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh, Amazon Cookie-- What a frightful state of affairs. Those stories are always "interesting" when they are in a novel, but so heartrending when they are in real life. How sad for the steps to be ignored or eradicated by anyone... but especially if their dad somehow "encouraged" it... I don't suppose his first (?) wife was so thrilled that you and your sibs arrived, either. And it doesn't even have to be step families. My cousin pretty much got ripped off, I think, by his father who just preferred the daughter/sister. Why is it we can ignore slights and hurts UNTIL it involves money? What a way to "keep score."

And then sometimes the reverse happens. My DS's STEP-MOTHER'S Aunt left him $1000 because she wanted to support his musical dreams. I don't know whether he even ever MET the great Aunt. Maybe she had tons o' money and didn't know where to leave it. (What an interesting predicament to be in)... anyway... I hope to be surprisingly generous more often than I am surprisingly stingy.

I hope that your mother is amenable to your help and that you find a good place where she can be gently cared for.

Here is a photo of what I get to eat three times a day.

Green tea and Chinese Mush. Bad news is the dragon breath that comes with it. Good news? I get to move my slider thingy.

Kiwonk
05-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Whoa, what is that stuff?

Cowpernia
05-30-2005, 08:48 PM
I want to move my slider thingy, too.

Bagzz
05-30-2005, 10:32 PM
IT LOOKS KIND OF GOOD TO ME----I LIKE VEGGIES!! CAN'T YOU JUST EAT THEM INDIVIDUALLY??? my friend who has ca of the colon swears that sugar is poison.Is that what you mean by chocolate denial,painty????she has been reading alot about diet and apparently grapes are really good for some reason.i love grapes---it's so hard to know what to do but eating lots of vegetables is obviously a good thing!!! and the green tea is really catching on.!!!! poor cookie!!! one thing after another---you deserve a few days to yourself just to organize your thoughts!!! xoxoxo to all.

Cowpernia
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
I have got the heebie-jeebies. Some HEP me!!! I'm all anxiety ridden like swiss cheese. Just little crapo. For ejemplo, got two large bills from the hospital for Ds cutting his thumb open. I called them to see why so large after the insurance company paid and learned that I only owe $20-$30 (they're not sure yet) but $250 of all that is for SUTURE REMOVAL which they told us there was charge for!!! Heckaroni. I do not want to be part of charging an insurance company for something there is no charge for.

I like veggies, too. I am eating lots of them. Bye.

Kiwonk
05-31-2005, 04:15 PM
You speakum funny. Did they tell you there was nooo charge for suture removal? Cuz you didn't type a no, so I'm confuzzled. Don't worry about the insurance co., they will be happy to fight their battles with the horspital, but you might give them a heads up that you were told there was no charge. And tell DS to stop cutting his thumb open. Once is enough.

I think I will move my slider. I stopped keeping track when I saw the photo of myself in the dress I had bought with my good behavior money. :barf:

Kiwi

Cowpernia
05-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Dang, that's a purdy dress.

Yes, no cost for suture removal. Free. Unless you get a shot to deaden the pain. He didn't. Free. Bye.

Wabby
05-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Kiwi, you haven't learned the first rule of denial --- no cameras allowed within 50 yards. I, on the otherhand have not been photographed in 5 years, other than shadowy, out of focus shots in which you can't tell where my fat arse ends and the background begins. It's much easier to tell myself things aren't really that bad if I don't have pictures telling me otherwise. It also helps with my age denial thing. It also helps I have a co-operative DH who tells me I'm a hot chick. He's into denial also, as having a hot babe for a wife helps him with his fantasy that he's still a stud muffin.

We had fun, fun, fun at the lake. We gotta do that more often.

Cookie, you've really had a time of it lately, haven't you? I sure hope things settle down for you. It's hard taking care of parents when you have all you can handle with kids.

Painty, I'm sorry, but that doesn't look like either veggies or green tea.

I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and actually start doing my work here. We'll see how long that lasts. Hee. So. You see, I actually have to go do my job. 'bye.

PainterWoman
06-01-2005, 02:41 AM
Cowie.. glad that the bill was reduced and insurance was paid up and available. It is SO frightening to see big bills like that... especially when they charge for things you didn't know existed or that you had used. I hope my hospital doesn't charge by the pound. :devil: I think Kiwi's got the right idea. Let the insurance company run interference for you. They've already gotten the premiums, so let them do something to earn 'em.

Baggz-- I think that pureeing the veggies is supposed to make it so that their amino acids are more available faster/longer than if you eat them whole. It tastes sort of... grassy. I can imagine being at one with a cow. I am not especially looking forward to telling the surgeon all of the alternative/complimentary stuff I'm doing. Because I've really "bought into" it. The ritual, the determination that what I'm doing is making a difference. I certainly like that it allowed me to move my slider!.

I found out that a gay friend of mine who also was a knitter was killed in a single car crash last week. What a shock. Life is precarious. Let's all enjoy what we've got... even though parts are fat and sappy. I'm couting on the technician who said that breast cancer wouldn't be what I die of.... but I don't want to die of "bridge abutment" either. Be careful out there!!

Bagzz
06-01-2005, 07:30 AM
hello silly cows------i have to report that after TWO AND A HALF WEEKS OF RAIN AND NOOOOOOOOO SUN---IT IS NOW SUNNY OUT IN MARITIME CANADA-- i feel like i just came out of a cave----the sun hurts my eyes---------- MY GREENHOUSE WILL BE SO HAPPY-----IT'S BEEN SO GLOOMY IN THERE---I MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO OPEN THE LITTLE WINDOWS!!!----------I AM STILL FLYING HIGH OFF THE SARAH MCLACHLAN CONCERT----SHE IS SOOOOOOOOO GORGEOUS AND HAS A MAGNIFICENT VOICE---anyone here like her------------????????????? gotta go to weeeeeerk-----we are finally starting to get some tourists in the market so that's good for business---I WANT TO BE LIKE PAINT AND COWPERN----------I WANT TO EAT VEGGIES---SOMEONE TELL US A GOOD WAY TO COOK SOME THAT TASTES GREAT---I LIKE TO SAUTE MY ASPARAGUS WITH MUSHROOMS AND OLIVE OIL.BYE.

Cowpernia
06-01-2005, 08:29 AM
I can imagine being at one with a cow.

That is so profound. So mystical. The Zen of Cowness. This means that all of us .. us heifers .. are part of Painty's healing. Let's all meditate to the nothingness of Moo.

Bagzoid, what is wrong with you? You know how to cook veggies. It's not like there's some secret heating source that we know about that you don't. Sauteeing in olive oil is my favorite. Steam a bag of spinach that somebody else washed, then sautee the cooked spinach and some garlic in the olive oil. Very yum. I have never had a fiddlehead. Is it like spinach.

Do you think a bicycle will fit into a Buick? DS has informed me he wants one. I don't even know if he can ride one or not. He had one as a little guy but we lived on a busy hill and he couldn't go out. Steep and cary.

When is Lush going to drop back by?

Kiwonk
06-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm inspired by all your moo-ness. I'm posting a new thread.