Dieting with Obstacles - [b]fibromyalgia #140[/b]

View Full Version : [b]fibromyalgia #140[/b]

MemeToo
05-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Looks like I missed Mima's anniversary, Mother's Day and Tammy's BD. So ... here's a late happy Anniversary, Happy Birthday and glad everyone had a good Mother's Day. We went to Alabama last weekend and no particular excuse for the rest of the week except just busy.

Glad you got home safe, Mima. Candice, sorry you wrecked the car but glad you weren't hurt (nothing except your pride, that is!) ;) Don't you just hate doing stuff like that when your hubby is around? I do. They always act like they are so superior in matters of 'driving' and the like. When, actually, I'm a much better driver than my husband. He takes risks I would never take but, yet, I can get to a destination a lot faster than he can and when I need to ask directions ... I don't hesitate!!! But, too, my sense of direction is much better than his! He's 'messed up' with me several times over the last week or two ... so last night he brought me a dozen roses. Even though I never did say a word to him about anything ... he knew! ;) My kids aren't doing such a hot job lately either and I think he was feeling sorry about that ... but that's another whole book! We also went out to eat for Mother's Day ... had 10 and an hour's wait for a table at O'Charlie's but dinner was pretty good considering the crowd. Kids gave me an hour massage certificate and flowers.

Sometimes I think I don't like the people my children are growing into ... they are both very successful ... but they are changing ... maybe that success is what is changing them, I don't know. I guess I've changed, too, and maybe that scares them a little. I'm not just staying home doing nothing but taking care of their needs anymore. I have a life OUTSIDE of them and I think maybe they resent that. But, what ever it is, there's something different. Especially with my daughter and daughter-in-law. You can almost FEEL it. They say things about my size (I'm a lot smaller than they are) and me looking their age and stuff and about me being so busy all the time. And even about us being gone with our friends a lot. They don't say these things in a nice way, either. It's like they want me to LOOK 60 and stay home. As a matter of fact, my daughter's MD card to me said: "Mom, who ever imagined the day when I'd be the one all stressed out raising a family and you'd be the one out playing and enjoying life?" on the front ... Well of course, I laughed ... what else you gonna do??? I opened the card and on the inside it said: "You know, Mom, It really annoys me when you laugh like that ... Well ... didn't know whether to laugh or cry there for a minute! There was a day when she used to buy me NICE cards for Mother's Day! :p

Mima
05-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey Meme, when people change, the others try to maintain what used to be. Hang in there-they will get used to it and you won't have to do anything. When I go to Fl, my son used to want me to be at his house all the time, but now I am married and Brad and I have a busy life down there, but this tear he seemed to get used to it. Then Brad told me that he said something to him about next year. We want to be independent like we are at home. I do love to be with them but not all the time. Bye for now-went for a walk with Auntie-she was not feeling too well. She is going to be 82. Mima

MemeToo
05-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Mima ... I'm not going to do anything or say anything to them. The less done or said the better. You can't really bring things like that out in the open because that usually just makes them worse. I've found that out the hard way ... with my own mother. She used to treat me really bad and when I'd say something to her about it she'd take a defensive attitude and I'd always be in the wrong ... everything would be MY fault. So ... the less said the better. But, on the other hand, I'm not changing for them, either. My son told me Sunday I needed to EAT more. I looked at my husband and said, would you please tell him that I eat. He just laughed and said oh yeah, she eats pretty good! I really think they want me to be fat again and to have WHITE hair and wrinkles and LOOK like a grandmother. When I walk into my daugher's office and then we go to the cafeteria for lunch (she works at the hospital) I get looks from her coworkers like ... Paula ... is THIS your MOTHER? And I think that bothers her. She'll be 35 next month and my son will be 39 ... my best friend just turned 41 and her parents just moved here from MI and I met them for the first time ... they thought I was same age as my friend ... I'll be 58 a week from Friday. Well, there's nothing I can do about the wrinkles but I'm NOT going to gain the weight back (if I can help it) and I'm not going to let myself go, either.

Sorry ... can't say anything to them so I guess you gals are just getting it all ... I just need to vent. (guess this makes up for me having to read your posts for 30 minutes to catch up ...) :p I'M DONE!

Joanne D
05-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Meme- I guess the kids have to find ways to cope for a change.. My son got married. His new wife took over and he is not leaning on us for a change, He isn't calling or coming around either. I guess we all have got to get used to the change..I miss him sometimes.. but, I don't miss all the extra work I had to deal with to help him..
Mima- When are you going to move down on a more permanent basis? Our kids want to be independant but still try to change the role. They can't have it both ways no matter how old we get.. I try to stay in charge of my life and will as long as possible.
I was outside pruning a tree today. Too much up and down the ladder.. I feel it tonight.Hello everybody.
Back tomorrow.. Joanne

Tammy
05-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Meme, vent all you want here!!! That's what friends are for.

We all change in one way or another. I'm having trouble with Tim's independence that he wants. He just turned 17 in March, but he's planning his future. There's nothing wrong with that, but MY BABY IS GROWING UP!!!

Today was our field trip. I'm pooed out. Lots of walking. We went to Carillon Park in Dayton, OH. It's a historical park. Lots of older buildings, older modes of transportation, and all kinds of neat stuff. One of the Wright Brothers original planes is in this park. The kids were totally amazed by that because we've done alot of talking about them. I'll be glad to get to bed tonight.

17 more days of school.

MemeToo
05-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks, Tammy, but I'm all through venting. (And thanks so much for 'listening')!!! I love my kids and I don't have a problem with them. They are the ones with the problem so I guess they are the ones who will have to figure out what to do about it. My life is pretty full as it is ... too full actually .. without going around making mountains out of what may just be molehills. I'll take the grandkids when I can and let the older ones work out their own little quirks. I learned long ago to let sleeping dogs lie and let the Good Lord take care of the ones that wake up hungry! ;)

Mima
05-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Good meme-Quite a few years ago, I had a different kind of problem with DIL. Never said anything and now she is my new best friend. Having trouble with my daughter because I don't agree with her so I need to back off and be more compassionate BUT I STILL DON'T AGREE WITH HER. Down to the wire on Idol-voted for Vonzell for 45 minutes. Bye for now. Mima Can't move down yet, Joanne. We both work up here and it's really too hot down there and we have 3 kids up here and our friends have all gone home, anyways. But I love it in Florida-We are going through withdrawal!!!

Tammy
05-12-2005, 07:51 PM
I changed my tracker thing under messages the other day. I figured that I needed to change it to show the weight gain and maybe I'd get on the ball and do something about it. I hate it that I've gained, but I know it's my own fault.

Mima, maybe when you move to Florida, I'll join you!!

Mima
05-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Good, Tammy!!! I can show you around!!! Boy, we miss Florida, especially our church. But they send flyers to keep in touch and also e-mail. It's cold again-Brad has a cold-Am I next?
Alison is excited -Vonzell is in town and the kids are hoping she will go to her old high school. That's for you American Idol fans!! Still busy cleaning up and then I go to work next Tues-vet today. Bye for now Mima

MemeToo
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
It's so hot here ... and supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. I'm hurting and have a headache. Waiting on a customer to come pick up a trailer. I hate waiting on people. Can't get a lot done ...

I'm entertaining the idea of entertaining tonight ... just don't feel like getting the house in shape and shopping for food. I don't know when I got so old! Used to ... I could 'spiff' up the house and run to the store in no time. Now it takes me all day! Maybe I'll suggest we all go out to dinner and then come back here and play cards ... that way all I'll have to serve is dessert & coffee and I can pick that up on the way to the restaurant. (Maybe it isn't old age afterall ... maybe it's just laziness! :p

Joanne D
05-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Meme- You are not OLD!! There is no such word. I will be old when I am dead.. We are getting YOUNGER!!! :lol: :lol: The way I feel lately that could be soon. Normal people have colds. I have colds and they go for the lungs..Another few days of setting on my rump may help..My hubby is afraid of catching it so he has gone out in the yard all day and worked. Maybe ,I should stay sick longer so he will get more done. :lol: :lol:
It is hot here and no sign if rain. There is a tropical storm way down south but I am sure we won't get any of it..
Tammy- My weight creeps up and down all the time.. My hubby told me tonight to stop feeding the cold.. I have to get on the scale thursday. I say somewhere that 3000 people move to Florida every year ,I think,I wonder where they go. There is a lot of open land in N/Fl. but not too many are going there..It seems they all want to settle mid/central and down the state.I love N/Fl. and would go there in a min. My hubby won't.He was born here in Tarpon Springs and will never leave.
Mima- It take 5 years for your blood to thin enough to really be comfortable in the heat. Ofcourse that is why we have air conditioners..I can stand the heat but I like my air.. I have lived here all my life..I am the real Florida Cracker.. :lol:
Hello everyone..Have A Great Weekend...Joanne

Tammy
05-13-2005, 10:41 PM
My BIL lives in Tampa. I don't know where we would want to live if we moved down there. My husband lived in Georgia when he was a kid. He lived in Brunswick. We've visited there a couple times, and we really like Jekyll Island. A couple years ago when we were there, I tried to imagine living there when I retire. Bob mentioned it today. Maybe that's where we will end up.

Have any of you been on Flexeril? I take it at bedtime. I started taking it in September. I just found out recently that it can cause weight gain. Has anyone else had that happen? I want to go off of it just to see if I can lose some weight. Maybe I should wait until after school is out though. 14 MORE DAY!!!!!!!!!! lol

MemeToo
05-14-2005, 02:53 AM
Tammy ... I was on that for years. It made me sleepy and I was overweight but I can't say that it was the Flexeril that caused it because I don't know. I know Prednisone got me started up the scale back then ... could be the Flexeril and other similar meds I was on back then helped keep my weight up there for so long ... something sure did! I'm off everything that causes weight gain now (I think) and don't plan on going back on anything long term if I can help it. I took a round of Prednisone a week ago but it was just a 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 thing and then I was through with it. I'm sure you've all done one of those. It usually makes me feel better but it didn't work this time. I am still hurting so bad I can't stand myself. My head is a little better ... I think it was from being out in the sun with customers for so long today. They just want to stand out there and talk and talk and talk! I nearly passed out on a couple yesterday. Had to sit down on one of the trailers and they STILL didn't leave!!! I wouldn't be able to stand FL ... can't take the heat!

Had friends over tonight afterall but not for dinner, we went out to eat and I bought cake for dessert ... turns out we had so much fun we decided to do it again tomorrow night ... we had cake left over so we have to eat it all up! ;)

Mima
05-14-2005, 06:34 AM
You must have the same kind of friends we have, Meme. Sounds like fun. Send us some of your heat, just not all of it. Well, trees are finally on the trees-hope I don't have asthma again as I am going to work on Tuesday. I was so bad in Florida.
I read on another thread that I have been doing the wrong thimgs for the IBS. I did not have any pains yesterday and I switched to Beneful instead of Metamucil. Now I don't have that bloated feeling. Too funny yesterday-I was going to bring the dog to the vet yesterday and he disappeared til noon -when the office closes. So today, he is going at 10:30 but I think Brad will bring him-after he fixes my closet-the shelf is falling down. Have a nice weekend everyone-I am achy from doing so much work-i will rest correcting the teacher test. Ha!!! Mima

Tammy
05-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Meme, the Flexeril is what I take at bedtime, so sleepy is a good thing. lol Since I went on it in Sept., I've gained 10 pounds. I told Bob that it doesn't seem to matter how much or how little I eat, I stay the same since I've gained those pounds.

It's cool and raining here today. The band is supposed to march and play at a racetrack about 25 miles north of here this evening. I'm planning to chaperone, but the way it looks, it will be rained out. It's Eldora Speedway just in case any of you are racing fans. Tony Stewart of Nascar fame just bought it.

MemeToo
05-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Tammy ... if you're really serious about wanting to lose some weight try this.

Drink a Boost (I like the choc.) for breakfast, drink a Yoplait Nouriche (I like the Strawberry best) for lunch and eat a lot of protein and veggies for dinner. Have a piece of fruit and some sugar free jello for snacks. Buy some Viactive calcium supplements and some Vitaball Vitamin Gumballs and have a couple each of those a day and drink lots of water. You should lose about 5 to 7 pounds a week for the first couple of weeks and then a couple of pounds a week after that. You can stay on that as long as it takes to lose as much weight as you need to because it's a healthy eating plan full of vitamins. I never get hungry. I drink the Boost every morning when I get up and then I don't usually get hungry again for hours. If I do I usually reach for a Nouriche and that fills me up for several more hours. I eat whatever I want for dinner but I'm maintaining my weight now. I keep Viactive and Vitaballs in my purse, too. If I want something while I'm out I just pop one of those in my mouth. Or, when I'm watching TV at night ... have my snack and vitamin at the same time. A lot of time eating is just a nervous habit all about 'chewing' and not about hunger at all. Those four little vitamin tricks (along with a bottle of Dasani) have saved me a lot of calories throughout the day. Anyway ... give that a try for a couple of weeks and let me know how you do.

Hubby just took his dad back to the hospital ... running a high temp again. They're doing tests ... don't know if they're going to keep him or not.

Tammy
05-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Meme, I think I'll wait until school is out to give that a try. Remind me in a couple of weeks. I know I don't drink as much water as I should because I'd be running to the bathroom all day at school. I'd like to get at least 10 pounds off by the time we go on vacation in July. That doesn't sound like a lot, but the way things have been going I'll never make it!

Hope your FIL is ok. Keep us posted.

MemeToo
05-15-2005, 01:20 AM
They sent him home ... going to have the nurse come out every day with his antibiotics in an IV again. We just went through a 4 day hospital stay and 7 days of this same treatment and he just finished his last IV 11 days ago. I think they should be finding out what's causing this infection myself. Why is it reccuring. There must be some underlying reason. I think they are just treating the symptom of some deeper problem.

Mima
05-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Sound like it Meme! Hope he feels better.Tammy-I came home 4 lbs over from Fl and I have only lost 1 lb-it ain't easy.MY IBS is so much better, I changed to Benefiber and I haven't had the pains. It's expensive but I'm worth it. Just had a problem because I ate fresh beets. Going out with Brad;s sister for dinner today, And his son and girlfriend are coming to church again. That's a good reason to be up here. I am going to sing with the church choir for our 50th Anniversary Mass in June and have already started working on the Craft Fair-making a Poncho. Doesn't help the fibro but it's fun .
Candice-are you ok. I will pray for you. Bye Mima

Mima
05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Good morning where is everyone? Going to Northhamton today-only 3 days. Bye Mima

MemeToo
05-17-2005, 01:12 PM
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. (Ps 28:7)

My ankle is healed ... it has skin on it!

Joanne D
05-17-2005, 03:22 PM
That is good news Meme.. I know you have been worried about it..
Tammy- Sounds like Meme has a good diet plan for her.. I favor the South Beach diet. I tend to want a little more food.. Protien and lots of veggies work for me..I have been maintaining for several months. Phase 1 will let you lose quiet a few pounds.. I have been staying on phase 2 . The hardback cost about 17$ at Walmart. They sell a small handbook for about 5-8$. A lot of Tops members are using it with good results..It was written by a heart doctor.. It is healthy.. WW ofcourse is now top of the list for weight loss,some say. It is expensive.. I lost 60 lbs there. I then joined Tops and when all else quit working tried SB. I lost 12 more and am happy.. Ofcourse exercise is 50 percent of the battle.
Mima- Back to grind ,I see.. Ofcourse that extra income helps.. It is warm here now. It was mid 80's Yesterday. Some people are getting a little rain ,we haven't yet.. My yard is dry.. I will have to get out and water tonight if it doesn't rain.
We are going to dinner tonight with a neighbor we have lived next to for 44 years. I have never even had a cup of coffee with them.. We pick up their mail when they are out of town..We have never visited in each others home! Does this sound strange? They asked. We accepted.. They are very nice people though. I am sure it will be a nice time...
Candice...You will be fine.. When is your surgery?
Bye,Joanne

MemeToo
05-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Two exciting things happening at once ... first my ankle is healed and now I HAVE A NEW PUPPY!!! The puppy I was going to get didn't come about. I called the lady who had the female today and she said the mother only had one pup and it was a male ... I wanted a female. So I found some in the paper about 40 miles from here and hubby and I went to see them tonight. They had ONLY ONE black female and it was love at first sight. It's so little and cute and cuddly! She'll be 8 weeks old Thursday and only weighs 3.5 pounds. I'll make a picture tomorrow when she's more settled in ... poor thing is nervous and scared to death tonight and she's finally settled down in her box right now. I'm going to go to WM tomorrow and get a carrying crate for her to sleep in and some food dishes, food and toys and stuff. The lady I bought her from gave me enough food for a day or two. We don't have ANYTHING because we weren't expecting to do this until next month. I DON'T EVEN HAVE A NAME FOR HER!!! I've thought and thought and can't come up with anything. Can you tell I'm excited? My BD is Friday so "Happy Birthday To Me!" :D

As far as diets go ... no "diet" is good unless you can stay on it forever. You absolutely HAVE to LIKE what you eat. That's the bottom line. If you aren't enjoying your food you won't continue to eat that food. And ... that food has to sustain you ... meet your needs or your daily requirements. If it isn't doing that, you can't stay on it forever. It might be ok to go on a 2 or 3 day fast or just eat soup or drink liquids or something to lose a few pounds for a reunion or something like that but if your talking about a long term diet that's really going to work, the food you eat has to have the vitamins you need and you have to like what you're eating or it'll never ever work ... you'll either get sick and have to quit or you'll get sick of the diet and quit. And what each person likes and dislikes is not the same just as each person's nutritional needs are not always the same. Like me ... I need a lot more protein and iron than most people because I'm severly anemic. Also, I hate being told what to or not to eat by someone else so a structured plan from a book doesn't work well for me when that might be what another person really needs. And some days I don't eat hardly anything while other days I eat like a pig! I'm different! So ... each person has to know their own bodies and what works for them and work out their own eating plan and it has to be for a lifetime ... not just for a few weeks.

My FIL has one Dr. telling him his blood is low ... sent him to another Dr. today and he said his blood isn't that low. He pulled some more blood and sent it off. Didn't tell him what his count was. I'd like to know. Wish I'd went in with him. I'm going to tell him to ask when he goes back next time and write it down. Bless his heart ... he's been though so much the last month.

Mima ... sounds like you're getting right back in the swing of things. Don't you just love to sing? The song I sang Sunday morning had 4 verses and 3 chorus' and NONE of them were the same ... it was hard to memorize!!! Thanks for the tip on the Benefiber ... I'm going to get some this weekend. I've been having an IBS problem, too, lately. Been killing me!

UT OH ... puppy just woke up and is crying. I may be in for a loooong night. :p

MemeToo
05-18-2005, 03:25 AM
Taking a vote ... help me choose a puppy name. I'm soooo stuck here! And desperate!!! Here are my choices. These are all French names I've found that I like:

Gabrielle (Gabby)
Isabelle (Belle)
Jacquline (Jackie)
Jeanie
Joelle (Jo)
Julie
Koko
Madeleine (Maddy)
Michelle (Chelle)
Nicolette (Nikki)
Nicolle (Nikki)
Nina
Noelle
Rochelle (Chelle)
Sacha

Vote ASAP because I can't keep calling her PUPPY! ;)

Tammy
05-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Joanne, when I lost weight a couple years ago, I was doing the South Beach diet. I should find that book and read it again. Tonight!! lol
I agree about WW getting costly. I was a member there, and I rarely lost much even when I was very strict with the program.

Meeting after school today. The superintendent and principal were there to tell us what we will be teaching next year. Instead of meeting with individual teachers, we were all in one room and the projected the names and grades on a screen. There are 4 of us at second grade right now. Only one of us will be there next year. I am going to 4th grade, my team teacher is going to 8th grade, and the other teacher is going to 5th. People are NOT happy. I think it was the administrations way to say that they can do what they want, and we can't do anything about it.

Meme, I like Jo because that's my middle name!!

MemeToo
05-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Well ... so far I have a Nikki, a Jo, two Gabbys and still no name. They asked me at the vets when I called to make an appointment what her name was and I said just put her down as puppy for now and maybe I'll have a name for her by next time! :lol: I didn't get the picture made yet, today has been extremely busy with 2 trips to town ... maybe tomorrow will be better. My cousin is wanting a picture, too, so I'll try really hard to get one. She's soooo cute! Hubby is even falling for her! ;)

Mima
05-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Sasha-gotta go to work. Got a new haircut and tons of compliments, Mima

Joanne D
05-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Tammy- We all know that 50% of any eating plan to lose weight is exercise..The easy way is put on a pair of walking shoes and go out the door. Tell your family "see you in an hour". Read the SB book again. It is always hard to get back to changing our way of eating to a healthy way. I tend to modify my eating between SB and WW.In other words I still count points..I don't write down everything I eat unless I have gotten way off tract. My daughter has walked with a fellow teacher for quiet a while. She also goes to her room where all here exercise toys are and does about an hour there most days.Getting rid of the white foods is a start..
They did much the same thing in her school when they moved the teachers around. My daughter was upset for the whole summer because of the way it was handled the last day of school. Now she is glad.. She is still grade leader(which she was tired of) but it seems less stress.. All Fl. schools are stress these days..A lot of changes need to be made.For my daughters sake I am glad there is only about another week or so left in this school year..
Meme- Sasha sounds good.. I sometimes would like to have a little dog.. My hubby is against it.. They are a lot of work. We don't have a fenced in yard and it would have to be on a chain whenever we took it out..It would limit our time away from home etc..
Tops tonight. Have to face the scale!
Bye...Joanne

Happy Canuk
05-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Good afternoon ladies.

I have been to fatigued to even bother typing. Last week, I went to the city to help my aunt with her garage sale. Went Wednesday, came home Friday afternoon, and went back Saturday and came back Sunday. I came back home Friday, because I was afraid of crashing and then having to stay in the city longer, until I felt strong enough to drive. Hubby came with me on Saturday. Then for the past 3 days, I have done nothing - not even sleep. Today, it is past noon and I feel back to normal, thank goodness.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEME!!! I like Gabby for a name, so that is my vote. My DIL name is Jackie and her sister is Jo :lol: They are French and their names are really Jackaline and Jolene.

Joanne - hope you get some rain down there. It is trying it's best to rain here, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Just little spits and spats. Enough fell to get the leaves popped out, so everything is beautiful and green. The Environment people say we are in for a drought again this summer.

Tammy - soon school will be over!!! I am sure you feel just like the kids on that one :lol: FREEDOM!!! I have been trying to loose weight, unsuccessfully for the past few years. It won't budge and I get discouraged. I do all of what Joanne said, with the exception of walking. Now that my foot feels better, I will give that a try, but I don't expect anything to happen. I am burdened by a chronic yeast problem and than makes your body retain a LOT of fluid.

Also, the SB diet doesn't work for me. It causes my heart to go into Atrial Fibrillation, even when taking meds. The heart specialist said it gets the Electolytes messed up. So, I find myself between a rock and a hard place at times.

Joanne - I haven't eaten white stuff for years. I don't drink pop, eat much candy etc. I eat really healthy as a matter of fact, and rarely do we have junk food here. I need to cut the portions down, down, down. I was on WW for 6 months and lost 9 pounds and that was in the first couple of weeks, then NOTHING.

Meme - hope you are having yourself a nice day. That puppy sounds so cute. I would love one, but won't get one, as I want to be free to come and go at will, and that will get to be even more so,when hubby retires in 5 years.
I was going to try drinking a Boost and having a Yoplain Nouriche, but it seems that nobody has that one here. I guess I could go with 2 boosts. Did you use the Boost with extra fiber or protein???

Candice - Where are you? Have you had your surgery yet?

Mima - so you are working again, well have fun! I could never move to a place like Florida or Arizona as the heat would kill me. I hate hot weather. I like it around 75 degrees, as that is just perfect. Plus, I guess I am a homebody and I would miss my friends and family too much. So, I will spend the winter in snow country :lol:

Well, hope everybody has a good day.

MemeToo
05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Anne ... you and I must be just alike! :D TN even gets too hot for me during July and Aug. Yes ... I drink the boost with extra Protein every day because of my low blood.

Well ... I started to name her Gabby because so many people liked that but I was also leaning toward Nikki. Then I liked Koko, too. It was so hard. Almost as hard as naming a baby! :p But ... then I went back through the baby names again (on a different website I found) and came up with some new names. I decided on one ... Tanika. It's different. Guess I'll call her Nika ... it just seems to fit. Since I'm going to register her I'll need 2 or 3 names so I think I'm going to register her as Princess Tanika Domonique (so I can sing "Dominique, nique, nique" to her!!!) :lol: Hard to type ... she's sitting in my lap with her head on the bottom of the keyboard!

http://www.memeart.com/images/Tanika1.jpg http://www.memeart.com/images/Tanika2.jpg

Happy Canuk
05-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh Meme, what a little sweetheart she is. I like that name you picked for her. Who wouldn't love her.

Mima
05-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Good name meme-Happy Birthday and I am so glad about your foot!!!!Ankle I mean. We got out a day early so went back to hotel and got my stuff-except for the phone charger!! and came home. I don't transition well when I get home because Brad is so messy!!! I can't change him and I am tired when I get home so I should just bite my tongue!! He has a drs appt today because something was elevated in his urine sample-never a dull moment. I am thinking it might be prostate. Least we are in MA. I would NOT want to live in FL in the summer but my son doesn't mind. Everything has air so you only have to go out when you get in your car.
We are in a new building at work , with picture windows that go all around the room with a view of the rolling hills and mountains. That area of MA is so gorgeous. Man, did I get compliments from my friends.They were glad to see me.And vice-versa. Always something to do or talk about!! But I ate dessert. And the IBS is not good. 3 days off. We are going to a Southern Gospel concert tomorrow night. Pray for Brad please. Mima

Joanne D
05-20-2005, 08:26 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAYHAPPY BIRTHDAY Meme= I can never get this right!!!So I guess I did it twice!!
What a cute puppy!!!I want one .Mess and all...
Happy. I hope you are feeling better.. I still have a cough. Now my hubby is getting it..He has been coughing all day.. Neither one of us will sleep tonight..
If we get rain I will probably run outside and do a rain dance!!
Hello Mima- Warm weather is something you have to get used to..I guess.. I can take it but rather not... I have lived here all my life..
Tammy - Just a few more days..
Bye Joanne

Mima
05-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Good morning-I was so tired all day yesterday-why do I work? I will go back tomorrow night for 2 days and then have 7 off and work 4 more, Next time, I definitely won't work that many days!!! We will be going to a conference in the middle of it. Brad went to doctor-he has to take a new med because the diabetes is putting stress on his kidneys. As he was going out the door, he remebered what was elevated and I looked it up. I am going to lunch at a Tea Room-taking 2 girlfriends for their Birthdays, It was supposed to be an awful weekend, but now it's not, weatherwise, that is. Going to a concert tonight-Jacob Brothers. At our new church. Bye for now Mima

Tammy
05-22-2005, 05:32 PM
OK. I just typed a short message. Hadn't even finished it. Now it is gone. Don't you wonder where they end up???

Joanne, I wrote that I had just told Bob that I need to be walking with him again. He walks faster than me, but if we are at the track, we get to say hello when he passes me! lol With the school situation, I am more upset at the way they did things than I am with switching to 4th grade. I get along with the other 4th grade teachers so it will be fine. Parents in the community are NOT happy with the shake-up. I'll be spending my summer reading and learning about 4th grade!! Take a picture of your rain dance. I'd like to see it.

Mema, Nika is adorable!!!! It makes you just want to reach out and cuddle her. I won't say that outloud since Kramer is laying on the floor beside me. He'd get jealous.

Mima, hope things are going Ok with Brad. He will be in our prayers. How was the concert?

Bob and I went to Wal Mart today and picked up boxes. He had told the guy in the meat dept. to save some. I think I have 25-30 broken down boxes in the back of the van. I figure the school can provide the duct tape to put them back together since they are the ones who are making us change classrooms.

9 days of school. Actually, 2 years and 9 days. But who's counting!!

Candicej
05-22-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm ok .....surgery went fine but I am still not able to eat alot and very very sore..even hurts to breathe and I can't even lay down do to the pain..been using the recliner........gotta go rest...........I knew the Fibro would make the pain worse but didn't think it would be like this!

Tammy
05-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Candice, take care of yourself. The more that you move, the less the pain will be. Sounds crazy, but it worked for me. I know the Fibro does make it worse though.

Joanne D
05-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Candice- Tammy is right..The more you move the better. Walk around in your house every once in a while. It helps the pain ..
I am almost over my cold. My hubby has it now.. The Dr. put him on antibiotics . Now he has a good reason to complain..
I am going to get back to the T/M more now.. It is really hot now.. I will take some days to walk to the beach though. I hate being cooped up..Walking is one of the best exercises. I have decided that the water at the spa is just too cold.. I had cramps in my legs and toes the last time I was there. I don't want to shiver when I am doing exercise.I wish I had a pool!
Hello everybody...Joanne

Tammy
05-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Glad you are feeling better Joanne. Stay away from your hubby so you don't get it back!!

Cramps are not good when you are exercising! Be careful.

MemeToo
05-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Praying for you Candice!!!

Nika is keeping me busy. She is using her paper a lot ... but also having a few accidents along the way. She's just too cute! Everybody adores her. I took her to church with me Sun. night. We only meet for about an hour so I left her in the van in the shade with the windows down ... I have a soft sided carrier for her. Almost everyone at church has a longing for a puppy now! ;) Hubby is not too fond of small inside dogs but this one has him ... hook, line and sinker! Of course, the 4 grandkids want to just STAY here now. They all came over Sat. to see Nika and didn't want to leave. We're going to AL this weekend and they are fighting over who is going to get to keep her! :D I told them I'm going to just take her with me. I have 4 families who want her this weekend. No shortage of 'puppy-sitters'.

I know you'll be glad when school is over Tammy and I'm glad your happy at home, Mima. (even if you are having to work some) Hope you're feeling better Joanne. It's hot here, too. And people are coming and standing around in my driveway looking at trailers. I sold 3 yesterday. I don't mind when they buy but I sure do hate it when they just want to TALK!

Anne ... don't they have another yogurt drink you can do instead of the Nourishe? Have you lost any weight yet? I have a friend at church who is doing that and she told me Sunday that she's lost 12 pounds. She stopped losing week before last and I told her she wasn't eating enough. She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her to eat a little more for about 3 days and then go back to what she was doing ... she did and she dropped 5 more pounds. I'm staying the same ... I'll gain a couple of pounds and then it'll drop back off in a week or so. Then I'll get hungry again and back it comes. I'm ok with that as long as it's just the same couple of pounds. ;)

Mima
05-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Good morning-home again, home again, jiggedy jig-for 6 days and it's supposed to rain all of them, IBS acting up-that's why it's hard to work. I guess I should go on a liquid diet. Without milk in it, Candice-glad your surgery is over!!! Each day will be easier. Guys-can I trade this HORRIBLE weather for the heat. Both ways, you have to stay inside!!! Brad's favorite restaurant in Ft Myers burned down-hope they have it rebuilt before we go back!! Going to a meeting at church for our Fair-I nixxed the choir-good thing because I spent time in the bathroom. I have to be careful I don't do too much!! Brad is good-he just has to take a med so his kidneys won't be stressed. Bye for now Mima

Happy Canuk
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Meme, I have to watch what I eat, as far as sugar content - or the yeast problems becomes terrible to manage. They have YOP by Yoplait, but it has lots of sugar in it. I think Boost does too. It all has over 300 calories, so what is the difference if you eat 300 calories worth of food or drink a drink?? Food is better for you. I don't know - I will have to think about it.

I will bet you have no problems getting a puppy sitter :lol:

Joanne - You aren't working hard enough in the pool if you are cold :lol: Our pool is only around 80 degrees and if you stop moving you do get cold. The worst part for me is getting INTO that pool, after that I am fine. Walking is good.

Candice - hope you are feeling better. Takes a little time to get feeling better after any surgery.

Mima - gosh, that IBS has got a hold on you. Mine is so much better. Once in awhile it gets going, but mostly it is manageable. It does hinder ones life, that is for sure.

Well, I went and had some acupressure massage and boy did that help the glutismaximus muscles. They are feeling soooo much better. Then, I went to the Chiro, because after getting them relaxed, my spine moved. You just can't darn well win. Anyway, today, I am feeling a little stiff and sore, and if it is NOT better by tomorrow, may have to go back.

Hope you all have a good day.

Joanne D
05-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Happy- I get cold really easy.. I also have thin blood. I have lived in the south all my life. People who live in cold countries have thicker blood. I see a lot of ladies and gents down here swiming in the Gulf in the winter months,who are just here for a season. We who live here year round would never go in the Gulf during the winter months.The water is just too cold..I need warmer water..
I have to agree, 300 cal. is the same no matter how you get them.. What works for some though doesn't work for others. I need more solid foods. It may be just in my mind ,but, a drink is not the same as food to me.I can get by on just a small cup of yogurt for a lunch.. Then I am really wanting food at dinner..
Mima- Come on down and share the heat!!! It is getting into the 90's now.. The coast areas of central Fl. isn't getting rain. My yard is drying up. My hubby doesn't want to turn on the sprinklers. He keeps saying it is going to rain. I say go outside and wait for it. :lol:
Meme- My cold is better. Now my stomach is hurting. I feel like I have a ulcer.. I am keeping maalox in business. I take Prilosec but it isn't doing the job. I guess I took so much cold med. That triggered something..It is always something...I too keep gaining and losing the same 2 lbs.. I may have to get down to business with a closer eye..I am bound to creep up. I stay right on the edge all the time..
Hello Tammy, Candice..Joanne

Mima
05-26-2005, 07:05 AM
If you have an ulcer-Prevacid is the one to take but it's by prescript. I had stomache pain all day yesterday but I think I am better. It's still raining!!!!!!! At least we are not on the coast. We have to get to the cenmeteries in between the raindrops! Hey Candice, how are you doing? Better I hope.
Went to a Church Fair meeting last night-the couple in charge are dynamos-we are so fortunate. I will do my part but I don't feel motivated yet. Gotta get this work thing over. And not work so much again!! I get too tired and my stomache acts up and I don't need the money. How's that!! I'm not sure I would go to the chiro and have massage on the same day, Anne. Massage-Gotta make an appt. Thanks for reminding me. Well, Carrie is the Idol but I was so happy to see Vonzell perform. It was a good show!! Bye for now Mima

MemeToo
05-26-2005, 11:48 AM
WORK!!! Gotta do that!!! Too much to do today. Gotta do all my laundry, clean my nasty house, take the puppy to the vet and my business taxes are due so I have to enter the last month (or two???) in the books and then fill out the papers to file. Tonight I'll have to do my hair and pack for AL (we're leaving at 3 tomorrow and I'll have Garrett and Kaylyn from 10 to 3.) We have 3 people coming to pick up trailers this afternoon so I'll have the paper work on those to do plus I have to start teaching at 4.

Ain't Life Grand? ;)

Tammy
05-26-2005, 11:31 PM
LOL Yep to life being grand!! I am so tired of looking at the cardboard boxes in my classroom! The teacher in the room I'm moving to let me know that she has some spots empty for me. I think tomorrow I'll put some of my kids to work and we'll take some things to the new room. They've been begging me to help do anything! I even had one boy who took home all of the addition flash cards tonight to organize them. What a kid!

5 more days of school for this year. Tuesday is the 2nd grade picnic, and Wednesday in the afternoon is our field day. Next Friday we dismiss 2 hours early. Teachers can stay until 6:00 to count that as their work day. I'll be there until 6 and then some!! Always am.

MemeToo
05-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Our school let out yesterday.

That "grand life" threw me a curve today ... of all days ... Son-in-law started having chest pains and had to be admitted to the hospital. They don't know why or what. They're keeping him and doing a stress test tomorrow. Had to go pick up Ross and Jenna from SAC (after school program they go to during the summer) and keep them all night ... so I'll have to take them back tomorrow at 10 a.m. and then pick up the other two after I drop them off. PLUS ... hubby bought a truck tonight so I have to go to the bank in the morning, get the money, go pay the guy and get the title ... all BEFORE I switch kids. I told him tonight I just CAN'T do all this stuff. I just CAN'T!!! I have TOO MANY people depending on me to do TOO MANY things TOO MUCH of the time. I JUST CAN'T!!!!!!! He agreed ... so here was his solution for the weekend. We won't spend the night in AL ... since I have the kids all night and more all day tomorrow. We'll get up at 6 a.m. Sat. morning and go and get the trailers and come back Sat. evening. Do it all in one day.

Ain't life grand? :mad:

Happy Canuk
05-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi.

Mima - I didn't have the massage and the chiro treatment all in one day. I have done that before, though, and it worked well for me. The massage first, then the chiro. Gets the muscles are warmed up for the chiro. I had the massage a week ago, but since he worked on the muscles, it seems to have pulled the spine out of wack. Still not feeling good, so I might have to go back tomorrow. We shall see.

Tammy - gosh, your school year finishes a whole month before ours. You must go back earlier than we do. The colleges and Universities finish at the end of May, however. I will bet you will be happy to get some time off, and maybe just relax a bit.

Meme - You do it to yourself!! No, is a very simple word and it's time you started using it. I know you want to be active and keep on going like the energizer bunny, but gee, give yourself a break!!! I hope your SIL will be ok. He can't be all that old. My cousins son was admitted for chest pain (he was 28) and it turned out to be a virus of the heart. It took almost 2 years for it to go away. I don't know how far the place your going to is from your home, but I hope not that far. A one day trip will be very tiring. I think you were looking forward to going and getting away for awhile.

Candice - I hope you are feeling better now. I knew you would be hurting, but I hope it has calmed down.

Joanne - glad your cold has left you - just don't kiss hubby :lol: I must have nice thick blood, although I do get cold fast, anymore. The heat about kills me. During the winter, it is very cold, but dry here, and I feel good, pain wise. It's when the humidity is around that I really start to hurt.

I probably won't be around much for the next month. Hubby is taking holidays for the month of June (last years holidays). We aren't really planning on going anywhere specific, just around. I may be in and out.

Everybody enjoy the day tomorrow.

Happy Canuk
05-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Here's something for you to read over your morning coffee :)

Questions well answered

The university professor challenged his students with this question:
"Did God create everything that exists?"

A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything?" the professor asked.

"Yes, Sir," the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil; since evil exists and, according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil."

The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor, quite

pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he had proven once

more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course," replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact, Sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is, in reality, the absence of heat.

Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy.

Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colours and study the various wavelengths of each colour. You

cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said.

We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world these manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, Sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exists just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart.

It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name ---

Albert Einstein.

Candicej
05-27-2005, 05:07 AM
I can finnaly lay down now and climb the stais to my own bed! Still alot of abdominal pain so can't do all my Fibro stretches, yoga, pilates and stuff......post op appt said all was fine and I did really well for a Fibro person..whatever that means....I hope I have not over done..been in the yard about everyday watering and doing something......no rain here at all......didn't plan on that! The really bad pain lasted about 4 days..and then nausea set in...not sure why..gone now. He said it would be about 6 weeks to full healing....he was running late so he rushed me and I forgot to ask lot of questions. Like when do the surgical strips come off and when can I take a bath instead of a shower and when can I dirve and etc so the nurse will call in the morn. I still was not prepared for all this pain since everyone said it would be a snap!!!!!!!!! I do not like having to be careful not to over do! I just do not want my Fibro to flare because I can't do my exercise! I have to be acitve or I get bad..............

Mima
05-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Candice, I guess it's different if you have fibro_take it easy! I was hoping it was a fun weekend, Meme. You take it easy-sometimes you have to take things a minute at a time! Those last days of school are exhausting, Tammy, never mind packing!! But think of how much you will have done when you retire and kids love to help! I love those second graders. Anne, I have had problems after a massage-I guess we had the muscle corrected and then other stuff gets out of line. Hope you have a relaxing time with your hubby's days off.
I am supposed to go for a walk today with my aunt and treat her for her bd but I woke up feeling like I was going to vomit-happened the other day too. I am drinking coffee right now, which I couldn't do if I was sick-I'll play it by ear. Joanne-I will send you some rain. I think it's going to stop today but it hasn't yet. Mima

Tammy
05-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Meme, your life doesn't sound so grand right now. Keep us posted on your son-in-law. It is hard to keep going when so many people depend on you. Hang in there!!!!

Anne, we go back to school the last week of August. There are some schools around here that are already out. Enjoy your time with your hubby!! We are planning a short trip to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania sometime in June. Need to get reservations made. We just decided yesterday to go. I enjoyed the Albert Einstein story. I didn't read it with coffee though.

Candice, was your surgery the laser type with the smaller incisions or did they have to do the larger incision type?

Mima, the kids are wonderful. I had one little boy yesterday who asked if he could dust the classroom. I told him yes. He spent his recess time dusting everything including me!!! He just giggled! Hope you get to feeling better. I've been having weird feelings this week too. Not exactly sick, just not right.

Joanne D
05-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Meme- No one will realize how much you do untill you are no longer doing it for them.. Have a great weekend..Rest!!We are going for a week to St. George Island(in the panhandle) the end of July.I am looking forward to it.
Happy- I told my hubby "don't even think about coming close to me till his cold is gone. :lol:
Tammy- My daughter was finished this week. Or supposed to be. I bet she was in her classroom working today..
Candice- Every day will get better. Keep moving..
Mima- I will take all the rain you send. Hubby outside watering now.. He agreed we need to put on sprinklers sunday.. I think he is praying for rain before then..I see it is cool up your way..
Have a Great Weekend Everybody...Joanne

Tammy
05-27-2005, 11:44 PM
The weekend! Finally!!
We had a downpour this afternoon for about 15 minutes. Thunder, lightning, terrible winds. Then the sun came out and it was beautiful the rest of the day. Weird.

Graduation parties Sat. and Sun. More next weekend.
Some of my kids moved boxes to the new classroom today. They put heavy boxes on my chair (it's on wheels) and rolled them to the new room one at a time. They were so funny! Then some 4th graders brought boxes to my room for Rhonda. We are just trading rooms and grade levels. Wasn't that brilliant of the administration? I'm meeting with the 4th grade team after school on Tuesday to go over things for next year. I've had parents of 3rd graders stop me and tell me that they are thrilled that there is a chance their kids will have me again. That made me feel great!!!

Have a great weekend!!

Mima
05-28-2005, 06:50 AM
That's great about the parents. One year I moved from 4th to 5th-my choice-and I had 3 of my kids again and the parents were happy. And the kids too. It will all come together. Thanks for the laugh about the box on your chair rolling down the hall. And the dusting!! I have been to Gettysburgh twice-it's great. Never heard of St George's Island but I bet it's beautiful. The sun has finally come out. I spent most of the day sleeping on the couch-think it's sinus. Brad got my favorite med for me-hot and sour soup. It opens up the sinuses. I get like this once in a while-especially this time of year. Needless to say-I didn't get to see my aunt or go to the cemetery near her so now we have to go to both this weekend. Bye for now-have a good weekend. Mima

Tammy
05-28-2005, 12:33 PM
This will be our 3rd trip to Gettysburg. Tim has been a Civil War buff since 2nd grade. My mom bought him a book about Robert E. Lee, and that started it all. He knows more about the Civil War than I'd ever want to know! We're staying at the Holiday Inn right near the battlefields. That's where we stayed the last time. Bob and Tim can go do the history stuff, I'll probably hit some shops. lol Usually we drive straight through. It's about a 9 hour drive. Bob has decided we'll stay overnight going and coming so I'll be more comfortable and rested. We leave here June 14.

It is beautiful today! Warm not hot. I'm going to go pull some weeds while Tim mows. That will be about it, then shower to go to the parties.

MemeToo
05-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Well ... we didn't go to AL. I'm glad!!! SIL didn't get to come home from the hospital until 6 last night so I had to go get the kids from their summer school at 3 and feed them dinner again. They couldn't find anything wrong with him! (I told hubby ... wonder if they even found a heart???) :?: That guy gets to me sometimes. He has his moments! But ... they didn't have our trailers ready so they guy said he'd bring them to us next week ... no charge. That made me REALLY happy. I didn't want to go this weekend. The kids have worn me out. I've just been so low on energy lately and hurting all over. I have an appt. with the Rheumatologist on Tues. ... but he probably won't do anything ... never does! We sold 2 more trailers this morning. SOMEBODY better get us some more in here. We're about to run out! Our other distributor is supposed to bring us a big load next week. Hubby just bought a Dodge 4X4 so we can go down and pick up bigger loads now ... oh joy! :rolleyes: I guess I'm an official redneck ... I've been out working on his truck this morning. Helping him put trailer brakes on it. Can't you see me up on a step stool with my head down in the hood of a big red Dodge Ram 4X4??? :lol: Hey Bubba! ;)

Joanne D
05-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Tammy- I fell in love with civil war with'Gone with the Wind'. I read everything I can get my hands on too. Hope you all have a good time. I have never been to Gettysburg. My daughter lives in Madison ,Fl. A lot of civil war fighting went on in that area. There was a confederate hospital there. A huge beautiful house, that the University of Florida now owns. It is used for social functions etc in town.There is a lot of history there. Collin Kelly ,One of the first world war 2 heros is from there. His sister still lives there.
Mima- St George Island is in north Florida in the panhandle. It used to be a spoil island that only a few fisherman familys lived on. Now it is a resort area with campgrounds for RV's and fishing area. Large homes and condo's etc. It has a few shopping areas(gift stores). You have to take your food with you as there are no gro. stores except pick quick.A couple places to eat. I would not eat at them.It is very quiet . I love it. Just Beach, Sunrises,Sunsets...Family.
Meme-Is there anything else that can be found for you to do? No wonder you are feeling low and hurting!Yeah Bubba!
Hello everybody...Joanne

Mima
05-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Meme=Brad has a Dodge Ram but it's not 4 wheel drive. He has to work out of it and he is too short. I also love the Civil War! Boy, does that island sound nice. We are ready to vacation again-we are going to Maine the last week of June. We are going to work on the yard tomorrow-I have my mulch. can't plant any flowers til work is over. Next Friday. I keep realizing how much work I have to do here and it takes all my energy to go away to work. Next time, mike and Jill are coming up so i will be home!!! You heard it here. I do feel better and we went to the movies last night-saw the Longest Yard-it was funny but a little gross. I want to see Cinderella Man . that looks great, Got up too early as usual. mima

Candicej
05-30-2005, 04:25 AM
Go bubba go!!!!!!!:lol: Meme you are too funny.

My son has been to St george Island..he loved it...

Not much going on here...got some pompass grass in the mail I ordered a long time ago..thought it got lost.... now I can't plant it ..no place to put it...didn't get the other bed inlarged like I had planned too.....oh well...just stick in the garden I guess for now. 6 plants.....woe....they get to be 7 ft!

I need your help again....you gals have such good advice. We have a wedding coming up, DH's nephew and they are having big fancy wedding with a sit down meal. They both have rather high taste.......now what is the going rate for a gift and do you have to send a shower gift if you are not attending the shower????? DH will be going to the wedding but I will not, and maybe my son might be and what does he do for a gift? Neither one of my boys can afford much right now with school and no jobs. My MIL says we have to spend enough on the gift to cover their cost for the meal and wedding....I do not agree with this...so help me out please with the proper wedding gift etiquett. Thanks

Mima
05-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Just my opinion-I do think of the cost of the meal but of course that is the bride and groom's choice to spend a lot of money-so maybe that is not valid. Shower gift even if you are not going to the shower-I mostly give gift certificates or money-people are usually registered somewhere so you can even pick out a gift online-that sure makes it easier-my cousin's daughter is having a baby shower and she is registered at babiesrus and I can't get on!!! I'll have to call them again. Of course, if it's a real close relative, I might do something special like make those cross stitch pieces with their wedding date. I think I have made my last one except if my daughter gets married. I am not sure I would worry about son's gift too much-people know that kids in college are poor-I remember when my niece got married, it cost me a fortune because my kids were in school and I had to buy their wedding clothes and pay for lodging-not even sure if they gave a gift but now they do-if they are invited. Don't worry Candice-none of this will matter in a few weeks!!! I always ask myself, on the day you die, is this going to matter? That would include my husband's messy garage !!! Mima

Tammy
05-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Candice, I usually go for a gift certificate/card for wedding gifts. I don't think it has to match the cost of the meal. Like Mima, that was their choice to do the expensive thing. I also agree about your son's. Put their names on your card. Or put from the family. That's what my parents used to do when we were all in school or just getting started in our careers. I always give a shower gift even if I can't attend. In fact, sometimes I've just combined what I'd give for the shower and the wedding into one gift. then I don't have to worry about it.

I have a shower and a wedding coming up for a former student. I won't be able to attend the shower because that's the day we go to listen to the Ohio Music Ambassadors (Tim and Jessica are in this) before they leave for Europe. Sarah and her future hubby just graduated from college, so I know they will need everything. I'm seriously thinking of gift certificates to restaurants. Kind of a joke in disguise because I know what kind of cook she is (or was!!) Poor guy! Hope he can cook. lol

It's raining here today. It was so nice Sat. and Sun. so we were able to get loads of yard work done.

MemeToo
05-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Candice ... It being a nephew, if it were me, I'd put a $50 bill in a card and leave it on the gift table at the wedding and put the whole families name on the inside of the card. If that's not enough then add to it. Why should you be the one to decide, though. It's your husband's family! Buy the card and make HIM put the money inside. Tell him that the proper thing to do, since you won't be attending the shower, is to give the couple money so they can just buy what they need. Most couples setting up housekeeping would rather pick out their own stuff, anyway. Ask him how much he wants to give his nephew and let HIM decide! He might rather give him $100 ... who knows! There's one of my husband's cousins that I just got a wedding invitation from and I didn't send anything!!! :lol: But on the other hand, there's one of my cousin's kids I just gave $50 for graduating from High School. So ... there you go. It just depends on the person a lot of times.

Well ... life threw me another one of those curves this weekend. One of our elderly church members died Sat. morning. He used to be our song leader. He died from cancer. He was so well loved by the community and had a very large family. The pastor called me and asked me to get some food together for Sun. night & Mon. because the family wanted him to lie in state at the church for visitation Sunday night and then the funeral was going to be at the church Mon. So there would be a dinner at the church Mon. afternoon for the family after they came from the cemetery. He wanted me to be in charge of all of that. I called all the women of the church and told them what I needed them to bring. We had so much food ... and it was almost all eaten!!!!!!! I've never seen so many people put away so much food. I worked Sun. all day! I didn't stop. We left after services Sun. morning and ran to Hardees for a burger ... then to the store. I came home and made chili and we went right back to church and set stuff up and the people started coming in. We had sandwich trays, fruit trays, cheese trays, veggie trays, 4 boxes of donuts, cookies, brownies, cakes and too much other stuff to mention and it was nearly all eaten Sun. night. We stayed at church until 9 and I went back to Wal Mart and bought $150 worth of stuff for Mon. ... came home and made banana pudding, strawberry salad, took a shower and fell into bed. Got up, made a ham, potatoes, beans, tea and I was back at church at 11 yesterday. I sent hubby after 150 pieces of chicken, we had 2 large hams and 2 turkey breasts, 3 pots of potatoes besides a potato cassarole and potato salad, at least 8 kinds of beans, 4 bowls of corn & I don't even know how many other vegetables, salads of all kinds, dressing, 8 or 9 trays of hot rolls, 2 tables of desserts ... and it was almost all eaten!!! I'm so tired ... I stayed and washed all the dishes and cleaned up the church and didn't get home until 9 last night. Don't want to do another funeral like that again for awhile!!!

I was supposed to go to the Dr. in Nashville today but didn't make it. Not able to after doing all that! That's pretty bad when you're too sick to go to the Dr.! :p

Joanne D
06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Candice- Meme is right. I usually give gift cards or money. The amount depends on how many times they cared enough to call ,say hello or visit... :lol:
Meme- You are just a pound of energy!! You do have a star in heaven.. I hope that your friends do as much for you..
Mima- We got some rain.. They were predicting severe weather last night. Hubby unplugged everything in house and waited. YEAH! I hope they predict a real storm the same way.. We had a little noise and some rain..At least I will iron today instead of watering the yard..
Went to the mall yesterday.. Got a new bathing suit and pocketbook... I am set for a few more years.. :lol:
Hello everybody..Joanne

MemeToo
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Joanne ... I won't care if they do or don't ... I'll be dead and hopefully in a better place than they are. At least not slaving away in the kitchen cooking and washing dishes!!! :lol:

MemeToo
06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
SUCCESS:

At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . having friends.
At age 16 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is . having money.
At age 50 success is . . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.

http://www.memeart.com/images/toiletspin.gif

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional!

Tammy
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
I loved the Calvin cartoon!!!!! We used to have that in the local paper. I miss it. I do have a couple of the Calvin and Hobbs books.

Joanne, I think I've had the same bathing suit since Tim was about 5 years old. He's 17 now. Think I should get a new one sometime?

We had field day this afternoon at school. The kids had so much fun. I laughed pretty hard a few times. They are a bit uncoordinated at some of the activities. Glad I wasn't playing!!

Two more days of school. Yes, I'm smiling. My room is almost packed up, then I get to start unpacking in the new room. I don't want to wait until August to unpack.

Candicej
06-02-2005, 05:03 AM
Still undecided on the gift..Dh made such a big deal about it, he wanted two gifts and he didn't want to give money so we got 12 silver napkin rings she was registered for but couldn't find the napkins, they were out..now I do not want to pay shipping to have them ordered so thinking of taking them back and getting something esle! I personally give crystal to my family and she has a pricy vase picked out but if we get that it will be only one gift..and they have to order it...but then I bought a silpat for her too and wondering if she will use it, wanted to put some cookie scoops with it and a cookie sheet..that is my ideal usefull gift but what if she doesn't bake??????? Too many ideas and I do not even know the girl but DH does, I think he is smitten with her beauty! ;) I should just take back the stuff we bought and make him give them a gift card! But that is a trip back to the store and I am not going out yet.......I will figure this out, later than sooner I'm afraid.....My MIL thinks the gift we give reflects on her and she expects us to give something nice.....she has never approved of our gifts and is surprized when the people like them! duh.........I put way too much thought into this stuff they had better like it! ;) We don't do cheap..DH is cheap most of the time but when I do it it is done right.

Tummy still hurting and worked in the yard fiishing up trimming...here are some robins in a nest at the backdoor.

Candicej
06-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Hey bubba you better slow down or they will cooking for your funeral!;):D;)

Tammy
06-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Candice, we had a nest of robins at the entryway to the elementary building. The kids loved it. Very protective of them.

MemeToo
06-03-2005, 01:46 AM
STARTING A NEW THREAD
DON'T POST HERE!