Support Groups - The Pact #3

View Full Version : The Pact #3

mette
05-09-2005, 09:50 AM
We are 3 (sometimes 4) women who met in the ďBuddy Up ForumĒ last summer (2004).
Originally we made a pact to lift weights, eat right, lose weight, and to support each other wile doing this. Weíre still trying to learn how to eat well and exercise regularly.

We don't follow the exact same food and exercise programs, but we all want to eat more balanced and healthier.
We are very friendly and welcome anybody who wants to join us in the pact to lift weights, eat right and lose weight!

2005 - It's a new year and a chance to continue with our pact and take a step closer to our goals. Please feel free to join us in the new year with our new resolve.

mette
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Hope everybody had nice weekends. I started the new thread, the old one was getting too long.

Ang, I donít want a job where I sit on my a** all day either Ė but it does seem likely that Iíll end up sitting down a lot. Do you guys have something else youíd rather be doing? A dream job? Ang, you want to be a farmer full time, perhaps? :D
I loved The Great Gatsby, even if itís years and years since I read it. I have a soft spot for bittersweet and tragic tales. I had to stop reading Stephen King after Pet Cemetery; it scared me so badly that I had to sleep with the lights on! HehÖ And now that I think about it: Geraldís Game with the woman handcuffed to the bed, was very scary too. And Misery. And some of his short stories. Yeah. I donít read Stephen King anymoreÖ :fr:

I think my protein sources basically are the same as before: low fat dairy (cheese, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt), low fat fish (tuna, cod fish), salmon (but a lot of fat = lots of calories), eggs and egg whites, beans, and protein shakes/bars.
For dinner today Iím having omelet with cheese, onions and peppers, and fresh strawberries for dessert.

Iím down another pound and have reached the one-seventies! I was down to about 183 six years ago, but now that Iím moving below that - Iím moving into territory I havenít been in more than 10 years. And itís nice to get closer to goal, nice to see that Iíll probably actually reach goal too. :p

Have a nice Monday everybody!

mette
05-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah - I just wanted to post and bump the Pact #3 thread up on the forum page, so that it was above the #2 thread!
Don't mind me.
Just carry on... :rolleyes:

lilwolfe006
05-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Morning ladies.

I think I am all caught up with reading the past messages and such.
So, heres my post weekend update:

Got my results back on Sat. Nothing beyond the mild dysplasia was present, and she removed the areas of concern at that appt. So, from this point, back to normal check ups every 6 months - then if I am clear for a few years, back to once a year.

The difference between MFD and WW - is that MyFoodDiary tracks calories eaten versus calories burned. So they put you at between 1300-1600 Net Calories as the weight loss zone. You enter your foods in and it tracks all that for you, as well as tracking where your calories come from. So, you can look and go, my god 80% of my calories are from fat! That's not good. I am aiming for like 50% carbs, then 30% protein and 20% fats. You get smilies for meeting daily goals, and frownies if you are doing something that should be looked into.

WW basically is a resticted calorie diet also, but uses a point system. They give you a formula for figuring your points and such, that revolves around calories, fat and fiber. So I could have, essentially, a 600 calorie day, but if it was high in fat, be WAY over my point values. While it is healthier to eat balanced, 600 calories a day, regardless of what kind, is not enough to keep your body out of starvation mode.

Doing the point system this past week, and adding in how much exercise I burned calories with. Every single day gave me a 'too few calories consumed' frownie, ranging anywhere from 600 - 1200 net calories.

I like the meetings and encouragement from WW, but I think their point system doesn't count for enough variance in people. Dunno.

So this weekend was great. I had softball practice (first of the year) and am so sore. I also weeded the garden and took a bike ride. Sat. night I went out with my friends. (I ama bear, and thus have not gone out since like last fall) Anyway, they all dropped their jaw and one of them just kept hovering over me with a wide grin about how tiny I looked. I certainly don't FEEL tiny yet, so it was a good jolt to the head for me, ya know a 'Hey you, you're doing good'.

I am technically, 16.6lbs away from my goal weight now, and it is getting slow. (Or it could be slow because WW has me consuming too little and the body slowed down because of it) -but the end is definitely in sight.

I still haven't secured horseback riding lessons. I wish there were someplace closer to me- That'd make it so much easier.

Anyway. That's where things are for me. Oh, and I couldn't STAND The Great Gatsby hahaha. ;)

shyangel
05-10-2005, 09:46 AM
I was out of the office yesterday and have a visitor today and tomorrow but I'm around and will try to post soon. Have great Tuesdays! :)

mette - thanks for starting the new thread. :D

mette
05-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Renee Ė Iím fascinated that you manage to Ďconsume too few caloriesí! ;)
I must admit itís a problem Iíve never had: My struggle is definitely to eat less.
What is going on with you since youíre not eating enough? Donít you like the food on your plan? Are you afraid to stop losing weight if you eat more? Or do you feel satisfied on few calories?

Every time I eat less than 1500 calories I feel weak and drained of energy, and Iíll often notice being tired before I notice being hungry. Itís a bit weird. I eat 5 meals a day now, which means I try to eat every 3 hours. It keeps me from getting hungry and weak.

Yes, the end is in sight. I have about 16lbs left too, but I chose the goal weight because it gives me a nice round number (-80lbs in total), so Iíll have to see what happens when I get closer Ė right now I have no idea where Iíll end up. I have to see what it looks and feel like.

lilwolfe006
05-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey mette

I dunno how it happens. Like I said, I am using this food tracker calorie counter thing. Today for example. I ate a total of 28.5 "Points" on Weight Watchers. For my weight, I am allowed 20. I exericsed for an hour at their 'moderate' level which, at my weight, earns me 4Activity points that I can, and did eat. I also used 4.5 of my weekly Flex Points (35 points to use wherever and whenever you want) All that said and done, the calorie counter said I consumed 1300 calories. But my exercise monitor said I burnt 450. So that leaves me at 850 net calories - IE TOO FEW AGAIN! It's really throwing my head for a loop.

I know that you need 1200 calories or more to stay out of starvation mode, but it doesn't seem like Weight Watchers works for that. I am going to post on the forums here and see what people suggest.

The thing is, I eat plenty. This morning, I had two Sausage Burritos from McDonalds. Have a salad from their for lunch. And an ice cream cone as a treat. Dinner was 1/2 cups brown rice, 1 cup stir fry veggies with 1oz steak. Then, a peanut butter granola bar and a brownie for dessert.

Weight Watchers figures points based on calorie, fiber and fat. So, those 2 burritoes counted for 14 points!!!! But had only 580 total calories....

We'll see. I think I might lose more weight if I wasn't always so deprived calorie wise.
Speaking of weight. Yesterday I was up 2/10th of a pound at weigh-in, which is really really minute and pointless to worry about. But I do think I'd lose better if I had this all figured out.

Well, to bed for me. Tomorrow is our first softball game!

shyangel
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Warm weather has finally arrived! :)

I am so tired of sitting in my office. The nice weather gives me a chance to get out and walk at lunch. I would rather be doing a mix of farming (full time farming is impractical on a small scale and large scale isn't the same) and I have been talking to bf about buying houses, fixing them and selling them. It would get me moving and I love to see progress on things. I haven't given up on it. I can't see being at this job for too long.

mette - S. King does have a number of books that are adventure and not scary but I know a lot of people get turned off if they read his horror and aren't fans of that genre. I'm way behind in my S. King reading. I'm just finishing last month's book club book and the next one is in a week or two. Yikes! Honestly, I am not looking forward to reading the Great Gatsby. I had to read it a long time ago and don't remember loving it. :(

Congratulations mette on getting into the one-seventies. Reaching new weights is exciting. As an adult the lowest I ever got was about 172. I can't believe I have gained 30 pounds in 2 years. New topic... :mad:

Renee - MyFoodDiary sounds great. I'll have to go check that out. Where do you get your calorie counts from?

I know it might seem like a waste, but what about going to WW meetings for the support but not following the plan? When I went there were no questions about my points for the week so I could have been doing anything. You could also look into other support groups for eating, Renee, if you want the encouragement.

Renee - good luck at your softball game. Let us know what position you play. I used to play softball and miss it. Next year I'm thinking of joining the town co-ed league.

I'm off for my lunchtime walk. Take care.

lilwolfe006
05-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Hey ladies, I think I got the WW forum into a tizzy with my post about points vs. calories!! Woops. People tend to read stuff and take everything literally and negatively. Ah well. That's why you guys are so great.

I am going to try WW this week and see what happens. Another bad week of breaking even or some minimal loss and I will try just following calories instead of points. So far, of the last 10 weeks. The times I have lost the most weight have been the weeks I complain of 'completely blowing it, pigging out and splurging' - which really sorta helps the cause for the idea WW is not giving me enough.

I went to a base metabolic rate site, and figured in loosely what I do, and it gave me 2700 calories for my day to day activity. Weight Watchers, at 20pts, is giving you a 1100 calorie consumption day. (If you dont use your freebies)

Why does this stuff have to be so confusing and complicated?

As for softball, the temperature is currently 48 degrees, with a NNE wind at 20mph to give a windchill of 39. Yay softball. >.< I may be playing second base tonight. Or right field. Which I hate. I am so bad at judging pop ups.

It is a friends co-ed league, so its not all competitive, but I hate when I miss a catch!

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow after I freeze my fingers off.

lilwolfe006
05-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Well despite my efforts, we WON our softball game. I missed a fly ball and I over ran third to get tagged out even after beating the throw. Dumb me!

Everyone was fawning over my weight loss though so I felt really good about that! :)

I feel like I have a done a bad on here. I have gotten really defensive about the WW points vs calories argument after someone started basically slamming me with I'm right, WW is right, you are wrong. I hate when people, (who the diet is working for) go off on people who it doesn't work for and automatically claim they are being wrong about it. :(

I honestly don't think that, even if the cardio machines are wrong, that I am eating enough calories to cover for the amount I burn off.

I think I will find a place that does that resting metabolic rate test thing and get the real results and go from there. WW is nice and healthy, but at the lower levels, I think it's sorta goofy. Or no, not really. If you are ACTIVE. Like an hour of cardio 6x a week active, I don't think the point system can keep up. Sigh.

Now I am all crabby.

shyangel
05-16-2005, 02:40 PM
I just love having Fridays off. Unfortunately it meant no internet for the weekend because I couldn't get my computer to work at home.

I was so happy that the rain held off this weekend enough for me to get lots of time out in my yard. I don't know how much I accomplished and it wasn't really cardio, but I had a great time. I LOVE THE OUTDOORS! :)

I finally got to the store and bought a new pair of pants that are another size bigger. As much as I hated having to do it and spending way to much money on something so simple, I am much more comfortable today.

Renee - did anything useful come out of the forum discussion on points vs. calories? How many calories do you think you should consume each day? Where do you get your caloric information from (if it nots something in a package with a nutrition label)? I'm sorry the people in the other forum weren't more helpful. It is too bad when people can't be supportive and realize there are huge differences between people. I would agree with you that WW doesn't seem to be working well enough for you. At this point you are probably into good habits and have an idea of what you should be eating and how much. With all of your exercise I would think you are the best judge of what you need. Not eating enough is definitely detrimental to weight loss.

I hope you are all having better weather than me. Renee - has it improved since your softball game? I had a few nice days but then it went back to 50s. I can't blame my lack of exercise on the weather, but it sure doesn't help. Congratulations Renee on winning your softball game! Did you feel any different playing after the weight loss?

What did you ladies do over the weekend?

lilwolfe006
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Hey there Ang - good to see you! Now all we need is a mette! :D

Glad you had nice weather Ang, isn't it such a boost to the spirits? I love the outdoors too. Our weather here can't decide which way to go. One day 80, the next 50, back and forth and back and forth.

With the softball, yeah, it did feel different. I didn't feel like people from the other team would call me 'that big girl' - and my base running was sooo confident it turned over confident! Hee, oh well. I'll remember that for next time.

As for the calorie counter, I am using a pay site called myfooddiary.com and it has a searchable list of foods and stuff, even dishes at restaurants. It's $9 a month and I am not sure I will use it forever. My plan is, that tonight, if I am not down a pound or better at Weight Watchers, to forget points this week and see how I do by counting ONLY calories in vs calories spent.

It's such a damn formula. Sigh, but I am keeping with it at least. I imagine last year I might have said, 'forget this, I quit, get a hamburger' - and now my quitting is only to quit and go to a different way of monitoring my food choices and health issues. :)

Don't fret too much about the pants hon, try to forget about numbers and just base it on 'this fits, this doesn't. This makes me look and FEEL good vs, this makes me look blah.' You'll get there. Summer is sure to help!

Hugs and good luck ladies.

shyangel
05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Renee - it's getting to the point where nice weather here means it doesn't rain. I do want the steady 70s though. It is very motivating though when the sun is out.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember some comments when I played softball about my running being slow. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the weight I was carrying. Now that the first game is behind you, the restof the season should be awesome. Do you have any new softball goals for this year?

Good luck tonight. I have a tough time counting calories because I don't want to weigh things and a lot of the food I make is a little of this and a little of that so it's not easy to determine what's really in it. I got precooked tofu at Whole Foods today for lunch and have no idea how many calories were in it or even if it was healthy. I am amazed at the differences in you since I met you here. You seem to have really turned things around. Hopefully I can take some of that and get inspired.

Tonight is grocery shopping and errands after work. I should go running but after sitting and working all day it never seems to happen. It used to so I'm not sure what is wrong. I just always come up with an excuse. I had errands at lunch so I didn't even walk today.

Enjoy your evenings!

lilwolfe006
05-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Welp, everytime I say WW doesn't work and I am going to change things up, it works. I was down 1.6 this week, which is wholly acceptable in my books for weight loss. The only notable thing I did different was to make sure I eat flex points every day, rather than save them for treats.

We'll see how this week goes too.

Just a quick check in for right now. *phew*

shyangel
05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Congratulations Renee. I think 1.6 pounds in a week is awesome, particularly when you don't really have that much left to lose. It seems like your 'modifications' of WW work well for you. Keep up the good work. :)

Last night it was so late when I got home that I didn't get a chance to do anything outside. I brought stuff to run at lunch time. I hope I don't lose the motivation to go. I've got to start somewhere. Losing this much weight (again) just seems so big. I can't seem to break it down into little goals or steps.

mette - you out there?

shyangel
05-19-2005, 12:19 PM
I finished the first draft of my article (finally) and now I'm waiting for the comments from my coauthor and the two internal reviewers at work. Hopefully I'll get them soon and it won't be too bad. I want the article to be good but I really need to get it out the door in May. For now I have moved on to other work. It's a good feeling to feel like something has been accomplished.

Tuesday I ran at lunch. I was only out for 27 minutes (a little walking but mostly jogging). It's hilly at work and I haven't run in so long that I'm out of shape. I am planning on going again today in about 45 minutes. It's a pain to get back to work after running but I'm going to try and put up with it 2 days a week for now. If I can get running in at home great, but for now I need to start taking some serious steps toward weight loss and health.

Things here are plugging along. How is everyone? Renee - how often doyou have softball games? Are you still helping with the horses? mette - do you work right through summer?

shyangel
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I just wanted to let you know that I went running yesterday at lunch. I did the same route as Tuesday but jogged the whole thing. It was very hilly though (I swear there was more uphill than downhill ;) ) so I think on Tuesday I am going to try and go the other direction. It's not a long route so I need to venture soon to somewhere else.

I'm also thinking of incorporating some Slim Fast products into my diet. Opinions?

lilwolfe006
05-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey everyone!

We got creamed at softball, but at least this time I wasn't the only one who made mistakes. The whole team did! Hee.

I started rollerblading again this week and my legs have new spots to be sore! It's kinda interesting how complex the body is and how one small difference can change what and where you are sore.

Today they are bringing in pizza for lunch, and since I get angry when someone limits the amount of pizza I can have (they aren't, the diet would) I have decided to not have any of it. I don't feel deprived about it- more I feel proud that I can chalk this one up to will power and wisdom. I'll head out to lunch with my sister and get a chicken whopper for 7pts, instead of two pieces of pizza for 10.

I had an enlightening experience this week. A girl friend of mine, who I see as : pretty, skinny, right sized, right shaped, better looking than me etc. - Well she borrowed a pair of jeans that is loose on me, and they were TIGHT on her! I know that my mind is behind my body on where I am - but that was a really good way of sorta kicking me in the pants and saying, 'You see her as attractive and skinny.... why can't you see yourself that way?'

Alright, so work is getting busy now. Congrats on the running Ang, just keep at it and soon you'll have a habit formed again! I sometimes need to go to the warehouse at work, and lately, when I do, I run. It feels good. I wish I could run more than 30 seconds at a time though. :p

shyangel
05-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Way to go Renee for not eating the pizza! :cheers:

Thanks also for reminding me about rollerblading. I have the pads and should go get some blades and use that as a means to workout and get some variety. Do you truly consider it a cardio workout?

Keep working at your self image and you will get there. :) If you want to run you need to stay with it regularly so you can build up your run time versus walk. The first time it takes a little while but you can do it. I'm back to around 2 - 2.5 miles even though I used to run 4. I'm mixing the walking in though as I build back up.

Sorry about softball - hopefully it was fun. I'm doing a Realy for Life walk tonight to raise money for cancer research on behalf of my mother. I'm supposed to walk around the track for an hour. At least I'll get some exercise today. :lol:

shyangel
05-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Welcome to a new week! :)

lilwolfe006
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Hey Ang - man this weekend flew by! I didn't even exercise. I was a total dork and stayed in all weekend and played on the computer.

My sister and I are going to try the Friday night Weight Watchers meeting to see if we can find a group of meeting-ers that we better fit in with. If you are going to get support from it, you need to feel like you belong ya know?

I think on my next weigh in, I will make my 10% goal that they start you off on, and end up having lost 16lbs since March. Slower than I'd like, but really I guess it still adds up pretty fast.

The morning scale on Sat. read 143- and I still can't believe that number actually belongs to me.

What do you suggest for starting a running routine? I'm a little afraid I'd get bored with it - but I like the feel of running. Plus it'd help for softball! Could I do sprints? Like, sprint, walk walk walk, sprint?

Hmm, back to work now. Here's to a good week for everyone!

shyangel
05-25-2005, 01:36 PM
The weekends always go too fast. The bad weather isn't helping. I got out a little to work on my garden/yard but no sun so my mood wasn't the best. No real exercise for me either. Have you worked out this week yet?

I know exactly what you mean about being with a group of people that you mesh with. I think it is one of the reasons why I stopped WW in VA during grad school. I just didn't feel like I fit in with the ladies there. There are too many mothers in my age group - WW and in my community. I really feel left out. :(

Renee - I think your weight loss is great! Remember that it gets much harder as you get close to your goal. You must look awesome! :)

Do you run at all now? There are lots of routines. The best is to get something regular and THEN add hills and interval (sprints) training. For now I would recommend going out for 30 minutes.

Walk (warmup): 5 mins
Run (jog): 1 min
Walk: 3 min
Alternate back and forth for 20 minutes and then 5 min cool down walk. As you feel comfortable with this reduce the time you walk and increase the time you run.

Does this make sense? I'd be happy to give more details if you want and I'm always here as you get going. Right now I am trying to get back into it and I jog 20 minutes, walk 2 min, and run another 8 with a couple of walking mins for cool down. When you can do 30 minutes straight let me know and you can add in intervals and hills. Good luck.

It looks like bf is close to selling his house, which means he will be moving in with me. I think this is great but of course still a little skeptical (always skeptical when it comes to relationships of all kinds).

I should get back to work. mette - I hope you are doing well and come back to us soon. Renee - how is your week going? Work still crazy busy?

shyangel
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Where did everyone go? Any plans for the holiday weekend?

mette
05-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi guys. Remember me??? :^:
Iím sorry I fell off the face of the world there for a couple of weeks! I was completely stressed out by finishing my practice and patients, writing reports and trying to find a job for the summer. Iím very sorry I disappeared so completely, but it was nice to read up on how well you are doing: lots and lots of exercise! :D

I have big plans for this summer too. And I start tomorrow, Monday the 30th.
Itís my own private 12 weeks challenge to lose the rest of the weight: eating right and exercise more.

For the next 12 weeks I will:
-eat about 1500 calories a day (lots of vegetables, lots of low-fat-protein-stuff!)
-do weights 3 times a week (keep on the program Iím doing, try to get stronger)
-do cardio 5 times a week (Iíll start jogging twice a week this summer too)
-get down to 160-165lbs during these 12 weeks

Iíve just ordered ďBody for Life for WomenĒ by Pamela Peeke for inspiration and some new input. Looking forward to that. As for ďThe PactĒ; Iím planning on reporting in daily Ė just to write down and share it with somebody: what and how Iím doing.
I need to focus on losing weight again, and Iím ready to lose the rest of the weight now. :smug:
And it's good to be back!

See you tomorrow!

mette
05-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Good morning girls!
Iím doing my first ďSummer challengeĒ daily report. I went out jogging this morning. And even though I have been jogging on the treadmill in the gym this winter; it really doesnít compare with outdoor-jogging! Really! The hills alone are quite something else...
I now look forward to getting better at jogging *up* the hills! ;)

But at least I have started. Iíll be back again tomorrow, hope everybody is doing well! :sunny:

mette
05-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Good morning again!
Donít mind me; Iíll just keep posting until you all come back to work and get online againÖ :lol:

Yesterday was a good day: I drank lots of water, slept enough, ate 1.554 calories, and jogged for 30 minutes.

This morning I went to the gym to lift weights and do cardio: I did my leg-program first, and then 30 minutes on the elliptical machine.

Iíve been thinking about where the key to success lies (duh!), and I think one of my keys is to write down everything I eat, so I need to find a way to keep writing every day. Itís not as if I fall off the wagon when I stop writing, but I stop losing weight because I eat (a little) more. I want to keep writing and monitoring my calories for these 12 weeks.
I also took before-pictures (in my underwear) today, mostly because everybody (at least Renee) says it's a good thing to do! :p

Have a good day, guys Ė talk to you again tomorrow! :goodvibes

shyangel
05-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Welcome back mette! You have return with quite the resolve. Good for you. Were you able to find a job for the summer? How did everything end up with your practice?

Your plan sounds good. With your history it seems like all of your goals should be attainable. I am also trying to find some resolve. I am very tired of the way I look, feel, and the whole clothing issue (don't even get me started). On Sunday I jogged for 30 minutes and yesterday I went for a short bike ride. I also did a few hours of yard work over the weekend. I have been better about watching what I eat but the weight still keeps coming on. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am hoping to run at lunch for 30 minutes (couldn't get motivated to do it before work) and really concentrate on increasing my exercise, but it is so frustrating. Maybe I should come up with a summer plan for June-August too. Renee - do you have goals for the summer? We could each have our own challenge.

I'll get back to you later with something mapped out. Back to work right now.

mette
06-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Good morning!
Ang, I think that to get smileys in the heading you have to choose from the smiley list below the message-box (where you write): Theyíre called Post Icons.
Good to hear that youíre jogging and biking and doing yard work - summer is nice, isn't it?? :D
Iím sorry youíre gaining weight, what do you think thatís about if youíre watching your eating and exercising more?

Iím on my third day today. Yesterday I did weights and cardio, ate 1.545 calories, drank lots of water and started reading "Body for life for women" Ė Iím not sure what I think of it yet. I have to read a bit more of it before I can have an opinion or take something useful from it, I think.
Today I also did weights (back, biceps, and abs) and cardio (bike), I'm going out jogging again tomorrow morning.

And yes, I did find a job Ė Iíll start June 15th Ė document control and some accounting I think (Itís stuff I used to do before I went back to school, itís easy work to find and do for a short period of time, and it pays quite well too) Iím not too enthusiastic about it, but I think itíll be fine. I just need to earn some moneyÖ :D

Talk to you again tomorrow Ė have a nice day, girls! :wave:

mette
06-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Good morning again. I went jogging this morning, and even if Iím a bit sore from my leg workout on Tuesday it still went a little better than Monday morning. My breathing was a little bit easier.

I also tried for a little pampering yesterday: I had my eyebrows waxed (ouch!) and bought two new work-out tops. So Iím all set for spending summer afternoons in the gymÖ :lol:

Yesterday I did weights and cardio, drank lots of water, took my vitamins, and ate 1.638 calories. It was a bit over plan because even though I eat 5 meals a day (at around 300 calories), I have 6 meals on my going-to-the-gym-days. I have to have something nutritious *before* I go to the gym to lift weights, so I have a shake: skimmed milk, protein powder, banana. Which means I have 240 less calories for the rest of the 5 meals of the day. And yesterday I got hungry and had an extra 100 calories Ė not exactly a disasterÖ

Iíll do better today, I think: Iíll stay within the 1500-1600 range.
Have a nice day guys!

lilwolfe006
06-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I think Mette and I share the same line of existence, only one of us can be around at a time.

Sorry about that. I've been awful.

Work and life is so hectic, and for the past two weeks, I seem to have reverted back to my crappy eating and no exercise habits. It scares the crap out of me!

I keep telling myself that I hop back on the horse tomorrw - then something happens 'tomorrow' and it gets all back to craziness.

Ill try to start coming in and posting - I know it helps! HUGS!

mette
06-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Good morning!
I like Reneeís theory that she and I share the same existence! Even though I hope sheís wrongÖ. :lol: (as in: itís very nice when weíre both here!)
Hopefully youíll get back on track today, and stay there! :goodvibes:

Yesterday I went jogging, ate 1.475 calories, and drank lots of water. I also went to bed at 10 (!), and slept for 8 full hours! I felt completely rested when I got up to go to the gym this morning. It feels really, really good.

Went to the gym and did weights (chest, triceps) and cardio on the elliptical machine, and as of this morning Iíve reached my exercising goals for the week: cardio 5 times and weights 3 times. Iíll do something light for the weekend: some hiking if the weather is nice, some yoga perhaps.

And yes, Renee: posting here every day *does* help - Iíve found that too. Something about being accountable, I think.
Ah, well Ė wish you both an excellent Friday at work!

mette
06-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Well, I think Iím starting to feel a little silly Ė posting here all by my self. Perhaps I should consider only posting when you guys post, and do my daily reports somewhere else. Privately or something. :p

Yesterday I did weights and the elliptical machine, ate 1.563 calories, drank water and ate a lot of vegetables. After almost a week completely on plan, I once again get confirmed that the most important thing for me is to keep recording what I eat. Once I lose sight of how much Iíve already eaten that day I just start eating without plan. And there is no way I can keep at 1500-1600 calories without a plan.

Hope youíre having nice weekends. Iíll come back tomorrow at least, and finish daily reports for week one Ė but I donít think Iíll keep posting alone like this. It looks kind of stupid. :lol:

mette
06-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Well, my first week is almost done, and I have 11 more to go! :D
Itís been a good week too: My favourite part was jogging in the park again Ė even with the wheezing, panting and puffing! ;)

Yesterday I didn't work out (rest-day), ate 1.450 calories and had lots of water. It was an excellent Saturday, and today we have good weather so Iím going out in a little while.

Hope you all have nice Sundays!

lilwolfe006
06-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Nooo, dont' post anywhere else. Weekends are slow posting for me since I do most of my forum hopping from work. And like usual, your posts are encouraging me. I love how organized you are!

This past week I gained 2.2 pounds at weigh in! My god, it takes me 6 weeks to lose that much, and 1 to put it on? That cannot be right - I can only hope it was the two ball park hotdogs and the three beers from the baseball game the night before.

The good news is, I am back into the grind. I really need to find new and interesting foods, I think I am getting bored. Also, my exercise has teetered off. For like 2 weeks now, I just have had no energy or drive - maybe I am fighting a bug.

So Monday. Boss is back from vacation, so my stress level should go down. Woo!
Keep up the good work all.

mette
06-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Good morning!

I started the day jogging in the park Ė and it was truly glorious this morning: sunshine, green and sweet-smelling grass, birds singing, etc etc. Well, yes, and then me - huffing and puffing of courseÖ ;)
But I did run longer than last week.

Renee Ė hopefully the gained weight will disappear just as soon again! I think the morale of the story is to keep away from hotdogs and beers the night before weigh in! :D

To sum up my first week: I averaged on 1.514 calories a day, I lifted weights 3 times, and did cardio for at least 30 minutes 5 times. I also drank lots of water, and got lots of sleep. So all in all a successful first week.

Ah well, talk to you guys again tomorrow.

lilwolfe006
06-07-2005, 10:10 AM
That is great Mette. When you jog, is it jogging for the full time, or do you do walking intervals too?

My weigh in this morning has me back down, so the 'Flash Pounds' as my one friend calls them, seem to be gone. Thank god! Now I feel motivated to keep at it.

I think that I would lose weight better if I had more calories, but I've complained about that for a while. Everytime I say 'if I don't lose well this week at WW' I am just going to use MFD and count calories - I end up doing well.

I've been meaning to plan out my weekly routine and figure in what days will be what exercise. I have completely fallen off that wagon. I did get a 40 minute bike ride in last night, but my sister rides so slow it's not even really a work out for me. I suppose it still counts as motion though.

I also need to get back into strength training, and tone myself up. I am finding some spots, the extra bit of me there, seems more skin related than fat related and I hope some muscle definition will help cover that.

That's it for now!

mette
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Where did Ang go?

Iíve been thinking about making plans for exercise when I start working next week too. For me itís mostly about getting into a routine Ė as long as I know what Iím supposed to do, when and where Ė I will exercise just as I planned to. Itís when I start to improvise and never plan I never get around to anything. This last year has been amazing for me when it comes to working out Ė Iíve never worked out 3 times a week for a whole year before.

Good to hear the weight went away. And yes, I do try to jog for the full time Ė but I have a couple of hills I havenít completely broken yet. Itís my goal for the summer to jog through the whole trip. :smug:

Yesterday I ate 1.388 calories Ė I donít know how that happened since I normally struggle to keep lower than 1.600. I also went jogging. Today Iíve been to the gym and done weights (legs and shoulders) and cardio (30 min elliptical machine). I don't think eating too few calories will be a problem today: I'm starving!

Have a nice day. Talk to you guys again tomorrow. :)

mette
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Well, itís Wednesday and we're almost halfway through the week. Yesterday I ate 1.704 calories, did weights (legs + shoulders) and cardio for 30 minutes. Iíve already been to the gym today and done weights (back + biceps) and cardio. Iíve been doing the rowing machine (for cardio) a couple of times lately, and I sort of like it. Variation is my friend when it comes to cardio, thatís for sure! :p

Hope you guys are doing well too. Iím getting a little worried that Ang disappeared - I hope you come back soon, sweetie! :)

Renee Ė I just wanted to say about skin and fat once weíve lost a lot of weight: it really *does* get better with time and exercise. When I lost weight last summer I did get some loose skin around my belly, upper arms and thighs Ė but through doing weights and maintaining the weight for a year, itís definitely gotten better. So donít lose faith Ė your body will keep changing even after youíre finished losing weight, and Ė as everything else Ė it takes time.

OK. See you guys again tomorrow.

shyangel
06-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Very quick for now - I'm so sorry I have been gone. I took a couple of days off and then the weekend hit (no internet at home). :( It is planting season and my garden is so behind. I have been frantic at home and at work. Deadlines all over the place. I stopped receiving reminders regarding your posts for some reason too, which didn't help. Anyway, I'm back and I'll post more later.

mette - I think it's great that you post everyday. Although I still haven't had time to come up with a plan. I want to and will try to post at least the days I am at work. It sounds like you are doing well. :)

I am in the garden a lot, haven't been running or biking in at least a week because of it. I'm hoping to start lifting weights soon. Been doing some Slim Fast stuff but still no weight loss. At least I haven't gained recently. how sad for me. :(

I've got to work on a paper due Monday but I'll be back. Enjoy your Wednesdays.

mette
06-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Good morning again.

Good to hear from you, Ang. Sounds like planting season in the garden is fun, but stress at work isnít?
As for the reminders regarding posts in this thread Ė I think only one reminder is sent out, and then you have to visit 3FC before youíre reminded again. If you stay away from the site you wonít be reminded of all new posts - just the first one.

Yesterday I ate 1.327 calories Ė but I keep thinking I forgot to write something down. I did weights (back + biceps) and cardio (rowing machine). I drank lots of water, took my vitamins, etc. Today I went jogging. I have two really long and steep hills on my route, and today I almost broke the first one. Maybe next week!

Ang, how is the slim fast stuff going? Do you like it? Do you eat some meals or do you use slim fast instead of every meal? Iím sorry youíre not losing, but at least youíre not gaining either. :^:

Iíll be back tomorrow. Have nice Thursdays.

mette
06-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Well, itís me again. Friday morning and everything.

My summer project is going very well, Iíve almost finished my second week. Yesterday I ate 1.516 calories, went jogging, drank lots of water, and went to bed relatively early. Today Iíve been to the gym and done weights (chest + triceps) and cardio (elliptical machine).

Wish you both nice weekends. Iíll probably report in during the weekend too.

I think that one of the main reasons why this project is going well is because I actually *like* the exercise and food Iím eating. I talked to a friend on the phone yesterday Ė sheís trying to lose weight, trying to start exercising, which for her means to eat food and do exercise she doesnít like. And this is why thereís no way sheís going to last on her regime longer than a week or two. We tried to talk about food she would want to eat and exercise she would enjoy Ė but she doesnít *want* that. She just wants a magic pill (a diet for a limited period of time) so that she can be thin and enjoy her body again Ė she really doesnít want the lifestyle of eating restricted and exercising several times a week. :p

Have a nice Friday. Talk to you guys tomorrow.

shyangel
06-10-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm not even getting reminded at all right now. I dont' know why but don't have the time right now to figure it out. I'll just have to make it a point to visit without the reminder. :)

Stress at work sucks. The garden stress is manageable. At least there is something to look at and be proud of when I'm done. I came up with my new plan for the summer.

Try to eat 1700 calories per day. (Suggested by Slim Fast - next week going to right down everything and I'll report here.)
45 minutes of exercise or 2 hours of yard work 5 times per week.
Weight training/toning/stretching 2 to 3 times per week.

I am back to 206. I've lost the 2 pounds I put on. I'm hoping I'm on the right track. I had a physical yesterday and I'm in pretty good health. If I lose a few pounds the cholesterol should come down and I'll be all set. :)

Congratulations mette on your jogging progress. Have you ever thought of taking one day a week just to do hill training and maybe one day on a different course that doesn't have the steep hills? I believe it is best if you mix things up (different training, different course).

The Slim Fast plan has you eat a shake or meal bar twice a day with about 150-200 extra calories at each meal (e.g. half a sandwich or small salad). You eat two 150 cal snacks and a sensible dinner. I have my cereal in the morning and then use the shakes/bars at lunch with something else. If I don't have milk I'll have a shake in the morning too. It's easy for me and I love chocolate so it's not hard to eat/drink the stuff. It also makes me crave chocolate a lot less because I am getting the flavor during the day. I like it so far and think that if I can keep making changes I should lose something.

I have to say mette that your dedication and consistency is amazing. I think I could do it if I could get some organization to my life. I'm working on that with myself and bf. Stress and schedules don't usually go together for me. I guess I need to look into that more too - how to balance everything.

I think a lot of people think like your friend and you are right that they probably won't succeed. I like many healthy foods and love to be outdoors exercising and working in the yard. It is hard in the winter but if I can schedule my life so I'm not stressed and can do the 'good' things I am actually happier. It's when I get swamped and stressed like this week that I don't make time to go grocery shopping and then I don't eat as well as I should. It is definitely a lifestyle change.

Have a great weekend. Renee, are you out there? I hope you are well. I'll try to get on e-mail over the weekend but I can't promise anything. Take care and enjoy the good weather. :D

mette
06-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Good morning. Another day, another report! :D
Yesterday I ate 1.832 calories, did weights (chest + triceps) and cardio. As usual after doing lying triceps extensions, Iím sore today. Itís one of my favourite exercises. Today I have a rest day, so no exercise for me. Iíll probably go out to enjoy the nice weather though.

Ang, I wanted to thank you for your post yesterday. Your suggestion that I take one day a week to do hill training, and to mix things up more with my jogging Ė is very good. I think one of the main reasons why I stopped jogging last autumn was that I was bored with it, bored jogging the same course twice a week. So after losing the weight I wanted to, I just dropped it and kept the fun exercise (the weights). Iíll change the jogging around a bit this summer.

One very weird thing about my jogging is that I have absolutely no confidence and canít really look at myself as a runner/jogger. I get strangely embarrassed when thereís a lot of people around when I jog, so I prefer to jog in the mornings. But next week when I start working, I have to do my exercise in the afternoons, after work Ė and while I have no problem doing the weights in the gym (I obviously have no problem seeing myself as a weightlifter) in the afternoon, I feel strangely uncomfortable about jogging in the evenings. It doesnít make any sense; I know that. I mean, I have no problem jogging on the treadmills in the gym, no matter how many people are there. Itís all very strange. So this will be a challenge for me this summer: to jog in the park when thereís a lot of people watching me. :fr:

I also wanted to say that your goals for the summer look really good. Iím very glad youíre losing again, but itís even better to hear that youíre in good health! :D

Iím so glad you like the SlimFast drinks, and I totally agree with you that getting something sweet and chocolate flavoured can help with cravings. I do shakes (protein) and bars (protein & snacks) too.

Ah well. Iíll hopefully see you guys next week, but Iíll be back tomorrow for another (exciting) daily report! :hat:

mette
06-12-2005, 09:52 AM
The second week is almost over, and things are still going well. Yesterday I ate 1.520 calories, drank lots of water, and didnít exercise. Itís nice weather again today, Iím going to use the computer room at the faculty later Ė to do literature search for a paper on DSH (deliberate self harming).

Renee, where did you go? Are you never online during weekends anymore?

Iíve been reading Peekeís ďBody for life for womenĒ, but Iím not very impressed by it Ė so it goes slowly. The most helpful thing so far has been her principle of regrouping, and to always have plan B, plan C and plan D when it comes to food and exercise. So that, when our days are stressful and not going according to plan, we donít get paralyzed when the original plan Ė plan A Ė doesnít work anymore. But regroup and try out plan B, then plan C, then plan D, etc Ė until we find a way to eat and exercise that works for us.

Have nice Sundays guys, talk to you again tomorrow.

shyangel
06-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Good morning - at leaest it will be if I get my conference paper done today. It is due today. Yikes!

mette - sounds like you had another great weekend. Please keep me updated on how the jogging goes. Although I am not great at it, I have read a lot and learned a lot at the running club (in case you want more detailed info). I think Renee was going to start jogging too. I wish there was something I could tell you about your perception of yourself as a jogger. The fact is, if you jog then you are a jogger. Most people aren't even paying attention to you while you jog so try not to worry about it. Also, notice during your day the variety of people that you see jogging. Not all of them are 'runners' who complete marathons. Personally I have a lot of respect for anyone that goes out there and tries, regardless of size and ability. Please tell me more after you try it once. I'm sure you have no reason to be hesitant or embarrassed. If I can go out there, so can you. :)

I'm going to really try with these goals. Over the weekend my eating wasn't too bad. I finally got to the grocery store yesterday and bought lots of healthy 'snacks'. Saturday I worked in the yard for at least 2 hours and yesterday I went for a run/walk. I was out for a total of at least 45 minutes but jogged about 28 minutes. Unfortunately some things came up in the morning so I went out at 12:30pm. It was super hot and humid so I think that had something to do with my poor performance. I'll be in the yard tonight and hope to jog tomorrow - I'll let you know.

I'm back to my cereal in the morning (got to look up the calories) and a shake with fruit for lunch. Hopefully I won't be too hungry. The weights may have to wait until next week. I am still too busy trying to finish my garden planting and I'm way behind as it is.

mette - I'm sorry the book isn't better. Are you finishing it anyway just to see if you get another nugget out of it? Do you find reading about nutrition and fitness helps keep you motivated?

I'm interested in this paper on DSH that you are writing. What is it for? What is the emphasis of the paper?

Good luck today to all. I'm off to finish this paper.

mette
06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I have to keep it short today. To sum up week 2: I averaged on 1.530 calories a day, did (at least) 30 minutes cardio 5 times, lifted weights 3 times. Ate vegetables, fruits, drank water.
But like you Ang, Iím not losing weight. I get thinner, but I donít lose weight. I donít know whatís going on.
I donít think Iíll change anything yet Ė I start work this week and will probably need a couple of weeks to get into the new routine. So I aim for the same thing: between 1500-1600 calories, 5 x cardio, 3 x weights.

Ang, good to see you Ė good luck on finishing your paper! Weíll talk more about jogging when we have more time, because I love to hear what you say about it. Good work on your plan this weekend too.

The paper on DSH is one of my last major papers Ė and I chose the topic because itís a continuation on the research project I worked on last summer. Itís about the increasing problem of DSH among adolescents. Itís both very disturbing and strangely familiar Ė not that I ever did that Ė my self destructive behavior as a teenager was bulimia. My focus will be on DSH as a very lousy coping strategy Ė but still a coping strategy that works in some ways.

See you guys again tomorrow.

mette
06-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Renee, where did you go?
Ang, hope you finished your paper OK.

Another day, another report. Yesterday I ate 1.781 calories (I was *starving* and overdid the protein bars), did weights (legs) and cardio for 30 minutes. Today I did weights (back + biceps) and 30 minutes of cardio. Iím slowly getting stronger.
Right now Iím very motivated to work out a lot this summer. Sometimes I get a glimpse of certain parts of my body in the mirror (yesterday it was my shoulder from an unfamiliar angle) and see muscles. And get impressed. And very, very motivated to keep lifting heavy weights and getting the fat off. :p

Anyway. Another busy day today. Have a nice one, guysÖ

shyangel
06-14-2005, 10:24 AM
mette - good luck with your new job tomorrow. How late do you have to work? I know you mentioned exercising after work.

The paper is finished! :) I had some trouble uploading it and it's not my best work, but it is done. Today I am taking the afternoon off to finally finish planting my garden. I still have peppers, cucumbers and some squash and pumpkin seeds to put in. The garden will be smaller than last year (only 160 tomato plants versus 350 last year) but that is fine with me. The main thing is that I have fun, eat good veggies and make enough money to pay for my investment. It's good activity too! ;)

mette - I wouldn't doubt that if you're getting thinner and not losing weight it's more because of weightlifting and redistribution. OK, maybe it's lame but I think it is true. I support your decision to just keep doing what you are doing. You don't want to eat too little and you are working out a lot. My ONLY suggestion would be to increase your cardio to 45 minutes when you can. It has been suggested that 45 minutes is better for fat loss and 30 mins is best for overall health. Just a thought. Are you still walking as much as you were now that you're not in school? If you are than disregard the above because that is a lot of exercise on top of your cardio. I'm also glad to hear that you are making progress in the gym and feel stronger. Your abundant motivation sounds awesome. It is helping me find some motivation too. Thank you. I would conservatively say that I lost a pound. I weighed myself Sunday and this morning and was 205 so I changed my signature. I get motivated by weight loss. I will also be happy as I begin to fit into my clothes again. I do still have to buy a dress for my talk in two weeks though. :(

I feel like I am getting a little bit more stamina. Running was better on Sunday and working out in the yard doesn't make me tired. Yesterday I only had time for about 45minutes in the yard. Today I'll be there all afternoon (taking a half day to finish planting and such). I am drinking lots of water and eating better. I started keeping track of my food at slimfast.com and it seems helpful. I had 630 calories before I got home for dinner. Unfortunately my plans for dinner at home got changed when bf wanted to go out and get something. I had a cup of soup and a little chicken fajita stuff. I'm not sure how I would calculate the calories.

Your paper does sound interesting. I enjoy hearing about other peoples behavior. Sometimes it helps put my own in perspective.

Enjoy your day. I hope busy doesn't mean stressful.

lilwolfe006
06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Hey ladies! I am soooo excited. After last weeks 2.2 gain, I was down 4.8 this week, so I must have lost the flash pounds, AND some. That is the most I have lost in a single week since March! I am not going to get spoiled though.

The sad thing is, the reason for my success, is that I have stopped exercising. I have long assumed that the exercise vs points thing in weight watchers didnt add up right, and this seems to confirm it. I still get out and move a bit, a bike ride here or there, and softball, but no more hour long cardio sessions.

I think I was eating too little, and asking the body to do too much before, and now that I am just eating less, and not asking it to do more, it's working. Again, the sad part on this is that I WANT to be more fit, so I think I am going to have to give up on WW soon and find something that works better. Perhaps MFD. Where I can plug in so many calories, and then so many calories burnt, and make sure I aim for 1300-1700 a day.

How is every one else doing? We've had great weather here, (of course some folks are already complaining too hot) in the upper 80's and lots of sun. We really need rain though, everything is wiltiing.

I head up to Canada at the end of the month, I am already trying to mentally prepare for being 'good' while up there.

shyangel
06-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Congratulations Renee and welcome back. I would ask that you really think about not exercising. I would think that exercising and eating a little more healthy stuff would be a better route. mette - you seem to have a handle on the balance, what are your thoughts?

I'm feeling a little under the weather so I am going home early. I'll try to get on tonight but I may not be back until tomorrow. Enjoy!

mette
06-15-2005, 03:21 PM
So good to see both of you back! :D

Unfortunately I donít have time for more than a quick report. Yesterday: 1.670 calories, did weights (back + biceps) and 30 minutes of cardio. I have to do better on drinking water, especially now that it gets hotter.

Ang: congratulations on losing weight again! Yey for you!!! :woo:
Renee: congratulations on losing weight too!!! :cheer:
It sounds really weird that it takes *not* to exercise for you to lose weight though! Really weird! Being fit is definitely the best goal Ė and I eat more on days I exercise too. I seldom go under 1600-1700 calories the days I lift weights...
Ang: sorry youíre feeling lousy: get well soon! :goodvibes

Iím on my first day at work Ė have to run, just wanted to report in as usual. See you guys later.

shyangel
06-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Yesterday was not too fun but at least I got some rest (although the cats and a coyote kept me up from 3-5am) and am back to work feeling a little better.

I have been getting into this Slim Fast website and using their nutrition log. It is a long time coming but I guess I was ready now. It takes longer at the beginning because I have to put in all my favorite foods but I'm getting it going and if I keep up with it it's not too bad. There is a space for notes, so if I eat something that I don't know the calories I put it in the notes (e.g. if I go out and can't figure it out). It's not perfect but I think it is a good step for me. I found out that I eat about 700 calories or less by the time I get home for dinner (this includes an afternoon snack). My problem definitely occurs at night. I am supposed to eat 1700 calories a day. Yesterday I went to book club and had eaten a small dinner knowing there would be snacks there. 1330 calories going to book club. If I had just eaten one brownie I would have been fine. At least I know my normal eating is good, I just have to stop indulging so much in the sweets at night and keep dinner portions controled.

mette - please let us know how work goes.

I'm so happy we are all making progress. I am still drinking lots of water (>64 oz a day) but no exrcise still since I am under the weather - hopefully tomorrow. Tonight I'll water the garden but that doesn't take much effort.

Renee - are you going to Canada for a vacation? How long will you be there? It's good to hear that you are dedicated to your health that you are going to bring your good habits with you to Canada. I've been thinking about my trip to Las Vegas and hoping to be good and planning on getting some exercise.

What's up with the weather? It was beautiful for a while and now the last couple of days it has been about 50 and dreary. I guess it's a good time to be sick since I wouldn't want to be outside anyway. :)

Take care.

mette
06-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Ang, itís so wonderful to hear you say that youíre ready now. It just shows how this is about finding the right time to make the changes. After the emotional rollercoaster youíve been on the last year with your ex-bf, motherís illness, relationships with your family, and your motherís death Ė itís no wonder you needed time to get ready. Your attitude seems very positive and realistic Ė Iím sure youíll do great.
Finding the way that works for us takes time sometimes. :D

Work seems OK so far, but I have yet to find out what Iím supposed to do. Iím not sure how much work there will be either. Are your job slowing down in the summer too, Ang? So that youíll have less to do and more time to write and do good stuff? What about you Renee? Slow summer?

Yesterday I ate 1.502 calories and didnít work out. Iím going jogging tonight though, and Iím taking Angís advice and will focus on hill training.

Iím still trying to make a good impression at work Ė so Iím off againÖ. :p
Iíll write more this weekend. Have a nice day everybody!

shyangel
06-17-2005, 10:30 AM
My work isn't seasonal at all. To be a good performing I have to be busy. It'll never slow down but after June things will change and shouldn't be as stressful. I don't like presenting at conferences so I'm a little stressed about that (June 28). I'm also not a big fan of travelling (Las Vegas). I am going this afternoon to look for a nice dress for the presentation. :( Wish me luck.

I think I have more time in the summer because of the weather and sunlight. I am happier and push myself to do more fun things. The garden is in the next stages so that's good. Most of the plants seem to be doing really well. Next step...mulching.

Do either of you have some ideas for fun stuff for the summer? Of course lots of activity is in order. :)

I'm feeling a lot better so this weekend I am going to get outside some more
AND start my weight training. Yesterday I ate 1200 calories. I didn't cheat really but had 2 pieces of a small pizza and 2 squares of a Hershey bar with almonds. Maybe not the healthiest choices but not too bad with the calories - unless I calculated wrong. I'm loving this food diary stuff. :D

mette - I'll be interested to hear about your hill training. Good luck.

Renee - what are you doing this weekend? How is work?

mette
06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Iím having an overeating episode today: I canít seem to stop eating. Itís sort of fitting that the last time I overate for several days was when I started my hospital practice in January/February. For me, this has something to do with finding my footing in new routines and jobs, finding new ways to organize my days.

My hill training yesterday went very well, Ang! I focused on a steep and long hill (itís the one Iíve almost been able to jog up on my normal route). I jogged slowly up the entire hill, walked down, jogged up once more, walked down again and actually managed to jog up for the third time in the end. The second time up I was just about ready to throw up, but on the third time I almost blacked out ;) So, yes, I completely overdid it. :D
But walking home (no jogging!) I felt just great Ė dizzy and queasy Ė but I still felt like a CHAMPION! I mean, I jogged up that hill three times!!!

Iím going jogging again tomorrow morning: Iím doing the usual route. Anyway, yesterday I ate 1.851 calories, jogged for (over) 30 minutes, drank lots of water.

Ang: best of luck with the dress buying! Hope you find something cute. Iíll see if I can stay away from food. (Good luck to us both!) :p

mette
06-18-2005, 07:26 PM
:wave: I'll come back tomorrow and write ...

mette
06-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah. So I took the weekend off. I stopped overeating, but I took the weekend off.
Iíll be back tomorrow.

shyangel
06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Congratulations mette on the hill work. That'a amazing. :woo: :bravo: Please be careful though as I don't want you to hurt yourself.

How long did you overeating episode last? How were you able to stop it? Did you do anything this weekend for you?

Renee - what were you up to this weekend?

I bought a dress on Friday night. It is a simple black dress and then a bought a 'sweater jacket' to wear to make it a little more formal and cover my bare shoulders. It should work out for the conference and now I have a little black dress to wear in case bf wants to take me someplace nice. I'm not holding my breath though - that's not our style. Now I just have to go through my closet and make sure I can piece together an outfit or two for the rest of the conference (not as formal but a skirt would be nice).

I went to see my father for the weekend and it through off my eating terribly. I was doing so well and had actually lost a couple of pounds. I don't dare step on the scale. I feel like I have to start over. I didn't make all terribly choices, I was just asked to eat too often and at places I would never pick normally. I got in yard work on Saturday before I left at least and also put in about 30 mins late last night. I'll do about an hour or two tonight because I need to remove all the brush from the tree that is being taken down. I'm hoping to get back to jogging this week. My allergies have gotten a little better.

mette - I know what you mean about adjusting to a new schedule, particularly ones that aren't as flexible as you are used to. I still haven't figured out this work schedule after being in grad school for so long. I'm really not sure I ever will.

I have no motivated to be at work and to do work. I don't know how long I can keep up this charade at my job. It pays the bills for now at least.

I know it's Monday but I hope everyone is doing well.

mette
06-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah. Itís definitely Monday. :s:
Ang, itís so nice to hear that you found a cute dress! I hate going shopping for clothes, so you have my sympathies. ;)

Every time I overeat I relearn that the thing for me is "how to end the episode". For years I thought it was about getting to the point where I never overeat, but I think Iíve finally figured out that itís all about ending it as soon as possible. To do that I remind myself whatís worked for me in the past: writing down what I eat, getting enough sleep, working out the things that bother me (schedule!), and find new fun things to do when Iím bored. I basically have to take a look at myself and my life and figure out what isnít working, what isnít OK.
Itís as if Ė when I get into the routine Ė I just start to do things automatically (eating, sleeping, exercising, etc), but when I start to overeat itís as if I wake up. And find out that things arenít working, and I have to figure out why, and then fix it. And make things feel a little new and fresh again by changing things around a bit. If that makes any sense at all! :p

My summer project is still in progress, but I think Iíll be posting less here. Iím not comfortable posting at 3FC when Iím at work; my computer is out in the open where everybody can see what Iím doing. Iím just a temp there, and Iím really not comfortable doing stuff that *obviously* isnít work related. I do school-stuff (reading articles, taking notes, and researching stuff on more Ďplainí sites) instead, when I donít have anything to do.

And since itís finally summer, I donít want to go home to the computer after work either: I want to stay outside, meet people, do stuff.
Thatís why the daily reports will go away. And itís why my reports from the weekend were missing: I was out doing nothing instead of sitting at home in front of the computerÖ :^:

Renee, did you go on vacation already?
Ang, have a nice Monday at work!

shyangel
06-21-2005, 09:54 AM
mette - I totally understand about posting at work. Luckily I have an office so no one can tell what I'm doing. If I have a few minutes there is no problem getting on the site. Of course sometimes I don't have a few minutes. I do worry that especially with Renee not around regularly and Jessica gone for the time being, what will happen to our 'group'. I will be at a conference next week but otherwise will be around. Please post when you can and have fun. Summer is for outside. :)

shyangel
06-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Renee - are you still around? Hopefully you are also enjoying the summer. I believe it has officially started.

I was outside last night for a while removing brush from the tree that is coming down. It's not really cardio but it uses some muscles and gets me moving. I'm planning on walking at lunch today.

I have been counting my calories online and even though I don't seem to be eating a lot of calories (yesterday about 1300 - I can't believe it was that low) I am not losing weight. I guess more exercise and being aware of water weight is important. I'll keep at it since staying the same is better than gaining.

mette
06-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Ang Ė I donít want to disappear completely from this thread - I do want to keep posting. But right now it looks as if itís just you and me left here?
When do you leave for your conference? Will you be away all of next week? I hope you have a great time!

Your life outdoors in the summer sounds so nice; it makes me want my own (small) garden. A place to drink my coffee in the morning, a place to work a little, have some flowers, a few vegetables Ė or at least some spices. Where I could read under the threes and just relax. Do you ever get to relax in your garden, Ang? Sometimes it sounds as if itís just work for you?

If youíre eating 1300 calories a day Ė youíre really not eating much, and itís weird that you donít lose weight. But I agree with you: maintaining is better than gaining.

I have to go Ė but Iíll look in again soon. Have a nice day everybody!

shyangel
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
mette - I will keep checking in too. I wish I could get the alerts to work again though so I'd make sure I didn't miss a post. Oh well - I'll just post when I can. Hopefully Renee will come back.

I was in Las Vegas this past week, which was why I wasn't around. The conference was boring but Vegas was fun. I ate whatever I wanted and it was nice. I ate good food (and too many desserts) for a change. After two days of eating whatever, I found that I craved good healthy foods and didn't even have dessert the last dinner out. It made me realize that I am feeling like I deprive myself at home and I eat sweets more for psychological reasons and not because I really want them. I'm not sure how, but I definitely need to increase the quality and diversity of what I eat. I think I will eat less sweets that way too and feel less deprived. Sometimes food just gets so boring (and costly if you're not creative).

I need to get back on track after being away. The house needs cleaning, backed up at work, etc. I must start fresh and change my ways (not just eating) though because I am not happy with the way things are and I know I am the only one who can change them.

The garden is usually great and relaxing in its own way. It's not really a sit and read type garden. I enjoy seeing the plants grow (I now have green tomatoes) and tending to something that needs me. Sometimes I walk around my property and just enjoy being outside. It's great for me to be with nature that way. Soon I will get some deck furniture so I'll be able to sit out and read. Right now I read in my sunroom, which is almost like being outside.

You could easily do some potted (or not) herbs that you cook with. They aren't hard.

How is work going? Are you staying with your eating plan? Any additional weight loss? I have realized that I don't lose because I don't exercise enough and mostly because I either eat too little or WAY too much. I need to learn how to regulate consistently in the middle.

I'll ponder over the weekend and let you know what I come up with. Enjoy the holiday!

shyangel
07-05-2005, 01:27 PM
It was so nice to have a long weekend. Although I didn't really do anything for the holiday, I had a relaxing time and spent much time in my garden - weeding! I also met a neighbor who is training for a triathlon with her husband. I'm hoping to go for a bike ride with her over the weekend. This may be a good way to jump start my exercise program.

I walked at lunch. I would've run but my head is killing me (migraine coming on to go with TOM) so I thought walking would be better. Eating has been under control, so that's a step in the right direction. Except for physically hurting while I sit here, my attitude is pretty good. I have a TON of work to do this month but am determined to take a few days off later in the month. Gotta have priorities. :)

I hope everyone is doing well.

shyangel
07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
It always happens that when I decide I'm ready to try and find/make a change, something happens to derails my efforts. This time it was terrible rain, TOM and migraine. The migraine is gone, the rain leaving and in a couple of days it won't be TOM. At least I still have a good attitude. If the rain stays away I'll do a big chunk of weeding in the garden tonight.

I'm excited that I have my first fun trip planned in a long time. In a couple of weeks I will return to VA to visit one of my best friends for an extra long weekend. Can't wait!

Not much else has changed here. Same struggles and same joys. BF situation still stressful but good. Too much work but trying to get things done one at a time.

Hope to hear from someone soon. I hope you're out enjoying life.

shyangel
07-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey there...is anyone still out there? Things here are going along. I'm enjoying the weather and long days tremendously. What is everyone up to?

lilwolfe006
07-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Wow poor Ang, we all left her!

Sadly, my having vanished was not just being busy and good, it was me being totally bad and falling off the wagon. I feel horrible about it, but still can't pull myself back into focusing on food and exercise.

I am going to really try to start, and I should start tomorrow, but then I convince myself tomorrow is a bad day to start, start on Sunday.

I had surgery on my toe on Saturday, permanently removed an ingrown toenail, so I have lost the ability to run and jump and dance until it gets better, and go figure, for weeks I didn't feel like it, and now that I can't, I want to.

Anyway, going to try to get back into checking in here. How's things going?

shyangel
07-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi Renee - I'm so glad you're back. Hopefully mette will rejoin us soon. I am sorry to hear that things have been so tough for you. Did something happen in your life to cause you to fall off the wagon? Hopefully by the time your toe is heeled you'll be raring to go. About how long will you need to be nice to your toe? How is the rest of your life/summer going?

The short answer of how things have been for me is that I am in Virginia right now visiting a friend (so this will be short) and taking a short vacation. I celebrated another birthday since you guys took your hiatus so that was a little tough. I also am getting ready to embark on a new 'attempt' at being healthy as soon as I get back home. I feel relatively motivated so we'll see what happens.

The rest of life is just going along. Work is not fun and too busy but still the same. My garden is doing well so that's rewarding, although a ton of work. The bf is still around, which is good. The summer is going by way too fast but I'm enjoying the nice weather.

I hope to hear from you again soon (and mette). I check in regularly but can't get the notification option to work anymore so I have to rely on remembering to check in to see if anyone has posted. I'll be back soon though (Tuesday or Wednesday). I hope you had a good weekend and found that one of these days was a good day to start. Just take small steps. :)

Take care of yourselves and enjoy the outdoors while you can!

shyangel
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, I don't know where everyone is but hopefully you're having fun.

I am back into regular life after getting back from Las Vegas. I have started picking lots of veggies so I am eating more fresh veggies, which can't be bad. ;) Unfortunately spending so much time on the garden means that I'm not making time for exercise. I need to remedy that.

What has everyone been up to? I'm status quo with weight but in general a little happier with life. I'm considering doing this bike/run/paddle race with people from work but it's $50 and I'd have to get dedicated to training. The bike segment that I would do is 22 miles. I'd be in in a second if I felt like I fit in better at work. Do you think I should do it? It ends up being a whole day thing since we support the rest of the team when we're not in the race. Did I mention I'd get a free shirt? :) I'm just not sure.

I hope to hear from someone soon. I'm also thinking of starting WW on Aug. 1 and wouldn't mind some opinions or advice.

lilwolfe006
08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Hey Ang, hope you still check in here. I am currently doing weight watchers and it is a sound program. Hey, since I am so forgetful checking in here these days, would you like an email that you can send stuff to?

I just recently signed up for Weight Watchers ETools, which lets me track online everything I am doing, but you need to also attend meetings to get that. (ANd it it still Extra $$)

I would recommend doing the meetings though because there is something about it that really makes it work better when you do it that way.

Anyway, was just thinking about you (all you guys) and thought I'd drop a line in.

shyangel
08-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Renee - I did get the e-mail saying that you had posted. If you want to correspond by e-mail that would be good. You can post it here or send me a private message and we'll chat more. I'm still hoping mette will come back but...if she does I should get the alert.

I just started WW today with a friend. We're going to try and support each others efforts and hold ourselves accountable. It's been a while though so I don't remember any of the points. I guess I'll be calculating some this weekend.

Have you tried any of the WW forums here? I haven't looked too hard but am not sure which would be the best for just starting out. I don't know if I want to join an already established group, particularly if I can't post everyday.

I hope you are doing well. It was good to hear from you.