South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #1  

Question The South Beach Diet Cookbook

Hi everyone does anyone have this cookbook? I ordered it on Amazon.com and I saw mixed reviews for it. I figured if im going to buy all of the S Beach Diet books that might as well be added to my list . Does anyone have it? Do you like it or hate it? I saw that we have great recipies here on Fat Chicks on the beach but I need a new printer and cannot print any pages out right now. Thanks in advance I am also looking for cookbooks that are compatible with the SBD
Old 05-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Carol, I don't have the cookbook, but ... have you seen this thread? There's a downloadable cookbook link there. I know you can't print right now, but you could at least have it downloaded to your computer...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53891
Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #3  

Thumbs up

Ellis you are soo precious! Thank YOU! I will DL right now
Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

You're most welcome. To clarify, it's not THE cookbook. But it has a lot of stuff in it.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #5  

I appreciate that info and I can't wait to get a new printer soon!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ellis, thanks for finding that...I would have had no idea where it was!

Carol, that's another cookbook, so I'd still order the SBD cookbook (SBC, as I call it at home...)

I have it and use it often. In fact, I'm making the spice rubbed chicken fingers from it this week. I make a tzatziki sauce (I posted it in the forum) to go with and put it in a pita. Very yummy! I think the cookbook is great...there are definitely some "high falutin'" type recipes that I wouldn't make unless I had a dinner party planned, but there are lots of everyday favorites in there too. It's like any cookbook...a couple things you love and make often, lots of things you are willing to try, and a couple things that aren't right for you. I think it's a great resource, and it gives you lots of ideas for ways to modify other recipes.

I've been getting cookbooks from the library to test them out before buying. There are several that are easy to modify for SBD. One is called The Good Carb Cookbook, Eating Low on the Glycemic Index. Another is Fabulous Foods with Splenda. I love Cooking Light (though May is a dud, SBD wise [huge article on cakes] and for me, as it's chock-full of seafood, which I dislike) and find it easy to SBD-ize their recipes. You can find their 'yearbooks', which compile all the recipes from the magazines for the past year, in your local library, I would think.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/172/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi,
I have the SB cookbook and have made several things from it. They were delicious. I use it mostly to understand how I need to modify my recipes for SBD.

Amy
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I agree, Amy...it really helps me understand how SBD looks in practice.

It also gives me ideas for what Phase 3 will look like.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #9  

One of my favorite recipes in the cookbook is the Sesame Asparagus. It is also good with green beans but I usually add about a minute to the cooking time.

There are some really good chicken recipes. I really like the 5 Spice Chicken. The Chicken Capri is good too as is the Souffle Chicken. There is a recipe for meatballs with a vegetable sauce that I was making quite a bit until my son decided he was tired of spaghetti. I bet I could do it with penne and he would enjoy it again.

There is a salmon recipe that also uses Chinese 5 spice powder that is really good. There are quite a few recipes that I use but I don't remember what they all are.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #10  

Thumbs up

Thanks so much everyone! I am looking on Amazon.com now for some more recipies, I feel so blessed to be here with everyone that has come before me (((Hugz))))) Thanks again for the helpful info
Closed Thread