Weight and Resistance Training - LWL #202 May 9 - 15

View Full Version : LWL #202 May 9 - 15

Mel
05-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Good Morning LWL! It's beautiful and :sunny: here, finally.
I hope all the moms had a lovely Mothers' Day. I did the usual cardio, laundry, shopping, etc, then went rollerblading for a while. I actually went somewhere on the newly empty roads around our local college, instead of just practicing in a parking lot. Dinner was tuna steaks cooked by me, but delicious and totally on plan :)

Let's make it a great week!

Chest and cardio for me. Time to change my lifting plan for chest...I'm not sure what my new goals are, but I think I've maxed out on bench pressing for a while!

Mel

Greekgirl
05-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Good morning LWL!

Mel even though you are a minimun of 7 hours behind me, you STILL managed to beat me to it!

I have been busy revising my fitness plan over the last weeks, as I had becom sluggish and weak. The bad back this winter made me realise that I HAD to get back on track again so I have set up an ambitious (but not too) program to get really fit again: 4-5 days of which 3 weights and aero/cardio and 2 aerobic exercise (mowing our lawn with a little electric lawn mower I had to push up and dow our "rustic" lawn for 3 hours, counts, as well as painting the garage for 2 hours).
Weights day today looks like this:
3x20 biceps dumbell 4 kg
3x20 biceps 10 kg barbell
3x15 triceps dumbell 4 kg
3x15 triceps rope
3x15 triceps barbell bench
3x20 side raises 4 kg
3x15 barbel 15 kg
3x15 back raises 3 kg
+30 to 60 min cardio
Eating is clean but pretty high carb (only about 25 protein), 5-6 meals day. I have noticed I become EXTREMELY hungry in between meals if I eat to little carbs, so I try to see what works best for me.
In 5 weeks time I have lost my back ache and upped the weights easily. I get more muscle tone already. Haven't weighed myself yet, will have to do this in the long run, too...
What do you think?

Have already got a bit of a tan from working in the garden...

Vassiliki

Ilene
05-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Vassiliki/GreekGirl :wave: Welcome back... Your plan looks good... I find that if I limit carbs that I get very hungry between meals too. I make sure though that when I do eat carbs that it's a very low glycemic carb, only a limited portion like a level half cup of brown rice, no cheating because those heaping full half cups add up after awhile...Then I also eliminate the carb from my supper and eat a LOT of vegetables...

Today I did LEGS !! :strong: it felt good... I did many many :sumo: squats on Bosu balls, I should be nice and sore tomorrow :dance:...:D...

Good morning Mel :wave: ...

:coach: Where is everyone !! :?:

LKTS
05-09-2005, 01:33 PM
To Tiki from last week's thread: Enterprise is the current incarnation of Star Trek. Sadly, the writing is pretty bad and it is getting canceled.

I'm up this morning, which is about all I can say. Rain here again, boo, so I dunno when I'll get my walking in. At least I can start lifting again this week, yay. More later, happy Monday all!

tikanique
05-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

At Bally's yesterday, I decided to treat myself to a protein shake and noticed that Sylvester Stallone has a line of nutritional products. I bought a 4-pack of vanilla protein pudding (20gs protein, 2 fat, 2 carbs). The first bite was REALLY good, the rest were okay, but it will definitely make a nice addition to my diet. I was afraid of the chocolate kind. If it is TOO good, then I'll be craving chocolate. If its nasty, then I'll be disappointed. You can't really go wrong with vanilla.

Tiki

Mel
05-09-2005, 09:15 PM
OK! I have a new goal! Today's gym fun was one arm push-ups. I decided I'm bored and maxed out on bench pressing. Since I had a dentist appointment right after my workout, I figured it was probably the best time to go ahead and try it. I put an airflex pillow down just in case...and did 3 on each side. Damn, the suckers are HARD! How do those fitness chickies do them so easily and smile and wave at the same time? I was scared to even try it at first. It think I probably looked more like I was going to lose it than smile. New goal: 10 each side, with a smile and wave while switching arms!

Tiki- I've seen Stallone's products advertised all over but haven't tried them. He had a huge booth at the Arnold this year, but you couldn't get anywhere near it because of the mobs of gargantuan bodies.

Laura- I've been a Star Trek fan for years, but refused to watch Enterprise after the first episode. It was just terrible! I really miss Jean-Luc!

Ilene-Sounds like a great leg day :strong:

GreekGirl- That's a lot of reps there, at the same weight.

Gotta run,
Mel

Zapphire
05-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Hehe.No excercise for me today.My diet is also pretty high carb too.

Anyways the area around my shoulders and chest is a bit sore from yesterday's workout.I'm so proud of myself for the effort yesterday.I felt like this little smiley: :wl: I just need a bit of rest today.

wkgirl
05-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi everybody!
Hope you had a good week and a sunny mothers day! I took the weekend off from the gym and need to get there today....dont know if it will happen though, so i will resort to pushups and weights at home :(
between unpacking from moving and my son screaming right now Ive been feeling a little :dizzy: :mad:
so i will make a goal of getting to the gym 1 thing tomorrow to do legs.......
see you all later!!
Karla

4rabbit
05-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Hi LWL,

I had a great mothers day, so great that I did not do anything yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to stay on track this week. For today: 20 mins jog and 45 mins lifting. I did a full body workout with dumbells & barbell. I did not do much last week because I am lightheaded & a bit dizzy for no reason that i can see at all, so i decided to take it easy untill this dizzyness passes.

Greek girl, what is "triceps barbell bench "???

have a great day,
rabbit

Greekgirl
05-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Good morning all!

went to the gym yesterday and did arms and shoulders.
I try to do a lot of reps these days, Mel because I am one of those rare females with a tendency to get pumped up easily, no sweat. In addition to this I have a lot of excess bodyfat at this moment + I am very strong. I am also at the beginning of a new program after being a a semi-couch potato for health reasons this last winter. I try to max out with the highest weight with generally 15-20 reps in 3 sets for the moment (which I agree is generally way above average, only it works so well for me at this point).
4Rabbit, triceps barbell bench, forgive my slightly rusty English after a year in France, means: you lie down on a bench, with the barbell in outstretched hands. You then lower the barbell to your forehead by lowering and bending your arms at the elbow. I kinda forgot what this exercise is called in English, it's a classic anyway.

I have been doing my program for 5 weeks now and seen fast results: I have lost part of the cellulitis on my legs, my waist is thinner and my bra straps don't slide down my arms any more. I am changing the program every 3 weeks so eventually I will go down on reps per set. This is the first time I have tried oing it this way, But I am seeing fast results so I am going to stay o on this track a little more. it's starting to show to strangers at the gym too, got a compliment yesterday...

Today i have to take one of the kittens (female) to the vet to be sterilized, which will set me back a whopping 230$ including microchip. This really hurts!
Anyway, they are worth it. I taught them to "sit" on command last week in no time. Now, everytime I say "sit", they sit back on their haunches like dogs. It's adorable.

Have a nice day, it's spring!

Glad to be back,

Vassiliki

ellenuw
05-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I am recovering from Mother's Day and getting back on track. DH's B-day is next week so I havre been in Stealth mode gathering all the necessary prezzies. Last night I went to a Knife class and ended up getting a set of good ones (Wusthof Grand Prix II). Finally. The last straw was last week when I cut an apple and it went flying across the room. Pretty good clue it is time to invest in some good ones :D So, after doing the cost/benefit analysis I decided to get the 9 piece set. Now I just have to figure out what to use the 5 I've never heard of before last night. Is there a 200 level class??

Exercise is going very well. I am trying to get into the DCFit swing and trying to figure out how to balance with other cardio. Should I be? I lift 3x a week, run 4x a week - should I be tring to get in 2-3 days of elliptical, walking or bike, too?

Thanks - wishing you all a great week.

Mel
05-10-2005, 08:58 AM
GreekGirl- Now the lifting scheme makes sense :) The tricep barbell exercise is a "skull crusher" in English.

Good morning!

Mel

tikanique
05-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

For some reason I shot out the bed this morning like a bullet from a gun, all fired up and ready to workout. I got my Tae-Bo in am planning to get in a walk at lunch. Last nights dinner was VERY filling, but too high in starches I think. I had green beans w/salsa as soon as I got home. The actual dinner was chicken breasts, grilled onions and corn and a yam with cinnamon and nutmeg. I was totally afraid that I would not be able to get up this morning on time to workout. Maybe that's why I was so eager to leave the bed.

I love skull crushers! I feel so strong when I do them! I've seen people do them with a barbell but I am not that brave....YET!

Tiki.

teapotdynamo
05-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey, LwL! I've been a naughty lurker lately after a sorta bad stretch with my eating (vacations do me in every time!) where I gained (gasp!) 5 pounds. :( Luckily, a lot of it must have been water because I lost 2 1/2 right off the bat. Anyway, I do know that these are the times when I REALLY need to post, but I get embarrassed...

I'm in a bit of a rut this month and need a jolt, particularly with cardio, which has been boring me to tears. I'm really enjoying things like my belly dancing class, which are good exercise but aren't hamster-wheel repetitive. When spring gets in full swing, I'm sure I'll do more outdoor stuff too. Mel, you've inspired me -- I used to be a fantastic rollerskater. Maybe I'll get some rollerblades!

Eats have been really good since I got back from Florida. My husband made the best salad with seared scallops last night -- it has almost zero fat but so much flavor!

Glad to hear everyone is well. Sorry I've been a stranger.

p.s. Mel, I feel like such a weakling when I hear about your gym exploits! Body-weight benchpressing? One-handed pushups??? You're my hero!

LKTS
05-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi all,
Skullcrushers make me nervous. I would have to do them with like 2 pound weights. :lol:

Ellen, I'm still fiddling with my schedule that includes the marathon training. My instinct is that it's the only cardio I'm going to do, aside from my Nia class, while I'm training. Of course, I'm walking so it takes a lot longer and I don't really have time to do much else :)

Had Nia class yesterday and got some walking in; did my legs/back new split this morning. With a late work start on Tuesdays and Thursdays now I'm working out in the morning which I normally never do. Went ok once I got myself up and to the gym, though!

mox
05-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Trying to exercise in the morning before work, that is. (Fooled everyone, right!?!) :p I've decided after many many months of trying, that I'm just not a morning person, and that it makes it even harder for me to be consistent with my exercise when I add the pressure of getting to the gym before work.

So, I've taken a look at my calendar and rearranged some things so that I can go in the evenings after work. I know that I'll have to be diligent about not planning too many after work events, but at least I can stay up late and sleep in a little, which is what my body wants to do anyway!

During physical therapy yesterday my trainer had me jog on a bouncy treadmill -- it was hard but fun, almost like running on a trampoline. I realized 2 things: (1) I have quite a ways to go to get into shape and (2) I should have worn an exercise bra. :o

Otherwise, things are going well. Good to see everyone else doing so great. Here's to spring!

tikanique
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
OUCH!!!!

Tiki.

artmaker
05-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Quick hello to y'all. Haven't been on the computer as I had the arthroscopy on my knee last Wednesday, and couldn't manage the steps to the basement. All seems to have gone super well....never had any pain or fever, and depending on the time of day, can now manage a fairly reasonable walking gait. Only used the crutches for the first two days. Have been feeling so good it's been hard to stay still, but after a phone call to the nurse in which she warned me of the dire consequences of too much walking around I have been trying to be a good little vegetable. I see the doctor on Friday and he will tell me how I need to proceed in terms of rehab. I've been trying to get a little bit of upper body in, but my body obviously has needed to rest and I find myself getting tired very quickly. So....hope everyone is doing well....happy belated mother's day to all you LWL mothers. grandothers, or mothers to be, and hello to everyone else....will be writing again soon.

Ilene
05-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi Susan :wave: nice to see you're recouping well...

Mox -- you just must do what works for you... I must admit that now that I no longer go to the gym at 5AM I am much less tired throughout the day. When I was going to bed so early I was trying to force myself to sleep when I wasn't really tired and in the long run I would fall asleep later... Hope your new plan works...

I've had a good day... I jogged to the gym, did back and biceps at the gym... when I got home I ate of course, then I cleaned the driveway with the new power washer ... You know summer is here when Ilene comes out to waste water on cleaning her driveway :lol:...I love doing that better than gardening, I know I'm pathetic :?: :lol:... When we first were married and I did this DH used to say all I needed was a beer, a beer belly and muscle shirt and a :smoking: , what a guy...

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weather if it's nice around where you are...:sunny:

Mel
05-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi Susan :wave: I'm so glad to hear your surgery went well. Take it from one who didn't follow doctor's orders to rest- take it easy! Your body (all of it) really does need to recover. :)

Hi mox.

Mel

Greekgirl
05-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Good morning!

no workout yesterday as I had to take the kitty to the vet. Did not even go to bed early, so am yawning at work this morning.
Susan, about starting too early, you are right: like Mel I have made the same mistake and paid for it.
Ilene, going to the gym at 5 am? is that possible? Probably because it's France, my gym opens at 09.00 and closes 21.00, but even in Athens it "only" opened 08.00-00.00. Wow!

Yawn

Vassiliki

tikanique
05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Greek Girl,

My gym actually opens at 4AM and there are quite a few people in there. The earliest I have arrived is 4:30AM and its a great way to start off the day. This morning, I was supposed to go in early but opted for the additional 2 hours sleep since I got into bed late. I hate going to the gym at the end of the day but oh well, that's where I will be at 8:30 tonight.

Tiki.

teapotdynamo
05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
I hate going in the evenings, too. The morning crowd is very nice and down to earth, but somewhere between 4 and 7, the gym is suddenly transformed into Crunch Meat Market (TM). Once I *literally* saw a guy doing pushups OVER what I assume was his girlfriend. It never seems like people are working out, instead walking or standing around with Prada bags and full faces of makeup. It's gross and is a major incentive to go in the mornings! Plus, I definitely find I feel and eat better all day knowing I've already gone. But hey, whatever works for you! My friends all go in the evenings and think I'm nuts to get up so early. :dizzy:

Sashenka
05-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi,

I go to the gym mostly during lunch time. No, after lunch - like around 2 PM. I found out that lunch time is good too but much more people and NO parking around. So I go around 2 PM. I have a buddy who goes with me from work. Recently I started to bike to work - so my only hope is that she will drive me to the gym.

Today I did 30 min morning yoga - if you are NOT a morning person like I (I like to wake up early but I totally dislike to do any exercise before 10 AM except walking) - yoga is for you. I do gentle stretches, spinal twists and inversions. Also warrior poses. Today is my biking off day as my kids have swimming lessons and tomorrow - o, heaven, I work from home and probably do power yoga for 1 hour at least. Today though I will go to the gym and do UBW.

Hope everybody does well - I hope you recover quickly, art!

LKTS
05-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Susan, glad to hear that your surgery went well. :cool:

I'm not a big exercise in the morning person either. I would never get myself up before 7 or so for anything short of mortal danger to myself or my loved ones. But since I'm now not starting work until 10 on Tuesdays and Thursdays I thought I'd try doing weights before work. It went ok, but there were more people at the gym and I felt kinda crowded. Leg day yesterday, and I sure can feel it today, yikes.

ellenuw
05-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey, Susan, great news on the surgery. Take your time getting back, we'll still be here waiting for you :lol:

OK, so this was my third buns and Thighs class followed by a training session that I came out of exhausted and starving. I told my trainer I thought I needed to drop the B&T but (oh no) he so graciously offered to move my training sessions to the afternoon. Rats, foiled again. I will have to think on this - I like the class but it is hard. I really don't like working out in the evenings (Mox, I am your opposite) and I've never tried an afternoon. Can't do B&T next week because of a doctor's appointment. Maybe I'll try the week after. Hmmm

Greekgirl
05-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I like working out in the evenings because it winds me down after work.
The mornings I like because can concentrate better and there are less people around. As far as I am concerned, REALLY early morning is for sleep. i just cannot get up that early because I never go to bed before 23.30.
My gym is pretty relaxed with the occasional person walking around making eyes at the other gender, but also full of people having fun. I like chatting with people as I am a very social person, but when I need to concentrate, I do it. I have taken to learning French bussiness vocabulary while riding a stationary bike (new ones, with REAL comfortable saddles in stead of those slim mountainbikey ones) when I'm not in the mood for blabber.
Tomorrow is back and chest day, wish me luck!

a bientot (see you soon)

Vassiliki

ellenuw
05-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I like working out in the evenings because it winds me down after work.

Vassiliki - my husband feels the same way. How cool is it that you know what works for you - the secret is to follow the plan that is in tune with your rhythms so you stick to it. YAY to you!!

tikanique
05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Susan,

I don't know how I missed your post. Glad the surgery went well. Now take care of you cause you are the ONLY you that you have.

I'm sitting here trying to get motivated to go to the gym. I ate dinner LATE last night cause cheer practice ran way over. I didn't want to eat late again, so I ate as soon as I got home. However, now I'm full, warm and wanting a nap instead of a rack of weights. Sigh, guess I better move my butt!

Tiki.

Mel
05-11-2005, 10:29 PM
When I worked out at home years ago, I would get up at 6 and lift and ride the stationary bike or do Nordic Track, or run. Since I joined and now work at my gym, I think I only attempted to lift once before 8am and I have the scars to prove it :o I've occasionally trained people at 6 and 7 am, but sometimes I don't recognize them a day later :lol: Luckily, I usually have no clients from about 1-3 and that's when I do my workout. The downside is that the gym is EMPTY...and it's hard to generate energy and enthusiasm in a totally empty gym! Now that the colleges and universities are finishing, we are starting to have a trickle of student members at odd hours, so during my leg workout today I was giving some squat pointers to one 19 yr old newbie. The students can opt out of paying for the fitness test and "complementary" session with a trainer. In most cases, they are student athletes who come in with a lifting program from their coaches, so it's OK. But this guy seems to have joined a gym with no experience what-so-ever, and I was afraid he was going to really get hurt. Other than him and one old geezer on a treadmill who kept staring at me lunging up and down the hallway, the place was deserted :dizzy:

My legs are going to be screaming tomorrow.

Food was OK today- I was starving for the past few days, and finally just ate more today. All on plan, but more. Oh well, it was leg day.

4rabbit
05-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi LWL,

Susan-glad to hear you are doing well in ercovery. I join all the rest in urging it to take it easy for a while.

Mox- I work out as soon asI get out of bed, and in my bedroom. I tried to do it some other time but the result is that i just don't work out. Overhere no way the gym would be open like 5 am. I guess it's more like in france, so open at 9 am. But I don't go there because apart from apparently only having 18 year old trainiers with navel piercings, they also put up a lot of posters showing a very obese lady and advertising their weight loss class with "loose 10 kg 922 pounds0 in 10 weeks". So i quit there, and now i workout in my owm time in my own place. it's been 1.5 year since i set foor in there and i believe I work out better at home.

Vasiliki, thanks for the explanation, I'm going to try that some day !!

Did 1 hour jog yesterday and UBW + 40 min jog today.
My scale don't budge but I am a happy camper anyway: "loose pants"!! today.

have a great day,
rabbit

tikanique
05-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Rabbit, don't loose pants feel great!??!?! Good attitude on the scale, just keep plugging away.

I made it into the gym last night, tried a different one than what I normally go to and it was cool! I got there at 8:45 so the "dating scene" was just about done. I liked the music better, I love the equipment there and since it was so late, I had virtually NO wait time for the machines and weights I wanted. I may change my workout schedule for the rest of May and first part of June to allow myself to get into this gym at 8:30PM. Means more sleep for me, and better looking hair during the day since I won't get it all sweaty first thing in the morning. Being cute is important, ya know!

Tiki.

LKTS
05-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Rabbit, :cheer: on the loose pants, isn't that a great feeling?

Mel, I love working out when the gym is completely empty :dizzy: Tiki, I used to workout in the late evening too, but now that I have to get to work early most days I'm afraid it would keep me up. Would be nice to not have to do it before or after work, though.

Still a bit of DOMS from Monday's leg workout, yikes... I love that "can't really sit down gracefully" feeling, don't you? :lol:

tikanique
05-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

Hope your Friday the 13th is going smoothly. Mine's is going great so far. I tried a new Pilates tape this AM. Definitely different from punching out the air with Tae-Bo.

Tiki

Mel
05-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Phew- Friday is almost over, dinner is in the oven. Today I did back and sluggish cardio. Can't get too sweaty between clients ;) I love back day- my lower back tendons have been really sore lately but lifting doesn't seem to make any difference. I did a real "old school" workout today. No balance work, no leaping around, no stability balls...just plain ole heavy metal :)

Three clients this morning, then I was outta there! I'm doing Continuing Ed credits for my recertifications, so I unfortunately spent the afternoon in front of the computer re-learning all the bones and muscles...I think that's why my back hurts!

Hope everyone had an uneventful Friday the 13th, and is looking forward to a good weekend.

Mel

WaterRat
05-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi all! We are back from a wonderful 3 weeks in the UK. :) I did no formal workouts, but we did tons of walking. Haven't weighed myself yet, just waiting for the water retention from 15 hours on a plane to subside. :lol: I must say that lifting weights made a huge difference in my ability to heave my suitcase around too! We did our whole trip on public transportation - with an occasional taxi - so there was a lot of suitcase carrying up and down stairs in the tube stations. We came home to a sick kitty (abscess that burst) and have been dealing with the resulting surgery to debride and suture it. We now have 10-14 days of dealing with her as a conehead. Always something isn't it? Back to the gym probably tomorrow, and - sigh - back to work on Monday.

tikanique
05-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey Pat,

Welcome back. Glad that you had a great time. Will we see any cool pictures? And sorry about the sick kitty. I bet she is glad to have you back as well.

I keep forgetting about the differences in weights between the various gyms. At my usual Bally's I can tricep press over 140#. So last night at the more modern Bally's I got on their machine, fastened the belt, set the pin at 140, went to push and NOTHING would move. I lowered it to 130, same thing. I could only do 120 and it was a HARD 120. Couldn't do 10 reps, only 8. Same thing on chest press. Couldn't do more than 85 lbs whereas at the normal place I'm pressing 105. I'm doing back and the dreaded biceps today and will go to the modern one again just to see how much the weight varies between the two places.

Or maybe I can actually lift those heavier weights and it was just Friday the 13th playing tricks on me? Hmmmm......

Tiki

Zapphire
05-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Well,I worked out Thursday.Maybe I'm crazy but I'm seeing gains in muscle,especially in my upper arms?

Yup,I'm crazy.I am just starting! :dizzy:

RavenToy
05-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Heyos.. been a *LONG* time since I've been around. Mind if I jump back in? Started out with shoulders/arms this morning again for the first time in about 9 months. Used extremely light weights because after all, I do want to be able to use my arms for the next couple days. :D

tikanique
05-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow! Hi RavenToy. Sure hop back in. I am sure you will be back lifting your previous weight before you even know it. I know when I took a break, when I got back in it was like my body kind of remembered what it used to do and wanted to get back there.

Tiki

LKTS
05-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Welcome back, Pat, and hi Raven!

tikanique
05-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Sunday morning - house is quiet, kids are gone, gloomy outside - definitely a day for chicken noodle soup, good movies and a blanket. HOWEVER, I didn't get in my weight training yesterday so I have back and legs today to stay on schedule so its off to the gym for me. Maybe when I get home, I can shower, make a good bowl of oatmeal and THEN crawl under my blanket.

Tiki

ellenuw
05-15-2005, 11:58 AM
I hear you, Tiki. We have a rainy day scheduled here, but tickets for the Nats/Cubs game, so off we go for a "soaking" afternoon. At least our seats are under cover. I'd rather hang out with you and watch movies ;)

2nd weekend of DCFit - I did 4 miles in 54:09. It was a slow pace for me, but I was laughing so hard with these two women that I didn't want to leave them. I was in a 3:1 interval group. Next week I may try the 4:1 interval and slide back to the 3:1 if I get too tired during the 5 miles. My ankles were a little sore last night but fine today. So, as far as running and the "firecracker effect" (that is what we are calling it in our house): yes for 3 miles or 5K, yes for 4 miles, no for 2 miles (last week). :dizzy: I love running!!

Next week should be a good week - see the doctor on Wed and hopefully he will clear me for the marathon. My fall-back is a half. I will try to do all my runs, weights and yoga sessions but no Buns and Thighs and see how that works. Turns out it is good I did not try to register for Marine Corps as our friends (that we introduced) have picked that weekend to get married in Lake Placid. I am so happy for them and have never bee nto that part of New York. Serendipity, I guess.

Welcome home Pat - I missed you. Sounds like a great trip and great results weight-wise. Walking is amazing, espcially in a foreign place. And glad to meet you Raven and Zapphire.

RavenToy
05-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks Tik - It's funny... you don't know how much you miss it till you start doing it again. I woke up this morning to mild soreness in my arms. Means I probably could have lifted a little heavier, but hey .. I needed a base line, you know? :) So.. did you get to the gym?

Ellenuw - Nice to meet you, too :) What is DCFit?

Yesterday I went riding and did my bareback trotting workout. :p Today for me so far... lots of water and Couch-to-5K Week 3 Day 2. Another thing I'd forgotten, how good sweat feels. :s:

I may attempt a baseline back/chest routine, but I'm not sure yet. That might be better done tomorrow morning before work.

BF is coming home from a week away to visit his mom. Chili's salad is on the menu for dinner. I *love* that caribbean grilled chicken salad!!

tikanique
05-15-2005, 02:51 PM
"Firecracker effect?" too funny! With all your "firecracker" workouts, you don't need Buns and Thighs anyway.

Yeah I made it to the gym and hurt my dern back like an idiot PLUS made a fool out of myself. I missed my back workout so I combined it with leg day, which was a bad move. Then, I tried a new exercise - split squats - after finishing my back exercises and angled leg press work which means I tried something new while not at my freshest which is even badder. THEN I was alternating split squats with my regular squats but was being too lazy to remove the weights from the bar after each set of squats so I didn't get the form down perfect for the split squats because the weight was too high on those which was the baddest thing of all. After three sets of the splits and two sets of squats, something on the left side of my back said "**** No!" and it started to ache like crazy. I lightned the weight and my back still said no so I just skipped the last set and went to calves. After my first set on that apparatus, I couldn't get my knees high enough to put the bar back in place and my back hurt too much to allow me to lift up on the handle with one arm and put the bar back with the other. I saw this really FIT woman looking at my dilemma. She rolled her eyes at me and walked away. I called someone else over and told them I was at failure and couldn't put the bar back in place so he helped me out. I felt like a fool but was also mad at the woman. No matter how stupid I thought something looked, I would never walk off and leave a person struggling with a bunch of free weights sitting on their legs. I did the rest of my workout on the nautilus machines to make sure I had no more mishaps, came home and vented to all of you nice people.

Thank you I feel much better now!

Tiki

WaterRat
05-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Yesterday was back to the gym after 3+ weeks away. Did a LBWO and only had to drop down 10# on most exercises. :) No cardio since we were pressed for time, so I'll try to get a long walk in this afternoon. It's a cool, raw, overcast, generally gloomy day here. I worked in the yard all yesterday afternoon, so my arms are a little sore from the raking. They'll have their gym workout on Monday. I'm determined to make the 2# I lost on vacation morph into more, so I'm writing our my goals for exercise and eating and posting them on the fridge. I should do it for work too, as it's the snacks there, plus people twisting my arm to eat out, that often does me in. :lol:

tikanique
05-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey Pat, we were posting at the same time. As for lunch at work, do what I do. Don't carry any money to work. People don't like dragging you out if you can't pay your own food bill!

Tiki.

RavenToy
05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey WaterRat .. noticed you're in AK. I did my 35 year stint up there - born and raised thing - till about 10 years ago. Moved down here to thaw out. ;) I'm anti-social at best, so don't have the work issues. :s: I just pack a lunch and be done with it.

Tik - Bad, badder, baddest!? Sorry, I had to giggle at that. I'm so sorry someone would be so arrogant and self centered as to see someone in a predicament and walk away. Those kind of people make me very annoyed. Hope your back feels better!

I'm on forced vacation from pilates because I came off a horse last week and bruised my pelvis. It bites, but at least it's high up enough so it doesn't stop me from riding, running, or lifting!

Mel
05-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Tiki- That's horrible! I had a similar incident a while ago but I wasn't hurt, so it's more funny than agonizing. I tried "sit squats" for the first time (you actually sit down on a low platform then get up again) without realizing I had to lighten the load by about 30%. On my first rep, I sat...and stayed there. The gym was nearly empty, and a very small woman came over, looked at me, said h"un, I don't think I can help you" and walked away! She didn't even go get someone else! I sat there laughing for a few minutes, then yelled for the head trainer who I knew was in his office. He came out laughing. But I'd be furious if I'd been hurt. You need to really lighten up on split squats...and back and legs together aren't a real good idea. But it sounds like you've already figured all that out. Hope you heal quickly.

Raven! Welcome back :wave:

Pat- Nice to have you back, too. Your trip sounds wonderful. Hope the cone-head kitty is doing well.

Ellen- I wish I could muster up your enthusiasm for running. I went for a run (uh, really a jog) yesterday. I did about 3 1/2 hilly miles and hated every minute of it. My back is sore today, but in truth, it's been sore for several weeks. I just like to blame the running :lol: I used to be a runner...I don't know what happened other than too many miles on these old hips and knees.

I think I'll go take a bike ride between rain showers and loads of laundry. Bye!

Mel

Ilene
05-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Tiki and Mel -- That's :censored: awful!! People can be so :doh: ....

Today I had an ok run it was on the dreadmill and it felt like I was on there for ever!! I quit after an hour... I'm so lazy today I must be expecting my periods or something...

DS 17th birthday we are going our for supper later when he finishes his swimming course...