Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:46 AM   #1  

Default ~~Black Vinegar~~ and ~~Noni Juice~~

I am aware that this has it`s health benefits but what is the real deal?

Anyone know?

When I went to Hawaii there were tons of farms with noni plants, it is very bitter, but taste ok with mixed juice, are their any diet or health benefits....
Old 05-09-2005, 03:19 AM   #2  
it's always something

There are a ton of sites devoted to noni juice. Of course ALL of them sell it, so any information you find there will be with the purpose of making a sale. Noni juice is an MLM product, which means the main purpose of the product is to make money.

The resident nutritionist with BellaOnline has written a very helpful article on noni juice.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4883.asp
and
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5214.asp

Apparently, noni juice is mostly sugar water.

Supplement Watch has this to say: (from a previous post credited to MrsJim)

Quote:
Supplement Noni (Morinda citrifolia)

Description Noni (Morinda citrifolia), is also known as Tahitian Noni and Indian mulberry. The plant is a small tree found in the Pacific islands and Polynesia. The fruit of the Noni tree is foul-smelling and tasting and resembles a cross between a warty avocado and a pitted mango (not a pretty sight). Noni fruit passes thru several stages of ripening, where it turns from green to yellow to white - and is generally regarded as becoming more disgusting with each stage of ripeness.

Claims · You name it - they claim it…
· "Miracle cure" for Arthritis, Infections, Cancer, Chronic Fatigue, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Digestive disturbances, Inflammation, and many others.

Theory Only if you were starving to death, would you force yourself to eat noni fruit. Because of its foul odor and bitter taste, nobody except the most desperate Polynesians would force themselves to consume noni (and only during times of famine or widespread sickness). Traditional Polynesian healers ("medicine men") have reportedly used noni fruit for treating everything from constipation to ankle sprains - and there are accounts in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) of noni roots being effective for "strengthening" the digestive system.

Scientific Support Despite the fact that noni has been heavily promoted by multi-level marketing companies for virtually every ailment under the sun, there is no convincing evidence that it is has any beneficial effects for any specific condition. Studies do exist, however, to show that noni juice provides a small measure of antioxidant activity (but so do the juices of almost all fruits) and even a few unique polysaccharide compounds that may help immune system function - so these findings may lend a shred of credence to common claims of anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects.

Safety: Noni is not associated with any adverse side effects. Commercial preparations are extensively processed to remove and/or mask the horrendous taste and smell of the native noni fruit, so there is probably more of a safety concern from the added flavors, colors and sweeteners in these concoctions than from the actual noni fruit.

Value Some people will always assign a high mystical value to bad-tasting things from far-off islands - and this is certainly the case with noni juice. Our advice, if you want to drink something that is truly good for you, is to try some orange juice (more antioxidants than noni plus potassium that noni lacks), a V-8 (chock full of carotenoids) or even some apple juice (also packed with antioxidants).

Dosage Commercial noni products are available as juice, tablets and capsules - but there are no scientifically accepted dosage levels for these products. The juices tend to be the most heavily promoted (hyped as cure-alls) with typical dosage recommendations in the range of 4-6 ounces per day. Concentrated forms of the juice may be recommended in lower daily doses of 1-2 tablespoons.
Black vinegar: I can't find any reputable medical sources that even mention it, or references to published studies. I'd be inclined to think it's just hype, like surrounds so many natural remedies. Products like these are usually backed only by references to myserious studies in foreign countries that can't be verified. I don't trust anything without valid proof. I'm a true skeptic, lol.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:22 AM   #3  
it's always something

OH, here is another post by MrsJim letting us know about the FDA cracking down on makers of noni juice for false claims:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...68&postcount=3
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #4  
it's always something

I'm going to have to find some black vinegar, though. All of the sites I found via google said it was very good on Asian foods, and the better quality ones had a deep, smokey flavor. Sounds delicious .
Old 05-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #5  

I guess it is "Green Tea For Me!" and far better tasting...when I was in Hawaii, it was an awful smell, simular to the porkypine fruit (but that one taste good).

I guess you can get the same antioxidents from greentea, rather than an over priced noni juic...

black vinegar...

It does taste good, I thought vinegar alone was good or our bodies, but black is being sold for about $30 a bottle. I am not sure if it is something good to add to the diet or if it has other benefits.

Thank you for your reply and information...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #6  

My aunt sells just about everything under the sun and is a noni juice "dealer". She called us up saying it would cure my dad's cancer and make a pancreas start working again. I'm not sure if my aunt was making these claims for herself, or if they are part of the pitch that comes with the literature to sell it. My other aunt bought some from her and all it did was tear her stomach up. Claims are bogus.

I don't know anything about the black vinegar.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Are you talking about Chinese Black vinegar? It's something like 1.29 a bottle at the asian market. It does taste good.

I have a friend who tries every health sceem that comes along. He did the noni juice for awhile, became a dealer so he could get it at cost. Tried to convince all of us we should try it, but after a sip of it It was just nasty. Yuck. He's now on the rotation diet. It's become a joke with us, "What's XXX eating this week?"
Old 06-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey SecretarySid!

To make sure that others see this info if they are looking for it, they are gonna move this discussion on thyroid under the Dieting with Obstacles thread and it is called:

"Hashimoto's & Synthetic Hormone Replacement Therapy"

I have a reply to your post that I want to be sure you see.

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 06-06-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Closed Thread