General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #1  
On the Leash of My Senses

Default The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe

Once this series (?will it be a series?) is over, I think that will be all my childhood fantasy books made into blockbusters. I read the entire series countless times as a kid. Too bad they started with this one, and not right back with the Magician's Nephew. Oh well, Lucas went back, though perhaps he shouldn't have The trailer will be available here on May 11: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/lb_main.html

Last edited by ggbun; 05-08-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #2  
it's always something

It looks fascinating, can't wait to see the trailer! Gee, it won't be in the theaters until December 9. They like to build up the anticipation, don't they
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 AM   #3  

Um,mmmm.....

They still haven't done "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper.

If you haven't read those, you should check them out.

MUCH MUCH BETTER than Tolkein, IMO.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #4  

Thumbs up

Oh cool - I'll check her out. I love great fantasy and detest even slightly non-great fantasy, so I hardly ever read any. Maybe fantasy is a little bit my favourite and I can't tolerate less than perfect.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #5  

Do you like the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey?

I love it! I kind of want to read the new addition to it, written by Anne's son, Todd, but I'm afraid to. I'm afraid it'll be a let-down or not "the real thing."
Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #6  

I remember reading those! I think I picked one up a few years ago and found it hadn't retained its magic. Although, now that I think about it, I think I picked up a book that reminded me of the Pern series, but wasn't & I didn't like it too much.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #7  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

4myself,

OMG I loved "The Dark is Rising" series. I read them in third grade and they totally enchanted me. Every once in a while I think I should try to pick up the set and reread them.. but I'm scared it just won't be the same.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Never heard of The Dark is Rising. Not a super fan of fantasy but totally loved the Narnia series. I have bought them for DS and he is reading the Magician's Nephew now. It seems odd, when my parents bought my set back in 197*, The Magician's Nephew was numbered book 6 in the series, right before The Last Battle. However, DS's grandmother bought him the complete works in one hard cover book and The Magician's Nephew is the first one in that book. I wonder why they chose to different releases with the books in different order.

At any rate, I'm glad the movie won't come out until December. That gives me time to have DD read it. She won't read any of the Harry Potter stuff because she has already seen the movies.

Tiki
Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 AM   #9  

Well, technically, if you want to put them "in order," "The Horse and His Boy" would come before "Prince Caspian," "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "The Silver Chair."

I think, but I haven't ever checked the copyright dates, that "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" really IS the first in the series and "The Magician's Nephew" is a prequal.

I think it is right that "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" come 1st in any format.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:30 AM   #10  

Tani--

I'm 29 and still love the Cooper books. I actually think I like them better now than I did when I was younger, because I'm able to pick more details from them.

Go. Go. Read the books.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself
Well, technically, if you want to put them "in order," "The Horse and His Boy" would come before "Prince Caspian," "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "The Silver Chair."

I think, but I haven't ever checked the copyright dates, that "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" really IS the first in the series and "The Magician's Nephew" is a prequal.

I think it is right that "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" come 1st in any format.
I was a HUGE Narnia fan when I was a kid/teen - and you're absolutely dead on - LWW is the first book in the series.

I personally feel that Clives Staples Lewis would turn over in his grave if he knew the publisher had arbitrarily decided to 're-order' the series (BTW this happened only recently) - sure, you might be chronolgically correct by starting with MN, but to tell the truth, MN is one of the weaker books in the series; I could well imagine that someone starting with MN might not be encouraged to read the rest of the books. Actually IMO, MN is a very nice lead-in to the final book in the series "The Last Battle" which I believe was Mr. Lewis' intention - to show the beginnings of Narnia, just before the end.

I hadn't heard of the Disney project. In the meantime, you might want to hunt down a series of videos made by the BBC and shown in the US on PBS of the first four books (by that I mean LWW, PC, Dawn Treader, and Silver Chair). The special effects and animal costumes are a bit on the cheesy side, but they are pretty faithful to the books.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #12  

Here's the website for the movie trailer for TWW, if anyone is interested.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/the...esofnarnia.html

From there, click on "trailers & clips," then on the letter "C" and it'll get you to the place you need to be.

Last edited by 4myloves; 05-25-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Closed Thread