Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - do you like it long and slow, or quick and easy?

Suzanne 3FC
05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Do you prefer quick, easy to prepare recipes that have short ingredient lists?

Or do you like to spend more time in the kitchen, and it doesn't matter to you how complicated or complex the recipe is?

Ilene
05-06-2005, 10:26 PM
There Suzanne, after pondering, I have answered :lol: ....

Suzanne 3FC
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Thank you ! I was considering deleting the thread out of embarassment that no one bothered :lol: And since you are the only voter so far, we all know you like quickies :rofl:

There's actually a reason for this post, we are creating some original recipes and want to know how far we should go :)

deleted
05-06-2005, 10:36 PM
I was almost afraid to open this thread!:o :D But I did vote............

Suzanne 3FC
05-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks :lol: It looked like the whole forum scattered off for a minute! Glad you stuck around :)

I used to search out fast and easy recipes, but never really enjoyed my food. Maybe that's one of the reasons I used to reach for prepared meals so often. Since I've started spending more time in the kitchen and experimenting with foods, I feel like I'm eating a lot healthier.

Luciole
05-06-2005, 11:06 PM
The longer that I'm in the kitchen, the more likely I am to pick at the various ingredients or stages of what I'm cooking. Every minute that I spend in there is dangerous!!!

For that reason I picked quick n' easy. Get me in, get me food, get me out :)

SuchAPrettyFace
05-07-2005, 01:02 AM
I enjoy...um...cooking. ;)

I like it to taste good, so I am willing to sacrifice time. Then again I am single & don't have to answer to anyone, so there ya go. *shrugs*

Marti
05-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Wow....let me tell you...this really caught my eye!

But I have to admit...my honey does most of the cooking and he prefers taking the time to cook a good meal. I think he likes to pretend he's a well known chef!! :lol:

ellis
05-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Suzanne, it kills me when you drop bombs. :lol3: You're usually so unassuming. :rofl:

Ruthxxx
05-07-2005, 07:10 AM
At the moment, I don't really have a choice! :lol3: Great title!

kykaree
05-07-2005, 07:53 AM
:spin: I had to double check I was in the food forum!!!!!

I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen. If I am doing a recipe which will keep me in the kitchen for a while, I chop up some veggies into small dice and keep them in a bowl on the counter, so I can nibble at something "safe".

I do like a good quickie - recipe that is, though, life is too short to the long, slow, intense thing too often - and yes I am still talking about food :angel:

Leenie
05-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Both, I'm easy :s:

Mel
05-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Long, slow, comlicated, and with lots of butter, cream, chocolate or wine is what got me into trouble in the first place. How much trouble can you get into with chicken breast, broccoli, fresh fish, a bit of garlic and some fresh vegies?

I'm a quickie chickie now ;)

Mel

Ellen
05-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Cooking is one of my greatest creative outlets. If I am going to use a recipe, it better be impressive when I am done...and who cares how much time it takes? :) I do agree with Mel, though...when I am being sensible and sticking on plan, the quick route leaves no room for splurges or justification of no no's. :s:

hefty1
05-07-2005, 11:24 AM
:wave: i don't mind a long list as long as it not alot of work and time to cook. ellis where was aviator picture taken? :coffee: :) glen

ellis
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey, Glen! :wave: Toronto, eh?
The photo is of buildings close to the corner of Sparks Street on Elgin Street in Ottawa.
No, I don't work for the government. ;)

Tealeaf
05-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Aw, when I saw the title of this thread I thought I would get to indulge in some ultra mature discussion... though I did think that it was rather odd that it would be in the food section. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ellenuw
05-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh, tealeaf, this is mature - we get to use sharp knives and fire!! ;)

I like fast recipes with a lot of taste and flavor. I have an ever expanding list of favorites and I am constantly experimenting. I don't mind planning, shopping or prep time including chopping and marinating, but once I get started on assembly I want it done in 30 minutes or less (not too demanding, am I?).

Meg
05-07-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm a quickie chickie like Mel. :D Food USED to be a huge source of pleasure in my life: reading and collecting recipes, preparation, beautiful presentation, and of course - eating it. :cbg: No more. I found that I had to switch gears and think of food as fuel and not a source of pleasure in order to lose (and keep off) the weight. Now it's about as plain and basic as it gets and that's just fine with me. If I ever find myself eating for the taste of something rather than the nutrition, then I know I'm in trouble. Cooking's simply another chore, about as exciting as cleaning the bathroom. I know it's not that way for everyone, but after four years of weight loss and maintenance, that's the way it is for me. :shrug:

teckeygirl
05-09-2005, 09:18 AM
I get satisfaction by taking a lot of time to prepare something that tastes as good as a chef-prepared meal. I also enjoy making something I once thought was "too hard" or "too complicated".

I think a lot of people sort of revere their parents and grandparents as these "Awesome" cooks.. and I sort of do the same. I want to someday be as good at making authentic Italian cuisine as my dad and his family... I want to be as good as my mother at baking and making not only good food, but good for you food. Even now my mother sends me recipes from Cooking Light, etc cause she knows I'd rather eat healthier.

I remember the day I made an apple pie for the first time - homemade rolled out dough and everything..and it was great! I felt like I could do anything!

However, reality check. I have 2 young boys and a boyfriend to feed everyday and every other weekend we get his kids - so 4 boys and a grown man to feed. And I'm just not going to take as long to make dinner every day as I sometimes might like to. So fast and easy is also very important to me. I only work part-time right now, so things arent as hectic as they used to be when I was full-time, but its still busy enough on most days to prevent me from being the Mrs. Cleaver mom ;)

mauvaisroux
05-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Gee, now that you have my attention! Nice title for this thread :rofl:

I prefer recipes that can be cooked in about 30 - 45 minutes with simple ingredients that I don't have to run all over town to try and find.

On the weekend when I have more time I will indulge in a more complicated recipe but during the week I need to stay within the 30 - 45 minute range.

beachgal
05-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I love food. And I like it to be good and worth my while. I've always liked to eat sitting down with a knife and fork, with the food at the right temperature. I'm known for getting up in the middle of the meal to microwave my food if it's gotten too cold. ;)

So, I don't snack during cooking (unless I'm stepping away for 20 mins while things simmer...then I'm tempted), and I love long recipes...the longer the better! I work until 6 p.m. but I'll spend 3 hours in the kitchen after that if that's what it takes to make a good meal. :T

That said, there are nights where we have a lot going on and I don't have the luxury of time. Still, I'd rather have a good recipe than something with five ingredients that tastes bland. You know?

FallenFaerie27
05-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I always ALWAYS mess up recipes that have more than 5 or 6 SIMPLE ingredients! :o ;)

tikanique
05-11-2005, 11:15 AM
I don't mind long and slow if its someone else doing most of the work :o , but if its ME in the kitchen, I need it to be quick. My life is so busy with work, kids, cheering, track, gym, etc. that I need to put the meal together quick, sling it on the table, eat and then get on to the next thing. The quicker meals are also easier to teach the crew how to prepare. AND, the longer I am in the kitchen the more I want to rummage through the crew's junk food cabinet and eat their lunchbox stuff.

Tiki.

Tani
05-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Nine days out of ten I'm in a time crunch and have to keep it short and simple. A couple times a month though, I love to cook something fancy and time consuming :)

My day to day meals are either quick things like salads, wraps and stirfries, or crock pot soups and stews that I slow cook overnight, refrigerate in the morning and reheat for dinner when I get home from work.

Suzanne 3FC
05-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Your replies have been very interesting! I expected to get responses about not having time to cook, or cooking was always a hobby, etc. I see that sometimes, the time spent preparing a meal seems to have more to do with your relationship with food than the food itself. I hadn't counted on that. I find my own relationship with food is changing, but it's because I'm spending more time in the kitchen. When I spend more time preparing meals, I think more about what is actually in them, and experiment to make them healthier, without giving up complex flavors or textures.

With so many different needs and approaches to food, no wonder there isn't a "one size fits all" diet.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies!

Islander
05-12-2005, 02:00 AM
I love using my crockpot and electric grill. I just don't want to spend that much time in the kitchen with food. ;) Don't trust myself. lol One of my daily meals will be a huge salad. I also like making soups or chili. Love leftovers... With the warm weather, we'll be doing more BBQ. :hungry:

GizmoV
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
When I spend a lot of time in the kitchen the food is good, but then I want to eat more of it. I like the quick and easy except for crock pot cooking and special occasion cooking. Love the title, it made me stop and take a look.

MoveMoveMove
05-16-2005, 06:42 PM
You know, Linda Howard had a line like this in Dying to Please and it didn't matter to the hero what the answer to the question was.;)

It's been so long since I've been in the kitchen that I'm not sure how to answer. One of my hobbies is reading cookbooks and I mark the recipes I'd like to try. One of the notes I make is if I think the recipe is time consuming. When I start cooking again, I may try those recipes but they probably won't be at the top of my list.

For me, it's the cleaning up after I'm done that's the pain, not the time involved or the number of ingredients. I'm one of those people who dirty up every dish in the kitchen while I'm cooking and I hate to wash dishes but don't like dishwashers.

Personally, I love soups and stews so if it can be thrown in a crock pot to simmer away, great. I guess for me, if the hands-on time is short, it's a good thing.

laura_on_a_bike
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
on my off days i have been known to spend the whoel day in the kitchen. i cook for the whole week so i am not tempted to eat junk. i absolutely love cooking, being around food, talking about food, trying out new recipes, and sharing my talent with others. i find that the more i hone my skils, the healthier i eat, and the more i enjoy food in moderate ammounts. i will own a bed and breakfast witha restraunt before i die.

gray eyed girl
05-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I love to spend time in the kitchen, trying new recipes. I'm a big foodie. I'm slowly getting over the urge to taste everything I cook though.

Solus
05-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I take a lot of pleasure out of preparing meals that taste good. It's even more pleasurable to serve these meals to others and bathe in all the compliments. My cooking is one of the few areas I really get compliments on. There are some dishes, like my salsa, which get requested at every family function I attend. I don't get many ego boosts, so I take 'em where I can get 'em.

I'm on day 12 of being completely OP and this is the FIRST time I have ever gone more than FIVE days without breaking down. I know it's because I have taken the time to prepare all but 2 of my meals (and snacks) these past 12 days, and every one of those meals have been delicious, filling, and satisfying. I realized the reason I failed before in my last attempt to lose weight was because I ate nothing but those little frozen dinners and not only was I always hungry, I was profoundly unsatisfied. I lost weight, but I was miserable. It wasn't long before I turned more and more to my "off" day. Then I would need my "off" day in the middle of the week instead of at the end. After a while I needed two "off" days a week just to get through. Eventually, everyday was an off day.

This time is different. I always feel satisfied. It takes time and effort, but in my opinion, my health is worth it.

ArmyGirl1974
06-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I totally agree with what Solus just said. For me however, the only thing that will get me away from the frozen foods are the quick, easy recipes because I really don't know how to cook. I will tackle quick easy things, and I know that I will enjoy my food more if I make it fresh. It's crazy that I never learned to cook, but I also relate to the ladies who say that they always regarded food as "the enemy" and wanted to get out of the kitchen fast! I have to change my relationship with food and how I deal with it. If I never cooked before, I need to learn how to cook.

chick_in_the_hat
01-16-2006, 06:55 PM
For everyday - I like quick and easy....but every once in a while I like experimenting. I was surfing the archives and couldn't resist bumping this poll up. :devil:

futuresurferchick
01-17-2006, 10:48 PM
For me, the quicker the better.;)

HappyWife
01-21-2006, 04:02 PM
The fewer the ingredients the better. I don't like to add calories if I can make a decent dish with fewer.:dizzy:

72butterfly
02-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I am not that gifted in the kitchen so quick & easy is better for me.