Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #1  
Staying strong

Default looking for acceptance

Well, I'm not sure if joining these fourms will do me any good, or if it's actually hindering my 'progress' towards getting better.

I have ED NOS, been diagnosed for almost a year now. I'm 19, 5'4 and about 113 pounds.
I'm trying to lose weight still, but mainly tone up. I've started jogging and I joined a gym today, in hopes that I'll be able to get stronger, as I've lost a lot of strength.

The highest point I've been in weight, was 220 pounds, at 5 feet. That was a few years ago now, but I'm still in the 'fat mentality'. It's hard to get rid of, but hopefully these communities will help me realise things about being healthy and happy, and loving myself for me. Even though '3FC' as a title itself, some people would probably hate my being here. I'm sorry, but I cannot help what I feel or what I do. I just want to get healthy and be happy, and this has been the friendliest community that I've come across in my searches for weight-related communities.

I hope that you will accept me, and share my experiences as they go on, as I would like to yours.

I hope everyone is well, and taking care!
Maddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Maddy, we're so glad to have you here.
Joining a forum in search of support is a big step for some people. I hope you'll find as much here as I have in this very caring community.

You're definitely in good company. I'm sure no one will hate you , but they may misunderstand you.
I hope you don't mind if I include a definition here of ED NOS...

"NEWSFLASH 9/10/03: For years I've lamented about the absence of good books that deal with the subject of ED-NOS; Constance Rhodes has come out with Life Inside the "Thin Cage." Check for it at your local bookstore or online!!!

The term "not otherwise specified" bothers me, but that is how the DSM-IV categorizes it. It's an eating disorder without a name in a way. Basically, the formal diagnosis of "Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified" is a catch-all for eating disorders that don't exactly fit the parameters of anorexia or bulimia. It is a very broad category, because it may can mean many things:

* A person who severely restricts food intake but is not yet underweight by DSM-IV standards
* A female who meets all other criteria for anorexia but continues to have regular menstrual periods.
* A person who regularly binges WITHOUT engaging in inappropriate compensatory behaviors such as purging (also known as binge eating disorder).
* Someone who binges and purges but does not meet the frequency or duration requirements for a diagnosis of bulimia
* Someone who regularly purges after eating regular amounts of food, but is not yet "clinically underweight."
* Someone who regularly chews food and spits it out without swallowing, but does not meet the criteria for either bulimia or anorexia.
* Any individual who is recovering from or just about to enter one of the "specified" eating disorders.

Often, people categorized as having ED-NOS are basically anorexic or bulimic, but cannot be classified as such because of a technicality. Obviously, ED-NOS can very easily lead to a diagnosis of one of the two other clinical eating disorders. Some sources point to as many as 50% of eating disorder cases being diagnosed as ED-NOS. I have a feeling that although many of these cases might be better classified as having binge eating disorder, if and when that becomes its own separate diagnosis, it also might indicate that the folks at the American Psychiatric Association needs to rethink the criteria for diagnosis of anorexia and bulimia.

In the meantime, if you mention "ED-NOS" to most laypeople, they will not have a clue what you are talking about. While anorexia and bulimia get all the publicity, people diagnosed as NOS are often left in the shadows. They may look at the criteria for anorexia and bulimia and feel puzzled. They know something is "off" about their eating habits, but feel invalidated because nothing out there tells them that what they have .is in fact an eating disorder. Invalidation, usually unintentional, may also come from family or friends. (The person who has lost fifty pounds by starving themself but is still overweight will more likely get praise from loved ones rather than concern, for example.) Luckily, in this day and age, more sites on the internet are beginning to talk about the "other" eating disorders to bring validation for those who aren't officially bulimic or anorexic. And an author by the name of Constance Rhodes has come out with a book called Inside the "Thin" Cage which deals with chronic dieting and ED-NOS.

A friend of mine once had to go to the emergency room due to complications of her eating disorder. When she told the triage nurse that her diagnosis was ED-NOS, the nurse replied, "Oh, so you don't actually have an eating disorder?" It's bad enough that the general public doesn't know much about this category, but the fact that someone in the medical field has that sort of attitude makes me both angry and sad. Even though ED-NOS may not get quite as much publicity as its more infamous "cousins," it is important to remember that ANY eating disorder has the potential to be lethal. In the long term, it's not the label that matters; it's the PERSON. And a person diagnosed with ED-NOS deserves just as much care, consideration, and support as any other eating disordered patient."
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #3  

Welcome Maddy.

I don't resent people who aren't overweight, not even around here. Not crazy about the title of the site myself

I'm sorry your ED is giving you a hard time. ((hugs))
CackyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #4  
Staying strong

Thanks. =) You guys are sweet.
*hugs*
Maddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #5  

Dear Maddyg, Welcome I am a COE and very thankful for this forum which I find very helpful in many ways. This ED thing is quite consuming for all of us whether we are overweight or thin (Ive been both) and was negative and self critical thin and overweight. I'll be praying for you Susanna
Susanna is offline   Reply With Quote